Quantcast
Sign in to follow this  
MissAria

Having a bachelor degree does not guarantee for a good career

Growing up in a lower middle class immigrant family. I'm more lucky than my parents because I have a bachelor degree. 

I want to have good stable career and have a better financial situation than my parents just like what my parents wish for me and always told me to study well.

The reality is having a bachelor degree is not enough. Having a master degree could be not enough too. Having a doctorate degree is worse ! There is less job for theses graduates.

Right after graduating, finding a job was difficult, and it is not well paid at all. I had to accept job like this because I had nothing else to pick that was better .When I worked in the past they said our company isn't making enough profit for the investors so we won't increase salaries of the employees. So, I tried to apply in other companies with no results. In the end, I quit to pursue another career. I went back to University.

Now, I'm 28. I still live with my mom. I feel so bad. When I was about to get my bachelor degree my mom would often say we will soon be able to buy a property. 

I still cannot afford to have a property. I cannot give a better life for my mom. 

It just sucks. I want to travel but I can't. I want to have a family but I can't. 

I know it is not all university degree that will lead to a sort of ''unemployment''.  Like, I heard there are a lot of well paid jobs in programming and  computer sciences, and companies are looking a lot to hire graduates. However, I am not very interested or passionate in that, so I didn't study in programming or computer science. 

Anyways, I know some people, they study what they are passionate about, but in the end they cannot find a stable job related in their studies. Some people have given up in their first career choice, and they went back to study in something else that has a better rate of employment.  

There is something else I find difficult. My extended family is so mean (cousins, uncles and aunts). Like, when they ask me how much I earn, what job I do. I'm just a laughable failure because I'm no better than them. I stopped to have contact with them, but it is not easy to hide a situation. I cannot lie I don't have a good job, I'm studying again. 

How about you ?

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 6/2/2018 at 1:29 AM, MissAria said:

Growing up in a lower middle class immigrant family. I'm more lucky than my parents because I have a bachelor degree. 

I want to have good stable career and have a better financial situation than my parents just like what my parents wish for me and always told me to study well.

The reality is having a bachelor degree is not enough. Having a master degree could be not enough too. Having a doctorate degree is worse ! There is less job for theses graduates.

Right after graduating, finding a job was difficult, and it is not well paid at all. I had to accept job like this because I had nothing else to pick that was better .When I worked in the past they said our company isn't making enough profit for the investors so we won't increase salaries of the employees. So, I tried to apply in other companies with no results. In the end, I quit to pursue another career. I went back to University.

Now, I'm 28. I still live with my mom. I feel so bad. When I was about to get my bachelor degree my mom would often say we will soon be able to buy a property. 

I still cannot afford to have a property. I cannot give a better life for my mom. 

It just sucks. I want to travel but I can't. I want to have a family but I can't. 

I know it is not all university degree that will lead to a sort of ''unemployment''.  Like, I heard there are a lot of well paid jobs in programming and  computer sciences, and companies are looking a lot to hire graduates. However, I am not very interested or passionate in that, so I didn't study in programming or computer science. 

Anyways, I know some people, they study what they are passionate about, but in the end they cannot find a stable job related in their studies. Some people have given up in their first career choice, and they went back to study in something else that has a better rate of employment.  

There is something else I find difficult. My extended family is so mean (cousins, uncles and aunts). Like, when they ask me how much I earn, what job I do. I'm just a laughable failure because I'm no better than them. I stopped to have contact with them, but it is not easy to hide a situation. I cannot lie I don't have a good job, I'm studying again. 

How about you ?

in which country are you live? .. btw I think if you go to a bigger city you can find a lot of job opportunities. in my country there are thousands of job you can find. it depends on you. btw never think about what other said. 

Tell me about it, my degree has nothing to do with what im doing now.

I wish people told me that before i spent thousands of dollars and put in so much of my time.

Oh well, i guess if there's something you're really good at (trades), i always say its never too late to start over again.

This sounds so cliche but we all have different timelines. Some may be at the peak of their careers at 28 but some starts at 30.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2018 at 9:55 PM, 88pixels said:

bachelor no... but if you have masters or phd 100% you'll have a good carrier

Credentialism has led to a rise of excessive grad students with little practical experience or new input towards the profession or academic side. What else can the young do though? The entry-level jobs that ought to be vacated are still held on by lifers from the previous generation and the new wave gotta find work somehow. So a Master's is practically the new baseline standard since everyone's going straight from undergrad through grad school in one fell swoop to somehow add value to themselves. That and 2-3 years of experience for the least enticing positions. 

Looking at the stats for the States, there's approximately a 50% increase from 2000 to now in the number of Master's degree holders. Of course the number of positions requiring an advanced degree has not grown as fast nor have the number of people displaced in the 2008 recession been all accounted for somewhere. Grad school is a lucrative business too where students generally aren't afforded as much stipends/scholarships and typically shoulder unsubsidized loans public or private. It's different than say 20-30 years ago when grad school was exclusive yet relatively fully funded. Now it's an extension of undergrad without the previous years of working experience in-between.

Doctorates are another thing, the investment is often too long and the work demanding for limited prospects in academia. If in STEM, your Master's and doctorate work is likely your specific role in the private sector. For other majors, there isn't much that trumps experience or applied knowledge.

Nothing is guaranteed now. Not in a global economy where education is arguably the most straight-forward approach that is easily achieved with disposable money. I can't say for sure whether grad school is a good fit or not for someone but there's plenty to consider when one nears their career prime 30s instead of nascent early 20s.

@MissAria

You hear good cases because people who aren't as successful don't boast about their situation. It's survivorship bias, hearing only from those who swam instead of sank out of the gate. Plenty are exploited for cheap labor. Plenty are working without benefits and stagnant wages (differs from country to country but sucks in one that lacks social safety nets). Even the well-paid can be terminated without reason as they are not unionized and are as disposable as the next eager replacement. 

Some jobs people take may pay well (temporarily) but they're jobs, not careers. And they may be short-term deals. And offered out of blind luck opportunity. Jobs aren't truly meritocratic and we ought to stop thinking that such a method to objectively pick people is in place. It's not always your fault, someone probably just got an insider referral. Someone was part of the good old boys club and got priority. Right place, right time, right chances.

You ought to look into networking and connections. I know, I hate that too but that's how you can move around without constantly looking to change majors and kill more time in school. Going back to school has an age limit because ageism exists too especially in tech (that's why most try to cash in before their forties or so). Further schooling is a solution to a self-created problem: what do you want to do? What if it doesn't change anything in the end? Undergraduate can be that exploratory phase but graduate school and above needs a firm commitment.

• Like 4

Unfortunately, in our time it is. I had to face such a disappointment even with a master’s degree. For a long time, I lived in Europe, where higher education is not such a cliche now, compared to the 19-20th century. Everyone wants special people who can "sell" themselves with a brilliant resume. Just recently, I was able to understand the truth of this using  . Having moved to America, it was difficult for me to get a job with a decent education, even with a law degree, because there is a huge competition. And I started working on a resume and the professionals of this business helped me a lot. It is worth remembering this.

Edited by triplem
No commercial links please

Just cut ties with your annoying extended family. They dont pay your salary. Why bother with their opinion? 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 2/14/2019 at 10:01 AM, Lawyerh said:

Just cut ties with your annoying extended family. They dont pay your salary. Why bother with their opinion? 

I don't see them often at all. The only time I see them is when we have to hangout for my grandma. When they meet me they are probably curious at where I am at in my life, but I hate their judgement so I have to find a way to not look rude and not answering their questions. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@MissAria

I have the same "situation" with my family as well.. My fourth half brother has been consistently treating me like crap, and honestly I don't know how his wife, daughter puts up with him. Birds of a Feather I suppose..?! 

It sickens me that he did the same toward our mom, she's since passed away.. At least there's 1 half brother who's the saving grace of the family but even he pressures me to do "something" ugh LoL! 

I pretty much am on my own right now and avoid any interaction as much as possible. But it's hard to keep away as ultimately they are family. Full or half blood related-wise.. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 10:27 PM, MissAria said:

I don't see them often at all. The only time I see them is when we have to hangout for my grandma. When they meet me they are probably curious at where I am at in my life, but I hate their judgement so I have to find a way to not look rude and not answering their questions. 

Just avoid the questions. And be patient okay.. :heart: it is your life. You are not satisfying anyone with how you are living your life. It’s about how you are happy to live your life. 

• Like 1

Not always I suppose. There are a lot of people who have bachelor degree and they still can't find a good job. Anyway I am a student and I AM GOING to get bachelor degree in any case. I have been studying 4 years and I had so many problems during this time. EsaayShark was that one service wich helped me several times when I really needed it. There also were a lot of people who allowed me to be relaxed. I am appreciate it

• Like 1

Well BA is just a basic degree but seriously nothing special to think that employers will stand in line to offer you a job. You should continue your education to at last MA. If the money is an issue, you can start looking for the job now, right. But I advise you to ask professionals https://apapers.net/ to write your CV and motivation letter. Those papers seem nothing but mean everything.