[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Royal Nirvana 鹤唳华亭

sugarplum892

7 minutes ago, bluehibiscus said:

@PPB I think Luo Jin’s next drama about helping villagers out of poverty (considered to be serious drama) will probably get him more recognition and awards. 

Thanks @bluehibiscus, yes, I hope so. I have no idea whether he's considered a great, serious actor in China or not, but I think he's certainly of international standard level.

Of course there are probably many more like him that I don't know about I'm sure, and some I do know, such as Wang Kai (Serenade of peaceful joy) and Chen Kun (Rise of the Phoenixes - watching that atm, and though the story is a bit.... Not quite there... the script is sometimes rather crazy and not very good, but he's a really good actor).

BTW, do you know anything about this drama? Is it out in China already? I've seen the trailer for it, and it did look good. If not out yet, do you know when it might be? 

Many thanks as always

Ep 5 Transcript (By Bluehibiscus. Please do not repost without my permission)

Day. Inside Yan An Palace.

Two eunuchs are picking up items scattered on the floor.

Chen Jin: This morning His Majesty was in a fit of anger and started coughing phlegm non-stop. The Imperial Physician is taking his pulse. Your Highness don’t go in. Take a look at this military report first.

(The army stationed at Changzhou and Ming An’s subordinates had a standoff at the East Gate over the unequal distribution of rice, with a hundred people on each side. Deputy General Zhang Feng was executed on the spot by He Yang Hou for the crime of oversight.—Military report from the Ministry of Defence)

Chen Jin: With Wu De Hou out fighting the battle, the city has become so disorderly. He Yang Hou didn’t report. Lord Li is also hiding the incident. Did they really believe they could keep it from His Majesty? Foolish.

Day. Inside CP’s study, Dong Fu.

Xu: With the frontline situation critical and Changzhou in disorder, the edict to send reinforcements is imminent. Does Your Highness have a countermeasure?

CP: I understand Feng En’s character very well. If Uncle had given strong instructions before his departure not to cede Changzhou to others (Li Ming An), he is capable of defying the edict. 

Xu: As the saying goes, a general out in battle is not obliged to follow the sovereign’s orders (means: can exercise his own discretion). If He Yang Hou really resists the decree, His Majesty will surely shift his anger to Your Highness.

CP: Although this war is of benefit to the country, it broke the equilibrium of these three years. If Uncle is in Changzhou, His Majesty may be able to use me to restrain him or use him to hold me in check. However Uncle has now left Changzhou and the one to take over his position is Gu Feng En. Ultimately, I’m the one who has dragged them into this.

Xu: Your Highness is worried His Majesty will want to send He Yang Hou out of the pass?

CP: This is a major military affair, how can I let my personal feelings get in the way? But...

Xu: When this campaign ends in victory, His Majesty will surely move to remove General.

CP: Don’t worry. I won’t be a sitting duck. As long as there is no acrimonious falling out, if I can solve the difficult matter in an effortless way and put an end to it...that will be for the best.

Xu: Put an end to it? How does Your Highness propose to do it?

CP: It’s nothing more than once again playing the role of a villain and disobedient son before His Majesty.

Servant: A summon from His Majesty. Your Highness is requested to proceed to Yan An Palace immediately.

Day. Yan An Palace.

CP is deftly whisking a bowl of tea.

Emperor (to Sixth Prince): What your Third Brother is holding is the tea whisk. The opened tea is Long Yuan Sheng Xue.

Emperor: Exert more strength. (After a pause) Have you read the military report?

CP: I have.

Emperor: My intention is to have Feng En lead his army to provide reinforcement. What do you think of it?

CP: I think in terms of actual combat experience, Feng En is not as good as Li Cishi.

Emperor: Li Cishi is a civil official turned general. He may be fine handling finance, grain and official documents but if he really takes a knife and enters the battle, he will make a mess of things. Letting him (Feng En) go over has another layer of meaning. Father and son soldiers when going to war (means: one can only rely on one’s closest kin in critical times). 

CP: This is a major military matter. Your Majesty may decide.

CP puts Sixth Prince on his lap.

Emperor: Your relationship with Feng En is incomparable. My wish is for you to write a family letter to him to be sent along with the edict, asking him to be prudent and to take care. Take the one from me as supervision on an official basis and the one from you as placation and empathy on a personal basis to let him know that the entire court is cohesive at heart.

CP: I think it is unwise.

Emperor: In what way?

CP: Feng En is a border general while I am Crown Prince. Writing a letter to interfere with military affairs is no different from a mountain of crime (a serious crime).

Emperor: This is my wish. How would it amount to that?

CP stops whisking the tea and sets down the bowl. He moves Sixth Prince off his lap, goes down on his knees and salutes the Emperor.

CP: Your Majesty’s order, I don’t dare to disobey but I have something more to report and request for Your Majesty’s perception.

Emperor: Speak.

CP: From my proposal to increase taxes to my supervision of the grain and fodder under Your Majesty’s order, there have been constant impeachment and criticism from the court officials. If today I follow this edict, I would not just be poking my fingers in state affairs but military affairs. If the court finds out in future and I become the target of a thousand censuring fingers, will Your Majesty ensure my safety?

Emperor: It’s not [as serious] as that.

CP: Involvement in state affairs and communicating with border general in private are all grounds for deposing the Crown Prince. How can Your Majesty make light of them?

Emperor: Even if you meddle with military affairs, it is my army you are meddling with. At most, you get a beating by bamboo cane. It’s not as if you have never been beaten before.

CP: I am a mere mortal. Too many beatings will leave scars. Too heavy—I know—although it is my body that is being beaten, it is Your Majesty’s heart that is hurting.

Day. Inside Dong Fu.

Crown Princess: These few years whenever I asked about Meimei (means younger sister)’s situation, His Highness warned me not to be meddlesome so I wasn’t able to help you. I feel very guilty about it.

Wenxi: Concubine thanks Her Highness for thinking of me.

She bows.

Crown Princess: Don’t be like this. Take a seat. We are sisters in the same household, there’s no need to be so formal.

Crown Princess: When Meimei was in Dong Fu, you were aiready by His Highness’ side. You know His Highness’ temperament best. Now, whenever His Majesty and Her Majesty ask about the progeny of Dong Gong, I feel very ashamed but I dare not state the truth.

Wenxi: His Highness...

Crown Princess: We’ve all been drinking bizitang (soup to avoid conception).

Wenxi: Why does His Highness do this?

Crown Princess: In my case, in His Highness’ heart, I’ll always be Her Majesty’s people. But the other sisters, all from clean family background, also hardly get to see His Highness more than a couple times a year. 

Crown Princess: Hence, Meimei (Wenxi) is not the only one to have experienced the loneliness of the deep palace these years. Sometimes I think, the reason His Highness is so resolutely aloof is because he hasn’t met the one he really likes. Actually I can tell His Highness values you.  Now that Meimei is well, if possible, please help His Highness to have children. I will look upon them like my own children and love them like treasures.

Day. Yan An Palace.

CP serves tea to His Majesty and Sixth Prince.

Sixth Prince: Thank you, Your Highness.

CP: Father is the one giving the treat. You should thank His Majesty.

Sixth Prince: I thank Your Majesty for bestowing the tea.

Emperor: You’ve taught Ah Liang well. I’ve seen his poems. The basic foundation has been laid.

CP: If Your Majesty can personally teach him how to make tea, Sixth Brother will definitely be even happier.

Emperor (to Sixth Prince): Do you wish to learn? Your 3rd Brother has spoken. I will teach you then. I think, call over Lao Wu too, I teach you both together.

CP: Speaking of Fifth Brother, there happens to be a good thing I would like to propose to Your Majesty.

Emperor: Alright, speak.

CP: Crown Princess mentioned the other day that Minister of Revenue Huang Ci’s third daughter—

Emperor cuts in: You wish to confer a side concubine?

There was a long pregnant pause before CP continues: It’s not me. The Empress Her Majesty ordered Crown Princess to keep an eye out for Fifth Brother. I was thinking this lady, be it family background or talent, is very compatible with Fifth Brother so I hope Your Majesty will pass an edict to arrange a marriage between them.

CP: After the wedding—Fifth Brother can leave for his fiefdom.

The two lock eyes for what seems like an eternity. Chen Jin discreetly removes the pot of water from the firepot to remove a piece of charcoal, breaking the tense silence.

Emperor: Very well, I will pass an edict for the Ministry of Rites to take care of it.

CP: The genealogy paper has already been prepared by the Ministry of Rites on my instructions.

Emperor: You picked the Vice Minister of Rites to be your Zheng Zhan just for this day. Umm, has Ah Liang made your selection? If you have, we can get it done together (laughs).

CP: Your Majesty is joking. I thank Your Majesty on Fifth Brother’s behalf. I will obey your edict.

Night. Wenxi’s courtyard.

Chang An looks around surreptitiously before pushing open the doors to Wenxi’s courtyard. He is immediately seized and restrained by two guards lying in wait.

Youming sees his face and says: It’s you.

Night. Dong Fu.

As Wang and Youming look on, CP reads the letter found on Chang An with shock.

Your brother Wenjin. Sister, seeing my words is like meeting me. There was no reply to my previous letter. I guess being trapped in the deep palace, there are many inconveniences in terms of speech, conduct and writing.

CP sets the letter on the table beside the gold crane hairpin. His hands trembling slightly with rage, he gets up.

CP: Three years ago, the one we sent to Changzhou...

Wang: Yes, it was Chang An.

CP: I want to kill him by a thousand cuts!

CP beats Chang An and then pulls out a sword.

Chang An: Your Highness will not kill me, right?

CP puts his sword next to Chang An’s neck: Tell me, why wouldn’t I?

Chang An: Because—

CP shouts: Speak!

Chang An: Because Your Highness doesn’t yet know what Wu Dawang is plotting by using Gu Cai Ren.

CP: This is no longer important. What’s important is she’s my person. Kill him.

Chang An: Your Highness! There’s more! Lu gongzi hasn’t been found. He’s still in the hands of Wu Dawang.

CP turns around.

Chang An: If you spare my life, I can help Your Highness find Lu gongzi. My family is also being held by Wu Dawang within the capital. I had no choice, Your Highness! Your Highness...

He tries to get closer to CP but Youming stops him with a sword.

Chang An: Your Highness...Your Highness

CP gestures for Youming to keep his sword.

Chang An: Your Highness...

—-

Day. Wenxi’s courtyard.

The doors swing open and CP enters with Wang following close behind. 

When he sees an unfamiliar neiren coming out of Wenxi’s room, he rushes up and grabs her hand. The startled neiren drops the basin of water in her hands and the basin clatters to the ground.

Neiren salutes: Your Highness.

CP: Who are you?

(Cut) Wenxi hears the commotion outside and stands.

Wang: She’s new here. Shen neiren is afflicted with an infectious disease so she cannot attend to Gu Cai Ren. (To the other eunuchs) Take her away.

CP slowly pushes open the door to Wenxi’s room. Wenxi stands.

He slowly walks towards Wenxi without taking his eyes off her. His heart feels full of emotions as he notes her entrancing features.

Wenxi bows: My respects to Your Highness.

(Flashback)

Outside the jail with snow falling.

(Reality)

CP caresses her cheek.

CP (Off-screen): Is your makeup messed again?

(Flashback)

Wenxi rushes hurriedly behind the screen and quotes from Li You’s Ping Feng Ming (a poem, Ping Feng Ming likens the features and functions of Ping Feng/screen to the embodiment of Confucianist values): When standing, it is upright (implies she is an upright person). When flattened, it is simple, clean and straight (when down, she will not follow the bad conduct of others). My hair is messy and I’m attired shabbily so I don’t dare to show my face to the sovereign.

(Reality)

CP: You’re still the same. Without any make-up, you look even more beautiful.

(Flashback)

Wenxi and CP with their hands aligned on the screen standing between them

(Reality)

CP makes Wenxi sit before the dressing table.

CP: Close your eyes.

After Wenxi closes her eyes, he slides the gold crane hairpin into the crown of her hair. Then tipping her face up, he views her face through the translucent material of his sleeve.

It merges into her face concealed by a veiled hat on that snowy night in the Ministry of Justice.

(Flashback)

CP returning the painting to Wenxi.

Wenxi running away, heartbroken.

Wenxi throwing the painting off the bridge.

Wenxi sobbing.

Wenxi (Off-screen): Being together and supporting each other through difficult times may be remarkable, but being apart and thriving in more conducive environments in the world is a greater blessing. 

CP (Off-screen): What’s so great with being apart and thriving in more conducive environments in the world? Why not be apart and thrive in the palace (means: You don’t have to leave the Palace. I will forget my feelings for you) ?

(Flashback) CP jumping into the water to save Wenxi.

(Flashback) 

CP holding Wenxi’s hand.

CP (Off-screen): She—is my person.

(Flashback) 

Wenxi casting a backward glance while folding her sleeves.

Wenxi’s face concealed by the veil.

(Reality)

CP lowers his sleeve, his eyes brimming with unshed tears. Picking up a brush, he tenderly paints Wenxi’s brows. Looking at her beloved countenance, a tear spills from his eye and splashes on her cheek, startling her.

CP: Don’t move. You cried.

He rubs away the wetness on her cheek. Wenxi opens her eyes.

Wenxi: Concubine did not cry. In front of Your Highness, Concubine has cried more than enough.  I won’t ever again.

CP: Why?

Wenxi: Because my mother once told me, a female shouldn’t give in to tears easily in front of others. She said if that person cared, he wouldn’t let you cry. If he didn’t care, what was the use of crying? You only lost your dignity for nothing.

CP wipes away his tears and walks to one side.

In the mirror, Wenxi notices the crane hairpin adorning her hair. In disbelief and shock, she lifts a hand and pulls it out.

(Flashback)

Chang An: I need to get a token for Wu Dawang. In future, when you see this item, you will know he is sent by Wu Dawang.

Tears begin to escape as she fingers the crane hairpin. 

CP: That hairpin, don’t lose it again.

Wenxi: Alright, I won’t. 

Under CP’s shocked eyes, she stabs herself with the hairpin.

CP: Don’t!

He wrenches the hairpin from her hands.

CP: Wenxi! Wenxi!

Day. Yan An Palace.

Emperor: Why isn’t Crown Prince here yet for the morning filial visit? 

Chen Jin: I heard something happened at Dong Fu this morning. I fear His Highness won’t be able to make it. A side concubine attempted suicide. Dong Fu sent for the Imperial Physician early this morning. Thankfully she is fine now.

Emperor: His own backyard is on fire and he has to meddle with other’s backyard. This is my good son.

Dong Fu.

CP slams the table.

CP: Go. Seal Zhao Wang Fu. I will personally go and demand for Ah Jin. See if he dares to refuse.

Xu: Hold it. It’s been some days since Your Highness has proposed marriage for Zhao Wang. The situation in Changzhou is unclear and His Majesty is undecided as to what to do. If you send Dong Gong guards to surround Zhao Wang Fu at this time, it is not a wise move. Your Highness, please think thrice.

CP: Then in your opinion?

Xu: Your Highness can contact the imperial guards first to send men to look for Lu gongzi in secret.

CP: Get it done right away.

Xu: I receive your order.

Night. Wenxi’s courtyard.

CP: Chang An is under close guard and I’ve sent men to search all over the capital. Don’t worry, I’ll surely hand Wenjin safely over to you. I read Ah Jin’s letter. Do you still blame me for the deaths of your father and brother?

Wenxi: Actually...the one I blame has always been me. Your Highness has always wanted to know how your “Min Cheng” seal came to be in my hands. It was indeed entrusted to me personally by Teacher.

(Start of flashback)

Lu Shiyu: I trouble you to return this lost item to its owner.

Wenxi: This is a trivial matter. I will surely get it done.

Lu Shiyu: It is not a trivial matter. You must personally hand it to the owner. I fear the owner, having lost this item, will regret for the rest of his life.

(End of flashback)

Wenxi: Only he didn’t explain whom the seal belonged to. It’s funny when you think of it. He was the one who told me about your zi.

(Start of flashback)

Wu Dawang: Whom you’re asking about, I don’t know but I do know of someone with the zi (courtesy name) of Min Cheng.

Wenxi: Who is it?

Wenxi: I request Your Highness to keep it—and look at it later when you go back.

Wang: Your Highness, let’s not want this item. 

Wang throws the satchet to Wenxi: Who wants your stuff?

(End of flashback)

Wenxi: Whenever I think of the moment the palace door closed, all my insides will collapse and I will be in so much pain that I want to die. The difference of a thought, the distance of a step, caused the death of Teacher, Father and Elder Brother. And the root cause of all these matters is greed. Because of Concubine’s greedy desire for Your Highness.

CP: Don’t think like that. It’s not your fault.

Wenxi: All the separation and sorrows that follow are the consequences of my sin. Men who are addicted to passions are like torch bearers^. For others, walking against the wind may only cause their hands to be burnt but for Concubine, it is heart-piercing, bone-consuming pain.

^ Origin: The Sutra in Forty-two Chapters (25) The Buddha said: "Men who are addicted to the passions are like torch-carriers running against the wind; his hands are sure to be burned." Means: Foolish people who refuse to set down their love/desires run the risk of burning their hands.

CP: Heart-piercing, bone-consuming pain, don’t I also have? All these years, the people most important to me have left me and I nearly lost you. Looking at you is like seeing another me.

Wenxi: Really? Just like Concubine, even knowing full well it cannot be mine, my heart refuses to accept it. Even though it is right before my eyes, it’s like I can never get through the barrier.

CP: Alright. I’ve said, it’s all in the past. As Teacher wished, we’re together. Oh right, think about it, when did you— was it that time in Teacher’s home, in the garden? Is my guess correct?

Wenxi: Maybe it was earlier.

(Start of flashback)

CP takes her hand: She—is my person.

(End of flashback)

Wenxi: It was probably then that I started liking you. Later when I saw Your Highness getting married and thought Your Highness would find happiness with someone else, I felt angry and jealous. I also wanted to be like Your Highness and say loudly: “He’s my—Highness.”

CP: I’m yours. In this lifetime and every lifetime, I’m yours.

Outside the room, Wang waves off the eunuch serving bizitang: Leave.

Day. Zhao Wang Fu.

Items are strewn all over the floor.

Chang He: The Ministry of Rites has approved the auspicious date of Ninth Month, Twelfth Day. After that, it will be Cai Na, Wen Ming, Gao Ji, Gao Cheng, Gao Qi (explanation: the formalities of a wedding). These need to be completed within twenty days. Such hastiness in completion is obviously forcing my Wangye to leave the capital.

Subtitles: Jiang Shi, General Palace Service Shang Gong

Jiang: Actually, as early as half a month ago, Crown Princess had already passed the genealogy paper to His Majesty but His Majesty had been keeping silent. Now that I think about it, His Majesty must be waiting for He Yang Hou to leave the pass before making the decision.

Wu Dawang: No wonder Feng En received Crown Prince’s letter and left the pass without a word. Looks like our plans had already caught their notice long ago. They were only waiting to find my weak spot to hit the target in one strike.

Jiang: Crown Prince has always liked to take his opponents by surprise. Guang Chuan Jun was a precedent.

Wu Dawang: In terms of mercilessness, my Crown Prince brother does not lose to His Majesty in the slightest.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

On 11/9/2020 at 5:17 AM, bluehibiscus said:

Royal Nirvana has won 4 awards at the 2020 Chinese American TV Festival 

Golden Angel Award TV Series (10 winners)

Best Screenwriter (1 winner)

Best Director (1 winner)

Best Actress In A Supporting Role (1 winner)

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4569355957047706

Winners’ List

Glad they won some awards! Surprised the Emperor didn’t get any. 

• Like 2

oh wow, one year... time flies during an epidemic lol!! I started watching late, I think it was February, as I just got Netflix not long before, and watched Princess Weiyoung. I was fed up with western programmes and was looking for something different. Plus I'm studying Chinese, so was/is very interested. After P. Weiyoung I looked for other dramas with the same actors, as they were really good, though the story was not perfect. RN was the second Chinese drama I ever watched...I feel like I hit the jackpot, such beautiful, high quality drama. However, that has its less positive side, as nothing I've watched since has been as good as this. Which leads me to the questions for the director:

(super thanks to @bluehibiscusif you manage to do this) 

1. Does he plan to do another historical drama of this type? If not what is his next project? 

2. (this is meant to be a serious question) As this is obviously a tragedy, does he feel that a happy ending would have spoiled the feel and mood of the drama? 

If one can add comments too, please let him know how much we have appreciated his work outside of China. The acting and the story were superb, but also the cinematography. Those shots from above, beautiful and enigmatic, the camera very slowly panning across a scene, or slowly zooming in (many could learn from that!). The music, everything was high quality and I really look forward to seeing some more of his work. My favourite shot is CP falling face down into the pool, fully dressed in his red robe, out of grief for the death of his teacher, visually magnificent and so poignant! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bluehibiscus said:

@PPB I have translated and posted your comments and questions. There are now 321 comments. I hope he sees yours.

Thank you, thank you, thank you @bluehibiscus! So exciting!

If he doesn't, that's fine too, I only hope that he feels his artistic efforts are appreciated! 

Forgot to ask, @bluehibiscus, did you ask any questions? 

• Like 2

The start of this fan video is very funny. It is about CP and Wenxi's life after marriage (Wenxi is Crown Princess). At the start, CP is scolding his son and the reactions of those who heard his scolding voice are really cute, especially:

Xu quotes: I went to him to confide and seek comfort/consolation but encountered his angry mood.

Emperor: What is CP trying to do?

Teacher: Fu Ren, you don't have to panic, CP's teaching of children has already reached the grandoise level of the arts.

Later, when Wenxi suggests going to see the water lanterns, CP's response: My father's pond is big. We can light the pond with lanterns and eat su lao (a kind of milk dessert).

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1DZ4y1V7eX

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Thanks for sharing these, when you go to the site, there are so many snippets! Just as well I can't understand them or I'd spend they whole day watching them....!

And Wenxi as Crown Princess... that's how it should be, lol! 

• Like 1

@PPB That site is China’s equivalent of Youtube and many of the uploaders are very talented at cutting and joining different footage to tell their own stories. There is even a version based on the novel with a totally different cast using footage from different dramas. The uploader just removed the sound and added his/her own subtitles. At first, this type of editing may seem strange but there is a certain ingenuity to it.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

Thankyou so much @bluehibiscus , on behalf of all of us who are silently reading and appreciating your amazing work,  to help us understand Royal Nirvana way beyond what was possible with the official release alone. I have been following this forum for months and finally created an account just so I could thank you @bluehibiscus for all the time and effort you have put into this. Thank you to all those who participated in the many discussions and asked the very questions that were in my mind as well.

Thanks a lot to @PPB, I believe, I found this forum from mydramalist

• Like 2
  • Love 1

so glad you're here, welcome @CDVK! Yes, we're very lucky to have @bluehibiscuswith us, it's definitely a different, deeper, and more beautiful experience watching RN with all the translations, the information about poems etc provided. I am really grateful that we've been able to dig deeper into the beauty of Chinese culture, as well as drama in general, it's been a real treat.  :star:

• Like 1