Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2018] Today’s Detective/ The Ghost Detective 오늘의 탐정

28 minutes ago, gm4queen said:

I don't know if I am breaking the rules here with posting images on the thread....!! But I just found something...

You can post images in this thread. The Soompi rules say that we can post three images the other has to be post under the spoiler box.

One of the mysteries in this show is Lady in red character. We`ll find more information about her in the upcoming episodes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dropping by to join this thread for now.  

This kdrama was a surprise.

At first, I didn't want to watch it because, coupled with "Lovely Horribly," I would have an overload on supernatural subject matter. But after watching the first two episodes, I'm hooked.The quick-thinking detective in this kdrama suits more my taste than the perpetually bedraggled scriptwriter in "Lovely, Horribly."  

Here are knee-jerk reactions to a few elements in the first two episodes. It's going to be an excerpt because I don't want to bore people here. I'm assuming the lurkers here have watched the show (otherwise, why check out the commentaries?) so I'm not going to warn them about spoilers.

1. The song “She.” That was a neat trick. My initial reaction at seeing the feminine-looking hand wiggling in the mud is “OMG. She’s dead!” followed by confusion, “It’s a guy??” and finally, “But who’s the song referring to, then? Who’s ‘She’?”

By the end of Episode 2, there are two plausible women. One is the new female assistant or trainee named Jung Yeo-wool (YW). Choi Daniel’s character, Lee Da Il (DI) promised to help her find her younger sister’s murderer and he’s the kind of person to keep his word.

But the unforgettable woman of the song can also be the ghostly Lady in Red. My bet is on the latter.

The lyrics audible in the kdrama —

She may be the face I can’t forget
The trace of pleasure or regret
May be my treasure or the price I have to pay
She may be the song that summer sings
Maybe the chill that autumn brings
Maybe a hundred different things
Within the measure of a day.

2. The Red Lady. My theory is Lee Da Il has previously encountered this Red Lady. Probably during the suicide of one of his soldiers in the army. She's probably the face he couldn't forget -- like in the song.  

3. Lee Da Il’s involvement in the suicide of his army buddy is suspicious. 

In his conversation with YW regarding her sister’s suicide, he became upset at the pat answers people offer as reason for suicide.

DI: What did the police say?
YW: They told me that people sometime hallucinate or talk nonsense before they die. They investigated everyone who were at the scene, and that woman wasn’t even in the CCTV footage.
DI: Do you believe them?
YW: No, my sister wasn’t mad. She uses sign language when she wishes to tell me something private. It’s just like whispering. She used sign language on purpose.
DI: Why?
YW: She was probably scared of that woman.
DI: First, let’s try to find out what that woman did to your sister. Do you know why your sister might have made that kind of choice?
YW: No, I don’t know anything. All her texts, emails, and social media uploads were all gone. Yi Rang had already deleted everything right before she died.
DI: What was the police’s conclusion?
YW: She was an orphan, had a hearing disability, and didn’t leave behind any will. So they said that she was just sick of life.
DI: (scoffs, and rubs his hands and eyes) What a joke. Nobody has the right to simplify the reason behind anyone’s death so easily like that. (he gazes at her intensely.)

To me, he sounded too aggrieved for somebody who supposedly had "closure" from the end of his lawsuit. 

Also, I don’t know if a mistranslation occurred in the subs, but two things are murky about DI’s involvement in the suicide.

According to his attorney, the same lawyer of kidnapped child, he’s a good man, the type who needs to get to the bottom of things and find out what’s bothering him. In a flashback, it was revealed that he was “Staff Sergeant Lee DA Il who was arrested and fired for revealing classified information.” His long fight in court came to an end two years after he claimed that “Private First Class Kim had committed suicide, and he dug into the cruel treatments in the army and the corruption of the military officials and reveal it to the public which caused a huge social firestorm.”

He was found not guilty and was compensated for having received jail sentence. However, his position in the army couldn’t be reinstated after the suit.

However, when the police detective Park Jung-Dae was researching about him on the internet, he found a report that read, “The gruesome truth behind a soldier’s suicide… Sergeant ‘obeyed orders’ to bully the late Kim.”

So was he personally involved in the harassment that lead to Kim's suicide? Or was he saying that there's endemic and systematic bullying in the military and he had no choice in the matter? Does he feel guilty like YW feels culpable for her sister's suicide?

4. The Chesterfield sofa. It’s funny that DI complains that Mr. Han Sang Seop (SS) his “boss” at the detective agency isn’t meticulous about details (i.e., mixing the books with other things in the moving box).

But there is ONE fine detail that SS insisted on – the Chesterfield sofa.

A Chesterfield sofa is a deep-buttoned leather sofa with the backrest and the arms of equal height. It was popularized by Sigmund Freud and became associated with therapy sessions with a psychoanalyst. When SS uses the sofa as props to set apart their detective agency from an inquiry agency. He wants to evoke the image of a trained observer and psychoanalyst, like Sherlock Holmes, to convince his clients to trust them in their professional service.

It's also hilarious when SS channels Sherlock by wearing a poor imitation of Sherlock’s deerstalker (SS wore a beret) and Sherlock’s calabash pipe. Perhaps then, he does pay attention to details, but only those he considers important.

I also laughed when he mispronounced Benedict Cumberbatch’s name as Cumber-*** Good adlib! 

5. Lee Da-Il is the Korean version of Sherlock Holmes. At first, the dizzying speed of his deduction is hard to keep up with. Now, I just playback what he says.

For instance, how did he recognize Lee Chan Mi and why did he suspect her?

When he entered that suffocating bedroom/laundry room of Lee Chan Mi, he didn’t know who she was until he read the name of her logbook/diary. Remember? She consulted it to check the day when the dog BoRi. She said the dog disappeared a day before the two kids disappeared. However, when DI observed her clothes, she had dog hair on the pocket of her pants and on her shoes.

Those couldn’t have been old clothes she was wearing because 1) the kindergarten director was very particular about neatness, and 2) she herself was very neat and she kept her room spick and span. This meant that she was lying and had seen the dog recently.

Also, she was caught in the kindergarten’s CCTV dozing off in the children’s room. Per DI, she was setting up an alibi during the times of the abduction. Since she lived in the premises, she could have easily gone back to her bedroom to sleep. Instead she chose to nap in front of the cameras.

Not only that, she had gotten rid of BoRi’s water and food dishes. BoRi was known to go in and out of her doghouse by going under the fence. When she removed the dishes, she inadvertently revealed that she knew that BoRi was being kept someplace else where she visited him regularly (the dog hair).

See that? I had to rewatch the scenes to catch on to what DI was talking about. I think the director could have done a better editing here.

6. Detectives or Private Investigators. Here’s an article about the recent court ruling on private investigators which was mentioned a couple of times in this kdrama.

The rest of my review is here: http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2018/09/11/the-ghost-detective-eps-1-2-with-spoilers/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

@packmule3, I couldn’t help but laugh when he said something like Benedict Cumberbatch was ugly and good looking. I wasn’t sure if I should be offended or not. lol Anyway, nice post. Da II does indeed remind me somewhat of Sherlock as played by Cumberbatch. I sometimes wonder why Poirot is not popular too. I suppose Sherlock came first though.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Looks like we have so many clues in today's eps..... Da Il is really dead.... It's his ghost that popped out of the mud & was looking at his own body... And he was killed b'cause of the lady in red.... He tells everything to Yeo Wool....!!!! And later we get know that even Da Il's mom was killed by the lady in red....!!!! Da Il didn't know it back then... But now Da Il can feel the lady in red's presence...!!! Woah!!! Everything is nicely combined... And I guess the lady in red is the one who is in coma.... And her spirit is wandering everywhere.... Very Bad actually :o Now I need eng subs...!!!!!!!! I am even more interested in the plot now :hushed:

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, gm4queen said:

Looks like we have so many clues in today's eps..... Da Il is really dead.... It's his ghost that popped out of the mud & was looking at his own body... And he was killed b'cause of the lady in red.... He tells everything to Yeo Wool....!!!! And later we get know that even Da Il's mom was killed by the lady in red....!!!! Da Il didn't know it back then... But now Da Il can feel the lady in red's presence...!!! Woah!!! Everything is nicely combined... And I guess the lady in red is the one who is in coma.... And her spirit is wandering everywhere.... Very Bad actually :o Now I need eng subs...!!!!!!!! I am even more interested in the plot now :hushed:

His mum is dead too. By the same woman?

What actually happened to her? Why is she slaughtering people like chicken?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gm4queen said:

What? I hope she dies. She’s killing people while she herself is “alive” and in a coma? Whatever grudge she might have, I’m sure YW’s sister wasn’t a part of it.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, darr said:

His mum is dead too. By the same woman?

What actually happened to her? Why is she slaughtering people like chicken?

Yes... she did the same thing with Da Il's old mom and I think she committed suicide....

7 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

What? I hope she dies. She’s killing people while she herself is “alive” and in a coma? Whatever grudge she might have, I’m sure YW’s sister wasn’t a part of it.

Not exactly... Yeo Wool's sis might have something to do with it... Her ear piece looks strange... Looks like it gives Yeo Wool all the past flashbacks of all the people deceased by the lady in red... I am not exactly sure.... Need eng subs to fully understand...!!!!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I just finish watching  episode 3 wow more questions okay it spoiler  for people who still didn't watch it 

Spoiler

1. YW  know that DA was  death from the moment she saw him in front of the house as we thought but not cause she can see ghost but since the ball cross through him, but I have the same question DA  asked how could she actually act grasp the situation so fast  when she didn't deal with ghosts before as she said herself!!! She so clam about that Is she hidden something?? cause we clear see her in Ep 1  fearing  something, known that something  had happened to DA and have dreams??? Maybe she didn't see ghosts before but the amount okaness she is  after meeting one and act quickly to that mean something  is still messing , I don't know if she hidden something or simply she has being hunted  all her life by werid  things even if she wasn't sure!!! Or she just so much on shock from what happens with her sister and what she saw that day that she already have accepted this things before meeting DA 

2.wow the women in red dress, I don't know her story and  why she on coma? Or whatever hell  she maybe lived,  but to think that she has the right to  play with people feeling to make them kill themselves was a evil and unforgivable to began with but it totally a different  level that she did with YW sister and DA mother she forced  them to kill themself  even when they didn't fall for her play she threat them to kill themself, she could say before she just helping  people who wanted to die  and it their wishes since they were suffering so much ( and that itself  not right) but she clearly aware  of what she doing she know that it just a game to her she wanted  them death  for some reason that benefit her no matter if they choice to die or not  in the end, they don't have the choice even if they did choice to not listen to their suffering and fears and her posion words, it like she can't accept  losing , don't accept that their  people who has the willing  to live no matter what they going through and that they have faith and love in someone.

3.no idea why DA can be seeing by YW and touch  her, according to YW she didn't have that ability  before so maybe it connect to the fact that DA promised to help her, or the fact that both of them was rare cases of the women in red dress, till now they both saw her when she killed their family ( that not the case gor every victims family) their family didn't fall for that women but dies cause they were trying to protect  them , I don't know what happen to the souls of people who fall for that women maybe they bevome avenger souls  like she make with them a deal if they killed themself she will kill the people who hurt them thar why she after thus people'

But Da mother and yw  sister  who were different maybe still there protection their love one or that their  love for them gave YW and Da special ability  to fight that women

4.the doctor have ability too , so many in this drama, she maybe can't see ghost but for now we know she can see the memory  of death one 

So many questions  I like this drama so far it so interesting and the acting  and direction are great, about DA he saw his body but his hand was out , he get his hand out by himself ( he dag it out, I think he was buried  a life ) so or he was trying to save himself but failed and die and that when his soul become a ghost or maybe his soul  go out of his body cause lack  of air  to the brain, he maybe  a brain death and after he left there someone saved his body.

so Iwill think he maybe still a life , till they show his body with his face but it okay if he death too that will be the story .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

i watched ep 3, and i believe there are rare inborn supernatural people in the drama.

Da-il, Yeo-wool, Woo-hye (woman in red dress), and Chae-won (autopsy doctor) are the rare people who are born with supernatural powers, though it seems they need to experience "big changes" (death, near-death, big trauma, etc.) for them to find their powers and able to use them.

also, i think it's genetic, so Da-il's mother and Yeo-wool's sister also had supernatural power, therefore they didn't completely fall for woman in red dress's tricks.

i bet their powers come from their own "souls" and that's why it's easier for woman in red dress and Da-il, who are literally souls (ghosts), to use their powers. 

i love supernatural dramas, so i'm excited for the superpowers to come into play!

• Like 3

I want to like this show because, hey, Choi Daniel.

And I do Not like it because, hey, Dead.

Yeah, I am still angry about that.

I am forcing myself to watch today's episode and I am grinding my teeth.  Will try to stick with this drama but no promises.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thistle said:

want to like this show because, hey, Choi Daniel.

And I do Not like it because, hey, Dead.

i kinda like it because it's fresh start.

the male lead dead by ep 2, but he's still the main lead and has superpower. oh, and he still can interact with female lead, so romance can still happen! can we get a kiss scene?

anyway, since woman in red dress is still alive, there could be still a chance that Da-il is also still alive.

his physical body seems to be in the place where it could be easily found (Da-il easily found people passing him by after he "woke up" as a ghost), and his hand is not covered up, so somebody could notice it and call police/ambulance.

just like any kdramas, he could have ended up miraculously alive in a vegetative state like the woman in red dress.

both Da-il and Yeo-wool can see ghosts (woman in red dress), but they never saw ghosts of mother or sister. 

it could be mean "ghost" is a soul with semi-dead body (in a vegetative state). the body is too weak to keep the soul inside the body, but still it's semi-alive enough for soul to stay on earth.

oh, and Da-il can still feel hunger as a ghost, so it could be another hint that he might be still alive.

well, i kinda hope he's still alive, but i would be fine if he stays dead. we still could have season 2 with him as a ghost. lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mxmix said:

i kinda like it because it's fresh start.

the male lead dead by ep 2, but he's still the main lead and has superpower. oh, and he still can interact with female lead, so romance can still happen! can we get a kiss scene?

anyway, since woman in red dress is still alive, there could be still a chance that Da-il is also still alive.

his physical body seems to be in the place where it could be easily found (Da-il easily found people passing him by after he "woke up" as a ghost), and his hand is not covered up, so somebody could notice it and call police/ambulance.

just like any kdramas, he could have ended up miraculously alive in a vegetative state like the woman in red dress.

both Da-il and Yeo-wool can see ghosts (woman in red dress), but they never saw ghosts of mother or sister. 

it could be mean "ghost" is a soul with semi-dead body (in a vegetative state). too weak to stay in the body but still semi-alive enough to stay in earth.

oh, and Da-il can still feel hunger as a ghost, so it could be another hint that he might be still alive.

well, i kinda hope he's still alive, but i would be fine if he stays dead. we still could have season 2 with him as a ghost. lol

Of course we will get any romance b'cause they two can touch each other.... :D. As you said, Da Il can feel the pain, feel the touch & even feel the hunger, so he sure can be a human again, can't he...?? Maybe when they find about the truth of the lady in red & vanish her evil soul, he will be a human again....??!! So many things to happen.... Da Il can't touch the door but he can hit his head against the door.... :o... What a magic...????? I think he is also semi-transferred just like the lady in red.... :huh:

The biggest advantage of Da Il becoming a ghost is now he can feel every thing about the lady in red.... Her voice, her presence & even her next target...!!!!!! If he's not a ghost, but a human being, he can't feel those things & it would be so insecure for both of them.... And the lady in red is in coma.... I am not sure whether it's her soul or her mind that wandering around...!! She said that she lost her father at the age of 12.... Later she was disguised as a 12 yrs old girl.... There is probably some kind of anger in her mind so her mind is working evil in the deep sleep... Looks like she's been hurt or something & that's why she wants to revenge... Maybe she was a weak person herself & hence she's attacking weak people to get revenge... But we still don't know the reason for her to be in a coma.... Hope we will find out it soon.... And the autopsy doctor can read dead one's mind and see the flashbacks.... She asked the dog that "What made you so scared...??" That means that even the dog committed suicide b'cause it was sacred of the lady in red...??!! It's still a mystery that how that innocent animal died....

And speaking of the leads, Daniel & Eun Bin are doing a great job here.... They two fit their characters perfectly.!!!!!!! And now I really have a hope for a romance between them..!!!!! :wub: The story is unfolding in a great way.... Hope we can get more on today's eps...!!!!!!!!

• Like 10

OY I'm gettin' more & more goosebumps with each ep. :crazy::tears:

So the Lady in Red is in a coma... And the autopsy doc is.. A ghost whisperer-cum-psychic geez LoL. If ghosts look anything like Da-Ill I don't mind bein' haunted by him! :w00t:

I felt really sad with the flashbacks on both Da-Ill's Mom & Yeo-Eul's sis 'cause I can relate to what it's like to be a caregiver. It's a tough responsibility & I've such dark thoughts as well.. We're only human after all (sigh) 

Too many strange incidents in ep. 5-6. The supernatural freaked me out more than what was goin' on so it was hard to concentrate ha-ha. 

• Like 4

The hearing aid is strange... How come it makes them hear all the tragedies done by the lady in red...??!! What is the connection of the hearing aid with the lady in red..???!! It only works in those places where the tragedies happen... And it only works for Yeo Wool... Da Il can't hear anything with it... And the lady in red must have a supernatural mind... Otherwise how can she do all those evil things in a coma like state...??!! This is so interesting........ :o And even more scaringgggggg...!!!!!!!!! :unsure: Hope to know more about them....

• Like 9

Oh boy, the level of creepy in episodes 5 & 6 skyrocketed. @gm4queen, I agree with your speculation about the lady in red. I feel like she’s an angry spirit or something like it. Perhaps she also tried to commit suicide for some reason or other. Still, in the end I hope she’s punished for causing the deaths of other people. Since it’s a supernatural show, of course I mean punished supernaturally. I don’t think her crimes can be punished in the mortal world. I do wonder though if there’s more to this and it’s a spirit that really takes the lady in the hospital form or is it really her. 

I saw in the preview for today’s episodes that hyung mentioned finding Da II’s body. Why doesn’t Da II tell him? I’m sure he remembers the area where he came out of the grave. I do wonder however if when they find his body if he will still linger or disappear. He doesn’t seem to know why he’s still here but maybe it’s to settle debts. I continue to find it weird that Da II can touch YW to the point that he even catches her when she fainted. However, the lady in red can also touch her. 

The coroner has a special ability. No wonder she’s so comfortable with dead bodies. She doesn’t seem scared either seeing the visions of how the dog died. She saw the lady in red so I guess if in passing the detective talks about it, she can say she saw that lady too if she doesn’t dismiss the vision.

• Like 4

Gosh ep 5&6 were scary, it's creepy ottokeeee but I like Daniel and Eunbin interaction their dynamics when finding the case, and wow Daniel has powers when he gets mad, did I miss it? Who killed da il the teacher or the principal? And now that the principal was dead who's next, and the lady in red I think she has powers too how could she do that when she's in coma, I wonder if the guy who came at the hospital was the reason why she's in coma. So many questions.

• Like 3