[Drama 2018] When Time Stops, 시간이 멈추는 그 때

0ly40

1 hour ago, Mau_Cherry said:

I can feel you very well - to be honest - i was just the same - this sentence was trouble for me too. I am a Christian - and I really believe.

But I too am a big lover of fantasy stories - so I guess I decided on that long time ago - I can feel you - and I understand you very well. I know - I should not - but I still love fantasy and thats often gets in conflict with religion. I try to ignore it - because otherwise... no - i will ignore it. I will wait - what way it will get. I know its difficult to find a reason to explain superpowers. - alien? I hoped for another reason too...

Thanks for understanding.  :)  I am also Christian.  And I also often love fantasy stories.  I do Not think that fantasy stories are bad generally.  God gave us minds to think and to imagine with so that we can reason and make informed choices.

The conflict that I have with this particular show is that the Soul Reaper Manager (I don't know what else to call him) said clearly that "God makes mistakes."  That is flagrant blasphemy.  God is incapable of error.

The definition of blasphemy is "The act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for any religion's deity or deities."

No matter what religion one belongs to, there is a higher power which most will call God, so the words that the Soul Reaper Manager spoke would and should be offensive and indefensible to any person with a religious conscience.  The writing of this drama is showing clear contempt for God.  And I find that to be a major problem.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, thistle said:

I was enjoying the first episode until they reached the part with the Soul Collectors. 

When the Soul Collector Manager said that God made mistakes, I began to feel deeply uncomfortable because I have serious concerns about blasphemy.  Blasphemy is very dangerous (even in a drama).  God NEVER makes mistakes.  God is perfect and eternal and all-knowing.  Even though we human beings may not always understand divine purpose, I believe that there is one and that we can trust God to carry it out.

If the Soul Collector Manager is trying to gather all those God-given abilities (especially those that deal with time which he says only God can control) for himself,  then he is plotting to try to take over the powers of God and that means that he can only be the antithesis of God:  the devil.  

At this point, I am not sure whether I will carry on watching this show, no matter how good it might be.

Your comment made me think thrice about watching this drama... Just like I cannot continue watching Rescue Me/Save Me.

That part about God was a bit disturbing in my opinion as well. But if you will look closely, the way the white guy explained how these people got powers was like something he can't really describe to the newbies that's why he was like "whatever,  just picture it like this..blah blah blah.. ok? got it? OK! moving on..." something like that.

But the wiriter could've wrote something else rather making God "un-omnipotent" to the eyes of the viewers.

He could've said like "God was just having fun and he makes us clean up his mess. It's like giving us collectors something to do".

Another thing I was confused about is when Jun Woo stopped the time, Sun Ah somehow experienced it 'again' as well. Remember she was about to take early off from her work and when she was about to go out she noticed the time stopped? So is it safe to say that ever since Sun Ah got tangled with Jun Woo's time, she's now involved with Jun Woo from that moment on? I wonder why, because if she is destined not to be affected with Jun Woo's power then she should've experience the time stopping (everytime Jun Woo uses his powers) ever since she was born, right? Why just now?

2 hours ago, 06skull06 said:

That part about God was a bit disturbing in my opinion as well. But if you will look closely, the way the white guy explained how these people got powers was like something he can't really describe to the newbies that's why he was like "whatever,  just picture it like this..blah blah blah.. ok? got it? OK! moving on..." something like that.

But the wiriter could've wrote something else rather making God "un-omnipotent" to the eyes of the viewers.

He could've said like "God was just having fun and he makes us clean up his mess. It's like giving us collectors something to do".

Another thing I was confused about is when Jun Woo stopped the time, Sun Ah somehow experienced it 'again' as well. Remember she was about to take early off from her work and when she was about to go out she noticed the time stopped? So is it safe to say that ever since Sun Ah got tangled with Jun Woo's time, she's now involved with Jun Woo from that moment on? I wonder why, because if she is destined not to be affected with Jun Woo's power then she should've experience the time stopping (everytime Jun Woo uses his powers) ever since she was born, right? Why just now?

Cant agree more with the first part - thats how I tried to see it too - but I too - really disliked it!

For the second part - yes - Thats how I see it - since she met him one time - whenever he will stop the time - her time will be frozen too. He should give her a warning now. Its another part I hope the writer will give us a reason for later. As he said - why did you came in my time. I wonder if he can stop the time of the Reaper Army too... otherwise he must be on the wanted list - first place.

55 minutes ago, Mau_Cherry said:

Cant agree more with the first part - thats how I tried to see it too - but I too - really disliked it!

For the second part - yes - Thats how I see it - since she met him one time - whenever he will stop the time - her time will be frozen too. He should give her a warning now. Its another part I hope the writer will give us a reason for later. As he said - why did you came in my time. I wonder if he can stop the time of the Reaper Army too... otherwise he must be on the wanted list - first place.

Nah. I don't think the collectors are aware of Jun Woo's power because if they are, he should be blacklisted or may have been mentioned at the very first episode. 

10 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Your comment made me think thrice about watching this drama... Just like I cannot continue watching Rescue Me/Save Me.

I couldn't get past the first episode of Save Me either. 

Sometimes there is a line that should not be crossed.  For me, When Time Stopped drew that line. 

I don't mind thinking different ideas or considering a variety of concepts.  But God is God, no matter what any religion calls Him and I think that all who believe in God would agree that Faith is of the utmost importance because it is a matter of eternity. 

I won't consider shadowboxing with blasphemy.  And I wouldn't attempt to justify what the writer has done with the script.

On 10/29/2018 at 6:22 AM, thistle said:

I don't mind thinking different ideas or considering a variety of concepts.  But God is God, no matter what any religion calls Him and I think that all who believe in God would agree that Faith is of the utmost importance because it is a matter of eternity. 

I won't consider shadowboxing with blasphemy.  And I wouldn't attempt to justify what the writer has done with the script.

Not everyone agrees with your concept of god. Personally I prefer that all religious and political views and discussions be kept out of these threads.

15 minutes ago, Warren Lauzon said:

Not everyone agrees with your concept of god. Personally I prefer that all religious and political views and discussions be kept out of these threads.

I respect your opinion, and I would hope that you respect mine. 

I agree that it would be wrong to proselyte here, and I could understand why you would object to such.  But that is Not what I was doing.  The reason I spoke out is because I was expressing my discomfort with the drama and explaining why I cannot watch it.  That is all and nothing more. 

Blasphemy is an extremely important matter to believers of any faith.

Wow! There's no love for this drama anywhere! No reviews, no recaps, no nothing. 

I admit I'm only watching this for our boy Kim Hyun Joong.   But I have a feeling that it may get cut before finishing all the episodes.

I feel bad that he got the short end of the straw on his come back drama. 

That girl (his ex) really did ruin his career. 

17 hours ago, j9sshi said:

Wow! There's no love for this drama anywhere! No reviews, no recaps, no nothing. 

Just from the first two episodes, not that great. Not bad but nothing to really grab me. Much of it seems torn from the pages of "Drama Cliches 2.0" book. One of those shows that is watchable but also easily forgettable. Also there is the fact that it is on a sub channel (W) with much less viewers.

17 hours ago, j9sshi said:

I admit I'm only watching this for our boy Kim Hyun Joong.   But I have a feeling that it may get cut before finishing all the episodes.

People on Viki seems to really like it

@06skull06 @Mau_Cherry @thistle,

I understand the discomfort with the Man in Whites comments in the drama from a religious standpoint. But I think his comment was done on purpose to make the viewers dislike and disagree with him. He is clearly being established as a villain and one of the great obstacles that our leads will need to over come. Plus, it is seen that his employee clearly does not agree with his line of thinking about gathering some of these people. 

My impression of the Man in White is that he is like one of the people who he is gathering who has either developed a messiah complex and thinks he needs to clear the world of others like him or this is all about collecting power. How do we know that he is not using those others he is collecting?

Lastly, about the leading lady not experiencing time stopping until she met him. I have a feeling that she actually has a power of her own. In that she absorbs or becomes unaffected by others abilities when she meets them. If this is the case, then our grim reapers are not going to have power against her as well...which could be a saving grace for the lead as the reapers target him. 

Just my thoughts

This thread is for those who are watching and would like to comment on the drama... those who would prefer not to watch, would be grateful if you could carry on the discussion about religious beliefs privately.

Have to say that episode 4 is when it becomes really exciting! For me anyway. That moment when Jun Woo and Myung Woon were finally in the same space was so tense ! I’m now really curious what the relationship between them is, and how it relates to the bracelet. 

On 11/1/2018 at 6:57 AM, j9sshi said:

It’s preproduced so is unlikely to get cut. It’s the first drama produced by this channel, and all the episodes have been filmed. 

23 hours ago, guinearoyal said:

@06skull06 @Mau_Cherry @thistle,

Lastly, about the leading lady not experiencing time stopping until she met him. I have a feeling that she actually has a power of her own. In that she absorbs or becomes unaffected by others abilities when she meets them. If this is the case, then our grim reapers are not going to have power against her as well...which could be a saving grace for the lead as the reapers target him. 

Just my thoughts

I am starting to think so also, but not sure yet what it might be.

@Warren Lauzon "Drama cliches 2.0" Lol! I agree with you though. Nothing to really grab onto yet for me either other than KHJ.  I get the same feeling as I did when watching "That man Oh Soo" and I ended up dropping it midway through. 

I'm going to try an hang on through this one though. 

@guinearoyal Interesting theory!  hmmm.......

12 hours ago, illublue said:

This thread is for those who are watching and would like to comment on the drama... those who would prefer not to watch, would be grateful if you could carry on the discussion about religious beliefs privately.

Unless you are a moderator, you really cannot say who can and cannot post.  

I was NOT discussing religion.  I made an observation about why this show would be offensive to some people.  That is the sort of information that I find useful when others share it with me.

I am not watching this show, and I would not have come back to this thread except that I was tagged.

On 10/28/2018 at 3:53 PM, thistle said:

Thanks for understanding.  :)  I am also Christian.  And I also often love fantasy stories.  I do Not think that fantasy stories are bad generally.  God gave us minds to think and to imagine with so that we can reason and make informed choices.

The conflict that I have with this particular show is that the Soul Reaper Manager (I don't know what else to call him) said clearly that "God makes mistakes."  That is flagrant blasphemy.  God is incapable of error.

The definition of blasphemy is "The act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for any religion's deity or deities."

No matter what religion one belongs to, there is a higher power which most will call God, so the words that the Soul Reaper Manager spoke would and should be offensive and indefensible to any person with a religious conscience.  The writing of this drama is showing clear contempt for God.  And I find that to be a major problem.

@thistle, I’m a Christian too and I felt exactly as you described when he said God made mistakes. I felt very uncomfortable. Normally I try to think of Fantasy as just that but at times I can’t help but question myself if I should be watching this. Thankfully the focus for the three episodes I have watched so far was mainly on the humans and not so much the reaper thing which has a nebulous theological premise. This show reminds me of shows like Heroes and superhumans so they could have easily gone for a more sci-fi premise without the weird theology. 

Right now my main interest is how the female lead will resolve the debt she inherited. Viki hasn’t subbed episode 4 yet so I’m waiting on subs.

@thistle @celebrianna The main point of his speech about god (god makes mistakes) was supposed to make the viewers feel uncomfortable. Unlike the new trainees, the viewers have to question him and his real mission. I have just watched the first episode and it is clear that the man in white is lying. How could God allow that such a person guides others, when he shows no compassion and empathy for an abused child? So I am quite sure that he is manipulating them for his own interest.

Archived