[Drama 2018] The Third Charm, 제3의 매력

0ly40

I like Esom’s character. Has dreams, is brave and tenacious while accepting of her lot in life. Nevermind the judgemental friends in college, non-conformity though uncomfortable does not bother her too much. I like that she doesn’t wallow in self-pity and does what she can to be happy. 

She’s perceptive and straight talking too. A nice, strong female character I can root for. She’s pretty with short hair.

SKJ’s nerd is so dorky - what type of braces make one’s mouth stick out so much? Paired with those ajumma curls...dear me, no one should bear the misfortune of carrying that look. 

I enjoyed the first two eps - interesting premise - and think I am going to like the rest.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love reading your thoughts on the first episode @bedifferent! I agree that they have different approaches in life due to different personalities, but personally, I thought that it's interesting that as someone who has clear plans for everything, he doesn't have a plan for his life? It's common to see an objective without a plan and not a plan without an objective, because without an objective you wouldn't know where to go to make up a plan anyway.

After ep 1 I also kind of wonder why he became a police officer while he majored in chemical engineering, but ep 2 kind of explains it. 

15 hours ago, 7psyche7 said:

There was a scene in the preview of YJ hugging someone in hospital attire. Did her brother die? Is this related to the serial killer? :tears:

I have had weird feelings about how they film her brother in the last two episodes. It always feels like something bad is going to happen to him judging on how they film it, so I think her brother dies, but then didn't they release an entire description of his character? I don't think it's the girlfriend, because normally it makes more sense to let her brother hug his girlfriend than to hug her yourself...

Anyway onto what I thought about Ep. 2:

- Again, great sibling relationships! While I was a bit icky with JY's younger sister, she becomes more and more like a little sister in this episode, with the rude caring of not waking him up to make breakfast and quietly supporting him behind his back like telling her parents to give him some space, albeit she might have phrased it not so nicely :sweatingbullets:

- Good friendship between the dudes! I thought the best friend was going to be kind of a jerk, but he would leave the "girlfriend" right away after the damage she has done to his friend's relationship. I thought that was the biggest friendship solidarity I have seen for a while in Kdrama.

- The reason that they broke up doesn't sit well with me. Technically she broke up with him because she was embarrassed that she's not a college student and that she lied, despite the fact that he didn't care. Obviously, as a viewer, it's so easy for me to say that they should have given one another some time to think before exploding like this, but I understand her character is someone who is hotheaded and emotional, which explains why she said things she didn't really mean. I just wish that the breakup is more like "we have different lifestyles (that may or may not be because of the class difference) and thus we can't be together" rather than "I'm poor you're rich we can't be together" type of classic.

- Knowing the context of what happened, it now hits me what that reunion felt like. How shocking would it be to meet the person that you had a bad and regretful ending with but still have feelings for after 7 years of not seeing one another.

- I love that preview for ep 3, especially about SKJ's performance. For a while I was worried that once he looks prettier and all dolled up again he will remind me of his previous character, but judging from that preview alone, JY is still that nerdy guy and he still has little facial expressions that are JY's and not of others, so that's great to see!

From ep 1 and 2, I have a feeling that this drama is going to have a rather slow storyline. Normally I would have complained but now I just need something slow and simple to relax during the weekend :3

@triplem @Cecentre love reading your posts.  Confession: I have never watched Seo Kang Joon. :D  Pleasantly surprised here.  I love love his comedic timing so am enjoying it before the drama turns melo, the tears!

Like @rocat, I like Young-Jae character for her spirit.   Her outlook is weighted by reality so I applaud her for taking charge of her life and be responsible for her future.  Knowing her lot in life doesn't mean she has to keep closed ears or blind eyes toward others' disrespectful comments.  I like that she has strong drive to get a better future, proving them wrong is one thing but I am hoping she chose her path based on who she is.  I think she will realize that the path to getting rich won't be less than lots of gives and takes in her character.  Working hard alone sometimes won't make it, it has to be the relationships she develops and maintains that will move her forward toward her goal.  The people around you, your family, in her case (friends and brother) are the pillars in your life that you lean on.  Those are the most valuable of all assets.  I am hoping that is Young-Jae's realization at the end of the drama.  As is her appreciation of Joon-Young.

I wasn't surprised that she ran from our poor chemical engineer.   (Ohmygod, the day bar is soooo totally endearingly nerdy and reminds me of my own college years.  Love it! hahaha)  The insecurities that she has are expected of her age.  In the back of my mind, YJ needs a maternal or female figure in her life especially in times like this.  Sounds like she was pushed into adulthood early, being independent and strong for survival.   She puts on herself to be her own island, I wish she was able to show vulnerability to another female figure. IMO, YJ is able to control her insecurities when it comes to strangers.  With Joon-Young, the shame and embarrassment are multiplied because of her growing feelings for him.^^  That said, I didn't like that she left just like that, nothing, no goodbye to our guy.  Poor boy, my heart broke with each of SKJ's sobs! He doesn't deserve this ghosting.:(  

@Cecentre I thought hard about your plan/objective statement :lol:  I see your point.  My opinion is that JY has a methodical mind, who proceeds through the motion that is expected of him.  He really has no long term outlook like me when I was in undergrad!!! I relate to him.  I didn't know what I wanted to do until I was closed to graduating.hehehe  Bless my parents for their patience.  Regarding Joon-Young, his OCD forced him to live within closed walls.  Before meeting Young-Jae, I bet you he takes the same subway routes (he memorized them for gods sake), wearing the same white and denim shirts daily, go to sleep the same time everyday (no overnighter for sure), cooks breakfast without fail for family, etc... His personality finds comfort in the repeated tasks, most of time, it is the immediate stuffs that worry him.  I don't think he knows what he wants until Young-Jae dares him to venture out of his comfort zone and chose a career tasked with violence and blood hahaha

@7psyche7  her brother is going to have a coffee truck while pursuing his dream of a scriptwriter so I am like all of you wonder who was hurt in the preview :(

20 hours ago, triplem said:

He's approach to things and choices in life represents everything that society expects one to make. Prior to meeting her, he's never done anything out of the ordinary without detailed planning. He is socially awkward but his strength is how grounded and steadfast he is as a person. She goes against the grain and is unafraid to speak her mind. She puts up a confident front but she's also insecure as she is struggling to live her dream and not conform to the norms. The impact of their one day love story may have meant nothing to most people but for him it was everything. He completely fell for her and did things that were uncharacteristic of him. Aigoo, i felt so sorry. First love, first heartbreak - haven't we all been there. Her influence remained as he signed up to be a cop, not something anyone would have ever expected him to become.

I didn't really understand why he was so heartbroken until I read your comment! It makes sense that he is so hurt when the person who prompted him to break away from all of his normal activities, like @bedifferent said, wearing the same white shirt, going on the same subway routes (which tbh I also do the calculation to see whether I will get to school on time LOL), going home after school, then to get that person to tell him that she didn't want to be with him anymore. That must have been a huge blow to him, especially when he allowed himself to be so vulnerable and out of his comfort zone. 

20 hours ago, triplem said:

At 20 it is hard when trying to find oneself especially when you don't fit into society's stereotypes.

I thought about this from a standpoint of a 20 year old, but then I realize that Korean age works a bit different, so technically they're only 18 when this all happened. 18 sounds old, but you just graduated from high school, and it didn't cross my mind that these are just older adolescents and they still want to fit in. It makes sense now that I think about it, she must have felt insecure seeing all her friends going to college when she starts working already with a high school diploma, and being exposed like that can be intensely humiliating, be it for an adult or an adolescent.

4 hours ago, bedifferent said:

He really has no long term outlook like me when I was in undergrad!!! I relate to him.  I didn't know what I wanted to do until I was closed to graduating.hehehe 

Oh lmao now that you say it, I really didn't have any idea what I want to do with my life in my freshmen year of college either. I actually changed my major three times in a span of 6-7 months oops!

thirdcharm01-00317.jpg

Dramabeans

The Third Charm Episode 1

by SailorJumun

Now that everyone’s in the fall mood, JTBC’s wistful romance The Third Charm is a welcome delight. Though this drama is simple in plot, it uses the four seasons to take us through the stages of one long relationship. We spend most of today’s episode in the sweetness of spring, where our couple learns that their “type” may actually lie on the other side of the spectrum.

thirdcharm01-00422.jpg

COMMENTS:

Can we please stay in spring forever? Because, my goodness, the beginning stage of this relationship is too cute for words. We’ve had plenty of opposites-attract couples in dramaland, but I would say that most of the time, it’s solely treated as a trope. Here, it looks like they’re going to examine this type of relationship much more closely, and that alone gets me excited. After that cold, wintery opening, I already had so many questions: Can this relationship really work? Is love enough to outweigh clashing personalities? Clashing goals?

Before we get into all that, let’s backtrack. As much as I love the budding romance, I think the familial relationships are on an entirely different level of precious. Young-jae and Soo-jae have my heart feeling full with their lovely bond. They can be sassy and silly around each other, but in the quieter moments, they can be awfully sweet. When Soo-jae saw Young-jae in the hair salon with a boy, I half-expected him to march in there and get all big-brotherly. The fact that he was excited enough to cancel their original plans killed me. Besides that, I’m also interested in their history together. Being raised by your brother has it quirks, but it seems to have had its toll on Soo-jae and Young-jae in different ways. He’s had to work hard to take care of her, and that has to make her feel pretty guilty.

Joon-young’s parents and little sister were hilarious together, especially during that dinner scene. They obviously care so much for him, but they want to see him loosen up a bit, and understandably so. He’s so efficient in his schoolwork that he seems to have completely disregarded every other aspect of his life. It’ll be good for him, having a girlfriend that seizes the day rather than one that plans every moment out. I loved the gag with the matching backpacks because I don’t know if they would’ve met again otherwise. They were too shy to make the next move, so the backpacks served as a nice excuse. And then the perm served as a nice excuse to spend even more time together.

Young-jae’s shyness at the end surprised me the most, considering her open and loud personality. Esom did a wonderful job of showing how vulnerable even the most outgoing of people can be around someone they like. And Seo Kang-joon, you dorky little puppy, keep doin’ what you’re doin’. It’s working like a charm (sorry, not sorry).

thirdcharm01-00509.jpg

http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/09/the-third-charm-episode-1/

I loved episode 1 but I haven't watched 2 yet.  After reading the recaps, I decided to let it all sink in a bit before I watched episode 2 because it sounds like it really hits a tender spot.  JY is so painfully earnest, and YJ is so quickly reactive that they are bound to be a bit abrasive to one another.  I think I'll enjoy it more if I watch when episodes 3 and 4 are closer at hand.

Why oh why, do they have to be YJ and JY?!  I am gonna be so confused every time I see that.  :blink:

On 10/1/2018 at 11:58 AM, Cecentre said:

Oh lmao now that you say it, I really didn't have any idea what I want to do with my life in my freshmen year of college either. I actually changed my major three times in a span of 6-7 months oops!

While I didn’t change majors , I was definitely not sure of what I wanted to do even up till my A levels.  :D . All I knew was I can’t do meds nor anything with Science. Ended up with Economics & Finance. 

Hello !!  @Lawyerh @gladys57 was wondering if I’d see you guys here after AYHT! 

I like the OST. Perfect feel for the drama 

New stills 

@triplem, I'm in for anything involving SKJ of course. Although I was dissappointed with his AYHT ending, I'm looking forward to this drama. His chemistry with Esom is off the charts. And I adore his super nerdy looks so far. Also looking forward to his transition into a HOT cop role too.:heart:

Anyway, I'm also watching TBM & DJ. But I'm super obsessed with a current daily drama (the cutest OTP ever) so I wont comment much here.:D

Did they just release an early preview and its almost 3 minute long?! They are lovely and emotional :tears: Love the way he asks the questions which ate his braın sınce that day..

The way she look so mature and just smiles with tears! it hurts me, I really want to see her side of view from that times already :c

Just started watching The Third Charm and I gotta say I'm loving it so far.

I really loved this scene and especially love love love the song playing in the background. If anyone knows what the song is called, I'd be grateful. I'm loving the songs so far and can't wait for the OST.

47 minutes ago, mouse007 said:

really loved this scene and especially love love love the song playing in the background. If anyone knows what the song is called, I'd be grateful. I'm loving the songs so far and can't wait for the OST.

Hi dear , yay you are watching this . So this ost has not been officially released yet , but it sounds like Roy Kim. Has that kind of voice . 

2 hours ago, triplem said:

Hi dear , yay you are watching this . So this ost has not been officially released yet , but it sounds like Roy Kim. Has that kind of voice . 

@triplem I would binge watch it if I could! I hope they'll release an OST soon.. 

Hi, I finally caught up with the episodes and I'm loving the show so far. Seo Kang Joon is sooo adorkably cute and awkward. I just wanna squish him. Hehe Esom is also doing a fine job at being the "tough on the outside, softie on the inside" type. She's giving me the Manic Pixie Dream Girl vibes here, too. 

Hhhmmm I don't think it's the brother who dies. Maybe his GF gets killed by the serial killer and he was trying to fend off the attack? Remember he was still in the long preview and he already had longer hair in Year 2013. I didn't want to invest too much in his relationship wih the girlfriend bec it felt too good to ve true. Something bad's gonna happen to them soon enough. T__T (Or maybe it's just me? Hehe)  I'm also thinking maybe he got framed for it? Nooot sure.

Anyway, I can't wait to watch the episode today and see how much they've grown over the past 7/8 years. :)

2 hours ago, butwhatever said:

Hhhmmm I don't think it's the brother who dies. Maybe his GF gets killed by the serial killer and he was trying to fend off the attack? Remember he was still in the long preview and he already had longer hair in Year 2013. I didn't want to invest too much in his relationship wih the girlfriend bec it felt too good to ve true. Something bad's gonna happen to them soon enough. T__T (Or maybe it's just me? Hehe)  I'm also thinking maybe he got framed for it? Nooot sure.

I agree with you about the possibility of his GF gets killed but I think that some bad thing happens to her brother too. In the first episodes he says how pride he is about his legs...maybe is he paralytic now? 

I can't wait for tomorrow.

Just watched both episodes and oh man, I love this already. It's spring here and yasssss this is the kind of content I want now :wub: both Esom and Seo Kang Joon are doing a great job so far, I almost cried with Joon Young. Even the OST ... that song I Cry is simply beautiful!

Gonna camp here for sure. Hello everyone! 

Archived