[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Royal Nirvana 鹤唳华亭

sugarplum892

5 hours ago, aafa83 said:

Ep. 23

Hide contents

I'm surprised the wedding wasn't attended by the Emperor or officiated by a high ranking person!

I also wonder. Perhaps they just didnt show the palace ceremony and move on to the prince's place outside the palace. 

I enjoy the pace of this drama so much. Both the otp move on with life, facing the consequences with their own agenda. Esp the cp, his instinct is so quick and yes he has to be ahead to save lives. Bravo!

• Like 3

On 12/5/2019 at 10:00 PM, bluehibiscus said:

@jadecloud, Ep 20-23 have a good mixture of different elements so they are not too sad.

Good to know. Thank you for the heads up. I have a long way to get there though. Anyhow, I'm ready for more sadness and tears from this CP and OTP. The cinematic quality and the beauty of the Song culture as showcased are the two factors, among many others, that make this a must-watch. :heart: 

• Like 1

My first time in this thread.

I have watched till ep 23.  Look forward to new eps tomorrow. This is a great production with an equally stellar casts.  Watching this drama, is like reading a Classic Chinese Literature - where we have to labour at every word and sentence. Yes.  We cannot multi-task. We have to concentrate.  I have to re-watch a second time in order to really understand what happens.

Regarding the scholars' protest, some scenes were deleted. To help us better understand that scene, please allow me to insert an explanation I found in another discussion site.  Here goes:

Deleted scenes and background info:
Prime Minister Li Baizhou schemed to postpone the Palace Exam (the final exam which take place after the Spring Exams in early episodes).

The Assembly of the Officials lead by Lu Ying was unaware that the exam has been postponed and their arrival for petition to Emperor coincide with the Palace Exam being held.

The officials (scholars) are accused of intefering with Palace Exam and provoked by the other faction presented. A scuffle broke out on Palace grounds.
Some of the scholars protested by leaving their seats and quitting the exam.

Because Lu Wen Pu (female lead's brother) was the first to quit, he was arrested by Prince of Qi even though he is not an offical (this deleted scene is mentioned in later episodes)

Count Gu Feng En was presented at the Palace Exam. Because a scholar has to abstain from physical violence he disrobed his scholar robes and roughly handled an official from the opposing faction. He also grabbed a sword. (deleted scenes).
Because of his actions he was stripped of his exam results and is barred from sitting Imperial exams for life.

Lu Shi Yu took his own life because someone has to be hold accountable for the Palace Exam fiasco and hence his final speech to the Emperor referenced 'the scholars are under Your protection' and tearing up the petition name list.

But Lu Shi Yu's death also force the Emperor to have the Capping Ceremony, thus solidifying the Crown Prince's position in the palace.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to also insert a Meaningful Scene between the CP and his teacher. When his teacher found out the CP's role in the Examination Cheating Incidence, which allows the Chancellor Li Bai Zhou to turn the tables on the CP.  Here goes:

“If you listen to my advice, your road ahead will be very difficult. If you don’t, only death awaits you. The day you can strike a balance between the two is the day when you are ready to rule.”

xiao-dingquan1.gif?resize=328%2C208&ssl=

“Life will only get harder for me in the future.”

Happy Watching!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 12/8/2019 at 4:39 PM, hush puppy said:

But Lu Shi Yu's death also force the Emperor to have the Capping Ceremony, thus solidifying the Crown Prince's position in the palace.

The coming-of-age ceremony was held way before Teacher Lu’s death. In Ep10, the official in charge of the Imperial coffers mentioned the expenditure from holding the ceremony twice. The CP also had a stamp made for his courtesy name “Min Cheng” (which he could only use after the ceremony) to stamp with his calligraphy.

Edited to add:

It appears you may have confused what happened in the drama with what happened in the novel. In the novel, Teacher Lu led a group of officials to pressure the Emperor into holding the coming-of-age ceremony for the CP and subsequently committed suicide at home . He never got to witness the ceremony. Thus far the drama has departed from the novel in many significant ways e.g. in the novel, DQ did not know or meet Wenxi before she became an undercover spy in his residence; Wenxi’s family was destroyed because Zhang Lu Zheng (CP’s ally) made it seem they were relations of Li Bai Zhou’s wife (the Li family had been defeated by Zhang and given the sentence of nine kinship extermination); Wenxi washed clothes in the palace for a period of time before she was sent to serve in the CP’s residence, etc, so I think we need to view the drama as a separate story.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, aafa83 said:

@ bluehibiscus, thanks for the explanation of that stamp. Why did Teacher Lu want Wenxi to return the stamp to the CP? Was it so that they can meet face to face finally?

Yes, Teacher Lu wanted to make one last effort to bring them together as he was leaving. His instruction to Wenxi had double meaning — he told her it was extremely important for her to return it to the owner personally as he was afraid the owner would regret it for the rest of his life if he lost that valuable thing, implying Wenxi but Wenxi thought he meant the stamp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

When I saw that Wenxi was made to marry Prince Qi, that breaks my heart for our OTP!!! Love is so close, but so far away for our OTP. Everything they do is like a dagger towards something, or someone that they love. Dislike the emperor for counterattacked DQ's every moves; even though I know why he do that. Still, it just breaks my heart!!! Also, DQ has got to be one of the most emotional CP that I watched in Chinese drama; he's so caring and sensitive----so kind and righteous. Such a good fellow.!`~

Question, why do they have to detached the palace???

Can anyone explain to me in full detail the logic of the first plot regarding the capping ceremony and the maids from episode 1-4?

My analysis:

Spoiler

Prince Qi makes a plan to disrupt Luo Jin's ceremony with the first scroll. Luo Jin's maid hears about this so he prepares a second scroll for a swap. Prince Qi knows she knows so he prepares a third scroll to throw down when they kill Luo Jin's maid.

The third scroll is used in the intended manner. Since we don't know if the first and second scroll were swapped Qi's maid runs away with either the first or second scroll and either does or does not burn it. Luo Jin is intent on finding the scroll but using his knowledge of the past comes across as a blank fourth scroll; this is a misleading clue as I think his maid just put it there to show him she still remembers their past and she had no choice.

Qi shows he is worried about the contents of the scroll at the steps and later on which shows he doesn't know if it's the first or the second scroll (not knowing it's the fourth scroll).

Fast forward quite a bit later when it's all said and done and the emperor finds a scroll which must be the second scroll because it supports Luo Jin. This must mean Luo Jin's maid hid it away really well and that Qi's maid did indeed burn the first scroll. This also must mean Luo Jin's maid never swapped the first and second scroll.

Big takeaway: all that drama for nothing! Nobody is implicated solidly because the dead maid takes all the blame.

Am I missing something? One thing I don't fully understand is why didn't Luo Jin's maid execute the plan? If I have this correct she could have just swapped the second scroll with the third and had her throw that one down? I'm pretty sure I'm missing something.

• Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Lamphead said:

Can anyone explain to me in full detail the logic of the first plot regarding the capping ceremony and the maids from episode 1-4?

My analysis:

Reveal hidden contents

Prince Qi makes a plan to disrupt Luo Jin's ceremony with the first scroll. Luo Jin's maid hears about this so he prepares a second scroll for a swap. Prince Qi knows she knows so he prepares a third scroll to throw down when they kill Luo Jin's maid.

The third scroll is used in the intended manner. Since we don't know if the first and second scroll were swapped Qi's maid runs away with either the first or second scroll and either does or does not burn it. Luo Jin is intent on finding the scroll but using his knowledge of the past comes across as a blank fourth scroll; this is a misleading clue as I think his maid just put it there to show him she still remembers their past and she had no choice.

Qi shows he is worried about the contents of the scroll at the steps and later on which shows he doesn't know if it's the first or the second scroll (not knowing it's the fourth scroll).

Fast forward quite a bit later when it's all said and done and the emperor finds a scroll which must be the second scroll because it supports Luo Jin. This must mean Luo Jin's maid hid it away really well and that Qi's maid did indeed burn the first scroll. This also must mean Luo Jin's maid never swapped the first and second scroll.

Big takeaway: all that drama for nothing! Nobody is implicated solidly because the dead maid takes all the blame.

Am I missing something? One thing I don't fully understand is why didn't Luo Jin's maid execute the plan? If I have this correct she could have just swapped the second scroll with the third and had her throw that one down? I'm pretty sure I'm missing something.

Wow, you are way smarter than me to have figured all that out! Honestly, I'm STILL confused by every scheme that's been shown, especially the exam cheats. Like, what was the importance of that room with the bad roof??? So now I'm just in this for the romance;The main leads have great chemistry and this drama is so beautifully filmed with beautiful clothing and wonderful actors.

6 hours ago, Lamphead said:

My analysis:

Hide contents

My understanding - firstly CP's maid didnt expect Qi's maid to push her down the tower. And she will try to protect qi's maid as she is her daughter. 

Correct me if i m wrong :P

• Like 1

This is a synopsis of the scroll debacle as I understand it. The bits in {} are my own assumptions.

Spoiler

Prince Qi - His plan was for Zhang Shang Gong to eavesdrop on his fake plan so she would inform DQ and DQ would then try to expose him. He anticipated Zhang would try to stop Wu as she was her mother and would not want her to be implicated. He instructed Court Lady Wu to push her down and throw down the white cloth containing the purported confession from Zhang about CP pressuring her to frame Prince Qi. Then he arranged for his man to help Wu escape from the crime scene. Being a distrusting man, he gave Wu a blank scroll so that if she lost/dropped it, it would not implicate him. What he did not foresee was that DQ would swap the scroll. Later on, he worried that DQ had imitated his handwriting to incriminate him and gave himself away by blurting out that the scroll he gave Wu was blank.

Maid Wu - She did not know the scroll was blank and tried to burn it to destroy the evidence but due to time constraints, it did not burn completely and she had to hide the remains in the rafters. Unbeknowst to her, Zhang had already swapped the blank scroll with the one written by DQ. This scroll was later found by the palace guards and presented to the Emperor.

Crown Prince Ding Quan -

When he was told about Prince Qi’s plot, he asked Zhang to swap the scroll with a congratulatory scroll. This would foil Prince Qi’s plan but not turn the matter into a scandal. After Zhang was pushed down the wall and the “confessional” piece of white cloth was found, he sent Feng En to look for the accomplice. DQ suspected correctly that Zhang would hide Prince Qi’s scroll in his mother’s former residence. He discovered it was blank and quickly came up with a new plan (got someone to follow Han and find the Prince Qi’s accomplice aka Wu). He feigned ignorance when they were intercepted by the Emperor and Prince Qi to make him let down his guard.

Zhang Shang Gong - After swapping the scrolls, she kept the one written by Prince Qi {she did not know it was blank} in the residence of her former mistress, the deceased Empress and DQ’s mother. She approached Wu {perhaps with the intention to persuade her to leave and let her throw down the swapped scroll}. When she survived the fall, she was caught between her loyalties and her motherly instincts to protect her daugher. She committed suicide because she felt guilty that she had let her former mistress and the CP down.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

Are you asking about why DQ lived outside the palace?

I think towards the end of 11, the Emperor, DQ and Prince Qi went somewhere??

They left the palace, and they went to meet General Ly???

19 hours ago, rosierosie said:

I think towards the end of 9, the Emperor, DQ and Prince Qi went somewhere?? Maybe the sub is not right?

They left the palace, and they went to meet an army general???

It was for an annual willow shooting competition (they put a pigeon inside a gourd and hang it from a willow tree and the competitors show off their shooting skills by shooting at the gourd while riding a horse to free the pigeon) but the Emperor had a double agenda

Spoiler

to move the armies under Li Baizhou’s control to Ming An.

It was mentioned a couple times that Prince Qi always won in past years e.g. when the CP was practising his shooting with Feng En observing him.

On 12/9/2019 at 3:35 AM, aafa83 said:

Like, what was the importance of that room with the bad roof??? 

Spoiler

The numbering of the rooms after the room with a bad roof was changed (i.e. candidate #48 sat in the room that was originally #49). A copy of the leaked exam questions had been hidden inside the rooms before the change in numbering. Feng En and Wenxi’s brother were implicated as the men arranged by Li Baizhou were supposed to be sitting in the rooms they were eventually assigned. Once this was uncovered, they found the real accomplices who then turned around and accused CP of being the mastermind (this was Li Baizhou’s plan to set CP up).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aafa83 said:
  Hide contents

"He anticipated Zhang would try to stop Wu as she was her mother and would not want her to be implicated."

How did she not know that was her mother?

I think she was an illegitimate child. It was not clear how Prince Qi and DQ found out.