[Drama 2018] Today’s Detective/The Ghost Detective, 오늘의 탐정

larus

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

I think that the title of the drama "The Ghost Detective" means that Choi Daniel is a ghost who is a detective. Don't you agree with me?

Yes... That's the truth.. I 100% agree with you..!!!! But he wasn't a ghost since the beginning of the drama... Later, something came up and he ended up in that position...!!!!!

Anyway, welcome to the thread dear friend...!!!! :thumbsup: I hope you enjoyed the drama so far....!!!!

I've been seeing confusion about how and why Dae Il could sit on chairs but not touch doorknobs. This is my explanation.

I hope it makes things clearer.  :)

DI’s ghostly body is in the third state of matter, or gaseous. (Btw, didn’t you find it odd that this show was created with assistance from the “Ministry of Science and ICT”?)

A MOVING object or body will just go THROUGH him because he’s air, gaseous. That’s why a person could walk through him and the basketball rolled past his leg. He’s like air.

However, a STATIONARY object is solid and immovable. A wall, door, doorknob, chair, bed, and car are solid matter and they’re impenetrable by air and immovable by air.

That’s why he could sit on chairs and not fall through it. The chair is solid. And he could slam on a wall, and his hand wouldn’t go through the wall. The wall is solid. And he couldn’t hold doorknobs or food because they’re solid and he’s air.

I’m guessing that a speeding car will go through him, but he can’t enter a parked car unless the car door is open for him.

source: http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2018/09/17/the-ghost-detective-ep-3-and-4/

8 hours ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

I think that the title of the drama "The Ghost Detective" means that Choi Daniel is a ghost who is a detective. Don't you agree with me?

As for the name, I've also written about it and I can suggest four ways of interpreting that title.

There are four Ghost Detectives here.

1. Lee Da Il because he’s a ghost-apparition of a detective, like you said.

2. Detective Park, because he’s about to start hunting ghost and solving this ghost mystery.

3. The medical officer Chae Won is also a ghost detective because she sees ghosts.

4. And lastly, Yeo Wool because, with the way she doggedly carries on and on about the Woman in Red till she’s dead-tired, she’ll soon turn herself into a ghost. lol. (She's a ghost detective, too, because she's the only one who can actually see, hear and interact with Ghost Detective, Lee Da Il.) :D

Welcome to soompi! 

4 hours ago, packmule3 said:

I've been seeing confusion about how and why Dae Il could sit on chairs but not touch doorknobs. This is my explanation.

I hope it makes things clearer.  :)

DI’s ghostly body is in the third state of matter, or gaseous. (Btw, didn’t you find it odd that this show was created with assistance from the “Ministry of Science and ICT”?)

A MOVING object or body will just go THROUGH him because he’s air, gaseous. That’s why a person could walk through him and the basketball rolled past his leg. He’s like air.

However, a STATIONARY object is solid and immovable. A wall, door, doorknob, chair, bed, and car are solid matter and they’re impenetrable by air and immovable by air.

That’s why he could sit on chairs and not fall through it. The chair is solid. And he could slam on a wall, and his hand wouldn’t go through the wall. The wall is solid. And he couldn’t hold doorknobs or food because they’re solid and he’s air.

I’m guessing that a speeding car will go through him, but he can’t enter a parked car unless the car door is open for him.

source: http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2018/09/17/the-ghost-detective-ep-3-and-4/

As for the name, I've also written about it and I can suggest four ways of interpreting that title.

There are four Ghost Detectives here.

1. Lee Da Il because he’s a ghost-apparition of a detective, like you said.

2. Detective Park, because he’s about to start hunting ghost and solving this ghost mystery.

3. The medical officer Chae Won is also a ghost detective because she sees ghosts.

4. And lastly, Yeo Wool because, with the way she doggedly carries on and on about the Woman in Red till she’s dead-tired, she’ll soon turn herself into a ghost. lol. (She's a ghost detective, too, because she's the only one who can actually see, hear and interact with Ghost Detective, Lee Da Il.) :D

Welcome to soompi! 

I think so too  it was the meaning of ghost detective can be explain  in many meaning as you said , that why no one think before that da-ll will be a ghost :joy:they played with the name at the start and can do that till the end 

I don't know if he will be death or in coma in the end but sure they keep the body not showing teasing the watchers  between the fact he death and he the body we say in Ep2 and between the hope he a life so we can dream of romance  and have hope 

I wish he would be a life in the end, not just cause the romance cause from what I saw just in 4 ep's that man was so good all his life, he face only harsh  life and injustice and suffer so much,but he still choice to be a good person  helping weak and not avoiding danger result,

i want him at least when he find some peace  and happiness  in the end to have that while he a live not just before he have to leave.

5 hours ago, packmule3 said:

I love your explanation because .... believe it or not.... I found this drama 'logical' and in a way 'realistic'.... and thus scarier than, say, the others that are also airing.

On the title though, I am more intrigued with the korean title, which translates to "Today's Detective..." or perhaps "Modern Day Detective"... because the topic of ghosts and spirits aren't part of today's scientific pursuits... hence my weird laugh on the  “Ministry of Science and ICT” detail.

I actually 'rejoiced' when I saw The Woman In Red, not white (so last century ghosting). She would fit as a modern day ghost for being 'instagrammable'... if you know what I mean... Somehow, I see her as the Id (of Id, Ego, and Superego -- the girl splits to three...) because due to some game influence in the past, I've associated Id with red and the superego with black. So... I am expecting to see another one in black....

Or... is it Da-Il The Man In Black? since he wears black...... Oh, well....

1 hour ago, allegramente said:

I love your explanation because .... believe it or not.... I found this drama 'logical' and in a way 'realistic'.... and thus scarier than, say, the others that are also airing.

On the title though, I am more intrigued with the korean title, which translates to "Today's Detective..." or perhaps "Modern Day Detective"... because the topic of ghosts and spirits aren't part of today's scientific pursuits... hence my weird laugh on the  “Ministry of Science and ICT” detail.

I actually 'rejoiced' when I saw The Woman In Red, not white (so last century ghosting). She would fit as a modern day ghost for being 'instagrammable'... if you know what I mean... Somehow, I see her as the Id (of Id, Ego, and Superego -- the girl splits to three...) because due to some game influence in the past, I've associated Id with red and the superego with black. So... I am expecting to see another one in black....

Or... is it Da-Il? since he wears black...... Oh, well....

haha. Da-Il aka Daniel Choi can wear anything (or nothing, doesn't matter to me) and still be a deadly. 

The "Ministry of Science and ICT" did catch me off-guard, too. But since they have their "imprimatur" on the show, I assumed that pesky details like what-can-pass-through-air and what-can't-go-through-walls would have been approved by their people. 

However, I did notice a goof-up. :)  Episode 4 at 42:44.  Da-Il and YeoWool were looking at the old newspaper clippings they posted on the wall. The older detective (I forgot his name) was with them. 

Lee Da-Il said, "Chankaman" or "Wait" because he spotted something unusual. As soon as he said it, the Hyung sat up and said "Wae? Did you find something?" and approached them. --- BUT the Hyung wasn't supposed to hear Lee Da-Il's ghost talking.  

hahaha. 

I think Ghost Detective sounds more mysterious than "Modern Day Detective." As far as I can see, there's not a lot of "modern age" going on in that tiny office Detective Park shares with his superior. Even the computer model looks outdated.

I'm glad to see a few of the SunTaek folks here. 

@nona88, I think he's dead. And I wrote my reasons in my blog. Of course, the writers can always flip this at the end. It's their story after all. As long as his "resurrection" is believable and not contrived to suit fangirls, then I'm fine with it. 

Right now, I'm not feeling romance between him and his sidekick/assistant YeoWool. The other guy, Detective Park, is probably a better match for her -- just because he's alive.

Plus, remember in Episode 4 when Lee Da-Il saw that she had a cut on her hand? He asked her if she was okay, and she looked down at her hand, and said that she was okay. He then pointed out, "I was asking about you, not your hand." 

In contrast, when Detective Park saw her cut hand, he tended to it right away, binding it with his handkerchief (if I remember correctly). Not only that, he subtly coached her on what to say if ever she got questioned about her involvement in the death of the manager. He didn't want her to be dragged through a murder investigation. He said, "You can't endure that." She protested, "Yes, I can," and he answered, "But I don't want you to." 

From that small dialogue, I think we might have to be open to the possibility that the romance being established in this kdrama is between Detective Park and YeoWool, and not Lee Da-Il and YeoWool. :)

I also mentioned it before @packmule3....!!! It's weird to have a ICT connection in a horror drama.... I think we will have a proper scientific meaning very soon on the spotlight...!!!!!

And Da Il specifically can't touch door knobs. I can't think of any reasons... Can you guys...?? But as @packmule3 said, he is untouchable with moving objects & touchable with steady objects....???!! But what about the door knob....?? Still can't figure it out...

And I must say that Daniel is so hot in black...!!!! :love: Isn't he, @allegramente...??!! And also the black color & the grey color are considered as neutral colors with no power.... Maybe that's why they dressed him in a black shirt & a grey pants when he was killed....!!!!!! nice thinking of the production team.....

And is it just me or Da Il & the lady in red are both same in the nature...??!! I mean, they both are considered as ghosts, but not 100% ghosts... They both can grab some people & some stuff.. ( when the lady in red attacks someone she touches their right hand with her right hand. And she was eating a lollipop also in last week! What's with the right hand..?? ) And if she is in the hospital being in a deep sleep, isn't it impossible that Da Il also is in somewhere in a deep sleep or something...??!! I've got a strong feeling about it....

And I still want Da Il & Yeo Wool to fall in love... But who knows..?? Let's see what's next on today....

@gm4queen, It has nothing to do with him being "untouchable" or "touchable." It has something to do with being solid, liquid or gas. lol.

The doorknob is solid.  As a gaseous matter, DI cannot exert pressure on the doorknob to move it.  It's really easy when you try to recall your 3rd grade science lessons on matter. :)

Le Da-Il and the Woman in Red are NOT at all the same. 

The Woman in Red can pick up objects, i.e., the lollipop and the shard of glass that she handed to Da-Il's mom. On the other hand, Da-Il canNOT grasp nor manhandle solid (except for YeoWool and food that's been offered to him). 

Additionally, the Woman in Red has a different temperature from Lee Da-Il.

Remember when the medical officer Chae Won touched the dead dog to see what happened to it before dying? 

She saw two blurry images. One was DI trying to get away from the dog. And the other was the Woman in Red petting the dog. Chae Won was looking UP at the Woman from the dog’s perspective and she FELT the WOMAN’S hand. She snatched her hand away and said in a surprised voice, “Your hand. It’s cold…and burning.” She was referring to Woman. Then she whispered, “What’s this? What were you so scared of?” 

When Chae Won touched the spirit of DI, she did NOT jump back in shock. His face felt neither cold nor burning like that of Woman in Red. 

They also move differently. Le Da-IL has to physically run to get from Point A to Point B while the Woman in Red can vanish from Point A and transport herself to Point B in a flash. 

Lastly, Da-Il seems to possess the power of a poltergeist. When he's angry, he can make things move, shake, collapse, and shatter. Just like what he did to his mother's home in Episode 3. He damaged that property.

The Woman in Red, however, cannot do that. According to Da-Il, she has no power of her own but she can manipulate people's mind -- those weak and dark minds.  

So, no, they're different.  

I really appreciate your ideas on Da Il & The woman in red @packmule3...!! And as you said, the woman in red has no physical power except the mental power of possessing minds... But Da Il has physical powers to damage the surroundings... I bet he doesn't know his true capability yet.... If so he can use it against the woman in red...!! And the doc felt about the woman in red being cold & burning... It's mean that she is a real evil spirit...!! But Da Il is neutral in temperature... Ya ya ya... You are amazing dear.... Then what is she..??!! That's the mystery... Now we just need a nice clue about Da Il... Looks like he isn't completely dead, but in a temporary spirit state...!!

And I really hope that hyung will survive today... He isn't foolish that he listens to the woman in red & follows her demand...!!!!

3 hours ago, gm4queen said:

And I must say that Daniel is so hot in black...!!!! :love: Isn't he, @allegramente...??!! And also the black color & the grey color are considered as neutral colors with no power.... Maybe that's why they dressed him in a black shirt & a grey pants when he was killed....!!!!!! nice thinking of the production team.....

Not only he's cool in black, visually and temperature-wise per Doctor Gil's assessment....

2 hours ago, packmule3 said:

Lastly, Da-Il seems to possess the power of a poltergeist. When he's angry, he can make things move, shake, collapse, and shatter. Just like what he did to his mother's home in Episode 3. He damaged that property.

I know this is a stretch... but at one point I thought perhaps the ministry of science and ict also 'shaped' the power of The Man In Black aka Da-Il. Because he is a "blackbody" of physics, absorber and emitter of radiation over all wavelengths.. thus he lets off such energy when he's angry...

Anyway, when I thought I'd dig a little on these colour palette (there is a poster, I think, which shows Da-Il in black, the woman in red, and Yeo-Wool in white-ish...)...   all intents were thrown out of the window as soon as Subway's green and yellow appeared.... way off tangent...

27 minutes ago, allegramente said:

I know this is a stretch... but at one point I thought perhaps the ministry of science and ict also 'shaped' the power of The Man In Black aka Da-Il. Because he is a "blackbody" of physics, absorber and emitter of radiation over all wavelengths.. thus he lets off such energy when he's angry...

Agree with your theory...

In cultural aspect, black is the symbol of power, elegance, death, evil, and mystery... It perfectly goes with Da Il...!! But in technical aspect, black isn't a color but the absence of visible light...!! We all know that the white light ( sunlight) is a combination of 7 colors as in the rainbow... It's because white contains all wavelengths of visible lights... But it's opposite for the black...!!! In physics, black is the best the best absorber of light, but in thermodynamics it is the best emitter also.... So Da Il is visually off, but he can emit energies which is invisible to others...

And when he was angry at his house, he didn't know that he caused a shake in the environment.!!!! And I would be happy if he use it for the lady in red... But since she is physically powerless, I don't think she can be physically hurt by someone...!! And also I want to know that what made her to hospitalized..??!! Is there any clue I missed..??!!

9 hours ago, packmule3 said:

However, I did notice a goof-up. :)  Episode 4 at 42:44.  Da-Il and YeoWool were looking at the old newspaper clippings they posted on the wall. The older detective (I forgot his name) was with them. 

Lee Da-Il said, "Chankaman" or "Wait" because he spotted something unusual. As soon as he said it, the Hyung sat up and said "Wae? Did you find something?" and approached them. --- BUT the Hyung wasn't supposed to hear Lee Da-Il's ghost talking.  

hahaha

I notice that, that was a cut mistake not part of the drama I  guess; that yw  was supposed to said something before hyung notice ( yes a big mistake like editing mistake when they were in da-il  house and things  start to move there was the scene when yw put her hand to protect her head that was twice  the first one was editing mistake) 

9 hours ago, packmule3 said:

Plus, remember in Episode 4 when Lee Da-Il saw that she had a cut on her hand? He asked her if she was okay, and she looked down at her hand, and said that she was okay. He then pointed out, "I was asking about you, not your hand." 

In contrast, when Detective Park saw her cut hand, he tended to it right away, binding it with his handkerchief (if I remember correctly). Not only that, he subtly coached her on what to say if ever she got questioned about her involvement in the death of the manager. He didn't want her to be dragged through a murder investigation. He said, "You can't endure that." She protested, "Yes, I can," and he answered, "But I don't want you to

I think I see it different; da-il  didn't ask about the small cut in her hands and ask about her cause she was having a bigger cut in her soul.

He ask if she was okay after facing the women in red, facing her sister or the dark version of her sister and hearing out all her own fear that she was the cause of her sister from her , that not easy she didn't believe  her but she was affected it was horrible 

Da-il saw yw  early  shacking in fear and horror  from the idea that she the reason behind her sister death, he know she was weak mentally in that point , so he was worry about her, she always  say it nothing  but he know how hard  and suffering she hide in her soul  so that why he said " I am asking about you " that was more understanding and worring  then her hand cut.

About the police officer  I don't mind him in romance too he good and nice person , but for now yw eyes only in da-il  and her sister case.

8 hours ago, packmule3 said:

gm4queen, It has nothing to do with him being "untouchable" or "touchable." It has something to do with being solid, liquid or gas. lol.

The doorknob is solid.  As a gaseous matter, DI cannot exert pressure on the doorknob to move it.  It's really easy when you try to recall your 3rd grade science lessons on matter. :)

Le Da-Il and the Woman in Red are NOT at all the same. 

The Woman in Red can pick up objects, i.e., the lollipop and the shard of glass that she handed to Da-Il's mom. On the other hand, Da-Il canNOT grasp nor manhandle solid (except for YeoWool and food that's been offered to him

I think it more about believing  in Korea that ghost can't connect  or force himself in human world, door or Windows  isnt about moving  or not moving objects but about  the simple the allowing and not allowing  to come on ,  ghost not supposed  to be allowed , they use human things without changing it in real life but cant eat food not offered  to them cause eating them take their taste away and can't open or get on without permission on places  and maybe it has to do with the fact that da-Il isn't full death yet 

About the women in red she evil spirit now , evil spirit can break the rules it had power to do that.

8 hours ago, packmule3 said:

When Chae Won touched the spirit of DI, she did NOT jump back in shock. His face felt neither cold nor burning like that of Woman in Red. 

They also move differently. Le Da-IL has to physically run to get from Point A to Point B while the Woman in Red can vanish from Point A and transport herself to Point B in a flash. 

The Woman in Red, however, cannot do that. According to Da-Il, she has no power of her own but she can manipulate people's mind -- those weak and dark minds.  

So, no, they're different.  

They different  but we still don't know if women in red really can't move things in her own, she can even go on an out place the things da-Il still can't do , so she maybe  can but she enjoying controlong minds more, 

Da-il getting angry and in hate can make him move and destroy  things that what angry soul can do but it also not a good sign since it also connect  to be turn  to evil soul with hate.

29 minutes ago, nona88 said:

Da-il saw yw  early  shacking in fear and horror  from the idea that she the reason behind her sister death, he know she was weak mentally in that point , so he was worry about her, she always  say it nothing  but he know how hard  and suffering she hide in her soul  so that why he said " I am asking about you " that was more understanding and worring  then her hand cut.

I think that Da Il asked Yeo Wool about her mind & her Soul at the moment... Both were equally hurt because of the lady in red... And Da Il can't physically comfort her even though he wants to do so, b'cause he is a spirit... So the only thing he can do for her is comforting her mentally... And also, at Yeo Wool's apartment he said her that lock the door & don't let anyone in... But she said locking the door can't stop her.. Then Da Il made her remind that the lady in red can't physically hurt people directly, but can posses someone to hurt another one... Da Il totally understand her...!! Poor guy... He is honestly worrying for Yeo Wool, but can't do anything for her... I hope he would find a way quickly..!!

Hello friends...

I think hyung is safe.. Da Il saved him :hushed:.. And Da Il can touch the lady in red... But she can't touch him... She can touch everyone, but she can't touch Da Il, just her hand pass through his body... Then my thoughts are exactly... It gives the perfect explanation for Da Il's existance as a ghost....!!!!!! Da Il can absorb her evilness when he touches her.. Then the people who are possessed by her come back to normal. And Da Il touched her with his both hands to save hyung & when he absorbed all her evilness, she evaporated to the thin air... :hushed: ... Now all I need is eng subs......

1 hour ago, gm4queen said:

Hello friends...

I think hyung is safe.. Da Il saved him :hushed:.. And Da Il can touch the lady in red... But she can't touch him... She can touch everyone, but she can't touch Da Il, just her hand pass through his body... Then my thoughts are exactly... It gives the perfect explanation for Da Il's existance as a ghost....!!!!!! Da Il can absorb her evilness when he touches her.. Then the people who are possessed by her come back to normal. And Da Il touched her with his both hands to save hyung & when he absorbed all her evilness, she evaporated to the thin air... :hushed: ... Now all I need is eng subs......

I think the lady in red is connecting with 1am. she evaporated on 1am. not sure why.

4 hours ago, Heidi Seow said:

I think the lady in red is connecting with 1am. she evaporated on 1am. not sure why.

They explain it, the doctor women explain  that if she a woundering  ghost (a ghost that go out of living person body who is  in coma) then she can't stay  away from her body all the day or she will  die  so maybe her limit  is 1 am.

Edit : some new fact after watching episode 5 :

1. The women in red dress controlling  the man who taking care of her body, I don't know what he did in the past but for sure she taken revenge on him by making him living as her slave he help her and can't even do one move  without her order, he in fear from her but I think he was the one who help her kill da-il  and throw  his body 

2.so I guess I was right the reason for da-ill to not be able to go through  closed windows , doors and well cause he not allowed  to mess with human world without them allowing  him, so he living by human  rules  if it open then you can go on but if that close you can't ( I watched too many ghost series  to be able to guess their so many different  versions of rules)

3.the doctor said that for having the power to break the rules that mean the ghost did something really bad and get stronger  or that he learned  that skill for a price but even in the second choice whatever the ghost use the skill more and pay the price he will trun evill in the end and that not something he can choice to not do , so in the two way he has to be evil spirit to have power I guess the women in red was the second  choice she killing people before their time by making them kill themselves  ( that the worst sins ) as price of her keeping her power or even keep being a wounder  ghost and not die , she maybe give other Souls as price for letting her soul keep staying 

4. With yw  sister boyfriend werid behaviour I guess there connected between people the women in red  killing , it not just random  people, everybody  seem to know something about her or have connecting  to the case or the power till now, the man who helping the women in red seem he was keeping eyes on yw and her sister and da-il and everyone he know yw  sister boyfriend and he say that to her that the two kids meet and the women didnt like that, so I guess they all connected 

5.da-il  seem that he worry so much about Yw  the more she caring for him the more she in  danger and start to show how much he worry about that. 

6.for romance I don't know for superpower drama they giving so much choice they making YW  has so much crismiza with da-il, the cop and now even the new guy who was her sister boyfriend; they making every side of the fans happy  no one ship here not even just two ( I am afraid in end she will just be alone  making her old dream of travelling come true and send all the ships drawing in the occean:joy:

7.I don't know why da-il  get so much pain touching the women on red even she don't know why and she said it her first time she can give pain by touching 

Archived