[Drama 2018] My ID is Gangnam Beauty, 내 ID는 강남미인

0ly40

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/30/2018 at 9:09 AM, snowpearlxl said:

Hi all! I made a video with some of my favourite scenes from episodes 1 and 2, do check it out!! :wub:

:wub: wow it was so beautiful btw can you tell me how you upload this edit? i just made one myself and wanted to upload in youtube but it banned due to claimed copyright i don't know how to do ㅠㅠ 

@snowpearlxl thanks for making and sharing that beautiful MV..please continue making more MV for next 2 episodes..I really love the way you edit the MV..

Ohhh thank goodnes so all the issue is just a false rumours?? now I can watch this drama without any hesitation..

like seriously I have been replaying so many times this preview :bawling: ..can't wait to watch those KS and MR scenes at minute 5.00 onwards..

Whoever translated it as PD made things a bit confusing. When koreans say pd, they mean the director. The guy who was on Jang Ja Yeon's list seems to be some sort of executive/higher-up at the production company. Song byungjoon isn't even on the list of producers or executive producers for this drama. So honestly, something like a boycott would only negatively affect everyone else lower than Song, who are actually directly involved with the drama. It's like when the prostitution scandals happened; only the people not powerful enough got punished. Such is this industry. 

okay, I'm confused. So song byungjoon is the ceo of Group Eight, the prod. company for Boys Before Flowers(and hence the JJY scandal). But the production company for Gangnam Beauty is listed as Art & Culture? Is it a subsidary? collaborative?  

So it looks like one of the executive producers listed, hwang in-roe, is under Group Eight. But then how did song byung joon's name come up? How did he not get mentioned when all those dramas produced by group eight directly were airing? Just curious/confused. 

7 hours ago, fidda868 said:

like seriously I have been replaying so many times this preview :bawling: ..can't wait to watch those KS and MR scenes at minute 5.00 onwards..

Oh! I am really dying to see those scenes, too. I can't wait. I didn't expect to be addicted to this drama after the fist 2 episodes. :lol:

Some pictures of Im Soo Hyang and Cha Eun Woo on JTBCDRAMA instagram

I'm really liking how Cha Eun Woo can pull off this hairstyle

On 7/29/2018 at 1:21 PM, bebebisous33 said:

@Jillia 

Reveal hidden contents

Based on the webtoon, DKS wasn't in love with her at middle school. It is just that she helped him with the perfume he was looking for. KMR is not just a damsel in distress, she will be the one who helps him to reconnect with his mother.

This drama is not just about plastic surgery but much more about the hypocrisy of the society, the "patriarchal and misogynic" mentality in SK. First, DKS was the first one who pointed out that these male students were considering women like objects. It is clearly shown that women are judged on their look, even KMR's father is not really different. He kept praising her looks in front of the client. He compared her to famous people. Sure, he praised her for her intelligence and her hard work but it came later. Imagine the irony, some women are pressured to look good and decide to undergo surgery, but if the plastic surgery is revealed, then they will become gossip. On the other hand, the appearances of men is not questioned. Secondly, there is a reason why DKS could figure out SA's personality from the start. He has actually a very negative image of women in general that's why he revealed the "secret" in front of YJ's girlfriend. Once she heard that YJ was even willing to reject his inheritance, the woman showed her true intention. On the other hand, YJ wasn't that heartbroken. DKS knew about it which he underlined. His negative perception of women is related to his mother: like he said, she is dead to him. DKS noticed KMR for many reasons (not only the name and the perfume). Unlike all the other girls, she doesn't even try to hit on any guy. He noticed her insecurities, her innocence and her honesty. She keeps her distance from them... all the other female students are different. They are quite clingy.   

I think people don't understand it's not just in South Korea...it's worldwide issue - has been and always will be

I want to add some points that other don't understand :

1.  In SK theres a lot of poor people that have hard time finding a job , the look helping not only there to find a job..its helping all over the world also in western country, i know because i see on my own eyes beautiful people get the job fast withouth even without Experience and with higher salary than the "ugly " and average  people

so  even people whose is doing this sergury just to get a job is it's their choice 

, you can not understand if coming from a rich family or rich place,

2. . there are other reason for plastic surgery like finding a life partner.  it's very relevant, especially if the competition is high

In China for example there's more men than women, but in SK the compation is high

3. SK it's a small country so the competition is more then other countries, the more the country is smaller the highest possibility of competition , less jobs less life partner possibility

4. Girls in SK suffering from being objects but it's not save only for SK...this is one of the mistake people made when they come from western country, first if you look on statistic it's all over the world women earn salary less than men, aLSO  you can watch MTV music clips when woman have to sell her look to get views.

So women at the first place coming from this point of view probably will want to make  PS 

@JAN Yes, the equity between men and women is not reached in Western countries too, nevertheless doing plastic surgeries in Europe is not that common. Besides, this drama takes place in Korean. The stigma "Gangnam beauty" is definitely typical Korean. Then being a divorced or single mother in France or in Germany is not a stigma. Societies in Europe are less misogynistic and no longer patriarchal. There is no head of family... Spouses are equal. As soon as the child is adult, he/she makes her/his own decisions. The father would have no right to say something about the surgery. As soon as the child is married, it means that he/she has his/her own family. The "grandfather" has no authority over his daughter-in-law and his grandchildren.     

1 hour ago, Berou said:

sorry to cut your post

I also agree that PS is not necessary if it is simply for aesthetics and not a medical procedure because it is a vicious circle : once you touch something up, you will want to touch other parts up. It is really hard to restraint yourself, especially if you have low self-esteem and depression. I don't think PS is the cure for low self-esteem. If a person is depressive, what she/ he needs is a therapy for building up confidence.  Everybody has complexes, but not everyone resorts to PS. It is the best  to relativize our complexes than making them big. In the end what matters the most is the personality and character rather than the look. 

I would like to agree - but i can´t in all points. Right most of the time PS is not the right way to help out - but sometimes... I can understand it very well. A member of my family just had a PS. its not close family so i only found out by chance - but she corrects her nose... because she was bullied a very long time because of it. SK is one part - but in other countries mobbing can be very cruel too... I believe it is really easy to say, that PS is not the right way  - but there are people out there who needs a chance... It needs a lot to stand up against others. I have my own story as well... I can understand ... But what I like about the Drama (I just started) is that she is not just the happy and beautiful woman now - PS alone is not everything you need to fix your life.

In the end what matters the most is the personality.... Oh I wish I could live in a world like that... but my experience is different....

There were some nice moments in episode 1/2, so I decided to make some gifs. :D

Bus stop scene - I don't why but this short moment gave me life.

Similar.gif

And then I guess this is certainly a iconic scene from the webtoon, right?

Cute1.gif

Cute2.gif

And then of course Kwak Dong Yeon's character... I see what you did there PD-nim. ;)

Spoiler

Alrighty2.gif

Credit: I made these gifs

3 hours ago, Jillia said:

I don't know, but I can't get enough of this accidental help/hug/whatever scene. Like Cha Eun Woo played it soo well that you're just sucked into it that at that moment DKS didn't care about anything but catching KMR. :lol:

22 minutes ago, turtle0217 said:

I don't know, but I can't get enough of this accidental help/hug/whatever scene. Like Cha Eun Woo played it soo well that you're just sucked into it that at that moment DKS didn't care about anything but catching KMR. :lol:

Give me those scenes in dramas because they will never happen to me in RL. :lol: They also would never look that good. LMAO

I'm also catching up with the webtoon and they changed a lot, like to fit in what's going to happen. I'm intrigued. I guess this drama has 16 episodes so they have a lot to cover. Or does it have 20 episodes?

5 hours ago, Jillia said:

Reading it right now.... so happy it is english...  And yes - found it in the webtoon.

Spoiler

5n7bkvwq.png

49 minutes ago, Jillia said:

I'm also catching up with the webtoon and they changed a lot, like to fit in what's going to happen

Feels like they change the order or the first stories - but until now (I just started - Chapter 15 now) it feels like somehow the most it there too. I am just very happy that they let her have a best friend in the Drama.

5 minutes ago, Mau_Cherry said:

Reading it right now.... so happy it is english...  And yes - found it in the webtoon.

Hide contents

Feels like they change the order or the first stories - but until now (I just started - Chapter 15 now) it feels like somehow the most it there too. I am just very happy that they let her have a best friend in the Drama.

Yes they changed the order. :)

8 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

, nevertheless doing plastic surgeries in Europe is not that common. 

I do you know this? did you make a research?

If you are based only on KDramas like most of the comments here you mistaking

even so...you can watch youtube and understand more the massieve of this fecial change, sometimes it's botox sometimes it is a make up

even so i don't think you even read all my comment and all the point and the difference between Western and SK

You are talking on Europe like it's a one country...how can you comapre all land to one small country?!

@JANon. Besides, this drama takes place in Korean. 

The drama take place in SK but the comments here exagirating and not notice there's not such a difference between SK and other countries in that esspect

@JAN The father would have no right to say something about the surgery. 

Yes the discrimination is high but there's a lot of other countries that are worse like dubai for example
So i just want to mention to take those things in a proportion..and not always say SK is like this or like this without any research at all or proves and just base your assamptions on Kdrama

Honestly - I first hesitated a bit to come here - but I love the Drama now so much and I am surprised about it... but actually I feared a bit it will turn out like before.... for another Drama. I hope we will not fight about the topic PS.

I am from Germany - and there is now (as I said before) one person I know who did PS. Sure I am not from the field where people needs it to stay on stage or something. I would agree with @bebebisous33 - its not so commen. But still - it happen more then before I am sure for that.

People needs to be pretty - so everything will be easier... Sounds nice - but that is maybe just what we want to believe. My best friend is really a natural born beauty - and I know to well how often that became her curse. And yes - it is not easy to be her best friend sometimes - and she knows it well - we talk really about everything including our fears.

Just to say it - no I didn´t read all comments here - sorry I need time for real life. I wish I could - but not possible. And yes I like a lot to learn more about the differences from my country to others - not only SK. Yes - my interest for asia and therefore SK too was woke up thanks to Mangas first and than Dramas. And I tried to make researches - love to find a docu in TV or tried to learn over the internet. But its still difficult. Its very rare to get information by chance - I really need to put more effort into it than. Again - real life - time trouble...

Back to the Drama...

For me - the webtoon made it a bit more clear than the Drama how desperate Mi Rae already was... to a point to think about suicide.

I need to read more now - I love how the writer works with the topic....

16 minutes ago, Berou said:

The drama happens in SK.  It is  off topic  to always compare  SK with other countries. 

Thank you! And sorry - I would not have made my comment if I had read yours before - you are right! And we are here to share our love or sometimes critic about the Drama only... I will keep that in my mind!!!!

1 hour ago, JAN said:

I do you know this? did you make a research?

If you are based only on KDramas like most of the comments here you mistaking

even so...you can watch youtube and understand more the massieve of this fecial change, sometimes it's botox sometimes it is a make up

even so i don't think you even read all my comment and all the point and the difference between Western and SK

You are talking on Europe like it's a one country...how can you comapre all land to one small country?!

The drama take place in SK but the comments here exagirating and not notice there's not such a difference between SK and other countries in that esspect

Yes the discrimination is high but there's a lot of other countries that are worse like dubai for example
So i just want to mention to take those things in a proportion..and not always say SK is like this or like this without any research at all or proves and just base your assamptions on Kdrama

I live in the Netherlands, Europe. We have 17 million inhabitants, total. Is that small enough for you? I have nobody in my immediate family who has had PS. I have one friend who had her boobs enlarged because they were sagging a lot after the birth of her first child and after working out a lot (she's a bodybuilder).

Do I mind? No. I don't mind looking at Jessi either :)

But PS is not that common in Europe as it is in South Korea. Over here (mostly) women use other methods to increase their beauty. Make up, clothing, shoes (lots and lots and lots...), pretty friends.

In my opinion, which is far from professional, women in South Korea tend to go for PS because of insecurity and other psychological problems. So far, going to a psychiatrist or a psychologists, is still a big taboo in South Korea. People who struggle with bullies and insecurities, try to fix the outside so they don't feel bad about the inside anymore. In my, again not professional, opinion, that's the wrong way around though. Fix the inside, and it will leak through to the outside. Feel good about yourself and people will notice.

In Europe, it's much more common and much easier to visit a psychologist. I've been on several sessions myself, trying to deal with my inner demons. I even got a doctors referral and as it's in my health insurance, the costs are low too (even non existent, sometimes). We try to fix the problem, instead of trying to hide it which seems to be what a lot of women in South Korea are trying to do.

Let me be clear though: PS has it's good points too! There are a lot of cases where PS can really benefit the person, such as burnvictims and deformed people. It can also help boost that confidence, but, (again in my non-professional opinion) only as an additional treatment next to psychological help.

Most people don't need PS. You are beautiful just the way you are. You don't have to be afraid about not finding a partner. When your parents were young, PS didn't exist and all those people managed to find someone too :) 

edit: so.. what's this KDrama about anyway? Anything interesting?

42 minutes ago, Berou said:

I understand where you are coming from. PS has some benefits and can boost your confidence. But I think before resorting to PS,  we should ask ourselves why we want it . Is it because of our inner struggles ( depression and lack of confidence) ? I believe it is better to seek therapy and treat our demons than doing PS because one day, after touching up a part of your body, you will want to undergo surgery again  for another part of your body.  Besides if you do PS because of bullying, the bullies will notice it and might find another reason for bullying. It is like a proof of your low confidence and a statement that you care about their mockeries. 

What I meant by " what matters the most is the character and personality" is we should focus on personality rather than looks. Looks solely won't help us to achieve our goals in life. I don't think  for instance an employer will keep you, if you are incompent, based on your appearance. It is true appearance will reduce your struggles a bit, but that's it.  It's up to your specs and personality to prove to your employer you deserve that post. 

Since you have a different experience you might not agree with me :), however this is how I see the PS and looks issue. 

Its not really that I have a different view - and i hope for my family member that she will get more help than just the PS - because that alone for me too is not the right solution.

How to say it - I agree with you - but I too can understand people who are desperete and doing it. But really just with a good reason.

For work - i believe it is easier to get a chance - than they need to use it. But so called pretty people have problems too - and if they see themself as pretty - is a different question.

Archived