[Drama 2018] Ms. Ma, Nemesis 미스 마, 복수의 여신

larus

24 minutes ago, gutibear said:

yes, you're right!! and don't forget all her gossipy neighbors. :P

And the slightly incompetent local police--a somewhat smart older one and a clueless young one!  :lol:

I have a feeling that we're gonna have a brilliant mash-up of Miss Marple elements here and it will be a treat to try to pick them out.  I've watched a number of different actresses in the role of Miss Marple.  Geraldine McEwan was my favorite but I suppose I paid more attention to her because she was the lead in a different series that was one of my very, very favorite TV shows of all time--a little-known gem called Mulberry (which has nothing to do with Miss Marple).  I need to refresh myself on the various details about Miss Marple because that is bound to make this show even more interesting.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, thistle said:

Geraldine McEwan was my favorite 

she’s my fav too.. actually if you read the books, most of the tv adaptations don’t follow the story wholly. And speaking of incompetent local police, I kinda hope Miss Ma has someone from ‘high-up’ who support her. Just like in the book. Maybe a younger version of Sir Henry will do. But anyway, so far I enjoy this show very very much. Curious bout the unexpected ‘niece’. Another link from Miss Marple? Remember in the book she has a nephew named Raymond West?

Btw, I happened to finish all Miss Marple books this year. 

4 hours ago, thistle said:

And the slightly incompetent local police--a somewhat smart older one and a clueless young one!  :lol:

I have a feeling that we're gonna have a brilliant mash-up of Miss Marple elements here and it will be a treat to try to pick them out.  I've watched a number of different actresses in the role of Miss Marple.  Geraldine McEwan was my favorite but I suppose I paid more attention to her because she was the lead in a different series that was one of my very, very favorite TV shows of all time--a little-known gem called Mulberry (which has nothing to do with Miss Marple).  I need to refresh myself on the various details about Miss Marple because that is bound to make this show even more interesting.

Finished watching 3 & 4. 

I agree there is a mash up going on here of tv/novel female middle aged sleuths.

I see some small similarities with Agatha Christi's Ms Marple . I didn't read Nemesis but I saw the bbc tv version with Joan Hickson (who is my fav Ms Marple), but the girl who dies (actually 2 girls ) are not related to Ms Marple who  was never married and she never went to jail.  Also, Miss Ma's cover persona while she's on the lam is as a writer - which reminds me of Murder She Wrote. I do recall the poison pen letters in another Agatha Christi. 

Ms Marple is referred to as  "Nemesis" (goddess of revenge/divine retribution) by a very wealthy older man who leaves money in his will to her if she will solve a crime and help his nephew.  She is not seeking revenge for the terrible pain in her own life but to right a great wrong that is causing pain for his nephew.

This show is also reminding me of the recent k-drama Return.  That series was all about a middle aged woman seeking  revenge for the death of her daughter. The original actress in the part, Go Hyun Jung also looks a little like Kim Yunjin - I even thought it was her at first.   

I think as we go along it will be fun finding all the references.  

I am  wondering about that trunk load of money Ms Ma found buried in the woods. Her family is wealthy (the prosecutor's theory is that she was spoiled and got everything all of her life, so when she couldn't get custody she murdered the child for spite - which is horrific)  - so did she bury the money there? or someone else.  Also, As of now, that quirky younger woman has shown up out of the blue, and for some reason is giving credence to Ms Ma's fictional identity.   Need to know more about her.

23 hours ago, maddymappo said:

.....I am  wondering about that trunk load of money Ms Ma found buried in the woods. Her family is wealthy (the prosecutor's theory is that she was spoiled and got everything all of her life, so when she couldn't get custody she murdered the child for spite - which is horrific)  - so did she bury the money there? or someone else.  Also, As of now, that quirky younger woman has shown up out of the blue, and for some reason is giving credence to Ms Ma's fictional identity.   Need to know more about her.

Because of the flashback that was interspersed with her getting the money trunk, I assumed that Mrs. Ma had left the money hidden there herself knowing that she would need it later.  She must have understood she would be convicted and that prison was inevitable.  She seems like a person who makes careful plans.

And I'm wondering if the quirky younger woman could possibly be our version of Miss Marple's nephew.  

2 hours ago, thistle said:

Because of the flashback that was interspersed with her getting the money trunk, I assumed that Mrs. Ma had left the money hidden there herself knowing that she would need it later.  She must have understood she would be convicted and that prison was inevitable.  She seems like a person who makes careful plans.

And I'm wondering if the quirky younger woman could possibly be our version of Miss Marple's nephew.  

Hmmm, could be, good thinking!

EDIT

@thistle   Thinking about it  some more,  just the entry of young pretty "niece"  into the plot is very typical in many Marple stories. She has a lot of nieces and god children that pop up.  In this the twist is she is acting.  Christi also frequently includes characters who are assuming false identities. So that makes it a twofer. 

Go Sung Hee Thanks Lee Jong Suk For Sending Gift To “Ms Ma, Nemesis” Set

by J. K

Actress Go Sung Hee thanked her former co-star Lee Jong Suk for the gift he sent to the set of her new drama!

On October 9, Go Sung Hee uploaded photos of herself holding a script for her drama “Ms Ma, Nemesis” outside a coffee truck. The truck includes signs that read “Sung Hee, let’s drink coffee today instead of soju!” and “Please take good care of our Sung Hee!! She’s kind!!”

Go Sung Hee wrote in the caption, “I was feeling sick all day but then… thank you. I’m feeling stronger and excited.” She tagged actor Lee Jong Suk and included the hashtag, “I won’t forget your kindness.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1242941wpp/go-sung-hee-thanks-lee-jong-suk-sending-gift-ms-ma-nemesis-set

On 10/8/2018 at 11:34 PM, thistle said:

Because of the flashback that was interspersed with her getting the money trunk, I assumed that Mrs. Ma had left the money hidden there herself knowing that she would need it later.

or.. her daughter was kidnapped and that money was ransom money? We haven't known yet what was truly happened 9 years ago. 

11 minutes ago, gutibear said:

or.. her daughter was kidnapped and that money was ransom money? We haven't known yet what was truly happened 9 years ago. 

Yeah, It is not clear what really happened that day and why there was the evidence enough to prove that she killed her daughter. I know that the prosecutor is not to be trusted but why Han Tae-Kyu did not question then her involvement? He was a rookie cop but from what I understood, he believed he was guilty. Someone framed her?

I was curious how they were going to make Miss Ma like Miss Marple in this show if she would have been on the run. I like this show. I look forward to see new episodes.

just curious (since I watched previous episodes in sub on Monday)..

how long till we get subs? is it possible to get in on Sunday?

btw I am planning to live streaming tonight since I am in a place where the internet connection is quite good..

On 10/7/2018 at 2:50 AM, gutibear said:

With only 2 (or 4) episode, I'm still trying to figure out how much "Miss Marple" in the drama. So far, I only managed to get three

- Rainbow Village is St. Mary Mead

- the murder case of her daughter is from Nemesis

- anonymous letters is from The Moving Finger

I find it so funny that I read all of Miss Marple stories and can’t remember the plot for Nemesis even though it’s one of the more recent Miss Marple books I read and it was probably during my summer reading last year. However, I try not to commit the stories to my memory because I want to reread them. I’m so mad at myself for watching the tv show for Hercule Poirot’s Peril at End House because I remember distinctly who the murderer is and can’t bring myself to read the book because of that. I also remember the murderers for Three Act Tragedy, ABC Murders, and Murder on the Orient Express because they are the first Hercule Poirot mysteries I read but at least I didn’t know the murderers before I read the book. I remember some of the murderers for Miss Marple too though very much against my will. :sweatingbullets:

As to this show, I like it so far. The most important quality to me is that Ms. Ma believes in the study of human nature and looking for patterns of behavior much like Miss Marple does. One of the reasons I love Agatha Christie’s Poirot and Marple is because everybody is suspect because of the common denominator, namely human nature. A few times I didn’t want a particular person to turn out to be the murderer but one or two times they disappointed me so I stopped trusting anybody when I read her mysteries. :lol: So I’m only trusting Ms. Ma in this.

By the way, I like that the actor who mostly plays bad guys is a detective in this. I like seeing actors break their stereotypes.

2 hours ago, gutibear said:

just curious (since I watched previous episodes in sub on Monday)..

how long till we get subs? is it possible to get in on Sunday?

btw I am planning to live streaming tonight since I am in a place where the internet connection is quite good..

Since the posters on Soompi are posting from different countries and different time zones, it's hard to guess which day is which without getting a little confusing since my Sunday might be your Monday. 

The best way I can describe is to say that I was able to watch the shows subbed within 24 hours of their actual airtime last week.

18 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

I find it so funny that I read all of Miss Marple stories and can’t remember the plot for Nemesis even though it’s one of the more recent Miss Marple books I read and it was probably during my summer reading last year. 

hi, so glad to see you in this thread..and you are a Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot fans too..amazing!! 

Miss Ma is different from the real Miss Marple, but it is understandable since Miss Ma is a K-Drama remake. There are two Nemesis adaptations had been made in 1987 and 2009. Both have different plots from the books. But still, they are still worth to watch. I like the book version best because, well it's Agatha Christie's, nothing can compare with her originality.

btw, I am writing this while live streaming tonight episode. I think, tonight's case is based on The Moving Finger.

Thanks @thistle .. my time zone is 2 hours behind Seoul. 

@gutibear, thanks for the welcome. ^_^ The books are always better to me although I’m fond of David Suchet’s Poirot and Geraldine McEwan’s Miss Marple. To me both of these actors personify their book counterparts the best. 

Please share spoilers afterwards. I would really like to know if the detectives bought that nonesense about Ms. Ma being somebody else. I thought it was pretty silly when the younger woman walked up to her and tried to pretend she was her aunt. I don’t see how that can realistically work.

2 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

The books are always better to me although I’m fond of David Suchet’s Poirot and Geraldine McEwan’s Miss Marple.

I read all Agatha Christie's Poirot and Miss Marple books after I watched all David Suchet's Hercule Poirot. I was charmed by his acting as Poirot. For me, David Suchet is the real Hercule Poirot. Actually, now I am in my goal to collect all Agatha's books. And I am currently reading The Mysterious Mr Quin and have 5 more of her books in my to be read list.

About spoiler...I don't think I am suitable to give any spoiler, since I don't understand Korean. There's not so many the detective scenes tonight..but one of Miss Ma neighbor is killed..so sad becoz I thought she will be one of Miss Ma's friends.

oh, and there's little Ma Sung tonight...if you know what I meant

22 minutes ago, gutibear said:

I read all Agatha Christie's Poirot and Miss Marple books after I watched all David Suchet's Hercule Poirot. I was charmed by his acting as Poirot. For me, David Suchet is the real Hercule Poirot. Actually, now I am in my goal to collect all Agatha's books. And I am currently reading The Mysterious Mr Quin and have 5 more of her books in my to be read list.

About spoiler...I don't think I am suitable to give any spoiler, since I don't understand Korean. There's not so many the detective scenes tonight..but one of Miss Ma neighbor is killed..so sad becoz I thought she will be one of Miss Ma's friends.

oh, and there's little Ma Sung tonight...if you know what I meant

Yes, David Suchet is right down to the egg shaped head. :lol: I absolutely adore him and his little grey cells and fastidious ways. I purchased all of Agatha Christie’s Poirot and Miss Marple on Amazon Kindle as well as the Tommy and Tuppence mysteries which I haven’t gotten around to reading. I have six of her independent mysteries which includes And Then There Were None. I also have the box set of David Suchet’s Poirot mysteries which are sealed because I made a vow not to watch them until I finished reading all his books. :sweatingbullets: No spoilers for me again like Peril at End House. I finished all 13 Miss Marple books though. I have 36 Poirot mysteries and I’ve read most. I hesitate to read Curtain because it’s supposedly the final book for the series and my heart isn’t ready. It was hard enough watch Miss Marple grow old and weaker.

Oh, that’s a delicious spoiler. I hope it’s not the lady that I like as her kind of sidekick. :( Anyway, I’m looking forward to today’s episodes.

Ma Sung? You’re making me think of Devilish Joy.

25 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

I hesitate to read Curtain because it’s supposedly the final book for the series and my heart isn’t ready.

same here!!! Curtain is part of the box set of the first seven Agatha's book I bought. I didn't really meant it when I said I read all Poirot books since Curtain is still unopened. I don't think my heart can cope. I watched David Suchet's Curtain though..and it really sad.

tonight episode is based on The Moving Finger and if any of you had read the book or watched its adaptation, you will easily figure out who the murderer is, of course with a little changes here and there.

yup, you will meet with the child actor who plays little Ma Sung in DJ in tonight episode.

Archived