[Drama 2018-2019] Fates and Furies 운명과 분노

the girl who!

January 3, 2019 (Fates & Furies related excerpt)

K-Drama Couch: Revelations, Revenge & Finales Dominate The Last Days Of 2018 Korean Dramas

By Emylyn Castalla | HELLOKPOP

*Mid-Series Thoughts

FATES AND FURIES (SAT/SBS)

fates21-e1546421873493.jpg?zoom=1.5625&resize=620%2C349&ssl=1

The seduction game continues for Hae-Ra and Tae-O. In Joon is still in doubts over his marriage to Soo Hyun, and he keeps recalling Hae-Ra noticing that he isn’t happy. Tae-O wants Soo Hyun to donate her kidney to their daughter, but she wants nothing more than get them out of her life. Seeing her daughter in person, though, she starts to doubt her resolve.

Fates and Furies is a great drama because the cast members all do an excellent job. But truthfully, the lies, the deception, the threats and the revenge can get tiring after awhile. I’m all for Hae-Ra becoming successful because she’s really talented. As an actress, Lee Min Jung is portraying the character very well because you want to root for her. But you are also starting to hate her because she is becoming capable of such deceit.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, foreverempress said:

Is it me or does it seem that SBS does NOT promote this drama at all?

Well, it depends. For example, the main cover of the official SBS page on Facebook is the promo pic of this drama and I see they post previews and such. Maybe they should do more promotion on other networks, but they are promoting it.

If you think this may be the problem why the ratings aren't super successful, I think that's due to the competition of the Saturday slot with "My Only Ally" airing on KBS. This is a difficult time slot because it's the day where more people seem to tune in to watch dramas. I guess this drama could have had more reach if they aired it on another day.

Well, today episodes were a rollercoaster. The drama is progressing quite well and stay consistent which is a very good thing.

About Cha SooHyun, I know almost everyone here hates her or doesn't care about her but I truly think she is the most pitiful character of this drama. No, I don't agree with how she lives her life or how means she is/tries to be but I truly feel sorry for her.
Can we talk about how her mother basically kidnap her child to get rid of her? (All thanks to this journalist by the way) I really think SooHyun loves JTO and Jennie but she is so scared of her mother that she run away to save their lives.
This woman can be how she wants to be, with how she wants to be and is basically sold to a man by her parents (well TIJ is also sold). Her mother must have been like this all of her life, no wonder she is scared of her and does what she wants.

If only TIJ and CSH would open more to the other, they would become good friends and actually help each other. They are in the same situation: their families are their enemies.

I felt so heartbroken when she realized her mother will harm Jennie and went to save her. The whole car scene and Jennie calling her "Auntie" ("who was this grandmother?" "Who are you Auntie" </3) while asking her to not cry while SooHYun asked her the same just moment ago when she asked her if she was an idiot (to follow stranger). Imagine being this close to your child, to love her and yet to be only a stranger for her. Even if she decides to be involved with Jennie in the future episodes, it will never replace all those years lost.

Also, the way she looks anywhere but at her child, heartbreaking.

I guess her mother was right, SooHyun's weakness is JTO and their child.

Never saw this actress before but damn her eyes are amazing, you can see so many emotions in it. The two lead actresses are amazing at their job and at shows emotions. My only regret is the 2nd male lead... his acting isn't that bad but definitely lacking in comparison of the other 3.

Going to watch the episodes once more and will surely post more. Love this drama.

6 hours ago, foreverempress said:

Is it me or does it seem that SBS does NOT promote this drama at all?

You are right. SBS is not uploading any videos of F and F except the preview on YouTube, FB, and other SNS. I asked them why and their answer was they are not permitted to upload it. I guess the production and SBS had some sort of contract. SBS usually posts lots of contents to promote their drama. But, they don't do almost anything for F and F. I am kinda upset. 

Thanks for recap :D its seem the sub will come late , I wouldn’t have time to watch it before I go to work .

My only regret is the 2nd male lead... his acting isn't that bad but definitely lacking in comparison of the other 3

I like ur taking on CSH ,but I never feel disappointed in JT acting , it seem his story takes the back seat just for now , I get that the writer probably wanted to show JT’s fall into angry/crazy man because he was so frustrated he couldn’t get through CSH to help with child illness, in a way I always thinks he wants to bring her down because he doesn’t have the social tools and money to fight for his daughter before that he had money now he gets nuts a little .Either way JT is easier to understand as he is more straightforward and consistent character -_- 

But CSH makes it hard to feel much empathy for her because whenever I start to feel sorry for her , she ruins it by doing something nutty and focused about things that don’t matter and ignore to sort out her mess up life ( her daughter not going anywhere when she gonna do something about her ) I never understand why she keeps want to go throw this marriage , is she trying to do her best for her family or is it pure greed . :sweatingbullets:

I just want to know what written in the paper Hea Ra receives  :D at least she show she care about him to throw out the paper for second. 

In-Joon's brother is a piece of poop; his brother and his daddy has something to do with this mess. He Ra is getting the wrong idea... In-Joon may be in love, that he needs to slow his roll; he's too impulsive and his sister-in-law maybe his Saving Grace with all these bugs she has planted in the house.

Man he really dont need more enemies especially her, he is going to be crush since she wants to marry him now to get revenge  on him.Meanwhile he has not a clue about it and is fighting is on enemies,

Dang approaching him for 2 reasons  both not love love  aint going to go well when the truth comes out.

666AE26A-5227-4B4C-AD22-8B5E7270CA37.jpg

OMG ,  I really have this gut feeling that the writer is going to go with the uncle or Brother , so I wasn’t surprised that the brother was the one who got the affair with the sister  , But I didn’t except either of them will  try to kill her , I know the brother got a dark side ,I only need to look at the fact he abuses his wife to know he capable to hurt anyone , but what is the reason he would try to kill her ,she is a obviously  wasn’t pregnant .

I can’t wait for the flashback to see how it all panned out . The father thought she was clinging to his son , did big brother try to break up with her and she argued with him and threatened him , he went home and explained everything to his mom .They went back to talk to her and they start to argue and he flies into a alcohol rage and hit her and knocked her out cold by accident  and the mother gives her bills and frames In Joon to make things worse . 

The brother is basically a bitter nihilist , but why the doctors didn’t tell the family ,that it could be attempted murder did brother and mother pay the hospital to cover it up , Poor Hea Ra , she will feel even guilty that she didn’t notice it earlier, I thought it was quite understanding to think she committed suicide if she had a history . It’s seem she gonna plan an eye for an eye scenario now to the thug that done this to her sister . 

At this rate I feel like this show can go two routes. Either ‘what happened in bali’, where the female lead is the mistress of the chaebol, or ‘time’ where the female lead ends up marrying the chaebol. But in both cases neither is because of true love. It’s rooted in what the loan shark said correctly, vanity that both sisters have. Not that I blame HR though. If I was in her position I may have done the same or even worse.

now we got a clue as to what happened to her sister. Luckily she is an ex flame of elder brother, not IJ or else I think that would have made things way more awkward. That said, it’s not far fetched if IJ is till involved. Pre-HR he seemed to be. Avery calculating businessman with no notion of love, so helping his father clean up one of his hyung’s flings probably was very easy for him to do without a thought.

i was pLeasantly surprised by how SH handled her mom and Jenny. It makes me wonder if like others have said here, SH made the decisions she did in the past to protect her baby daddy and kid. It wasn’t out of selfishness. Of course, she’s turned into a monster now but blames HR for it (when she was already very vicious by how she would snap at her coworkers when she was an MC in the very beginning episodes). I do hate seeing HR and SH always going at each other’s throats, especially when IJ and baby daddy are so indifferent to each other. Do I seriously have to go through another melo where once again this be women are tearing each other down? I hope that in a twist of events, they will end up becoming allies.

enjoyed reading your kinder take on cha soo hyun @Heartbreakn but like @Ameera Ali, it is still hard for me to empathize with her unlike injoon who makes me feel how trapped he is. with cha soo hyun, maybe it is because she is not doing anything to indicate she is in a kind of jail and seems complicit. so maybe she does care about tae oh but then why go tell her mom about the reporter. she expects the mom to fix the issue somehow and then is shocked her mom would go to such lengths. :huh::sweatingbullets:... so she still is a bit of a mystery....

but poor injoon -- this guy is not a pushover by any means and plays by his own rules. but how miserable he must have been all these years that a little bit of happiness and love however fleeting seems important to risk everything. he knows that hera might be using him and may not be sincere but he is okay if he can be by her side even temporarily and get a break from his insane life...

now with hera's sister -- a big question -- who was she? @philosophie ~ am actually confused by this loan shark character. is he like a family friend who also happened to be a thug that he sometimes felt compelled to threaten hera? how exactly does he know the family so well? and how does he define "vanity"? does he mean ambition beyond one's means?

so while watching, we hear references to this woman that jung ho/hyung had a mess with? and why does she stand out from the others? from what his secretary sarcastically said, jung ho has a complicated personal life. and even the tyrant dad asks if jung ho can't remember because there are so many...so what makes "this woman" different? and what was the mess?

from the doctor's notes, it looks like it might have been homicide but then, we potentially have 2 separate parties. a few episodes back, hera's friend says that if they had found her half hour earlier, she wouldnt have ended up in a coma. by that same token, if she had been admitted half hour later, she may not have made it. so if it was homicide, that same person is not going to go admit her in hospital. so was it something like what happened with cha soo hyun and jennie this episode? where the mom tried to do something and then soo hyun intervenes? have a feeling that the tyrant dad is really merciless and would not hesitate to go to any lengths to teach his enemies a lesson including his own kids.

am also curious about jung ho's wife and how their family went bankrupt just because dad wanted to teach jung ho a lesson 10 years ago. her eyes shone with tears and she looked a bit shocked. did she not know for sure? and afterwards, jung ho sees her in a room and then slinks away afraid when he sees her... so wonder what she is going to do because she doesn't seem as helpless.. but am curious why dad kept her around. was it to show his family a reminder of what would happen if someone crossed him? or a trophy over his enemies?

17 hours ago, foreverempress said:

In-Joon's brother is a piece of poop; his brother and his daddy has something to do with this mess. He Ra is getting the wrong idea... In-Joon may be in love, that he needs to slow his roll; he's too impulsive and his sister-in-law maybe his Saving Grace with all these bugs she has planted in the house.

So much this. Slow your roll my friend. But then his speed is in keeping with his character, neglected love as a child, no one to trust, finally found it, holding on for dear life.

Felt so sad for her after she read the info that thug friend ( love him he is what he is but he looks out for his own) told her not to read. She has something so precious in the palms of her hands but she's about to scrunch it up and throw it in the bin. Deffo it was the slimmy brother and his mum that has her sister where she is and the used In-Joon's name to cover it up.

5 hours ago, Lmangla said:

now with hera's sister -- a big question -- who was she? @philosophie ~ am actually confused by this loan shark character. is he like a family friend who also happened to be a thug that he sometimes felt compelled to threaten hera? how exactly does he know the family so well? and how does he define "vanity"? does he mean ambition beyond one's means?

Honestly after this weekend I started to have a sliver of doubt if maybe the loan shark is actually in love with her....all those times he bullied her cause of the debt maybe was because he was hoping she’d become so desperate she’d offer herself to him to compensate the debt (like I’ve seen in past kdramas like when a man falls in love where the lead dynamic is debtor x loan shark). I think vanity to him was that HR and her sister were always drawn to the flashy jewelry, elegant fashion and prestigious lifestyle of the rich. Beyond just ambition or greed, they See the value in money over poverty. Even a simple life with no money problems but being like middle class wouldn’t be enough. They want to be amongst chaebols and all that.

Obviously it seems that he knew the sisters since young since he commented about how they were like this even when the girls were kids..I am curious what the history is though and why he treated her so badly in the beginning of the show if they went way back with each other.

Hrs sister could be the one the secretary and grandpa were talking about in reference to hyung’s personal life. What a turn of events if HR with end up joining hands with IJs sister in law to get revenge on her husband (since now she’s familiar with masseuse friends and they seem to be in good terms, I would lov to see this alliance...just please more woman working together instead of fighting each other please???). I think the sister in law was so upset with the chairman not because she didn’t know what he did, but that he said it so brazenly in front of her like he did nothing wrong and has no shame for it (even though because of his actions she’s been treated horribly by his family because she’s broke when it’s really all their fault!) unless yes maybe this was first time she got truth even after bugging whole house. Who knows. But looks like there’s more than one person out for revenge with this family

i bet you it was the other way around. Hyung was obsessed with Hrs sister (maybe like a little kid with their toy, not real love) (wasn’t it also interesting how when he heard Hrs full name something rung a bell? Like the last name stuck out to him? Also I don’t think show would mention this girl and everything if it wasn’t all connected and tied together). Chairman got rid of her so there would be no mishaps for hyung. Maybe she found out some dark company secret and wanted to expose it. Or expose hyung cause he was bothering so much like harassing her so she had no choice but to resort to taking it to media and chairman did something before she’d do that (IJ got involved cause it would mean the company get damaged or something so whatever he did was for company).

now we may wonder...how did HRs sister and IJs hyung know each other? We find out that Hrs sister had been taking care of Hrs Italy expenses. How? Well taking a little idea from the show Time, the sister is a hostess/call girl. And he was one of her clients.

so I mentioned I think IJ might still end up marrying SH. Of course it will be against his own will. We know how scary the chairman is. And as much as HR may be sincere with IJ within her impure intentions to reach the top, I could imagine the chairman taking her hostage and putting her on the phone with IJ, threatening her to tell him to marry SH or else she dies. And she goes along with it to survive, maybe not being as upset as she would be if she actually were fully in love with IJ or a naive female lead like some in these melo makjangs. Either way, IJ might marry SH for the same reason SH May have banadoned her kid and JTO. To protect them from the elders. 

5 minutes ago, philosophie said:

Honestly after this weekend I started to have a sliver of doubt if maybe the loan shark is actually in love with her....all those times he bullied her cause of the debt maybe was because he was hoping she’d become so desperate she’d offer herself to him to compensate the debt (like I’ve seen in past kdramas like when a man falls in love where the lead dynamic is debtor x loan shark). I think vanity to him was that HR and her sister were always drawn to the flashy jewelry, elegant fashion and prestigious lifestyle of the rich. Beyond just ambition or greed, they See the value in money over poverty. Even a simple life with no money problems but being like middle class wouldn’t be enough. They want to be amongst chaebols and all that.

kekeke.... in any other drama, that would totally work! the loan shark in love. ^_^ there is a sort of tender/affectionate way he looks at her and she has this very open exasperated look with him like when she puts medicine on his wounds that tells you these two have a very easy going vibe like they grew up with each other and know each other from school.. so it is confusing considering in the beginning he was chasing her for money but maybe he had no choice. or maybe he too doesn't have the luxury of being kind or forming relationships? ... but it certainly makes for a very interesting character in terms of hera as well. how many leads would be quasi friends with a thug? :D

I thought he worked for the big thug that tries to rape her in the early episodes , he wasn’t the one owing her money and asking for it he only was following order , if I could remember correctly he may help her get a loan from the thug . 

but it certainly makes for a very interesting character in terms of hera as well. how many leads would be quasi friends with a thug? :D

Their friendship yesterday reminds me of this drama wok of love . :D Poor Hea Ra she will need all the help to win against biggest thugs around the father . 

Yesterday In Joon’s dad gives me the chills the way he makes  CSH’s dad kneel down and beg for forgiveness 

@LmanglaIts really sad when you think about IJ about to lose everything and he has no one really on his side,now the only person he trusts think he has something to do with her sister being in the hospital. and wants to marry him to get revenge on him.

He has no idea whats going on from any end lol the other 3 atleast knows.

Looks like they went for the the brother as who was the one with Ae Ra's sister. Our guy In Joon has precisely zero allies as it looks like Ae Ra seems to think he's involved as well (they made a obvious ploy to show us his signature this episode but I couldn't see if it was the same one we saw on the hospital bill? Didn't look like it) so any hope of her wanting to help in the the next few episodes at least is obsolete. Everyone around him either wants to use him or wants to take revenge on him for something he probably wasn't involved in.

Think it's obvious now Soo Hyun was forced to leave the kid and Tae Oh - assuming the mother was like leave them now or the kid will never be safe. When they met in the lift it seemed like a bit of a "you're breaking our deal" when she saw her with the kid.

We thinking the daughter in law will get more involved now as she knows it was definitely In Joon's dad who ruined her family? I know In Joon didn't really grow up in that family, but he seems to have absolutely zero interaction with anyone other than his brother and father and even then that's rare. That family dynamic is interesting and considering we're already half way through could do with some more development at some point soon.

Going by the preview I wonder if Ae Ra found anything else to connect In Joon to her sister other than the signature that I assume she would at least try to confirm before she goes full marry and ruin him. Not enjoying how weak/dumb the In Joon character seems right now, he started the show of smart and calculating to get ahead of his dad. Now he's throwing everything away for a girl he has met for a few weeks and he also knows already she didn't exactly come there with good intention. The whole "I don' care if you're lying I still like you" seemed so weak/beta, not sure how he can be so naive. Admittedly if Lee Ming Jung was seducing me I'd fall for it in a heartbeat but this guy is meant to be smart. I really hope when everything comes out (assuming he had nothing to do with her sister) he's over this puppy love and not so forgiving.

I'm trying to understand the rationale of how he likes her this much so quickly and I'm struggling. No-one has really cared for him for a long time without wanting something from him after his mom, so anyone even showing him a bit of affection wins him over? I'm assuming that's what originally attracted her to him, but then he finds out she's most likely scheming and still doesn't seem to care?

Shame the show doesn't seem to be doing that well ratings wise - feel like it has a lot going for it

Good evening, I enjoyed reading ur post :)

Not enjoying how weak/dumb the In Joon character seems right now, he started the show of smart and calculating to get ahead of his dad. Now he's throwing everything away for a girl he has met for a few weeks and he also knows already she didn't exactly come there with good intention. The whole "I don' care if you're lying I still like you" seemed so weak/beta, not sure how he can be so naive. Admittedly if Lee Ming Jung was seducing me I'd fall for it in a heartbeat but this guy is meant to be smart. I really hope when everything comes out (assuming he had nothing to do with her sister) he's over this puppy love and not so forgiving.

If I am allowed to say , he didn’t throw everything for nothing, he try when he get engaged to CSH to follow his dream , but he knows that he was selfish and his so called relationship with CSH wouldn’t work in the long term , because he is in love with other woman , going on with fake relationship it would be most selfish thing he could do towards everybody.that why he is trying to correct his wrong doing towards CSH and protect her family , he feels guilty in away . 

You may think that he doesn’t think things through just like CSH but he seems to be naturally more impulsive than everybody give him credit for , that why I am not surprised he followed his heart just the way he try to kiss her first day they meet . I understand where he comes from and see why he is attracted to her , he never was bonding with someone as he bond with Hae Ra over their love for making shoes. He sees in her all characteristics and personality he goes for . 

1 hour ago, anony12345 said:

Shame the show doesn't seem to be doing that well ratings wise - feel like it has a lot going for it

This drama has a great cast and the story lines are outstanding. Unfortunately, it just happens to be in the same time slot as another extremely popular drama on another network. Also, while SBS does produce some great shows it doesn’t really commit to them like other networks do. I understand contractual obligations to show certain sporting events or even cover important news events. Stuff like that happens. Except if SBS has to pre-empt showings for these reasons, they simply cut the number of hours off the drama that got pre-empted. 30 but 17 was a prime example. Beautiful drama and all star cast. Lost a total of 4 hours to the Asian Games coverage. Therefore the show ended with many unanswered questions and holes in the story due to the lost 4 hours.

Archived