[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Royal Nirvana 鹤唳华亭

sugarplum892

1 hour ago, bluehibiscus said:

Bad news, the drama apparently got reported to the Chinese authorities so it is uncertain when further episodes are going to be released. On Youku platform, it is stated the release schedule will be adjusted so hopefully it can still be screened and not suffer the fate of Investiture of the Gods. Not sure if the release schedules on overseas platforms are affected.

I'm confused, thought dramas have to get approval before airing? Do you know the reason why it got reported to the Chinese authorities? 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 8:33 PM, rosierosie said:

I'm confused, thought dramas have to get approval before airing? Do you know the reason why it got reported to the Chinese authorities? 

That's a rumour, I heard a version it's cos of Li Yitong is blocking someone's way so they reported it. But I find that little outrageous, she or Luo Jin for that matter aren't popular enough to attract that kind of attention. The official reason is "media reason", the same one used for Novoland's cancellation. It should have pass NRTA, although a closer look could lead to them finding issues, we'll see how it goes. Tangent note, Goodbye My Princess was aired earlier this year, then taken down for unspecified reason, but recently back online again slightly re-edited with different BGMs. This year is just rough on historical dramas. 

@a_tumiwa very different kind of drama. The closest comparison is the Rise of Phoenixes, due to same styling/costume team (?) and focus on politics. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, skibbies said:

That's a rumour, I heard a version it's cos of Li Yitong is blocking someone's way so they reported it. But I find that little outrageous, she or Luo Jin for that matter aren't popular enough to attract that kind of attention. The official reason is "media reason", the same one used for Novoland's cancellation. It should have pass NRTA, although a closer look could lead to them finding issues, we'll see how it goes. Tangent note, Goodbye My Princess was aired earlier this year, then taken down for unspecified reason, but recently back online again slightly re-edited with different BGMs. Thus year is just rough on historical dramas. 

What? Didn't read about the cancellation or postponement at all. Is it on Youku's website? Since it's also airing on Amazon Prime, that means they're going to pull out from Prime too?

This is too disappointing, especially since it's done midway. I thought the 100-day historical ban period has passed. With regard to Goodbye My Princess -- at least it was done airing when the series was taken down and then reuploaded on the website, no? Same like the Guardian.

The rumor about Li Yitong should not be too surprising. I never heard or read a bad thing about Li Yitong, and she's actually quite low profile. As far as I remember, she doesn't even participate in varieties/reality shows. But she's got at least half a dozen dramas shelved, so .. I dunno... something between her or her agency with the authorities? But her agent isn't notorious like Yu Zheng's or Easy Ent. 

Oh well, whatever it is, I just hope the problem is resolved soon! I also hope her other dramas won't face the same issue. She's a pretty good actress, and most of her dramas are great (or at least interesting) with good actors as her co-stars.

• Like 3

The specific reason is never disclosed in such cases. Even most Mainland Chinese viewers are not familiar with the term used but it means the censorship board has intervened due to the content and usually it is triggered  by someone reporting it since it had already passed censorship once. The speculation is that it has something to do with the political aspect in the drama. I haven’t heard the rumour about Li Yitong but I guess it is possible the drama was getting too much positive attention for someone else’s liking and it is not unheard of for competition in China to play dirty.

I just hope they don’t need to make a lot of changes before it can continue airing. The version of Goodbye My Princess aired in other countries is different from the one in China (uncensored). I wonder if they can do the same for this drama.

• Like 3

I was thinking -- is it possible this "adjustment of release schedule" was due the announcement last week that the drama has secured airing time in more than 200 regions? The authorities might get a nightmare on that, and decided to take a closer look to the drama to make sure its content won't be "harmful" to China. 

On 11/17/2019 at 5:04 AM, caranita said:

What? Didn't read about the cancellation or postponement at all. Is it on Youku's website? Since it's also airing on Amazon Prime, that means they're going to pull out from Prime too?

This is too disappointing, especially since it's done midway. I thought the 100-day historical ban period has passed. With regard to Goodbye My Princess -- at least it was done airing when the series was taken down and then reuploaded on the website, no? Same like the Guardian.

The rumor about Li Yitong should not be too surprising. I never heard or read a bad thing about Li Yitong, and she's actually quite low profile. As far as I remember, she doesn't even participate in varieties/reality shows. But she's got at least half a dozen dramas shelved, so .. I dunno... something between her or her agency with the authorities? But her agent isn't notorious like Yu Zheng's or Easy Ent. 

Oh well, whatever it is, I just hope the problem is resolved soon! I also hope her other dramas won't face the same issue. She's a pretty good actress, and most of her dramas are great (or at least interesting) with good actors as her co-stars.

They didn't announce anything, it was just they updated one instead of two episodes, so they posted a small note on weibo saying it was due to "media reason", then it sort of skipped out on updates for a bit. I think it should air today?

Investiture of God was pulled while it was airing, and that was a TV drama, I don't think the audience ever saw the rest of it, that was due to too much deviation from classics or something? I'm not sure what was GMP's issue since I never watched it. 

I don't really think it's Li Yitong issue so much as a wider industry issue. Various dramas are stuck for various reasons (sometimes it might not necessarily be a government issue). IIRC, all her shelved dramas leads are pretty popular, so she should get more popular when they air.

@caranita Mhm not really? tRoP was bought by netflix while airing (I get the impression they entered the deal pretty early) and didn't run into this issue, although yeah last year there were less problems. The King's Avatar this year was also bought by netflix while airing and didn't run into issue, but it's not a historical. Mostly I think they are too busy going through new dramas that they won't care about dramas airing oversea to go over it again (at least I don't recall that being a thing).

@skibbies GMP was pulled supposedly because of the general restriction on historical dramas in preparation for the celebration of China’s anniversary.

Do you read Chinese? The term used by the platform is not a common term that translates directly to media reason. If it were for reasons other than the censor, they would have used some other term.

On 11/16/2019 at 11:04 AM, bluehibiscus said:

Bad news, the drama apparently got reported to the Chinese authorities so it is uncertain when further episodes are going to be released. On Youku platform, it is stated the release schedule will be adjusted so hopefully it can still be screened and not suffer the fate of Investiture of the Gods. Not sure if the release schedules on overseas platforms are affected.

really? I hope this gets fixed

20 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

@skibbies GMP was pulled supposedly because of the general restriction on historical dramas in preparation for the celebration of China’s anniversary.

Do you read Chinese? The term used by the platform is not a common term that translates directly to media reason. If it were for reasons other than the censor, they would have used some other term.

huh, but it was the only historical that was pulled afaik, must be heavy politics. 

Yeah I know it's an uncommon term, it's why I mentioned Novoland. It was also used for GoT s8 iirc. 

11 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

How is the ending for the book can someone tell me??

In spoilers ofc. 

Spoiler

badly. they both die kind of ending. 

I believe the drama have changed significantly so some aren't sure if it'll follow the novel trajectory. I'm still at very beginning of the novel so can't really guess either, but if I'd wager guess, it probably will. 

In Episode 7, the Emperor seems to hold some fatherly love for the Crown Prince. It is really sad that so many misunderstandings and so much distrust stand between them. The deep relationship between the Crown Prince and his tutor is also very touching. We get to see some sweet moments between the OTP. I can’t wait for Episode 9 for further interactions between them.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, galea said:

Not too sure about the schedule either though. 

On Youku, it's 3 episodes every Monday and Thursday for members, 1 episode Monday to Friday for non-members, same 1 episode per weekday for the "Idol and Romance" YT channel.

The Youku calendar.

Spoiler

calendarlj.jpg

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, jadecloud said:

The Youku calendar.

Thanks for sharing -- though some have shared the scheduling, the calendar really gives perspective to how long it will take to finish this drama. 3 months! Not sure if this works with them. One episode per day isn't really common in Cdramas, no? I wonder how they will keep people's interest in it. On another note, if Sword of  starts to broadcast this coming December, she'll have three airing dramas around the same time :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jadecloud said:

On Youku, it's 3 episodes every Monday and Thursday for members, 1 episode Monday to Friday for non-members, same 1 episode per weekday for the "Idol and Romance" YT channel.

The Youku calendar.

Reveal hidden contents

calendarlj.jpg

Eh? I thought the schedule changed though? Only two episodes aired yesterday :( I mean, that's a lot better than nothing, but I'm also confused as to how it's gonna air now. 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 11:04 AM, bluehibiscus said:

Very disappointing to hear:(

On 11/17/2019 at 8:57 AM, rabbit_casa said:

All the censorship with the Chinese authorities, it must be really hard to produce a good production with all the politics and regulatory policies going on in the country.

Seriously!  It's a wonder any good dramas get made at all with all the internal politics, censorship, pettiness, backstabbing.  

• Like 1

Wow, Luo Jin must've had eye pain or headaches from doing so much crying while filming this drama, 8 epis in and i think i counted like 5-6 out of that that he'd cried already and there're so many epis to go with more sad moments:cry:

The crown prince is so miserable whenever he's at 'home' and yet we get to see he can be such a playful fellow whenever he's amongst his friend or cousin.  Okay, OTP moment, i hope they will just focus mostly on these 2 now, not ready to see crown prince crying again.