[Drama 2018] My ID is Gangnam Beauty, 내 ID는 강남미인

0ly40

7 minutes ago, icyphoenix said:

He is confused,  we can say that.. He knows pretense n false things.. But he is not aware of the fact that his beauty also invites some other problems to his closed ones esp his future gf!  He isn't aware of Mi Rae's insecurities completely! 

Ahhh Mi Rae's insecurities:bawling:.

Living a life where only her face is being judged, she really had it rough.:bawling::bawling:

Can someone with the spoilery webtoon knowledge spoil me with what thing that made Mi Rae and Kyung Seok finally date?

How did she overcome her insecurities? Now I'm so curious

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it Saturday night yet? I feel the usual #SorryNotSorry to myself for deciding to watch this live, rather than wait for the whole series to be done and watching it all at once. But then I'd miss out on all these great sessions with all of you guys here together waiting impatiently for the next episode!

On how we are all frustrated that Mirae won't stand up for herself: despite her new face, she won't be able to change embedded patterns of behaviour, nor hide the instinctive defence posture, that the habitually-bullied will take on immediately when threatened.

I know, because I was bullied very, very badly when I was 12-13 years old.

I started to break out into teenage acne - not the small types of pimples, but really big, angry pus-filled types which no amount of face-wash or pimple cream could help. I was named "pimple-face" by everyone, and during that time, my name went completely unused - it was "Hey Pimpleface" for the school year. And because I was taking additional classes outside school, the nickname carried on even outside school.

It was hell.

I wore my hair the same way that teenage Mirae did - hanging completely over my face, and I hated taking photographs. What made the hell become a burning inferno was the fact that because of my face and pimples, I was an outcast in school, and it resulted in really ridiculous situations happening because of the misperception of who I was as a person.

My seatmate S, for example - she was one of the "beautiful people" in school because she was very pretty, and she hung out with the other "beautiful people clique" in school because she was both pretty and rich. She HATED the fact that she had to be my seat-mate -- we were assigned seats according to height -- but she was forced to be nice to me because it just made life so much easier.

She wasn't outright pretending to be nice - like how Soo Ah pretended to be Mirae's friend while secretly despising and hating her -- but I thought we were okay as seat mates and acquaintances.

Until one day during break time, S came and accused me of stealing her calculator. This was one of those scientific calculators which were quite pricey (during my time), and the calculators were brand new as we had just moved up a grade and needed them for maths class.

In front of the whole class, S accused me of stealing her calculator. I protested my innocence, wondering what was going on - I said I didn't need another calculator, I had mine right here, and in any case I didn't steal it. I said they could check my bag if they wanted to -- and the "beautiful gang" then opened my bag and dumped the contents on the floor.

All this happened when I was crying - bawling - while still saying uselessly "I didn't steal her calculator, I didn't steal her calculator..." -- but nobody would believe me, and nobody came to my help - and nobody wanted to go up against the beautiful/rich gang. The beautiful people gang then pointed fingers at me and said that I must have hidden it somewhere, or I must have sold it to someone else already. And there was nothing I could say which would convince them that I did not steal my seatmate's calculator.

In the end, with no evidence, and with break time ending, they all returned to their various classes. But now I had a reputation for being an ugly, pimple-faced thief.

For the rest of the week, the class shunned me; nobody would help me with any class chores, nobody would help me if I had homework problems, and nobody would take their break with me. So I packed my break and sat in my classroom to eat and endure hell on earth.

On the Friday of that week, one of the beautiful gang R from another class walked in, and asked "Where does S

(my seatmate) sit?" and when pointed out, she walked to my seatmate's table and PUT A CALCULATOR ON THE TABLE. R turned to me and said "Oh, could you let S know that I borrowed her calculator? I was sick this week and couldn't return it till now."

I was so shocked that I just nodded and R left.

I was elated because maybe this return would mean that my shunning would stop, and that S would apologise and everything would go back to normal.

I wish.

S came back and I delivered the message that R had borrowed her calculator, and that she had been ill, and could only return it today. S just said, oh. So I asked S, "Could you please tell everyone that I didn't steal your calculator please?" And S just looked at me for three seconds, and then without a word, turned away.

I continued in this hell for 2 years until the school rearranged classes when I was 15.

20 years later, S recently "resurfaced" in my life as a good friend to another good friend of mine, C. 

C (who does not know this story) tells me that S is lovely and beautiful and sweet, and is a loving mom to her two children.

All I can see when I look at their smiling instagram posts are the scars upon my heart which S left me with.

And despite all that I have achieved and accomplished to date, all I want to do now is completely avoid meeting S or talking to her, for any reason or any occasion.

I hope none of you reading this post have ever been bullied. If you have been - here's a big virtual {{hug}} for you -- I may not know your story, but I love you for surviving. Would you like to share your story on this board too? Or if you don't want to make it public and just need a listening ear (er... reading eye for posts?), you can PM me.

I am sharing this story not just for catharsis, but also to point out that for 3 years, I was constantly harassed and shunned from class and other peer activities. During that time I developed a really terrible inner-voice, which would constantly tell me negative things, much like what I imagine is going through Mirae's mind:

• you're really ugly
  • you're the pimpleface
  • you shouldn't buy yet another pimple cream, it's not going to work anyway
  • you can't ask ABC to join a team with you, you don't have the right/ they won't want you anyway
  • don't bother liking XYZ, you don't deserve someone like him/he won't like you anyway

I underwent this bullying only for 3 years, and I still have the emotional scars from the period -- how much more defensive reasons would Mirae have, being bullied her whole life?

As the main character, Mirae obviously has my support all the way -- but the writer of the manhwa and the writers of this series secure my vote because they made Mirae have the courage to dare to make a change with what she had, and take on the good and the bad that came along with making a change. Mirae fighting!

1 hour ago, icyphoenix said:

I could feel Mi Rae scared out of all.. She likes him but it even scares her that she might not be the one.. Soo Ah that venomous snake finally played her part..:vicx: But I guess it would bring our babies together.. I can't take Mi Rae's tears.. It's too painful:bawling:It tears my heart to see my babies sad:tears:

Yes! My poor bb Mi Rae is hurting and doubting herself. I'm just glad that Kyung Seok is quick-witted and persistent, he knows that something changed with her and he won't just give up his feelings because of a misunderstanding or two. 

But that promo! Man, the love square is gonna be intense tomorrow. I hope it just ends with a mutual confession for Mi Rae and Kyung Seok by the end of the episode. I can't wait another week!

41 minutes ago, OliviaRonnie95 said:

I wake up just to say this because i cant sleep.

Kyung Seok sees things objectively. He can even see the games soo ah play when others don't. 

they why is he doubting Mi Rae's feeling? That she actually likes him through her silent gaze and awkwardness. 

He should be able to see that too shouldn't he?

I think it's easier for him to see things objectively when he's not directly involved like this. He's good at reading people, but when it comes to Mi Rae, he's personally invested in her liking him back so he may be a little scared he's wrong about her feelings. That being said, I think he's been pretty confident they were headed somewhere romantic until this episode - and even today, he knew Soo Ah had said something to her to make Mi Rae change her behavior towards him.

15 hours ago, OliviaRonnie95 said:

I wake up just to say this because i cant sleep.

Kyung Seok sees things objectively. He can even see the games soo ah play when others don't. 

they why is he doubting Mi Rae's feeling? That she actually likes him through her silent gaze and awkwardness. 

He should be able to see that too shouldn't he?

I think he can see it but he's a very considerate guy to everyone he loves so he won't be a pushover even though Mirae's hesitation is killing him. . Like in the preview, he rather wait for her to decide and confess to him. If you read the webtoon, you will be swooning because he actually pretends to not understand what Mirae was saying until she was 'forced' to say it out loud that she like him.

P/S Actually, I cant wait to see Mirae confessing to him because I am sure KS will have a hard time keeping his face straight because Mirae, being clumsy, nervous-wrecked Mirae is just so,so cute.

44 minutes ago, purebristles said:

I underwent this bullying only for 3 years, and I still have the emotional scars from the period

Hugs to you chingu-ya.

I too have almost similar moment, but its not to the extend of bullying. Its just people's honest thought. I felt ashamed when i was younger. I was born with gapped teeth, and people say i look ugly because of it. And honestly i thought so too.

when people say "if only your teeth is straighter and closer you are kinda cute"

i never smile with my teeth bared during my teen year. I also choose to not talk a lot, in case people saw my teeth and dislike my appearance. 

But I work hard for money and got braces when I go to university. I'm still afraid to talk in front of crowd because i never train myself, but I am more confident now. I can smile with my traintracks braces showing. I can laugh in public (used to cover my mouth). 

I am happier now because i made myself happy. Happiness starts within our own self. 

7 minutes ago, OliviaRonnie95 said:

Hugs to you chingu-ya.

I too have almost similar moment, but its not to the extend of bullying. Its just people's honest thought. I felt ashamed when i was younger. I was born with gapped teeth, and people say i look ugly because of it. And honestly i thought so too.

when people say "if only your teeth is straighter and closer you are kinda cute"

i never smile with my teeth bared during my teen year. I also choose to not talk a lot, in case people saw my teeth and dislike my appearance. 

But I work hard for money and got braces when I go to university. I'm still afraid to talk in front of crowd because i never train myself, but I am more confident now. I can smile with my traintracks braces showing. I can laugh in public (used to cover my mouth). 

I am happier now because i made myself happy. Happiness starts within our own self. 

I had goose pumps reading this.

:heart::heart::heart:.

This can't be enough.

.:kiss_wink::kiss_wink:

18 minutes ago, marrez1 said:

My Mirae don't cry , THIS preview is  stressing me  also, all actors are good, especially Im Soo-hyang it's really the best, her talent, or her acting is phenomenal and immense, I love

Yes, ISH is so good. I cried seeing Mirae crying.

34 minutes ago, marrez1 said:

My Mirae don't cry , THIS preview is  stressing me  also, all actors are good, especially Im Soo-hyang it's really the best, her talent, or her acting is phenomenal and immense, I love

I have never seen her work before this show, but I'm definitely inspired to check her out now! She plays Mi Rae so perfectly, and the character is very different from her usual self. I'm excited to see the rest of her range.

15 minutes ago, sks18 said:

Yes, ISH is so good. I cried seeing Mirae crying.

Yes I agree. I personally LOVE the scenes where she cries, they're very genuine and really made me like both her character and ISH herself. Beautiful. 

4 minutes ago, kangminjae said:

I have never seen her work before this show, but I'm definitely inspired to check her out now! She plays Mi Rae so perfectly, and the character is very different from her usual self. I'm excited to see the rest of her range.

She was simply lovely and gorgeous in New Tales of Gisaeng. Her character’s story was very moving and she did a fine job. I really enjoy her here too but NTG was the first time I saw her work.

I very badly want to understand what Soo Hyang is saying in her post (and what the highlighted line from the song says) but m Korean is... like a baby learning her first words, lol. And the translators I tried are being useless, so if anyone can translate I will love them forever. :wub:

@icyphoenix Thank you for sharing the MV OST of CEW. I am loving it. He should sing more often. :)

@ohoheli Thank you for the screencaps. Will have to watch the whole episode later with subs. The short clips are killing me. Lol. :D

@pad-hari Thank you for sharing spoilers. They are wearing masks and holding hands! YES! 

As upsetting as the preview is doing to me, it's like SA get off, seriously, you annoying poisonous snake! BUT I am happy DKS just brushes her off and follows his heart, which leads to KMR. It is a little frustrating that KMR is very low-self esteem and she keeps holding her tongue and not saying anything. She got nothing to lose, toughen up and stand up for yourself. SA has more to lose than you.

Archived