[Drama 2018] Today’s Detective/The Ghost Detective, 오늘의 탐정

larus

1 hour ago, hushhh said:

It is very possible doors and lock work differently than they do in Brooklyn. In fact I'm sure they do.  Few Korean drama have doors with old-fashioned lock and keys so . . .  Since they drama is made for folks in Korea not in Brooklyn how the chain is use might well be different.

I am talking about Korea not other place as much you saw that they have old fashion door and locked  there many dramas  show the new houses with auto lock and they have no chain actually when I talked about why they use the chain for like talken  to someone or paying  money  I wasn't  talking about my personal life as I said I don't use the chain even, but I was talking about what I saw in Korean dramas  , and if that not a old house  or normal people  old fashion  house than you should most of the house in Korea have auto lock especially in apartment's since it come with the building rules now , as I said besides  the old house and building most use auto lock now ( and I am talking about Korea again ) 

Sorry if you misunderstanding my post but that what I was talking about and side note I didn't get what you mean bringing on Brooklan??just saying different place have different  use ?? Anyway I don't know what happened in all the world  but I am talking about what I know 

1 hour ago, hushhh said:

Not knowing otherwise I can only respond to doors lock chains from what I've been exposed to. 

I know how chains on doors works from being an apartment dweller and overnighting at hotels.

I know the chains aren't that strong, and anyone who busted the door open wouldn't be stopped by the chain.  I mentioned that previously.

As I mentioned previously it was her opening the door without engaging the chain after the attempted intrusion, knowing that the enemy distorts perspective that made little sense.

Yeah, in real like fight/flight/freeze can happen to anyone at anytime.  Usually the drama which aren't real but are simulacrum when things like that happen it is usually dealt with through a callback to say, we did that, but it's a plot point, and we will get back to in.

In Terius Behind Me the female lead went into the forbidden room with a notepad.  The camera hesitate on her putting the notepad down just inside the door so that the audience would pay attention.   There was no similar attention to her taking the notepad out of the room when she left.  I fully expect for that notepad being left behind to be a plot point.  If it isn't it will seem like the continuity person left work early

First of all you have the right to think what you want but for me I don't think it so important to talk  about that so much I enjoyed  the scene so much didn't find it wrong or strange even in logic eyes  not romance  fan and I just was interesting to help you understand the other logic  answer  to your problem in that matter and have give my view about different reaction to different situations when no one is more right or more wrong to find fault of it 

So I am not trying to change your mind you also have the right to react different  to the same things even if other don't see what you see just like yw 

So if it still bother you it okay It drama we watch and love so we all accept it and move  on to this week  episodes 

1 hour ago, thistle said:

@nona88 Thanks.  I'm okay.  At the time, I was told that I did the right thing.  And I still believe that I did:  first priority is to protect your life and then don't fight unless you have to.

I just don't like hearing our show being trashed on one minor point that really has nothing to do with anything.  That was a beautiful scene and it was one that nearly all of us have been longing for; we should be allowed our joy in the moment.

I am glad  you fine now :heart:, for sure you did the right things and you were brave we lucky to have you safe and with us here taking about this beautiful  drama 

I like that scene so much nothing can make me find it wrong or at fault , when I like something  I like it with my mind before  heart so I know , this  drama so much good in plot  and pd  work and casts  I don't mind little things I have watched and still watching  many dramas  that he so many problems in logic  just for the fun side so I know how much this drama is so good and have strong  elements 

58 minutes ago, gm4queen said:

I am also glad that you are OK dear...! I know that you have guts to do the right thing at the right time...!! And the hug scene of Da Il & Yeo Wool, probably would've reminded you of your past experience...!!! BUT JUST DON"T WORRY :heart: YOU ARE SAFE & THAT"S WHAT COUNT AT THE MOMENT...!! And don't let the sadness overcome your joy dear...!! And when you get joy, grab it with your whole heart...! Or you'll have to regret later.. (I was regretting for making everyone happy in the past except myself, and those people didn't dare to think about my happiness, so it's all up to me) :flushed: And this is only a fantasy in someone's mind & they are all rendering it to us... So, no big deal :blush: RIGHT..??!!

As I said, this drama is like an addiction to my wounded heart... :heart: So I am enjoying this drama to the fullest...!! Honestly, I didn't even noticed about the chain part in the hug scene... All I'm doing now is repeating their hug scene 10x times..!! B'cause I think IT"S VERY IMPORTANT TO MAKE YOURSELF HAPPY FIRST!! :love:

I am watching  it over and over too , I can't write  more about how wonderful  that scene was, :heart:just imagine more this two romance they will give me heart attack, how much they good in each scene even in no romance one , just so much feeling, so much deep written and so much great acting and pd work 

Love them from the start  , and if they add more  few yw  and da-Il  romance I think I can be in heaven :heart:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hugo10 said:

Yeah, i think make her feeling the love which she never have by a person truly love her is only way can stop her.

So who is going to love her unconditionally when she has no one, even if her mom is alive but it looks like she's not sane either, she's full of guilt just like her.

36 minutes ago, reign143 said:

So who is going to love her unconditionally when she has no one, even if her mom is alive but it looks like she's not sane either, she's full of guilt just like her.

SWH thinks that she's alone in this cruel world. So she hates anyone with a family.. She doesn't know yet that her mom is in somewhere..! She should've find her & then she'll think twice of hating other people unless she hates her mom for abandoning her in her childhood...! :o

But then again, as you said, it's hard to think who's gonna love her unconditionally to replace all her utmost anger...!! :huh:

17 minutes ago, reign143 said:

I agree love  unconditionally? She has big  problem understand  the meaning of love and human  connected,

She feeled  betrayed and sad that the helper trick her and said to her that she monster and he has no regret than the fact he should killed  her !! Really he was with you for 25 years  he feeled  guilty  and tried  to help you , you just make him suffer but he still Till  he go to jail  has only  your  safety and  protect  you as his only goal  even when he saved  da-il  back than , even when search  yw  to give you her body 

and she just let him stay in jail  not caring  what happened  to him as long as she human now and can use other human not just him, 

She could  walk free there as we saw , she could also save him 

You see what I mean she has problems with loving system, no matter what you do to her it not enough, one mistake  , one disapprove abs she  live  in victim  mind and  panish  him with death ( she thinks now  loyalty, trust, faith and love should be giving  to her all the time and don't think she should give some of it back)

So I dont  know what kind of unconditionally love that can stop her, even if you find someone  give her love the problem that she understand  love that you should  agree with her in everything, it late to feel guilty  now 

More than love she most have weakness  from the time she was innocent  child is don't if mother or da-il  or another really brother or  whatever  she need to lose her reason 

Me of wished  she just giving punishments from her same evil power ( there a price even for human body to have that much evil soul) 

But 

1 hour ago, hugo10 said:

Yeah, i think make her feeling the love which she never have by a person truly love her is only way can stop her.

I understand  what you mean and your wish here, I hope it can happen too , I thought so are first but after what happened to the helper  I don't see her have any  ability  to see love no matter how much you give her , she so far now .

4 minutes ago, nona88 said:

I am talking about Korea not other place as much you saw that they have old fashion door and locked  there many dramas  show the new houses with auto lock and they have no chain actually when I talked about why they use the chain for like talken  to someone or paying  money  I wasn't  talking about my personal life as I said I don't use the chain even, but I was talking about what I saw in Korean dramas  , and if that not a old house  or normal people  old fashion  house than you should most of the house in Korea have auto lock especially in apartment's since it come with the building rules now , as I said besides  the old house and building most use auto lock now ( and I am talking about Korea again ) 

Sorry if you misunderstanding my post but that what I was talking about and side note I didn't get what you mean bringing on Brookland??just saying different place have different  use ?? Anyway I don't know what happened in all the world  but I am talking about what I know 

First of all you have the right to think what you want but for me I don't think it so important to talk  about that so much I enjoyed  the scene so much didn't find it wrong or strange even in logic eyes  not romance  fan and I just was interesting to help you understand the other logic  answer  to your problem in that matter and have give my view about different reaction to different situations when no one is more right or more wrong to find fault of it 

So I am not trying to change your mind you also have the right to react different  to the same things even if other don't see what you see just like yw 

So if it still bother you it okay It drama we watch and love so we all accept it and move  on to this week  episodes 

1st paragraph: Sorry, after several reading I am unable to follow the argument presented in the paragraph I italicized.

2nd paragraph: I mentioned Brooklyn to say that the ways doors are secured vary significantly based on geography.  I didn't realize that there are places where the security chains are "decoration" and not used to secure the  entrance.  As someone who has lived in a city for most of my life, opening a door without engaging a chain after an attempted break-in, without first using a peephole (if one had one) seems rash and foolhardy and took me out of the verisimilitude of the scene. 

From the response of the some commenters my pointing out that this behavior seems like not the smartest way to act has somehow ????? done ????something???? (i'm not sure what) to their experience of the scene. 

Yeolwool's behavior looks poorly considered from the perspective of someone living in an metropolitan area in the United States. But as I said this drama was created with me in mind.  I just hopped on the the ride.  Seoul has a reputation of being one of the safest cities in the world so maybe that's how they do doors there.

Thank you for offering permission for me to think as I think.  I respect your right not to be bother by the unchained door.  Since this is an open forum of one hopes that all experiences and perspectives are welcomed and that it is possible to share varying response to the drama without forum members feeling  that their beloved drama is being attacked.  I don't have time to waste on dramas I don't like.  However liking a drama doesn't mean I leave my critical thinking ability behind. Actually that is the reason I watch drama--to think about different aspects of a the creative process not the fangirl over the product. I'm not here to change folks minds and I'm not here to be a part of a consensus that I don't agree with.  I will continue to write about what I find interesting until I'm explored the subject to my satisfaction --or until a moderator decide to censor me.

Despite what folks might think, I am not bashing the drama.  I am watching and enjoying a different drama than the romantics seem to  be doing--and I assume that is permitted. 

Thank you for trying to help me understand the other perspective on how locks work in other places in the world.  I have acknowledged the validity of other perspectives on the use of chains on locks. With the new information her not using the chain makes sense intellectually, but it does not make sense to me viscerally.  Didn't even realize that the forum would see what followed the opening of the door as being romantically significant as I was caught off guard by how reckless what came before seemed.

I'm done.  But I'll answer anyone who want to discuss door, lock, chains and geography more.

Just want to add something since we talked about the chain lock and how YW seemed reckless by just opening up the door without putting the chain lock first.

Here's how i see it :

The night before YW was super shock because Da Il suddenly disappeared and nowhere to be found. She's been feeling lonely and lost and desperate because of that (she's been reminiscing him and everything they have done together the night before). Then she hear his voice outside her door, and despite the terror that almost happen to her (the man who tried to break into her house), she open the door without thinking, because she was just so desperate to see if it is him. That's how i see it. Yes it may look stupid, but a person in love doesn't always able to think straight or logical IMO :grimace:

Actually i put a chain lock on my front door mostly for decoration hahaa, i found this vintage chain lock, it's very nice so i just put it up on my door :D .. and It's not common in my country to use chain lock, unless you live in a apartment. Most houses here only use standar keys and locks and that's it. I use my chain lock when i want to let some fresh air in without having to open my door wide.

Just appear and disapper again with my thoughts: the brother is dead (very dead), the dad is dead (also very), mum ran away years before the incident (maybe had to run away; because of the way she is confusing dail with her own son and "taking care" of him, i assume some external reason for her leave), the girl is dead-like (some posessed body richard simmons, but she is dead, maybe when she completes her "mission" or understands reasons why people do shi*t, she will walk to the afterlife), dail is alive (but come on can we say that he is alive like that drugged up?), yeoul is alive (but maybe everyone is alive and she is DEAD?! :D , maybe this is all her dream, she will wake up in a tent on camping and everyone in her dream are the people in the tents next to her:D (this theory might be the most craptastic twist in the entire TV show history)).

God i am tired.

Now, the forum is all about door chains.. :o I agree with you all @hushhh, @nona88 & @kaedechan at the same time...! YES, She should've locked the door, but then it marks that she's in the house at the moment.. And she was desperate to see Da Il in front of her so, she didn't put the chain intentionally so that he can open the door from outside...! :wub: But now, I have another problem in my mind..

As you're saying @hushhh, someone has to sacrifice at the end of the series.! And you say it'll be Kim Gyeol.. But why do I keep thinking that it'll be DA IL..?! :mellow: It doesn't ring a bell, but... SWH was shaking with rage when she found out that the caretaker saved Da Il & hid him somewhere she can't find.. And now she's after him..! She already ordered Kim Gyeol to find Da Il & harm him.. So what if she finds Da Il & really harm him this time..?! Then Yeo Wool'll kill her.. She can fight against the whole world for him :wub:

Just my theory.. Prove me I am wrong, guys...!! :unsure:

And @The_Doctor... counting on your sweet dream. Is it a day dream or a night vision..?! :D

1 hour ago, gm4queen said:

Now, the forum is all about door chains.. :o I agree with you all @hushhh, @nona88 & @kaedechan at the same time...! YES, She should've locked the door, but then it marks that she's in the house at the moment.. And she was desperate to see Da Il in front of her so, she didn't put the chain intentionally so that he can open the door from outside...! :wub: But now, I have another problem in my mind..

As you're saying @hushhh, someone has to sacrifice at the end of the series.! And you say it'll be Kim Gyeol.. But why do I keep thinking that it'll be DA IL..?! :mellow: It doesn't ring a bell, but... SWH was shaking with rage when she found out that the caretaker saved Da Il & hid him somewhere she can't find.. And now she's after him..! She already ordered Kim Gyeol to find Da Il & harm him.. So what if she finds Da Il & really harm him this time..?! Then Yeo Wool'll kill her.. She can fight against the whole world for him :wub:

Just my theory.. Prove me I am wrong, guys...!! :unsure:

And @The_Doctor... counting on your sweet dream. Is it a day dream or a night vision..?! :D

I think there will be a blood sacrifice as a way of sucker-punching the audience emotionally.

I don't think I said it would be Kim Gyeol.  If I did that was a typo.  Sacrificial lambs in dramas have to be good or working for the greater good.  If they are bad, their death looks like justice, not a sacrifice. They had to have been someone the the audience cares about to achieve some kind of emotional climax. 

I don't think Gyeol fits that profile, mostly because I don't connect with him.

I've said a couple of times that I think Detective Park will be sacrificed to create an emotional climax.  Sang Sub is another possible candidate for sacrifice.  I love Chae-Won but she isn't sentimental and her dying won't create the emotional resonance that Park or Sang-Sub's death would.  If they just want to kill random people they can kill Lawyer Baek.

The writer can kill anyone she wants.  But I don't think it will be Da-Il.  If his condition changes in a direction that warrantees his death then the writer would have earned the right to kill Da-Il.   But she has already "killed" him so why bother doing it again. 

If there is a significant death I suspect it the happen in the penultimate week and it will raise the stakes and increase the urgency for the Scoobies to stop RedLady. If it is Da-Il it could probably only happen in the last half hour of the series, if that early.

While no human being is disposable, characters in dramas can be.  I think Gyeol is somewhat disposal.  As he is right now his death wouldn't cause a tectonic shift. Sang Sub death now would. Detective Park's death in a few more week will.  While this drama has a relatively high body count, it is of "day players" not the core group. No one the audience knows well has died.  Da-il's mother, YiRang, the nursery teacher and the principle the audience didn't know them well. Da-Il's mother and YiRang we feel we know, but we actually only know them through their connection to their son and daughter, respectively. The nurse we knew better but didn't like.

I have no idea what with happen.  My opinions are based on generalized narrative structure and how stories are usually put together. So who knows what will happen.  I don't.

2 hours ago, gm4queen said:

someone has to sacrifice at the end of the series.! And you say it'll be Kim Gyeol.. But why do I keep thinking that it'll be DA IL..?! :mellow:

Oh, I hope that won't happen. It'll be so cruel both for the character and the viewers. Actually, the more I think about what could possibly affect SWH, the more her mom seems perfect for the job. If her mom would try to protect SWH and die in the process or if SWH presented her with the same choice as the other and mom chose to die for her, I think that might somewhat shake her up a bit. I mean that's the whole point - no one has ever sacrificed for her. She tested her dad and even he chose to live and let her die, so maybe if the mom will sacrifice herself for SWH this might be the breaking point. If she didn't feel anything even when killing the caretaker then the only people she might still somewhat care about are the people from her past and the only one alive is her mom.

41 minutes ago, hushhh said:

The writer can kill anyone she wants.  But I don't think it will be Da-Il.  If his condition changes in a direction that warrantees his death then the writer would have earned the right to kill Da-Il.   But she has already "killed" him so why bother doing it again.

She's tried to kill him but couldn't succeed..! And she knows that Da Il is her biggest obstacle in order to reach Yeo Wool..! :unsure: And she knows that he protects her.. That's why I said it. But, who knows..?! This is a unique drama that no one can predict the next move..! :(

I wonder if SWH brother is really dead, coz they really didn't show that the brother took the poison, it's only the father and her, there's only 2 colas there. So maybe just maybe he's alive and that would be Da Il? Maybe there's a twist? I know it's farfetched but anything can happen.

I hoping here  for them to get da-il  body before  swh find him, don't tell me about the writer kill da-il  make us suffer  between life and death guess for 5 weeks  and bring him back with hope  and  romance to kill him or kill yw off  in the end :heartbreak::bawling:

I guess I agree with the fact and what you said  if they going to kill someone beside  the leads to have emotional  impact then it will be hyung or the police  officer 

But no why more killing we had so much  pain  and losing from episode 1 to 3 we lived more than suffering seeing who were killed  only in this 3 eps 

I like the police  officer  I want him find happiness he a good man to lose even his life  but in the same time I don't any harm happening to hyung  too he the closed family like to da-il  and yw  , especially da-il  that man suffer  enough  most of his life not anymore  not his hyung; he lost it when hyung was  in danger before  , he can't handle  more guilty of not saving a family  again :bawling:

Now I am worry not only for da-il  and yw  life but for everyone :dissapointed_relieved: when the Wednesday coming !!! 

44 minutes ago, gm4queen said:

She's tried to kill him but couldn't succeed..! And she knows that Da Il is her biggest obstacle in order to reach Yeo Wool..! :unsure: And she knows that he protects her.. That's why I said it. But, who knows..?! This is a unique drama that no one can predict the next move..! :(

Who is your she?  Is "she" RedLady or is "she" the writer?

I was writing about the writer/creative team, not a character.

It is my belief that the purpose of dramas is to make the audience suffer. 

Even rom-coms need a touch of suffering to work.  

A good writer creates characters audience can and do love and then the writer torture the character and the audience by extension.

I don't know any good dramas that don't cause a level of second hurt on behalf of characters.  Even in comedies watching character you care about humiliating themselves is painful.

I never quite understand when people want the complications to be resolved by week two.  I never understood what they thought would happen after that.

The more you feel for a character both joy and pain, the more successful the writer has been.

My Mister was a gloomfest. Talk about torturing characters. However because of the magnitude of suffering every little ray of sunshine lifted the spirits high.

While many in the forum lamented, Da-il's death didn't really matter much to me since the character remained and he didn't seem particularly bothered about being dead--expect that he was hungry and couldn't figure out how to eat. Or when he had problem communicating idea.  

Aside: that's the worse ghost life depiction ever.  Da-Il runs around and gets tired and hungry. He has to run from place to place.  What's the point in being a "ghost" if you are going to get tired as if you are alive.

There is no guarantee that someone will die. They may all live to be in the sequel.  Not that anyone said there would be a sequel, but . . . 

46 minutes ago, nona88 said:

I hoping here  for them to get da-il  body before  swh find him, don't tell me about the writer kill da-il  make us suffer  between life and death guess for 5 weeks  and bring him back with hope  and  romance to kill him or kill yw off  in the end :heartbreak::bawling:

I guess I agree with the fact and what you said  if they going to kill someone beside  the leads to have emotional  impact then it will be hyung or the police  officer 

But no why more killing we had so much  pain  and losing from episode 1 to 3 we lived more than suffering seeing who were killed  only in this 3 eps 

I like the police  officer  I want him find happiness he a good man to lose even his life  but in the same time I don't any harm happening to hyung  too he the closed family like to da-il  and yw  , especially da-il  that man suffer  enough  most of his life not anymore  not his hyung; he lost it when hyung was  in danger before  , he can't handle  more guilty of not saving a family  again :bawling:

Now I am worry not only for da-il  and yw  life but for everyone :dissapointed_relieved: when the Wednesday coming !!! 

I agree with you dear...! We don't want more murders here...! I just said what I felt before about Da Il & I know it's stupid.. :blink: And hyung has to live, since he's one of my fav characters in the show..! And he's the life of the series..!! :wub: And the police officer is kind of arrogant so, I don't care for him.. He only knows how to yell at girls.!! :angry: AND YES.. WEDNESDAY IS A DREAM NOW :kiss_wink:

7 minutes ago, hushhh said:

Who is your she?  Is "she" RedLady or is "she" the writer?

I was writing about the writer/creative team, not a character.

I meant SWH - the lady in red...!

And I just forgot to mention here...!!

43302777_2070621253249410_57265462873612

43274546_2070621203249415_70743451426808

43185829_2070621329916069_25912274154810

Hey you, love birds..!! :love:  You should be extra careful now....!!!!

Guys, do you all notice this drama always came out Number 4? Da II's Mon house address is 14-4, YW house address is 401 and the house address they are looking SWH's mon is 14-1. Izzit I think too much or just a coincidence... 

PS: I love the hug scene so much!! :heart: And keep abuse the reply button! :joy:
@gm4queen Our love birds is in love air now.. Please forgive them :joy: I wonder what is Da II response. .. Btw Daniel did a very passionate kiss at another drama too. "The Musical". Not with the main actress but with his ex.. Go check out. :smirk:

51 minutes ago, Heidi Seow said:

Guys, do you all notice this drama always came out Number 4? Da II's Mon house address is 14-4, YW house address is 401 and the house address they are looking SWH's mon is 14-1. Izzit I think too much or just a coincidence... 

PS: I love the hug scene so much!! :heart: And keep abuse the reply button! :joy:
@gm4queen Our love birds is in love air now.. Please forgive them :joy: I wonder what is Da II response. .. Btw Daniel did a very passionate kiss at another drama too. "The Musical". Not with the main actress but with his ex.. Go check out. :smirk:

Oh YES dear...!! I've seen that KISS... But I can't completely watch it...!! He was so passionate to handle  :love: And who knows what we've got here...?! He he... Now that she hugged him so deeply, I am dreaming of she kisses him so deeply..!! Her hug on him just made me provoked in a huge way...!! My naughty mind, actually :tounge_wink:

And what's all about number 4..?! Does it has something to do with Korean military service or something..?! Yeah, should check it out!

AND WHAT..?! Da il's mom's house is 14-4 & SWH's mom's house is 14-1..?! Only 3 houses apart :open_mouth:

1 hour ago, Heidi Seow said:

Oh, I didn't notice that. You're very attentive to details. :thumbsup: Maybe it has something to do with the fact that number 4 is the unlucky number in Korea much like 13 in other countries.

Four has been deemed unlucky in Korea because it sounds like the Chinese word for “death.” (This refers to four in Sino-Korean numbers, which is 사  and is pronounced “sah.”) Four is also considered unlucky in China and Japan as well.

So why should you know this? Well, it will help you understand why certain buildings in Korea don’t have a “fourth” floor. And it might be best to avoid groupings of things in fours, like when you’re giving gifts. Not to mention it might win you something in trivia someday.

source: https://thekoreanway.wordpress.com/2011/06/30/do-you-know-koreas-unlucky-number/

21 minutes ago, nateko said:

Oh, I didn't notice that. You're very attentive to details. :thumbsup: Maybe it has something to do with the fact that number 4 is the unlucky number in Korea much like 13 in other countries.

source: https://thekoreanway.wordpress.com/2011/06/30/do-you-know-koreas-unlucky-number/

That's it.. Da il's mom's house is 14-4, SWH's mom's house is 14-1 & Yeo Wool's apartment is 401. Then all the three houses has a death :cold_sweat: Da il's mom's, SWH's father (not sure about the house though) & Yeo Wool's sister...! And the other fact is Da Il is wearing the same shirt as a ghost...! Then everyone watching him gets that something's wrong with him... The writer is very intelligent...!! He/she is focusing on every little details..! This series has a huge meaning on everything..!!! :hushed:

Archived