Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2018] Let me introduce her / If it's her / About Her, 그녀로 말할 것 같으면

17 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

OK, so that suicide attempt was only for show, a pity play. KCK acted depressed in front of Jung and then took the bottle of liqour which he probably diluted with water or tea and went to get the sleeping pills making sure Jung saw what he was doing. Notice that there were more pills scatterred on the floor of the bathroom. He knew to take just enough to make him woozy or half conscious. When he was brought by the ambulance he was breathing on his own. The ambulance workers did not use anything to help him breath. It was more an attempt to manipulate, a last ditch effort to get EH back. Another scheme out of his box of crafty strategies. Before he acted out his plan, he saw Jung going down the basement through the CCTV and said "I trust you to do your part" and Jung acted out exactly how he expected her to do. Panicked, called the ambulance and everyone else. In the meantime, no one even cared that the Chairwoman was being detained for questioning at the police station. He never thought about his daughter witnessing and being confused by the hulabaloo he created. But he did not get the pity party that he was aiming for, instead Dara and mom camped out at Dr. Han's porch. 

That I think, is the problem (from how I see it). It is how JEH interprets Min's actions. JEH was a victim of abuse was fearful for her life and her daughter's and in EH view she was being abused by three people and she had no where to go and no one to ask for help. Min exacerbated her fear by her mean behavior and by acting like she did not know, or ignored it or did not care. Min asked Dr. Jang to help who diagnosed her daughter in law as depressed put her on antidepressants and sleeping pills. 5 years in that mansion is a long time for JEH to be tussled back and forth in emergency rooms, mental hospitals, and the basement and for Min to be "acting." It took 5 years for her to do something. In one of the latest episodes, EH confronts her mother in law for not being able to do as she promised, help EH get a divorce and custody of Dara because of her son. She knows what she is talking about because she has 5 years experience of "ommoni" not getting involved. 

I agree with you. Min ignored the abuse and hoped that JEH would leave KCK on her own. When I mentioned Min helped JEH much more than I had first imagined, I was actually talking about the time JEH had decided to run away and left the mansion. At some point Min had realized that JEH would never be able to leave on her own hence she decided to help from behind. Min should have stopped her son in the first place... but like it was really pointed out during this drama, KCK was definitely sick and it took a long time for Min to realize that. 

What I really liked in this drama is that the domestic abuse is shown as "mental illness" and it looks a lot like a drug addiction. However, it also underlines that many people are somehow involved in domestic violence. People who know about such a thing should intervene and not wait until that the victim decides to leave the abusive spouse. Victims need to get support and help from many people. Indifference or acting as if they knew nothing is actually helping the abusive spouse.

• Like 8

it looks like the drama was far more layered than at first glance.. guess it is one of those dramas where little details would stick more on re-watch. thanks @bebebisous33 for pointing it out..

so was rather satisfied with the finale. overall, the drama always had a weirdly light and cheerful tone to it. @zenya22 ~ for some reason, it is chairman min's few scenes that stand out to me in this drama. her steely sad resolve when she calls eun han and tells her to release the video. she was willing to take responsibility for releasing the video and telling dara that it was her choice so that eun han wouldn't have to bear the guilt. seeing butler jang getting beaten up was a sort of wake up call to how horrible the abuse actually was. and while she can't do much as penance, she apologized and was taking some of the burden of eun han's shoulders. the other scene was when she showed up in the broadcasting station ready to take him home.

what I liked about the drama is that eventually eun han was the one who really helped herself. so the hug of her old and new self shows that journey. doctor han's journey was also interesting. learning about his parents' relationship as well as never wavering even clingy second lead showed up. by the way, how impressive was this martin character whom we never saw? the stepfather who shows up 4 times a year to visit his stepson even after his ex separates and keeps contact with the kid. had to laugh when the boy said clingy had only 3 phrases whereas martin actually talked to him. that was rather sweet.. and the psychiatrist -- he actually has a nice build! hahahahha...

and butler jung, well, she got what she wanted and found herself dumped by both chairman min and chan ki who don't want any painful reminders of the past. "where did we go wrong" is the question that haunts her.

by the way, does anyone know what kind of therapy group chan ki was in? was it some sort of anger management program? found it very interesting that the drama wanted to humanize him and show a far more complex picture. yes, his kid loves him and is afraid of him. he loved his wife but also abused her. it is difficult to wrap our heads around it but I guess thats true of reality as well?

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Just finished watching the final episode. This was really a great drama. Thumbs up to the whole team. I hope the ratings were high. Because they deserve a good rating. 

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

What I really liked in this drama is that the domestic abuse is shown as "mental illness" and it looks a lot like a drug addiction. However, it also underlines that many people are somehow involved in domestic violence. People who know about such a thing should intervene and not wait until that the victim decides to leave the abusive spouse. Victims need to get support and help from many people. Indifference or acting as if they knew nothing is actually helping the abusive spouse.

yea that was really fascinating take because am so used to the movies where she turns and fights him or something and he ends up dead or finally in jail. here they refused to go down the route and showed something very different. we have a glimpse into potentially why he did. he said that with his mom, he was always no 2 and eun han was the first person with whom he was first priority. so perhaps, his insecurity and need to control out of fear turned sadistic? whatever it is, was interesting that they show him attending some sort of therapy session. it was a bit of a revelation because that is not something you see at all often.

• Like 6

@Lmangla Yes, I believe that KCK has anger management issues coupled with the feeling that he was never really loved by his own mother.  He mentioned it when he talked to JEH on the rooftop. LMIH 5 1.pngLMIH 5 2.png

I found it striking that we were shown KCK doing some yoga in an earlier episode. Notice the contrast between the two different sports KCK and HKW are doing. The latter rides a bike in order to let off some steam, the other chooses yoga. On the surface, KCK looks like someone who can control his energy and indirectly his anger, since he appears as someone calm while in reality he is the total opposite. He is actually a control freak so that at some point he kind of explodes when he is frustrated or annoyed. As you can see, this insignificant scene has a total different meaning after knowing the whole story. To me, KCK's anger management issues have their origin in the way he was raised: he might have been neglected by his own mother (who was more focusing on the business and the family reputation). Moreover, I sense that she must have put so much pressure on him as he was expected to be so perfect in everything... The more he must have tried to please her, the more he felt that he could never get love and recognition from her. At some point he started hating her and looked for someone who represented the opposite of his mother. Only at the end, KCK was able to realize that his mother had always loved him, when his own mother stood by his side after his crime had been revealed. She didn't fear the heinous comment and went to pick him up... finally he got aware that even if he is not perfect, his mother still loves him. 

@zenya22 @USAFarmgirl

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

2 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Only at the end, KCK was able to realize that his mother had always loved him, when his own mother stood by his side after his crime had been revealed. She didn't fear the heinous comment and went to pick him up... finally he got aware that even if he is not perfect, his mother still loves him. 

thought it took a lot of courage to get out of that car and walk determined towards him even as others were watching. and then to gently say they will figure things out once they get home. at the same time, you see him protecting dara by signalling her to not come towards him and to look away. that was a really interesting scene. and yea, in the final scene in the car, you see both of them are so much more at ease with each other. she knows that his recovery and issues are not going to go away immediately and tells him to take his time. so there is no longer this pressure to be perfect...

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Lmangla said:

thought it took a lot of courage to get out of that car and walk determined towards him even as others were watching. and then to gently say they will figure things out once they get home. at the same time, you see him protecting dara by signalling her to not come towards him and to look away. that was a really interesting scene.

yea, that was really interesting scene, he looks towards EH and Dara and protects his daughter by slightly shaking his head, no don't come near. Chairwoman Min was watching the broadcast at home, so I guess she knew when the video will hit the airwaves and drove over to pick him up. It is interesting that she did not go there when he was on the ledge of the rooftop but she let EH go to him. I guess she knew that EH is and has always been the one that could influence and move her son in a weird way, because of his attachment to her and also is the mother of the daughter he loves.  And how Chairwoman Min parked her car in between the onlookers and Chang Ki as if to protect him knowing people's tendency to throw things and sometimes attack. It is true that witnessing the beat up of Jung had awakened her to the realization that her son is sick and needs help/intensive immediately. As for the group therapy he was attending, it could be a program specifically designed to address abusive behaviors such as battering intervention and prevention programs. 

I also love the scene where she goes to the Berlioz scene of the abuse at the basement with the all the speakers and sort of accepted herself let go of her past be this new strong self and be happy. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, zenya22 said:

As for the group therapy he was attending, it could be a program specifically designed to address abusive behaviors such as battering intervention and prevention programs. 

what is battery intervention and prevention programs? what is the concept? how does it work? so how is domestic abuse approached? have never heard of this term before...

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Lmangla said:

what is battery intervention and prevention programs? what is the concept? how does it work? so how is domestic abuse approached? have never heard of this term before...

It is just one of the terms for programs to train abusers in an abusive relationship and terms vary according to location. I don't know exactly how they work but I think the focus is in teaching changing from violence to non violence actions. I just mentioned it since it is a program specific to abusers and Chang KI in that scene you asked about admits to beating his wife

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

It is just one of the terms for programs to train abusers in an abusive relationship and terms vary according to location. I don't know exactly how they work but I think the focus is in teaching changing from violence to non violence actions. I just mentioned it since it is a program specific to abusers. 

ah I see; thanks. didn't know such programs existed. guess it is something new I learned from watching this drama. in other dramas and movies, it is always jail or death that is the ending for such characters and so this really stood out.

• Like 4

It should be no surprise to anyone here that I was just hoping he would jump and it would have even been better if Jung had  jumped with him. 

Mind you in most cases I believe in second chances still when I think of his nature and what he did to not one but two women and even worse the scars he has placed on his daughters heart for there are some things that not even time or forgiveness can erase...

Loved  being a small part of this thread and am thankful for those here who enlightened me through their thoughts and words:heart:

On 9/30/2018 at 3:08 PM, Lmangla said:

ah I see; thanks. didn't know such programs existed. guess it is something new I learned from watching this drama. in other dramas and movies, it is always jail or death that is the ending for such characters and so this really stood out.

unfortunately, what the ending in the movies and dramas you said, are truer than not in real life. I was doing some research on domestic abuse while watching this drama and learned that ending in death have a high percentage, I don't remember the number but was I think in the 70's and it is usually the victims who die and mostly women. Yes abusers get killed too but it is more likely that the victims of abuse that are killed and those that try to leave the abusive relationship have a high percentage 85% of being killed. That is why planning with the safety of the abused person leaving the relationship is important. Some abusers who die in the obssessed type of abuser die in a murder/suicide scenario where they kill the person of their obsession and kill themselves. 

There are different types of abusers. In this drama, the obsessive, egoistic type of abuser in the character of Chang Ki is emphasized. It showed the many ways in which  Chang Ki tries to manipulate the person of his obsession using his mother, butler Jang, even his daughter and his mother in law. He stages a suicide attempt and threatens financial ruin to his rivals. 

The conversation between Chang Ki and Eun Han at EH mom' home is interesting in it's revelation. Chang Ki goes to his mother in law whom he probably manipulated from the early stages of his marriage to be his ally and now wants mother in law again to side with him. He says to EH, we married because we were in love and happy, I will change and will not hit you again, we can go back to where we were before. EH replies with: yes we were in love and it was that love which made me stay with you and hoping and believing you will change. Very common and naive thinking that loving someone can make them change a psychological syndrome of controlled alliance between the abuser and abused and manipulator like Chang Ki uses it to his advantage with sweet promises of change/gifts...notice the jewelry, clothes and everything that JEH needs is provided. But this time, after years of abuse, a more experienced and wisened Eun Han tells Chang Ki she heard it all before and used to believe in his promise but no more.

• Like 6

I really hope this drama get the ratings and recognition it deserves. It was very well played out. Coming from a country were domestic violence is prevalent it did a good job bringing up the issue.

@USAFarmgirl you deffo weren't alone. I was actually sitting blowing like I'm blowing out birthday candles like I expected by some magic a breeze would come and blow him off. That being said there usually some root cause with abusers so it was good how they dealt with KCK. We saw his human side when it came to Data. Not to condone it but I  was glad Jung felt them hands let her feel what she was encouraging, mind I wanted EJH to beat both of em :D:sweatingbullets:. She too needs therapy cause she too got so deep issues. 

Totally in love with the little actor how played Yoo Jin he played him so we and I so adorable. Hats off to all the cast and crew involved, they done good. 

Been great lurking and occasionally commenting on this thread. You guys were a hoot. Till the next time....take care

• Like 7

5 hours ago, USAFarmgirl said:

It should be no surprise to anyone here that I was just hoping he would jump and it would have even been better if Jung had  jumped with him. 

Mind you in most cases I believe in second chances still when I think of his nature and what he did to not one but two women and even worse the scars he has placed on his daughters heart for there are some things that not even time or forgiveness can erase...

Loved  being a small part of this thread and am thankful for those here who enlightened me through their thoughts and words:heart:

I quite frankly didn’t like KCK from very early on when I saw his little controlling ways begin to manifest. The first time my senses went off was when he walked into the police station and practically dragged JEH by the hand to take her fingerprints without first explaining this to her. My instincts were immediately engaged. That is not how normal people act. Then when they got home, the little things he demanded of her further increased my suspicion of some type of controlling factor. It was therefore not a surprise to me that he was revealed to be such a man who beats on a woman. He was also always the main villain for me no matter how wicked Jung was. I just cannot tolerate a man beating up his wife. I loathe it to the extreme. 

Perhaps it’s because I used to watch Lifetime Network movies years ago and almost all their movies were about husbands killing their wives and most of them were based on true stories. Dateline NBC used to air crime investigations on Friday nights too and they were real life stories about mostly husbands killing their wives. This topic is something that really makes my blood boil too because a lot of the times the poor wives had to continue living in hell until it leads to their death. Worse if their husbands are obsessed with them. Restraining orders didn’t have the effect it should and the wives still end up dead. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2018 at 5:50 AM, Lmangla said:

and butler jung, well, she got what she wanted and found herself dumped by both chairman min and chan ki who don't want any painful reminders of the past. "where did we go wrong" is the question that haunts her.

In the last scene of chairwoman Min and CK in the car where mom says that Jung sent CK a postcard and asked if they should visit Jung. It seems that CK was in some kind of intervention program/facility while Jung was in prison. CK tells his mother it would be better to leave Jung alone and not have contact with her. CK then echoes the same sentiment as Jung where did I start to go wrong? In my opinion it is is a very good question and place for both to start from. The question focuses on identifying the root causes for the onset of their abusive behavior and the responsibility on themselves. Jung says, it was not my first intention and to me smacks of "blame". Working then on finding the intentions she originally had that serves her and others well is setting the responsibility on herself. As for CK, it is progress that he is accepting the support of his mother and are working together towards change and healing. I do think that the drama dealt with CK lightly. Violence, battering against women or anyone is a criminal act and against the law in some places but that is another subject for discussion. 

What I like in the drama, there is no plot of revenging but more about change/growth and taking responsibillty as well as the movement of relationships that accompanies the growth and change in the characters. Even the character of clingy CY had a moment of understanding and change which was facilitated by her 7 year old most adorable and perceptive son Yoojin, when he mentioned the difference in parenting between CY and his stepfather Martin. The talk between Dr. Han's father and CY where he told her that he married a woman he was in love with who could not forget her first love and 30 years into the marriage, took all his money and left to save the man she could not forget from bankruptcy. That gave CY a push to change her intentions to marry the father of her son whom she left 7 years ago and who no longer is into her, Dr Han. She did not want that kind of relationship. But then she also helped Dr. Han understand his father when she enlightened Dr Han about what happened between his parents. Dr. Han asked his father why he never told him and his father says, he did not want for Dr. Han to be angry at his mother after all if not for the mother Dr Han will not have been born. There was also change in the supportive characters such as the mother of EH from a docile woman to a more assertive and protective mother. 

I have to confess that two of my favorite characters are the wise Yoo Jin and brave Dara. 

Bows to all the crew/actors, PD, writers and all who made this drama possible:thumbsup::thumbsup::heart::heart:

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

19 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

What I like in the drama, there is no plot of revenging but more about change/growth and taking responsibillty as well as the movement of relationships that accompanies the growth and change in the characters. Even the character of clingy CY had a moment of understanding and change which was facilitated by her 7 year old most adorable and perceptive son Yoojin, when he mentioned the difference in parenting between CY and his stepfather Martin. The talk between Dr. Han's father and CY where he told her that he married a woman he was in love with who could not forget her first love and 30 years into the marriage, took all his money and left to save the man she could not forget from bankruptcy. That gave CY a push to change her intentions to marry the father of her son whom she left 7 years ago and who no longer is into her, Dr Han. She did not want that kind of relationship. But then she also helped Dr. Han understand his father when she enlightened Dr Han about what happened between his parents. Dr. Han asked his father why he never told him and his father says, he did not want for Dr. Han to be angry at his mother after all if not for the mother Dr Han will not have been born. There was also change in the supportive characters such as the mother of EH from a docile woman to a more assertive and protective woman. 

it was interesting how interactions with doctor han's father basically opened CY's eyes. it is funny because her negative -- selfishness and inability to stick around when things go wrong -- is also a positive here because she stops clinging to doctor. she knows that she is not the type to wait for 30 years for him to return love and look back and find that he never did. she doesn't have it in her. so while she recognizes she is selfish, she has gained enough awareness to perhaps try and work on it. at the same time, it also opened her eyes to martin's love and that she perhaps out of guilt was holding on to doctor. don't think it was love but rather a kind of what if. perhaps, she felt that blood was thicker than water and she owed it to her son to give him a dad. however, yoo jin's statement showed that the kid already had a good father figure in martin and the love is mutual. yoo jin wants to go to paris to live with his stepdad. so it was a real eye opener in that sense...

and yea, I liked how the dad's character also shaped up and how the misunderstandings were resolved. yea, for once the second lead clingy character was actually kind of useful. we get why the dad was so resentful of the debt because it wasn't just debt; in a way, it showed that the 30 years of his married life meant nothing to his wife. however, life goes on and he is able to comfort himself in the thought of his son. ultimately, the show was really about moving on and finding meaning and contentment wherever one is. like you said, rather than revenge, the drama's was about change and growth, a second chance at life and moving on. perhaps, thats why the overall tone was light and fluffy despite dark themes of abuse.

• Like 4

underrrated drama, glad I waited to binge-watched this! I love how caring/protective Kang Woo is for Eun Han :wub: my heart melts even when they are just hugging, so happy they ended up together in the end!

My favourite side characters were Kim Seong Ho (when he started going after Jung Soo Jin) and Ms Hwang (the way she stood up to Jung after she fired her was awesome :lol: I liked that scene where Eun Han was imagining/hugging her past self in the audio room, it was sad/touching for me. Chae Young was annoying for half of the show, glad she gave up in the end. I wished they would show Chan Ki's perspective more, why/how he became like that, also wonder why don't he just buy a punching bag instead of beating her up :angry: 

also whenever I see Hyun Soo she reminds me of Kim Go Eun? I loved the background music, a few of them are based off of D-Day's bgm. This one just makes the show more exciting/dramatic :D

forgot to ask who opened the gate for EH to drive through it?

• Like 4

On 9/30/2018 at 9:46 AM, zenya22 said:

As for the group therapy he was attending, it could be a program specifically designed to address abusive behaviors such as battering intervention and prevention programs. 

Here! Here! For SK featuring that there is programs for abusers and possibly other things that can help people through therapy! With so much attention to depression which is another thing that gets thrown under the rug, it was refreshing to see. As a matter of fact, you don't see much of it ever shown in dramas.

Once again, I really should have come to my favorite place, Soompi forums to discuss this drama. This is definitely in my top 10 in being complete and succinct. I felt no stone was left unturned, Jang sat in prison still clueless but that really was her character, and HKW and JEH had moved on. I also love CK's son who said what he wanted and his description of his mother was so telling! Santa Dad was always there, even when he showed up only 4 times a year, compared to his own mother; and he leaves SK knowing that Shark Dad will be there for him too! Though his mother annoyed me to no end, his addition was great! Was I the only one who tuned out every time she was seeing that little children's diddy? I swear I cannot remember that song but others were complaining about it!! Great job by the writer! After her last disaster, what a comeback!!

• Like 4

hi! any thought on this?

Plagiarism controversy[edit]

On September 2018, South Korean production company DK E&M (CEO Kim Dong-gu), the company behind the dramas Blow Breeze, Working Mom Parenting Daddy and Here Comes Mr. Oh, announced its plan to file a plagiarism lawsuit against SBS, its subsidiary SBS Plus and Shinyoung E&C Group, accusing Let Me Introduce Her of "plagiarizing" the 1999 Japanese drama Beautiful Person. DK E&M has been in talks with TBS (the original network of Beautiful Person) since November 2017 to produce a Korean drama adaptation of it, and was planning to broadcast the series in 2019 but that was affected, allegedly because SBS aired Let Me Introduce Her first.[16]

SBS has since denied the accusation, stating that "only the themes of plastic surgery and romance are similar" in the two dramas. It also plans to file a defamation suit against DK E&M for the latter's "baseless" claims.[17]

On October 8, 2018, DK E&M sought help from the Korean Television and Radio Writers Association regarding the controversy, saying that "the attitude of SBS regarding the situation was disappointing".[18]

• Like 1