[Drama 2018] Hide and Seek, 숨바꼭질

0ly40

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Lmangla

EH did not hate the Moons.  He just played his cards closed to his chest. He knew chaebols like the Moons used their wealth as power but I guess EH realised early on information is power too. There are information he shared with senior moon and there are those he kept to himself. 

Which came handy as the evidence on junior's slush fund was used as the bargaining chip for CR divorce and taking back ownership of makepacific. 

I pity SA becoz nothing justified kidnapping an innocent kid. 

SA ended up  raised as an entitled snowflake  by her fake mom who over compensated for her guilty feelings.  SA was not raised to handle rejection or mistakes properly. 

In this drama, CR was like a beautiful  flower that blooms in a pile of poop.

@Lmangla don't forget the time leap of one year and the COINCIDENCE that Ms Kim saw EH's accident!  Is that not divine intervention? 

Goodness I really could not see the logic of EH's one year absence. To collect evidence against the Moons? He already had it. I think the writer did not want to marry off a driver, son of a lowlife to the president of Makepacific. Making him chief secretary after one year seems respectable to the writer.

Ok I am off.

@Lmangla thank you for starting that 'my favourite drama' list.

Done watching this. Annual makjang craving satisfied. The writer and PD spoiled me with soooo good Lee Yu Ri (one of the actress I want to watch) and Kim Young Min (a lowkey favorite in My Mister) plus that heartwarming team up with Song Chang Eui and Uhm Hyun Kyung in a character I cannot even hate.   lovelove! Some scenes and situations are annoying but yeah I enjoyed. 

@maribella @Lmangla

i think the one year leap was necessary for EH to become a chief secretary? .. His new boss need some time to trust him. And likewise for EH to prove that he is useful to him. (Most likely, the new boss gain something in return for EH service.) 

I also think the reason he did not contact anyone especially CR, was because he knows that the moons will not stop until they get rid of him and  worried CR may get harm in the process. 

I agree that there were so many weird, illogical, & at times, nonsense situation happened in the story of this drama.. But one thing i like was the otp.. They found each other's soulmate.

I kinda of binge watch this drama over 4 days. It reminds me of the drama Twinkle Twinkle which incidentally stars Lee Yoo Ri but in reverse roles. She plays the antagonist Geum Ran who was accidentally switch at birth with Jung Won (Kim Hyun Joo). 

I agree that the ending was rather lame. It had a good start but didn't quiet take off as i had expected. The writer could have taken a different path other than playing the all too familiar revenge plot. Maybe CR could have been a daughter of a conglomerate whom NHG had betrayed in the past. 

And agree with  @maribella that the writer did not want to marry off a driver son of a lowlife thus making EH disappear for a year and coming back as chief secretary? Wasn't that the prosecutors' office? When did he study law? He could have been the chief secretary in the first place but than what would a chief secretary be doing with a low life door to door sales girl. 

The drama is finally done so congratulations to everyone that managed to stick and watch even those that stopped enjoying the show. To be honest I enjoyed most of the show because it was slightly different from what we generally watch.

Spoiler

While I will admit that the show wasn’t perfect and it still left a few unanswered questions it was decent enough. I probably won’t be re-watching this show again anytime soon though. I also would have liked them have added a few more things in the end thus further elaborating things or explaining them in details. Perhaps I am an idiot and should have inferred them on my own.

For instance here are some of the things that would have made the ending a bit better.

The Relationship between Sua and her mothers. The closest that we saw of this was in the episode where Sua goes missing. The mothers find out and get worried and start searching for her. When they do find her Sua says that she will continue to consider her adopted mother as her own as well as her Bio Mother and they show that her bio mom agrees to this. Now what we could have seen in the end was simply a continuation of this. Since both the mothers have something in common aka the love for their daughter wouldn’t it have been nice to see them get closer almost like sisters. So instead we could have a scene of something like this. One of the mother’s claim that they are getting late and it turns out that it is because Sua is leaving for her trip abroad and they have to attend her farwell party which the other mother is hosting. We could then see both mothers getting along well as well. Frankly speaking it would have been nice to see the rich mother make some genuine friends along the way as well. This way she gets both.

Chae Rin’s Bio Dad (Sort Of) Many of the viewers here I noticed were curious about who her Bio Dad was but we never get to find this out. Now I am curious about this fact as well but probably not for the same reason as most of the viewers here. To be honest I totally understand the reason why this wasn’t revealed to us. His identity simply had no real purpose in the story. Chae Rin simply wasn’t all that interested in finding out her roots and just wanted to be acknowledged in her current family. She already accepted her current dad as her own on top of it all he was the only one that was actually nice to her from said family. So she was in no real hurry to find out anything more. The only way that I can see the dad being brought up at such a late point in the show could be if either a new party showed up showing interest in one of the Two Companies aka Make Pacific of the other one and is either interested in purchasing said company or comes to save Make Pacific at the last moment. But I doubt that there would have been time for such a power struggle. Though it could be shown that Chae Rin confronts said person when suddenly Sec. Kim barges in and reveals that the two of them shouldn’t be like this as the person infront of each other are parent and child. Get a bit of reunion and move forward. But the other reason why the Dad wouldn’t show up is that the show wouldn’t want to pay another actor for such few remaining episodes.

Regardless of all this the reason why I was actually interested in finding out who her father was because I was more curious just when did Sec. Kim decide to be with a person. From what we can tell she was fueled for revenge at a very early age according to her own story. Let’s try and see some of the timeline according to her.

As a Kid was adopted by Evil Granny.

Discovered the real reason and attempted to escape when she ended up in said accident

Bided her time ie recovered herself and then returned to Evil Granny to serve her faithfully while secretly plotting her revenge.

So this means that Chae Rin was born during points 2 and 3. We can assume this for the following reasons. When she returned to serve Evil Granny some time must have passed for two simple reasons. One she needed to recover and secondly because if she instantly returned Evil Granny would have immediately recognized her. This means that a few years must have gone by. This totally makes sense but we also know that since she was fueled by revenge I find it hard that she would take time to make a family. To do so she would need to meet Chae Rin’s dad etc.. Also if she was so focused on revenge why leave Chae Rin at an orphanage. She simply could have left her with her bio dad. Did something happen to him and if so what was it. For instance, people have suggested that the rival companies missing person (from whom Evil Granny stole/purchased the plans) was her Bio Dad it would have made more sense. So in this case we could have the fact that her falling in love might have lessened her need for revenge until Evil Granny intruded in her life once again and messed with her thus setting her on the path of revenge once again. Now with her husband forced to flee she decided to take matters into her own hands. Ofcourse him being her husband causes other problems plot wise. For starters Evil Granny is known to be a very meticulous person who does background checks on everyone that works for her or who she plans on using. This means that she would have known who Sec. Kim was much earlier and thus she wouldn’t trust and rely on her so much.

This also seems to indicate that Sec. Kim was already working for Evil Granny at this point. Also another fact that needs to be considered is that if Sec. Kim was ever pregnant while serving under Evil Granny wouldn’t she have noticed this fact or brought it up. Actually this might be slightly possibly if Sec Kim was really smart about it but just how possible that might be is harder to say. For instance, if Sec. Kim did take her daughter’s birth into consideration and planned to take advantage of it I can see her sending her to the orphanage as soon as possible but claiming to Evil Granny that her daughter died in childbirth. It could also possibly explain her sponsoring an orphanage without Evil Granny getting all that suspicious as she could then simply claim that her being around those children helped her remind her of her loss. So in some ways this is partially possible but we still have to wonder about the Bio Dad just why wasn’t he all that concerned about his child and was he okay with this. (would have made him a terrible dad). Did he die in an accident if that was the case a simple mention would have been more than enough and we wouldn’t even need to introduce another actor if this was the case.

Everyone Decides To Leave Town Okay what is up with Sua’s Bio Dad did he decide to just become a Bum. To be exact while that was totally expected and he does deserve some well of time with his wife I am sure that there could be better ways to go about showing him with that growth stubble. Either keep a full beard or remain clean shaven. This was after all a one year time skip not a few weeks skip which would have been far more understandable. For instance, they could have been shown spending time on the beach discussing some other plans such as having more kids or plan on going on some trip abroad. Better yet show them on a well deserved cruise. They are rich and can therefore afford it as well have a good time as well. Infact that should have been the case after dropping of Sua they themselves head over for their own vacation (granted having a year passed away they must have already taken many. So instead perhaps we could have them returning from one so that they could send Sua of or something to that extent.) I also would have probably liked them to mend their bridges with Chae Rin.

Sua Decides To Quit Her Job At Make Pacific and Study Abroad This is clearly a continuation from the above point but let’s go with it. Am a bit confused why exactly did Sua need to tender her resignation before leaving. Didn’t the company pay for such trips and wasn’t she eligible in the past. Pretty sure that she didn’t need to quit at that time so why do so now. On top of it I personally feel that it might have had more meaning if Chae Rin would have told her that she either wouldn’t accept her resignation or that her place would still be there when she returned from her trip. Wouldn’t that also have been a sign that those two were finally starting to get closer once again. Sure it was nice for Sua to show concern regarding Eun Hyuk being MIA but couldn’t the two have bonded some more. This though then brings me to the next point that people have brought up.

Eun Hyuk MIA For A Year Was this even necessary and if so why exactly. Some people have pointed out that he had already gathered evidence on The Jokers so it shouldn’t have taken this long to arrest them or the fact that perhaps it was because he was initially jobless at the end of the show and that this way him having the title of being a Chief Secretary would be better than nothing and this more acceptable to be Chae Rin’s husband. To be honest I have doubts regarding the later part. Mind you this may be true but the reason why I have my doubts are simply for the following reasons. Him being jobless shouldn’t have been an issue since he could have easily gotten a post at Make Pacific. Remember the time when he decided to leave Bozo and company. He would have been jobless even then. At that point. Chae Rin’s father was more than willing to give him a post at their company for all the help that he had provided for them. Only things didn’t go as planned (he got blackmailed). In this case a job posting shouldn’t have been an issue. Not only that but we also have to consider this other fact. Both daughters were considering to make him their husband and the only real issue that did spring up was when he revealed to the family that he was implicit in Sua’s kidnapping when she was a child. Even then the problem was with Sua then marrying him sort of. But over here this problem isn’t there for a simple reason. He wants to marry Chae Rin. First of all does the family even care all that much about her have they tried to mend their bridges. If that has been the case, I wish the show paid more effort in that department to show it to us. Also let us not forget something important. Chae Rin had cancelled her adoption to save Eun Hyuk from the clutches of Evil Granny. Evil Granny had gladly accepted this as she always wanted to get rid of Chae Rin and this was offered to her on a silver platter. This means that Chae Rin isn’t officially part of that family anymore legally that is. Unless the family decided to adopt her again. Again would this have been so much of an issue to reveal this fact all it would take less than a minute by simply having a character mention this in passing.

Though I can actually see him MIA as a good thing of sorts. While I admit that it was hard on Chae Rin I think that this was a good way for Sua to get her closure and finally move on with her own life and all. While it is true that she was finally willing to let Chae Rin go to him in the final episode after handing over the company to her I think that was more out of guilt or atleast feeling bad at how she had to live courtesy of Evil Granny and all the things that she and her family had to suffer thanks to the actions of her grandmother but even then she probably wasn’t fully over Eun Hyuk. But as one says Out of Sight Out of Mind. In this case since she didn’t have to see the two of them together and feel hurt this allowed her own wounds to heal as well as the fact that she finally got over him. I do think her finding out just how evil her grandmother really was her turning point. Perhaps she didn’t want to believe what Sec. Kim revealed to her and was hoping that wasn’t true and that is why she confronted her grandmother only to realize that her grandmother was indeed a monster and she was becoming just like her.

As for the evidence that Eun Hyuk had already gathered on Bozo and his family perhaps he didn’t have access to it and he had to gather it all over again. We have to suppose that Bozo and his dad had discovered said evidence and had tried to cover their tracks so he had to find them all over again or something to that extent. Probably not the case since they would have been confident that since he was dead there was nothing to tie them up. Plus Chae Rin was keeping quiet as part of their deal so they had nothing to fear. So if that was the case then why the delay is clearly beyond me. Either the evidence wasn’t sufficient and he had to further add things in it that the others had to look for. He could only point them in the right direction and leave the rest to them and they had to move cautiously so as to not tip their hand and let Bozo and company know about this and destroy said evidence. This brings me up to another point.

Incriminating Recording In the Audio Cassette Is this even possible. While I admit that was not only amusing but brilliant as well from Bozo’s former wife having the evidence right under their nose and knowing that it would be safe because her FiL would never listen to said tape. I still have to question how exactly did she manage to go about it without anyone being the wiser. She would have to first make some sort of commotion to get close to her FiL so that she could press the record button on his Tape Recorder without his knowledge (granted that could have been possible somehow) but then she would also have to cancel this when the meeting was over so that he would never discover this and that would probably have been harder. On top of all this we don’t know whether or not the recording was in the middle, start or the end which would have led to their own risks. For instance was the tape ever rewound after that day even if he didn’t like to listen to it in that case it would have been discovered the night Chae Rin played it so it should have been in the middle or fortunately at the end etc.. This would have been safer but like I said not so easy to pull it of. Now it may be said that the recording was in the middle and the DiL got caught when she tried to rewind the tape or get it out and that is why she was caught in the room locked with the safe. Unfortunately, that isn’t exactly believable because had she been caught with either the tape or the recorder it would have been game over much earlier and we know that her FiL would have noticed this since that room was being watched with a spy cam unless they want to show that he was an idiot which would have been harder to believe since he was so devious as shown with his plans to expand his company and all.

Eun Hyuk’s Motivation Against Bozo and Family This has been brought up by some of the posters which I also agree seems to be a very valid point. No real explanation was ever given for this and he was simply there fortunately to help Chae Rin out. Not only that but he was also aware of the secret cam in that room how did he discover that. While one could say that he discovered that had he been working for such a long time with that family and thus discovered that but we then have to remember the fact that he was brought into that room before he actually worked for them (he was working in their company not at a personal level at that time so him knowing about that seems to be a bit strange) Did Bozo and family get rid of someone close to him ie a friend and he swore revenge on them. Even then I don’t think there was any sign of any of this. So I guess even I am stumped in regards to this. Good luck to anyone that figures it out or even comes up with some kind of decent or logical explanation for it.

So yes I certainly wish that the writer had decided to clear up some of these issues by the end. I am sure that there are even more that I simply can’t think of at the moment or have forgotten about.

Other than that let’s see if I can try and figure out some of the other points that were brought up.

Sec. Kim Conveniently Is There To Save Eun Hyuk I guess it was possible that she was there because she wanted to try and kill him of one last time. We know that she tried to do something similar to Sua before changing her mind at the last minute and thus revealing to her just what kind of monster her grandmother really was. In a sense that revenge was much better. Anyway as I was saying she came to kill him but discovered that he was already dying. Now it would have been a different matter if she was the one pulling the trigger but like she said had she ignored him then she would have become the monster she was fighting and that wasn’t a line that she was willing to cross. If this was the case it could be possible that she either had a tracking device planted on him or still had him followed. Both are believable points for me and I guess I can let this bit slide for the time being.

Karma Comes To The Evil People Sort of the case but let’s see what we get so far. Jo Pill Do finds himself out on the street with nothing and becomes a total bum. Even trying to eat food found on the street even if it belongs to someone else. I guess this was good enough and I guess this was another benefit of Eun Hyuk being MIA for the year. Had this not been the case then we could be sure that Pill Do would have tried to latch onto him like the parasite that he was and he wouldn’t have learned his lesson. Though from the looks of things I doubt that he still has. Regardless of this fact I doubt Pill Do is going to have all that much luck even after Eun Hyuk returns for the simple reason that he probably doesn’t have a place to go to. I get the feeling that Chae Rin has her own place and that is either where they will end up or even if she does marry him and move into his place she wouldn’t be so willing to accept the man who hurt Eun Hyuk. Meaning he is out of luck in this department. If he does end up getting anything it would be really lucky but somehow I doubt that.

Bozo and Dad Fully get what they deserve. Though it depends on what happens with the prosecutors. Either both of them will end up serving time behind bars which would be the perfect form of justice but I have my doubts regarding this. The reason I say this is because the one constant thing that has been shown in that family is that his father loves him very much. This has been demonstrated atleast two times in the show. One he wants his son to inherit his company so that he can have a means to survive but more than that is when he discovers that his son was responsible for embezzling from the company he did his best to fix the problem or cover it up instead of reporting him to the police or something to that extent. Showing that he doesn’t want his son to suffer. If we follow this train of thought, it would be safe to assume that he would try and take the fall for all the crimes that the two of them committed. So unless there is some kind of irrefutable evidence that ties Bozo to the crimes he probably will be able to get away scott free. At the most he will get a slap on the wrist which will probably be in the form of a fine and some community service. For instance, he might be able to claim that he had no idea that what he was doing anything wrong or was just following orders from upper management and was thus afraid of losing his job if he went against said orders even if he knew that they were wrong. Granted that this bit might be a stretch and he probably should get more. Though one shouldn’t consider him all that fortunate even if he does get out free (assuming that is father decides to shoulder all the blame) because even then Karma will give him his due course. He started out immature and took unnecessary risks but sort of learned how to play the games. Such as the later part of the attempted takeover of Make Pacific was his own doing with little to no help from his father. So it shows that he was a bit smart. Also considering the fact that he managed to make a slush fund without his father being aware of said fact until it was brought to his attention by Chae Rin. Unfortunately, his biggest issue was that he was lazy and this would mean that the other directors aren’t going to take any of this lying down and he will still have to answer for his father’s crimes indirectly. Due to their actions the company stocks have reached almost rock bottom. This makes it ripe for a corporate takeover. Karma indeed since they have been doing that to his wives’ company and all. Even if that doesn’t happen he will probably be ousted by the other directors who would want to cut all ties with said family due to poor and negative publicity that he company would be going through. Some of those directors were already gunning for said position and would have gotten it already if it wasn’t for his father protecting him. Without his protection he is good as gone. He will probably have to join the common person without any kind of special privileges that is even if the company decides to keep him. Not only that he will have to pay numerous fines for their actions so it will be even fortunate if he has any kind of money to fall back on. One has to assume that tax evasion must have been one of the crimes as well but I doubt that he would have much access to those funds especially if Eun Hyuk has done his job well.

As for Evil Granny and Sec. Kim. The latter is serving her time so she manages to get a pass. On the other hand, the same can’t be said about Evil Granny. She seems to be the one that is most fortunate in this regard. The writers may think that her punishment has been justified and she got her dose of Karma but I have to disagree with them in regards to this. Thanks to her winning personality nobody wants to stay or work with her for long. They all end up quitting at some point. The only one that did last was Sec. Kim and that to because she had an ulterior motive. Once she was exposed she left. But even after all this and her family leaving her after her true nature was exposed still want her back. Or atleast her daughter does. She doesn’t seem to have any kind of opposition from her husband so we can assume that he is okay with it as well. Finally, the Evil Granny decides to join them in the countryside because she apparently has realized just how lonely she can get and knows that if she dies nobody will discover this until it is too late. Thus she only wishes to go to them for her own self-interest. I doubt that she is actually repentant. Fortunately, she has lost all her power though I doubt that is punishment enough for her. Though what I find absurd in all of this is that her hands clearly aren’t all that clean and I am sure that she is guilty for something. In that sense she should also serve sometime behind bars. She could probably give Sec. Kim some company (I know that would be farfetched and in real life that would probably never happen unlike Blow Breeze) On top of all this Sec, Kim has served her for so long so she should know where some of her skeletons have been buried. This should have been enough to take care of her as well. Even if the court decided to take into consideration her age they should have still meted out some kind of punishment for her. Such as placing her under House Arrest or something this would have prevented her from joining her daughter in the countryside and thus enjoying the remainder of her life in some sort of comfort. The only explanation that I can come up with why Sec. Kim didn’t do that was because of Chae Rin. As most probably the company would suffer and in other words Chae Rin would go through a hard time trying to resolve said issue. But even if she didn’t reveal any of her other secrets I am sure Sec. Kim could have charged her with Attempted Murder at the most. Considering the fact that Evil Granny left her for dead and that is what would have been her fate if she hadn’t been rescued by Creepy Shaman. Sec. Kim being the victim could have brought down the law on her to some extent.

In other words, I feel that Evil Granny has gotten of the lightest which I don’t approve of. Wish that she had received some kind of punishment that would have done her justice.

Speaking of Sec. Kim and her swapping the medication of Sua’s Bio Mom was a bit weird from a viewer point of view sort of. I mean the mother was taking medication from a simply white bottle without any kind of label or instructions on it. Now realistically that makes sense. No pharmaceutical company would want to advertise such negative effects of their products so no one would be willing to sponsor said thing in the drama. But a simple solution to avoid this would be for the prop team to make up a fake company/product name and paste it on the pill bottle. This way nobody could sue the drama for false advertisement of their products and we could get a believable scene in a drama as well. So yes the drama did have it set of flaws.

Now while I am sure that I have more to add things seem to be slipping from my mind at the moment unfortunately so I will probably leave it at this for the time being. Hope to join the rest of you on some other drama also assuming that I have enough time to do so. I have enjoyed not only this drama but also the thoughts and comments of the other viewers/posters here as well. I just wish the ending was a bit better as well as some of the flaws that were there. Anyway till next time all of you take care.

• 1 month later...

Archived