[Drama 2018] Matrimonial Chaos / The Best Divorce, 최고의 이혼

0ly40

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, 1ouise said:

I'm uptight like Seok-moo, so I'm most interested to see what happens with him.  But, Jang-hyun is sooo intriguing.  I don't like him, but I want to know his story.

Ha ha ha, I know what you mean. I am not uptight like him, but I hurt others without meaning to, like him. So I am also very curious to see how what will happen. What YY said struck a cord with me: how he is the one hurting the most in the end. He is harsh with others indeed, but harsher with himself...

JY is so interesting indeed! When the show started, I disliked him but then, I became curious and started wanting to know more. Plus the bromance is awesome!

@Blue Sky Totally! I think the reason why she was never into being touched by men is because she is a lesbian.

And that is another thing I like about this show - it's modern, touching upon relevant subjects like homosexuality and consent as well.

8 hours ago, carolinedl said:

I think the reason why she was never into being touched by men is because she is a lesbian.

to add that i think she is going to get her heart broken a little because the roomie had a thing with the church friend and she might get scared to be in a relationship. 

Janghyun is a complex man, i would like to be a friend of his but not his lover, he is hard to deal with in that area. And interestingly i would want to be friends with Seokmoo but not his lover either, he would be a dependable friend but consider someone complaining about eveything in the world with negativity ALL THE TIME. On the other hand the girls Hwiru and Yooyoung, i woud like to be both their friends and their lover, Hwiru more but still.

Also Misuk. I love you. You are the best. 

3 hours ago, The_Doctor said:

to add that i think she is going to get her heart broken a little because the roomie had a thing with the church friend and she might get scared to be in a relationship.

I think she needs to be jealous in order to realize her feelings and what is going on... I mean she went to a date with a man despite it all so she needs some kind of shock to move towards her.

I am watching and loving this drama. I binged all 8 aka 16 episodes in a day and a half and:wub::wub::wub: there is so much to dissect in this drama. Each character is brilliant and flawed in so many ways. The acting is....I could fangirl all day over the acting.

Bae Donna is just...she’s brilliant. I feel all her emotions. The scene where she broke down throwing the books talking about the meaning of family and all she ever wanted with/from her husband. ALL MY FEELS. Lee El my queen. I love love the way she is playing the restrained yet deeply scarred wife. And it’s not just her marriage but her whole life. I find her and her husband, Jang Hyun to be so fascinating. I enjoy watching their relationship more so than the leads. The leads to me are predicatable in that two opposites with bad communication that took each other for granted married and divorced but still very much love each other and are obviously bridging a path back to one another. However, Yoo Young and Jang Hyun are such a mystery. I can’t predict them.

I knew Yoo Young was going to eventually  snap (she could have submitted the original marriage registration herself, but didn’t, couldn’t because she knew she lives in a house of cards) but so much about the two is just a question. Do they love one another? Why? Why did he agree to this marriage in the beginning? Why did she want to marry him? Why does he cheat? Why did he cry and wasn’t willing to give the papers? I do think they love one another, but why? What about him is worth her enduring everything she poured out at the end of the latest episode? What about her after countless women and all his cheating made Jang Hyun have wanted to truly try and not wanted to lose her? But then why did he throw the rings? (Well I know that his own knowing of himself, his own doubts and fears to be a loyal normal husband and all the negative words of doubt his mistresses threw at him). Why didn’t he ever after looking for lost dogs, register the marriage? They interest me so much because well, how do they as individuals and as a couple comeback from all his cheating and lies and their own individual wounds? Her noticing and asking about the changed shirt said so much.

TRUST, how do you even begin to trust someone who has again and again with so many woman, betrayed you like that. He shattered her sense of being, her crying about how much she hated herself. Being with him turned her into someone she never wanted to be (her mother, a pathetic woman) and makes her hate herself. So why and how could they repair that. It’s a pile of mystery and I’m so looking forward to more layers being peeled when it comes to the two (Jang Hyun interests me so much. I don’t think he’s as carefree as he makes himself out to be. I think there is a lot underneath the spacey alof flighty weirdness that I find a bit enduring) and their relationship. 

I love the sister and her roommate who she’s totally in love with. I hope the drams is bold enough to go there. I feel they’ve been throwing bread crumbs towards such a storyline and please writer do it. I love the talks/showing of consent, assault, rape, social norms, and discrimination. The security buddy and his tears of heartbreak cracked me up. Grandma is a gem who I hope doesn’t die. 

@carolinedl hey girl we meet again :D how have you been?

@MrsSoJiSub I am sooo happy to see you here (it's been such a long time - wasn't the last show we both followed together "Tomorrow with you"?) and I am so glad you are enjoying this show so much as well.

Like you, I am fascinated by YY and JH, especially JH (I think we all are here). He is such a mystery really. Even his nightmare of the train ride in the snow is a mystery to me - what does this train ride in the snow comes back to haunt him? I am not sure what to expect from them, how they will rebuild sthg together. Honesty perhaps? I mean she knew when she said yes to him at first that he was cheating on her friend so it's not like she was not aware of it; she also chose to turn a blind eye. He does not want to hurt her, I am convinced he does love her but unlike what he said, I don't think love is enough. To be honest, the more I see them, the more I started thinking that they would not be able to remain toegther. One couple does, the other doesn't. I kinda like that idea too... The ones that seemed the most in love break up and the others who fought all the time stay together. No?

Like I mentioned, I totally love how the show tackles the question of consent and sexual abuse. More and more shows are dealing with this these days but I found it refreshing that a man, SM, is also actively protesting against it.

The actors are indeed great! I am happy to see Lee El with a serious role, and a good one at that. The actor playing JH is amazing - I didn't know him before, what's his name? I need to look him up. Bae Doona is amazing as always - I also love the fact that she wears little make-up, sometimes not at all. And Cha Tae Hyun is also amazing (I am a big fan of 1 Night & 2 days) and a serious show suits him surprisingly well.

Anyway, looking forward to tomorrow!!

@carolinedl you brought up why I think Yoo Young never said anything until her sister came along and forced her to see exactly what she’s been pretending against; she knew exactly what she was getting into with Jang Hyun. Like you said she “stole” Jang Hyun from a former friend. Going into the relationship she knew he was a player and womanizer. So when he continued in his ways, I guess some part of her felt she had no right to complain or confront him, that she had to endure because she brought it upon herself (karma for “stealing” him) and it’s retribution for her past (judging her mom). It’s interesting here sister mentioned how she’s always going for the bad boy types and it’s very telling that her compliment fur her sister’s husband was that he’s faithful. 

Jang Hyun’s dream of the endless snowy rushing train tunnel...snow is white and pure and it’s dark there almost no lights and the train seems to be going and going. I’d say it’s just him, himself his subconscious and being in a fog a loop of guilt and unknowing, searching want of something brighter better (at the end of tunnel there is light) but fear of what lays at the end, the opening, the new beginning (why the train seems forever in the tunnel). I think Jang Hyun does love Yoo Jung but not wholly not unselfishly. I think some part of him has disengaged from the world, like a part of him he always kept closed off, didn’t let anyone in and that why he could cheat. Like his logic was she didn’t really know everything (anything?) about him and what she doesn’t know doesn’t hurt her.  Since she didn’t know about his cheating (so he thought) it was fine because ignorance is bliss and it wasn’t the only thing he was keeping from her? Or maybe he seems to live in two states of being and the cheating to him had nothing to do with Yoo Jung because she was of and owned a different part of him. But then these last episodes he wanted her (or was willing to try) to have her own all of him and well, all of him is a selfish cheating hoe that wanted to change for her. 

Can the the two get back together? I think they could. It would take a lot of work. A lot. Hes going to have to really really work for it and earn the trust and happiness again. Fir her, It’s going to take a lot of forgiving, letting go of any resentment, and some forgetting, and willingness to be happy and love/like him again. For both, they need to come to terms with their individual pasts (her sister told us so much and his dreams, the friend mentioning the runaway now divorced first love, and also the mistress that seems to know him well/longer, the way he just shut off his hurt and threw the rings...intriguing) and by gods communicate better: They need to fight. Fighting isn’t always bad. They need to fight and be honest and not hold things in. Start really talking to one another.  It’s takes a lot of work. A major do over/rebuilding. It’ll get messy and hard and hurt, but it can be done. Now should they get back together....? Is the relationship worth trying again...

I cant wait for tomorrow. The last episode dealt with habits and we saw our four falling back into and attempting (some succeeded) to breaking out of habits. I wonder what tomorrow’s episode will be about. I  wondering, where did Jang Hyun go? Did he meet the mistress? Where did he sleep? Why did he throw the rings? What now cause they surely not going to divorced roommates like our leads...”I’ll never forgive you.” What now?!?!?!???? I think she loves him but also hates him so what now. 

The actors name is Son Seok Gu. He’s a newbie but older (35). I think he’s debuted for 4 years now but had his break out told in ‘Mother’ which he was soooooooo good in and soooo different from this character. He also made cameos in Sense8 as Bae Dona’s police partner and Korean Suits. I saw him in ‘Mother’ and fell for his talent (as did most in the business). I truly hope he continues on his streak of bagging roles. 

I loved the ending scene of today’s episode. The four of our divorced not really divorced married but not married crazy suppose to be adults was hilarious. SHE’S JOGGING!! :w00t: and the lights going on and off and taking and switching sides. I was in stitches. Like, how the divorced roommates going to advise anyone lol. All the actors played off each other so well, I loved it!

Was I the only one yelling at the sister and roommate to kiss...kiss...*in Sebastian’s voice* go on and KISS THE GIRL!!! It was confirmed that the roommate is a lesbian, her parents were/are religious and against it, she dated the bff who does not have the courage to stand against society. I so pray the sister had that courage and knowing of self (and KBS -a public channel can you believe- and the writers the strength and progression) to go after that love because it’s clear as day she’s in love with the girl. 

I love love love the women of this drama. They are seriously the sole draw of this show for me. I adore the womance between our female leads. I grinned watching them eat together in the restaurant, walking and laughing together, then having each other’s backs in the end scene :wub::wub: I won’t even be mad if they both ditch the men and go Thelma and Louise living together in the fancy expensive app product placement apartment. The mom rocked so much telling her daughter to get a divorce and not being st the memorial (I laughed so hard st her firecracker gift). Her and grandma bonding warmed my heart. The little sister is so awesome and I love the advice she had for her former nephew in law about him being a sh** but still young and can learn and grow from his ways.

How awesome was Yoo Jung’s reflections in the bar and walking away from that worthless mad. Her whole look of “rolling my eyes I don’t have time for another weak man” was a mood. Her walk off, I feel more in love. How the heck does our lead (y’all in so in like with our second leads I can’t remember/haven’t learnt the names of our leads. I always get second leads syndromes) think she’ll afford such a place without a job, pipe dream lol. I’m so looking forward to her journey of independence. I want her to move out. Get a job. Adopt a cat. Publish that book. She’s so awesome and has so much to offer, I don’t want things to go back to how they were for her. At this point, neither man deserves our awesome sauce leads and until they prove otherwise #teamsingleladies

I adore that the big theme in this drama is that women rule the world and men are weak and truly aint’t sh**! Jang Hyun, he’s weak. I can’t believe a sensible high school rejection had him so shook that he chooses to be this way *rolls eyes* high school girl made the right choice They was babies and his little dreams of work and love wasn’t going to happen. She didn’t have those kind of feelings for him, was using him to escape abuse (from the teacher and classmates which is fine to me), and was honest. Why he so hurt and let that hurt shape so much of him. None of it excuses what he did to my queen Yoo Jung. Like, sad story (not really) but still cheating *shrugs* the same time I can’t hate him. His personality applies to me so much. He’s so soft, I just want to cuddle and protect him. I find his weird quirks so enduring (also I’m a bit like him).

How can I hate someone who falls asleep in the middle of a psychoanalysis about him, or apologizes, not apologizes and just confuses ppl and finds our lead “he’s annoying”. I just can’t hate him. The moment in that one ep where he stood up after our male leads grans speech of self realization (it was post divorce party I believe) to declare he has a camper suited for 8! I was a goner (that scene was so so so hilarious to me. I laughed a goo 7 minutes straight. His comments was just left field and completely shattered the mood. I loved it!). I hate what he’s done and right now he doesn’t deserve nor earned a second chance (I don’t even know if I want them back together) but I enjoy watching him and think his trying will be hilarious, insightful, and painful. 

I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s episode. I hope the preview was misleading because I am not here for Yoo Jung and male lead (I do look forward to jealousy chaos of hilarity it can/will/should bring). 

I was struck, again, at how naive men really are in this series. Men have this romantic naive vision of love and marriage, one which does not fit today's society. Even SM's father has this childish vision of family life, like a sitcom he wanted to reproduce. SM is not different than himself, as he cites that very show at the end. This made me laugh too, at how similar to his father he is despite hating him. So masculine in many ways... Anyway, JH's story is also quite pathetic and naive, how he was so hurt for something he should have seen coming (or that he refused to see which makes me think he might be similar to YY in that way); how such a silly story from high school really had an impact on him and even influenced his career. Like OMG WTF?... Even SM's co-worker has a naive vision of love whereas his new girlfriend is pragmatic. SM's sister's husband is also a stereotype of Korean man who thinks that because he has a good job, he is going to get away with murder... Men need to grow up and evolve.

Women are much more nuanced and realist in this show (and in life in general). Like you said @MrsSoJiSub, women are strong, even SM's mother! It's hard, as of now, to see how the two men could win back their ex/non-wives.

Funny how you said you are like JH @MrsSoJiSub - @1ouise mentioned here she was a bit like SM, and so I am. I am looking forward to seeing what will happen to the men.

The whole jogging thing made me laugh out loud! It was funny, how shocked he was, and his explanation. And frankly, I could totally relate too! Hilarious! I love those little comments and how true they are, despite sounding so stupid. He he :lol:

I liked the whole thing with SM's nephew and how he reacted to HR's book. I truly hope she will publish it. And I am quite curious about it too actually - as a lit professor I find it very interesting, that approach.

Okay I need to watch today's episode now!

Jang Hyun living with Seok Moo is going to be a hoot. I can imagine the shenanigans the two will get into. One is so straight laced and the other so quirky. I LOVE IT!

I almost felt bad for crying Jang Hyung. Came really close to feeling bad...then I remembered he had it coming, brought it all on to himself, and is only getting what he deserves. I mean yeah going in Yoo Jung knew how he was, but did she really know he was a cheater? Maybe she thought cheating with her was the first and last time. Or perhaps she did think she was a special snow flake that could change him. Regardless, he cheated on her continuously with 3 different women all at the same time. Not just the cheating (I think I could forgive that) it was the continuous lies that broke her (I mean having to go through phone, receipts, smelling and checking close). He didn't turn in the marriage certificate, and then all the women coming to her shop and embarrassing her. YOU ONLY HAVE YOURSELF TO BLAME JANG HYUN!! it's true "you don't know what you have till it's gone." (if that ain't the biggest theme of this drama lol. That and it takes two to make or break a relationship). If you were going to want to be with her and be all sad and crying after she's trying to truly end things with you, why didn't you register the marriage? Why cheat? Why throw away the rings and not go in and fight for things. So frustrating.

I love You Jung and I'm so happy she's trying to let him go, but I'm not buying it. I feel like she's just going through the motions. Like she's working at it, she's trying at it, but it's all a distraction. I don't know, it all feels too fast, and false for my liking. Like she's shut it down, which isn't really letting go. I mean like in the dark (I love how the lights out showed a lot Seok Moo and Hwi Hoo hugging was perfect) she still wondered where he slept. In the dark hidden corner she still wonders about him and seeks him looking even if she acts like she doesn't. Not taking his calls, deleting his number, blocking him, kicking him out etc, etc; it feels as much a stalling tactic as out two formally roommates divorced couple. Until I see her reminisce while crying and packing his things, or she lets everything in her out (when is she going to call or visit her mom!?!) A GOOD FIGHT AND YELLING MATCH (my gods do those two does she need to fight, too much is bottled in and reserved) it ain't over. 

Seok Moo is annoying me. This is none of his business and he needs to stop playing marriage counselor and Mr. Cheer Up when his own house is a mess. I did not like his bringing Jang Hyun home or the drinks at night. He needs to be looking at and after his wife. He needs to keep his nose out of Yoo Jung and Jang Hyun's affairs and allow them to resolve this married not married but divorcing because he's a cheater and I don't want to be like my mom mess themselves. Seok Moo needs to pay attention to his wife who is coming to some realizations about her role in their marriage falling to pieces. I think Jang Hyun is right when he says that Seok Moo doesn't want to escape the room or cliff he feels he's on.

Yes indeed this is a very good drama ! Just read some old news that Bae Donna and  Son Sook Goo was rumored to be dating and they first met when she was filming Sense8 in the States.  

While I don’t care for his serial womanizing, I think this actor was perfectly cast. His child-man expressions make it hard for me to detest him.  

I actually am becoming more intringued by Seok Moo now. We have had quite a lot of backgroung information about all characters but, somehow, SM had been the one keeping a lot of his emotions in. We saw JH crying, YY battling with herself, HR realizing that she does not know SM much and she is guilty of what she accused him of, etc. But SM? I don't really understand why he is so set on having YY happy and smiling; I am just confused: does he really still have feelings for her? is he feeling guilty for the past and trying to amend himself? What about his singing/song writing career? What did he feel when he gave it up? etc. I wish they would focus on his feelings too, but I guess it is what is coming next? I hope it is! While the other characters are moving in some ways, he isn't.

I am looking forward to the bromance with SM and JH moving in together. They are so different that it will certainly be interesting... and funny! He he

Not sure what I think about the whole new potential love interest of HR. Somehow, I wish they would just focus on her career and not mix love in there.

@carolinedl I actually feel like we know Seok Moo the most and that he has grown the most. I think that man has come to so many realizations about himself and his marriage and every episode I think he grows more and more. He's softened a lot. This is the guy who spent his lunch breaks talking avoiding everyone and talking to Siri like technology. But now he's running to escape rooms, and giving out annoying advice to cheer on others.

I don't remember the episode (it was the divorce party) where he says he knows himself to be annoying and cold, etc etc, but what can he do; it's who he is. The man went from seemingly always annoyed with his wife and wanting divorce. To come to valuing her, seeing her as an individual (she has all these hobbies and interest outside of him. She goes out and cooks for others etc), and putting her happiness above his own (he didn't tell her about the music guy and he wanted music guy to be happy because he knew Hwi Roo is easily affected by others and didn't want his unhappiness to rob off on her).

Even in his own family, he took his sister's side and is beginning to communicate his frustrations to his dad. Wanting 3 families under one roof, the guy is starting to want a family and friends and the normal happy family Hwi Roo threw books about. I think he and Hwi Roo have both grown so much and would finally be good together and for one another if they could use learn to communicate with one another. Both continue to keep how they really feel inside (it's plain as day that they want undo their divorce and be together) and that is so dang frustrating. 

I think the cheering up of Yoo Jung has more to do with his guilt of the past (I would feel guilty too if I unintentionally hurt someone like that. Crushed their dreams and talked so badly of their dead father whom they adored) more so than feelings for her, but I do think he has some feelings for. When the first met up agin, he was definitely trying to (since he was married then) spark and affair/reminisce and start something with her because she in his mind was an ideal and so much better than Hwi Roo (I still think he kind of has her on a pedestal and sees her as this delicate thing that must be saved -the whole jogging nonsense-) which is why I loved when Yoo Jung literally clapped him back to reality. 

Right now, I think Seok Moo and Yoo Jung are both vulnerable and hurting from the collapse of their relationships. I think with their shared history (which both may now be looking at with somewhat rose tinted glasses considering how their marriages/nonmarriages went) and getting to know each other again, both are idiotically rebounding to something familiar and  wondering "maybe you were the one for me after all." The two are very similar imho (both are the kind of calm ones to their spouses weird outgoing personalities) and are maybe wondering was it suppose to be you since with them (someone so different than me) it didn't work out. I believe Hwi Roo has this thought and fear as evidenced in her Seok Moo ex-wives club tea time with Yoo Jung.

I won't be surprised if Seok Moo/Yoo Jung toe the line  of starting up with one another again (but that will be so wrong towards Jang Hyun and especially Hwi Roo. All 4 have formed some kind of friendship and something like that is just foul and breaks girl code as well as boy code. You don't get with a fiends ex! Especially when it's obvious they still have feelings for said ex!). I won't be surprised if Hwi Roo attempts something with Mr. Eccentric Publisher. I'll be annoyed, but not surprised because it's realistic and Seok Moo and Hwi Roo are getting back together! You hear me drama gods THEY ARE GETTING BACK TOGETHER!! 

Now Jang Hyun and Yoo Jung...I can't even fathom them back together. Yoo Jung doesn't seem to want to forgive or forget anytime soon (if ever) and looks like she wants to really let him go and move forward. I just hope Jang Hyun comes to realize the great hurt he caused her (and destruction of his own happiness), verbalizes it in a way she understands, sincerely apologizes, and lets her go (breaks up like asked) wishing her well and better. I like that will be the best show of I love you and I'm sorry he could do; let her go. Put her wishes/feelings/well being above his own, by breaking up as asked.I think in that he would come full circle because he would have returned to his true self, the boy he was in high school before getting on the train. I mean high school him basically did that for the train girl. He left everything and ran away with her because she asked him to, and she needed it to get away from the art teacher scandal. He could do that again for Yoo Jung. Wait, did he already do that? When he packed his things, looked at her through the store window, then left, was he doing that? Gosh his character puzzles me. 

Archived