[Drama 2018] Your Honor / Dear Judge, 친애하는 판사님께

Maetawinz

22 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Since the mother focused on his grades, she neglected SH's personality... and never paid attention, if he had any friend but if he was a loyal and filial person. Now, she mentions his loneliness and his lack of friends, however she never saw him being with the rich chaebols. SH hid it from her. To conclude, he was not really alone.

Why'd you think he hid it from her? Had the mother know, would she approve or would she tell him not to associate with such people as they're poor.  I think she would have approve of him having rich friends and there lies what and how it would've been for him.

27 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

SH seems to have thought that money and having rich people by his side could improve his life

It became shambles, the more he becamse withdrawn and cold and alone. Yes he's friends with them - he's using them. They're using him. I'm sure being the smart person that SH is, he knows  each and every case is he could have right the wrong and over turn but he didn't because he's afraid of losing,  - The mother, the 'so called friends.. rich immoral ones, the girlfriend, the other judges and his mentor,  the whole judicial system, the expectations.   but... at the end of the day, he's  alone. I now it's not enough to get redemption but it's good to still analyze why it had come  that point in his life.

36 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

So in order to avoid such a situation, SH thought that making connections to rich people would mean that he wouldn't be bullied and would be left alone. Yet, the rape happened and he became an important witness... and once again, he decided not to reveal the truth (like for example having earphones) as he wanted to avoid any pressure.

So true.  He knew for sure. He knew rapist guy was toying with the girl and not serious.. but chose to ignore. Aanother example of  knowing but not doing anything. His behavior  is inexcusable. But knowing his mind works.....we get to see why his character had become immoral as well.

38 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Why lie? In my opinion, SH has learnt from his mother not to reveal the truth. Remember the first scene where KH is punished so harshly by his mother and SH is left almost unpunished. KH complained about it and argued with her to the point that KH decided to rebell against her. In this scene, SH learnt something important. If you don't fight and even remains silence or even lie, then you won't get punished

The truth is despite being the smartest, he is still insecure poor little boy who got picked on. He never grew out of that thinking. And he lies and lies to himself and to others.  As with majority y of dramas, how character's  are depicted with their adult life will stem from how they were shown as young ones growing one.  As in the case of SH and KH, both had it tough.  SH need to admit to wrong doings.

He has never been happy  growing up under pressure,  and being judge. KH and SH they grew up unhappy and messed up. But while KH is trying to make up the right things. SH..... is it futile?

Again to chingus here don't crucify me for wanting for SH to at least have that little bit of redemption.

@bebebisous33 your post give great insights. always like it when I see you in  a thread <3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great points @jongski @bebebisous33 .  No crucifixions here, just robust discussions.  :D  I am in the redemption for SH camp...I don't mind if  it's redemptive death or suffering.  SH in his own way built this house of cards probably spurred on by the responsibility heaped on him by his mom and also self inflicted where he as the 'head of the household' had to uphold the family name and get them out of the poverty cycle.  I don't think he pursued that path because he loved it?  He did it out of duty. If he did love it, he would've been more like the chaebols and having fun at the top.  Instead, he sold his soul for the sake of all those accolades and status out of obligation?  That's how I have always felt about him.  He felt duty bound to excel in school, in career because that was what mom expected of him.  Hence when he showed her his apartment it was almost as if he was trying to get some acknowledgement from her that she was proud of him and it was more than enough...only to be disappointed because she brought up his failure (actually hers) in bringing his errant brother KH in line.  His plea of "Save me mom, save me!  I am drowning!" was telling.  He decided from a young age that he had to stay silent and just play the game even if he didn't like the rules.  He suppressed his morals and his "human" side just to stay on top of the game.  He didn't like it but he felt like he had no choice (erroneous thinking but I get that he could rationalize it this way).

His jibes at his brother (vindictive) stemmed from jealousy.  I know externally it would appear that SH had nothing to be jealous about because he had all the rich pickings and mom's preferential 'love'.  I think he actually wanted to be free like KH but he was just too cowardly to step off the "fast track to success" train once he got on it.  He felt that he (and the family) had too much to lose so he doggedly stayed on the gravy train whilst taking side swipes at carefree, devil may care KH whenever he could out of resentment.  When your chosen lifestyle doesn't match up with your morals (and you personally find it hard to convince yourself that the ends justifies the means), then you develop a sense of self loathing, you do not have a sense of fulfillment in your job, your status - you are empty.  Until finally he couldn't take it anymore and decided to leave it all behind and go on that pilgrimage.  SH projected this internal loathing onto KH.  He probably felt that KH wasn't pulling his weight to halve his burden by trying to better himself and instead making things worse by getting in trouble all the time.  Inwardly he really wished he had KH's courage to just do what he wanted and not have the burden of responsibility for breaking the poverty cycle or upholding the family name.  This came out as his (SH) acts of vindictiveness towards him (KH).  Inexcusable because of the dire consequences on KH's life, but I can understand where he is coming from.  He still needs to come to some sort of epiphany and have a light bulb moment which would get him to realize how wrong it was of him to do that to KH and the fact that his decisions resulted in the death of a man in prison.  At the moment I still don't see that in him.  The acts of turning in his resignation letter again, paying back the bribe money, trying to right the wrongs - these are all external acts...I need to see an internal change in his heart.  To realize that it's not just about externals, it's about the relationships (the internals).  His response to JE when she told him how she was giving it all up for him just highlighted that he still doesn't get it.  She wanted some sort of internal affirmation from him that he loved her for defending him, that he would prove her right in doing what she did, that she meant the world to him, that their relationship was worth fighting for...he didn't give her any of that.  So in my mind, he has a way to go yet in the redemptive process.

@nrllee A great post. I agree with everything you wrote. SH is still acting like a coward because even if he is now trying to change his life, he is actually running away from the wrongdoings he committed. He still believed that giving back the money would solve the problem but like OSC's father said, he never made a deal about it... he was just borrowing money. He signed the resignation without facing anyone, it was as if he wanted to leave the resignation behind and that was it. I also felt frustrated by his reaction, when JE talked to him over the phone. He was not really realizing what JE had done for him: "Sorry and thank you!" He showed no real emotions (upset, desperate aso)... his passivity was really glowing in that moment. I am sure that anyone is waiting for SH's redemption. Even if I don't like SH very much, I am expecting a redemption from him too. He needs to acknowledge his wrongdoings and so far, he hasn't done anything in that direction. He hasn't realized what his lie caused to his brother. He definitely ruined his life but he hasn't admitted anything. 

6 hours ago, jongski said:

Through this show from the beginning, the mother  has always been for  SH. When I saw that first episode, it's the first thing I remember..  disliking her.  SH this SH that.  The interrogation   from ep 1. that was heartfelt and real from KH. So I agree that the mother has to make up for all the years she treated KHas non existent and  below the level of SH.

As for SH... maybe he's afraid deep inside. Maybe he knows what he's doing isn't moral anymore.  he just doesn't want to do anything because he's afraid of losing everything ( if he hasn't already.). He did work hard when he was young to get to where he was- doing something immoral even if he knows. He doesn't have friends, and the one he associates with are all powerful immoral ones.   I know i know I'm making up excuses, trying to salvage SH's character.  I still want to see glimmer of hope for redemption but I'll probably  hear the worse  from chingus. It's okay ( been there before .. The Promise thread with Seo Jun young's character,  Good Wife thread w/  Yoo Ji Tae's character). I don't even know why I want to see these bad characters to at least get redemption.

And by the way, here's hoping Lee Yoo Young win some thing.. bes tnew comer?

I think we all want SH to change but even then if he changes will i like or care for him not really? Hes done to much bad stuff to be forgiven in my view betraying his brother is a no no from me.

If he died i would only feel sad because maybe KH would be sad.

Who knows maybe it will change though and ill feel something for SH later on. 

3 hours ago, nrllee said:

Good points and you make me think of SH another way i hope he has a light bulb moment and wakes up etc.. If he admits it though then KH will most likely lose the judge position that is why i cant support SH redeeming him self.

He ignored a rape victim/lied

Put his brother in Jail/Treated his brother badly

Basically made a man commit suicide

Its hard to even think about caring for this character yet, i sympathize a bit with him but still cant support him at all. 

6 hours ago, jongski said:

I still want to see glimmer of hope for redemption but I'll probably  hear the worse  from chingus. It's okay ( been there before .. The Promise thread with Seo Jun young's character,  Good Wife thread w/  Yoo Ji Tae's character). I don't even know why I want to see these bad characters to at least get redemption.

Probably because deep down we want to believe that no one is beyond redemption?  That there but for the grace of God go I?  That it may a long way back from the pit we have dug ourselves into but someone actually believes that we are worth saving regardless? I get you chingu. No apologies necessary for holding that point of view :)

On 9/8/2018 at 9:30 AM, Farbod Asha said:

@Maryam all the cast and staffs are wonderful , but ysy on his own does superb acting and capture the scenes. He motivates other cast submit better performance. When I reviewed the kiss scene with Se several times with more focuse on I found somehow @Minoo Maani says right. Se expressions and emotions are wonderful but while kissing acting the most attraction and emotions were of ysy making you unconsciously just look at his touching face with that beautiful drop of tear on his face. The scene is moving but mostly by ysy. Even in eps23,24 more than before eps ysy significantly possessed the screen so the rating jumped up though there was more place to get higher. And Nara also had a wonderful shining in these eps.  yy too with her sweet smile and beautiful acompany with ysy  at the end left an indelible image of herself. It was more touching ending. 

@Farbod Asha me too, I reviewed the comments for the kiss scene in various sites as youtub or even those posted from melodrama here. Except a few ones all the comments were about wonderful acting kiss by ysy and no mentioning of lyy. They are real comments not a few borrowed from here and there or underground. Even we find some comments have not possitive view to her though I  don't think so she is good in this role . When reviewing the kiss video between Nara and ysy most of the comments were more possitive and they preferred nara was his costar and they loved more the kiss scene of them though it was not as serious and romantic  as between se and ysy but performed with better emotion and gesture by nara . Anyway the kiss scene is fine but further more because of ysy and I think both scenes were captured by superb acting of ysy. 

I really become so happy when kh reported the name of criminals consisting the raper to yy's sister and she extremely got happy and yes her emotion with kh in this scene is further better with her happy smile.

Especially after the years with nightmare of raping to her sister.

And really it's felt there's strong need for a saving from boring here. A nice work by @Jelve just focused on him.  :wub:

I'm new from France and i love this drama.

I can't forgive SH 's lie that sent KH in jail the first time. What an horrible betrayal. .  At this moment SH changed his brother's life forever. 

As for the Rape, he didn't mention the earbuds but still he didn't see and didn't hear anything...He should have mentioned he couldn't hear the screams.

The worse SH can do now is to reveal KH had taken his identity. It will be horrific. KH will go to jail, but all KH 's trials will be annuled. A great win for the evil guys.  I hope he won't do that, but there is still a possibility it will happen.

I'm so sad, because KH seemed so happy to be a judge and he is a good judge, sure he needs to study a lot the laws to be perfect. But still we know it's impossible for KH to remain a judge, he relayed a lot on SE once she is gone, he 'll be in trouble for the technicals issues. as even later, he can't start to  study the law seriously in order to become a real judge because he was a criminal. That's sad.

The mother did so many wrong to both her sons. It's sad. 

@pupuce crazy monkey 037Welcome to this forum and thread! crazy monkey 017cheerleader pink mouseYour user name made me so laugh...leaf well, I am French too.

However, I do think that the solution will be the switch of identities. If KH assumes SH's identity and it is never discovered, then KH can actually see as a repayment for the wrongdoing SH committed in the past. If KH had not been sent to jail, then he could have become a judge. Moreover, I can see as an atonement if SH decides to assume KH's identity and past. His criminal record is his punishment. As for studying the law, SH could help him... If the brother and ex-girlfriend accept that KH took his brother's place, then they might see in him an ally: bring to light what happened back then. Nevertheless, I suspect that the ex-girlfriend might reject the idea as we know that she is responsible for the suicide.    

@pupuce Welcome to this thread! :)  

I am on the SH and mom redemption train, and have been for a long time. So @jongski and @nrllee you are not alone... :D

SH and KH were both harmed in their own ways by their upbringing. Things went sour and both used the tools they had at hand to cope with whatever issues they had at home and at school.

SH froze his feelings and became introverted, deep down resenting his brother and mother for his fate. Instead of being able to take responsibility for his own feelings and actions, he blamed his feelings/situation on others. That is actually a very common reaction.

KH lashed out at everyone and showed his feelings, but also he resented his brother and mother. Unlike SH though, he was in a better position to at least try to get out of the situation, because he was better at speaking about his own feelings and also showing them. Though he blamed others for why he turned out the way he did at first, he has been able to change that and see the whole picture. That's why he has a shorter way to redemption than his brother.

In essence, though, both brothers have had the same problem initially, they just reacted differently to it. But as KH has already made more progress, he is now the wiser of the two brothers. (Mind you, I am not talking about IQ - there is a big difference between rational intelligence and wisdom). From my point of view, the only way that SH can now get redemption, is by suffering. He needs to suffer so that he can get the kick to change his ways. It might sound counteractive, but most of the time people who suffer the most are the ones that are able to change...

Also, I think that there are things we viewers haven't learnt yet about SH. I think that more things are still going to be revealed, which might change our minds about him.

15 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

However, I do think that the solution will be the switch of identities. If KH assumes SH's identity and it is never discovered, then KH can actually see as a repayment for the wrongdoing SH committed in the past. If KH had not be sent to jail, then he could have become a judge. Moreover, I can see as an atonement if SH decides to assume KH's identity and past. His criminal record is his punishment. As for studying the law, SH could help him... If the brother and ex-girlfriend accept that KH took his brother's place, then they might see in him an ally: bring to light what happened back then. Nevertheless, I suspect that the ex-girlfriend might reject the idea as we know that she is responsible for the suicide.    

You took the words out of my mouth @bebebisous33 :D I have already thought about this during the last few weeks, and I think that it might actually be one route to go. It's possible that they will remain as brothers who permanently switch identities.

There is also a possibility that they do switch back to their roles after KH has cleaned up all the mess SH created, but it will never be revealed to the public. SH will for sure not continue as a judge after that. KH will study to become a judge (at least I hope so).

I am not sure if I understood the preview fully, but it seems that KH did reveal to PJH's brother and ex-girlfriend that he isn't SH. I might have missed something, but I didn't perceive her as the person who was fully responsible for the suicide? Yes, she said something that might have given him the idea to kill himself, but I didn't feel like she did it in a planned and malicious manner? She seemed more frustrated in the scene about the situation and how to save him than anything else? Therefore, I think it could be possible they will use KH to make things right.

48 minutes ago, partyon said:

I am not sure if I understood the preview fully, but it seems that KH did reveal to PJH's brother and ex-girlfriend that he isn't SH. I might have missed something, but I didn't perceive her as the person who was fully responsible for the suicide? Yes, she said something that might have given him the idea to kill himself, but I didn't feel like she did it in a planned and malicious manner? She seemed more frustrated in the scene about the situation and how to save him than anything else? Therefore, I think it could be possible they will use KH to make things right.

Yeah I couldn't hear that either.  Ex gf said something that precipitated it?  Something to the effect that she couldn't understand why PJH didn't want a retrial or appeal and that if that was the case, he might as well just die because everyone was fighting so hard for him?  I think PJH just took it as face value and thought she told him to take his own life?  It seemed like she felt responsible hence that flashback.  But she's in denial.  She doesn't want to believe that it's her fault so I feel like she's projected that onto SH, blaming him for it and somehow convincing herself that he was the one who delved out the death sentence in the first place?  So her misplaced sense of guilt is driving her to murder SH?

I feel like the brother PJH2 may be the savior here.  He was already not quite convinced about SH being the cause of his brother's death and he wasn't happy to go along with her plan of kidnapping the mother (?).  It just sounded like he was sort of okay with SH being taken out but definitely no collaterals.  So if they do find out that they got the wrong twin, he's going to be in a quandary.  Gf may be okay to taking both twins out but I doubt he will go along with it.

Yes I did toy with that permanent switch of identity for a bit now too.  Kudos to @bebebisous33 for calling it. :D. Credit yours to take if writer decides that's how it will end.

EDIT- I watched the preview a few times and it did sound like KH yelled "Han SuHo a-ni-ya!"??  Which means "I am not Han SuHo".  Don't know for sure my Korean's not great.

1 hour ago, partyon said:

You took the words out of my mouth @bebebisous33 :D I have already thought about this during the last few weeks, and I think that it might actually be one route to go. It's possible that they will remain as brothers who permanently switch identities.

There is also a possibility that they do switch back to their roles after KH has cleaned up all the mess SH created, but it will never be revealed to the public. SH will for sure not continue as a judge after that. KH will study to become a judge (at least I hope so).

I am not sure if I understood the preview fully, but it seems that KH did reveal to PJH's brother and ex-girlfriend that he isn't SH. I might have missed something, but I didn't perceive her as the person who was fully responsible for the suicide? Yes, she said something that might have given him the idea to kill himself, but I didn't feel like she did it in a planned and malicious manner? She seemed more frustrated in the scene about the situation and how to save him than anything else? Therefore, I think it could be possible they will use KH to make things right.

@partyon Here is the conversation between the ex-girlfriend and PJH

Ex-girlfriend: "Why did you do it? Why do you keep lying? You didn't do it.

PJH: I have to. 

Ex-girlfriend: Did someone make you?

PJH: The judge doesn't like people who go back and forth. Otherwise I can never go home!

Ex-girlfriend: You agreed to listen only to me. You said, you would listen only to me, so why? Are you really stupid? Why are you making it so hard for us? We're both a mess. Do you realize that? If you want to die so badly, die alone!" 

What caught my attention are two things:

- Her statement in the beginning: "You didn't do it". So her words illustrate that PJH never killed his mother and she knows his innocence. All this led me to the next question: if he was innocent, then who did it?

- The fact that she empathizes that PJH had sworen that he would listen only to her. Why did she want him to listen only to her in the first place? So her words outline that she gave him instructions which he had to follow. The question is then WHY? 

In my opinion, she was the one who killed the mother and had planned everything. Moreover, in her last reply, she kept talking about "us". I don't think, she meant the brother and her. The "us" was referring to them as a couple. By admitting the crime, this means that they can not be together ("Why are you making it so hard for us?"). I have the impression that the mother was against the idea of PJH dating this woman. From my point of view, she had planned it so that once the mother is declared dead, they can be together. However, since LSH and the other chaebols were involved in the scandal, the prosecutor and SH forced PJH to confess the crime. Maybe they were never interested in investigating the identity of the real culprit, since they needed a big scandal in order to cover up the crimes from the chaebols. If they had discovered that the ex-girlfriend was involved, this wouldn't have been enough for diverting the attention of the media. The question is did the prosecutor office investigate properly or not? I doubt it.

You are right that she never wanted him to commit suicide and said these words in her despair and anger. However, she knows definitely that she was the one who put the idea in his head. She knows that she had such an influence on PJH hence she is well aware that she is responsible for his suicide. She can not reveal it to the brother hence she blames the judge.

Sounds plausible @bebebisous33  Yes I think PJH's mom didn't like her (that's why the brother PJH2 wasn't totally for her either, there was that heated exchange in the apartment whilst she was recuperating where it was clear their relationship wasn't wonderful).  I always thought it was odd that PJH would kill his mom.  It didn't make sense.  If the gf did it then it makes more sense.  Or it was somehow unintentional?  Maybe SH promised something to PJH that despite the death penalty he would turn it around later once the press cooled off over the LSH case (I assume they don't get executed straight away, they sit in death row for a while...there's a process to follow...and then there's an option to appeal).  But of course that plan was derailed when he took his own life (it sounded like SH promised PJH that if he didn't flip flop, he could go home?).  JE's journalistic approach to the whole case where she suspected the prosecution had ulterior motives in releasing so much detail on the case was spot on...they were trying to paint a really bad picture and sensationalize it to draw the media spot light away from LSH.

2 hours ago, pupuce said:

I'm new from France and i love this drama.

I can't forgive SH 's lie that sent KH in jail the first time. What an horrible betrayal. .  At this moment SH changed his brother's life forever. 

As for the Rape, he didn't mention the earbuds but still he didn't see and didn't hear anything...He should have mentioned he couldn't hear the screams.

The worse SH can do now is to reveal KH had taken his identity. It will be horrific. KH will go to jail, but all KH 's trials will be annuled. A great win for the evil guys.  I hope he won't do that, but there is still a possibility it will happen.

I'm so sad, because KH seemed so happy to be a judge and he is a good judge, sure he needs to study a lot the laws to be perfect. But still we know it's impossible for KH to remain a judge, he relayed a lot on SE once she is gone, he 'll be in trouble for the technicals issues. as even later, he can't start to  study the law seriously in order to become a real judge because he was a criminal. That's sad.

The mother did so many wrong to both her sons. It's sad. 

I still think he can become a judge its dramaland anything is possible. 

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@pupuce crazy monkey 037Welcome to this forum and thread! crazy monkey 017cheerleader pink mouseYour user name made me so laugh...leaf well, I am French too.

However, I do think that the solution will be the switch of identities. If KH assumes SH's identity and it is never discovered, then KH can actually see as a repayment for the wrongdoing SH committed in the past. If KH had not been sent to jail, then he could have become a judge. Moreover, I can see as an atonement if SH decides to assume KH's identity and past. His criminal record is his punishment. As for studying the law, SH could help him... If the brother and ex-girlfriend accept that KH took his brother's place, then they might see in him an ally: bring to light what happened back then. Nevertheless, I suspect that the ex-girlfriend might reject the idea as we know that she is responsible for the suicide.    

This is what im hoping for.

I love how Mantis may now have a lot of airtime, but his lines made a lot of impact in KH. And it was sooo funny how he said that KH is too dumb to be a criminal. :lol:

I like how it now has clarity as to why the exgf is gungho on killing SH. Her guilty conscience is the driving force behind her need to pin the blame on someone else beside herself.

SH is blaming KH for getting into trouble as the reason for him accepting bribes. Well, if he didn't lie and didn't get KH into trouble for defending his wimpy a**, KH wouldn't have started his stint in prison.

Still a lot of things to settle here. I hope they wouldn't get exposed for the switch as it would be unfair to have the bad guys get off scot free just because of the switch.

@allythefangirl About Mantis: KH calls him "hyungnim" which reveals that KH has some respect for him. Mantis is replacing SH and is acting as the brother and surrogate father for KH.

In the preview, we see KH taking the bribe from the other Group which will be the reason why KH is kidnapped as PJH2 believes that the judge hasn't changed that much. However, he is mistaken... the money received by KH will be used for a different purpose. SH cut his credit cards and cellphone. Moreover, I think that at some point SH and KH might use the existence of a twin in order to say that SH was never bribed. KH the thug used his identity... since the group gave the money illegally to SH/KH, they can never claim that they gave it to the judge himself. KH/SH might reply that his brother must have used his identity. If they try to blackmail him, then SH can act as if he knew nothing and say that he has a twin brother... :D

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@allythefangirl About Mantis: KH calls him "hyungnim" which reveals that KH has some respect for him. Mantis is replacing SH and is acting as the brother and surrogate father for KH.

SH was never a brother to KH. I loved it when the mother said that he did not deserve to be an older brother. However, I feel like it doesn't matter to SH.

Archived