[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Listening Snow Tower 听雪楼: 血薇

sugarplum892

8 minutes ago, bluehibiscus said:

Here's my translation for 夕影 Xi Ying (Pls credit me if anyone wants to use the translation):

听雪 的声音
Hear the sound of snow
刚靠近 又分离
It got close only to separate
如何落地 不由得自己
The manner in which it falls to the ground is not within its control
误解 在累积
Misunderstandings are building up
太冷漠 的眼睛
Eyes that are too cold,
云淡风轻却又暗藏着杀意
Seemingly calm and carefree, belie the intent to kill
我的世界结了冰
My world has frozen over
决绝无比 不见天晴
Resolutely and I can't see clear skies
习惯 藏起来的武器
Hiding weapons out of habit
从未坦白过 真心
Never cofessing my true feelings
藏起了动心 藏起了你
Concealing the desire in my heart, concealing you
藏起了温情 藏起了憧憬
Concealing tender feelings, concealing hopes for the future
假装很无情
Pretending to be heartless
其实早已离不开你
When in truth I can no longer leave you
藏起了曾经 藏起了清醒
Concealing the past, concealing rationality
任由故事这样走到结局
Allowing this story to move on to its conclusion
轻轻 呼唤你的名
Softly calling your name
误解 在累积
Misunderstandings are building up
太冷漠 的眼睛
Eyes that are too cold,
云淡风轻却又暗藏着杀意
Seemingly calm and carefree, belie the intent to kill
也许 太久的紧绷
Perhaps being repressed for too long
寂寞 都变成了本能
Has turned loneliness into a basic instinct
藏起来的怜惜心疼
Concealing feelings of protectiveness for you
不过只是一场梦
It's only just a dream
藏起了动心 藏起了你
藏起了温情 藏起了憧憬
假装很无情
其实早已离不开你
回忆的朝夕 都变成幻影
The memories of days and nights have turned into illusory shadows
任由故事这样走到结局
Allowing this story to move on to its conclusion
如此 随彼此 凋零
And fade together with both of us
藏起了动心 藏起了你
藏起了温情 藏起了憧憬
假装很无情
其实早已离不开你

Many many thanks. The lyrics are so poignant. When they translated some of words in the episodes I felt that I wanted to hear more because it seemed to provide some insight into Yi Qian’s feelings for Jing Rong. Some of what’s conveyed in the song lyrics was also admitted in Yi Qian’s silent thoughts in episode 27 or 28. He said he ignored or hid his feelings for years but now the lovesick tears (the poison he drank) has exposed his feelings. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am actually surprised that this thread is so silent for a drama with ENG sub this early. Does everyone not like this?

The story is not exceptional but the ML character is very interesting. I really enjoy how Yi Qing mind works. It has been a while since I have watched a drama with such strategic minded ML (since NiF honestly). I am bored with physical strong ML but so naive and gullible. In the end I would only get a knight in white horse character that only exist to save the FL. Here I get a frail yet strong ML (he is not a damsel in distress despite his handicapped body) with a genius mind and no-nonsense way of thinking. I like it when he always sees through his enemies scheme.

If I want to say something bad about this drama, it will be the romance. In my point of view, the romance between leads quite comes from nowhere. In their childhood, there was no some poignant scene or something that indicate that they were attracted to each other. Yi Qing seemed only to be empathetic toward her and she was so hostile to him in the beginning and thankful in the end. And then suddenly we get 10 years later, Jing Rong lost all her childhood bitchiness (I was annoyed with child Jing Rong) and we get this naive woman who seems to be interested in Yi Qing. Couple of episodes later, we suddenly get fed up with the fact that Yi Qing interested (or perhaps fall in love already) to Jing Rong .....:blink::blink:. Am I missing something??

I am still at episode 28 right now (but already peek the raw episode until 35). Up until now, all the conflict in the drama could be summed up to one word: Jealousy. Nearly all bad character here doing what they did in the name of jealousy. It get tiresome after a while but I persevere because I like the ML:D. I just fast forward the scene with Ming He and Xiao Tai. Those two infuriated me to no end. Ming He is just a child with tantrum caused by lack of parents love (her possessive way with QIng Lan tells everything) while Xiao Tai just a spoiled brat who never take responsibility of her wrong in her entire life (with that kind of father and eldest martial brother, this is the expected result).

As far as I know, we are in for tragic ending. Yi Qing death seemed to be preordained. I just hope the drama can make his death really meaningful.

@xienrue, I actually like the romance. I don’t understand your explanation at all about it coming out of nowhere. Are you saying that they must have fallen for each other in childhood for a romance to develop between them ten years later? They were kids. What would they know about romance? It’s more plausible that they meet ten years later and fall for each other. While Jing Rong was upset with Snow Tower for getting her father killed, she wasn’t mean towards child Yi Qian. Furthermore, why wouldn’t she have changed in ten years under the protection and guidance of her master? Why would she stay the same over ten long years? 

Moreover, a poignant moment did exist in their childhood. A very sick Yi Qian stood vigil overnight with Jing Rong as she mourned her father. It obviously left an impression on Jing Rong’s mind as we saw when she bade him farewell while he was sick in bed and she made that pinky promise with him to one day meet again and for his health to improve. 

When they meet ten years later, just the way Yi Qian looks at her says a lot. I’m pretty sure that he had no intention of falling for her but it was clear every time they met that he was attracted to her. I know a lot of viewers don’t like subtle romantic development but the male actor does an excellent job conveying his feelings through his eyes and when he looks at her in their early time spent together during the turmoil at snow tower it was plain to see in his eyes, words or gestures. Most importantly, love can begin in a moment. 

There are some scenes early on that I distinctly remember where I began to feel an attraction existed between the two:

1. When Yi Qian stepped forward and Jing nervously stepped backward as he asked her if she knew him since she mentioned his old illness. It was the first time as viewers we saw a look like that on his face almost like he’s flirting with her. That is not normal Yi Qing at all.
  2. In the woods when she told him that he won’t be lonely in the pugilistic world because his sword will always protect him. He responded that yes it will protect him and those he wish to protect. Excellent subtle acting by the actor because after he said it, he raised his eyes and looked at her meaningfully basically implying that she was one of those he wanted to protect.
  3. The first time Jing brought him medicine and she couldn’t find him in the room and he appears from behind a curtain and the way the whole scene was shot implies something romantic in the air. The slow motion of him coming forth to meet her, the view of him from her perspective, the way the camera focused on him taking the bowl from her with their fingers almost touching, the way it focuses again on her fingers fidgeting as she waited for him to finish drinking the medicine...all these are signs that there’s more going on here than face value. 
  4. Their first meeting in sand valley after the bat attack also subtly shows some attraction. The look between them when he appears on the scene was even felt by Qing Lan as he stood in the middle. Jing Rong even looked away after Qing Lan looked at her questioningly most likely because he noticed the way she and Yi Qian were looking at each other. 

As to Yi Qian dying, yes, it seems inevitable although I sort of prefer that he’s alive at the end still living each day at a time. I always wonder what will happen to Snow Tower because Jing Rong has repeatedly made it clear that if Yi Qian isn’t there at Snow Tower she won’t stick around. However, Snow Tower was created to defeat the Moon Sect so I suppose if the Moon Sect is destroyed there is no purpose for Snow Tower. 

I also think Xiao Tai and Qing Yu will bring destruction to Snow Tower. The way things are going lately it’s like they’re both headed down the path of betrayal. 

@celebrianna Even though I do agree that the romance in the later part of the series is good, what I don't like is more on how it begins.

I mentioned about "no poignant moment during their childhood" because I feel the child character feels disconnected with his/her adult self, especially Jing Rong. I don't think they have to be in love or something in their childhood but at least I want them to separate with more feeling.

Perhaps it was the fault of the child actor, I don't know, but I felt that child Jing Rong was quite cold to literally everyone not his father. Even when she bade goodbye to Yi Qing while he was sleeping, I could not feel sincerity from her. It was that flat. That was why, 10 years later, when I saw the adult Jing Rong, I could not understand why she would be immediately friendly with Yi Qing (to the point of attracted to him - bordering fall in love in my point of view). The change was too sudden. Even though she touched by Yi Qing act of staying vigil with her, it should not make her do what she did in the early episodes (protecting Yi Qing using her body and the likes).

I had hoped that the change would be more gradual.

Regarding Yi Qing, this was even more baffling for me. I don't understand why he suddenly so caring toward Jing Rong. In their childhood, it was a matter of empathy. But in 10 years later, why the sudden care?

Okay, you said that Yi Qing flirted with her and showing his interest. But why? Was he attracted to her beauty? I don't think Yi Qing character is someone who can fall in love because of that superficial thing. If he interested to Jing Rong due to her personality, the drama needs to show it instead of just force feed us with the fact that the main leads attracted to each other.

You mentioned also their first meeting in Sand Valley after they had become adult. Yes, I agree that scene shows attraction, especially from Jing Rong side. My problem is: the drama should have shown us WHY they should be attracted to each other before this scene ever happen. Well, I know the reason could be very easy like Jing Rong was amazed by him when he saved her. But, ......... with character like Jing Rong and Yi Qing, I expect more ......

Perhaps it is just me with my idealistic view on how romance should develop in the drama.

Finally finally caught up to 41.

Spoiler

The big reunion of QL and QM! 

My only issue with this is the editing. There are some question marks when some scenes cut to one another. Like randomly where is the transition when the reunion happened. This happened for a few scenes. I'm just suspecting they must have deleted a lot of scenes in between. Example: Goodbye My Princess had big chunks edited out. Putting aside from the awkward editing

I was hoping to see a more emotional reunion, but this didn't make too much of an impact on me. Frankly, there are 15 episodes left, and I think making the reunion sooner would've been better. I just have a feeling this will be a rushed/crammed ending. I am glad the reunion between QL and QM happened. Now waiting for QY to find out QL is alive! 

We know Jing likes YQ because she only grabbed QL by the shoulder. If I were in Jing's shoe, I would run to my Dai Shi Xiong (Big Martial Brother) and give him a hug and cry after finding out he's alive, not just grab him by the shoulder. Because that would have made more impact and QL could even push her away or somewhat. It just made the reunion not so emotional and touching. :(

Really liking Yi Qing's look when he dressed up as the Moon Sect member to slip in to see his mother from afar. That braided detail compared to his usual simple hairstyle is so badass looking. Have to agree with @xienrue that the romance is a bit awkward. I think that is probably due to the bad editing. There are hints that they like each other and is obvious as @celebrianna pointed out. Either bad editing or the transition of how they developed the romance from hinting to making it obvious wasn't transitioned well. It was so obvious that they like each other because Yi Qing was always grabbing Jing's hand. O_O  think she realizes her feelings for him when she finds out that he has been the "doctor" that saved her. What do you all think? And YQ obviously fell for her beforehand. 

Good point about Jealously being the theme. I think this could be paralleled from the previous generation where YQ's father and mother plus the Moon Sect Hua Lian's relationship. HL was jealous of XW because of YQ's father so she hates XW but also is conflicted with her friendship with XW.

I like naive Xiao Tai because the little bits where she fought with Qing Yu were really cute and I enjoyed watching the banter and try to get back at each other. However, I find Qing Yu to even be annoying too now because he loves XT so much he could even disregard his martial brother/sister relationship with Jing. He was closer to Jing before meeting XT and abandoned her (that's how Jing got strong). How could he hate on Jing -- that really got me annoyed. 

Another theme I noticed in the drama is: Identity. Many characters have multiple names and those different names signify different identities. Secret identities, real identities of selves, identities with the sect/organization they are part of and etc. These different identities give these characters different persona's and meaning to how they carry on the conflict and move the story/plot along. Example: Shu Jing Yong/Ah Jing is the real identify of our female lead, she holds revenge, but Qing Ming is carefree and doesn't hold grudges and have no plans for revenge. 

I really like the song "Blood Rose" because as 夕影 Xi Ying  is YQ's theme. Blood Rose is Jing's theme. These lines resonate with her feelings: 恨自己是一个哑巴 如何才能告诉她 那些关于我 的传说 残酷而寂寞 "I hate myself for being mute. How do I tell her? Those legends concerning about me are cruel and lonely."

The second video @bluehibiscus posted is hilarious. Basically a collection of clips where Jing misunderstands him. Haha, aside from Jealously the majority of the plot is built on misunderstandings which lead to conflict and revenge! Revenge and filial piety are always central in WuXia novels. I started watching Story of Yanxi Palace and wondered why it was so popular and I realized it's because of how badass the female leading character is and the character development. The conflicts get solved and it moves on, but many conflicts in LST drag on >.< I'm hoping it picks up once we get the Sand Valley reunion.

@Yui., I don’t think romance follows a set course especially if the characters and their circumstances are complicated. I actually don’t believe Yiqing ever intended to fall in love with Jingrong perhaps because he said that he lives one day at time and some things he deem as important and some not so important so he doesn’t pour his heart into it. In the beginning at times he seem to flirt with Jingrong and sometimes he’s standoffish. So I don’t think for him it was a linear development. However, I think the more he interacted with Jingrong the more he became attracted and involved although by his thoughts in ep 28 it’s clear that he tried for a long time to ignore his feelings. 

As to Jingrong, I think her perspective is more complicated. When she was present at Snow Tower she was friendly, shy and gentle. I truly believe she was protective of Yiqing because like everyone else she thought he was too sickly to face the internal strife at Snow Tower. She also remembered how Yiqing accompanied her in the vigil for her dad and I feel that her heart was softened towards him in gratitude. Nevertheless, to me she seemed attracted to him. After the tragedy at Sand Valley and the three years time skip, I felt Jingrong had pretty much returned to how she used to be before Sand Valley took her in. She no longer trusted anyone and is quite stubborn to a fault. I think her problem with Yiqing is she doesn’t fully trust him and she obviously hold grudges against him for the Lei family son and thinks that he can be ruthless. It’s not until she learns that he’s the gentle doctor that she starts to see this other side to him which he always hid from her. That’s when the two versions of Yiqing becomes one for her. 

I think having her find out before Yiqing was kidnapped was the turning point for her because now a real life and death situation intervened to test the true nature of her feelings. Moreover, Nanchu also told Jingrong about the things Yiqing did for her in secret and that further made an impression. So to answer your question, I think she let down her resistance to Yiqing after she found out he was the gentle doctor who took care of her. I can certainly understand this because no matter how much Yiqing likes her he is still harsh with her if he needs to be. In Sand Valley she was coddled and protected so the way Yiqing treats her is very different to her senior brother and master. 

To be honest, I really do not see anything wrong with the romantic development. It kind of reminds me of the famous and much beloved literary work “Pride and Prejudice” written by Jane Austen and adapted into film repeatedly through the years. If Jingrong fell only after she learned about that other side of Yiqing then her predecessor is Elizabeth Bennett who after she realized she was prejudiced against Mr. Darcy, she began to realize how blind she was to his merits and began to appreciate and sincerely love the man.

As to the reunion between elder brother and Jingrong, I haven’t seen it but I imagine there are so many things that have happened to change them and they will never be the same. Don’t forget elder brother has assassinated dozens of people for the former Moon Sect Queen. I don’t see how he’ll ever be the same. However, there’s a clip on YouTube 

Spoiler

showing Jingrong cradling Qinglan In her arms after expelling the needle from his neck and he’s asking her to go get the antidote from Ming He. So there are scenes that show her caring for him.

Omo, I just saw a clip on YouTube of episode 51 and jealousy really seem to lead people down a twisted path. I could see the betrayal coming but I’m so disappointed in 

Spoiler

Qing Yu. After Snow Tower saved his life with that flower he still have the nerve to attack it and try to kill Yiqing for the terrible Xiao Tai. Wow. Fortunately Jingrong showed up in time to save Yiqing who seems to be weak because of his illness.

17 hours ago, celebrianna said:

Omo, I just saw a clip on YouTube of episode 51 and jealousy really seem to lead people down a twisted path. I could see the betrayal coming but I’m so disappointed in 

Hide contents

Qing Yu. After Snow Tower saved his life with that flower he still have the nerve to attack it and try to kill Yiqing for the terrible Xiao Tai. Wow. Fortunately Jingrong showed up in time to save Yiqing who seems to be weak because of his illness.

And I also have seen Youtube clip for episode 52. It made my blood boil for more.

Spoiler

Gao Meng Fei is an ugrateful fellow; so selfish with no loyalty. In a way he is a match to Xiao Tai. I really cannot stand her. She has such terrible upbringing, too much spoiling which produce such rotten fruit in the end. Sadly, this kind of character is actually not only exist on drama, but also in real life.

In episode 52 clip, I am annoyed with Jing Rong. Does she ever learn? She has seen over and over again how Xiao Yi Qing operate; how she realized that she misunderstood him over and over again. Shouldn't she by now be wiser on how to perceive others thinking regarding Yi Qing deed? Of course she can ask him directly, but with trust attitude, not with that kind of judgemental tone.

9 hours ago, xienrue said:

And I also have seen Youtube clip for episode 52. It made my blood boil for more.

Hide contents

Gao Meng Fei is an ugrateful fellow; so selfish with no loyalty. In a way he is a match to Xiao Tai. I really cannot stand her. She has such terrible upbringing, too much spoiling which produce such rotten fruit in the end. Sadly, this kind of character is actually not only exist on drama, but also in real life.

In episode 52 clip, I am annoyed with Jing Rong. Does she ever learn? She has seen over and over again how Xiao Yi Qing operate; how she realized that she misunderstood him over and over again. Shouldn't she by now be wiser on how to perceive others thinking regarding Yi Qing deed? Of course she can ask him directly, but with trust attitude, not with that kind of judgemental tone.

Spoiler

I saw it too and I was very disappointed with her. Like Yiqing told her, they’ve been through so much together and she still thinks the same way. 

The person who translated the clip said that it’s somebody who interfered to create the misunderstanding between them to get them to fallout and I was hoping that Jingrong was just acting that way to make it seem like that third party succeeded.

In any case, traitors should be dealt with. I don’t know what type of punishment but why leave them free to start trouble again.

Anyway I remember a hilarious comment on YouTube that said Yiqing will quicker die from the stupidity of the females around him than his cold virus disease. :lol: However, as much as I adore Yiqing, in episodes 35 and 36 I was very disappointed with the way he handled the situation with Jingrong.

I feel that he started off wrong in the first place when he met her on the mountain. Thankfully he sincerely apologized but Jingrong raised a valid point that he never explains his intentions especially in a case like that. It was so painful to watch them throw away that stuff that could have been beneficial to them.

Now that we’re getting close to the end I will stop looking at spoilers because I don’t want to be discouraged from watching the entire series (since the English translated episodes are a week behind the live episodes) no matter the end. I will avoid spoilers at all cost until I can watch the end for myself. So I guess I will be avoiding this thread for the next two weeks.:sweatingbullets:

All caught up to 49.

Spoiler

Qing Lan remembers! Seeing all the spoiler clips there's a scene he confronts Ming He. Anticipating that! And looks like Xue Wen didn't die. Yi Qing's proposal to Jing was so cute! If she makes it back alive he would like to wed her if he doesn't die before her.

Qing Yu/Xiao Tai are just so unfortunate. Really shipped them and they were adorable, but now they're starting to really becoming really annoying to watch. Haha....so many comments about Xiao Tai's annoyingness. Either it's the script, but the character is right now too flat aside from jealously fuming her. They would've been interesting or complex villains with more character development, but at this point meh.

I'm looking forward to the big battle between snow tower and moon sect!

EDIT: 51 spoiler

Spoiler

OMG NOoooooo Qing Yu died T_T I did not want to see him dead. Was hoping in the end that all 3 martial brothers and sister could reunite as 3 in the end. URGGGGHHHH

• sugarplum892 changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Listening Snow Tower 听雪楼: 血薇

I have a question for those still watching this drama, i do understand some chinese, but theres something I'm not getting...

Spoiler

How was XYQ able to fight Moon sect in ep 53?  Wasn't he on deaths door?  Is it cause of the bracelet?  Plus does anyone else feel like GMF (aka QY) death was just washed over?  Shouldn't the person who he called sis for most of his life mourn a bit more?  I'm hoping its an editing issue and not a writing issue

I marathoned this drama over 3 days and I am so in love with it !!! It's like Nirvana in Fire 2 without the palace intrigue, but with focus on the pugilist world.  I really like the cinematography (it makes it seem more real) and surprised that the editing wasn't bad either:o I really appreciate the Romance taking a back drop to the story, and the build up is evenly paced and doesn't  over power the story.  It's a break from the deep, i'm in love with you confession, chase+ save , chase+ save 7 episodes in.^_^ in this case it was episode 21 and 34, and it made it all the more meaningful and believable. I l love the way that Yi Qian forced her to become strong for herself, because he is unsure if he will be there forJing rong . I am getting ready to  dread episode 42 and not ready for the misunderstanding . I hope they don't stray to far form their path, because i love there subtle romance:wub: and the schemes:blink:

• 4 weeks later...

In case anyone is wondering, it’s a happy ending. Both XYQ and SJR survived the big battle with Moon Sect and made it out alive at the end, and lived happily ever after. Sadly though, 

Spoiler

As predicted by her Sand Valley Master, both her seniors died.

Overall, a well-made drama with well-developed side characters. Nice OSTs, too.

• 4 weeks later...

The saving grace of this drama are the male lead and happy ending.

The male lead personality was very interesting and the acting was spot on. Actually i don’t like the female lead, i think her acting and her expression sometimes awkwardly stiff and flat. But since YQ loves her alot, i tried to like her LOL.

I wish we have decent villain in this drama instead of bunch of crazy women sigh. I can’t stand watching MH, XT :blink: and their respective couple (two female lead’s senior brothers). I kind of speechless with the teacher’s inaccurate stars reading accusing the female lead as the dark star and the cause of death of his two male students. LOL 

Archived