[Drama 2018-2019] My only one, 하나뿐인 내편

0ly40

18 hours ago, celebrianna said:

@Ayame, it seems like the writer will be repeating what you told us twice before that she did to the couple in her drama Blow Breeze. Never watched it but I remember you said it a few months ago.

Yeah, and now looking back at Blow Breeze, the writer put the divorce in around the same episode number in that drama as she is doing for My Only One. I'm worried now since in Blow Breeze the main couple didn't get back together until the final episode.  Basically all the bad/annoying characters stayed like that until the writer 'solved everything' in a rush during the final episode. Honestly the last 20 or so episodes of Blow Breeze was pretty much unwatchable for me (which is why I skimmed through those episodes a lot). I'm still holding onto some hope that the writer will do something different for the rest of the episodes of My Only One. 

@Jamie Hartford I just sent you the link.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, dolorisbrady said:

I'm going skip this drama for a while. My heart is in pieces.  And my buckets have flooded over with tears. I Hope and pray that DR and WDR unite at the end.

I am with you. I will stay away for a while. I also want to have the father exonerated because I don't believe he killed anyone. I am sort of glad she left that family with the MIL and SIL on her own accord. 

13 hours ago, luvabe said:

I feel like I'm the only one who cares more about Mr. Kang's storyline (and his relationship with HJ) than about the main couple lol. I almost always skip all the scenes that don't have Mr. Kang.

I am like you too. :) I like this couple. 

but I also love Kang/Doran story even more. Father/daughter are so endearing together. It is so human and good. I hope Doran forgives her dad. In the preview, she is almost blaming him for having to divorce WDR. But what is worse is the loan shark who is alive and hiding. :( he should confront Kang and save him from all this. Poor Kang.

I was quite disappointed that HJ and Mr. Kang did not get a lot of screen time last night.

I didnt watch the episodes yet , but now I am not sure if I want to watch it , if these two didn’t get that much scene together :D

I don't want their happiness to end, haha.  It makes me feel a little better knowing that he might've not killed DY's father.  

Me too I really hope there is some sort of happy ending for both of them , I just think after all they faced , it would be great for them to end together . :tounge_xd:

If they didn’t end together it will be heartbreaking for me , the build up of the two of them has been so brilliantly done that sometimes I forget it’s made up drama , the way  Mr Kang struggle with his feeling and was always trying to fight his feeling or hide it from her , to then finally showing some affection towards her was done beautifully , I just hope when times gets tough, she stick with him be strong for both of them and they can end with each together.. 

13 hours ago, mizv said:

try kocowa 

many thanks - however viki was just slow or having some tech issues but i was able to watch the latest epis!

I hope you guys won't mind me sharing this but MK's or Choi Soo joong has an article and some of you may appreciate this after all I think a lot of fans are now enjoying this actor incldg myself :P

https://www.hancinema.net/my-ugly-duckling-choi-soo-jong-is-a-romantic-husband-126100.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+hancinema%2FAUJj+(HanCinema+Daily+News)

"My Ugly Duckling" Choi Soo-jong Is a Romantic Husband

photo1032389.jpg

photo1032389.jpg

Choi Soo-jong surprised everyone with his wild statement.

He appeared on the latest episode of the SBS TV show "My Ugly Duckling".

He celebrated his 26th anniversary with his wife and explained, "My wife Ha Hee-ra has been an actress since she was in elementary school so she doesn't know how a lot of things work. I'm used to doing things for her and it's become a habit".

Choi Soo-jong added, "My father was very caring. He made one day of the week 'the men's day' and made my mother and sister rest while hE and I did everything".

"I will remain the same even when I'm in my 80s. Showing affection is a habit. If I say the things I do to show my affection, this won't be able to be broadcasted on TV. We start every morning with a good morning and..." Sin Dong-yup asked if he kissed her on her cheek and he answered, "Why kiss on the cheek when there's everywhere else?"

photo1032390.jpg

photo1032379.jpg

what do you guys think of latest episodes? DR better not divorce our WDR - she's getting on my nerves lately :(

2 hours ago, hibiscus23 said:

what do you guys think of latest episodes? DR better not divorce our WDR

They brought back that girl from the past and the way her MIL and SIL had made her life a living hell, she might just be better off to let go. I hope WDR wisens up and really, really take on his mother and sister in law but he is just too nice of a guy. I am sad but I think she needs to leave all of South Korea and come and stay with me. 

On 1/27/2019 at 6:16 AM, nohamahamoud2002 said:

Don't worry they will unite again as usual in kdrama. It is the man who always keeps fighting usually. Women in kdrama always back off. I wonder why.

I know that the main theme here is the father's problem of facing society's prejudices. That's why the writer will focus on this. The past seems mysterious yet. We need to know what really happened. How will Kang face people when they know the truth. Still Daya and her aunt are involved as Kang was accused of killing Daya's dad.

I think that's what the main theme was originally, but I also don't think this drama has the guts to actually go through with it.  If the main theme is really about prejudices and how to live with them or overcome them, then I think that DR's dad would have to have murdered (even if it was accidental) Daya's dad.  Otherwise, it's almost a cop out to then say, nope, he didn't murder someone; he was just framed for it.  And, with the bum/ex-loan shark's appearance, I think this is where this drama is going.  I call this a cop out because I don't think it will have as much impact.  There is a big difference between society and WDR's family, and Daya's family accepting a falsely accused murderer versus accepting an actual murderer who has repented.  The latter requires real forgiveness and an openmindedness that WDR's mother, the Brat, and the Brat's mother do not have.  Never going to happen.  Oh, I know that they'll have their kumbaya moment in the last few episodes, but not enough to actually forgive the person who murdered their husband/father.  And I'm not saying this lightly.  If someone killed my husband or father, I would have a very difficult time to forgive and then accept that person.  And I think I'm much more open minded than the Trio.

On 1/27/2019 at 9:57 AM, celebrianna said:

@icyphoenix, that is why I find it the strangest thing for a husband to allow his wife to be mistreated by his family and vice versa. My society’s value is different to this and while marriages are indeed increasingly broken nowadays, it is really through the fault of the couple and probably through their lack of faithfulness and communication but hardly ever because of their parents. Nevertheless, in drama shows like this, when I see how lightly they take marriage to genuflect to their parents, I can no longer take the couple’s marriage or commitment to it seriously. This is why if WDR and KDR does in fact get divorce I really don’t care if they get back together. They would have already failed at the marriage so why try again? It’s not like his family and her family won’t still be the same.

I'm 50-50 here.  I hear what you say about how when a couple marries, they are making that commitment to support each other and start their family.  However, family is about family--everyone in that family.  Getting married is essentially about learning to compromise and giving a little here and taking a little here.  It's about learning to accommodate others and not put yourself first always.  Same with parenthood.  And this is essentially about what a family is.  And it's important because imagine a society where no one knows how to compromise or think of others first.  It would be a miserable society.  Part of the problem with Korean dramas is that it deals in extremes, and we are doing the same here.  Is one extreme better than the other (parents and extended family vs cutting yourself off completely from the extended family)?

And this problem of extremes is I think a genuine problem with K-dramas.  In this chicken or the egg argument, I honestly think that the extreme behavior displayed in K-drama is reflected in actual Korean culture and attitudes.  In real life, Koreans talk about yelling at their DILs and telling people to kneel.  Honestly, what kind of behavior is this?  I wish that drama writers would stop showing this kind of behavior so that Koreans in real life will stop thinking that this is normal and acceptable behavior.

Finally, please, can we see more of Hong Joo?  It was such a breath of fresh air to have her tell the Brat off.  She hit it right on the nail.

And, really, finally, this drama makes no sense.  The Brat is acting like she likes the chaebol girl, but the reality is that the Brat doesn't want WDR marrying someone like that.  Right now, with DR as her SIL, she already feels threatened.  How much more will she feel threatened if WDR were to marry a rich chaebol girl, who is also educated enough to run her own business?

24 minutes ago, jechoi1 said:

I think that's what the main theme was originally, but I also don't think this drama has the guts to actually go through with it.  If the main theme is really about prejudices and how to live with them or overcome them, then I think that DR's dad would have to have murdered (even if it was accidental) Daya's dad.  Otherwise, it's almost a cop out to then say, nope, he didn't murder someone; he was just framed for it.  And, with the bum/ex-loan shark's appearance, I think this is where this drama is going.  I call this a cop out because I don't think it will have as much impact.  There is a big difference between society and WDR's family, and Daya's family accepting a falsely accused murderer versus accepting an actual murderer who has repented.  The latter requires real forgiveness and an openmindedness that WDR's mother, the Brat, and the Brat's mother do not have.  Never going to happen.  Oh, I know that they'll have their kumbaya moment in the last few episodes, but not enough to actually forgive the person who murdered their husband/father.  And I'm not saying this lightly.  If someone killed my husband or father, I would have a very difficult time to forgive and then accept that person.  And I think I'm much more open minded than the Trio.

Sorry I am cutting your post!  I almost wish that the writer can go through with her original plan of the theme of prejudice, justice, forgiveness and so on.  It will really make this drama stand out bc the only other drama that I know dealt with prejudice was More Beautiful Than Flower, if anyone interested let me know!  I’ll be more than happy to retrieve them for you!  So there a man who actually killed the Go Do Shim’s eldest son and ther daughter was having relationship with him.  It was not said if the family forgive him or not, but his partner definitely did!  They ended move to America so the family won’t have to see him.  On the other hand, it was not the main theme of the story, so that is why it was dealt lightly.  

If it doesn’t deal with it then it will be like “My Father is Strange”, which I don’t want it to happen.  She is a writer, I believe she can make it through!!  I want to see a real forgiveness this time!! 

2 hours ago, jechoi1 said:

I'm 50-50 here.  I hear what you say about how when a couple marries, they are making that commitment to support each other and start their family.  However, family is about family--everyone in that family.  Getting married is essentially about learning to compromise and giving a little here and taking a little here.  It's about learning to accommodate others and not put yourself first always.  Same with parenthood.  And this is essentially about what a family is.  And it's important because imagine a society where no one knows how to compromise or think of others first.  It would be a miserable society.  Part of the problem with Korean dramas is that it deals in extremes, and we are doing the same here.  Is one extreme better than the other (parents and extended family vs cutting yourself off completely from the extended family)?

My view is different. I come from a huge family because my grandparents had 13 kids and of course those kids had kids which I am one of them. As important as our family is, my grandparents always respected the spouses of their children even if the spouse wasn’t someone they were thrilled about. Respecting the married couple is extremely important in our family. I don’t like one of my uncle’s wife that much but I don’t disrespect and I’m polite to her. I get along with her because she’s his wife and we’re family. Nobody in my family interfere with the marriages of our family members to the point where they become a source of the problem for the couple. That’s because we understand that married couple and their children is the foundation of society. All of the married couples in my family live in their own homes which I think is the best thing they could do to prevent other family members from interfering in their marriage if they were ever inclined to do so. Yet, my family is a close family even with everybody living in their own homes and in USA and Canada.

I admit that one of the things I never understood about these family drama is why are the married couples living with their parents? Also, the overbearing mother-in-laws make me wonder why people ever get married in that society. I honestly cannot understand why in this day and age grown adults like WDR and KDR chose to live with his parents. Living in your own home doesn’t mean you still can’t visit your parents or be close with them. I really don’t get it at all. 

12 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

My view is different. I come from a huge family because my grandparents had 13 kids and of course those kids had kids which I am one of them. As important as our family is, my grandparents always respected the spouses of their children even if the spouse wasn’t someone they were thrilled about. Respecting the married couple is extremely important in our family. I don’t like one of my uncle’s wife that much but I don’t disrespect and I’m polite to her. I get along with her because she’s his wife and we’re family. Nobody in my family interfere with the marriages of our family members to the point where they become a source of the problem for the couple. That’s because we understand that married couple and their children is the foundation of society. All of the married couples in my family live in their own homes which I think is the best thing they could do to prevent other family members from interfering in their marriage if they were ever inclined to do so. Yet, my family is a close family even with everybody living in their own homes and in USA and Canada.

I admit that one of the things I never understood about these family drama is why are the married couples living with their parents? Also, the overbearing mother-in-laws make me wonder why people ever get married in that society. I honestly cannot understand why in this day and age grown adults like WDR and KDR chose to live with his parents. Living in your own home doesn’t mean you still can’t visit your parents or be close with them. I really don’t get it at all. 

Amen. You preach it. A marriage is between the couple and not their families. I don't understand these story lines either in these dramas. I don't know why I even bother watching because I end up turning them off when it gets to this point in the story. Just like I am now. I have grown tired of the antagonists and I absolutely loathe marriage break ups because of family issues. The acting has what has carried this tired cliche of a story thus far. However, in my book the acting can't carry it anymore. This writer needs to go on a sabbatical and recharge. I'm out.

I know that the drama is setting us up for a divorce, but I just don't really see it happening.  I think there are supposed to be 106 episodes or so and we are in the high 70s right now.  Yes, even with only 20 episodes left, they could be divorced and meet new people.  After all, they already have the new "partners" ready.  But, there are so many other loose ends that need to be tied up, too.

1. HongJoo and DR's dad's relationship.  Honestly, I think that HJ should just move out.  It would be sad for MR, of course, but I doubt that HJ's goodness will rub off on her nasty sister and her even nastier niece.  Better that she make a statement to them by moving out and saying she can't stand to be contaminated by their nastiness anymore.
  2. DR's dad's situation--did he murder the Brat's dad or not?  I'm going to guess he didn't, otherwise, the bum guy would not look so guilty.  I think earlier in the drama they made it seem that DR's dad killed 2 people, but obviously that's just what he thinks happened (because I think he was kind of a zombie and didn't really pay attention to his own trial).  There is no way that DR's dad would have been accused of murdering 2 people when 1 of his victim's actually survived.  He could have still been accused of attempted murder or something less than that, but I still don't see why the bum guy would act so guilty then.
  3. The Brat.  Everything about her.  Her relationship with YR (I wish he would actually threaten to leave her or something), her attitude, her secret scheme to become the madame of the house...  There's actually a lot of episodes that need to be devoted to the Brat and her comeuppance followed by redemption.  Her character is so lacking right now that the writer has to devote a serious portion of the air time to her.
  4. DR's mom--I think they need to pair her up with someone else or something to give her something to do.  It doesn't make sense that they would leave her all alone (except for her sister) because even though she is slowing changing, that change isn't coming along fast enough.  She still causes trouble for her daughters and neither of her in-laws like her.  These family dramas usually end with everyone singing kumbaya together.
  5. Grandma.  Honestly, I'm not sure how they are going to end her storyline.  Will she continue to just live with the family, but she no longer hates her DIL and the Brat?  I don't see how she can get over her dislike.  Whenever she has her episodes, she is living in the past and reliving past events.  That's how people IRL that I've know with Alzheimer's behave.  They remember appointments that they had 30 years ago and think that they need to go to that appointment.  You can't "explain" to them that their perceptions are wrong.  So, even if the writer tries to resolve it by saying that Grandma had the wrong idea about her step-mom, I don't think that's really going to fly.

I purposely didn't add the DR/DR couple because the above are just the plots that need to be resolved even assuming that DR/DR divorce.

5 hours ago, jechoi1 said:

HongJoo and DR's dad's relationship.  Honestly, I think that HJ should just move out.  It would be sad for MR, of course, but I doubt that HJ's goodness will rub off on her nasty sister and her even nastier niece.  Better that she make a statement to them by moving out and saying she can't stand to be contaminated by their nastiness anymore.

Regarding to her moving out.  I feel what would be beneficial is, after she finds out about Mr. Kang past, that’s assuming she is the second person to find out.  And she knows very well that her sister is going to disapprove the relationship.  Then she secretly moves out without telling them.  Of course, I am against of her going to Mr. Kang’s house because that would just add more fire to already burning ones.  And after she moves out, her and DR works together to solve his case!  DR with her law degree (with the money HJ provides).  Also, btw, there are about 30 episodes left!! 

5 hours ago, jechoi1 said:
  1. Grandma.  Honestly, I'm not sure how they are going to end her storyline.  Will she continue to just live with the family, but she no longer hates her DIL and the Brat?  I don't see how she can get over her dislike.  Whenever she has her episodes, she is living in the past and reliving past events.  That's how people IRL that I've know with Alzheimer's behave.  They remember appointments that they had 30 years ago and think that they need to go to that appointment.  You can't "explain" to them that their perceptions are wrong.  So, even if the writer tries to resolve it by saying that Grandma had the wrong idea about her step-mom, I don't think that's really going to fly.

I purposely didn't add the DR/DR couple because the above are just the plots that need to be resolved even assuming that DR/DR divorce.

So about grandma’s situation.  I don’t think you can say that she doesn’t dislike them anymore.  From my point of view, she still doesn’t like them, but she doesn’t say when she’s in her state of mind.  Also DR is about to get a divorce.   So I’m for sure she’s going to have one of her episodes.   I feel like the only thing the writer can do is either make her conditions worst or make her move into her granddaughter in law’s house (DR/DR’s house)!. 

I know I say this a lot but I want to see a wedding scene between HJ and Mr. Kang. They better not rush their wedding scene.   You know what else I can see happening, HJ asks Mr. Kang to get marry after she finds out the big bomb, that way he wouldn’t be able to back out of it, nor are the families.  

26 minutes ago, Ayame said:

The new preview is slightly different from what was shown at the end of the episode last week.

I am kind of glad that she will tell him.  But why do I feel like is coming from her head?  I doubt she would tell him that fast.  

Also, since HJ is not part of the preview that means she doesn't know it, nor her family members.  

Archived