[Drama 2018] The Third Charm, 제3의 매력

0ly40

SJ and JR.  

Spoiler

Precious memories.

Spoiler

@sheza @chickfactor @tali58 @triplem @USAFarmgirl @jbying7 @122am have to watch subs and let it sink in.  The many kinds of love we see in this drama, let's not forget about parental love (Joon Young's parents and the halabogi's).  How one finds love, lose it... the greatest love is to love yourself despite what life brings.  Sometimes you keep going with others help, sometimes you must dig inside yourself for that strength.  Young Jae and Joo Ran learned to be stronger than they imagined they are capable of.  Soo Jae and Joon Young learned to be the right source of strength for others.  

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, akiera said:

What happened to SE?  How did they broke up?

Lol..I want to know as well...the way I see it - while the ending is "open" , it is still an okay ending in sense that both seem honest to themselves. I am guessing that he broke it off with SE , and that is the best thing he did for her as it would be unfair for him to marry her if his heart is not really in it. In that last video posted above , sans the subs, JY and YJ both seem to have found inner peace. At least they remain good friends  and in each other's lives. 

Anyone know what happen to the sis & bestie? Did they ever marry? 

Sigh I confess @bedifferent , I am one of those who really wanted the 3rd charm to be a bit more com than melo. I really liked the first half of this drama very much - while it was funny , it was also very heartfelt. The second half became a makjang mess...not the sort of drama I signed up for . Sure its realistic , but heck RL is hard enough. I needed my dramas to serve up some magic :unsure: Oh i don't mind some angst but not when I had to suffer needlessly :huh:.  Nevertheless , I thought both the leads were great, especially SKJ...he had to shed tears every episode. I think he should be quite emotionally drained by the end since i can see  he really put his heart into this. 

I agree that the most important thing that the leads had to learn was to properly love themselves first before they could love another person.

@triplem LOL, you know I am allergic to makjang...  this drama was bearable for the great performances by the cast.  I discovered Seo Kang Joon and Lee Yong Ji! :lol:  Esom was fantastic. 

Other than the drawn out depressing episodes, I like the drama for what it wants to say.  The open ending was most fitting.  Great to see the light and sunshine at the end.... no rainbow and unicorn.  But is a happy ending for what they have endured.  I don't regret watching it @USAFarmgirl

I dont see the ending as satisfying anyway especially after the previous episodes .

I am so sick of dramas doing stuff like this I hate open endings.The main couples relationship  went absolutely no where.But everyone else gets weddings and such.

Ah oh well what can you do?

6 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

@triplem LOL, you know I am allergic to makjang...  this drama was bearable for the great performances by the cast.  I discovered Seo Kang Joon and Lee Yong Ji! :lol:  Esom was fantastic. 

Other than the drawn out depressing episodes, I like the drama for what it wants to say.  The open ending was most fitting.  Great to see the light and sunshine at the end.... no rainbow and unicorn.  But is a happy ending for what they have endured.  I don't regret watching it @USAFarmgirl

Esom has this charisma and aura to her. She is excellent at playing these outwardly confident characters  but yet vulnerable at the same time.

I am looking forward to reading @USAFarmgirl 's take as well, but I know where she lives there has been storms etc and the internet is down. So hoping she's alright. 

hahahah.. sis is  preggers again..

Spoiler

Posted by Esom's agency...last photo has a vid of her and SKJ finishing the filming]

Spoiler

Some photos from the wrap up party..

Spoiler

Cutting cake with PD

Spoiler

I am happy with the ending. Also I have said this before and will say it again, Esom is an amazing actress. She portrayed her character perfectly from the sad moments to the happy ones. A lot of people look over her because she does not have the "perfect" look according to korean standards (I think she's beautiful), but this drama showed me that I should watch any future dramas that have her in them. Whenever she cried, I felt like crying with her, and when she was happy I felt better too. Of course, the rest of the cast was amazing as well.

I know many people are not satisfied with this ending because it is not the normal lovey-dovey ending or even better, a marriage. However, I think this is what makes the drama more about actual life. There are these people who are dealing with real-life issues that really do cause emotional and physical distress. This drama is about how they find their escape to these issues. I too like dramas about falling at first sight or fate, but I think that the realistic component of this drama kept me watching until the end. This is the first one in a long time where I felt a real connection to the characters (a lot of drama characters and storylines are exaggerated or too good to be true, making them difficult to relate to). Anyways, thank you to everyone who made this drama possible and it was nice talking to y'all on this forum! :)

Ep. 16 - Live Recap

The scene from last night when JY runs to YJ as she enters the building. Holds her wrist, then lets go.

Walks home. YJ sees him out. JY sits in his empty restaurant, looking at the apron that SE sent him as a gift that he wears daily.

The next day the Ohn family get ready for their family meeting. They are so cute and excited. HSH is dressed up. Parents say that the nice clothes make him look handsome. Ri-Won compliments him by saying that his handsome face is making the clothes look nicer. (Awww.)

Se-Eun getting dressed. Gets a phone call.

Ohn parents still excited and cute. Jokes about how he stayed out all night and must be with Se-Eun.

JY meets SE at her building. JY tells SE that he cannot go to the family meeting.

SE: Because I love you, and I trust you, I thought I would be okay. But this is all very hard for me, too. I can't do this anymore. And Oppa, you shouldn't feel sorry or guilty. This relationship... I am the one letting it go. (turns and walks back in)

Back inside her home, she has blisters on her heels from the poorly fitting shoes. (ill-fitting shoes = ill-fitting marriage) Calls her Mom and tells her to go sightseeing in Seoul instead of the family meeting, and that she will explain later. Hangs up and cries.

Ohn family gets into the car to leave, but JY walks up to them. Soon, everyone is sitting inside the home and everyone looks dour and sad. Ri-Won tells HSH to take Da-In outside. Ohn Father finally loses it and starts hitting JY on his back, who sits there silently.

Soo-Jae is in Joo-Ran's room at the hospital packing her bag for her. She's with her doctor, who is telling her that she did a good job going through her second round of chemo, and that she will see her in 2 weeks.

Looks like they rented a vacation home. Soo-Jae tells her to do nothing and relax and he will do everything.

Young-Jae feeds a stray cat. She smiles. She's on a bus. She walks to look at her old rooftop home where she lived with Soo-Jae. She also goes to the street area where Soo-Jae used to have his coffee truck. She goes to the cafe where she met Joon-Young at the blind date and thinks about the past. She goes to the amusement park where she went with Joon-Young. She also goes to the hair salon where she used to work back then, and thinks about her first kiss with Joon-Young.

JY's restaurant is closed.

HSH is folding laundry with RW. HSH is worried that JY is not answering his phone. RW says that he doesn't understand JY either. HSH worries about Ohn parents.

Ohn father sits outside looking at the persimmon tree. Mom comes out to ask him to eat. They both look depressed.

JY sitting alone in his closed restaurant. Mom comes by. She says that she knew that parents cannot control their children, but that parents are still sensitive and often feel sad, like when kids forget parents' day holiday or something. And that is just how life is.

But she says that she knows he didn't do this because he doesn't respect them, so he needs to not worry about them and use all his effort to worry about himself. They both cry.

He says that he is suffering too, because he knows he shouldn't let this happen, but it happened anyway.

He says, "I keep trying to not think about it (YJ) and I tried so hard to bury it, but I just couldn't. It couldn't be helped. This is my choice, and my suffering is something that I must bear. But I am so sorry, to SE, to her parents, and to my family."

Mom says that they should both go out to eat. JY agrees.

JR and SJ by a fire. JR speaks about "before she was sick" which she realizes was just 1 month ago. She talks about how doing her hair and makeup took an hour every day. But now she doesn't need to do that anymore, and she has a lot more time, so she plans to take naps and read books and watch movies, just like he used to do. Then she repeats what he said to her before:

"Without hope, there is no despair. Without happiness, there isn't sadness. And without dating, there is no reason to get dumped. And I won't have to spend money on shampoo anymore."

SJ recalls that conversation, and how she encouraged him to not give up on love. He thought that it was weird that she said that, like, "What does she know?" But later that night as he thought about it, he burst into tears and thought that when incomprehensible suffering comes, someone who can comfort you also comes along.

He worries that she might be cold so maybe they should go inside. She says she enjoys watching the fire. He puts his coat on her. She says she is sorry. SJ says that all the women he knows always say "sorry" when they should just say "thanks" instead. Quotes the movie "Love Story" - "Love means never having to say you are sorry."

Back inside. He puts toothpaste on her toothbrush and says that it's organic, and she should only use and eat the very best things. He tells her to wash up and he will sleep on the sofa. She says, "Thank you" and he looks chuffed.

Ohn family decorating the Christmas tree. Da-In asks Grandpa to join them but he doesn't, and he still looks depressed and out of it.

Joon-Young taking the ferry by himself. He goes to that island where he went on that charity trip with YJ, and looks around the spots where they spent time together. He goes to visit that elderly couple and the man comes out to ask him if the two of them had promised each other to meet here. Young-Jae is there.

It turns out that the wife passed away. The man speaks and tells JY that the radio he fixed for them worked very well. But he didn't listen to it for a while because it reminded him of her. Other people told him that he must feel relieved that the lady passed away because she couldn't move around. But he says they don't know anything, and that without her, everything feels meaningless. Their children urged him to move out of this house and forget about her. He tried, but he ended up moving back in and feels much better.

He sleeps with her pillow next to him, and cleans up the place just like she is there. That the place reminds him of her and that is how he wants to live. He says it is best to just let himself miss her instead of trying to push those feelings away.

He thanks Young-Jae for cutting her hair and that she took a photo afterwards. He thanks her for leaving him with an image of her looking extra pretty. They all eat sweet potatoes together.

YJ and JY walk back the same path together. They reminisce about the past and talk about how time feels like it hasn't passed here. He complains about the cold and she gives him her gloves to wear. She says she knew him for 12 years and didn't know he was sensitive to the cold. He says they haven't spent winter together.

She says that she didn't know anything but concluded that they didn't fit. He says, yeah, we didn't know anything. It begins to snow.

He says it's fascinating that things don't work out the way you want. She says that is why important to keep making effort because what's ahead is important.

Looks like it's surgery day for Joo-Ran, and she's sitting in the bathroom looking scared. Comes out. Soo-Jae asks JR if they had met before he injured his legs, would she have liked him? And if she hadn't gotten sick, would he have found the courage? So their injury and illness is the universe conspiring them to get them together. And he says that her old crazy hair and goblin-like makeup was hiding her true beauty, and that with her short hair, he can finally see that even the back of her head is lovely.

A nurse comes by to take her to surgery. SJ goes with her to see her off. This is so cute and lovely. He says that he will wait right here for her, so be brave and do well. He cries after she goes in.

YJ seems to have moved back in with SJ. (yay) She looks around her old home and sits by the window.

JY returns to his restaurant and begins to tidy up.

SJ's movie people. They cast MJ and he signs he contract. SJ thanks MJ for breaking his prejudice.

JR in bed, reading a book. YJ comes to visit. The other employees from the salon come to visit. They say that they are sad that she didn't tell them that she is sick. She scolds them for leaving the shop empty. It's all super cute.

JR talks to YJ later alone. JR talks about how even all those smart doctors don't know exactly why these diseases happen, and how things will turn out. But the one thing they are always sure and right about is that being with others and spending time with people you love is a good thing. JR tells YJ she is sorry that she wasn't there for YJ, but that she is grateful to YJ for being there for her.

JY comes home and sees his father drinking alone. He bows in greeting, but Father ignores him. Still angry.

He makes ramyun for his father. (He puts American cheese in it. WHAT?)

Father puts down a soju cup for JY, silently inviting him to sit down. (Koreans and their love language of alcohol!) They each pour a cup for the other.

Father scoops some ramyun into a bowl for JY to eat. (Love language of alcohol and ramyun!) He grabs another bowl for himself. They eat. Mom comes out to see them eating together, smiles and goes back into her bedroom.

Spring. HSH is sending Da-In off to all-day kindergarten. Is sentimental about how fast she is growing up. HSH talks to RW about how he will have a lot more time to himself now, and plans to do more sports or cultural activities.

RW says she has a gift for him and hands him a pregnancy test. Also hands him a filled-out marriage registration form. Says that she will not do a wedding because wearing a wedding gown creeps her out. He says he really wants to wear a tuxedo, but he hugs her and says thank you.

Ohn mother coloring Father's hair. They talk about how when they first met, other people called them Jeremy Irons and Meg Ryan. It turns out that they're retired now, and they're going on a date. Cute.

JY and YJ dressing up.

It's SJ and JR's wedding. They look so cute. YJ goes up to make a speech. She is the officiant. It's a simple and very elegant statement.

JY is catering the wedding. MJ is singing a song for them.

YJ jokes that her brother wanted a "small wedding" but he hired a famous chef and a Hallyu star to sing, so it's not a small wedding at all. They both laugh.

They go for a walk afterwards. It turns out YJ bought the old salon where she used to work and enjoys a more easygoing life. JY is going to become a top chef at a famous restaurant in NY. He says he wants to be busy.

YJ (vo): As time passes, we are becoming adults. But as ever, we are clumsy and we make many mistakes. And that is why we comfort each other and embrace each other, as always.

JY (vo): The past sadness and hardships make us become mature, along with the happiness we felt together. Is that why we continue to walk together? So that I can become the me who is fulfilled?

I love the actor and actress. I really do hope we see them again very soon. The male lead had already starred in a show that finished not too long ago (AYHT) so I hope to see Ewok again at just the same rate of speed. She is too talented not to be a main character again.

4 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Ep. 16 - Live Recap

The scene from last night when JY runs to YJ as she enters the building. Holds her wrist, then lets go.

Walks home. YJ sees him out. JY sits in his empty restaurant, looking at the apron that SE sent him as a gift that he wears daily.

The next day the Ohn family get ready for their family meeting. They are so cute and excited. HSH is dressed up. Parents say that the nice clothes make him look handsome. Ri-Won compliments him by saying that his handsome face is making the clothes look nicer. (Awww.)

Se-Eun getting dressed. Gets a phone call.

Ohn parents still excited and cute. Jokes about how he stayed out all night and must be with Se-Eun.

JY meets SE at her building. JY tells SE that he cannot go to the family meeting.

SE: Because I love you, and I trust you, I thought I would be okay. But this is all very hard for me, too. I can't do this anymore. And Oppa, you shouldn't feel sorry or guilty. This relationship... I am the one letting it go. (turns and walks back in)

Back inside her home, she has blisters on her heels from the poorly fitting shoes. (ill-fitting shoes = ill-fitting marriage) Calls her Mom and tells her to go sightseeing in Seoul instead of the family meeting, and that she will explain later. Hangs up and cries.

Ohn family gets into the car to leave, but JY walks up to them. Soon, everyone is sitting inside the home and everyone looks dour and sad. Ri-Won tells HSH to take Da-In outside. Ohn Father finally loses it and starts hitting JY on his back, who sits there silently.

Soo-Jae is in Joo-Ran's room at the hospital packing her bag for her. She's with her doctor, who is telling her that she did a good job going through her second round of chemo, and that she will see her in 2 weeks.

Looks like they rented a vacation home. Soo-Jae tells her to do nothing and relax and he will do everything.

Young-Jae feeds a stray cat. She smiles. She's on a bus. She walks to look at her old rooftop home where she lived with Soo-Jae. She also goes to the street area where Soo-Jae used to have his coffee truck. She goes to the cafe where she met Joon-Young at the blind date and thinks about the past. She goes to the amusement park where she went with Joon-Young. She also goes to the hair salon where she used to work back then, and thinks about her first kiss with Joon-Young.

JY's restaurant is closed.

HSH is folding laundry with RW. HSH is worried that JY is not answering his phone. RW says that he doesn't understand JY either. HSH worries about Ohn parents.

Ohn father sits outside looking at the persimmon tree. Mom comes out to ask him to eat. They both look depressed.

JY sitting alone in his closed restaurant. Mom comes by. She says that she knew that parents cannot control their children, but that parents are still sensitive and often feel sad, like when kids forget parents' day holiday or something. And that is just how life is.

But she says that she knows he didn't do this because he doesn't respect them, so he needs to not worry about them and use all his effort to worry about himself. They both cry.

He says that he is suffering too, because he knows he shouldn't let this happen, but it happened anyway.

He says, "I keep trying to not think about it (YJ) and I tried so hard to bury it, but I just couldn't. It couldn't be helped. This is my choice, and my suffering is something that I must bear. But I am so sorry, to SE, to her parents, and to my family."

Mom says that they should both go out to eat. JY agrees.

JR and SJ by a fire. JR speaks about "before she was sick" which she realizes was just 1 month ago. She talks about how doing her hair and makeup took an hour every day. But now she doesn't need to do that anymore, and she has a lot more time, so she plans to take naps and read books and watch movies, just like he used to do. Then she repeats what he said to her before:

"Without hope, there is no despair. Without happiness, there isn't sadness. And without dating, there is no reason to get dumped. And I won't have to spend money on shampoo anymore."

SJ recalls that conversation, and how she encouraged him to not give up on love. He thought that it was weird that she said that, like, "What does she know?" But later that night as he thought about it, he burst into tears and thought that when incomprehensible suffering comes, someone who can comfort you also comes along.

He worries that she might be cold so maybe they should go inside. She says she enjoys watching the fire. He puts his coat on her. She says she is sorry. SJ says that all the women he knows always say "sorry" when they should just say "thanks" instead. Quotes the movie "Love Story" - "Love means never having to say you are sorry."

Back inside. He puts toothpaste on her toothbrush and says that it's organic, and she should only use and eat the very best things. He tells her to wash up and he will sleep on the sofa. She says, "Thank you" and he looks chuffed.

Ohn family decorating the Christmas tree. Da-In asks Grandpa to join them but he doesn't, and he still looks depressed and out of it.

Joon-Young taking the ferry by himself. He goes to that island where he went on that charity trip with YJ, and looks around the spots where they spent time together. He goes to visit that elderly couple and the man comes out to ask him if the two of them had promised each other to meet here. Young-Jae is there.

It turns out that the wife passed away. The man speaks and tells JY that the radio he fixed for them worked very well. But he didn't listen to it for a while because it reminded him of her. Other people told him that he must feel relieved that the lady passed away because she couldn't move around. But he says they don't know anything, and that without her, everything feels meaningless. Their children urged him to move out of this house and forget about her. He tried, but he ended up moving back in and feels much better.

He sleeps with her pillow next to him, and cleans up the place just like she is there. That the place reminds him of her and that is how he wants to live. He says it is best to just let himself miss her instead of trying to push those feelings away.

He thanks Young-Jae for cutting her hair and that she took a photo afterwards. He thanks her for leaving him with an image of her looking extra pretty. They all eat sweet potatoes together.

YJ and JY walk back the same path together. They reminisce about the past and talk about how time feels like it hasn't passed here. He complains about the cold and she gives him her gloves to wear. She says she knew him for 12 years and didn't know he was sensitive to the cold. He says they haven't spent winter together.

She says that she didn't know anything but concluded that they didn't fit. He says, yeah, we didn't know anything. It begins to snow.

He says it's fascinating that things don't work out the way you want. She says that is why important to keep making effort because what's ahead is important.

Looks like it's surgery day for Joo-Ran, and she's sitting in the bathroom looking scared. Comes out. Soo-Jae asks JR if they had met before he injured his legs, would she have liked him? And if she hadn't gotten sick, would he have found the courage? So their injury and illness is the universe conspiring them to get them together. And he says that her old crazy hair and goblin-like makeup was hiding her true beauty, and that with her short hair, he can finally see that even the back of her head is lovely.

A nurse comes by to take her to surgery. SJ goes with her to see her off. This is so cute and lovely. He says that he will wait right here for her, so be brave and do well. He cries after she goes in.

YJ seems to have moved back in with SJ. (yay) She looks around her old home and sits by the window.

JY returns to his restaurant and begins to tidy up.

SJ's movie people. They cast MJ and he signs he contract. SJ thanks MJ for breaking his prejudice.

JR in bed, reading a book. YJ comes to visit. The other employees from the salon come to visit. They say that they are sad that she didn't tell them that she is sick. She scolds them for leaving the shop empty. It's all super cute.

JR talks to YJ later alone. JR talks about how even all those smart doctors don't know exactly why these diseases happen, and how things will turn out. But the one thing they are always sure and right about is that being with others and spending time with people you love is a good thing. JR tells YJ she is sorry that she wasn't there for YJ, but that she is grateful to YJ for being there for her.

JY comes home and sees his father drinking alone. He bows in greeting, but Father ignores him. Still angry.

He makes ramyun for his father. (He puts American cheese in it. WHAT?)

Father puts down a soju cup for JY, silently inviting him to sit down. (Koreans and their love language of alcohol!) They each pour a cup for the other.

Father scoops some ramyun into a bowl for JY to eat. (Love language of alcohol and ramyun!) He grabs another bowl for himself. They eat. Mom comes out to see them eating together, smiles and goes back into her bedroom.

Spring. HSH is sending Da-In off to all-day kindergarten. Is sentimental about how fast she is growing up. HSH talks to RW about how he will have a lot more time to himself now, and plans to do more sports or cultural activities.

RW says she has a gift for him and hands him a pregnancy test. Also hands him a filled-out marriage registration form. Says that she will not do a wedding because wearing a wedding gown creeps her out. He says he really wants to wear a tuxedo, but he hugs her and says thank you.

Ohn mother coloring Father's hair. They talk about how when they first met, other people called them Jeremy Irons and Meg Ryan. It turns out that they're retired now, and they're going on a date. Cute.

JY and YJ dressing up.

It's SJ and JR's wedding. They look so cute. YJ goes up to make a speech. She is the officiant. It's a simple and very elegant statement.

JY is catering the wedding. MJ is singing a song for them.

YJ jokes that her brother wanted a "small wedding" but he hired a famous chef and a Hallyu star to sing, so it's not a small wedding at all. They both laugh.

They go for a walk afterwards. It turns out YJ bought the old salon where she used to work and enjoys a more easygoing life. JY is going to become a top chef at a famous restaurant in NY. He says he wants to be busy.

YJ (vo): As time passes, we are becoming adults. But as ever, we are clumsy and we make many mistakes. And that is why we comfort each other and embrace each other, as always.

JY (vo): The past sadness and hardships make us become mature, along with the happiness we felt together. Is that why we continue to walk together? So that I can become the me who is fulfilled?

You're amazing for doing this summary recap! Thank you. 

The open ending is smart.

However,  I know it's YJ and JY's story,  but SE and HC both played major, crucial roles in the growth of both JY and YJ, and that growth allowed JY and YJ to find their way back to each other maturely. 

It would have been really nice if the writers had also given us a glimpse into SE's and HC's hopefully happier days at the end,  too. I'm really disappointed that they didn't. It's like the writers discarded them completely at the end, once they served their purpose, just like YJ and JY did. 

This drama to me was a waste of time like I mention before the main characters went no where i their relationship it was the same thing again an again. 

Then towards the end they decided to go super full melodrama and do every clique for whatever reason

The third charm itself was really nothing at all and was not satisfying in anyway to me.

But it good others enjoyed it

In Ep.15, that scene we saw before where it looked like HC was taking the liquor bottle away from YJ. Now that I see the full scene, it turns out he was trying to take the photo away. And when she drops it, and HC finally loses it... for exactly 3 seconds.

HC, in general, is pretty incredible. He really wanted to make this impossibly tragic situation work. He was so patient, he comforted her, took care of her, and tried to help her. That would be so difficult for anyone to do, considering that he was also grieving the loss of Sori. Throughout the entire show, he's been... unreal, except in that one moment where he expresses his anger and frustration. To the very end, he remains a bland, handsome cipher.

Intellectually I can see why many women would choose Ho-Chul. But the show never convinced me why Young-Jae would. I guess the answer remains that no female would ever say no to this perfect-on-paper man. Ummm, okay.

When Joon-Young confessed that he lied to Se-Eun - I thought it was notable that he did not say to her, "She was drunk, bleeding and collapsed on the floor and couldn't get herself home, so I helped her inside and that was it." Which was the truth.

Instead, he simply says, "I was with Young-Jae," letting her imagine the worst.

He has one foot out the door already. She knows it, too. This marriage isn't happening.

--

Now that the show is finished:

I’m going to have to go with my previous assessment. When you throw a child’s death into the plot, it really dwarfs any other emotion and it really does grind everything into a halt. I was afraid that would happen, and I was hoping that it wouldn’t happen, but in the end, it is what it is. How can any other emotion compare to this tragedy?

You couldn’t have these two end up together in the traditional rom-com way, kissing and declaring love for each other, at least not at this juncture. After all that came before it, it would feel obscene and out of place.

And I'm finally beginning to question whether these writers are amateurs.

For example, those shoes Se-Eun bought are an obvious metaphor. Don't force your feet into ill-fitting shoes (marriage) or you will get blisters... (on your heart). Ooooh, let's hit people over the head with Screenwriting 101. And that scene in 15 where Joo-Ran calls Young-Jae and clearly states the themes of the show while Young-Jae says almost nothing? Yes, great way to work in some exposition without a lot of work.

I also did not like that we know YJ told JY about her child’s death, but we didn’t see the actual moment that it happened, and witness JY’s reaction to it.

Some things do not need to be explicitly shown - such as the scene where JY told his family that he’s not marrying SE. (It also appears that he told them exactly why, that he cannot forget YJ, and that was why his father was so angry.)

But that moment where JY finds out about YJ’s tragedy, I felt like this needed to be shown. And I felt that he should have a specific reaction to it, but we never saw that. I certainly don’t like the implication that he broke up with SE just a few hours later over this. I think he should have broken up with her for the simple reason that they shouldn’t marry each other, and this revelation about Sori should have come after that.

In the end, I feel that HC and SE were ill-served as characters. They were simply vessels, just plot elements that served to keep the main couple apart, but not fully realized human beings.

Ultimately, I feel like the show did have some profound things to say about life and death. That when tragedy happens, you have to let yourself just feel all the emotions and give yourself the time and space to mourn. That is what Young-Jae had to do, and that is what that old man on the island is doing.

Ho-Chul’s solution is for YJ to forget and move on, to stop staring at the photo of the three of them and stop longing for something that is lost forever. I don’t think HC’s way is wrong because people are different and that is his way of dealing with loss. But in the end, we don’t really know anything about him as a person. He remains just a gorgeous mannequin.

So those photos of JY and YJ hanging out together in Portugal never happened. The show’s very advertising posters are of a fantasy timeline? Or let’s just not waste the beautiful locale? I mean, this is just a straight-up bait-and-switch, right?

I still enjoyed it. Despite the many WTF moments, this still felt special. All the actors were amazing, and I'm glad I watched it. I will root for all these actors, including those who played HSH and Ri-Won.

The scene of the two walking together at the end made me feel like I was watching a French New Wave movie. No clear answers, just a whole lot of “Such Is Life…”

And then we get that long photo montage recap of the entire show, which jolted me right back into K-Drama Land, reminding me that I am watching a K-Drama and a whole lot of K-Netizens must be super-pissed right now, pounding their keyboards with rage. (haha)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOaBf8ZQpW9aBnuTjKKr8images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSefDII7nFvNt2Tk2SZbochqdefault.jpg

I actually wondered about this drama while being without electric for 3 days :scream:thanks to an ice storm.  Mainly because I wondered about YJ and what happened to her during that last phone call.  What kind of accident and how badly was she hurt?  I was relieved that it wasn't as bad as I had feared and thankful that JY went running to find out just as I had hoped.

Still that White Knight...

I'm thankful the JY continues to follow his own heart no matter the price he must pay or face.  I think the writer kept him true and honest to the very end in the way he dealt with his fiance who wanted to take the blame for the break up but being JY he wouldn't let that happen and told his family the truth that he was the one.

Can't help who is in his heart or that he still feels love...

I guess I loved the scene of them sitting on the bench and YJ sharing about her past pain and in allowing him to see her weak and broken and lost.  Not just in sharing her story but in them sharing a moment together his tears mixed with hers and for once they were on the same page no holding back or covering up just one speaking & one listening.  No misunderstandings just feelings and willingness to show they care no matter what they have endured bad, good, happy or sad.  They still felt that comfort and love for one another that couldn't be denied and no matter how hard they tried couldn't be covered up.

Love doesn't always have to make sense sometimes it just is what it is.

Whether grabbing ones arm or letting go it doesn't mean the heart can do the same...

Whether the bond was as simple as friendship or as complex as two people who just couldn't leg go of not only their memories but of the understanding that no matter what the future held somehow they seem to always find their way back to one another.  In JY's case the realization that one should never settle for anything less than what their hearts already know and have felt is possible...

Personally I am not a fan of open endings and I would much rather have seen them at least holding hands while waking down that path to the future.  But my fluffy heart wants to believe that there is still some healing and growing they each need to find and do.  If fate has anything to say about it I would say not even New York is to far for love to reach when it comes to cupid and the heart.

Not to mention I think he will know where to find her and her him...

Yet if it were to go the other way I want to believe that when two people have a history and shared as much as they have.  Been there for each other in good and bad times.  Grown in so many ways and while seeing YJ take off her gloves in being more aware of JY but even more in taking care of him and seeing his need.  For they shared pain and fears as well as their happiness and successes. 

That the journey in itself and the fact that this time they left on good terms with smiles instead of brokenness and tears.

Says that even if there timing was a bit off they had some amazing moments when it was really on.

All those firsts they experienced with one another.

Not even time or fate can erase what's already been done and written upon

their hearts.

For they themselves and this story proved that love doesn't end.

When two people lose sight of one another.

No matter the distance or the years...

:heart:

22 hours ago, lu09 said:

Watched with subs. All I can say is what a mess:(. YJ is trying to move on slowly with her life while JY's marriage is going down the hill due to his feelings. And from the preview, it seems like he made a choice that will leave SE brokenhearted.

Poor HC tried his best to console YJ while keeping his grief to himself because he had to be the bigger person for both of them. But due to one sentence he said sent his wife to commit suicide. And that hospital scene, even though what YJ said made sense, still hearing that got to hurt:tears:. Now I believe it wasn't a coincidence that they ended up at JY restaurant. All I can say is he tried his best this time for real and he should not have regrets like he did on his first marriage. 

Poor SE, she is the old version of JY and history told us this will end badly. I felt sad when she said her suspicious were what caused JY to lie to her. Relationships don't work like that. Hope she has the courage to break up with JY herself because she knows herself that this is the end. 

Actually, there are hints that YJ was contemplating suicide before HC said what he did. But, yes, he's devastated for having said it. But it actually finally makes YJ see that he,  too, is in terrible pain and grief. 

8 hours ago, jeijei said:

What happened to SE? Well, she and HC hit it off and had a very healthy relationship.

Now THAT would have been cool. :D

Archived