Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2018] The Third Charm, 제3의 매력

@chickfactor .. Thank you so much for your recap. I now knew what was going on to my JY and YJ last night (after kept refreshing the page like crazy lol). 

Seem not much telling on back stories about YJ marriage (at least as much as I want to know and dying to know that I want the less 3 episodes to all come tomorrow .. ha). Watching the story gave cancer to JR, first I thought what the heck .. again? Are there too much cancer in Kdrama land..almost every dramas...and in ep13 .. and to JR, suddenly? .. for what?

Then, I thought to myself that probably the writer would like to point out that everything can happen .. poping out of nowhere when you are not expecting (am I sacrastic?). But when looking at YJ brother during JR bursting out at him, he definitely tried to hide his emotion. He was very much effected by her words and action. Then I realize that YJ and her brother (SJ, right) are the same. They appear lively, happy, strong/confident. But actually they are scare .. scare to really love someone. It seem to me that they are scare that the ones they love would left them (like their parents, girlfriend, daughter). For them, it might be less hurtful to not love or walk away first.

I will watch the whole thing when the sub came out to get my real feel (as well as keep refreshing this thread to read your cooments which are all insighted). I will wish for tonight and next Thursday to come fast :) & I hope for my JY YJ to be together happily at the end.

• Like 12

Hi everyone, found time to watch Friday's episode. 

What is it with this drama writer, I keep tearing up and crying at every plot development.

JR having operation and crying in the car made me cry tears of sadness for her. I think every woman can understand. 

I'm not a fan of JY's fiance. 

She must have seen a photo of JY and YJ, maybe it's the one he tore up and thrown into the bin in an earlier episode. There was another photo that he actually taped up in his room too. Maybe he kept it and slipped it into his achievements file.

I can understand YJ's depression and actually I hope she continues to be depressed until she snaps out of it. No one can force her, she has to go through it and come out of it herself.

I think after having a meal with her and cooking her favourite dish, YJ found herself again. I hope she gets to work passionately again. 

From the preview I saw that the fiance's family has lots of opinions about JY. I hope the relationship ends because I don't think that is the ultimate happiness for JY. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, tali58 said:

I have two kids,  and I can't even imagine the pain of losing one of them.  

Esom is doing an amazing job showing the unimaginable pain YJ is in. 

2 hours ago, tali58 said:

It pretty much showed that HC, the doctor, did everything he could to help YJ with the pain. He put his own aside to be there for her. He knew he lost everything - his child,  his wife - but he was there for YJ, even accompanied her back to her family in Korea, and helped her get settled in. But, ultimately, a person has to deal with such pain on his/ her own to be able to go forward. YJ has to find her own strength,  and the doctor also needs to go through his own grieving process. Sadly,  at the point of their final goodbye after the dinner, there wasn't anything else he could do to help her. There was even a hint that he thought that maybe JY could. 

I hope I did not come across as crass by saying that he did not do anything for her.  He did and this is something no one knows how to take care of.  He lost his child too, and he needs to grieve.  It would have been better if they grieved together.  But they could not - because the connection between them was Sori.  They should have stayed together and after a while they could have divorced.  But that might not be possible for some of them.  The presence of that other person also brings about pain and suffering.  It is something one cannot have a cookie cutter recipe for it.  Every individual case is different.  We can certainly say that YJ is going through depression, seeing her child killed that way (even though they did not show it) and every time she probably closes her eyes, she can see it like a movie that keeps playing without a pause button.  Only time heals such disasters in life.  

• Like 6

Ep. 14 Text Preview - Translated:

준영은 세은(김윤혜 분)과의 결혼 승낙을 받기 위해 통영으로 향한다. 영재만을 향해 있던 스물일곱의 준영처럼 세은은 마냥 설레는데. 설렘도 잠시, 준영과 세은은 4년 만에 처음으로 다투게 된다. 한편, 영재(이솜 분)의 진정한 홀로서기를 응원하는 준영(서강준 분)과 그 마음을 십분 이해한 영재는 그 길로 뒤돌아보지 않고 집으로 향하는데.

Joon-Young goes to Tong-Young with Se-Eun to receive permission for their marriage (from her family). Se-Eun's heart flutters endlessly, just like 27-year-old Joon-Young's feelings towards Young-Jae. But that fluttering only lasts so long, and Joon-Young and Se-Eun fight for the first time in 4 years.

Young-jae has come to fully understand Joon-Young's sincere cheering for her to become strong on her own, so she doesn't look back and heads home.

--

My thoughts about 13:

Wow. Well, the broad strokes of what happened were expected. Seeing it happen was... something else.

I was definitely wrong that the little girl was too old to be Young-Jae's daughter. I guess I was in deep denial.

It turns out she was born in 2015. (JY and YJ broke up in 2013.) Definitely Ho-Chul's daughter.

Ah, so sad... I cannot imagine such pain. I've heard that many married couples cannot stay together after a tragedy like this because seeing each other reminds you constantly what happened. And imagine the guilt that Young-Jae feels. It would have been great if Young-Jae and Ho-Chul could stay together to heal each other, but I guess they could not.

I feel like romance isn't even on the table. Young-Jae is probably in pain every moment that she is awake. Not even a year has passed since the tragedy. It will take her a while to feel even halfway normal again.

I do find it very hard to believe that Ho-Chul did not know that Joon-Young was the chef of that restaurant. A reservation-only restaurant with only one table, and you don't know who the chef is? I think Ho-Chul brought Young-Jae there on purpose. A final selfless act of love for his wife?

I would feel okay if this ends with friendship. These two have really been through so much, and if Joon-Young helps Young-Jae recover even just a little bit, with just human-to-human love, not romantic love - it will feel like a triumph.

I think the show has made it clear that Se-Eun is not the one. These two still barely know each other. I hope before they marry, they figure that out. Se-Eun will learn and grow and probably end up with that heartbroken cop in the cubicle next door. (Because... K-drama!)

Soo-Jae, make it up to Joo-Ran!

Joo-Ran, please recover.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Thought i'll drop a last note. I truly loved all the OSTs in this drama. Have them on replay mode in my playlist too. But, i really hate how the drama is going, in these final few eps. Guess im going to drop this drama from ep 13 onwards. I think Esom is a good actress, unfortunately YJ as a character hit all the wrong notes for me. I understand losing a child is painful, but i dont think getting ur ex-bf to heal the pain is right. It feels kinda selfish. Sorry not sorry, i just cant like YJ or support her totally. JY is a nice guy. But sorry, i also cant like how he's a pushover for YJ. The story/characters doesnt make sense to me, so i cant continue watching, or i'll end up super frustrated. I dont blame any of the actors though.. and i think they all acted their part really well. I put 100% blame on the writer. The story and characters are just too messed up for me to root for any of them and its all just a big disappointing drama. Loved the OSTs though. To all, have fun til the end! Not long to go now.. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just came to add a little something I was thinking about while watching ep 13 but didn't notice until now. It's a little strange that JY didn't mention YJ is his ex to his fiance. I can understand why, but I feel sad about that. 

The real JY would have shared it... 

As far as I've watched the drama, it's very realistic and close to real life. It's messy and sometimes illogical but everyone has their own reasons for choosing their actions, even if it is not easily understandable to others. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 122am said:

Just came to add a little something I was thinking about while watching ep 13 but didn't notice until now. It's a little strange that JY didn't mention YJ is his ex to his fiance. I can understand why, but I feel sad about that. 

The real JY would have shared it... 

As far as I've watched the drama, it's very realistic and close to real life. It's messy and sometimes illogical but everyone has their own reasons for choosing their actions, even if it is not easily understandable to others. 

Pretty sure his fiance knows YJ is his ex. Didn't she see the photoshoot pictures in the magazine that time? All the other cops around him saw them. 

• Like 6

20 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Joo-Ran goes to see a doctor. Exam results seems like she has a cancerous tumor. (NOOOOO!) Back in her car, she calls YJ, but hangs up and calls Soo-Jae. He says to come to eat with her, but sounds busy.

Later, she sits there while he's on the phone arguing with CEO about the casting of his next movie. JR scolds him for rejecting the idol actor, and calls him a snob. Then she complains that he is selfish and only thinks about his own problems and never thinks about her. He says that all she does is get dumped by her blind dates and how is that a big deal? (Ouch.) She leaves tells him that he is selfish and stuck-up. Goes to her car and breaks down crying.

[End of Part 1]

JR is spot on about SJ.  He is totally self-centred.  I remember after JY broke up with YJ and SJ called him up to thank him for helping him proof read his script for the competition.  He didn't even try to console JY but went on about himself.  

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, vladlola06 said:

Ep 14... I had very strongly thought about this possibility, but I didn't think that writers would dare ... :unsure:

What happened? 

• Like 1

Ep. 14 - recap

Young-Jae comes home, looks at the Thermos that Joon-Young gave her, leaves it on the counter.

Joon-Young is dressed up, ready to go to Se-Eun's home. His parents are fussing over him. Very cute and sweet. Se-Eun comes and they leave. Joon-Young is driving. He says he's nervous and thinks that her family will scold him for letting her suffer for too long. She says that her father is not scary, but he is very cute instead.

Joo-Ran's salon. The idol-actor Oh Min-Joon (known as MJ) getting his hair done is the one who wanted to be in Soo-Jae's movie. He complains that Soo-Jae doesn't like him. Joo-Ran says, "Yes, that blind and dumb writer."

Auditions for the movie. Bunch of young actors. One of them turns out to be MJ. He's auditioning without telling his managers. We don't see it, but afterwards, he has coffee with Soo-Jae, and SJ tells him that he was good. MJ tells SJ that he has a complex and feels pressure about being an idol, thanks for watching his audition and it's fine if he doesn't get the role, but feels good about having tried everything he could.

JY and SE arrive at her family home. Mom, Dad, two brothers. Mom and SE are in the kitchen, JY sits with the men. Photos show that her father and her brothers were all in the military. Eating.

One bro: How can you feed your wife with only one table at the restaurant?

Mom: He's a chef, he will obviously feed her well.

Other bro: And why did you quit being a detective? You had the highest test scores.

JY: It didn't fit my aptitude and I enjoy cooking.

Bro: So if cooking stops fitting your aptitude, you'll just quit again?

Father puts his spoon down and says: "bring alcohol."

Mother brings him huge cups and soju. He pours a huge cup for JY. JY pours one for him. Father tells him to drink it all at once. JY does. When they leave, Mother gives him honey bread, the men say nothing.

After they leave, they talk about JY and it turns out that they all liked him even though they gave him a hard time. They thought he might be a stuck-up Seoul guy but he wasn't. Mom says that his personality is manly, even if his appearance isn't. She says he is pretty.

In the car:

JY is worried that they didn't like him, except for Mom. Dad especially did not like him, JY thinks. SE says, "trust me, that's my dad's happy face."

Young-Jae's place. She eats the soup that JY made for her.

JY hanging out with old detective team members. Lots of hugs. Cute. They end up at a restaurant owned by the bad guy (Gabuchi?) they were all working to catch. He's married to the woman that he loved back then. One of the guys says it took 5 years for them to finally have that team gathering.

The guy (who had the date with Joo-Ran) is married and talks to his wife on the phone. Hangs up and says how happy he is and how much he loves his wife. Gabuchi is a deacon at his local church. I think they all go to the same church now? Talks about his fellow criminals betraying him, but he doesn't care because his wife is his everything. JY tells them that he's getting married to Officer Min, who was the hostage when they tried to get Gabuchi. Gabuchi says that he's sorry for grabbing her back then.

Married officer says that he let Officer Min go back then, so JY must make her happy. The other young guy says he's the only one who is alone. They all toast to JY's wedding.

YJ at her apartment. She washed the Thermos. Gets dressed, puts socks on. Grocery shopping. Buys fresh food instead of just instant. She's buying ingredients for the spicy squid that JY taught her to make. Back at her home, cooking just like how JY taught her. She eats.

Gets a phone call. We don't know who. Turns out it's SE. They meet in a cafe.

YJ: Why did you want to see me?

SE: I wanted to apologize for my mistake.

YJ: It's okay.

SE: I also had some things to talk about with you. Shall we order?

YJ: Sure.

JY at his restaurant, setting the table.

Looks like SE told YJ about confessing to JY at the airport. YJ tells her that SE is braver than she looks, and that to win someone's heart, you need courage like that. YJ tells SE that she is cool.

SE asks YJ if she is interesting in dating anyone. YJ doesn't answer. SE offers to introduce her to someone, that he is a nice guy, suits her well... but YJ still says nothing. SE apologizes.

YJ says, "If it will make you feel better, please introduce him to me." (WOW)

YJ leaves. SE looks sad.

JY gets a call from SE's dad who tells him JY passed the test to become his son-in-law, and that he should marry her before the end of the year.

SE thinks back to her conversation with YJ, is really embarrassed that YJ saw through her so easily. JY calls to tell SE that her father gave his permission and they talk about setting the date for the family meeting soon, says goodnight.

Soo-Jae plays basketball by himself and thinks back to MJ and Joo-Ran. MJ talked about how prejudices against being a idol is tough for him. Joo-Ran says, "You think that everyone else is shallow and you're the only deep one. No, you're so wrapped up in your prejudices, so what do you know? You don't know how to give your heart or accept someone's heart, you cowardly bastard."

Joo-Ran is standing in front of her closet. Packed a big bag. Soo-Jae calls and she ignores it. He thinks about calling Young-Jae, but ends up not dialing.

JY closes his restaurant and SJ shows up on his motorcycle. They have a drink together and JY talks about seeing SJ's movies abroad and how happy he was to hear about SJ's success. SJ calls JY his #3 loyal vassal and wanted to buy him a drink in thanks.

[End of Part 1]

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

hqdefault.jpg

Watching YJ the past couple of episodes has allowed us to see her really struggling and even weak in body, mind and soul and when thinking back it's no wonder.  Her whole life has been having to overcome one loss after another.  She lost her parents then her grandmother.  She had to endure the loss of her brothers legs and the loss of not having JY around her too. Her child which is a loss so great there are no words and a broken marriage on top of all of that.  Now when she is already on her knees with so little of herself left.  She finds out her best friend has cancer and is the one who cuts the hair of her closest friend in that chair.  Having to face time and time again the pain of losing, loss and even regret.  How much suffering can one endure when one feels as if there is nothing left...

She makes a call to the last person she knows she should call and yet the only person she can.... 

trans:  All credit to ( yurielle zai utube ) 
Ouside, Joon is still sitting and drinking his beer. But then he gets a call. It is an unknown number. He answers it and is greeted by Yong-jae’s voice.

YJ – Joon-young, it is Young-jae….I wanted to call someone. But I had no one to call. He lets out a deep breath as he listens.

YJ – ….*breathing*…all the people I love….are all sick….are all leaving me.

JY – Young-jae, we shouldn’t…

YJ – I know….I know, I know….I am also leaving….I am leaving….*glasses crash* …..(Miss! Miss! Is she injured? Miss!)….

JY – Young-jae!

When it rains it pours and my heart is showered at the moment in tears...:bawling:

[Part 2]

JY asks if anything is going on with SJ. SJ says no, just wanted to drink with you.

SJ asks if anything is going on with JY? He says that he will marry soon. SJ says that it's about time, and congratulations.

SJ talks (at length) about how unlikely fated connections are, and that he prays for SJ's happiness.

SJ is paying for their drinks and food and holds out his credit card. The shop person says their machine is broken. JY pays in cash. SJ protests, but JY is happy to pay. Also pays for SJ to get a ride home from a proxy driver. SJ says: "Instead of sorry, I will say thanks." JY smiles watching him go.

Ohn parents making their invitation list for the wedding. They complain that JY works alone and doesn't even have co-workers to invite. Then they grumble about Ri-Won not marrying.

Ri-Won is dressed and says she has to go out of town for work. Sang-Hyun is disappointed because they were going to go outlet shopping. RW says she's going on the trip with Deputy Uhm (that guy who hit on her at the bar). Then she asks if SH is perturbed. He says yes. She matter-of-factly tells him that if she plans to break up with him, she will definitely discuss it with him first, so there probably won't be discord. So he shouldn't be bothered. Gives him a peck on the mouth before leaving. SH looks... not happy.

Officer Go is dressed up to go out on a blind date that SE set him up with.

JY cooking at his restaurant. SE and her fellow female officer come in.

Young-Jae shows up for her blind date with Officer Go. She's polite.

Female officer loves JY's food. Gets call from Officer Go. His date with YJ ended very fast. YJ excused herself and left early, but paid for their meal.

Female officer mentions that the blind date was a divorcee, so JY is quietly shocked to find out that SE is the one who set up a blind date with Officer Go and Young-Jae.

Female officer leaves.

JY looks angry. SE tells him that the food was really good and helps him clean up. JY angrily tells her to stay seated and he will clean up himself.

YJ comes to see Joo-Ran at her empty, dark salon. Says, "I felt bad for him, but I just couldn't do it. (blind date) Why are all the lights off?"

SE and JY sitting in traffic, in the car together. SE says female officer enjoyed the meal a lot.

JY: Why did you set up a blind date for Young-Jae? Just what are you thinking? (angry)

SE: What about you, Oppa? Why didn't you tell me that you dated Young-Jae? Do you know that this is the first time in 4 years that you got mad at me? And the reason is because of Young-Jae?

JY: I'm sorry that I made you concerned. It won't happen again. I will get off here. Traffic looks bad, you should turn around and go another way, drive safely. (gets out of car)

Back at salon.

Joo-Ran: Do you remember that? We went on a trip to Hong Kong and said that this would look good in our shop? (an antique radio) They both reminisce about how hard they worked to bring that back to Korea.

JR talks about her shop and how so much laughter and crying happened here, and how this shop was her husband and child. Then tells YJ that (employee) Noori will take over for a while.

YJ asks JR what is going on? JR tells her that she has cancer.

Hospital flashback. Dr. tells her that it's stage 3 cancer, surgery is not possible now, but she will get chemo to shrink tumor. Surgery will remove her uterus and pelvic lymph nodes. Her 5-year prognosis is not high. Even if JR is cured, pregnancy will be impossible.

JR tells her that she is very angry and scared. Talks about seeing that patient in the bathroom at the hospital and says she thought first about Lee Soo-Jae, and how he must have suffered when he lost his legs, and feels regret about acting like she knew everything when she tried to comfort him, and how he smiled for her anyway.

JR requests YJ to cut her hair, because she doesn't want to show anyone or tell anyone.

YJ cuts her hair short.

YJ tucks JR into bed and leaves. Walks home. Remembers what So-Ri said about how she wanted to eat a lot of rice and become the bright moon. YJ asked why, and So-Ri said she wanted to become the moon because the moon is everywhere. YJ breaks down crying.

JY grabs a beer at a 7-eleven and sits outside drinking it.

SE parks her car. Finds JY's agenda, where he neatly recorded all his activities. There is a lot with her, like when and what she ate with him, etc. She's happy to see that.

JY gets a call from an unknown number. It's Young-Jae. She says, "I wanted to call someone, but I have no one to call." He says nothing.

YJ - Everyone I love are all sick, and they are all leaving me.

JY - Young-Jae, we shouldn't (contact each other...)

YJ - I know, I'm going. I'm going...

You hear noise, and you hear other people in the background. It sounds like she collapsed?

JY frantically calls YJ's name.

[End]

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

Whatever others might feel and I still love JY most. I do like Ho Chul and can feel his genuine love for YJ and their daughter. He is also suffering a bad fate at the hands of the writers. I would have liked to see their backstory, especially how he finally won YJ's heart. Third charm is really not charming at all. Feels like they spent it all on the first and second charm part. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

Hello. Exccuse me my ignorance, because I have not watched several episodes yet, but JY doesn't know about the death of YJ's daughter? He doesn't know why YJ has that deep sadness? Thanks.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, angelwingssf said:

I hope I did not come across as crass by saying that he did not do anything for her.  He did and this is something no one knows how to take care of.  He lost his child too, and he needs to grieve.  It would have been better if they grieved together.  But they could not - because the connection between them was Sori.  They should have stayed together and after a while they could have divorced.  But that might not be possible for some of them.  The presence of that other person also brings about pain and suffering.  It is something one cannot have a cookie cutter recipe for it.  Every individual case is different.  We can certainly say that YJ is going through depression, seeing her child killed that way (even though they did not show it) and every time she probably closes her eyes, she can see it like a movie that keeps playing without a pause button.  Only time heals such disasters in life.  

I agree. They couldn't grieve together, though,  not because Sori was their only connection,  but because YJ was so deep inside her pain that she didn't see his. He was there for her,  holding his own back so he could support her, but she wasn't there for him.  There's no question that she's, understandably,  in deep depression, but it's in the same pattern of her previous behavior, where she closes off those who love her, and she sees only her own feelings, but not theirs,  or theirs aren't as important as her own. She doesn't intentionally only take but doesn't give. It just that it doesn't cross her mind to be there for others, except for her brother. She's so deeply inside her own pain that her best friend being diagnosed with cancer becomes her own additional pain,  instead of her friend's. This is her chance to be there for a loyal, best friend who has always been there for her and who really now needs her.  Instead, she is thinking of committing suicide. Her real growth will come if/ when she learns to feel empathy for others. Starting to empathize will also pull her out of her depression and work through her grief. 

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, kdramasage said:

Whatever others might feel and I still love JY most. I do like Ho Chul and can feel his genuine love for YJ and their daughter. He is also suffering a bad fate at the hands of the writers. I would have liked to see their backstory, especially how he finally won YJ's heart. Third charm is really not charming at all. Feels like they spent it all on the first and second charm part. 

28 minutes ago, kdramasage said:

***"He is also suffering a bad fate at the hands of the writers." ***

Seriously the BEST, truest comment in the entire discussion of this drama!!! :D Thank you!!!!

• Like 6

16 hours ago, blackberrypie said:

Thought i'll drop a last note. I truly loved all the OSTs in this drama. Have them on replay mode in my playlist too. But, i really hate how the drama is going, in these final few eps. Guess im going to drop this drama from ep 13 onwards. I think Esom is a good actress, unfortunately YJ as a character hit all the wrong notes for me. I understand losing a child is painful, but i dont think getting ur ex-bf to heal the pain is right. It feels kinda selfish. Sorry not sorry, i just cant like YJ or support her totally. JY is a nice guy. But sorry, i also cant like how he's a pushover for YJ. The story/characters doesnt make sense to me, so i cant continue watching, or i'll end up super frustrated. I dont blame any of the actors though.. and i think they all acted their part really well. I put 100% blame on the writer. The story and characters are just too messed up for me to root for any of them and its all just a big disappointing drama. Loved the OSTs though. To all, have fun til the end! Not long to go now.. 

Actually,  even the OST failed to be complete. How do you have a super popular musical actor of Min Woo-Hyuk's caliber, both in popularity and singing ability, in a significant role in the drama and not have him sing any songs on the OST?  Especially weird since he's so famous for his amazing story-telling ability through his singing. Yet, not even one song by him?!  

• Like 6