[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] My Girlfriend 我不能恋爱的女朋友

sugarplum892

9 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Sigh... it's so hard waiting for the episodes every week. Dangit... why didn't I start this after the whole thing ends?! Worse still I'm probably ahead of everyone at the moment. :P

There's something strangely addictive about the drama... it reminds me of US rom coms from the 1990s. Not a lot of hijinx or malice (so far it's coming from one source)... just decent but flawed people trying to navigate around love and life. I'm super fond of the leads (enjoying their chemistry)... who are occasionally frustrating for holding back when even a kid can see that Chi Xin really likes Xiao Rou. I guess he has tried to confess more than once but the heart rate monitor sounds off and get in the way. ;) 

But there are many heartwarming moments that make up for other characters getting in the way. Of course in reality the OTP are their own worst enemies. Their individual predicaments, their beliefs, superstitions, predicaments and fears are what keeps them apart. There's a lot of focus on hopes and dreams... there's also a sense that a person's expectations of what something should be is seldom met. It makes this show feel a tad more realistic. Even while ZZ gives it his best shot and throws everything except the kitchen sink at XR, she's not particularly taken by all of it. She may be moved but she's not wooed. 

I really want other people to talk to about this so I'm hoping that someone else will pick this up aside from me.

I'm really enjoying your posts on this drama. I have just finished episode 1 so I don't have too much to say yet but I like it so far and I'm impressed with the production quality. It seems a lot more...polished than a lot of the recent C-drama rom-coms.

I am relying on Viki subs so if I do continue wit the drama I will be far behind you as they are only on episode 4 at the moment:sweatingbullets:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am also addicted to this beautiful drama.  Watched till ep.16 with subs.  Yes, all the characters are ok, except for XR's lady boss.  That actress character was very bad in Bloody Romance drama.  I love the 2nd ML.  He is cute.  I don't know what he is trying to do?  I think he started pursuing XR knowing about her, but he told her that he is only following the script.  But when he is about to express his real feelings, she is falling for CX.  Anyhow I like it so much.  I think she will help CX to get back his ex girlfriend since she has the curse, my guess when both of them will realise their love for each other.

1 hour ago, raziela said:

I am relying on Viki subs so if I do continue wit the drama I will be far behind you as they are only on episode 4 at the moment.

Really? I thought they were up to Episode 16 with the subs.

Production's not bad. It probably gets neglected because there are no big names attached to it. But it certainly deserves more viewers. I like it more than Go Go Squid TBH which was largely watchable because of Li Xian. There are interesting thematic similarities between the two.

1 hour ago, pad-hari said:

I am also addicted to this beautiful drama.  Watched till ep.16 with subs.  Yes, all the characters are ok, except for XR's lady boss.  That actress character was very bad in Bloody Romance drama.  I love the 2nd ML.  He is cute.  I don't know what he is trying to do?  I think he started pursuing XR knowing about her, but he told her that he is only following the script.  But when he is about to express his real feelings, she is falling for CX.  Anyhow I like it so much.  I think she will help CX to get back his ex girlfriend since she has the curse, my guess when both of them will realise their love for each other.

Don't forget CX's rival from the company. He's quite the troublemaker. ;)

The CX's ex doesn't have a huge role in this and she's wisely moved on. The focus is largely on the 3 women and the men in their lives.  That said she's one of the best tv exs I've come across... very helpful. :D

2ML -- Zheng Ze is a nice enough guy but she's not into him. He is impressive enough in his own way but he's apparently not fated to be XR's One True Love. :P Apparently there's a childhood connection.

Episodes 19, 20, 21 and 22 are my favourites.  The leads spend a nice chunk of time together in them and there's a fair bit of progress between them. They're clearly falling for each other but things... life... get in the way.

The curse really isn't the problem... it's the annoying heart monitor! 

Thank you both for responding. :wub:

So...I have given this a chance but I am dropping this. I like the synopsis, the male lead is good, love the little cartoons and side stories but I find the female lead, Ding Xiaorou, just completely unbearable.  She is stupid, spineless, irresponsible passive, weak. I have watched up to episode 8 hoping she would have some character development but she is still a totally insufferable.

At first I was glad they decided not to dub but the whiny, nasal tone the actress uses for this character is like nails on a chalkboard. I'm not impressed with Bridgette Qiao's acting at all. She makes Ding Xiaorou even more annoying because she is not a natural comedic actress so she overacts to compensate, she also gives the character some weird and distracting facial tics for some reason.

Whilst watching episode 8 I thought how much more enjoyable this drama would be if the lead was her best friend, Sasa. Sasa is smart, funny, independent, capable and well-dressed. The actress is also much better at comedyic scenes than Bridgette Qiao. Heck, at this point I would prefer Chi Xin to get back with his ex over DX.  I would have loved to watch a drama about those women instead of this infantile 25 year old woman who behaves like an overgrown 6 year old child. When I am thinking about how much better a drama would be with the supporting characters as the lead then I know it's time to give up on the drama.

I also really dislike the use of a serious condition like narcolepsy as a character trait and plot device when the drama writers have barely bothered to do any real research on narcolepsy besides it means she will fall asleep at inconvenient times.

• sugarplum892 changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] My Girlfriend 我不能恋爱的女朋友

Archived