[Drama 2018] My ID is Gangnam Beauty, 내 ID는 강남미인

0ly40

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

Soo Ah is not a good girl... and just like in the webtoon, you could see her fakeness. She always put KMR in the spotlight in order to be seen as superior and prettier. Soo Ah acted as a fragile and shy person as she wanted to get people's attention and support, especially DKS's. When he stood next to her, people started saying that they would look good together. 

The first episode was really good because it followed quite closely the story in the webtoon. KMR's personality is really well portrayed, just like DKS and SA's. The minor changes (like the father has no idea about the plastic surgery) are okay.

OH! really? i couldn't see that face of her omg i should read the webtoon as soon as possible haha  what a bad person Sua is totally disappointed in her :wacko:

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my fav scene.. when sooah walks up to eun woo trying to act drunk and cute.. lol he just trolled her there

fair warning to people here.. during the course of the drama, i am going to rip apart this character.. if you can't take it.. stay away from replying to my posts

29 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

my fav scene.. when sooah walks up to eun woo trying to act drunk and cute.. lol he just trolled her there

IKR!  Love his character.... Can't wait to watch how the characters unfold in the story later... I am kind of happy that the show is showing even the parents story along as well. 

Spoiler

tumblr_pckg906zLI1vqlkb3o1_400.giftumblr_pckg906zLI1vqlkb3o2_400.gif

tumblr_pckg906zLI1vqlkb3o3_400.giftumblr_pckg906zLI1vqlkb3o4_400.gif

tumblr_pckg906zLI1vqlkb3o5_400.giftumblr_pckg906zLI1vqlkb3o6_400.gif

kdramaseoul

Whaaa... I wanted to punch all those people who were so cruel to Mi Rae and made fun of her soooo bad. But seriously, how can people be so cruel? If somebody doesn't fit in the particular beauty standards it means he/she can't have a normal life? Whaaaa what is that chincha. It was so hard to her that she even wanted to take her own life... Soo A is as awful as in the webtoon. Im Soo Hyang is perfect as Mi Rae. I loved Mi Rae's dance scene. It was clear that she was so happy at that moment. 

Also... The behavior of the young men here. If a boy asks for your number you can't say "no"? Why they are so mad after that? You have to be thankful that he is interested in you and give it immediately? It doesn't work like that

I admit that at one point before, perhaps when I was a little ignorant, I questioned why most people in S. Korea undergo plastic surgery..and then I remember when Park Min Young said that she hopes people accepts her as the current actress Park Min Young and not her past looks..which is absolutely right..judge people of who they are and not what they look like ..people often do it because as this drama portrays, it can be a powerful tool for them to feel confident about themselves esp. for people who are not blessed with good/natural looks and for those bullied because of it...just like Mi Rae here.

That's why it's already normal even for parents in S.K. to let their children do it when they become of legal age.

3 hours ago, chatterbox22 said:

Whaaa... I wanted to punch all those people who were so cruel to Mi Rae and made fun of her soooo bad. But seriously, how can people be so cruel? If somebody doesn't fit in the particular beauty standards it means he/she can't have a normal life? Whaaaa what is that chincha. It was so hard to her that she even wanted to take her own life... Soo A is as awful as in the webtoon. Im Soo Hyang is perfect as Mi Rae. I loved Mi Rae's dance scene. It was clear that she was so happy at that moment. 

Also... The behavior of the young men here. If a boy asks for your number you can't say "no"? Why they are so mad after that? You have to be thankful that he is interested in you and give it immediately? It doesn't work like that

i think people also look at one side of the story quite heavily.. witchhunt of b'ful people too

beauty brings advantages in three cases only:

1. In the entertainment business.. because well like it or not, beauty as a concept is very much part of human psyche.. invariably you would want to relook at the b'ful object - girl, painting, dress, whatever

2. when beauty is mean to disarm someone to do your bidding - in office context when people want to hire appealing people and personalities such as position of secretary (but do note, not where business owners realize that they need a smart person to drive business.. ), or roles where you have to meet clients etc..even like citibank uses it.. recruit eye candys and use it as a perk when hiring really smart candidates.. honestly, it is part of the pitch and an offer to hire real smart men/women .. BUT even then nobody takes away opportunities from deserving ones (companies, i have seen demand for good looks but then fill it up for people interaction roles such as HR where they anyway have more % of women applying... however, nobody ever compromises on true talent being disregarded for better job.. now if there is pretty face who is slightly less smart.. then yes she may gain brownie points.. but do note she is not stupid.. she is smart to begin with)

3. romance : du'oh romance is the most private thing.. and you need to be attracted to someone to feel love for them.. physical attraction is scientifically the most common first step for humans to get interested in someone..for everyone that varies.. most people react to instinctive attraction, some change over the course of time..

Who said b'ful girls don't get their heartbreaks?

In summary, be confident of yourself and focus on what you want from life, world doesn't take away opportunity in today's world.. because majority humans are losers and its their tendency to look down upon others to make themselves feel better (but remember, this is all loser talk).. beauty is one point, fairness, being a woman, being rich, being high IQ, these are different tools to the means

So refreshing to see mirae stand up to the sunbae. What a creep, but compliments to the actor, haha. And the bromance between kyungsuk and his hyung-friend is the BEST. 

I also love how choi sung won keeps playing characters 10+ years younger, LOL. First duksun's younger bro now a freshman in college. XD

Ep. 2 rating(AGB Nielsen): 3.3% 

Yay, it went up! Hopefully it'll continue to increase. 

10 hours ago, dramaninja said:

Glad she hit that fool,dude just pickings fights and being a creep to everyone.

I'm glad she hit that creep. He deserved it.

3 hours ago, Sejabini said:

this is just my opinion about beauty and pretty face. I don't meant to offend anyone..

actually I am a bit sad because there's a society where pretty face is more acceptable than casual face. why must to classify people based on their looks. personality is more important than looks. what's inside our minds and hearts are more important. me personally will be more shy if people called me dumb. the worst for me is if you have a pretty face and they called you dumb it is more shameful. I prefer to have casual face but people won't call me dumb :confused: sighhh.. my grandmama always said lols hahaha "sejabini is not pretty but if she puts make up I like to see her skin face. very smooth." lols wkwkkwwk whatever grandma. it feels like I want to get plastic surgery too!! huuu uuuuu :bawling: plus if you get pretty face you will face something like sexual abuses more than casual face. I am not pretty according to my grandmama but I was almost sent one person at my office to the prison because he was too crazy to touched me. I reported him to the police. sighhhh.. being a woman is very difficult. if we get casual face, people will call us ugly. if we get pretty face like Mi Rae we will have chances to face sexual abuses. I hope we live in the world that will appreciate women more based on their personalities and not their looks. and won't harm us with sexual abuses case.. GO FOR FEMINISM!! 

(ok why do I become orator in here lols wkwkwkwk sorray mods lols) :joy:

Not to offend anyone, too, but I agree with you on the pretty face. I mean I don't wear makeup at all. I have acnes here and there and I accept my look. I don't need people to tell me to wear makeup to be pretty or cover up my acnes. It's all about accepting who I am inside. Like I don't care about people who wears tons of makeup, get plastic surgery, or have acnes, I respect who you truly are, not a fake person you put up. 

It's just like how DKS sees right through Soo Ah that she puts up this fake innocent person she is and he doesn't like her. He likes KMR even though she has low self-esteem, she's a great person and she's just afraid, because society hasn't been accepting her her whole life. (Again, just my opinion, don't mean to offend anyone) 

Hello everyone! :)

Unfortunately I won't have the time to be active in the thread throughout the drama, so I will most likely watching this quiet IF I end up wanting to finish it.

But I thought I would share my thoughts on the first two episodes which I enjoyed.

First of all my personal opinion on plastic surgery is that nobody needs it if it's not medically necessary or a person isn't suffering from depression because of for example small breasts. I also think it's a problem not only in Asia but also in many other countries but I feel like in Korea it's almost like going to the supermarket and getting a nose job done so to speak. Mostly women under 20 get a plastic surgery as a coming of age present like it's nothing.

And I'm honestly questioning something like that since women at that age are not mature enough or have finished developing their own personality enough to make a decision you can't take back. So I thought it was interesting to see a drama actually addressing this issue but also the double standards in Korean society in which every woman is expected to look a certain way but when she is doing plastic surgery she is judged for doing so. I mean how messed up is this?

For the main character to be bullied for her looks in school and then in university I thought even though it was a drastic way to deal with it it's understandable as well to get plastic surgery. And then she comes to university and ends up being judged for doing so. And she herself is still insecure about everything. Her looks hasn't changed that.

In elementary school and high school even I would give those kids a benefit of a doubt at least up to a certain age since they're children and children tend to be cruel human beings sometimes. They have no understand where bullying starts and escalates. They also can't see the consquences which come with bullying and also where it can end. This drama takes the plastic surgery but also I feel like depression and insecurity that can't be dissolved by changing the outer appearance plot. But we all know bullying can end with self-inflicting pain or even suicide.

Also you never know why somebody is maybe different - may it be looks, weight, personality. Could it be due to illness or simply because every person is supposed to look different and not the same? One may never felt insecure about her/his nose until somebody starts saying "your nose is so big" and there might be people who don't care and move on but others will suddenly start wondering "is my nose really big?". And it goes from there.

But I think what I liked about the first two episodes is it's pretty open about where it wants to go with the plot:

You can be beautiful on the outside but have a ugly personality and you can be beautiful on the outside but still be insecure on the inside.

I find the love story predictable right now if the drama doesn't surprise me which I don't think it will. I hope the drama focuses on addressing the issue of plastic surgery rather than a man who already noticed the "ugly duck" in highschool (but was she actually a ugly duck??) and falls in love with her great personality. It's a nice story but smells of "damsel-in-distress needs man to reassure her she is beautiful no matter what". And personally I don't want that. Nothing wrong about it but just too one-dimensional for me. So again maybe the writer surprises me.

for debates sake

why is plastic surgery bad in the first place? why do people flinch their nose when they hear someone got cosmetic done or wants to do.. or in general why is it still a taboo?

does it have sever side-effects for everyone - like drugs or smoking?

let's take away the context of bullying and society pressure, but if someone just isn't happy about their nose and wants to fix it ,w hat is so wrong about it? isn't that same as saying don't get tatoo / you are a woman stay in burqua / you are a woman learn cooking/.. oh! you are a woman and don't know how to cook !!!... etc etc etc

18 minutes ago, stuartjmz said:

This is more or less  my reaction after two. The loveline is very formulaic, but I'm OK with that if the focus stays on the issue of her self-esteem, which so far it has. I actually like that she doesn't trust his remembering her, because her internal scars are too deep and raw atm. It would be great if she could grow her self-esteem independently, rather than being "healed by love", and her "what did I do wrong?!" outburst suggests that's not impossible. The first two episodes have definitely challenged my unthinking, reflexive disapproval of cosmetic surgery, so I'm going to hope it continues to be as thoughtful and thought-provoking from here on in. If it does, a clichéd (& pretty) OTP is a bonus I can live with. 

Yes for me the most important thing is to address plastic surgery and the problems it CAN'T solve.

But I really liked the ending of episode two because Mi-Rae stood up for herself against the douchebag and I was internally saying "yes you go girl!". I didn't want her to be saved I wanted her to stand up and do it herself and she did. Afterward she is very much emotionally confused and sad. So she struggles with the moments of strength and then finding herself doubting herself again. I love that because it makes her human and relatable. :) And I hope the drama keeps doing so and I hope in the end of the drama she is still herself but without the doubts and angst she is feeling.

And I again I'm all in for the love story, just not happy how predictable it is. :)

@Jillia 

Spoiler

Based on the webtoon, DKS wasn't in love with her at middle school. It is just that she helped him with the perfume he was looking for. KMR is not just a damsel in distress, she will be the one who helps him to reconnect with his mother.

This drama is not just about plastic surgery but much more about the hypocrisy of the society, the "patriarchal and misogynic" mentality in SK. First, DKS was the first one who pointed out that these male students were considering women like objects. It is clearly shown that women are judged on their look, even KMR's father is not really different. He kept praising her looks in front of the client. He compared her to famous people. Sure, he praised her for her intelligence and her hard work but it came later. Imagine the irony, some women are pressured to look good and decide to undergo surgery, but if the plastic surgery is revealed, then they will become gossip. On the other hand, the appearances of men is not questioned. Secondly, there is a reason why DKS could figure out SA's personality from the start. He has actually a very negative image of women in general that's why he revealed the "secret" in front of YJ's girlfriend. Once she heard that YJ was even willing to reject his inheritance, the woman showed her true intention. On the other hand, YJ wasn't that heartbroken. DKS knew about it which he underlined. His negative perception of women is related to his mother: like he said, she is dead to him. DKS noticed KMR for many reasons (not only the name and the perfume). Unlike all the other girls, she doesn't even try to hit on any guy. He noticed her insecurities, her innocence and her honesty. She keeps her distance from them... all the other female students are different. They are quite clingy.   

@bebebisous33

Spoiler

I'm only judging the drama by the drama itself since I don't know the webtoon. :) So I can't really talk about that. But if they do things different than I expected than I'm glad. I also knew the male lead is emotionally damaged. It's actually something I'm looking forward - in how it evolves throughout the drama.

3 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@Jillia 

Hide contents

Based on the webtoon, DKS wasn't in love with her at middle school. It is just that she helped him with the perfume he was looking for. KMR is not just a damsel in distress, she will be the one who helps him to reconnect with his mother.

This drama is not just about plastic surgery but much more about the hypocrisy of the society, the "patriarchal and misogynic" mentality in SK. First, DKS was the first one who pointed out that these male students were considering women like objects. It is clearly shown that women are judged on their look, even KMR's father is not really different. He kept praising her looks in front of the client. He compared her to famous people. Sure, he praised her for her intelligence and her hard work but it came later. Imagine the irony, some women are pressured to look good and decide to undergo surgery, but if the plastic surgery is revealed, then they will become gossip. On the other hand, the appearances of men is not questioned. Secondly, there is a reason why DKS could figure out SA's personality from the start. He has actually a very negative image of women in general that's why he revealed the "secret" in front of YJ's girlfriend. Once she heard that YJ was even willing to reject his inheritance, the woman showed her true intention. On the other hand, YJ wasn't that heartbroken. DKS knew about it which he underlined. His negative perception of women is related to his mother: like he said, she is dead to him. DKS noticed KMR for many reasons (not only the name and the perfume). Unlike all the other girls, she doesn't even try to hit on any guy. He noticed her insecurities, her innocence and her honesty. She keeps her distance from them... all the other female students are different. They are quite clingy.   

@bebebisous33 hi chingu .... well said ..you always do ... (Imagine the irony, some women are pressured to look good and decide to undergo surgery, but if the plastic surgery is revealed, then they will become gossip. On the other hand, the appearances of men is not questioned.) 

4 minutes ago, zinaa said:

@bebebisous33 hi chingu .... well said ..you always do ... (Imagine the irony, some women are pressured to look good and decide to undergo surgery, but if the plastic surgery is revealed, then they will become gossip. On the other hand, the appearances of men is not questioned.) 

And the characters of those men. So far none of the male students are really good people. Let alone the douchebag who assaulted Mi-Rae.

My reaction to this guy:

tumblr_inline_msms0l0Hbk1qz4rgp.gif

3 minutes ago, stuartjmz said:

None?  Not even the one who saved Mi Rae from certain rape, and who defended Soo Ah from being viewed as an object? He seems pretty well-adjusted to me. 

Well certainly most of them left not a good impression on me. But you're right not all of them are bad people. :) But he is the main lead.

Archived