[Drama 2018-2019] My only one, 하나뿐인 내편

0ly40

I came across this drama recently and seem to have a few questions since I skipped a few episodes while trying to get a feel for this drama. Something I usually don’t do so please forgive me if these points have already been answered. I will be reading all the previous posts after posting this.

Spoiler

First of all, I am wondering if the grandmother can possibly be faking her condition. Perhaps I should clarify this question before people point out that a doctor already diagnosed her condition in an earlier episode. What I meant to ask is the grandmother faking her condition some of the time. Meaning if she has had let’s assume 6 episodes where she is searching for her missing sister what if only four of them are genuine cases while the other two she is simply faking them to test the people around her to figure out their genuine intent and how they treat her. For instance, I am sure that by now she can tell that her son genuinely cares for her wellbeing and all but she can’t be sure about how her granddaughter in law feels about her even though she pretends that everything is fine and all. This way Daya may eventually slip up and let everyone else know her true nature and all. Plus perhaps the grandmother also wants everyone to know the true nature of all those people that are faking to be nice and all so that they have a genuine basis to be with their significant others and all.

For instance, both her DiL and GDiL are people who are very good in hiding their true natures from their significant others to an extent. The DiL pretends to care about her but the simple truth is that she is just as selfish as Daya. Such as she will make an excuse to go out to meet her friends using the grandmother as an excuse. (she claims that she went out to purchase the grandmother’s favorite mango cake when in reality she went out to meet her friends. She did purchase it so as not to be shown that she was lying etc..) The DiL probably didn’t need to go to such lengths because the grandmother seems to be a reasonable person and would have probably allowed her to do so. Daya is in many ways similar she eyes the company and home already as hers and isn’t satisfied with what she has. For instance, could the necklace incident be a test of character that the grandmother was holding for both Daya and Doran. She wanted to see what each one of them would do given the circumstances. In Daya’s case she wanted to see if she would be satisfied with anything or would she go for something flashy ie the bigger necklace and would she still be satisfied if she got something other than what she was expecting. Perhaps the grandmother might have given her the big necklace on her own accord if she had chosen the simpler one on her own. The same could be said about Doran she wanted to judge her character and see what she would have done with the necklace that she gifted her (in her state). Since she never saw Doran with the necklace the grandmother probably assumed that Doran kept it with her all along until she spotted it on Daya’s neck. Naturally the grandmother couldn’t simply ask it back without giving up the game that she was faking her condition. Perhaps the grandmother also has other fears as to what the people would do to her if they did find out. Would they send her of a mental institute or an old people home just so that they don’t have to look after her.

Also isn’t it a bit odd the people that she seems to grow attached to are those that seem to be more pure of heart who don’t seem to want more and are easily satisfied with what they have. Doran seems to want nothing more and she just wants to help out of the goodness of her heart. She seems to get offended whenever the DiL or Daya try to pay her for her good deeds. The same can be said for Daya’s Aunt. She doesn’t seem to care about all those social barriers. For instance, she is rich and well off yet she seems to have fallen for a man that is in a lower social standard than hers. Infact Mr. Kim happens to be a driver or hired help yet she doesn’t see it that way and thinks of him as another regular human being. She doesn’t judge him for that and accepts him for who he is. If the grandmother discovered this, then she might simply approve of her as well. Plus, she needs more people to have fun with at her age.

Some may wonder how the grandmother even knows about the Aunt being like this. If I had to guess, I would surmise that the priest at the church must have informed her about this. We have to remember that Mr. Kim was someone that was recommended by him to her. It would thus make sense that he might have informed her that Mr. Kim was a regular at that church and that he was doing well and that recently he came across a nice lady who also seemed to be interested in him etc.. The grandmother could have gone to the church herself to check this out or even ask the priest to send a picture of those two to her. When she saw the Aunt she immediately recognized her as said woman but since she had never met her in person prior to this she couldn’t mention any of this without coming of as weird or suspicious. Perhaps this also helps her to find out what kind of person Mr. Kim is such as would he go after a rich woman because she was showing some kind of interest in him or would he ignore her and be a simple man etc..

Another question that I am curious about is Doran’s mother getting conned again. If that is the case, I have no idea what to say about her. On one hand I want to feel sorry for her but then on the other I want her to learn her lesson somehow I doubt that is going to be the case. I mean it is quite possible that both her and the loan shark are being taken for a ride but somehow I have my doubts regarding this. The timing is just to suspicious. Not only that but the amount that the loan shark was asking her was the exact amount that she got from Doran’s marriage. Now one can ask how did he even know about this ie she supposedly has that much on her. For that I would point out that again conveniently her friend that conned her is back (the woman that showed up at her place is that same person correct otherwise my guess is going to be wrong). The friend doesn’t know how Doran’s mother is still well off an assumes that the mother still had some money stashed on her and so she wants that to. Perhaps it is to pay of the people that are after her since it looks like she was conned to perhaps she has some loan sharks on her back as well or the same loan shark as well. So she approaches him with a scheme where they both come out as winners. She simply has to ask indiscreetly to Doran’s mother how much money she has on her and since Doran’s mother doesn’t suspect much tells her. She then informs the Loan Shark who comes up with a scheme to get that money of her and he knows that she is going to be an easy mark because she has already been conned once. After all why would such a big company look for investors like that. It is probably indeed going to end up bankrupt and this way the loan shark is going to take her money. As for the man that he met that day he is probably someone who owed him money at some point and was thus greeting him like that. There was no real conversation regarding the business nor did the mother actually verify on her own if that building was indeed being constructed by said company that the loan shark told her. Plus let us not forget something important. We have just reached the midway point and if Doran is happily married then we don’t really have much of a story. We would feel cheated if her mother has the perfect life and all. This means that she has to cause some more trouble and needs to get out of it. Her being conned makes perfect sense because this would lead her to being penniless once more and this time she can’t get anything out of it because she signed that contract with the grandmother where she promised her that she would never bother Doran regarding money anymore. This means that the mother will have to find her own means to get out of this mess. Hopefully she won’t force Miran to try and seduce the Dentist son of her boss to get out of this mess. But I fear that is what is going to happen.

Finally, what is up with Doran being the first person to discover her father’s secret. This is probably the second or third drama that I have watched where the main lead discovers the birth secret before the others. Another one where this happened was Hide and Seek. There seems to be another one but I can’t seem to recall it at the moment. Is this going to be the norm. Don’t know how I feel about that. But regardless of this the drama is sort of starting to feel a bit like Seyong My Daughter. There seem to be quite a few similarities between these two dramas in certain aspects.

The father attends his daughter’s wedding without her knowing this fact till much later on.

The father also ends up working for his In Laws without anyone knowing. Though in this case he was working for them from the start but over there he joins them later on especially after finding out about his daughter and wants to keep tabs on her if I recall correctly.

In both show the parent and child seem to have cut all ties with their family though in both cases it is for different reasons. Over there she cut of ties with her father because she didn’t want to do anything with him and had him declared dead or something to that extent and had lied to him that she was going abroad to study (yet she was aware of his existence). Over here it is the Dad that has declared himself dead of sorts. So until recently Doran believed that to be the case. Thus in this case it is him that has cut of all ties with his daughter.

Poor Doran is going to go through a hard time especially since she probably has no idea of what to do and who to confide her discovery. She probably isn’t going to confront her dad with what she knows because she is afraid that she is going to lose him and she won’t do the same to her husband because she has no idea how he will react to this news. Will he think that he was deceived by her and that those two colluded with each other so that she could marry him etc..

Anyway I think that things might just start to get interesting at this point. If I get time I will definitely be watching this drama and commenting on it. So far it seems to have a nice feel to it. Till next time take care all of you and hope that you enjoy it as well. If anyone can confirm the grandmothers condition will really appreciate it.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@stargazer187 DR was never the sharing burden type even before revolution so it will be really quiet difficult to navigate DR & WDR relationship after it.Would it be bad if she kept the secret for her self ,until she get used to the idea ? She need to be prepared for the two witches, they will think she knew who her father was before marrying to the family . 

But also I am with @celebrianna it’s good test to their love for each other , the end of the day secrets simply don’t exit behind close door or open door there is always somebody listening or confessing . She better tell him now before the situation get twisted . 

17 hours ago, stargazer187 said:

But I think she'll keep to herself like she always does and the secret will be revealed with the two witches joint venture in more evil and cruel way they could be. This scenario scares me and might slowly lessen its fun steadily.  

It seems like she is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't ! 

I want her to stick with her promise to WDR 

7 hours ago, smhelen said:

Uee is just one great actor. I love her. 

Choi Joo Song is amazing too. It is the first time I watch him, but really he and Uee made me cry today.

Mrs Park is the only one who knows now that Mr Kang is Doran's dad. But she is a very kind-hearted person. She already likes Mr. Kang. I think that DR might say that she is just considering Mr. Kang as her dad so as to keep the secret.

I am not expecting Doran to reject her father. When Daya and WDK mother learn about the truth, Doran will definitely choose her dad. Although this is sad for the OTP, but this complication is not really worrying me very much. Because I just want Doran to forgive her dad. But then Mr. Kang himself will feel so guilty for disrupting the happiness of his dear daughter :tears:

Like I said before, I am mainly watching this drama because the first episode attracted me very much as concentrating on poor Mr. Kang's agony and separation from his dear daughter. That is why I am not looking for romance in this drama.

But I am sure WDR won't leave DR, his mother will be the one to cause problems alongside Daya, that DR will have to go away, choosing her father not her husband.

9 hours ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

Choi Joo Song is amazing too. It is the first time I watch him, but really he and Uee made me cry today.

I keep studying his face and his subtlely that just conveys so much raw emotion. He is one great actor. They must do another drama together. They are an excellent team. 

I said i temporarily skip a few episodes, but thinking again, this drama main content is to focus on the relationship between DR and her father. Maybe because our OTP is so adorable that makes us forget that.

Actually in previous ep whenever there were scences Papa Kang looks at DR, i feel so bad for him (Maybe because Choi Soo Jong's acting is excellcent, just look at him make me feel sad)

Therefore, now i change my mind again, what Papa Kang did was wrong but if DR has to choose between Papa and her husband, she will choose her dad -> I 100% agree.

Now its up to WDR if he can handle this situation, if he cant and the OTP has to be separated, im still ok with that, somehow i want DR to stay away  her family-in-law, and begin a new life with her father, why bother to live with that MIL that always treat you poorly.

If the writer separate the couple, then have another new guy for DR (but need to be at least as handsome as WDR), then i have no complain to you :P

@stargazer187 thankyou for answering my questions. Yes your answer seems to be far more reasonable and believable them my suggestion that the grandmother fakes her condition at times. Though that would indeed be an interesting twist if that was the case as well.

Spoiler

As for Doran’s mum she hasn’t been fully conned as of writing this post. By this I mean that she still hasn’t handed out any of her money or check to anyone including the loan shark but it is only a matter of time that she does that. Plus I wish to correct my previous post when I mentioned that perhaps the friend that conned the mother is back and staying with her. Turns out that is her sister but even I don’t trust her. She is suddenly getting a job offer from her friend that runs a restaurant. I get the feeling that if the mother doesn’t get conned from the loan shark then it might be from her sister. What if the sisters friend guarantees her the job but in return for some security? But instead of giving her the post she runs of with the money. Though hopefully I am hoping that this isn’t the case atleast someone should do their job properly and not be a burden on Doran and company.

As of now I don’t think that Doran is going to be able to bail her family out. Mr. Kim on the other hand might be able to do so but the question is whether or not he is willing to do so. We know that he has been doing odd jobs apart from his post at the grandmothers’ place. He has then been saving all his money prior to Doran marrying into that place. When he thought that she was still living with her family he was paying them of but he stopped doing that for quite some time. Then again he just might do it so that Doran doesn’t have to be troubled over this matter.

In regards to Doran’s mother having a bit of sincerity towards Doran I also believe that she has some buried deep down though they have yet to show that to us (I only believe that she has some due to watching numerous dramas where the characters redeem themselves) otherwise I don’t think that would be the case. For instance, the mother is a terrible person and a lot of suffering that she goes through are due to her own faults. Such as she has known to blame Doran for almost having a miscarriage but again she never likes to admit that she herself was the cause. Had she not pinched Doran like that out of spite Doran would never have cried (atleast not at that point) thus she never would have gone in shock. There are numerous other incidents that I can also point out where she is at fault but let’s not get into that at the moment. Though what makes the mother worse is the simple fact that she has known all along that Doran wasn’t her husband’s daughter from him having an affair so she has no reason for harbouring any kind of grudge against her. Had that been the case I could have sort of understood her feelings. Yet she verified said fact ages ago yet she discriminated Doran from an early age. Perhaps she felt that her husband favoured her more that their own daughter so she probably felt justified yet it just comes of wrong. For instance, when she only bought fried chicken for her daughter and none for Doran. Did her husband do similar things for Doran then it might be she was trying to balance out the scales. But this again doesn’t explain why she treated Doran more like a servant when they were kids such as making her do the dishes etc.. Miran seems to be a better person than her mother as in the sense she actually feels bads for Doran whenever she realizes that her mother has done something bad especially towards Doran. Perhaps she will be able to talk some sense into her mother at some point. Though don’t hope that happens anytime soon.

As for you mentioning Birth Secrets in said dramas being a staple. I am well aware of said fact what I meant to say is that usually in those dramas the main leads are almost always the last to discover said fact and it is usually the Second Leads that discover the fact before them and try to use this to their advantage. Perhaps to blackmail the leads ie we know the location of your Bio Parent but you will have to leave town before we reveal it to you or something similar. Yet in this drama Doran being the female lead was the first person to discover her father’s identity. Now she has the burden of trying to keep it a secret. The stress is going to get to her. Unless the grandmother becomes her Secret Keeper as well. We will have to see how that turns out to be. Hopefully the grandmother is okay with it or she is told something believable since we see her making dumplings with Doran and company in today’s episode.

As for the grandmother I can understand some people frustration that she revealed a secret that wasn’t hers to reveal but considering that she was afraid that she might die she wanted to clear her conciseness before that happened and like she herself mentioned had Doran been a stranger she would have done just that unfortunately she personally knew Doran and that changed things. Had she not had cancer she probably would have done the same thing only much later on. Ie her deathbed if Mr. Kim hadn’t come clean by then.

As for Doran not wanting to listen to her father’s reason for abandoning her is a mistake. I understand that she doesn’t want to do so for now and wants him to open up to her on his good time is all well and good. Unfortunately, when he is living so close to her I think that it is a bad move. We know that there are people in said house that are already gunning for her and they are bound to discover the fact that Doran and Mr. Kim are related. With a bit of research, they are eventually going to find out that her father was arrested for murder and they are going to bring that up and Doran is only going to get more hurt just like her father warned her. Something that could lessen the blow would have been if he had revealed the exact circumstances to her so that she could be more understanding and be on his side. As of now she is going to have nothing to say and not only be embarrassed at such a revelation but also hurt. She might not even be willing to listen to her dads explanation at that time which will be bad for everyone around.

Also we have to realize that her father’s actions will affect a lot of people. We have Daya and her mother who have lost a father and husband not to mention the Aunt as well. Though I get the feeling that it will be the Aunt that will be one that mends the bridges this time around. I forgot who was it from her family that can actually recognize Mr. Kim for who he really is hasn’t shown up yet. Wasn’t he Daya’s uncle. Bet he is going to be the one that throws a spanner in everyone’s work.

@Ngoc Diep Tran How about Ji Chang Wook for Doran’s other man. Other than that I have a hard time seeing Doran walk away from her current family. I do see her probably struggling with her guilt when she discovers what her father has done so she can easily leave the home but I don’t see that happening for more than a few episodes for the simple reason that she is so attached to the grandmother that she worries about her condition. One phone call from that family will be more than enough to lure her back to that house. Therefore, unless the grandmother officially kicks her out and is really cold towards her I find it highly implausible that she is going to stay out for long. Meaning no other man unless we want to add in that coworker of hers that had a crush on her. I doubt that will be the case as well.

Speaking of the scenes from the next episode I find it hilarious how Doran’s mother is trying to set up Miran with her bosses’ son. Such as when she inquires whether or not the son is dating. Ha at this point I can easily imagine that Daya’s mother would be more than willing to accept her as her in Law as long as the fact that her son is supposedly gay remains a secret. She will probably even lower her standard to prevent that. It is actually going to get hilarious when she realizes that this isn’t the case. How will she try and backpedal to get out of this? She clearly won’t be happy to accept them as her in laws at that point but by then it will be to late. Also I can’t wait to see Daya’s reaction when she discovers who her other SiL is going to be.

Doran’s MiL tries to tame Doran but she simply has no idea of how to do it right. Then again I can understand some of her frustration. Take for instance when she told Doran to quit her job. Now I can understand everyone’s frustration at what happened next. Doran did the reasonable thing of discussing that with her husband. Unfortunately, he made things worse for Doran by speaking his mind regarding said fact. I can clearly feel Dorans frustration as that only makes things worse for her. Dae Rook was clearly at fault. His intent may have been good but he should have also considered his wives position as well something which he failed to do so. As for the MiL leaving Doran to do such an unreasonable job is astounding. She should have come up with something better or smarter. For instance, she should have faked an injury saying that she couldn’t work and something similar for Daya and that might have saved her some embarrassment atleast for the time being. Such as let Daya attempt to work with Doran but leave because she can’t cook and is more of a hindrance than an asset. Instead both are out enjoying themselves while Doran is working is going to backfire on them spectacularly. (though when the family discovered she was faking an injury it would be equally embarrassing for her as well)

Well either way let’s see what happens in today’s episode before we can make a better verdict. So far it seems to be an interesting show. Just wait till more secrets are going to be revealed. Till then take care all of you and keep posting. Will be looking forward to reading them.

34 minutes ago, stargazer187 said:

@yamiyugi I'm stucked with other drama so I still can't continue on his one. I guess waiting for Monday as I planned and watch it all at once. I read your spoiler and miscarriage? Is DR pregnant already, ehhhh?? Am I reading it wrong? Then I should go watching it for this small happy news. Hahaha

Hide contents

Other second lead male as WDR love rival? Hahaha... I like that choice. But I don't think he can join MOO now. Has he finishes his MS? Ah.. was he at MAMA award? So he has returned then?

Sorry my bad if I was unclear. In one of the early episodes Miran's mother pinched Baby Doran making her (Doran) cry. Unfortunately when she tried to quiet her the stress got to her and she (the mother) nearly miscarried Miran. One can assume that the Dad came just in time and rushed his wife to hospital and that is why everyone was healthy. as for Ji Chang Wook reference was just a joke on my part as I was aware that he was still doing his Military Service. Why I recomednded him was because the first drama that I watched happened to have both Ji Chang Wook and the actor for Wang Dae Rook in first and second lead roles. The drama was Smile Again (2010 version) also known as Smile Dongae.

As for you leaving the show for the time being is sad but being myself busy with work and all is something that I totally understand. as of now you probably wont miss much. The real interesting parts will happen when it is discovered who Doran's father is by the others and that he was not only a criminal but a murderer as well (clearly he didn't do any of it on purpose and was in a desperate situation). Probably that is the reason why he was eventually released.

Anyway sorry for any misunderstanding that I may have caused. My English isn't the best at times. My English Teacher always told me to write shorter points as that would prevent both Grammatical Errors as well as other misunderstandings due to my posts not being on the dot or being unclear. I wish I heeded such useful advice. if there is anything else that you have doubts regarding my posts please let me know.

On 12/14/2018 at 10:12 AM, stargazer187 said:

2. Yang Ja, DR's foster mom, is a money-oriented and ambitious person. She loves wealth and full of jealousy. She was conned for her own stupidity and greed. She was conned second time? Lol,  I'm not updated with the latest episodes yet. So she really believe that loan shark offer then. Don't tell me that she leech off DR to pay her debt again this time. She's a ruthless and heartless mother to DR all her life. The only good thing she did is raising her (despite of her lack sincerity to do it). Sometimes, I feel that she has 1% of genuine love to DR but it is buried in the deepest down of her heart, among all those greed and selfishness she has. I guess she'll repent in the final episodes. 

@stargazer187  Yes she'll be conned again.. The new conartist is reeling her in hook line and sinker she's eating up everything he's telling her.. In todays episode he gave her a 3/4 mink baiting her right in.. Kiss that money goodbye..

You got to just love halmoni.. She told your upbringing caused you to become a mistress, I'm begining to wonder about WDR Mom's background.. I bet she didn't come frpm to reputable family.. She may be orphan herself..

Dad told Daya to help oyt in the kitchen and when the help said she'll do it sje flew her butt up the stairs.. She does nothing around that house all day and yet with all her pettiness she have the gall to be mad because FIL bought DR a new car.. She already has a car that's perfectly fine nothing is wrong with it.. She don't wipe off a table nor set the table or wash a glass and she's all bent out of shape behind this car. MIL pampering her shallowness again.. She'll never learn with MIL being just as petty as she is.. We need someone in their right mind to set her and Daya straight..   

15 hours ago, Ngoc Diep Tran said:

I said i temporarily skip a few episodes, but thinking again, this drama main content is to focus on the relationship between DR and her father. Maybe because our OTP is so adorable that makes us forget that.

in most dramas I always like the OTP , but for once I find myself drawn to the father/daughter relationship more, maybe because it was the main trailer of the drama. I mean I was mainly drawn to the drama before it started airing because of Doran crying "appa" and of poor Mr. Kang crying while turning the pages of the photo album in the prison. I didn't notice the OTP then in the trailer.

But I usually prefer the young OTPs in dramas as Miran/Daya's brother. I also I like Daya's aunt too because she is always smiling and she can help Mr. Kang have some happiness in his sad life.

Oh my God, Daya follows DR at the end of the episode. She will discover about Mr. Kang.

this my first post about this drama....I don't think I can keep watching it...the over acting is terrible....the main mil voice is so screeching and loud...the second daughter in law pouting face and voice drives me insane.....DR and father is the only part worth watching and now that is going to blow up also...it will be one typical Korean story screech fest...So i think I will read the boards only and quit watching it...hope you guys keep posting... you all have more courage than me with this mess

OMG all these secret meetings with her father , it crazy . She sees him all day , can’t she wait until the Morning , whats the point of sneaking out . it’s like she doing it to be exposed :crazy:  Why not just tell Her husband and be done with it , she’s all ready doing a bad job at keeping it secret !!!

DaYa really is a lady detective :D

All she need it’s to instumble on little thing and she run with it @stargazer187 I think ur prediction gonna happen , the two witches will mess up everything for mr Kang and DR.

@sava2sava  it’s hilarious how she run with out finishing her pizza  - she supposed to finish her food it’s was her last meal 

I hope for her sake the FUR it’s real she need  something to comfort her  :D . 

Archived