[Drama 2018] 12 Nights 열두밤

feelbora

59 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

What I didn’t really like were the interactions with the New Yorkers. While her roommate and the restaurant supervisor felt more natural to me, the business people who portray New Yorkers felt jarring. I tend to find that including Western foreigners in drama takes me out of the drama. I don’t know if it’s the culture clash that makes me feel this way. Like the conversation on the phone with that terrible person telling the female lead that she has no talent felt so dramatic unlike the calm feel of the drama. I’m glad that was quickly over with. 

oh god the new yorkers aka the woman who interviewed yoo kyung and also those cringey phone conversation

why they have to exaggerate the pronunciation and the whole vehemence feel in the voice (aka being the b*)

it was too much and way over being theatrical and just being plain annoying period (i might most probably skip a few secs in that part hahaha)

i was glad it was over soon and done with

though have to say yoo kyung's roommate in ny in gorgeous

the convo between hyun oh and the stewardess is far more natural for me

at least she didn't exaggerate about him leaving his bag behind 

:D

48 minutes ago, thistle said:

It's okay to give a good review.  Don't worry.  The promos just confirm what you're saying.  I'm looking forward to watching.

^__^

i tend to get over excited over things

and while most of the time things i get excited about remain lasting for me

others might not feel the same

though i think that this thread would allow me to be slightly giddier that usual

hahaha

59 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

I think I should be interested because I’m really here for the OTP.

the chemistry between the otp is quite good for the first ep isnt it?

cant say much yet since they only met and barely know one another

but there is so much potential there

and that height difference

like so cute

kekeke

even with heels hammie just about his shoulder which i found so adorable and endearing

:P

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the subs already but no time to watch yet :( coz my daughter is having big exams next week. Need to show support for her weekend reviews. She is asleep now but my head is heavy too. So will have to wait several hours later before I can hopefully watch the first episode before she is up...

51 minutes ago, thistle said:

Oh my, not looking forward to that part!  It is so disappointing when foreigners are made to look foolish (no matter which foreigner, no matter what country the drama is from).  In US shows, it makes me really sad when Southerners are portrayed as stupid and mean because I know for a fact that this is not true.  I've noticed that New Yorkers have tended to get a bad rap, too, as being rude; and that's not fair.  Stereotyping is lazy and not cool.

Completely agree. I’ve hardly seen Western foreigners portrayed naturally in these shows when in truth a lot of the acting in western shows is not dramatic unless the scene calls for it. The female interviewer who turned Yoo Kyung down sounded over dramatic and unnatural. Yeah, agreed with stereotypes on Southerners and Northerners. I’ve lived in both parts of the country and they both have their pros and cons.

6 minutes ago, chubby^green^ said:

oh god the new yorkers aka the woman who interviewed yoo kyung and also those cringey phone conversation

why they have to exaggerate the pronunciation and the whole vehemence feel in the voice (aka being the b*)

it was too much and way over being theatrical and just being plain annoying period (i might most probably skip a few secs in that part hahaha)

i was glad it was over soon and done with

though have to say yoo kyung's roommate in ny in gorgeous

the convo between hyun oh and the stewardess is far more natural for me

at least she didn't exaggerate about him leaving his bag behind 

^__^

i tend to get over excited over things

and while most of the time things i get excited about remain lasting for me

others might not feel the same

though i think that this thread would allow me to be slightly giddier that usual

hahaha

the chemistry between the otp is quite good for the first ep isnt it?

cant say much yet since they only met and barely know one another

but there is so much potential there

and that height difference

like so cute

kekeke

even with heels hammie just about his shoulder which i found so adorable and endearing

:P

So much agreed on your observations of the foreigners. I’m getting into the OTP too. Yoo Kyung is kind of cold and lifeless but I didn’t realize that Hyun Oh would be the livelier of the two. I find him interesting.

I finished watching the episode and I liked it. It’s sort of slice of life. Our OTP keeps meeting coincidentally and I’m interested to know more about them. I couldn’t help laughing at the guest house owner when the kid showed up. All he has to do is request a DNA test because I’m quite curious to know if the child is actually his. I wonder if the photographer lady will become a mentor to Yoo Kyung. The preview for next week seems like things are getting livelier.

Good news!  DramaMilk has recapped the first episode of 12 Nights.  (You can read at this link.) 

But they are doing a lot of recaps right now so they may or may not continue.  One thing I have learned by being a loyal reader on DramaMilk is that they do read the comments, and they will reconsider dropping a show if there is support for it.   I've already left a comment.  If you want to them to recap this show, you might consider doing so, too.  Just a thought.  

And since I should say so:  I am not affiliated with DramaMilk in any way.  I am just a fan who really deeply appreciates their work.

I haven't been able to watch episode 1 because the site I use has a server overload right now.  Arrrrgh!  Thus, I am doubly glad to be able to read the recaps while I wait, and I'm gonna go do that right now.  :D

^

thanks for the link

done leaving comments

just for fun i was rewatching age of youth and i just realise that one of seungyeon's friends in the drama

not her roommate but college's friend is named han yoo kyung

lor 

hahaha

btw i enjoyed seeing the characters with old phones since the setup supposed to be in 2010

and also those world cup posters that we are seeing everywhere in the background

kinda nice set up of showing 2010 without making it being too much

Here's hoping that more people start watching 12 Nights.  I saw most of the first episode (the feed failed during the last 20%), and I really liked it.  

I haven't watched Age of Youth but I'll check that out.  Thanks @chubby^green^  This show has a nice subtlety to it, and you're right about the way they include the 2010 elements.  It reminds us of the time without hitting us over the head with it.  

There's just so much to like about this show--the leads, of course, and the supporting cast are great.  But I also really loved the old-style guest house.  Buildings like that are just fascinating--it's funny to say but sometimes the setting is also a character in a drama.  It makes a real difference when the production team gets something like that just right.

***************editing to say that I haven't been able to watch the rest of the episode!  And instead of it being the last 20%, it's more like 40% of the episode.  The video is there but the subtitles failed right when Y K is remembering her ex and says, "what a jerk" so for the rest of the video the only subtitle showing is "what a jerk"  Oh my goodness!  I've reported it but it hasn't been fixed yet.  So annoying.

^

so i'm lucky to have the fully subbed one till the end even the preview are subbed fully

gosh the more interesting part happened after they met on the bus where yoo kyung was crying and saying what a jerk

their convo on the hill was interesting and was like the set up for defining their character their relationship with one another

hopefully it will be fixed soon

^__^

1 hour ago, chubby^green^ said:

hopefully it will be fixed soon

^__^

I searched until I found another site that had the episode, and I am so glad that I did.  This is a lovely show, and the ending was a little surprise.

When I thought about this show, the word that came to mind was Gentle.  It was just a nice, pleasant show about people who seem really real.  I like that a lot.

3 minutes ago, thistle said:

When I thought about this show, the word that came to mind was Gentle.  It was just a nice, pleasant show about people who seem really real.  I like that a lot.

oh my god we have the same thought

for me its like a 'slow breeze'

soothing, relaxing, a lil cool, just nice and not burdening at all...

15 hours ago, thistle said:

I haven't watched Age of Youth but I'll check that out.

both of our leads are in that drama

though they didnt interact at all (i think)

but it's a good show and has two seasons 

and u got to see a different kind of yookyung and hyunoh

hahaha

10 minutes ago, chubby^green^ said:

oh my god we have the same thought

for me its like a 'slow breeze'

soothing, relaxing, a lil cool, just nice and not burdening at all...

Exactly.  :)  Although I like other kinds of shows sometimes, there is something really wonderful about finding a show that is refreshing as a "slow breeze."  It is rare to find one, and I hope that the rest of this drama remains as magical as the first episode.

It's funny but it made me think of a movie that I love.  I was reading a review of it that said the movie was awful because nothing really happened.  And I thought, "well, yeah, that's why it's so good!"  

Sometimes we need to see something that seems real, something good and un-amazing that seems like it could actually happen, something that makes us believe that a gentle magic could happen to us, too.

I'm agreeing with what you all have said about this drama. It's subtle, gentle and laid-back, like a slow breeze... Enjoyed the first episode very much. Well, except the interview thing. Yes, the convo was too stiff. It's like the interviewer is reading the script off a paper. So unnatural... Other than that, everything was so easy to watch.

22 hours ago, thistle said:

there is something really wonderful about finding a show that is refreshing as a "slow breeze."  It is rare to find one, and I hope that the rest of this drama remains as magical as the first episode.

It's funny but it made me think of a movie that I love.  I was reading a review of it that said the movie was awful because nothing really happened.  And I thought, "well, yeah, that's why it's so good!"

What movie was that? Agree that once in a while, it's nice to be able to watch a show without having to react to it too much emotionally. Just watch it for the sake of relaxing the mind.

42 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

What movie was that? Agree that once in a while, it's nice to be able to watch a show without having to react to it too much emotionally. Just watch it for the sake of relaxing the mind.

Her Granddaughter.  It's a movie that may not be everyone's cup of tea because it is an unusual love story but also one that surely could happen (well, I believe every moment of it), and the scenes are basically everyday stuff.  It is also very subtle and funny.   Nothing over-the-top happens except two mismatched people falling unexpectedly in love and working out what that means while interacting with and being supported by the people around them.

If you watch the movie, be on the lookout for the female lead's mom (she appears only three times in the movie)--the actress just steals the show in a very good way.  

.....editing to add a trailer.  Interestingly, I used the word "mismatched" and I see that the trailer does as well.

lol

spending '12 nights together' sounded quite scandalous reading it without context with the drama

hahaha

anyway i would called both of them as an aspiring photographer and aspiring dancer 

finding their way and niche to do something that they like

^__^

anyway i noticed something else from the first ep

this drama already eliminate a question that maybe some viewers have about the two leads

aka why they both speak excellent korean although they both are almost like foreigners in korea at the moment

with yookyung is quite simple since she only almost recently immigrated to US based on the passport picture of her in the korean passport, maybe she was already in her teen years

so she basically already have good command in korean and still converse with her mom in korean helps also

while for hyunoh, the easiest explanation was used

although he never been to korea before

but his grandpa insisted that he should never forget his root

hence why his korean is fluent

lor

hahaha

when hyunoh was explaining that during their first lunch date :ph34r: and yookyung absentmindedly said she didn't ask for that information

i immediately thought that 'well viewers might be curious and now they have their answer, although you are not yookyung ah'

in the first ep we already started to understand yookyung's struggles with her photography career and some of her own personal life like with her then boyfriend and also her relationship with her mother and maybe already seeing the people who could help her in term of inspiring and also direct her to the correct path

but there's still much we yet to learn about hyunoh

funny since in the first ep he is the more open to talk about himself compared to the closed book of yookyung

i am dreading the trials and errors that the two of them will face in discovering one another and also oneself

but that journey would refreshing and fulfilling, i believe

Shin Hyun Soo Is A Free And Romantic Spirit In â12 Nightsâ

Shin Hyun Soo Is A Free And Romantic Spirit In “12 Nights”

Oct 17, 2018
by L. Kim

Channel A’s “12 Nights” released new stills of Shin Hyun Soo.

The love story is about an aspiring photographer and an aspiring dancer who spend 12 nights together over three different trips.

Shin Hyun Soo plays romanticist Cha Hyun Oh. In the first episode, his determination to buy a ticket to Seoul on the way to work in Tokyo and his direct approach to Han Yoo Kyung (Han Seung Yeon) charmed the viewers.

In particular, as he has a free spirit to leave everything to fate, Shin Hyun Soo goes on a spontaneous trip without any exact plans. He starts off his early morning with a bicycle ride and an expression full of anticipation. In addition, he goes to Daehangno, a street filled with the dreams of youth and faces his long-standing desire for dance. Viewers are intrigued to know whether he will be able to challenge his dream of being a beautiful dancer again.

Shin Hyun Soo is also waiting for a reunion with an unexpected figure, making him look forward to an unpredictable trip to Seoul that will change his mind.Shin-Hyun-Soo-1.jpg

The second episode will air on October 19 at 11 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1246723wpp/shin-hyun-soo-free-romantic-spirit-12-nights

Archived