[Drama 2018] The Third Charm, 제3의 매력

0ly40

On 10/22/2018 at 2:57 AM, bedifferent said:

Great post.  I love reading it. I agree that Joon-Young puts Young-Jae on a pedestal ever since their first meeting.  It stemmed from his insecurities and lack of confidence as an awkward youth.  She was his superwoman, swooping in to save the helpless, not unlike a young boy fantasizing about a comic book superhero.  I don't think he ever thought of himself as her equal as she always seems cool, confident with nah a thought of insecurities.  After all, she didn't hesitate to fight the most popular girl on campus on her turf.  I think part of the fault for this rose-colored viewpoint is that Young-Jae rarely allows him to see her vulnerability.  Part is also Young-Jae seeing the same in his parents, where his father is submissive to his mom.  When JY/YJ argue, we can hear in his voiceover how hard he wills himself to take her position.  Even if he is in the wrong, I think his voiceover should not have been so pro-Young-Jae.  I miss hearing him taking a different stand than hers and stops being on the defensive.  I think that is important to balance out the relationship.

This sequence where Young-Jae consoles his father highlights the unusual matriarchal flavor of the On family where both mother and sister are emotionally expressive while the men internalize their feelings.  His mom obviously is the boss at work and at home.  Makes me wonder if the scriptwriter is a low-key feminist!  :D Joon-Young takes after his dad's sensitive and perfectionist genes, sharing more than just their taste in ramyun.  Down to the pettiness as well.  Yet, I hope Joon-Young realizes that his opinions matter in a relationship. Please don't sacrifice and stifle his voice for love, especially with a strong woman like Young-Jae.  I would be sad if he is penalized for his sensitivities and insecurities.  I want Joon-Young to blossom in term of confidence before their third meeting.

Love despite. I love that phrase.  Hope I can borrow it for personal use!

What do you think of Sang-Hyun and RiWon's scenes in episode 8?  Any thought?

Yes, yes, Soo-Jae is my favorite second lead here.  Every little daily thing we take for granted is a monumental task for him and he doesn't see his effort as something to celebrate but as something he can't fail.  There's humility in the life he lives, I don't see frustration.  What an attitude.  It's heartbreakingly brave, the kind of life he leads, whereas Joo Ran is a little shallow for me at the moment about her quest to get a boyfriend. I can't see for the life of me how these two will get together at this point.  I love how he wrote Joon-Young's personality into his fictional cop character.  He is such a sweet and perceptive soul. 

Hiya, I am glad we all are here to see this drama through. ^^ IMO, Joon-Young lack of awareness is supposed to show Young-Jae how things that started out innocently can escalate into something more when it comes to feelings.  For Young-Jae, she was firm in the beginning to maintain a platonic relationship with Ho-Chul, not understanding why her BF would feel jealousy.  I don't think she ever understood why Ho-Chul was not to be trusted.  Aside from gaining this perspective, there's the overdue lack of gratitude and appreciation for Joon-Young's loyalty or even characters.  He is a kind person who treats everyone thoughtfully and respectfully.  Whereas Joon-Young is always public about his love for her, she finally knows it's important to show her love as well.  I'm glad she did with the station visit and we will also see how she reacts in the next episode, aside from jealousy.  

For Joon-Young, I hope to see him be more appreciated of the positive qualities that make him JY.  Stop seeing it as a character weakness that makes him inferior to his GF.  Maybe someday, he will also puts RiWon in her place.

Let's post this for our second lead LOL.  BTW, Don't be a stranger, come by or I will tag you when the tide has turned in their relationship :lol:

Reveal hidden contents

That's a funny interview from a while ago, and it's easy to see he's still a bit shy but happy about being interviewed.  He's also hilariously kind of uncomfortable when the interviewer gushes over him and his looks. He's so funny at the end, calling himself "cheesy."

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ep.9 Video Preview translated:

Young-Jae: I saw Ho-Chul a little while ago.

Joon-Young: I don't suspect you anymore, or feel jealousy. It's not as if I'm really a narrow-minded, petty person, right?

Young-Jae: Where are you?

Joon-Young: Stay there, I'll be right there. (rushing into a cab)

Young-Jae: You hate me, don't you?

Joon-Young: No, because I like you like crazy. (They embrace.)

(YJ cuts elderly lady's hair.)

Joon-Young: I want to live in a place like this, taking walks with you like this. I will become a chief of a small police station, and you can work in a small beauty shop and cut elderly people's hair. As long as I am with you, that's all I need.

--

Okay, interesting.

So this is DOOM. Now I see it.

Look at Young-Jae's face after Joon-Young makes that last comment. Her face says, "Uh... no."

Let's recall one of their first conversations at the salon while Joon-Young was getting his hair permed. They said that he worked and studied hard, but didn't have ambition. She had ambition to succeed, but at that time, didn't know how to get there. So she had goals, but no method. And he was all method, but no goals.

So this is going to be their problem. Not other people, not Cute Doctor, not Pretty Policewoman. Their relationship was always stronger than that. But this issue is a biggie.

Young-Jae has bigger dreams for herself than to just work at a neighborhood salon. Joon-Young studies hard, but he also quits college to become a detective just because of one comment that Young-Jae made. He works hard and becomes successful at anything he chooses to do, but he is also very easily influenced, and doesn't have a clear vision of what he wants.

Of course, Joon-Young's comment could just be something he is saying because he's enjoying the mood, and not serious. It's not as if he's insisting that they immediately move to out of the city and become country-folk.

But this could be when Young-Jae realizes that their future goals are just not the same. Or maybe she's freaked out because he's basically talking about growing old together and she's not quite there yet.

Thanks @chickfactor for all the translations....I agree with this 

11 hours ago, chickfactor said:

But this could be when Young-Jae realizes that their future goals are just not the same. Or maybe she's freaked out because he's basically talking about growing old together and she's not quite there yet.

In a recent vid uploaded by JTBC...that seem really clear at the end. It was a sweet scene of them walking but yet the vid panned to her expression  as they held hands in the last 30 s . They are  indeed at different stations in life .

In fact at the beginning of this video when JY was taking a photo of her and looking at how beautiful she was...there was this change in expression ..it is  as if his insecurities were creeping up on him again and that she was too good for him, or that he would be holding her back...

On 10/20/2018 at 3:31 AM, triplem said:

This drama has a way of moving me everytime @USAFarmgirl . Be it the petty fights they have or the sweet moments, I feel like I am going through the motions of a relationship myself. I can understand why not everyone would appreciate this drama but I am glad that it sticks to its guns and continues to give us protagonists that are flawed and relatable. 

Last night's episode continued where we left of last week with both YJ and JY finally breaking the cold war they were having. While I wish they had sorted this out long before YJ's birthday, this was a most necessary fight. People often think that arguments and conflicts are bad for a relationship, but I think they are sometimes needed in order for people to be transparent with how they feel. Even though the duo did not make up immediately, it was clear they both needed to hear each other's perspective - imagine seeing me have dinner with another girl...imagine me not calling you on your birthday. I liked that she admitted that she was acting out of anger by having dinner with doc. I liked that he told her he does trust her,  but it was her birthday...so what could be the problem Joon Young ah? He should have called her ...it was clear he regretted it. It's funny how as an outsider looking in , these conflicts seem so trivial but when you are in the relationship , these things can make or break a relationship. 

This drama has a way of making us question what makes a good foundation and basis for a relationship to work or last. The introduction of the lady cop was meant to cast doubts over whether two people who are such complete opposites like YJ and JY can go the distance. On paper it would seem that Min Se Eun would suit someone like JY - she's so much like him and everything that YJ is not.  .  She's a neat freak, has similar tastes etc....might seem like a match made in heaven.  But then do we go date or marry a person just because they are so similar to us? 

I think the drama answered that question when we hear YJ's voice over at the end. She said she was a nobody or nothing. But when she was with JY she felt special. To me that was the most important ingredient for any relationship to work - that we cherish the person we love and they do so in return as well. Even if the person is so different from you, it does not mean it's doomed if both parties give equal effort . Which is why I agree with you @dramaninja, the impending break-up , apart from JY's insecurities and jealousy,  will likely  be because YJ failed to give as much as she received from JY.

@triplem truly enjoyed your analysis here because I agree 100% with everything you said especially the highlighted portions above (sorry for cutting out some portions of your post). Although the reasons behind their fight is petty, it was necessary. It allowed them to get to know each other better - you can see YJ eventually understood where JY was coming from when she turned down the doctor's invitation and said "I also don't want to do anything that might upset JY.." Although she doesn't have feelings for the doctor, she understood that her actions and how she responded to said doctor has an effect on JY and she needed to be mindful of that. I also liked the JY realized that YJ didn't do anything wrong and that he was in fact being petty but he needed time to get over it. Personally, there have been many times in my life where I knew I was upset because of my own pettiness and stubbornness but I just need some space and time to sort it out myself. So this was totally relatable to me and I could understand where JY was coming from. Let's also not forget that this is their first real relationship so everything they are going through is new to them and that means there's a lot to learn - what makes the other happy, what upsets them, how to best communicate with each other, how to handle the other person when he/she is upset, etc. 

Sometimes the best way to get to know a person is through a fight. It brings out the best and worst in us.

That sentiment that YJ kept repeating to herself, "I am nothing but I feel special with JY" is so so important. And I really can't say how much I love this drama for it. I love that YJ is aware of the differences between her and JY and that on paper, they aren't compatible and probably wouldn't work. BUT she feels special, she feels loved and she is happy all because of JY. And that is important in a relationship, more important than having the same personality or interests.

I thought that scene where YJ's boss/friend asks her what she's done for JY lately and all she could say was "love" was also important because we can see JY putting in all the effort at this point and we haven't seen YJ reciprocate. 

At the end of episode 7, when YJ asks herself, "why wasn't I able to express my gratitude more?" - might be a clue to one of the reasons behind their future breakup. It's one thing to feel grateful but it's totally another to show it and to let the other person know how much you treasure and appreciate them. While this is JY's strength - showing the person he loves how much she means to him, this is YJ's weakness. She thinks it, she feels it, but she doesn't go out of her way to show it. However, YJ's strength lies in her ability to face challenges head on. She doesn't shy away from expressing her opinion and is all for hashing it out with JY to get to the bottom of the problem. Meanwhile, this is JY's weakness. He tends to internalize and chooses to avoid the problem by sulking instead of discussing it properly with YJ. 

I'm also really liking the introduction of the female cop who is very similar to JY. I like that the drama is exploring all these questions - do people who are similar make for a better relationship? can two vastly different people have a happy relationship? What makes a relationship work and what is important?

Can't wait to see how the rest of the drama unfolds but I am loving it so far!

Thanks @mouse007 . I agree with what you wrote . Especially about the way they both deal with conflicts. She believes in trashing it out but he lets it fester like a wound :sweatingbullets:

i really appreciate this drama . I know sometimes the audience find the push pull difficult to watch , but if they understood the context to which this drama was written they’d understand that it is a love story that spans 12 years . It is meant to take us on that journey. If it’s sunny skies & fluffy clouds all the way , there’ll be no drama to make and no story to tell 

——

someone subbed the preview & teaser 

Spoiler

Spoiler

In love with ost 5

The singer in action

Spoiler

Ep.10 video preview translated:

Soo-Jae: Jung-Eun, it's been a long time.

Young-Jae: If I told Joon-Young about all the small feelings I had, right as they were happening, would things be different?

Joon-Young (?): Young-Jae, just... what did you do today? And did anything happen?

Young-Jae: No, of course not.

Young-Jae: If I did, then Joon-Young would try to understand me. And if I did, then I would continue to feel sorry (to him).

Last week I thought: When are they going to break up? I really want to see their "third charm" (I hope we'll watch Lisbon soon, I love that images in the teasers).

But after episode 9, I really fell depressed :tears:. It seems tomorrow they'll break up but I love how real is their storyline. The break up isn't gonna be for stupid reasons, we've seen how their relationship is gradually deteriorating because of little things despite how much they love each other.

giphy.gif

On the other hand, I'm super excited about his sister and his best friend :wub:!!! I want more scenes of them!

giphy.gif

@chickfactor thank you so much for the preview translation.

I love that there's so much depth to this drama. There's just so much to discuss and analyze! I love reading all of your posts and thoughts here! @packmule3 I really enjoyed your post and agree to it as well. JY needs to stop putting YJ on a pedestal or else he'll give and give and give and continue to feel insecure and burnt out at the end. The problem with putting people on a pedestal is that you tend to excuse their faults and overcompensate for their shortcomings  because you think you don't deserve them and or that you are somehow lacking. We see JY always bending backwards and doing everything for YJ. And YJ needs to stop thinking of JY as her stress-reliever or else she'll only think of him as a source of comfort and take him and his feelings for granted. I think she does appreciate JY but she seems to still put her needs first. 

I also don't understand why YJ keeps spending time with the doctor. Sure, she doesn't return his feelings nor does she seem him that way. But knowing that he likes her and that it bothers JY, she should stop hanging out with him. If anyone saw them together, it would be natural for other people to assume that there is something going on between them. And it sends the wrong message to both men.

I liked this ep because it showed how relationships go down when you don't communicate properly especially YJ. I have never been in a relationship but unfortunately I'm seeing myself more like JY lol. It's terrible habit:lol: thinking on your own too much and lacking self worth. And most of all, pleasing another human being to the point where you hurt yourself and feel like a burden:unsure:. As for YJ, she loves and appreciates him however she is the type that can't express her feeling to her partner properly. She is a good person however both have some growing up to do. I felt sad and hurt when JY was fixing the old radio and tells YJ he will turn back the radio the way it was before. Just as we though chingus, JY will be the one to initiate the breakup this time:tears:

Ep.10 text preview translated:

http://tv.jtbc.joins.com/trailer/pr10010947/pm10049882/vo10258745/view

섬에서 수재(양동근)과 한 영화 데이트 약속을 지키기 위해 영화관으로 향하는 주란(이윤지 분). 7년 전 수재의 연인이었던 정인(이연두 분)과 맞닥뜨리는데. 한편, 호철(민우혁 분)과 함께 있는 영재(이솜 분)을 마주선 준영(서강준 분). 누가 먼저 말하지 않아도 이별의 순간을 직감하고. 이를 타기할 클래식한 프로포즈를 준비하는데...

Joo-Ran heads to the movie theater to keep the promise of a movie date that she made with Soo-Jae. They run into Jung-In, who was Soo-Jae's girlfriend 7 years ago.

Joon-Young encounters Young-Jae who was with Ho-Chul. Even if no one speaks of it first, they both intuit that this is the moment of farewell.

So (Joon-Young?) prepares a classic proposal...

(I underlined the part that I could not translate.)

--

So, I just watched Ep.9 and well, I am sad. You can see both of them on the verge of tears constantly because they both sense that their relationship is dying a slow death, and it's incredibly sad.

Even if nothing is really happening, so MUCH is happening at the same time. They're both not a good fit, and they're both coming to that realization, and I am genuinely sad to see it.

Moving on, at least I had lots of fun watching Sang-Hyun and Ri-On together. They're both hilarious!

I did not enjoy Joo-Ran chasing after dog-lover-man, and wasn't sad at all to see that implode. I cannot wait until Joo-Ran knows what it's like to be in a real relationship where she can be herself and not pretend all the time.

Just more love for Soo-Jae. Loved him waving away the stink as he was talking to Joo-Ran after she just puked. HAHA.

7 hours ago, dramaninja said:

IF she is dating the doctor after time skip the doctor cant complain abut JY or YJ hanging out  witch each other or  whatever since he found this acceptable behavior :rolleyes:

ahahahahah....I agree...sorry but doc got on my nerves. I mean , it is another man's girl. I suppose some will say live without regret, and YJ is not married but it really does not sit well with me when he wanted to confess and even had the cheek to "inform" JY. While I think doc had every right to fall for YJ and I know feelings can't be helped, he could have taken the high road and walked away. It is the decent thing to do  Having been in Joon Young's shoes, urrghh I know how it feels.  And hyung is as always perceptive about people...

Spoiler

ShDueNO.png

Regardless, YJ and JY 's problems are not because of doc or any external circumstances. It really is them. I agree with you @lu09 , JY lacks self worth and does not see himself the way we do. I really like him . Petty as he is and yes it can be suffocating, he is 110% devoted and is persistent in everything he does (look at how he never gave up on the radio) . Over time I have come to appreciate men like that. True they may not be as exciting and they can be naggy, but you will never feel insecure . I am certain that is one of the reasons that YJ loves him so. He makes her feel a million bucks. But as the walk along the fields have shown us , what they are both looking for right now in life is too different. Even though he is willing to make a compromise, she knows that in time to come he will be bitter about it. He in turn realises that he can't be that open , confident and cool person that he wish he could be . That is why it was eating him up ... ( I cannot help but fangirl over how SKJ is nailing the emotional scenes. This is my first time even though I have seen him in several dramas now). I think it has become such a burden on both that the best thing right now is for them to separate.

kWrOFAD.png

But anyway as the main OTP go into angst territory , I appreciated the comic relief from the other scenes. This was definitely the episode where Princess won :joy:.....naughty , sly dog...:w00t:

Spoiler

Kog4lpV.png

It was about high time that Joo Ran stopped being blinded by Mr Iron Man's wonderful abs . If a man chooses his dog over you , say goodbye to him immediately. But as one door closes , another one opens. I am actually interested to see how this relationship will develop...

4qNDhbU.png

@dulcinea1 I am also very excited about the bestie and sister's arc...But I am certain Joon Young will be 1000% against it. I am jumping the gun of course. In the first place the sis herself would be utterly shock and in her usual cool self brushes it off. But I do wonder if she has any feelings yet for him.This kiss was most surprising :D

WSNGrIW.png

Anyway, in spite of the repeated cycle of happiness and angst that the OTP goes through, I can see the love they have . But I guess, sometimes love itself is not sufficient. I know from the Naver comments, the domestic audience are not too happy with this repeated cycle , and many are frustrated. let's hope audience can see the bigger picture of this drama depicting the realities of relationship and hang on to support it. 

Spoiler

n7q7OTq.png

Was waiting for jtbc to release the cuts for tonight , while waiting ...

jtbc compiled & summarised their love story 

SKJ’s agency released bts for eps 9

Spoiler

Spoiler

Stills for tonight 

5 hours ago, triplem said:

ahahahahah....I agree...sorry but doc got on my nerves. I mean , it is another man's girl. I suppose some will say live without regret, and YJ is not married but it really does not sit well with me when he wanted to confess and even had the cheek to "inform" JY. While I think doc had every right to fall for YJ and I know feelings can't be helped, he could have taken the high road and walked away. It is the decent thing to do  Having been in Joon Young's shoes, urrghh I know how it feels.  And hyung is as always perceptive about people...

Regardless, YJ and JY 's problems are not because of doc or any external circumstances. It really is them. I agree with you @lu09 , JY lacks self worth and does not see himself the way we do. I really like him . Petty as he is and yes it can be suffocating, he is 110% devoted and is persistent in everything he does (look at how he never gave up on the radio) . Over time I have come to appreciate men like that. True they may not be as exciting and they can be naggy, but you will never feel insecure . I am certain that is one of the reasons that YJ loves him so. He makes her feel a million bucks. 

Anyway, in spite of the repeated cycle of happiness and angst that the OTP goes through, I can see the love they have . But I guess, sometimes love itself is not sufficient. I know from the Naver comments, the domestic audience are not too happy with this repeated cycle , and many are frustrated. let's hope audience can see the bigger picture of this drama depicting the realities of relationship and hang on to support it. 

@triplem sorry for cutting your post.. but yes, I am not liking doc. True, there are instances when you can't help but have feelings for someone but it's one thing to have feelings and another to act on them when you know that person is already involved with someone else. IMO, it's NOT okay to butt into someone else's relationship like that especially since he can see how happy JY makes YJ. And YJ even told him that she doesn't want to do anything that upsets JY.. and yet he keeps spending time with her. It's just sleezy.

Like you, I also really like JY. I love that he is devoted and really does his best to make YJ happy. The scene in ep 8 where he tries to eat spicy chicken feet with YJ and she asks him why he's doing it even though he doesn't like spicy food.. he answers that he wanted to try it out because she likes it so much.. that really resonates with me. My husband and I aren't all too similar.. in fact we have different interests and hobbies.. but one of the things I love about him is that he tries his best to give me the things that make me happy even when he doesn't understand it. Like when I'm eating food, he carefully watches me and tries to learn what appeals to me and what doesn't and he cooks food that appeals to me. And because of it, I feel loved and I know he really cares because he makes the effort. And that is more important to me than being with someone who is exactly the same as me. 

To me, this drama asks questions like "what does it really mean to be compatible?", "is love enough to make a relationship work?",  and "could a relationship that has the right ingredients survive even when the timing isn't perfect?"

JY and YJ, although completely different people, are compatible because they complement each other. We can see it that their differences have the potential to help each other grow and evolve. 

Although JY and YJ clearly love each other and make each other happy, we can see that love itself isn't enough.. it has to be maintained and nurtured. They both have to put in effort for each other.

And then there's the question of timing. I feel like at this point, the timing isn't perfect for them (just like the first time they met). YJ is still pursuing her dreams and doesn't seem ready to settle down unlike JY. I also think they still both have a lot to learn like how to communicate better and how much space to give the other person.

I really hope the people watching this drama can appreciate it for what it is - a realistic depiction of what being in a relationship means - the good, the bad and the ugly. Sure it has it's fluffy moments but fluff isn't enough.

Archived