[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

59-E47642-E3-F8-4-E97-9-BEA-0-B6-E8-C26-

It appears that the ship is Argo Navis, a symbolic archetype of a great ship which crosses the waters of the Deluge. The Argo Navis finds references in the Bible, Egyptian, Greco-Roman and Hindu mythology. 

The flying fish is the constellation of Volans, the constellation is represented by a type of tropical fish that can jump out of the water and glide through the air on wings. In early celestial maps, the flying fish was often depicted as accompanying the ship Argo Navis. 

06-DFE290-4-EF3-4027-9-C37-DAB9-B7-ADD92

The man ( KJH) and woman( CSH) on the ship the animation could be referencing the Myth of the Egyptian gods Osiris and Isis ( husband and wife) who escaped the deluge on the Argo Navis. The big waves represent the deluge which in the drama context would be the never ending problems for the main leads. 

Image of the Argo Navis with the Volans

3-F7-C6-DED-1481-4-E7-C-BE34-588-AF4303- 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 14

Just now, KymberleeD said:

Had to sign and join the fun here... been watching from day 0 and been lurking around here for updates for a while now. 

JinHyuk is sooooo adorable... every time he smiles just melts everything in me...! like i just want to keep this guy in my pocket seriously!!! can we clone him!!!??? 

Suhyun is sooo pretty and soooo perfect... that level of elegance in every inch.... but when she cries, oh you would just start crying with her and when she bickers, she so darn cute!!! how could that be possible...? she isn't human...promise!

i love how they change or gave an alternate title on this drama... because really... it's all about that spark when they first and every time they "Encounter" each other - it's the timing whenever one is the for the other. 

a big thank you to those who are recapping live... you dont know the kind happiness you are bring to the less privileged to watch the live broadcast like me!!! hihihi...!

xoxo, 

kym - (why did i sign in, why did i wrote here oh yeah...i love this and i am enjoying this and i am feeling in love with this...so decided to hang in here around here for good!) 

so good you too chose to :D

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

@stroppyse

I don't think CSH should get back together with her ex-hubby either, but I'm not sure that he did cheat on SH. Rather, I think he gave the appearance of cheating on SH, probably in an attempt to make SH jealous and feel something for him. The reason I think so is because there is a scene in a past episode where WS is eating dinner with his secretary who asks him how long they have to keep this up. Though this scene was set up with some ambiguity, that along with his flashbacks of meeting SH leads me to think that he had not cheated after all, though he tells her that he did

I also believe that he didn't cheat on her but that's not the point. It is about the impression he gave, the pain he caused. Falling in love with another woman and saying to the official wife, he fell in love with another woman and wants to spend the rest of his life with her is actually like cheating. As a married man he is supposed to be loyal and faithful and not look at other women. These words have the same impact than adultery... Moreover, CSH is not someone who will express her feelings hence JWS is assuming that she never loved him back. I sense that she did have some affection for him but in his eyes, it was never shown because she never smiled like that. But affection can be shown in  many different ways. In my opinion, he was used to be pursued by women and he thought that being treated like this means to be loved. CSH has been raised differently, therefore it could be that JWS just overlooked it.  CSH showed interest towards JH with gaze, her hands aso... did JWS pay attention to her body language? I doubt it, I also think that JWS is not subtle and not sensitive enough to pay attention to people's feelings. From my point of view, he is the exact opposite of JH. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

Honestly, if you discover that your husband wants to marry someone else as he fell in love in another woman or cheated on you (because that's what he told her), wouldn't you feel hurt and would you be able to act as if nothing had happened? I wouldn't... Moreover, in a lot of divorce cases, the ex-spouse is more harsh than that, they sometimes try to ruin the life of the ex-spouse. CSH is just cold, distant but firm and I agree with her behavior. He keeps trying getting close to her, to intrude in her life.

I don't feel sorry for JWS because his prison is self-made and not forced by his mother. The latter is using every tricks to force CSH to come back... she knew that her son loved CSH and tormented her for not loving her son back. JWS knows now that his mother knew all along about his feelings, yet he doesn't really stop his mother. He is just doing control damages. JWS has much more power over his mother than CSH over her own mother. He is facing less pressure than CSH. My question is: does he know about the clause in the divorce contract? If not, then this underlines how superficial his care and worrying is because he could have influenced his mother otherwise ... if not, then he is responsible for CSH's terrible situation.

Yes, JWS and HI are similar. They thought, time was on their side, which is quite stupid. There is nothing free in this world. In order to be loved, you need to work for it. JWS and HI never confessed their love to the other and that's their own mistake. JH was just nice to her, he even said that she was a friend. So if she wanted something else, she should have been more proactive. 

I think you are too strict on WS. But then, it's what you think and I am not trying to change that.

First of all, I already said I don't blame SH for being harsh on WS. I understand why she acts that way towards WS. But WS does try to help her - that's a fact, even though she doesn't want to accept his help. 

Secondly, I don't really see signs of WS trying to intrude of SH's life. They barely met in private after the divorce and he did not try being nice to her by saying sweet words. He did what SH asked him to by telling him mom not to mess up with the hotel or get them back. He was worry about his mom interfering in painting issues and try to solve it for SH.  Yes, he brought a dress because he remembers SH's birthday but he doesn't want to make the receiver feel pressure so he makes it seems like he casually picked up on the way without putting much effort - just like how a jerk he is in SH's eyes. When the gift was returned, he didn't seem to be offended by it. Yes, he looked up JH's information, he is just SH's ex and he doesn't have the rights to tell SH to stay away from JH or make JH stay away from SH. But he still has feeling for SH, so it is normal for him to feel upset and jealous. So far, did he even do anything harmful to JH or give JH harsh words like his mother? 

Thirdly, you really think he can stop his mother? WS was born in a very wealthy and powerful family - his life was groomed to be the heir of a big corporation from the beginning. Look at how his mom can still go his office to talk about work - WS can be a director but it does not mean he has the full control of the corporation or family wealth. His mom is obviously the one leading everything. Remember when he threatened his mother that he would live his own life - she remarked what own life is that. WS and SH never had their own life because of the environment they live they but also because they made their choice - not to go against their parent's wish, not to abandon their status. SH's prison was self-made too. Her mom forced her to get married but she could say no as an adult and chose her own life - she didn't. SH can't change her own mom's thinking or stop her, what make you think WS can change or stop his mom? These two moms are basically hopeless human-being. WS's life is sad in its own way. What can he do other than trying to solve damages that his mom causes? He can only be free if he abandon everything to choose his own path - it requires courage and a big push. SH finally finds that push in JH in her thirties; WS need his push too. 

I never feel sorry for WS for his failed marriage. Not information to know what went wrong but he is obviously not the right man for SH. I only feel sorry for the cage he was put in but he chose to stay in it until now.

And being proactive does not guarantee a happy ending; if you are not the right person, you can still fail. You can only guarantee that you don't feel regret for not trying, no matter what the result is. 

• Like 4

what i am really amazed is.. to see that transition from young cheerful polite stranger to a man who hardly ever says anything but is so stubborn!!

I like the way JH's stubborness is being shown to us.. every little word, every little action - the way he has pursued CSH because he liked her from the moment go.. (literally, not one word he said with respect to her was motiveless)

not daunted by society, rich status, relative life status - like nothing.

Very very confident and very strong personality - and the types who does not shout.

Plus a big shoutout to the fact that he is manipulative and very observant but then again you wouldn't notice it if you are not a 3rd party observing him.

I just like the layers in this character. CSH for now is pretty straight - repressed cinderella and so are other characters. But, i think i like MIL, hubby, and JH.. and just maybe daddy. He can't be that innocent.

i like how KJH looks small in front of all .. but in flashback scenes with HI.. he looks so much bigger - the one with the power/dominating - like college stud and HI is the smaller presence in the frame..

i don't know how they did it.. but that scene stands out, specially shop scene. KJH has never looked that big a presence in any frame till now which reflects the people he is with in the frame... but i guess the fact that HI is in one sided love hence she is the smaller one.

Don't know how to explain this.. but brilliance how they did it

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

#JinSoo sounds nice! Count me in!

I watched ep 6 raw and I just love the little intimate moments of holding hands...putting her hand with his in his pocket, celebrating their pre-relationship with a cake and coffee,  tying JH's tie, JH putting his scarf on CSH etc...Their expressions are simply so sweet and beautiful! Waiting for Eng sub to comment. 

Best moment for me for now is the final admission by CSH that she's in some relationship with the 'young' guy....KJH was deeply touched and could not hide his happiness....and their eyes locked together....it was sheer heaven to see this beautiful couple! I'm definitely shipping PBG with SHK as the most beautiful and sweetest screen couple! :D

• Like 18

34 minutes ago, jl08 said:

#JinSoo sounds nice! Count me in!

I watched ep 6 raw and I just love the little intimate moments of holding hands...putting her hand with his in his pocket, celebrating their pre-relationship with a cake and coffee,  tying JH's tie, JH putting his scarf on CSH etc...Their expressions are simply so sweet and beautiful! Waiting for Eng sub to comment. 

Best moment for me for now is the final admission by CSH that she's in some relationship with the 'young' guy....KJH was deeply touched and could not hide his happiness....and their eyes locked together....it was sheer heaven to see this beautiful couple! I'm definitely shipping PBG with SHK as the most beautiful and sweetest screen couple! :D

i will bet my fortune that korea will pick up on the word and make it a trend

"pre-relationship" stage..

they are anyway super unique when it comes to love.. like the entire country refuses to grow beyond the early teenage years.. where a guy looking at you = totally in love :P

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

35 minutes ago, nubianlegalmind said:

What say you chingus of our JINSOO couple!

I can't say a thing because I am too busy applauding your excellent, well-reasoned, and beautifully argued post.  If I'm ever in trouble, I'd want you on my side!  :)

• Like 9
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 1

I have just finished watching Encounter /Boyfriend in English Subttle, sometimes I smiles with their pre-relationsip happy moments, sometimes I gnash with the dramatic lives KJH and CSH have to face from their pre-relationship. 

'Politics' and 'Chaebol' society could look powerful but behind the scenes sound pity indeed. ;)<_<

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, Jemrie said:

"No one can stop flowers from blooming in spring. No matter how hard the flowers try to resist, they all end up blooming in the End." -Mr.Nam #Encounter #Boyfriend ep.5

If Encounter taught us anything, it’s that you really can’t stop two people in love. It’s a cliche but it’s so true

True!

it was also the drama writer’s way of dealing with ageism. Since Soohyun is the flower and blooming of the flower is synonymous with youth. 

@thistle thanks! I took a course in Greco Roman mythology three years ago in University. It’s paying off.

the official illustrator of the drama has an exhibition in Seoul till later this month. If anyone is in Seoul swing by the gallery and he could probably provide more insights into the illustrations.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, nubianlegalmind said:

. This drama is showing that women can be the breadwinner, be brilliant and successful, have friends, have a man by their side that they don't need those things from and it is okay. CSH is fair, she is smart, she is honest and she is sincere. Because of this, the workers of the hotel have a safe and solid environment to work in, and they have a fair chance to succeed working there. 

I will be glad when this is no longer an anomaly. A woman who is not dependent on a man for money or lifestyle, but simply for love and companionship

KJH is brave and stands WITH her, by her side and allows her to be her awesome self and he isn't intimidated by it. He is always thinking about what she would like and he worries about her well-being. He comes to her. He meets her where she is. That is enough. He doesn't have to be wealthy. She already has money. He doesn't have to wield control, he can allow her to take the lead sometimes. He isn't trying to change her or tell her what to do. He respects her and makes her laugh and has opened up her heart and her mind to the freedom of life. Misogyny often tells men that they have to be in control, be the breadwinner, be successful, and that women needn't worry about things like that. This drama is showing that women can be the breadwinner, be brilliant and successful, have friends, have a man by their side that they don't need those things from and it is okay.

I have to quote all the points that hit bulls eye. Very well said. I could not have explained myself better. :thumbsup:

I was just wondering, this is NOT the first Noona series... I haven't watched other k-drama noona series. And I'm really wondering if they are as deep as this one? What made this series different from the others? Apart from our leads being really dashing and gorgeous, of course. Anyone?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I just finish watching episode 6 in Viu and the ending was burst me ito tears with a smile soohyun is a brave woman now she did not afraid at all and the smile in the face of Jinhyuk daebak till now cant stop smiling jinsoo couple worth waiting for a week again cant stop rewatching this drama 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Very very confident and very strong personality - and the types who does not shout.

Plus a big shoutout to the fact that he is manipulative and very observant but then again you wouldn't notice it if you are not a 3rd party observing him.

I just like the layers in this character. CSH for now is pretty straight - repressed cinderella and so are other characters. But, i think i like MIL, hubby, and JH.. and just maybe daddy. He can't be that innocent.

I really like your whole comment, but especially like that you've pointed out just how intelligent JinHyuk is.  He has very high emotional intelligence, which is rare in a male drama-land character, but serves his character well as a foil to SooHyun.  She, for all of her brilliance and strength, really suppresses that side of herself and just exists without allowing herself to feel the joys and pains of daily life.  And as we've seen, she has good reason to.  But through JinHyuk, I think SooHyun is finding that it's possible to do more than make it through each day. 

I can't help but wonder, as SooHyun allows herself to truly live each day, if we'll see less of her playing the damsel in distress and instead using that brain of hers to run circles around her enemies.  That is one of the biggest wishes I have for this drama (and for all dramas of this type really-- let the good guys do smart, tricksy stuff too please, drama gods).  And on a somewhat related note, I'm hoping that the drama continues to acknowledge JinHyuk's stubborness and cleverness and lets him really become a true partner to SooHyun.  She deserves that I think-- a partner who can supplement her strengths and cover over her weaknesses.  As well, circling back a bit, I do rather wish that we could explore the somewhat gray side of JinHyuk too?  He's a good person, we've seen that proven, but even nice guys get angry right?

I'm intrigued to see that you like the MIL character.  I'm wondering if you or anyone else sees similarities between her character and the Godfather (I'm referring to the son Michael not Don Corleone)?  From the design of her private office, to the emphasis she places on loyalty to family, to her nasty, cold-blooded tactics, all of it screams to me: the Godfather.  I actually am really enjoying it and am wondering just how far is she going to take her mission to put SooHyun "back in her place".  Perhaps if/when MIL does take things a step too far, we will get to see SooHyun's dad act like a real dad and protect his daughter.  Because right now, I am not impressed. 

Another role in misogyny are women who buy into it. I really hate that the ex-MIL has found that sleazy director to try and succeed CSH. The fact that he confronted her about the message board comments in front of all of the employees should be enough to show them that he isn't fit to lead.

Isn't the Executive Director an interesting choice?  I think that MIL is much too smart to put a patsy like him in place, especially since SooHyun's hotel chain is apparently a booming business.  He'd most likely wreck it, and MIL probably knows it.  I fully believe that she intends to bring SooHyun back, marry her to WooSeok, and then give SooHyun back Donghwa Hotel as a sop.  After all, MIL did tell her son that she plans to treat SooHyun nicely once they remarry. 

Another moment from episode 5 that was telling was when the news show came on and they were discussing the ramen date and KJH was sitting with his family and his brother recognized the sweater because he was wearing it. KJH's mother made a comment about not liking powerful women and that a woman should just take care of her family. This is definitely a foreshadowing. I get the feeling that KJH's mother at some point imagined another life for herself. Also, at some point, I see her and CSH's mother having a conversation that will be very interesting.

Oooh.  That's a really good catch!   I like this interpretation and I really hope you're right.  SooHyun ought to know what a mother should be like.  She doesn't seem to have any older women who care for her... well except maybe for JinHyuk's tea/camera buddy, but that's just starting. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, foolmoondance said:

last night, i was rushing home to catch the somehow delayed broadcast on Naver.

. . .

but then i had t rush myself to the hospital emergency room bec of some food allergy . . .

but while in the cab, while thinking of the worst case scenario

and feeling really out of breath, what or who came to mind???

well there is is my family for practical reasons 

but the next was 'oh no..im gonna miss Encounter OTP tonight...noooooh..' 

(please bear with the long post)

Thank you all for the kind words and thoughts when i posted about The Drama within my own drama last Wednesday night. It was both comical and well, suspenseful. I am feeling much better. yes, thanks to the meds from the pharmacy but i think the recovery (even before the allergy) is more because of the happy hormones I get from this forum.  :blush:

I am amazed at how this space has brought strangers together and how we are being gifted two-nights in a row of every week by the quality of work that we see from our light boxes. Equally amazing is how we have enriched each other with the magic of watching the episodes together from our own corners of the world; and the joy of sharing our knowledge from whatever field or walk of life we have come from and the insights from our own view and experiences of life. I think that's what good storytelling does.  It moves people to trust enough to open up to tell their own stories and to graciously listen to others' as well.

My mind is still full of notes for this week's EPs but still need rest.

So I leave you with this serendipity-laden find just now ---  a quote from one of my fave woman authors, Jungian psychologist and "cantadora" who have put so much focus on stories and symbolisms especially from myths, folk- and  fairy tales. The words also reminded me of what our dear Driver Nam said to SH (Ep 5) while they were in the car,  about the flowers in spring. I just realized how my author might as well be talking to SooHyun. 

" I hope you will go out and let stories happen to you and that you will work them, water  them with your blood and tears and your laughter till they bloom, till you yourself burst into bloom. Then you will see what medicines they make, and  where and when to apply them.That is the work. The only work. "

-- CLARISSA PINKOLA-ESTES, "WOMEN WHO RUN WITH THE WOLVES"

and another MV for Encounter OST #2 of Lee Sora's "Into My Heart"

from YT Channel of Ylime Emanu

do try reading the Spanish translation 

seems even more fitting for the melody

the song is clearly Soo-Hyung's theme.

Chingus, good night/good morning, from this :heart:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I was watching Notting hill. Towards the end of the movie I said, "wait a minute, this scene reminds me of another. I have seen this somewhere" and then I watched encounter with Subs and I marveled. 

SH outing her relationship with JH is identical to Anna Scott indirectly announcing her relationship with William to the public.

The characters are also similar.

Suhyun (hotel owner) and Anna(famous actress) are rich & popular and often face scrutiny in Little things they do.

Jihyuk(former fruit vendor - now hotel worker & Willam(book vendor/librarian) who fell in love with strong women.

When SH announced her relationship, I punched the air & shrieked.

"You go girl. It's about time to take charge of your life".

She's been through so much that all I wanted was for her to be happy.

As for JH, it's gonna be a long & bumpy ride in his new relationship. He's entering a world that's competitive & dangerous and I hope he can handle it well.

James Baldwin said,

"Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war; love is a growing up".

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3