Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2018] The Third Charm, 제3의 매력

In Ep.15, that scene we saw before where it looked like HC was taking the liquor bottle away from YJ. Now that I see the full scene, it turns out he was trying to take the photo away. And when she drops it, and HC finally loses it... for exactly 3 seconds.

HC, in general, is pretty incredible. He really wanted to make this impossibly tragic situation work. He was so patient, he comforted her, took care of her, and tried to help her. That would be so difficult for anyone to do, considering that he was also grieving the loss of Sori. Throughout the entire show, he's been... unreal, except in that one moment where he expresses his anger and frustration. To the very end, he remains a bland, handsome cipher.

Intellectually I can see why many women would choose Ho-Chul. But the show never convinced me why Young-Jae would. I guess the answer remains that no female would ever say no to this perfect-on-paper man. Ummm, okay.

When Joon-Young confessed that he lied to Se-Eun - I thought it was notable that he did not say to her, "She was drunk, bleeding and collapsed on the floor and couldn't get herself home, so I helped her inside and that was it." Which was the truth.

Instead, he simply says, "I was with Young-Jae," letting her imagine the worst.

He has one foot out the door already. She knows it, too. This marriage isn't happening.

--

Now that the show is finished:

I’m going to have to go with my previous assessment. When you throw a child’s death into the plot, it really dwarfs any other emotion and it really does grind everything into a halt. I was afraid that would happen, and I was hoping that it wouldn’t happen, but in the end, it is what it is. How can any other emotion compare to this tragedy?

You couldn’t have these two end up together in the traditional rom-com way, kissing and declaring love for each other, at least not at this juncture. After all that came before it, it would feel obscene and out of place.

And I'm finally beginning to question whether these writers are amateurs.

For example, those shoes Se-Eun bought are an obvious metaphor. Don't force your feet into ill-fitting shoes (marriage) or you will get blisters... (on your heart). Ooooh, let's hit people over the head with Screenwriting 101. And that scene in 15 where Joo-Ran calls Young-Jae and clearly states the themes of the show while Young-Jae says almost nothing? Yes, great way to work in some exposition without a lot of work.

I also did not like that we know YJ told JY about her child’s death, but we didn’t see the actual moment that it happened, and witness JY’s reaction to it.

Some things do not need to be explicitly shown - such as the scene where JY told his family that he’s not marrying SE. (It also appears that he told them exactly why, that he cannot forget YJ, and that was why his father was so angry.)

But that moment where JY finds out about YJ’s tragedy, I felt like this needed to be shown. And I felt that he should have a specific reaction to it, but we never saw that. I certainly don’t like the implication that he broke up with SE just a few hours later over this. I think he should have broken up with her for the simple reason that they shouldn’t marry each other, and this revelation about Sori should have come after that.

In the end, I feel that HC and SE were ill-served as characters. They were simply vessels, just plot elements that served to keep the main couple apart, but not fully realized human beings.

Ultimately, I feel like the show did have some profound things to say about life and death. That when tragedy happens, you have to let yourself just feel all the emotions and give yourself the time and space to mourn. That is what Young-Jae had to do, and that is what that old man on the island is doing.

Ho-Chul’s solution is for YJ to forget and move on, to stop staring at the photo of the three of them and stop longing for something that is lost forever. I don’t think HC’s way is wrong because people are different and that is his way of dealing with loss. But in the end, we don’t really know anything about him as a person. He remains just a gorgeous mannequin.

So those photos of JY and YJ hanging out together in Portugal never happened. The show’s very advertising posters are of a fantasy timeline? Or let’s just not waste the beautiful locale? I mean, this is just a straight-up bait-and-switch, right?

I still enjoyed it. Despite the many WTF moments, this still felt special. All the actors were amazing, and I'm glad I watched it. I will root for all these actors, including those who played HSH and Ri-Won.

The scene of the two walking together at the end made me feel like I was watching a French New Wave movie. No clear answers, just a whole lot of “Such Is Life…”

And then we get that long photo montage recap of the entire show, which jolted me right back into K-Drama Land, reminding me that I am watching a K-Drama and a whole lot of K-Netizens must be super-pissed right now, pounding their keyboards with rage. (haha)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOaBf8ZQpW9aBnuTjKKr8images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSefDII7nFvNt2Tk2SZbochqdefault.jpg

I actually wondered about this drama while being without electric for 3 days :scream:thanks to an ice storm.  Mainly because I wondered about YJ and what happened to her during that last phone call.  What kind of accident and how badly was she hurt?  I was relieved that it wasn't as bad as I had feared and thankful that JY went running to find out just as I had hoped.

Still that White Knight...

I'm thankful the JY continues to follow his own heart no matter the price he must pay or face.  I think the writer kept him true and honest to the very end in the way he dealt with his fiance who wanted to take the blame for the break up but being JY he wouldn't let that happen and told his family the truth that he was the one.

Can't help who is in his heart or that he still feels love...

I guess I loved the scene of them sitting on the bench and YJ sharing about her past pain and in allowing him to see her weak and broken and lost.  Not just in sharing her story but in them sharing a moment together his tears mixed with hers and for once they were on the same page no holding back or covering up just one speaking & one listening.  No misunderstandings just feelings and willingness to show they care no matter what they have endured bad, good, happy or sad.  They still felt that comfort and love for one another that couldn't be denied and no matter how hard they tried couldn't be covered up.

Love doesn't always have to make sense sometimes it just is what it is.

Whether grabbing ones arm or letting go it doesn't mean the heart can do the same...

Whether the bond was as simple as friendship or as complex as two people who just couldn't leg go of not only their memories but of the understanding that no matter what the future held somehow they seem to always find their way back to one another.  In JY's case the realization that one should never settle for anything less than what their hearts already know and have felt is possible...

Personally I am not a fan of open endings and I would much rather have seen them at least holding hands while waking down that path to the future.  But my fluffy heart wants to believe that there is still some healing and growing they each need to find and do.  If fate has anything to say about it I would say not even New York is to far for love to reach when it comes to cupid and the heart.

Not to mention I think he will know where to find her and her him...

Yet if it were to go the other way I want to believe that when two people have a history and shared as much as they have.  Been there for each other in good and bad times.  Grown in so many ways and while seeing YJ take off her gloves in being more aware of JY but even more in taking care of him and seeing his need.  For they shared pain and fears as well as their happiness and successes. 

That the journey in itself and the fact that this time they left on good terms with smiles instead of brokenness and tears.

Says that even if there timing was a bit off they had some amazing moments when it was really on.

All those firsts they experienced with one another.

Not even time or fate can erase what's already been done and written upon

their hearts.

For they themselves and this story proved that love doesn't end.

When two people lose sight of one another.

No matter the distance or the years...

:heart:

22 hours ago, lu09 said:

Watched with subs. All I can say is what a mess:(. YJ is trying to move on slowly with her life while JY's marriage is going down the hill due to his feelings. And from the preview, it seems like he made a choice that will leave SE brokenhearted.

Poor HC tried his best to console YJ while keeping his grief to himself because he had to be the bigger person for both of them. But due to one sentence he said sent his wife to commit suicide. And that hospital scene, even though what YJ said made sense, still hearing that got to hurt:tears:. Now I believe it wasn't a coincidence that they ended up at JY restaurant. All I can say is he tried his best this time for real and he should not have regrets like he did on his first marriage. 

Poor SE, she is the old version of JY and history told us this will end badly. I felt sad when she said her suspicious were what caused JY to lie to her. Relationships don't work like that. Hope she has the courage to break up with JY herself because she knows herself that this is the end. 

Actually, there are hints that YJ was contemplating suicide before HC said what he did. But, yes, he's devastated for having said it. But it actually finally makes YJ see that he,  too, is in terrible pain and grief. 

8 hours ago, jeijei said:

What happened to SE? Well, she and HC hit it off and had a very healthy relationship.

Now THAT would have been cool. :D

• Like 2

I've completed ep 16...

After watching the ending I felt so empty. 

Did you realize that after meeting and talking to JY, YJ finally picked herself up? She fed the cat, took a walk down memory lane, found the first salon she worked at, reminisced about the first charm? She also started smiling and completely cheered up. That is what happens when you interact with someone comfortable that you can 'heal' yourself. 

I'm pretty happy they didn't show what happened to SE and HC. In life, sometimes you just never see some people again, even if they played a big role in your life during a certain period of time. That's understandable to me.

The thing I can't reconcile is... JY told his mom that he tried hard to forget about YJ but in the end he can't help himself and still had feelings for her. Now that she is single and he is single too, wouldn't he want to reach out to her and live near her? If you love someone, and both are available, why would you leave each other? I also found it strange that they didn't keep in contact with each other anymore, or see each other regularly.

It's just like how I didn't understand why YJ broke up with JY during the second charm. It was ambiguous and left up to the imagination of the audience. Maybe the writers just really want to leave some mystery in the plot. To me, it was not makjang, it was real life, but after completing 16 eps some parts are like mysterious investigative drama, similar to a prosecutor show. 

Probably their relationship turned into one where they are always around for each other, but need not be physically meeting each other so often. It became 'an old friendship'. The romance part just depleted itself out... 

The entire relationship between YJ and JY somehow stayed puppy-love-ish. They entirely skipped out any physical relations. Also no let's-guess-did-they-sleep-together-or-not scenes. But with HC, it seemed like the relationship immediately jumped to adulthood.  

The whole production and drama was excellent. The cast and production team, as well as the writers, should be really proud of themselves. 

This was one of the very very few current drama that I watched to completion. The last one that was similarly satisfying and ended up in my top 5 list was BTIMFL. I actually felt that I had a connection to every character, and I didn't fast-forward or skip scenes too.

I was hoping that there would be a mature, sweet ending (hopeful about YJ-JY romance again) but it was maybe a little too realistic for me. I need closure. 

• Like 9

I think why this drama spiralled out for me...was really that I signed up for a fluffy romcom....but it became one of those slice of life stories....with tragedies thrown in by the bucketload in the last 4  to 5 eps

yes real life can be and is like that...but k drama is escapism to me...silly funny and heartwarming....

have been reading the dramamilk recaps for the last 4 eps and havent been able to bring myself to watch the eps yet....am almost afraid too

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chickfactor said:

When Joon-Young confessed that he lied to Se-Eun - I thought it was notable that he did not say to her, "She was drunk, bleeding and collapsed on the floor and couldn't get herself home, so I helped her inside and that was it." Which was the truth.

Instead, he simply says, "I was with Young-Jae," letting her imagine the worst.

Some things do not need to be explicitly shown - such as the scene where JY told his family that he’s not marrying SE. (It also appears that he told them exactly why, that he cannot forget YJ, and that was why his father was so angry.)

But that moment where JY finds out about YJ’s tragedy, I felt like this needed to be shown. And I felt that he should have a specific reaction to it, but we never saw that. I certainly don’t like the implication that he broke up with SE just a few hours later over this. I think he should have broken up with her for the simple reason that they shouldn’t marry each other, and this revelation about Sori should have come after that.

Ultimately, I feel like the show did have some profound things to say about life and death. That when tragedy happens, you have to let yourself just feel all the emotions and give yourself the time and space to mourn. That is what Young-Jae had to do, and that is what that old man on the island is doing.

Great points in the post.  I'm sorry for segmenting it.  Thank you and thank you for your live recaps!

Joon Young's relationship with Se-Eun started partly a projection of his own past where he was invisible and not loved.  I felt he was grateful for being found.  Se-Eun was the first person who made the effort to reach out to him and made him felt loved as well as important.  For her adoration, Joon Young felt the need to reciprocate, something every fiber in his character said is the right thing to do, down to the proposal.  The responsible Joon Young followed the everyman's protocol.

He acted and did what was expected of the perfect son or boyfriend.  He learned to love Se-Eun (reminding himself everyday in his journal like he would studying for his exams).  It is not too different than what happened between Ho Chul and Young Jae.  This mature love, if is fed with care and attention, can flourish.  Their relationship mirrors the kind of love between my own parents.  Theirs was not a passionate 20-something love affair but one between friends who became lovers over time.  What I thought is more interesting is Joon Young's own character, specifically his sense of responsibilities and perfectionism, changed over time.  What he demanded on himself has become a burden to carry.  The Joon Young that we know in the beginning has changed as he lived into his 30-something.  Seeing Young Jae again stirred up emotions, anger, sadness, guilt... eventually, his heart changed its rhythm and beat for another woman.  The misery that he felt are pent up pressure of trying to continue acting like the perfect person, son, BF.  Seeing Joon Young admitting to his mother that he is a failure made me realized how much pressure he has put on himself to be perfect.  I love hearing his mom reminded him that parents love their children unconditionally.  I also loved how she told him she disappointed her parents as a child too.

Joon Young and Young Jae's returning to the island bookended their journey and showed how both have switched places now. She who yearned for exciting life now appreciates the quiet one.  He who was not career driven now finds himself looking for a new challenge in New York.  I think the main reason why Joon Young declined to be sous chef in Lisbon in the past was his reluctance to leave things that he is comfortable at.  Seeing the radio still worked after all these years validate for both YJ/YJ that relationship broken and mended can survive.  People who you love at some points in your life will disappoint you in some degrees at least once.  For appa On, it’s not so much of a big deal that love and ramen can’t heal.   For Joon Young, it’s a big step for him to embrace the unexpected future, live fearlessly, and embrace failures.

I have to come back another time for more.  :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, triplem said:

I really liked the first half of this drama very much - while it was funny , it was also very heartfelt. The second half became a makjang mess...not the sort of drama I signed up for . Sure its realistic , but heck RL is hard enough. I needed my dramas to serve up some magic :unsure: Oh i don't mind some angst but not when I had to suffer needlessly :huh:

This drama is like a train wreck... i really cant watch it anymore like in mid of the episodes. And i just reread the ending it even become more makjang? Wow.. Even for handsome SKJ i also still cant take it. Too stressful for me... i think even in real life you wont continue keep seeing same people and try for like 3 times for unsuccesful relationship. I just see the open ending and actually i think they shouldnt be together.. it just wont work. Just my opinion. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, dramaninja said:

Yeah pretty much a waste of time, they where miserable most of the drama  but made it extra miserable the last episodes.

They never really gotten anywhere. :neutral:

Not a total waste of time for them....They used that time to make two other really nice people really miserable too, then discarded them never to be seen or considered again. So they did achieve something...B)

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

22 hours ago, philosophie said:

This knetizen perfectly summarizes my thoughts. I was really anticipating for this to be less dark than it was advertised. I also don’t like the turn of the events where YJ is miserable now that she lost her child but live a life so happy she never once spared a thought for JY so if her kid were still alive, she wouldn’t even want to be with him. Whereas JY had been on a whole sabbatical and self discovery while in sadness during the time she was happily married, and now seeing her he wavers but has had nothing circumstantial happen to him where if it had no happened he would be with SE except for meeting YG herself.

Honestly had JY not treated SE like he did this last epeisode after how she has pursued him and given so much (which was her choice so yes doing those things doesn’t mean one should expect to be returned or unwavering devotion from the person they are pursuing) but if you wanted leads that are relatable or at least not acting like trash, then don’t have one breaking an innocent girl’s heart and another settling with their ex because of past grievances.

My sentiments exactly!! This is what makes the third charm so absurd, at least if there were character development then it would all make sense. But honestly the situation both leads are in is toxic.

Yeah by the end I was drained too :/

I tried to give it a chance.... but it finally brought out my sarcastic, eye-rolling side. 

Big praise for all the actors! They totally carried a bad script. They almost saved this drama, but some bad writing just can't be surmounted. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, 122am said:

The thing I can't reconcile is... JY told his mom that he tried hard to forget about YJ but in the end he can't help himself and still had feelings for her. Now that she is single and he is single too, wouldn't he want to reach out to her and live near her? If you love someone, and both are available, why would you leave each other? I also found it strange that they didn't keep in contact with each other anymore, or see each other regularly.

It's just like how I didn't understand why YJ broke up with JY during the second charm. It was ambiguous and left up to the imagination of the audience. Maybe the writers just really want to leave some mystery in the plot. To me, it was not makjang, it was real life, but after completing 16 eps some parts are like mysterious investigative drama, similar to a prosecutor show. 

Probably their relationship turned into one where they are always around for each other, but need not be physically meeting each other so often. It became 'an old friendship'. The romance part just depleted itself out... 

I don’t know if you share the same but here goes my own opinions about JY/YJ.  They broke up the second time not because they fell out of love, rather she felt sorry for having to unfairly pressure Joon Yoong to always fix their relationship.  At the time, his unconditional love for her (almost blindly to her faults and character) is his handicap.  He will force himself to accept the short end of the stick, forgives her beyond reasons, making him the martyr for their love.  In her mind, she knows she will make mistakes that will hurt him.  Maybe she also felt the pressure to respond to his perfect nature accordingly when she herself is not.  Young Jae didn’t feel comfortable in Joon Young’s world when they were 27.  She knew they were not walking at the same pace despite walking side by side.   It was more difficult and burdensome to remain together when both saw their roles in the relationship through a different lense.

The walk through the snow in the last episode was eye opening for Young Jae.  It’s true they’ve known each other for 12 years but the relationship is still lacking in many ways.  When younger, both tried hard to overcome the feeling of being opposite, the years afterward really showed how much they don’t fit.  Things don’t necessarily happen as planned.  At the end, both were at peace that their relationship over the years were necessary stepping stones for future ones.  JY/YJ became solace for each other, acknowledging  how much they rely on each other to be better people.  They may never become romantic again, who knows.  Just like the relationship of Riwon and Sang Hyun, this one defies convention.

I do feel sorry for Se Eun.  She deserves better; however with the right person who puts her front and center.  Someone whom she feels comfortable around and be her authentic self with. Like Joo Ran who found Soo Jae.

• Like 4

I watched this drama because of Seo Kang Joon.  He's a good actor and I praise him for giving his best to this rubbish drama.  Still, he was not able to make me like his character here being stupid and mean.  My heart goes to his fiance who did nothing wrong but to love him faithfully. 

• Like 4

[The Third Charm] FINALE Ep 16 spoilers, Seo Kang Joon & Esom / Yang Dong Gun ♥ Lee Yoon Ji

charm16.png

Article: Naver 'The Third Charm' Seo Kang Joon and Esom stay as friends... Yang Dong Gun ♥ Lee Yoon Ji get married 

1. [+1785,-22]
People who have watched till the 4th episode are second class, people who didn't even start this drama are first class, and people who have watched till the end, 3rd class. 

2. [+1379,-43]
Joon Young-ah, let's improve on your skills in picking scripts
.. If you keep choosing scripts like these, you'll fall quickly.. 

3. [+970,-10]
I liked the part when they were 20s the most. That period of him wearing teeth corrections. 

4. [+769,-20]
This is the worst. This final episode. 

5. [+466,-12]
Their days when they were University students were the most interesting parts. 

6. [+295,-5]
Scriptwriter, please do not write again. I'm serious. 

7. [+252,-4]

Cancelling the wedding an hour before their marriage meeting. ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ And he's not one bit worried of Se Eun after that. ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Is that real? 

8. [+238,-2]
Esom and Seo Kang Joon dated for 6 months / She married Ho Chul for 4 years. 

9. [+224,-4]
I think I get that the scriptwriter is trying to convey that first loves are difficult to forget. But I recommend her to open a fried chicken restaurant instead. 

Spoiler

3rd.png

Article: Naver 'The Third Charm' Kim Yoon Hye at Seo Kang Joon's breakup, "Don't be sorry" tears 

1. [+1047,-23]
This is insane. He went overseas and came back within 4 years. And he ditched the girl he had a long distance relationship with. ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

2. [+856,-14]
It's the third charm. No ordinary person can understand it. 

3. [+661,-8]
Who's the scriptwriter? Yang Dong Gun? 

4. [+614,-13]
A drama which I can't understand one bit. 

5. [+331,-1]
This is frustrating... That's his ex-girlfriend who broke up with him to go with the guy he disliked, she gave birth to a child and lived happily till the child died. After breaking up with her, he went to Portugal and lived a difficult life learning culinary. During that period of time, his girlfriend came to him and dated him. She was practically a daughter-in-law in his family's eyes. But he's a man who breaks off his engagement because he can't forget his ex-girlfriend. No matter how much times have changed, let's not wrap this up nicely in this way. 

6. [+248,-4]
In reality, would you want to date your ex-girlfriend who is a divorcee and had a child?? This is an annoying drama. How selfish. 

7. [+169,-5]
Why did the female lead get married and have a child? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ She broke up with her boyfriend because of that brat. ㅋㅋ Money is the best, isn't it??? 

8. [+155,-3]
Been a long while since I've cursed so much watching a drama. ㅋㅋ Since it was already 
makjang, they should let Young Jae's ex-husband and Joon Young's ex-girlfriend go on a 'some' relationship. ㅋ

cr
  • Confused 1
  • LOL 10

10 hours ago, 122am said:

I've completed ep 16...

After watching the ending I felt so empty. 

Did you realize that after meeting and talking to JY, YJ finally picked herself up? She fed the cat, took a walk down memory lane, found the first salon she worked at, reminisced about the first charm? She also started smiling and completely cheered up. That is what happens when you interact with someone comfortable that you can 'heal' yourself. 

I'm pretty happy they didn't show what happened to SE and HC. In life, sometimes you just never see some people again, even if they played a big role in your life during a certain period of time. That's understandable to me.

The entire relationship between YJ and JY somehow stayed puppy-love-ish. They entirely skipped out any physical relations. Also no let's-guess-did-they-sleep-together-or-not scenes. But with HC, it seemed like the relationship immediately jumped to adulthood.  

The whole production and drama was excellent. The cast and production team, as well as the writers, should be really proud of themselves. 

This was one of the very very few current drama that I watched to completion. The last one that was similarly satisfying and ended up in my top 5 list was BTIMFL. I actually felt that I had a connection to every character, and I didn't fast-forward or skip scenes too.

I was hoping that there would be a mature, sweet ending (hopeful about YJ-JY romance again) but it was maybe a little too realistic for me. I need closure. 

The way I see it is that she started to heal after talking to JY not because it was taking to someone "comfortable," but because he wasn't in any way connected to Sori, and because she reached a certain distance in their relationship. He's now just a friend with whom she can talk to, and most importantly, she knows he wouldn't judge her.

You're 100% right about their relationship staying at the puppy-love level. It was always at that level, at every Charm, and that's why she broke up with him the 2nd time. They were always just in puppy-love.  Her adult love was with HC. I don't think JY has found his own adult love yet. 

I was really disappointed not getting closure about HC and SE for the simple reason that by the end, I cared far more about them than the main couple. 

• Like 1

I'm not watching the last episode anymore and be stressed more.  Gosh, the ending is so frustrating.  I hope Seo Kang Joon will be careful in accepting his roles next time.  Dramas like this will just ruin his career.  This is the worst drama that I have watched.  I can't even feel the chemistry between Seo Kang Joon and Esom.  Is she supposed to be older than SKJ in this drama, like Son Ye Jin in Something in the Rain?

3 hours ago, tali58 said:

I was really disappointed not getting closure about HC and SE for the simple reason that by the end, I cared far more about them than the main couple. 

I am, too.  The two unadultered and lovable characters in the drama vanished into thin air just like that.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ardently said:

I'm not watching the last episode anymore and be stressed more.  Gosh, the ending is so frustrating.  I hope Seo Kang Joon will be careful in accepting his roles next time.  Dramas like this will just ruin his career.  This is the worst drama that I have watched.  I can't even feel the chemistry between Seo Kang Joon and Esom.  Is she supposed to be older than SKJ in this drama, like Son Ye Jin in Something in the Rain?

I think they supposed to be same age in the drama right? In the beggining theyre a bit cute (during university), and i was thought maybe i can watch this, but its steadily going worse from there. I also think the main problem aside than the story is the lack of chemistry and compatibility between the lead. She's only older than him by 3 yrs in real life, but yeah it feels like the gap is big. Son ye jin and the young fella have more chemistry than them btw... 

• Like 2

I tried to keep on being a silent reader here, after my last post in this thread, but can’t help it to write something now. I totally with @tali58 @Lawyerh  @ardently and @dramaninja I did not like this drama, watched it to support SKJ and big mistake. I don’t see worshipping depression and hardship in life as something for you to be selfish, all about you and only you, when you happily married not even a single letter or call to your ex boyfriend, and when you depressed suddenly he is on speed dial? She was nice by going to the blind date? No, she’s not, because she left the guy rudely. This was the trigger for the breakup between JY and SE. SE was wrong by suggesting the blind date, but she agreed to it and smiled (I wonder the meaning behind the smile). If she was nice and sincere at least she could finish the meal and tell the guy thank you but she had to apologized as currently she has no intention of having a serious relationship. JY being still in love with her, was angry and dismayed that SE dare to set the love of his live for a blind date, how dare she (this is my interpretation of his deep anger), it’s not a trust matter, it’s because he still love her deeply.

I was and still struggling with depression, not a beautiful part of life. (I wrote this because I know there will be comments what this person know about depression). I have a depressed bipolar mother too. But most of us do not have this me and me alone attitude. 

For JY, it’s ok to dump your fiance a day before the parents meetup, waste her time because you were touched by her effort and you think you could love her. You cared and spend your time with her, it can turned to love, even you know that you still wholeheartedly love another person (for me, he didn’t keep his love in a little part of his heart, he keep his love with all his heart). I don’t buy his tears, why he need to cry, he cried because of his parents not because of breakup from SE. 

As I mentioned before, not funny to portray people with the disorder as on the first few episodes and miraculously he live normally when he on the second charm period, no consistency at all by writer, bad writing. Good thing I didn’t spent 100% of my time on this drama, even with SKJ on screen, it’s just too hard to bear. I would have appreciate the drama better if suicide scene changed to bravely face your “mistake” and hand in hand work it out with your spouse. Suicide? That’s shallow, also showing the viewer that you are alone in Korean society, no friend to talk to but your boyfriend. What happen to the good old friendship, a friend with a shoulder to lean on?

And I also agree with knetz, this writer and director should not make any more drama. First love never die? I feel bad for the youngsters who watch this drama, some of them might or already keep this concept in their mind, this is the love story that they want and expect for their life. I know because I deal with those youngsters who keep all the dating information from kdrama as reference to their real life, and they took it by heart disregard all logic.

And I’m ready for those who love this drama with all their heart to flame me :D but I need to get this out of my chest (we are allowed to agree to disagree right?). SKJ should pick his next project carefully.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, tali58 said:

I tried to give it a chance.... but it finally brought out my sarcastic, eye-rolling side. 

Big praise for all the actors! They totally carried a bad script. They almost saved this drama, but some bad writing just can't be surmounted. 

I feel like nothing can surmount bad writing.

I once read a quote by George Lucas from the book "Easy Riders, Raging Bulls."

It's excepted here: (https://www.vulture.com/2010/12/george_lucas_will_choke_a_cat.html) - just for verification.

The quote is: “If you want me to make you feel something, that’s not hard. I’ll choke a kitten in front of you, and you’ll feel something."

So whenever I feel like I'm watching a gratuitous plot element thrown in just to provoke a reaction, I think to myself - they're strangling the cat. Basically, when I feel like the story is manipulating me to feel emotion that doesn't feel earned.

I can't help but conclude that that is what Sori's death was. (And it was almost a cruel cosmic joke that a cat was involved.)

I tried to give this storyline a chance, I really did. I wanted to see the whole show before passing judgment, but in the end, it … did not work. This element of the story was clearly put in there so that we can find a reason to forgive Young-Jae and to give Joon-Young a reason to blow up his life for her.

The writing is also bad because they did not “show their work.” You know how when you do math problems in school, you have to show your work? It doesn’t matter if the answer is correct, you also have to show how you solved the problem, or else you did not complete the assignment. There were a lot of these holes in this story.

We need to know why Young-Jae married Ho-Chul. We can always fill the blanks in our imagination - for example, maybe because she spent the past 7 years taking care of Soo-Jae, both emotionally and financially, she was tired, and she wanted someone to take care of her for once, and Ho-Chul seemed like a better bet. Or maybe she just thought Ho-Chul was more attractive, and more her type of man. If that was her emotional journey, let's SEE that. Otherwise, it's cheating. It's just an answer without working through the problem.

Instead, you had the child's death become the catalyst for everything. An emotional bomb. It made it impossible to blame Young-Jae for anything (how can you blame a bereaved mother?) but it also made it impossible for any emotion after that point to feel organic, and took time away from developing Ho-Chul as a full-blooded human being, instead of a handsome and saintly mannequin.

They already used tragedy (Soo-Jae's injury) to push that MELO button on the story. Then they pushed it at least one or two many times.

They strangled the cat too many times.

It really wasn’t all bad. I still really liked the show in spite of everything. The good:

The actors were all pretty great, right? I feel like that’s one thing everyone agrees on. Let’s hope they all get better roles in better projects next time.

The YJ-JY chemistry was really terrific. Even just seeing the earlier scenes in the flashbacks made me smile. It’s not easy to make two attractive people falling in love in a K-Drama feel fresh and adorable, but they did it. It’s probably why about 25% of Ep.16 was devoted to flashbacks. The writers wrote themselves into a corner and ended up with nothing much to say, and they needed to fill the time. It was like them saying to us, “Remember when we made you feel good emotions instead of the vague dissatisfaction you feel right now?”

The Ohn parents may be the coolest, most easygoing parents ever in K-Drama. Their daughter shacks up with her boyfriend and raises a kid, refuses to get married. Their son quits college, becomes a detective, then quits that job on the day of an awards ceremony, and ends up in cooking school in Portugal? Your average weekend makjang parents would be having conniption fits, their heads wrapped and curled up in bed. But the Ohn parents just grumbled, shrugged, and went about their lives. What an awesome example of parents who respect their kids and do not treat them like vessels of their own ambitions.

The music was great.

In general, the writing was not all terrible. Some of the dialogue was pretty good. And whatever happened, I was completely obsessed with this show, and it got under my skin. That doesn't happen with every K-Drama I watch, so ummm, yay?

The bad:

Well, the writing was... they clearly did not think it through. Too much tragedy, not enough follow-up.

Underused HSH. Wasn't he JY's awesome, loyal bestie? Also, his ONLY friend? JY can't sit down, crack open a soju bottle and talk things over with him? Like... once?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have been reading comment here and got inspired to write my own revamped outline to the theme of third charm as I love writing myself. so here is my short outline. I hope it is ok sharing it here :) 

First charm - in college early 20

They meet in college as freshmen and becomes friends. They have opposite personality as he is introvert and she is extrovert. But they have something in common as they share interest in books and movies and click. So they start to feel something more than just friends, but as their college time is nearing the end they never got to explore their romantic feelings. 

He is moving to another city as he start to work there (this is a part of his character growth as he normally like to just be by himself and ned to be more confident)

Second Charm - late 20

They have kept in contact true social media, but now she is moving to the town he is living in as she got work there. they start to meet up again and deepen their friendship even more. also their feelings grow deeper. But they cant pursue a relationship as they both are in committed relationship with other people. They do want to help each other relationships, but for different reason they end up breaking up with their partner. this time she got bushed at work to move oversees for a period of time and they loose contact with each other. 

Third charm - early 30

He is thinking about her and start to search for her on social media and contacting her friends. He finally fiend her and they start to catch up with each other. they both single and becomes sweethearts and get married and follow them as they grow their family. 

This is just a draft I have written, but I am wondering about really writing this :)  

• Like 2