Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2018] Let me introduce her / If it's her / About Her, 그녀로 말할 것 같으면

9 hours ago, Rafael Pascual said:

hi! any thought on this?

Plagiarism controversy[edit]

On September 2018, South Korean production company DK E&M (CEO Kim Dong-gu), the company behind the dramas Blow Breeze, Working Mom Parenting Daddy and Here Comes Mr. Oh, announced its plan to file a plagiarism lawsuit against SBS, its subsidiary SBS Plus and Shinyoung E&C Group, accusing Let Me Introduce Her of "plagiarizing" the 1999 Japanese drama Beautiful Person. DK E&M has been in talks with TBS (the original network of Beautiful Person) since November 2017 to produce a Korean drama adaptation of it, and was planning to broadcast the series in 2019 but that was affected, allegedly because SBS aired Let Me Introduce Her first.[16]

SBS has since denied the accusation, stating that "only the themes of plastic surgery and romance are similar" in the two dramas. It also plans to file a defamation suit against DK E&M for the latter's "baseless" claims.[17]

On October 8, 2018, DK E&M sought help from the Korean Television and Radio Writers Association regarding the controversy, saying that "the attitude of SBS regarding the situation was disappointing".[18]

@Rafael PascualThank you for the post. Interesting. The premise according to what I read is the same as the wife who gets plastic surgery to hide from abusive husband. The rest of the stories are not discussed as to what happened after that. But now the drama becomes controversial and may get more people to watch the drama or even both dramas. Sometimes controversies do spark interest on the subject of controversy. I am trying to find the J drama but so far no luck maybe because it was aired in 1999 according to the Soompi article. I would definitely watch the J drama to see what the hulabaloo is all about. 

1 hour ago, zenya22 said:

@Rafael PascualThank you for the post. Interesting. The premise according to what I read is the same as the wife who gets plastic surgery to hide from abusive husband. The rest of the stories are not discussed as to what happened after that. But now the drama becomes controversial and may get more people to watch the drama or even both dramas. Sometimes controversies do spark interest on the subject of controversy. I am trying to find the J drama but so far no luck maybe because it was aired in 1999 according to the Soompi article. I would definitely watch the J drama to see what the hulabaloo is all about. 

I am not surprised about the lawsuit, knets on naver have been calling out this drama for plagiarism since the start. I doubt this lawsuit will go anywhere though since I don't think they usually do. If you're looking for the Jdrama use the name "Utsukushii Hito" when searching, you should be able to find it. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kysy said:

I am not surprised about the lawsuit, knets on naver have been calling out this drama for plagiarism since the start. I doubt this lawsuit will go anywhere though since I don't think they usually do. If you're looking for the Jdrama use the name "Utsukushii Hito" when searching, you should be able to find it. 

@kysythank you so much. 

@zenya22 well if i use the english title, it's hard to find since "beautiful person" is too generic. but when i thought of @kysy's post i used the japanese title and i found some info:

• Title: 美しい人
  • Title (romaji): Utsukushii Hito
  • Also known as: Le Bel Homme / Beauty
  • Format: Renzoku
  • Genre: Romance
  • Episodes: 10
  • Viewership ratings: 16.7%
  • Broadcast network: TBS
  • Broadcast period: 1999-Oct-15 to 1999-Dec-17
  • Air time: Friday 22:00
  • Theme songs:
    • "L'aquoiboniste" & "Yesterday Yes a Day" by Jane Birkin
    • "Muzosa Shinshi" by Okasaki Ritsuko

Production Credits

Nojima Shinji was mentioned in the Soompi article.

SBS Responds To Accusations Of Plagiarism From Japanese Production Company

Sep 29, 2018
by C. Hong

On September 29, SBS’s weekend drama “Let Me Introduce Her” responded to reports of plagiarism from drama production company DK E&M.

SBS’s statement said, “‘Let Me Introduce Her’ is about a woman who just wants to live happily with her daughter after her chaebol husband abuses her. She undergoes plastic surgery to find the phone that contains evidence of her husband’s abuse but ends up losing her memory. This is all screenwriter Park Un Hee’s creation. This was made clear from the drama’s first episode.”

SBS continued, “DK E&M’s claim that ‘Let Me Introduce Her’ was plagiarized is a completely baseless claim. Not only that, but it’s a claim that doesn’t deserve to be taken seriously. Park Un Hee is well aware of Noshima Shinji’s reputation, but has never seen the Japanese drama ‘Beautiful Person.’

“Since the claim of plagiarism was made, the production staff reviewed the Japanese drama and found that only the themes of plastic surgery and romance are similar. The two productions are completely different.

“The production staff regrets that DK E&M made such a baseless claim of plagiarism and cast suspicion on Park Un Hee’s name. Park Un Hee and the rest of the production staff intends to respond strongly to DK E&M’s claim through legal means.”

DK E&M is the drama production company behind the Japanese drama “Beautiful Person” (literal translation), written by Noshima Shinji. It aired in 1999 and tells the story of a woman who gets plastic surgery to hide from her abusive husband. The company accused SBS of plagiarizing their drama and said that they would take legal action for copying important scenes and general direction from their work.

You can watch “Let Me Introduce Her” below:

Watch Now

Source (1) (2)

Actually this article has some mistakes:

1. It mentioned that DK E&M is based in Japan, but it is based in South Korea.

2. The writer's name in the article was Noshima Shinji, not Nojima Shinji.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 4:17 AM, Rafael Pascual said:

Actually this article has some mistakes:

1. It mentioned that DK E&M is based in Japan, but it is based in South Korea.

2. The writer's name in the article was Noshima Shinji, not Nojima Shinji.

@Rafael Pascual good update, thank you once again. Yes, I read that DK E&M was the firm wanting to remake the J drama but was ruined by the showing of LMIH. I was able to find the J drama in You Tube and it was 11 episodes and binge watched in the space of 2 days. What I find interesting is the J drama was shorter and daring. In the J drama the abusive husband fit the profile of the obsessed abuser to a T and was imprisoned at the end. In LMIH, the obsessed wife beater never got time but went for "treatment". The premise was the same and very similar with some revisions and could be conjectured as a remake. In LMIH, they threw in the amnesia for the abused woman after surgery and the abuser was a chaebol heir. In "Beautiful Person" the abusive husband was a police man. The plastic surgeon in "Beautiful Person" created a face like the face of his dead wife, in LMIH, the plastic surgeon created the face of his mother which was weird. They both fell in love with their creation. The endings were similar in that both women ended with the plastic surgeon who operated on them. What I enjoyed in the Kdrama were the side stories of the side characters connected to the main characters. Their stories were also interesting and injected humor and family life into the drama the growth of relationships within the family therefore the 40 episodes. I enjoyed the LMIH very much. The J drama was shorter and focused on the main characters and I also liked it, for its directness. Thanks again for the article.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2018 at 11:54 AM, millicom said:

@bebebisous33 The song is "the moon represents my heart" and was a famous song by Teresa Teng.  HKW mentioned that this was his mom's favorite song and Eun han will not be able to guess it (because it was a mandarin song and not korean)

Kan chan ki sure isn't a good reporter, the way Jung soo jin can run circles around him.  I don't care for his methods as well, intimidating people, filing lawsuits, threatening a person's livelihood,  he's just a bully.  Good thing HKW refused to be intimidated.  

I saw a picture of Kim Jae won sitting with a SBC (Seoul Broadcasting Corp) logo behind him so I think his interview does push through.

I'm getting a little impatient on how slow the reveal is taking.  I hope the pay-off will be satisfactory and as dramatic as how they're presenting it.

Few people remember that this beautiful song by Teresa Teng (RIP) was also part of the drama "Beijing My Love" (2004), also starring Kim Jae Won. I do not know if it's chance .

Edited by mayraesther2000
  • Like 1

This drama  has hooked me. I can’t stop watching it all  in 3 days . :D

JEH is an amazing character. She has grown on me a lot I wasn’t expecting that at all .

In this incredible drama I love that we meet indecisive and naive JEH before her life could spin out of control , JEH the mother  who had to grow up really fast to get through the situation she was in and be much tougher than any one expected her to be and JEH the woman who struggling to survive and falling in love with her 

JEH obviously did not know how to handle KCK at first ( I am not sure many could anyway :lol:) but love how JEH tried her best to rebel and attempting to fight back .

It’s was interesting how KCK was convinced that she’s the only one for him but still abused her the way he did 

I will come back to talk about KCK as much as he drain me mentally I loved his character .

• Like 1

On 10/13/2018 at 7:42 AM, zenya22 said:

@Rafael Pascual good update, thank you once again. Yes, I read that DK E&M was the firm wanting to remake the J drama but was ruined by the showing of LMIH. I was able to find the J drama in You Tube and it was 11 episodes and binge watched in the space of 2 days. What I find interesting is the J drama was shorter and daring. In the J drama the abusive husband fit the profile of the obsessed abuser to a T and was imprisoned at the end. In LMIH, the obsessed wife beater never got time but went for "treatment". The premise was the same and very similar with some revisions and could be conjectured as a remake. In LMIH, they threw in the amnesia for the abused woman after surgery and the abuser was a chaebol heir. In "Beautiful Person" the abusive husband was a police man. The plastic surgeon in "Beautiful Person" created a face like the face of his dead wife, in LMIH, the plastic surgeon created the face of his mother which was weird. They both fell in love with their creation. The endings were similar in that both women ended with the plastic surgeon who operated on them. What I enjoyed in the Kdrama were the side stories of the side characters connected to the main characters. Their stories were also interesting and injected humor and family life into the drama the growth of relationships within the family therefore the 40 episodes. I enjoyed the LMIH very much. The J drama was shorter and focused on the main characters and I also liked it, for its directness. Thanks again for the article.

UPDATE: DK E&M will push through with the remake, and it will air on MBC next year. https://www.soompi.com/article/1249775wpp/ji-hyun-woo-talks-join-han-chae-young-lee-chun-hee-oh-yoon-ah-new-drama

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 4:54 PM, Ameera Ali said:

This drama  has hooked me. I can’t stop watching it all  in 3 days . :D

JEH is an amazing character. She has grown on me a lot I wasn’t expecting that at all .

In this incredible drama I love that we meet indecisive and naive JEH before her life could spin out of control , JEH the mother  who had to grow up really fast to get through the situation she was in and be much tougher than any one expected her to be and JEH the woman who struggling to survive and falling in love with her 

JEH obviously did not know how to handle KCK at first ( I am not sure many could anyway :lol:) but love how JEH tried her best to rebel and attempting to fight back .

It’s was interesting how KCK was convinced that she’s the only one for him but still abused her the way he did 

I will come back to talk about KCK as much as he drain me mentally I loved his character .

@Ameera Ali  though it is over now, I am glad you enjoyed the drama. I think that KCK is the obsessive/abusive type. He can't let her go but he can't love her the way she needed to be loved. It is all about him and his ego. Obsessive/abusive personalities are mentally/psychologically ill. One of the movies that was discussed and was compared to in this drama was Sleeping With the Enemy. Same thing, he was obsessed with the woman abused her but could not let her go. Anyway, I do hope you give us your thoughts on KCK. 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 12:39 AM, Rafael Pascual said:

UPDATE: DK E&M will push through with the remake, and it will air on MBC next year. https://www.soompi.com/article/1249775wpp/ji-hyun-woo-talks-join-han-chae-young-lee-chun-hee-oh-yoon-ah-new-drama

@Rafael PascualI looked up the article and it seems that MBC will air the drama by February. I will be waiting for this just to see how it compares to the J drama and LMIH. Thank you.