[Drama 2018] Your Honor / Dear Judge, 친애하는 판사님께

Maetawinz

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: LIFE, THIRTY BUT SEVENTEEN, RISKY ROMANCE, WITCH’S LOVE, YOUR HONOR, TIME

What’s It About? It’s about a troublemaker who gets caught up in a situation where has to pose as his identical twin brother who’s a courtroom judge.

The Good There are a lot of good things that can be said about this drama. It has an engaging zero-to-hero storyline, interesting characters, great acting, and a fast-paced plot. The dynamics between trouble magnet Han Soo-ho (Yoon Si-yoon) and his mother (Kim Hye-ok) is the one that really hit me hard. They definitely love each another but somehow they got lost in translation. You can easily sympathize with Soo-ho who harbors resentment towards his mother because she has always favored his twin brother over him even if he’s in the wrong. But you cannot also help but pity the old lady who singlehandedly raised her children but got no love from them in return. The story of Song So-eun (Lee Yoo-young) and her struggle to fight sexual harassment during her internship is also a reason to watch the pilot episode of this drama. She may appear very vulnerable but I was pleasantly surprised when she called out his senior for sexually assaulting her even if it’s a downhill battle for her.

Full: https://ahjummamshies.com/2018/08/17/first-impressions-life-thirty-but-seventeen-risky-romance-witchs-love-your-honor-time/

57 minutes ago, clingyahjumma said:

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: LIFE, THIRTY BUT SEVENTEEN, RISKY ROMANCE, WITCH’S LOVE, YOUR HONOR, TIME

What’s It About? It’s about a troublemaker who gets caught up in a situation where has to pose as his identical twin brother who’s a courtroom judge.

The Good There are a lot of good things that can be said about this drama. It has an engaging zero-to-hero storyline, interesting characters, great acting, and a fast-paced plot. The dynamics between trouble magnet Han Soo-ho (Yoon Si-yoon) and his mother (Kim Hye-ok) is the one that really hit me hard. They definitely love each another but somehow they got lost in translation. You can easily sympathize with Soo-ho who harbors resentment towards his mother because she has always favored his twin brother over him even if he’s in the wrong. But you cannot also help but pity the old lady who singlehandedly raised her children but got no love from them in return. The story of Song So-eun (Lee Yoo-young) and her struggle to fight sexual harassment during her internship is also a reason to watch the pilot episode of this drama. She may appear very vulnerable but I was pleasantly surprised when she called out his senior for sexually assaulting her even if it’s a downhill battle for her.

Full: https://ahjummamshies.com/2018/08/17/first-impressions-life-thirty-but-seventeen-risky-romance-witchs-love-your-honor-time/

Hmm..she's confused the brothers? I think she means KangHo not SuHo? And I had a read of her "Bad" as well and I beg to differ. The identity swap I feel is almost a backstory. The real drama seems to play out in the individual cases that have struck chords with the audience.   That's what makes this drama stand out for me...it's gritty real stuff with the interesting characters woven into the plot.  And the fact that it doesn't shy away from the ugly side of reality - the man whose wife got killed by the drunk driver? We don't know how his story ends. We just know he will fight till the end and that's what counts isn't it? The fight for justice and good in this world. When you give up like OSC and just accept 'wrong' as status quo, you lose your sense of humanity.  

EDIT- although to be fair, it is just first impressions so it's a fair call if all she watched was first Episode.

Haha~ I just laughing out loud when  kh stampede back again when nara was closing to kiss him , indeed ysy is something:joy:

But they have the best deep touching romantic scenes together in dj or the most friendly and comfort relationship at the background. 

I feel pity for sh when even his girlfriend without knowing his brother fell in love with kh more than him. :D

Spoiler

Woha @Farbod Asha are you an Oracle whose predictions come true? How your imagine about mother and her both sons at the same day was shown in episode 14? Please more prediction my friend! :P:lol:

@nrllee @jongski The last episode was a real eye-opening for me. From my point of view, it actually shows that SH was the one who always created trouble because he made poor decisions. And it looks like KH is the one who cleans up his mess. The mother is believing that the opposite is happening. What an irony... 

1. SH helped to cover up a scandal in the past where three sons were involved: the son of a conglomerate (LSH), the son of a politician and the son of a hospital director. I have the impression that the third one could be the person OSC introduced to SE before the rapist came. The latter is the second person involved in the scandal. OSC mentioned that SH, Hong and him were involved in the death sentence. This underlines that SH decided to side with OSC and Hong... helped these rich kids. Now, the relatives (brother and girlfriend) are trying to go after SH in order to unveil the truth about PHJ's suicide. Since SH doesn't come from a rich family, they know that SH is the weak link.
  2. SH was also a witness who helped the rapist... which pushed SE's sister to disappear hence this issue is not resolved. 
  3. We saw that SH quit his job before ruling the sentence against the celebrity HJN and the drug dealer JSC as he was caught between Hanyeong Group and the other group led by LSH. This shows that SH was about to cause another mess. Leaving it like that was not a way to do justice, rather it was also creating another problem.

As conclusion, I am hoping that once the brother and the girlfriend of PHJ discover that KH took his brother's identity, they might change their strategy. First of all, KH is actually uncovering all the dirty deeds SH and his "friends" did. Even now, KH has not given up on the drug and assault case. He is definitely after LSH. Striking is that SH is using again his brother in order to remain clean or better said alive. The actual situation resembles to the situation in their youth: SH was threatened with a knife and KH intervened... However, this time the difference will be that weak people are the thread and they could side with KH, once they discover that SH had a twin brother. 

I also think that the brother of deceased convicted might realize the switch as he knew that SH was hurt in the leg. KH will have no scar on his leg... I hope, they join forces and help him to uncover the truth of all these cases so that at some point SH's dirty past blows up to his face. 

Brilliant and insightful @bebebisous33 :o.  Yeah KH always seems to be the one cleaning up SH's messes. Even rectifying the cases left behind and bringing resolution to the 'open' cases like the blind girl and the DUI. I wonder if his tattoo will be his salvation in this second kidnapping attempt? The brother (I thought he was the deceased convict's son initially) seems reluctant to take it as far as the gf though so we'll see how it pans out.

EDIT- I must admit I was impartient and watched last Ep partially subbed so I must've missed the bits when SH was looking through the documents that Madame gave him.

To clarify your point @bebebisous33, you're saying that

1. LSH (conglomerate's son)

2. SE sister's rapist (politician's son?)

3. Man OSC introduced to SE at pool party who tried to hit on her (hospital director's son?)

i vaguely remember that when I translated synopsis from SBS character rundowns that the rapist had links to the medical fraternity so it may well be

2. SE sister's rapist (hospital director's son)

3. Man OSC introduced to SE (politician's son)

Minor detail of course. What matters is that they are all sons of men with clout and power and have money to splash around to navigate around the judicial system.  Those episodes of rage that LSH displays - classic methamphetamines (drugs like ICE) side effects.

EDIT2- @Wotad yeah I agree.  The more people know the harder it's gonna be to tie up loose ends when it comes to KH's impersonation as Judge SH.  I am hoping that writer has already planned this all out in advance...given he's said he's had this drama percolating in his mind for 3years already I am cautiously optimistic.

@nrllee Thanks a lot for the compliment. crazy monkeycute-rabbit-emoticon-21.gif?1301940532

I don't know if the rapist is the director's son or the politician's son and at this point, it doesn't matter. It is just important because we have three persons from different powerful areas. So far, OSC is unaware that SH played a part in helping the rapist. So this is the next timing bomb... as soon as he discovers it, he will use it in order to destroy the relationship between SE and KH. Striking is that all these sons are enjoying the power and wealth from their fathers and they all take it for granted. We saw that LSH has problems with his father, just like OSC. I suspect that these sons are put in a similar situation. Notice that OSC, Hong and SH had to intervene with the case of PHJ in order to cover up the scandal with the three sons. And this is an indication that these three sons knew that if they are caught up again in a scandal, their fathers would abandon them. That's the reason why LSH needs to let the others (drug and assault case) take the fall for him as his father would finally drew the line. 

@Wotad is right that the more people know about KH's impersonation, the more possible it will be leaked. But the question is: it depends on the persons involved... For OSC and the others, it would be a great help.

However, for the brother and the girlfriend of PHJ it is the opposite. Both want justice hence SH is seen as their enemy. The girlfriend thinks that the last case (LSH convicted for 7 years) is just a show. Once they see that KH is different and is adamant to fight against LSH, they might decide to cover up for him. KH helped the husband to make an appeal and gave him the important evidences and points for his appeal. So KH might do the same with them: promising to find the evidences for PHJ's innocence. I thought about this: SH is expecting that KH will die in his place. So what if the opposite happens? SH can not come clean with the identity switch because if he did, all his dirty deeds would resurface and he would lose JE for sure.  

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

Whoa... @bebebisous33 I like how your mind thinks :lol:.  I need to watch more KDrama to get your skills at picking out potential storyline scenarios!  I am a newbie (hoobae) when it comes to KDrama so I bow to your sunbae skills.   :o

red crabThanks a lot for the compliment again. white cloud Well, I am always trying to anticipate what is going to happen...

As I had pointed out before, it is possible that at the end of the day, KH becomes SH the judge. And that's the reason why I thought that the brother and girlfriend of PHJ could end up helping KH. Only the mother can identify her two sons. Sure, the fingerprints could be used against KH, however it is possible to change the file. Then JE could decide to side with KH as she prefers him over the mean and passive-aggressive SH.

If they realize the existence of the twins, helping him to use SH's position could be the solution as they don't need to kill SH. Notice that the brother doesn't want to commit murder, so it shows that he still has some conscience left. It is not just about getting revenge. Moreover,  when SH was held captive, the brother got mad because he couldn't recognize him and knew nothing. The brother asked him to remember. So in my opinion, KH will behave differently. He has already heard from OSC the name of PHJ. Now, he knows that SH, OSC and Hong helped to divert the attention from the scandal with the three sons hence KH will be able to make the connection and even admit what SH did wrong. But for that, he needs to admit that he is impersonating his brother. He has many points speaking for him:

- His leg is not injured.

- He has the tattoo on his arm

- His verdict against LSH and he can mention the last case (HJN, LSH and JSC: drug and assault case)

On the other hand, his time is limited as judge because OSC and the prosecutor are going after KH (disciplinary commission against him). He could lose his position. To conclude, KH needs people by his side in order to unveil the truth. Alone, KH can't stop them (OSC, LSH aso).    

@rachelyun Thank you so much for posting the pictures of the evil prosecutor. The actor Heo Sung-tae ALWAYS plays villainous characters, and he does it really well too.... I've seen some of his interviews and his appearance on Running Man. He actually is very soft spoken, and seems like a sensitive and likeable guy. It would be awesome to see him take on a role as a nice guy sometime. :)

About the last episode.

Seriously, what is wrong with KH's car? :D  KH seems to lock the door, so how are people able to sneak in to the car and leave him money or put in poisonous gas? This has happened on more than one occasion. Had it been my car, I would have taken it into the shop and gotten a new lock after the first time someone left a "gift" in my car.

Anyway, I am looking forward to see who is going to rescue KH. I wouldn't mind it being So-eun. :wub:

@partyon  who have you got as a profile photo?  Looks suspiciously like Keanu??  Don't know...kinda small to make it out.  But I digress... Did KH lock the door though?  No beep beep (??remote) after his suggestion to SE for coffee/tea somewhere?  Just headed up when she offered for him to come up...possibly so stunned by her suggestion that he forgot (and who would blame him :wub:)...much to the chagrin of OSC (death stare)... Yeah the money was a strange one too... but I was willing to let that one slide.  Fentanyl/halothane gas - used in anesthesia?  Brother must be in medical field somewhere?  These are hospital supplies unless he bought it in th black market. Fentanyl is a drug of addiction (opiate like morphine) so it's monitored very stringently under lock and key (sign in to get access type deal).  Potentially fatal, so had the Brother just left KH in the car, he would likely have died in that enclosed space.  :tears:

3 minutes ago, nrllee said:

who have have got as a profile photo?  Looks suspiciously like Keanu??  Don't know...kinda small to make it out.  But I digress... Did KH lock the door though?  No beep beep (??remote) after his suggestion to SE for coffee/tea somewhere?  Just headed up when she offered for him to come up...possibly so stunned by her suggestion that he forgot (and who would blame him :wub:)...much to the chagrin of OSC (death stare)... Yeah the money was a strange one too... but I was willing to let that one slide.  Fentanyl/halothane gas - used in anesthesia?  Brother must be in medical field somewhere?  These are hospital supplies unless he bought it in th black market. Fentanyl is a drug of addiction (opiate like morphine) so it's monitored very stringently under lock and key (sign in to get access type deal).  Potentially fatal, so had the Brother just left KH in the car, he would likely have died in that enclosed space.  :tears:

@nrllee Info about my profile photo:

Spoiler

Yes, my profile photo is of Keanu Reeves in the movie "Bill's and Ted's Excellent Adventure". My soompi name is inspired by that movie: Partyon = Party On! :D

giphy.gif

About the car, I haven't been keeping records of when KH has been locking the car and when he might have left it unlocked. I just think it is a bit strange that he isn't locking it, especially when people have been known to leave him cash in his car on several occasions. The brother seemed to automatically assume he would be able to get into the car to install some poison in the front panel? Maybe this is just sloppy writing, and there's no point in dwelling on this topic anymore. :D

The anesthetic gas wouldn't be available without connections to a hospital. Could there be a link to the hospital director's son?

@nrllee @partyon Thanks for the info about the drug. The anesthetic gas is definitely linked to the hospital. Then we shouldn't forget that PHJ's girlfriend was injured and he took her to the hospital. But with such an injury, the doctor and nurse would have asked her how she got it... so maybe the brother works at the hospital and took care of her injury. Then something came to my mind:

We have HJN who is willing to take the blame thinking that she will receive a light sentence. However, when KH met her, he told her that the verdict could be different: 5 years in prison. He warned her that her lawyer and prosecutor gave her hope which is not normal. And this leads me to this theory: What if they used the same method with PHJ?

Let just say that PHJ took the blame and the relatives knew about it. Nevertheless the relatives didn't expect that the judge would give the death sentence. However, it must have been orchestrated by the three sons. They knew that PHJ could blackmail them. And the brother could be the link between the son of the hospital director and PHJ, especially if the brother is working at the hospital. 

Notice the pattern: SH let his brother take the blame for the knife incident. He knew that the rich guy was the culprit. MAybe that's how SH discovered how to use laws for his own benefit and helped rich people to find "scapegoats" for their wrongdoings. That would explain why SH has such a clean record.  

@bebebisous33 there was some mention of a scholarship for SH?  Acquired through connections maybe?  I am also wondering about his 1st in the nation award.  SE said she sometimes got 1st in class and couldn't comprehend how anyone could consistently get 1st in the nation on a regular basis...and then to emerge 1st in judicial institute and be the youngest ever judge?  Knowing how SH functions I wonder how legitimate all these accolades are?

@partyon I just rewatched last Ep and KH forgot to lock the car...he got out with SE and was intending to say goodbye but then the whole interchange about going somewhere for tea came up (and he was intending on driving her somewhere for that coz there were no coffee shops nearby) and then she suggested heading up to her place...she walked up and he followed...didn't lock the car. 

@bebebisous33 I think your theory about PHJ taking the blame is entirely possible. This kind of scenario is often depicted in kdramas anyway. SH giving PHJ a death sentence, was an easy way of getting rid of someone that could potentially cause the downfall of the three rich guys.

The more these theories fly around, the more I start to dislike SH. :( Even though I am interested in seeing why SH turned out the way he did and what his motivations were, I hope the drama won't spend too much time on his storyline. I want to see KH have a happy ending instead.

3 hours ago, nrllee said:

I just rewatched last Ep and KH forgot to lock the car...he got out with SE and was intending to say goodbye but then the whole interchange about going somewhere for tea came up (and he was intending on driving her somewhere for that coz there were no coffee shops nearby) and then she suggested heading up to her place...she walked up and he followed...didn't lock the car. 

We can conclude from this that KH needs to learn to lock his car!!!! :D

2 minutes ago, partyon said:

Indeed. In fact when I went back and watched Ep15, I noted that when parked underground in SH's apartment (?)  he very animatedly pressed his remote after getting out and car beeped in response (so yeah, no beep, no lock in the case of night he was invited to SE's apartment)...it was kinda all lost because SH was lurking in the background with a tazer in hand...which he never used on KH?  Why not though?  What was he intending to do with KH anyway once he tazered him?  

9 minutes ago, partyon said:

@bebebisous33 I think your theory about PHJ taking the blame is entirely possible. This kind of scenario is often depicted in kdramas anyway. SH giving PHJ a death sentence, was an easy way of getting rid of someone that could potentially cause the downfall of the three rich guys.

The more these theories fly around, the more I start to dislike SH. :( Even though I am interested in seeing why SH turned out the way he did and what his motivations were, I hope the drama won't spend too much time on his storyline. I want to see KH have a happy ending instead.

Well, to me the reasons why SH became vicious and corrupt were already explained - although they were just implied:

• the mother's favoritism: I can imagine that her expectations to keep receiving good grades must have burdened him
  • his inferiority complex: he was jealous of KH who seemed to be so confident and was brave enough to defy his mother
  • his poor social background: he must have resented his family and envied the other rich boys. He must have wished to be born in a rich family.
  • the bullying: he saw that rich people could get away
  • his brother's first arrest: the knife... he saw how he could benefit from the situation. Finding a scapegoat and taking a benefit from the situation. Notice that with KH's first arrest, SH learnt how to exploit laws for his own benefit... hence this could have become his reason why he became a judge. He was never interested in justice.

To conclude, he thought that living that way he could enjoy his life... however, with JE by his side he got aware that he could no longer live like that as he had to deceive her all the time. In the end, he realized his loneliness. So doing a pilgrimage was his way to find himself: he wanted to start his life over and live differently.

20 minutes ago, nrllee said:

Indeed. In fact when I went back and watched Ep15, I noted that when parked underground in SH's apartment (?)  he very animatedly pressed his remote after getting out and car beeped in response (so yeah, no beep, no lock in the case of night he was invited to SE's apartment)...it was kinda all lost because SH was lurking in the background with a tazer in hand...which he never used on KH?  Why not though?  What was he intending to do with KH anyway once he tazered him?  

I was wondering about the same thing. Why was SH lurking in the garage with the taser in his hand?  He was in the garage of his own apartment building and bad guys had been in and out of his apartment because of his kidnapping. Maybe he was waiting for the culprits who were after him, and not KH?

He would have had ample time to tase KH, but didn't do it. That's why I thought he might not be waiting for KH at all.

Or then my judgement is clouded by the fact that I still hope that SH somewhere deep down cares for his twin brother... :)

Archived