[Drama 2018] Today’s Detective/The Ghost Detective, 오늘의 탐정

larus

Aww so he's really dead ottoke? Will there be a twist again at the end maybe he's really not dead but in coma? But if he's really dead till the end the ending would be predictable already, he will stay until they found out about that lady ghost then part ways with eunbin, so sad :(

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A ghost that can eat?

A ghost that can be touched?

Is that one a ghost?

Till I see today's episode. As much as I love choi Daniel if my judgemental mind can't accept some of the developments like the two I mentioned without reasonable explanations for them, I will drop the drama. There must be an explanation why he is eating and feel pain when he was flipped

2 hours ago, darr said:

A ghost that can eat?

A ghost that can be touched?

Is that one a ghost?

Till I see today's episode. As much as I love choi Daniel if my judgemental mind can't accept some of the developments like the two I mentioned without reasonable explanations for them, I will drop the drama. There must be an explanation why he is eating and feel pain when he was flipped

It;s your choice to drop the drama or not... But you should watch it if you are a true Choi Daniel fan!!!!!! This is his best performance so far.... No doubt about that!!!!!! Plus, I never thought he would be this hot with the facial hair :love:....

And Da Il can touch, feel the pain, eat & etc..... It would have a nice explanation... Maybe hyung knows that he is a ghost, but he is acting as if he doesn't know...!! I really miss the Da Il & hyung duo now.... How can the writer give them to us and take them back at the same time...??!! Hyung said that Da Il is special... And Da Il has special abilities.... Maybe this is one of them...!! I bet both Da Il & hyung can see each other... But they act like they are not... This definitely must be their plan or something to trick the lady in red...!!! I am very hooked to this drama right now....!! :thumbsup:

51 minutes ago, gm4queen said:

It;s your choice to drop the drama or not... But you should watch it if you are a true Choi Daniel fan!!!!!! This is his best performance so far.... No doubt about that!!!!!! Plus, I never thought he would be this hot with the facial hair :love:....

And Da Il can touch, feel the pain, eat & etc..... It would have a nice explanation... Maybe hyung knows that he is a ghost, but he is acting as if he doesn't know...!! I really miss the Da Il & hyung duo now.... How can the writer give them to us and take them back at the same time...??!! Hyung said that Da Il is special... And Da Il has special abilities.... Maybe this is one of them...!! I bet both Da Il & hyung can see each other... But they act like they are not... This definitely must be their plan or something to trick the lady in red...!!! I am very hooked to this drama right now....!! :thumbsup:

My dear, easy.

I don't watch dramas cos I'm somebody's fan. I watch dramas based on good script and good acting.  I'm also not a fan of anybody. Dont do fan stuff. I can like u based on physical and acting quality and want to know u more or just simply like u. If u picked a work I don't resonate well with, I can cheer you from afar. Doesnt stop me from liking u. I pick and drop dramas with ease. No big deal.

39 minutes ago, darr said:

My dear, easy.

I don't watch dramas cos I'm somebody's fan. I watch dramas based on good script and good acting.  I'm also not a fan of anybody. Dont do fan stuff. I can like u based on physical and acting quality and want to know u more or just simply like u. If u picked a work I don't resonate well with, I can cheer you from afar. Doesnt stop me from liking u. I pick and drop dramas with ease. No big deal.

Yes dear... You've made a good point...!! I was regretting b'cause I've watched some useless, pointless & baseless K-dramas in the past few months not dropping them....!!!!! So I must say that this is the drama I am truly enjoying after a long period of pointlesstime....!!!! :) At first, I thought I am gonna drop this, b'cause horror is not my cup of tea.... But now I am ok with it.... :o And as you said it's better be safe and sorry, right...?? Otherwise it would give a endless pain.... I am honestly regretting about the time wasted on watching useless K-dramas lately.... So I really hope this would ease my mind :blush:... I don't know about you, but I like Daniel so much...!!! So i must give this a try...!!! I really love the fact about this drama that we can make various conclusions about what's up next...???!! I think it's very rare in K-dramaland....!!

About him being able to eat the food it's actually pretty easy to explain based on the superstition that Korea and some other countries have. When they have someone's death anniversary they always prepare lots of food and drinks for the dead. I'm not that familiar with the details but basically, they believe that on death anniversary the dead come to visit and can eat food that was left for them. So the main idea - the dead are only able to eat food that was left for them or given to them. This idea was used in Lets fight ghost drama as well. If that is the case, then our dead detective will be able to eat food that YW gives him. 

About the fact that YW can touch him, I don't think it applies only to him but to any other ghost as well. It probably has to do with the fact that she can see ghosts and is thus basically a part of two worlds one being the afterlife or something like that. You can't touch what you believe doesn't exist, but for her ghosts are a reality tightly blended with her own world so maybe that's why she can interact with them like with any other human being. A little sketchy but I'll take it. I was one of those who shipped a robot and a human so a human and a ghost is pff... child's play. 

10 minutes ago, nateko said:

About him being able to eat the food it's actually pretty easy to explain based on the superstition that Korea and some other countries have. When they have someone's death anniversary they always prepare lots of food and drinks for the dead. I'm not that familiar with the details but basically, they believe that on death anniversary the dead come to visit and can eat food that was left for them. So the main idea - the dead are only able to eat food that was left for them or given to them. This idea was used in Lets fight ghost drama as well. If that is the case, then our dead detective will be able to eat food that YW gives him. 

About the fact that YW can touch him, I don't think it applies only to him but to any other ghost as well. It probably has to do with the fact that she can see ghosts and is thus basically a part of two worlds one being the afterlife or something like that. You can't touch what you believe doesn't exist, but for her ghosts are a reality tightly blended with her own world so maybe that's why she can interact with them like with any other human being. A little sketchy but I'll take it. I was one of those who shipped a robot and a human so a human and a ghost is pff... child's play. 

YW saw the red dressed lady, so does the manager,her late sis and Na. Does she have psychic power?  That red lady didn't do anything to her. She isn't afraid of Na who is a ghost and can communicate with him. Who is she really?  She can flip men anyhow.  I will like to know more about her background. Her character is intriguing. 

30 minutes ago, darr said:

YW saw the red dressed lady, so does the manager,her late sis and Na. Does she have psychic power?  That red lady didn't do anything to her. She isn't afraid of Na who is a ghost and can communicate with him. Who is she really?  She can flip men anyhow.  I will like to know more about her background. Her character is intriguing.

I too want to know about her more.... As you said, she flipped Da Il twice & somehow hyung once in the last week's eps.... Girl Power!!! :DAnd we've got to know that she can read other peoples lips, which is a very rare talent... She has her own talent.. In the upcoming eps, she will have to use her all talents to overcome the evil..... She is petite, but energetic...!!!! Waiting for today's eps to know more about everyone....!!!!!!!!!!

Choi Daniel’s Tragic Past Is Revealed In “The Ghost Detective”

by blessedkpop
7d59c2adb7dd4a76922a9717ac4015d7.jpeg?s=

Choi Daniel is broken and devastated in the preview stills of KBS’s “The Ghost Detective.”

The horror drama tells the story of detective Lee Da Il (Choi Daniel), who chases after ghosts, and his energetic assistant Jung Yeo Wool (Park Eun Bin). The two are dragged into a bizarre case as they encounter a mysterious woman called Sun Woo Hye (Lee Ji Ah).

The released photos show Choi Daniel looking shocked and skeptical after witnessing his mother (Ye Soo Jung) lying down in an unconscious state. In particular, his red eyes, constant tears, sadness, and shock all portray his distressed emotions. He tries to raise his mother’s body up as he stares at something. His wide eyes and urgent expression pique curiosity among the viewers.

The production crew hinted, “In today’s episode of ‘The Ghost Detective’, Choi Daniel’s past before he became a detective and his reasons for becoming a detective will be revealed. In particular, Ye Soo Jung acted passionately as his mother. Above all, the high chemistry between the mother and son will make the situation more pitiful and sad for Choi Daniel.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1229171wpp/choi-daniels-tragic-past-revealed-ghost-detective

@gm4queen, YW probably can read lips because her sister was hearing impaired. Maybe she wanted to experience what it was like for her sister and took an interest in learning sign language and reading lips. Hearing impaired individuals probably learn to read lips too. 

Ah, it seems like we’ll be in for a sad episode today with mother and son. :( It will be good to learn more of Da II’s history.

Thank you @larus for the article...... His facial expressions says everything... No need of explanations...!!!! Can't wait for today's eps... And by the way, is the lady in red involved in there also...?? He is looking faraway at something...!! There is something for sure..... looking forward...!! As @celebrianna said, this is gonna be a lot sad....!! :flushed:

4 hours ago, nateko said:

About him being able to eat the food it's actually pretty easy to explain based on the superstition that Korea and some other countries have. When they have someone's death anniversary they always prepare lots of food and drinks for the dead

About a ghost eating... In many cultures (including my contry) there is this superstition. It is a fantasy drama so I guess it can be explained like that but I prefere the funny explanation. The food is so good that even a ghost will eat it. :lol: Now, they have to dress Choi Daniel only in a black shirt for the rest of the drama. Those little details are important. I don`t want to ask why a ghost is changing its outfit. :)

10 hours ago, gm4queen said:

In the pic above you posted, is hyung crying...??? He probably finds about Da Il's death & bust in to tears.... He doesn't even know that he is right in front of him, since he can't see him..

Yes, he is crying because he finds out about his partner and friend`s fate. :( I am sure he will talk with Da Il in the drama even though he can`t see him. In a way we`ll still enjoy this duo on screen.  I`ll take it. It is much better than nothing.

11 minutes ago, gm4queen said:

And by the way, is the lady in red involved in there also...?

I don`t know how Da Il and Lady in red are connected.  I am really curious if there is a link between those two.

Forgive me @larus... I don't know if I am breaking the rules here with posting images on the thread....!! But I just found something... It's a Korean article & I don't understand a word, but there is something more....

41545318_2057714244540111_56546105587253

It looks like the lady in red is going to make her first official appearance tonight.....!!! This is scene which we've gotta know that Da Il is a ghost......!!!!!! She is involved in everywhere with our leads......... :hushed:

28 minutes ago, gm4queen said:

I don't know if I am breaking the rules here with posting images on the thread....!! But I just found something...

You can post images in this thread. The Soompi rules say that we can post three images the other has to be post under the spoiler box.

One of the mysteries in this show is Lady in red character. We`ll find more information about her in the upcoming episodes.

Dropping by to join this thread for now.  

This kdrama was a surprise.

At first, I didn't want to watch it because, coupled with "Lovely Horribly," I would have an overload on supernatural subject matter. But after watching the first two episodes, I'm hooked.The quick-thinking detective in this kdrama suits more my taste than the perpetually bedraggled scriptwriter in "Lovely, Horribly."  

Here are knee-jerk reactions to a few elements in the first two episodes. It's going to be an excerpt because I don't want to bore people here. I'm assuming the lurkers here have watched the show (otherwise, why check out the commentaries?) so I'm not going to warn them about spoilers.

1. The song “She.” That was a neat trick. My initial reaction at seeing the feminine-looking hand wiggling in the mud is “OMG. She’s dead!” followed by confusion, “It’s a guy??” and finally, “But who’s the song referring to, then? Who’s ‘She’?”

By the end of Episode 2, there are two plausible women. One is the new female assistant or trainee named Jung Yeo-wool (YW). Choi Daniel’s character, Lee Da Il (DI) promised to help her find her younger sister’s murderer and he’s the kind of person to keep his word.

But the unforgettable woman of the song can also be the ghostly Lady in Red. My bet is on the latter.

The lyrics audible in the kdrama —

She may be the face I can’t forget
The trace of pleasure or regret
May be my treasure or the price I have to pay
She may be the song that summer sings
Maybe the chill that autumn brings
Maybe a hundred different things
Within the measure of a day.

2. The Red Lady. My theory is Lee Da Il has previously encountered this Red Lady. Probably during the suicide of one of his soldiers in the army. She's probably the face he couldn't forget -- like in the song.  

3. Lee Da Il’s involvement in the suicide of his army buddy is suspicious. 

In his conversation with YW regarding her sister’s suicide, he became upset at the pat answers people offer as reason for suicide.

DI: What did the police say?
YW: They told me that people sometime hallucinate or talk nonsense before they die. They investigated everyone who were at the scene, and that woman wasn’t even in the CCTV footage.
DI: Do you believe them?
YW: No, my sister wasn’t mad. She uses sign language when she wishes to tell me something private. It’s just like whispering. She used sign language on purpose.
DI: Why?
YW: She was probably scared of that woman.
DI: First, let’s try to find out what that woman did to your sister. Do you know why your sister might have made that kind of choice?
YW: No, I don’t know anything. All her texts, emails, and social media uploads were all gone. Yi Rang had already deleted everything right before she died.
DI: What was the police’s conclusion?
YW: She was an orphan, had a hearing disability, and didn’t leave behind any will. So they said that she was just sick of life.
DI: (scoffs, and rubs his hands and eyes) What a joke. Nobody has the right to simplify the reason behind anyone’s death so easily like that. (he gazes at her intensely.)

To me, he sounded too aggrieved for somebody who supposedly had "closure" from the end of his lawsuit. 

Also, I don’t know if a mistranslation occurred in the subs, but two things are murky about DI’s involvement in the suicide.

According to his attorney, the same lawyer of kidnapped child, he’s a good man, the type who needs to get to the bottom of things and find out what’s bothering him. In a flashback, it was revealed that he was “Staff Sergeant Lee DA Il who was arrested and fired for revealing classified information.” His long fight in court came to an end two years after he claimed that “Private First Class Kim had committed suicide, and he dug into the cruel treatments in the army and the corruption of the military officials and reveal it to the public which caused a huge social firestorm.”

He was found not guilty and was compensated for having received jail sentence. However, his position in the army couldn’t be reinstated after the suit.

However, when the police detective Park Jung-Dae was researching about him on the internet, he found a report that read, “The gruesome truth behind a soldier’s suicide… Sergeant ‘obeyed orders’ to bully the late Kim.”

So was he personally involved in the harassment that lead to Kim's suicide? Or was he saying that there's endemic and systematic bullying in the military and he had no choice in the matter? Does he feel guilty like YW feels culpable for her sister's suicide?

4. The Chesterfield sofa. It’s funny that DI complains that Mr. Han Sang Seop (SS) his “boss” at the detective agency isn’t meticulous about details (i.e., mixing the books with other things in the moving box).

But there is ONE fine detail that SS insisted on – the Chesterfield sofa.

A Chesterfield sofa is a deep-buttoned leather sofa with the backrest and the arms of equal height. It was popularized by Sigmund Freud and became associated with therapy sessions with a psychoanalyst. When SS uses the sofa as props to set apart their detective agency from an inquiry agency. He wants to evoke the image of a trained observer and psychoanalyst, like Sherlock Holmes, to convince his clients to trust them in their professional service.

It's also hilarious when SS channels Sherlock by wearing a poor imitation of Sherlock’s deerstalker (SS wore a beret) and Sherlock’s calabash pipe. Perhaps then, he does pay attention to details, but only those he considers important.

I also laughed when he mispronounced Benedict Cumberbatch’s name as Cumber-*** Good adlib! 

5. Lee Da-Il is the Korean version of Sherlock Holmes. At first, the dizzying speed of his deduction is hard to keep up with. Now, I just playback what he says.

For instance, how did he recognize Lee Chan Mi and why did he suspect her?

When he entered that suffocating bedroom/laundry room of Lee Chan Mi, he didn’t know who she was until he read the name of her logbook/diary. Remember? She consulted it to check the day when the dog BoRi. She said the dog disappeared a day before the two kids disappeared. However, when DI observed her clothes, she had dog hair on the pocket of her pants and on her shoes.

Those couldn’t have been old clothes she was wearing because 1) the kindergarten director was very particular about neatness, and 2) she herself was very neat and she kept her room spick and span. This meant that she was lying and had seen the dog recently.

Also, she was caught in the kindergarten’s CCTV dozing off in the children’s room. Per DI, she was setting up an alibi during the times of the abduction. Since she lived in the premises, she could have easily gone back to her bedroom to sleep. Instead she chose to nap in front of the cameras.

Not only that, she had gotten rid of BoRi’s water and food dishes. BoRi was known to go in and out of her doghouse by going under the fence. When she removed the dishes, she inadvertently revealed that she knew that BoRi was being kept someplace else where she visited him regularly (the dog hair).

See that? I had to rewatch the scenes to catch on to what DI was talking about. I think the director could have done a better editing here.

6. Detectives or Private Investigators. Here’s an article about the recent court ruling on private investigators which was mentioned a couple of times in this kdrama.

The rest of my review is here: http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2018/09/11/the-ghost-detective-eps-1-2-with-spoilers/

@packmule3, I couldn’t help but laugh when he said something like Benedict Cumberbatch was ugly and good looking. I wasn’t sure if I should be offended or not. lol Anyway, nice post. Da II does indeed remind me somewhat of Sherlock as played by Cumberbatch. I sometimes wonder why Poirot is not popular too. I suppose Sherlock came first though.

Looks like we have so many clues in today's eps..... Da Il is really dead.... It's his ghost that popped out of the mud & was looking at his own body... And he was killed b'cause of the lady in red.... He tells everything to Yeo Wool....!!!! And later we get know that even Da Il's mom was killed by the lady in red....!!!! Da Il didn't know it back then... But now Da Il can feel the lady in red's presence...!!! Woah!!! Everything is nicely combined... And I guess the lady in red is the one who is in coma.... And her spirit is wandering everywhere.... Very Bad actually :o Now I need eng subs...!!!!!!!! I am even more interested in the plot now :hushed:

42 minutes ago, gm4queen said:

Looks like we have so many clues in today's eps..... Da Il is really dead.... It's his ghost that popped out of the mud & was looking at his own body... And he was killed b'cause of the lady in red.... He tells everything to Yeo Wool....!!!! And later we get know that even Da Il's mom was killed by the lady in red....!!!! Da Il didn't know it back then... But now Da Il can feel the lady in red's presence...!!! Woah!!! Everything is nicely combined... And I guess the lady in red is the one who is in coma.... And her spirit is wandering everywhere.... Very Bad actually :o Now I need eng subs...!!!!!!!! I am even more interested in the plot now :hushed:

His mum is dead too. By the same woman?

What actually happened to her? Why is she slaughtering people like chicken?

1 hour ago, gm4queen said:

What? I hope she dies. She’s killing people while she herself is “alive” and in a coma? Whatever grudge she might have, I’m sure YW’s sister wasn’t a part of it.

Archived