[Drama 2018] Let me introduce her / If it's her / About Her, 그녀로 말할 것 같으면

0ly40

Just saw the raw and no subs yet but even then the episodes make me so angry and very sad. Unfortunately, domestic abuse happens and in a patriarchal societies probably more often than not. I am so angry that Jung was allowed to stay and tolerated after grandmother Min saw Jung lock up a protesting and screaming Dara in a windowless shed. She could have died there suffocated and in the heat no air. Anyone, even a stranger who saw that would have called the police and Jung should have been fired on the spot. Let us not forget that Jung had ordered the murder of EH and now plans to kill the daughter. That for me is intolerable and in my humble opinion, a big failure by the writers. Min is the Boss in that family yet being controlled and fooled by the evil butler. Again, anyone witnessing an adult pushing and locking a child in a windowless coop is cruelty and would have called the police. I can't believe that the writers would have Min just yell at crazy Jung and not have her carted away by the police right there and then. Big,big no,no,nooooooo. A mother would never have left Dara in that situation with Jung still in charge of the house.

In the episode where the old EH before she had the plastic surgery and her story was re-told,  her abuse, her escape, her earnest learning of self defense, the conversation between EH and mother in law, made me cry even though there were no subs. Anyhow, knowing how dangerously mentally unstable her husband and the butler are, she should have insisted  that she gets Dara with her. Her mother would have been a good baby sitter. 

Although I am glad that spousal abuse is being addressed in the drama. These are very complicated issues that sometimes end tragically for the abused.  Seems EH is rescued and is fighting to get justice. Hopefully she will get Dara out of that dreadful house. I can't wait for the 2 scums of the earth get their due. Although, with KCK's ego, I wonder if he would tolerate the ruining of his image, his "face" and go to prison or will rather commit suicide? 

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@zenya22  you guessed well enough. I just finished watching with subs. @tulip06, that was my thought exactly. Why isn’t she defending herself but I think she was allayed by past memory of the situation. She said as much to Dr. Han. I was fuming for most of the first episode. I was literally taking deep breaths in order not to fast forward any scene because I couldn’t stand seeing JEH so helpless and scared. I loathe her husband so much. Even more than I dislike Jung. She’s evil yes but he’s on another level because he’s depraved. He find absolutely nothing wrong with how he beats, threatens and control JEH. He says JEH won’t expose him because he’s Dara’s father.

Things we learned this episode:

1. JEH’s mother knew about the abuse but turned a blind eye to it thinking that it only occurred once. She said because of how much the anchor helped particularly with her son’s surgery, she didn’t have any face in front of him.
  2. Chairman Min accused the mother of sacrificing JEH for money. She said she overheard JEH pleading with her mother to save her while they were at the funeral for Min’s husband and the mother didn’t listen to JEH.
  3. The mother defended herself by telling Min that the apartment and store is still under the anchor’s name. She said she dare not take anything from the anchor except the surgery for her dying son. She said they will move out and give up the house soon. She had no idea her daughter was enduring that kind of constant abuse and that she was living with a monster.
  4. Min was the one who opened the gate for JEH to escape with Dr. Han. We also found out that Chairman Min was the one who got the apartment for JEH through Dr. Jang. @bebebisous33, was it you who had speculated this Min was the one sponsoring the apartment before? Chairman Min all along was trying to save JEH while sparing her son. That’s probably why Dr. Jang hung up the phone once he found out JEH lost her memory. They both wanted her to live a new life away from the anchor. Min was also continuously mean to JEH to get her to divorce Kang because she knew he was beating her.
  5. One of the news reporters who came to the house met with JEH and wrote an article about her and her plastic surgery. I want to believe he knows more because when he call the anchor to tell him about the article, he told him abruptly, smiled then hung up on him.
  6. Dr. Han came up with the idea to make JEH more publicly known to give her more protection as a person who is sound and not depressed.
  7. The anchor still believes that he has a fighting chance after JEH sent him the video of him and Jung getting it on. Even though she threatened him at the tv news station that if he doesn’t give her a divorce she will send the video to the bureau chief, he thinks he can gain the advantage by having his idol worshipper to dig up the truth behind JEH’s plastic surgery. She like the avid fan has already begun to work on it and unofficially interviews Dr. Han’s nonchalant cousin who basically scoffs at the absurdity that JEH needed plastic surgery because of a car accident. He doesn’t realize that she’s really interviewing him but in passing mentions to himself that he got a bad vibe from her questions.
  8. Dr. Han’s cousin already found out that JEH was being abused through his discussion with that same reporter girl who told him that the symphony is from Sleeping with the Enemy and gave him the rundown on the story. He therefore understood then that JEH was being abused.
  9. Min asked JEH to join the company to build up her work experience and ability to financially support Dara. In exchange she asks JEH not to release the videos to the public. She said she will get her no-good son to agree to the divorce and to give up custody of Dara.
  10. JEH asks Min to fire Jung from the company and the house as a condition to their agreement. She also tells a surprised Min that Jung is the one who convinced Dara to say she stopped talking because she saw her mother commit suicide. She basically told Min the main things that Jung did. Min goes home and promptly fires Jung and tells her she’s inhuman. She said she couldn’t believe she was fooled by her.
  11. When Min caught Jung locking Dara in the shed, she got quite upset and told her never to go near Dara.
  12. Dara convinces her mother to leave her behind after she realizes her grandmother is the strongest in the house and will protect her.
  13. Hitman 1 gave Dr. Han more evidence on Jung and left. 
  14. At the end of the show scumbag comes to Dr. Han’s place to show him the draft article that he and his assistant intends to release disparaging him for performing plastic surgery on a depressed, suicidal woman. Dr. Han is unmoved because scumbag just basically crossed the line that JEH had set to decide if she should send him to hell. She wanted to give him a chance as Dara’s father.

The anchor really has a God complex. He thinks he’s untouchable. His mother is pleading with him to get help and he basically turned the blame on her even though she was already blaming herself and said as much. She thought she brought him up wrong and she wants him to see a counselor which he refuses to do.

Honestly, I think this guy is dangerous in the sense that he will never leave JEH alone. I think he either needs to end up dead, in jail or JEH needs to go into witness program. I don’t think she’ll live safely with him on the loose because I feel he’s capable of more than he’s done so far.

154images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNAE7HpV0BUXccMjgVC40429.jpg

What the HECK!!!

I would have given anything if it had been him out of view and her giving him a taste of her ninja skills showing that not only her face had changed but that she had found courage to fight back and better.  Leaving him needing some plastic surgery of his own.  It could have been AMAZING!!!! which now I realize was really just a dream of hers and mine :bawling: Still it kind of made me sick thinking of not only his satisfaction of beating on her new look but even more his wicked sidekick Jung enjoying in knowing it too!!!  Seeing Jung walk around like she owns the place and everyone in it.  Not to mention locking up Dara I can't handle her or that...

There is no place for people like them because hades is to good...

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTW0UoT-muOph64fOgp09uimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMSn9AVhJw-zpkJtrCm6K

@celebrianna @USAFarmgirl @zenya22 Well, the two episodes from this week surprised me because I had kept saying before that Min would side with JEH but what I hadn't imagined is that president Min had helped JEH indirectly from the start. She knew all along that JEH had ran away from her son and helped her to hide. This explains why Min also accepted the idea of making a deal with HKW. She had two reasons for that: being thankful for helping JEH and on the surface helping CY.

As for KCK, I have no word. He is even worse than the husband from "sleeping with my enemy" because KCK gave in to imprison her for the rest of her life. He doesn't love JEH, he is just obsessed with her... He views her as an object hence showing resilience is a big no for him. The fact that he accepted the idea of sending JEH to a mental institute in the end underlines how much Jung could influence him. He still thinks, he is in control of everything. He is definitely a control freak. Yet what escaped his mind is how evil Jung is. He is unaware that she would lock his daughter because she didn't answer her question. Then he still doesn't know that Jung tried to kill his wife.

About the first video: I couldn't help myself from laughing, when Jung showed it to president Min in order to outline that JEH was just a terrible woman who would threaten her husband. Her move really illustrates her delusional and even lack of morals. She revealed to Min that she was sleeping with KCK and felt no remorse or shame! I do think that president Min will think differently about Jung after that. The CEO of EF Group always thought that her son was faithful... she wasn't aware of the cheating. One more reason for helping JEH in my opinion...

But my huge disappointment is the way LHS did her research in order to write that article. She questioned briefly HKW's cousin and concluded that HKW used a depressed woman in order to make money. I mean, she is writing an article about the sister of her boyfriend and she doesn't even ask him or KCK's wife. Honestly, I hope, JSH breaks up with her... because not only she is destroying JEH's life but also ruining HKW's reputation, a good man. Yes, she is a fan of KCK but she should have checked it more properly. She is a journalist and not a fan in the first place. Anyway, it will backfire on KCK because the doctor is now legitimate to reveal the physical abuse. Like HKW announced him, he made it even worse, as JEH is no longer obliged to keep the second video a secret. The video will be used and KCK will lose everything.

By the way, I am sure that the second video contains the attempted murder on JEH as well. JEH still believes that she tried to commit suicide but I don't believe it. Jung felt relieved when she saw the content of the first video. Let just say: the beginning of the second video shows KCK beating his wife, then Jung appears and asks her to cut her wrist. JEH actually refuses and maybe Jung says that she will take the matter into her hand. It would be great if KCK discovered it on air... @zenya22 I can definitely imagine KCK to attempt to committ suicide because not only his reputation is ruined but also he always thought that he was right about everything. He allowed Jung to manipulate him in the end and even believed her lies. Imagine how his huge ego will fall apart, when he realizes that he has been fooled by Jung. On the other hand, we shouldn't forget that he beat up JEH because she fooled him!! He really disliked the idea of being manipulated. So I can imagine his fury, when he discovers that Jung played him for so long... imagine his hatred and resent, when he gets aware that she was one of the reasons for the abuse. I do think, she encouraged him to mistreat his wife and her situation got worse because of her lies and manipulations. She was the one who drugged JEH... and in my opinion, KCK believed that JEH had depression. Notice that he refuses to acknowledge any responsibility in the abuse: "She deserved it because she played me"; "she deserved it because she was depressed". To conclude, KCK might beat up Jung and in the end he could attempt to commit suicide. 

The "worshipped" anchor's vanity will never admit that he is wrong or that he is defective. He will not let go of his wife ever. It is a little too late for him to get treatment. If he is forced to lose face with the public, his idealized ego will not be able to handle it. He will rather commit suicide than go to prison where he belongs. He threatened to put EH in a mental hospital and it would be so appropriately ironic that he ends up in a mental hospital for the criminally insane where he belongs, worse than prison where he will be drugged and isolated, no more public adoration to stroke his ego. As for Jung, the killers she hired and not paid properly, will come after her. I hope she gets the torture she has handed to EH for years, depriving her of her daughter, inciting and encouraging the spousal abuse, terrorizing Dara and the help and ordering murder not once but twice. Then put her into trial where she gets humiliated and derided then imprisoned. I want to see the public, scorn,  throw eggs, salt and curses on the two degenerates during their arrest. The way I see it,  both Jung and Kang Chang Ki are depraved. Jung is very dangerous more than CK, she is deliberate in her actions and smarter than CK,  she does not hesitate to murder to get what she wants. She ordered the murder of EH which failed since the EH learned self defense and she ordered the murder of Detective Kim which also failed as he was saved by Dr Han. Dara would have suffocated in that shed if Min did not happen to pass by and rescued her. The shed was made of concrete and had metal doors. That would be airless and the metal doors would absorb heat. Dara would have fried in there. That is child abuse. I still don't understand how she was not fired on the spot or authorities not called. A mother seeing that would have gone mama bear on Jung. It really astounds me that the character of President Min would not have done anything but yell at her.  However, from the start, she knew her son was "evil" her words, and did nothing to stop the abuse but she did help EH leave the first time and opened the gate for her this time around. Detective Kim gave a stick to Dr. Han so this strengthens the case against Jung, the recording of her order to kill EH. 

These last episodes were really disturbing. I hope that the last 4 episodes of the series will focus on the fight for justice of the "Save Me" team. That President Min will realize Jung is and has been the wrong person, the snake living in her house. She was hired to help but instead helped herself to the son. For the sake of Dara, she will be resolute in helping her daughter in law. They have CY and Jung connecting, hopefully, CY will realize before it is too late what kind of a person Jung is, that her young son or her "oppa"  and her business will be in danger if she associates with Jung. Please make the last 2 episodes concentrate on the healing process of the families. No more abusive anchor and no killer Jung. 

I agree with @bebebisous33that Ms Lee reporter is not worth her job description as a reporter. She is a disappointment. Yes, I hope Soo Ha will break up with her and Hee Young will drop her too. Both guys can definitely find finer women than her. She will get in big trouble with the station when they find out the truth about CK. She did not do her job well. 

The  characters of hope in this desperate episodes are Yoo Jin and Dara. They are children yet so mature in their innocence. They don't know it but they are the little Buddhas who are the saviors of their parents. I believe that CY in the end will see reason through Yoo Jin and let her son and his father be together with the woman her oppa loves. 

For me the the latest episode show how difficult it is for an abused person to get away from such a toxic environment and how abuse can persist today.  Sadly, most people, even if they feel that something is wrong will sometimes turn a blind eye and choose to ignore the situation.  They refuse to dig deeper because they don't want to get involved or some just don't  want to believe. In this case, you have servants who don't want to lose their jobs, for the family, its the feeling of indebtedness, for President Min, it's the love of a mother thinking she can save her son.  It takes a strong person to be willing to help even at a personal cost.  

To escape, the abused person has to be willing to save oneself and ask for help while the one helping has to help even in the face of intimidation and danger.

@zenya22 I guess, president Min didn't fire Jung on the spot because Jung has been helping her for so many years. She was horrified by her action but she still has no idea, how cruel and vicious Jung really is. In her eyes, she was a serious and reliable secretary and butler. She never saw the abusive behavior towards the house personal too.

• We shouldn't forget that president Min knows much less than the viewers. She was unaware that Jung harassed DR before.
  • I don't think that president Min would imagine that Jung would have left that child in that shed for hours. 

President Min heard about Jung from JEH much later. However JEH is a "biased" person (she has been hurt by her husband KCK and seems to resent Jung) hence she could have judged JEH's words as exaggerated.

As conclusion, President Min is still left in the dark about Jung's true personality: her greed, her obsession, her ruthlessness... she never saw the dynamic between Jung and her son KCK.

However, Jung showing her the video will give a new perspective about Jung for KCK's mother. This will prove that JEH has been saying the truth all along. Moreover the evidence brought by HKW about Jung hiring killers will be another proof that JSJ is dangerous and crazy. All this will make her open her eyes. She will remember meeting detective Kim twice. She will remember the phone call conversation, where she heard that the man had been killed. 

@millicom Yes, the story underlines how difficult it is for a victim of abuse to escape from that toxic environment. Even her own mother told her to overlook it. She considered being slapped as something normal. Moreover, she never questioned the cause of the depression for her daughter. She kept blaming her daughter all this time, although JEH had complained to her about the abuse. No domestic violence is acceptable and the mother supported the abusive husband. Honestly, JEH's mother disgusted me so much.   

finally caught up and woah! it really was sleeping with the enemy....

52 minutes ago, millicom said:

For me the the latest episode show how difficult it is for an abused person to get away from such a toxic environment and how abuse can persist today.  Sadly, most people, even if they feel that something is wrong will sometimes turn a blind eye and choose to ignore the situation.  They refuse to dig deeper because they don't want to get involved or some just don't  want to believe. In this case, you have servants who don't want to lose their jobs, for the family, its the feeling of indebtedness, for President Min, it's the love of a mother thinking she can save her son.  It takes a strong person to be willing to help even at a personal cost.  

To escape, the abused person has to be willing to save oneself and ask for help while the one helping has to help even in the face of intimidation and danger.

what was sad was how she told her mom and her mom just turned a blind eye. ugh. no wonder president min felt so disgusted with that family in a way.... :vicx: and yea, basically so many knew that she was a prisoner in her own house and no one did anything.. even the psychiatrist was helpless in a way. without evidence, it is hard to put up a fight...

1 hour ago, zenya22 said:

The way I see it,  both Jung and Kang Chang Ki are depraved. Jung is very dangerous more than CK, she is deliberate in her actions and smarter than CK,  she does not hesitate to murder to get what she wants.

yea, somehow, jung seems worse than chang ki because she is the puppet master behind this cruel puppet. she egged him to be more and more cruel in the hopes of wanting to take eun han's place. what is bizarre is that she thought that chang ki will never turn on her and she is somehow special. so she thought of eun han as a kind of dummy for taking the abuse and not being able to control him..... and I appreciated that the PDs didn't need to show us the violence for us to imagine how bad it was. the way they framed those scenes still gave us the creeps just with the implications...

8 hours ago, celebrianna said:

Honestly, I think this guy is dangerous in the sense that he will never leave JEH alone. I think he either needs to end up dead, in jail or JEH needs to go into witness program

somehow I see both jung and chang ki turning on each other. we already know that he doesn't have one ounce of affection for jung and as eun han put it, oddly enough, he values love and would never like someone as calculated as her. when jung fully realizes that, her wrath is going to turn on him. she keeps hammering on what all she had to put with for 5 years... so if he dies, she will be the one to stab him...

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

what I hadn't imagined is that president Min had helped JEH indirectly from the start. She knew all along that JEH had ran away from her son and helped her to hide.

it was interesting because min actually came across very helpless in some ways. couldn't stand eun han mom's stupid explanation but in a way, felt sorry for min. she didn't witness the abuse as he was careful to keep it away from her and other witnesses. so how to confront a fellow who's so delusional? and to top it off, she has tons to lose if it comes out -- her company, the family's reputation... so how do you protect everyone's interests? so she is hoping the problem will somehow go away only if eun han leaves... 

also it makes me wonder if min was actually afraid of her son. he exposed her company in the beginning as a kind of warning/revenge. so how often did he do that kind of mind games before? so perhaps she knew that if she got on his side, he would turn against her. it makes me think that despite being the boss, she too was a kind of prisoner in that house being manipulated by jung and chang ki. the only difference is she could step out but eun han couldn't...

I personally blame President Min more.  She alone had the power and the means to stop the abuse that happening under her nose and she chose not to do anything about it.  She looked down at JEH's mother but she was no better.  She perpetuated the abuse and lack the courage necessay to help her son.  Even now, I think she is delusional in thinking that she can get her son to do anything.

while watching, thought the actress does a great job of showing the internal struggle of president min -- how does one solve a problem when it is caused by a family member? how does one resolve an issue when it is your kid that is your problem? she seems to keenly hurt that it is her fault for not parenting bettter. can't remember what happened to the chang ki's dad but we know that he died 5 years ago. so for two years, these two were in the US. so she wasn't aware of whats happening across the ocean. only after they came back, she would have caught a whiff of it here and then... and she hopes that by being mean, eun han will pick up and leave herself but she didn't. so then how does one help someone who is not willing to walk away themselves? and now that eun han is stronger, her offer of help is much more direct but also very practical -- build a life and rebuild your reputation so you can get custody....

Going back to the first episodes and connecting them to these last episodes, tells a history of the beginnings and continuation of the obsessive/abusive personality of KCK as told by @bebebisous33 comparing the character to Bluebeard. KCK was attracted to JEH for the qualities he described "innocence, kindness yet spirited" but the attraction turned quickly into control, the "cardinal" sign of obsession. In the first episodes we see KCK kissing JEH passionately infront of their co workers at the station. One co-worker joked that the anchor was giving a warning to all that JEH was his woman and no one else. Little did he know how prophetic his words would become. Then KCK puts JEH in a no way out, obligatory and controlled situation when he pays for her brother's hospital bills, buys her family a house and a business to run. He rushed the marriage by registering it and no celebration, not letting his family, friends or acquaintances know and brought EH to the states. all signs of wanting absolute control. Back in SK, no news about her, no attendance of public affairs, no pictures of any kind and she is escorted everywhere by bodyguards, drivers or by the butler. Raging jealousy of anyone whom she associates with and the result of the jealousy will be her punishment or EH failure to meet his idealized expectations  of her as his perfect wife or his perception that he can't control will end up in abuse. 

On 9/16/2018 at 2:12 AM, bebebisous33 said:

I can definitely imagine KCK to attempt to committ suicide because not only his reputation is ruined but also he always thought that he was right about everything. He allowed Jung to manipulate him in the end and even believed her lies. Imagine how his huge ego will fall apart, when he realizes that he has been fooled by Jung. On the other hand, we shouldn't forget that he beat up JEH because she fooled him!! He really disliked the idea of being manipulated. So I can imagine his fury, when he discovers that Jung played him for so long... imagine his hatred and resent, when he gets aware that she was one of the reasons for the abuse. I do think, she encouraged him to mistreat his wife and her situation got worse because of her lies and manipulations. She was the one who drugged JEH... and in my opinion, KCK believed that JEH had depression. Notice that he refuses to acknowledge any responsibility in the abuse: "She deserved it because she played me"; "she deserved it because she was depressed". To conclude, KCK might beat up Jung and in the end he could attempt to commit suicide. 

I agree. When he realizes that he had been played by Jung he will blame Jung as the cause of his abuse and yes, I could see him beating up Jung for "making him abusive" .... 

@millicom, I don’t like to blame others for the actions of others but I do have to admit that Min is like an accessory to the crime of her son’s abuse. She should not have turned a blind eye to it even if she didn’t want to call the police on him. She was still protecting her son. I guess because she blames herself for his twisted personality she is and was weak towards him and in dealing with the situation. I really hope he continues to do what he’s doing so that his punishment would escalate. He needs to be dealt with severely because I can’t even see it registering in his mind that he did something wrong. I’m so tired of watching his arrogant mug. At least Jung shows fear and terror particularly when she thinks Hitman 1 would expose her but I have never seen the anchor terrified or fearful. He’s almost always arrogant and most likely thinks he’s untouchable no matter his inadequacies. 

Edit: Apparently the last episodes air on Saturday, September 29th because next Saturday a movie special will be airing instead. Anybody heard this too?

@celebrianna @millicom ~ am not sure if I misinterpreted but I was under the impression that from the beginning, doctor psychiatrist was min's middleman and that she was trying to cure eun han's depression in order to get eun han to find the strength to leave the situation. sort of indirectly help her as she couldn't do it directly. but I don't think she knew how chang ki and jung took advantage of eun han's depression to their own advantage... she did seem genuinely shocked by some of the revelations that eun han said. also not sure if it is delusion or simply her own desperate wishful thinking but she seems to see chang ki as someone who could potentially be helped through a mental healthcare professional.....

but just as a curiousity question: if suppose you knew (a very close family member) like chang ki was being abusive, so how does one deal with that kind of situation?

I just think that of all of the people, she has the capability to help JEH out of the situation.  The helpers can't do anything because they might lose their jobs.  JEH's mom couldn't help her at the time because I think after the operation, she was afraid that her son will still die, her brother was sick, the doctor because there was no evidence.  I acknowledge that she tried to help in a way but she was basically relying on an abused person to save herself.  The most drastic way that she could have helped was to report the abuse to the police, or since she had money, made arrangements to take JEH and DaRa safely and hide them somewhere, have her son committed...etc but of course she wouldn't do that, because she refused to believe that her son could be so evil or she's concerned about their reputation. 

Her way of helping was to basically make JEH's life miserable as well so she will run away which she finally did.

Also, even when JEH tried to commit suicide and they labelled her as suffering from depression, she didn't think the reason was because her son was beating her? 

As for who is more evil between Jung and CK? Both of them are equally evil, they deserve each other.

3 hours ago, zenya22 said:

Going back to the first episodes and connecting them to these last episodes, tells a history of the beginnings and continuation of the obsessive/abusive personality of KCK as told by @bebebisous33 comparing the character to Bluebeard. KCK was attracted to JEH for the qualities he described "innocence, kindness yet spirited" but the attraction turned quickly into control, the "cardinal" sign of obsession. In the first episodes we see KCK kissing JEH passionately infront of their co workers at the station. One co-worker joked that the anchor was giving a warning to all that JEH was his woman and no one else. Little did he know how prophetic his words would become. Then KCK puts JEH in a no way out, obligatory and controlled situation when he pays for her brother's hospital bills, buys her family a house and a business to run. He rushed the marriage by registering it and no celebration, not letting his family, friends or acquaintances know and brought EH to the states. all signs of wanting absolute control. Back in SK, no news about her, no attendance of public affairs, no pictures of any kind and she is escorted everywhere by bodyguards, drivers or by the butler. Raging jealousy of anyone whom she associates with and the result of the jealousy will be her punishment or EH failure not to meet his expectations or his perception that he can't control will end up in abuse. 

I agree. When he realizes that he had been played by Jung he will blame Jung as the cause of his abuse and yes, I could see him beating up Jung for "making him abusive" .... 

@zenya22admire onion headAwesome analysis about KCK's obsession for JEH. good job onion headI really enjoyed reading it. crazy monkeyBut your description of the evolution of their relationship made me realize how little by little KCK took over her life and started suffocating her. I guess, at first she didn't notice, how she was losing control over her life: the rushed marriage, the disappearance for two years, the lack of communication with her relatives. I am sure that KCK always had an excuse hence she didn't say anything. "His mother was against the marriage", "they were living in the States hence she couldn't visit or even call her relatives (too expensive, the time gap aso)". I don't think that the physical abuse started right away. I guess, at some point she might have argued with him or even complained about her situation hence he used violence to make her submissive. This also explains why she became a housewife and stopped writing. If she had worked, then she would had escaped his control.

I have to admit that although I had already connected the story of Bluebeard to this drama, even before it was mentioned, I didn't expect the writer would use the fairy tale in order to describe "spousal abuse". I had rather imagined that KCK had killed a woman before... It was even more simple. Nevertheless, I really like how the writer saw in  "Bluebeard" an allegory of domestic violence which is true. I had just associated Bluebeard with "misogynistic society" where the woman has to obey the husband.  

Then I would like to outline the contrast between the beginning of the episode 17 and the ending of the episode 18. We see how different KCK and HKW are.

Spoiler

LMIH 17 1.png

KCK's room is in the basement, where there is no sun, no plants and only artificial lights. LMIH 17 2.pngNotice that in the first picture, he is talking to his wife without even looking into her eyes. He is actually putting his "red glove" in order to punch her. In all the pictures I am posting, you can observe that JEH is always in the background. LMIH 17 3.pngHe is filmed in a way that underlines his superiority based on his strength and physical body. When the camera shows JEH's face, she is trembling and even crying.. she is paralyzed and can not even say anything. KCK makes her speechless. Finally in the last picture, you see how KCK threw her onto the couch... she is lying there defenseless. 

Spoiler

LMIH 17 4.png

If you pay attention to the colours in this scene, there are only cold colors: blue, black and brown. Even the artificial lights are not able to give some warmth. KCK is using the room in the basement in order to make his wife submissive. He doesn't allow her to express herself... He wants her all to himself. Like he said once, he needs to break her wings so that she will remain by his side. JEH is perceived as a bird caught in a cage. Striking is that KCK uses Herlioz symphonie in order to control his wife... the music has an effect on her. She gets emotional... KCK doesn't seem to enjoy the music as such. It is just his way to make sure that his wife is affected: fear and paralysis.

Now, at the end of the episode 18, doctor Han and JEH are on the rooftop, in the patio where they can enjoy the view of Seoul. LMIH 18 1.pngThis place is important to our OTP. They spent a lot of time there, remembering happy times. Here, JEH is able to see the nature (plants, river, sun) and this is an open space. This scene contrasts so much to KCK's room. Our doctor Han wants her to feel free and see the world. He wants her to be happy. Notice that HKW is looking at her, unlike KCK in the first picture. He lets her do anything. She is his gravity. Then she makes a wish: LMIH 18 2.png Notice the second contrast here. HKW is asked to sing himself. Not only the music is more natural and simple than "the symphonie fantastique". The song serves another purpose: evoke positive emotions. We see how the camera zooms on JEH's face and we see her smiling. To conclude, both musics had a similar purpose: evoke emotions. Yet, in KCK's case the symphonie was supposed ignite fear and paralysis and as for the Chinese song, love and happiness were the intended emotions.

And if we look at the finale picture, 

Spoiler

LMIH 18 3.png

there is also a seat. While the couch in KCK's room seems to be more comfortable, it was used for spousal abuse. JEH was lying on the couch which underlined her inferiority. With HKW, JEH is sitting next to him. They are both equal. The bench which is usually less comfortable than a couch illustrates how comfortable JEH feels in that moment. Despite the huge amount of luxury, JEH never felt happy and comfortable in KCK's room. Here in the patio, she is surrounded by simple and cheap objects, yet she is able to enjoy the beauty of it. Our beloved doctor treats her with respect as he is always following her lead. He lets her speak, as soon as she wishes something, doctor Han does what she wants. In return, she smiles at him and makes him feel loved. 

As conclusion, this last scene symbolizes JEH's freedom. Han has set her free but because of his gentleness and enduring support, she loves him back. KCK was surprised to see JEH's smile. Because in reality it is what he has always wanted to get: be loved!  

@USAFarmgirl @celebrianna @Lmangla

By the way, if anyone has a link on the score (music) that they use at the end of each episode and also found at the start of episode 3 (when Dr Han was operating on JEH), please post it here.  

I actually really like the music they have at the end of each episode when they are giving us these cliffhanger scenes, and the score helps in pumping up the excitement

@bebebisous33, great analysis. I also like that in the ending scene JEH was

looking down on him.

2 hours ago, Lmangla said:

but just as a curiousity question: if suppose you knew (a very close family member) like chang ki was being abusive, so how does one deal with that kind of situation?

I would definitely call the police if I saw one of my male family members physically abusing any of their wives. Once upon a time every Friday evening I used to watch Dateline NBC and almost every case they covered was about a husband who either get away with killing his wife or was eventually jailed for it. They were true cases. They interviewed detectives who worked the case, family members (on both sides with different statements), coworkers, etc. A few times they had it where the wife killed the husband premedatively but it was very rare. After a while I stopped watching. It was just too much to know these people murdered or suspected of murdering their spouses.

This is probably the the reason why I loathe KCK more than Jung. Oh, I loathe her too but I just have a special hatred for men who abuse their wives. I don’t care whether Jung manipulated him or not. His choice to believe her was his own. His choice to beat his wife was his own. His choice to blame his wife for his child’s aphasia was his own. All his choices were his own.

@celebrianna Yes, KCK is not just a victim of Jung, he is indeed a perpetrator. He chose to hurt her and even to send her to the mental institute. Jung would have never called the ambulance without his consent. To me, president Min, JEH's mother and the house personal are all accomplices, except SH. The latter never heart about the beating but his mother knew.

- President Min resented JEH and her family and didn't want to tarnish her family's reputation

- The mother closed her eyes because of SH's injuries and tried to diminish KCK's crimes. Now, she says that she never expected him to treat her daughter like that. Then what did she imagine back then when her daughter complained?  

- Even doctor Jang is not entirely clean. He was the one who gave the prescription... he knew about the abuse. At some point, he got so disgusted.

We have to imagine that her torment lasted for at least 5 years!! And this is a long time... The indifference, the fear of ruining the image of a respectable family, the cowardice, the greed, the resent are the reasons why it is difficult for a victim to escape from that trap.

I love how doctor Han is so determined and fearless. He is very different from his father who blamed his wife for their misery. Han has actually never blamed JEH for making his life difficult and putting his life in danger.

Archived