[Drama 2018] My ID is Gangnam Beauty, 내 ID는 강남미인

0ly40

34 minutes ago, bubbles05 said:

I watched episode 3 with subs and they are depicting the university life so well. Why Soo A wants everyone's attention like all the time. I don't get her mentality.

Haven't read the webtoon, so am basing my analysis on what I have seen so far. Soo Ah wants attention because she feels validated that way. Her self esteem is tied to how much other people admire her and pay attention to her. When she sees Mi Rae get attention, she feels that that is taking attention away from her -> thus diminishing the admiration she gets. In her mind, this is a real threat to her whole existence, and therefore she must eliminate the threat (Mi Rae) in any way possible.

In essence, she is very much like a narcissist.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, partyon said:

Haven't read the webtoon, so am basing my analysis on what I have seen so far. Soo Ah wants attention because she feels validated that way. Her self esteem is tied to how much other people admire her and pay attention to her. When she sees Mi Rae get attention, she feels that that is taking attention away from her -> thus diminishing the admiration she gets. In her mind, this is a real threat to her whole existence, and therefore she must eliminate the threat (Mi Rae) in any way possible.

In essence, she is very much like a narcissist.

Yes, she acts like a narcissist. Yet, SA has something in common with KMR: both have a low self esteem but SA deals with it differently. KMR has internalized it: in her eyes, it is her fault... whereas SA actually blames the others. SA needs the attention and admiration in order to feel better. Since she needs to be in the center of people's attention and admiration, she is not able to connect with others. Hence she has no real friend, she has no one by her side telling her that she is great (underlining her qualities). She is annoyed by being judged because of her appearances... when she had that job interview, you could feel that she really wanted to do well but the manager only looked at her face and said that she didn't need to do anything. So she is not seen for her real value: hardworking, smart aso... It can be really frustrating for her.

It was interesting that when KMR revealed her connection with DKS to SA, the latter announced it to the others. By doing so, she actually showed that she was someone who gossiped. Only DKS saw her wrongdoing, KMR didn't even question her trust.

I can understand why KMR is deceived so easily by SA. We shouldn't forget that KMR used to be bullied in the past which means that no one was nice to her at school. Now in college, SA is the first one who told her that they were friends. She is well-mannered and she doesn't mistreat her. SA seems to be nice on the surface. KMR has never dealt with people who would act behind her back like that. Notice that SA (after her last trick) didn't get upset at KMR or blamed her. She let people think that she is nice and generous. She is trying with her fake kindness to "kill" KMR. However, she makes sure that people will think, KMR made a mistake. Fortunately, DKS could see through her again... And this is the reason why SA would like to date DKS: the more he sees her for who she really is, the more she thinks that finally she has found someone who sees her true personality and not just her face.

Annyeong everyone, 

My first post here.  I am really enjoying this show.   Dramamilk have started live recaps of this show from today.  thanks to them, here's the translation of Preview of ep.5:love:

KS – In middle school I smiled only once and it was about you.
MR – Crazy crazy!
Sunbae – The best visual ever among the class of 2018
Sunbae – Mirae is also good.
VO – New face!
YE – For the festival, can you help the bar?
SA – Mirae should do it.
VO – She is Hanguk University Goddess, why did someone like her *like* your post?
SA – At first I thought you two did n’t know each other because you did not greet each other.
VO – What are you doing about the festival
MR – Festival, I am a little busy now
HJ – You are Mirae-s department TA?
WY – would you like to have a drink together? We can go near the school and call Mirae to join us also.
VO – We picked good servers, naive good looking SA and sexy looking MR
KS Abogi – That woman came back to Korea, she dumped the kids for an affair with a young man. I know you wont see her, but…
HJ – Mirae
WY – After cleaning up, I will have a house warming party, what are you doing
KS – What are you doing here? You said you are busy.
KS – When are you going to have the house warming party?
WY – Are you really coming or do you like someone among them?

CR: https://www.dramamilk.com/live-recap-my-id-is-gangnam-beauty-kdrama-episode-3/

OMO, our boy got jealous.  Since she told she was busy to accompany him for the school festival, but she was there with the TA and he was also inviting her for the house warming party.:wub:

Can somebody please give/ pm me the webtoon link with eng subs.  thank you so much in advance.

Caught up with episode 3 and so far, I'm loving this drama. I haven't read the webtoon, but if the drama is this good, then maybe I'll start reading it too. I feel each episode gets better and better. I got to say episode 3 is the best so far (I haven't watched episode 4 because I'm waiting on the subs). I love DKS's and YWY's characters. I hate HSA's and somehow dislike KMR's characters. On the latter, I just don't like how low her self-esteem is. I know some of you may not like the comment I just made, but I just can't stand her weak mentality... especially when she keeps emphasizing that she got surgery to live like an average person. After all the pain, money and time  spent getting that pretty face, if I were in her shoes, I would be living not only an average person's life, but even a better one.... Sorry for the main female character bashing... I'm sure her character will grow as the drama unfolds, but I just needed to get this rant out of my chest :lol:

PS... The Mop/Master Dog is the worst character.... he should be freaking expelled off college and put in jail! :rage:. I don't know how realistic is college life in Korea compared to what the drama is depicting, but if there're really "sunbaes" like him, then I wouldn't be able to attend college there without getting myself expelled first for punching bastard(s) like him. :sweatingbullets: 

@mqiuwen.... Chingu Annyeonghaseyo , You have a right to your opinion and like you said. She HAS VERY LOW SELF ESTEEM. In my opinion she should have had a boost of confidence before PS. Why do I say that ? Even looking beautiful she still isn’t confident, she still consider herself invisible and doesn’t want to be the main attraction. I feel the fact she has been bullied all her life with no help from anyone  and to the point of considering suicide as a way out is proof that Mirae needs counseling. Needs to have confidence, learn to speak up, learn to say No and being able to make her own decisions. Tbh there are “sunbaes” like him everywhere in the world, especial when they have power. I believe they have more power in Korea because of their culture. Remember how Kyong-Seok said she should have fixed her warped mind. Sure he said it the wrong way but like Mirae said he was right. 

She spent so much time thinking of what other people think and never taken time to boost her own confidence. Look at her parents in the drama they loved her, but in the manga, I haven't seen her parents after the first chapter. So wanted to know more about her parents. 

For example respecting your elder, your senior,  your boss  or anyone above the chain of command must be respected. Some people allows bad behavior because of fear of being ruined, bullied or gossiped about.  

Chingu please read the manga . You will get more of Mirae’s Backstory . So you can understand her better. Drama isn’t able to go that far in the description. 

12 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

@mqiuwen.... Chingu Annyeonghaseyo , You have a right to your opinion and like you said. She HAS VERY LOW SELF ESTEEM. In my POV , she should have had a boost of confidence before PS. Why do I say that ? Even looking beautiful she still isn’t confident, she still consider herself invisible and doesn’t want to be the main attraction. I feel the fact she has been bullied all her life with no help from anyone  and to the point of considering suicide as a way out is proof that Mirae needs counseling. Needs to have confidence, learn to speak up, learn to say No and being able to make her own decisions. Tbh there are “sunbaes” like him everywhere in the world, especial when they have power. I believe they have more power in Korea because of their culture. Remember how Kyong-Seok said she should have fixed her warped mind. Sure he said it the wrong way but like Mirae said he was right. 

She spent so much time thinking of what other people think and never taken time to boost her own confidence. Look at her parents in the drama they loved her, but in the manga, I haven't seen her parents after the first chapter. So wanted to know more about her parents. 

For example respecting your elder, your senior,  your boss  or anyone above the chain of command must be respected. Some people allows bad behavior because of fear of being ruined, bullied or gossiped about.  

Chingu please read the manga . You will get more of Mirae’s Backstory . So you can understand her better. Drama isn’t able to go that far in the description. 

Hi @UnniSarah! It's nice to see you in this thread too! :)

Thank you for sharing your insights. I think I will go follow your suggestion and read the manga to understand more of MR's backstory. 

Ohh! I am soo excited for next week's episode. Please have KMR and DKS get closer and have him SMILE! :D

I really really want to know what happened to DKS and his mother. From the videos on Youtube, DKS and his sister witness their mother trying to kill herself, while their father was trying to stop her. I think DKS and his sister don't know the whole story behind what happened between their parents, therefore, they just blame their mother. I hope KMR helps bring DKS closer to his mother and he can finally let go of his cold self and become who he really wants to be.

6 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Yes, she acts like a narcissist. Yet, SA has something in common with KMR: both have a low self esteem but SA deals with it differently. KMR has internalized it: in her eyes, it is her fault... whereas SA actually blames the others. SA needs the attention and admiration in order to feel better. Since she needs to be in the center of people's attention and admiration, she is not able to connect with others. Hence she has no real friend, she has no one by her side telling her that she is great (underlining her qualities). She is annoyed by being judged because of her appearances... when she had that job interview, you could feel that she really wanted to do well but the manager only looked at her face and said that she didn't need to do anything. So she is not seen for her real value: hardworking, smart aso... It can be really frustrating for her.

It was interesting that when KMR revealed her connection with DKS to SA, the latter announced it to the others. By doing so, she actually showed that she was someone who gossiped. Only DKS saw her wrongdoing, KMR didn't even question her trust.

I can understand why KMR is deceived so easily by SA. We shouldn't forget that KMR used to be bullied in the past which means that no one was nice to her at school. Now in college, SA is the first one who told her that they were friends. She is well-mannered and she doesn't mistreat her. SA seems to be nice on the surface. KMR has never dealt with people who would act behind her back like that. Notice that SA (after her last trick) didn't get upset at KMR or blamed her. She let people think that she is nice and generous. She is trying with her fake kindness to "kill" KMR. However, she makes sure that people will think, KMR made a mistake. Fortunately, DKS could see through her again... And this is the reason why SA would like to date DKS: the more he sees her for who she really is, the more she thinks that finally she has found someone who sees her true personality and not just her face.

Yes, I agree that SA goes have low self-esteem, too but she does deal with it differently. She totally loved it when she first met everyone and all the guys were drooling over her. She knew she got all the attention, then, but I'm sure by now she already can tell that KMR is an easy bait and constantly using KMR to get what she wants. What really bothers her is that now she's losing DKS to KMR and no matter how much she reveals about KMR, it's like things turns out well for KMR and just brings DKS closer to her. 

At the same time, I don't blame KMR for being soo naive and constantly getting deceived by SA. It is what you stated as well that she never had any friends, therefore having SA constantly being nice to her is like something she always dreams of. 

About the whole SA lying where she lives, at some point, someone is going to figure it out and it's going to spread within the school. Honestly, SA is going to slip up and someone will catch it. At this point, I don't care, I really really dislike her.

23 minutes ago, turtle0217 said:

Ohh! I am soo excited for next week's episode. Please have KMR and DKS get closer and have him SMILE! :D

I really really want to know what happened to DKS and his mother. From the videos on Youtube, DKS and his sister witness their mother trying to kill herself, while their father was trying to stop her. I think DKS and his sister don't know the whole story behind what happened between their parents, therefore, they just blame their mother. I hope KMR helps bring DKS closer to his mother and he can finally let go of his cold self and become who he really wants to be.

Yes, I agree that SA goes have low self-esteem, too but she does deal with it differently. She totally loved it when she first met everyone and all the guys were drooling over her. She knew she got all the attention, then, but I'm sure by now she already can tell that KMR is an easy bait and constantly using KMR to get what she wants. What really bothers her is that now she's losing DKS to KMR and no matter how much she reveals about KMR, it's like things turns out well for KMR and just brings DKS closer to her. 

At the same time, I don't blame KMR for being soo naive and constantly getting deceived by SA. It is what you stated as well that she never had any friends, therefore having SA constantly being nice to her is like something she always dreams of. 

About the whole SA lying where she lives, at some point, someone is going to figure it out and it's going to spread within the school. Honestly, SA is going to slip up and someone will catch it. At this point, I don't care, I really really dislike her.

But KMR did have a friend (in the drama anyways), her best friend that she still lives with even now. I think she and many others (minus the sunbae after Kyung Seok and Kyung Seok) can’t see SA for what she really is because they are blinded by her beautiful looks and her seemingly sweet and friendly personality that in their minds, complements and reinforces her beauty. They don’t even care to entertain the thought that she might be fake and manipulative. 

KMR of all people will be most susceptible because SA is the only person she has ever rated as 100 on the looks scale, it might not be shown here as clearly but she’s practically always in awe of Soo-Ah’s natural beauty. Also it seems like she basically feels really grateful to have such a pretty person like SA want to be her friend. It’s not surprising to see since she became so focused on others’ looks and idealistic beauty during she years she spent  feeling ugly and rejected by society for her appearance. I can see her struggling with the idea that the best looking guy on campus likes her. 

Just watched with subs and

i noticed a shadow behind Mi Rae and friend when they were walking home, did you see it?

So scary! Felt like a thriller...I didn't read the webtoon, is this part of the storyline? 

14 minutes ago, ganko said:

Just watched with subs and

Hide contents

i noticed a shadow behind Mi Rae and friend when they were walking home, did you see it?

So scary! Felt like a thriller...I didn't read the webtoon, is this part of the storyline? 

Warning

Spoiler

A Stalker was a part of the storyline - but not for Mi Rae - so I wonder too... will we get two... is it the damn senior again... or will the other change his subject... i don´t think so.

But its great - so even the people like me who readed all have to find out....

Archived