Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2018-2019] My only one, 하나뿐인 내편

Happy New Year everyone!

I got a late start to this drama.  The upside of that is that I had a lot of episodes to binge watch!  Here's my take so far on the characters:

DR's Adopted Mom:  She won't change.  I don't think she's necessarily bad or evil, but she just doesn't know any better.  She seems to me to be a woman of mean and low understanding.  I don't think she had much education, either in school or just by her parents in terms of how to live.  She got married, became pregnant, and is looking forward to a life that she has planned out in her head when her husband suddenly shows up with a baby.  Surprise!  I promise it's not my love-child, but she's going to be our daughter from now on.  Maybe later in a marriage, she would have accepted that more.  But that early in their marriage?  I can see how that would be difficult.  Then, she does something mean our of spite and pinches the baby.  Baby cries, she is startled, and she gives birth prematurely to MR.  Infants are a LOT of work.  Premature infants are a LOT of work.  She can't even really focus on her premature infant because she has another infant at home.  And, I believe that MR was born at 7 months, and the reality of that is that MR is always going to be a bit weaker physically.  And, she may also have a harder grasp mentally in terms of school.  So is that DR's fault?  No.  But I think that MR's mom never got over her bitterness.  She never thought of DR as her daughter and it's clear that she still does not.

EY:  First, this actress is FANTASTIC.  I don't think her character is really bad.  She is just full of disappointment because she had a lot of hopes for her oldest son.  Every Korean parent.  So she gets a bit of a pass.  And, a lot of things hit her at once, such as her MIL's alzheimer's and even YR marrying DY.  At best, I think she is a bit naive and not very smart.  Right now, she is also festering in the bitterness of her disappointed dreams and hopes for DR and it really hasn't been that long since the wedding.  Once she gets over it (and I think her character is built to get over it unlike MR's mom), she will go back to being that air-headed but nice madam of the house.

KDR: I thought she was supposed to be smart, but girl, what are you doing?  Do you want to get caught?  And quite frankly, there is no bitterness at all that your dad just abandoned you with no explanation?  And that even after he knew that you were suffering on your own, he didn't reveal himself to you?  But again, do you want to get caught?  Buying him clothes (with what money, btw), buying him couple socks, strolling at markets and on the street arm-in-arm, sneaking into his house.  And why are you sneaking into his house?  You want to give him some hot tea, just go do it boldly like you aren't doing anything wrong.  Why act so suspicious like that?

DY:  Where do I even start with this useless waste of space and air?  She is breathing the limited clean air in this world and then releasing poisonous carbon dioxide every time she exhales.  Seriously.  What does she even do all day?  Sure, what does EY do all day, but she earned that right after taking care of house by herself for years before reaching her current comfort level.  But what does bratty DY do all day?  Before her marriage, I thought she worked as a florist, but she apparently doesn't even do that anymore.  I was just binge watching Bad Guys and one of the characters quotes Tolstoy to say something along the lines that making mistakes is the province of humans, but to justify/excuse your mistakes is the province of the devil.  Now, I am not calling DY the devil.  More, just making the point that DY is Ms. Excuses.  Or, Ms. But.  :)  She has an excuse for everything and everything is someone else's fault.  But, it's Grandma's fault for having alzheimer's.  But, it was EY's fault for actually listening to DY and searching DR's room.  But, it's DR's fault that everyone in the family likes her better.  Everything is someone else's fault.  It's ok to make mistakes, even big mistakes.  It's when you start blaming others and excusing your own behavior for your mistakes that there is something wrong.  I mean, her behavior was unbelievable!  Going up to MR and physically assaulting her then yelling like a banshee.  Telling her brother that she'll never see him again.  Walking out of the wedding.  Seriously, it's like EY rebuked her: she is putting her family and her upbringing in a bad light.  I have zero sympathy for this girl.  I want YR to divorce her because she has not had one pure motive for the duration of this drama.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, jechoi1 said:

EY:  First, this actress is FANTASTIC.  I don't think her character is really bad. 

Yes Cha Hwa Yun is a very talented actress. She plays a similar role in 100 Year Inheritance and absolutely nails that part as well. Everything I have seen her in she is fantastic. As a matter of fact, she is the reason I started watching this show. I am a late comer as well and started watching it after it had been on about a month when I saw her on the TV while my wife was watching.

I think your analysis of the characters is spot on. I have no words for DY. This chicky causes me to have outbursts at the TV at least once an episode.

Welcome to the thread and jump right in. It has been quiet this week probably due to the holidays but this show has quite a following here and this thread is usually hopping.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, dramaninja said:

Why was he angry in the preview?

My Korean's not fluent or anything, but from what I understand, DR went out at night to see her dad and lied to WDR about where she went. He realized that she lied. At the end WDR says, "Where did you go at night that you had to lie to me? You're lying to me right now!" 

And looking at the preview again, Mr. Kang quit his job. And DY went to get a DNA test done, since she found out that Mr. Kang and DR are father and daughter at the end of the episode.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Ayame said:

My Korean's not fluent or anything, but from what I understand, DR went out at night to see her dad and lied to WDR about where she went. He realized that she lied. At the end WDR says, "Where did you go at night that you had to lie to me? You're lying to me right now!" 

And looking at the preview again, Mr. Kang quit his job. And DY went to get a DNA test done, since she found out that Mr. Kang and DR are father and daughter at the end of the episode.

Yeah she really needs to tell him about her dad she should  did this sooner.

I knwo her dad may not want her dude but it is needed.

• Like 5

DR sneaking in the middle of the night to her dad’s quarter is just asking for people to question their relationship. Don’t get me wrong but once you’re married, shouldn’t your significant other be your #1? And then, your parents and siblings. She probably should’ve trusted WDR and told him about her dad. Not sure if anyone noticed that WDR screen time have decreased significantly after they got married. I enjoy the father and daughter storyline but I’m more interested watching the OTP on screen. Not only is their screen time decreased together but they seemed somewhat less lovely dovey. 

• Like 7

DY that good for nothing girl is out to get DR due to her petty jealousies. @jechoi1 described DY to the T! It’s never her fault but someone else’s. Based on the preview, DY is gathering solid proof so that she can blow DR cover with no doubt.  The Wang’s having her as a DIL is bad luck. All she does is cause havoc to that house.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, emmaleigh said:

DR sneaking in the middle of the night to her dad’s quarter is just asking for people to question their relationship. Don’t get me wrong but once you’re married, shouldn’t your significant other be your #1? And then, your parents and siblings. She probably should’ve trusted WDR and told him about her dad. Not sure if anyone noticed that WDR screen time have decreased significantly after they got married. I enjoy the father and daughter storyline but I’m more interested watching the OTP on screen. Not only is their screen time decreased together but they seemed somewhat less lovely dovey. 

Haha the OTP is less lovey dovey because they are married :D

but honestly speaking why did Doran hide the fact that Kang is her dad from WDR?

Guess it is another kdrama technique to comlicate the plot

actually I enjoy DR's scenes with her dad. I have had enough romance from other threads that I am too tired of the same theme of the OTP breakup and the heart break that follows. Kdrama keeps using the same techniques over and over. 

just finished watching a miniseries about frustrated love story that I practically cried when the lead was in pain. Enough tears for me 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, emmaleigh said:

Not sure if anyone noticed that WDR screen time have decreased significantly after they got married. I enjoy the father and daughter storyline but I’m more interested watching the OTP on screen. Not only is their screen time decreased together but they seemed somewhat less lovely dovey. 

I totally agree with you.

The writer wants to focus on the father and daughter storyline, but to be honest, i don't like how this storyline is developing. As i read some comments, yes DR agreed to wait until her father speaks up, but i think she should tell the truth to her husband. 

I also dont get why DR could use her husband money and give it to her father. DR's character is getting more and more unreasonable....

• Like 7

KBS weekend drama pattern second half storylines take a bad turn. it s so nerve wrecking I paused and stopped watching.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ngoc Diep Tran said:

I totally agree with you.

The writer wants to focus on the father and daughter storyline, but to be honest, i don't like how this storyline is developing. As i read some comments, yes DR agreed to wait until her father speaks up, but i think she should tell the truth to her husband. 

I also dont get why DR could use her husband money and give it to her father. DR's character is getting more and more unreasonable....

agree she should just tell the husband Driver Kang is actually the father she thought dead and found alive later after they got married, I'm sure WDR will understand and stood by her sides

• Like 5

1 hour ago, angelangie said:

agree she should just tell the husband Driver Kang is actually the father she thought dead and found alive later after they got married, I'm sure WDR will understand and stood by her sides

It is done on purpose by the writer to complicate the plot. 

Chingus in the preview Mr Kang packed his things and left. Any predictions? 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

It is done on purpose by the writer to complicate the plot. 

i dunno.....maybe he think that running away will save his daughter the heartache....

i prefer he stay and fight....DR will be heartbroken to lose a father again someone that love her for who she is....and not what she could bring them

• Like 5

2 hours ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

I think he will resign and go somewhere like he already tell Do Ran about it. But not telling Do Ran where he will stay like he promise.

Do Ran should trust DR more with telling DR about her father. Why do they hide when DR looking for Do Ran. Maybe just like other said, the writer want to complicated the problem. :D

• Like 5

It’s seem writer had issue with abandonment  , how many times we saw  Mr Kang packed his things and ready to run .

• Like 4

Chingus why did Mr Wang let Kang go away and leave his job after learning he is Doran's dad? 

Is it a crime that he is poor? It is clear his imprisonment wasn't revealed yet.

Mrs Park might cling to him though

It is good that he doesn't escape. Doran knows he is leaving and I guess he will tell her his new address. Unless the amnesiac Mrs Park gets upset and insists she gets married to him :D

• Like 4