[Drama 2018] Bad Papa, 배드파파 - 2018 Grimae Awards for Best Actor & Best Drama

Prettysup

Farewell video by cast :

Jang Hyuk :

I played the role of Yoo Ji-cheol in 'Bad Papa' , and it has ended. As far as the genre is concerned, I think it is a very difficult genre, including 10 boxing matches, and the emotional aspect. (Yoo Ji-cheol) is a role that needs to express feelings other than that experienced in everyday life. It is very difficult and made me worry about more rich emotional expression, which is an opportunity for me. Because of the excellent colleagues who have worked together, I can successfully complete the actions and feelings in the drama. I received this work at this age and I think it is a very good experience. I hope everyone can wear warm clothes in the cold winter and finish the rest of the year. I will also sincerely and hardly meet you again through other works~

Son Yeo-eun
I feel that I had barely started this, but now it has ended in the blink of an eye and I feel very sad. I had a good time working with all the actors during the filming of "Bad Papa", especially when I was shooting with Eun-soo. Towards the end of the drama when Eun-soo was sick,. the scenes deepens my relationship with my daughter  and we get along very well personally too. I will show you a better roles in the future. Please continue to look forward to it. Everyone has worked hard~

Shin Eun-soo :
"Bad Papa" started shooting in the summer, and now it is cold winter. The staff and the actors have put a lot of effort during the hot summer, and I am very happy to finish this drama well. It is a meaningful piece of work to me. Thanks to all the viewers who watched and loved "Bad Papa" on time, I will try my best to meet you through other works, thank you~

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't expect to cry buckets by the end of the episode.  Though I wished JC would survive this, the ending was executed better than I have imagined.  I was in tears from the start of the final episode and it was flowing freely by the end of it.  And like @kohnlee, this is the next JH's drama which makes me cry so much after Chuno, with the same lingering heartbreak after the show has ended.   

I felt so regretful for JC.  I agree with him that he's such an idiot, acting foolishly in many occasions.  But he's also a selfless man, doing what he can for his loved ones the best way he knows how.  His final words to his wife and daughter, and that last look he gave his wife before being pushed to the operating room really makes me :bawling:

So it was the ugly cry ending. I went back and forth on whether I thought JC would survive, but it was clear after episode 15 that he was going to die, so I was prepared. It was just a question of how well it would be executed, and I ended up being quite satisfied. This drama was about what a father would do for his daughter and that was consistent to the end. 

Some stray thoughts: The "dream" with JC and YS in the field. Sobs. I loved the final fight between JC and MH. I'm glad YS still has YD in her life. 

This drama didn't get much love in Korea or internationally, but I'm happy with it, even if it made me ugly cry lol. 

@kohnlee I think this drama made me cry as much as when I watched Fated to love you. And I watched it without subs.. I cried when I was watching Chuno too and like  @AgnesO mentioned , the drama does leave a lingering heartbreaking feeling..:dissapointed_relieved:

8 hours ago, qynn said:

his drama was about what a father would do for his daughter and that was consistent to the end.

Like the teaser where he was lying on the ground after the bus explosion, he doesn't want to be everyone's hero, he just wants to be an ordinary dad. Maybe the  reason for the appearance of blue pills is just so that JC could then realise he has the ability to save his daughter. 

This story reminds me of an old Japanese drama " Summer snow" where

Spoiler

the guy died in an traffic accident and donated his heart to his dying girlfriend who was waiting for a heart transplant. He lives through her as she can always feel his presence in her. Too tragic an ending but it left a lasting impression on me..

My best episodes in the show are all the moments when he took the pills and showed his superpowers, the scene where they showed how SJ fell in love with JC and the last episode...

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

@kohnlee I think this drama made me cry as much as when I watched Fated to love you. And I watched it without subs.. I cried when I was watching Chuno too and like  @AgnesO mentioned , the drama does leave a lingering heartbreaking feeling..:dissapointed_relieved:

10 hours ago, qynn said:

his drama was about what a father would do for his daughter and that was consistent to the end.

Like the teaser where he was lying on the ground after the bus explosion, he doesn't want to be everyone's hero, he just wants to be an ordinary dad. Maybe the  reason for the appearance of blue pills is just so that JC could then realise he has the ability to save his daughter. 

This story reminds me of an old Japanese drama " Summer snow" where

Hide contents

the guy died in an traffic accident and donated his heart to his dying girlfriend who was waiting for a heart transplant. He lives through her as she can always feel his presence in her. Too tragic an ending but it left a lasting impression on me..

My best episodes in the show are all the moments when he took the pills and showed his superpowers, the scene where they showed how SJ fell in love with JC and the last episode...

Plus the Daughter and Father conversations - those conversation really got me!

On 11/28/2018 at 10:55 AM, kohnlee said:

And for others who are not familiar with JH - that last scene where the Wife said u shouldn’t leave someone when things are tough. 

Now that was what his real Wife said to him when he was in army!! 

Yes! And this is the clip where JH shared that story about his wife.

Congrats Jang Hyuk for being awarded the 2018 Grimae awards 'Best Actor' award for his role in Bad Papa. Kim Sun-A wins the best actress award for her role in 'Should we kiss first'. 'Bad Papa' also wins the best drama award.

The awards ceremony will be held on 7 December this Friday.

Grimae Awards is an awards ceremony held annually by the Korean Television Producers Association since 1993. The award aims to promote the development of innovative visuals due to the phenomenon of media convergence both inside and outside the world at the present time, where the role of the cinematographer in the Korean broadcasting company is increasing, and to improve the qualities and competence of each individual filmmaker.

JH had previously won this award in 2010 for his role in 'Chuno'.

PS18120400004.jpg

http://www.edaily.co.kr/news/read?newsId=01092246619435240&mediaCodeNo=258

Bad Papa Korean Drama Review
Posted on December 12, 2018 by Kay

bad-papa-jang-hyuk-6-e1544405002268.jpg

Bad Papa is about a struggling man (Jang Hyuk) that has financial and family problems who discovers a miracle drug that allows him to gain a career fighting mixed martial arts by enhancing his physical abilities.

I went into Bad Papa pretty blind having only been aware of the basic plot and seen a couple teasers. There wasn’t much buzz around the drama, so it was easy to avoid any fan reaction. And I have to say, Bad Papa is such an underrated drama! It’s pretty different from most of the dramas out there, and it was just an all around pleasant surprise in the most amazing kind of way.

Continue reading here :

https://kdramakisses.com/2018/12/12/bad-papa-korean-drama-review/

I finally had the strength (and the time) to watch the last four episodes. Well, I expected either the route of the death or imprisonment for JC. Death is more fitting for the storyline he has with his daughter, as if only by sacrificing himself he can save his daughter. In the end the drama was about dads doing what they can to protect their daughters and everyone got punished differently. Almost all the storylines were closed but I wonder why they kept president Jeong at large...? I mean, he is one of the cruelest ones and he could only get worse with time and history would repat itself with a different doctor and staff. They could have done that thanks to the evidence the dead detective collected, they could arrest him. But what can we do now.

As for JC's match with MW, I think it also fits that MW is the winner. JC fought until the end, and MW was the winner because he was declared winner, so he knew he won because of his abilities and not because of what he believed a fixed match like 11 years before. Somehow, I'm sad JC didn't win the title but since he was going to die and MW was going to survive, it's more logical in terms of storyline to make the champion who's gonna keep fighting, win. It's more realistic this way. We cannot always win in life and JC knew it but he was still happy that he got to fight with his junior.

One of the things that maybe got me angry is that until the end the females of this drama acted but not really. I mean, the writer used the female characters but not in an empovering way, because it seemed like in the end it were always the men's (or the dads) words or actions to have more impact. I also found it that the part of the drama involving women was written as if the women needed to  be protected and that's it. They rarely acted as a vivid part of the story, as if only the men controlled the situation. Look at SJ for example. She used to have character, but in the end she accepted to "rest" and be a housewife. I don't find this improving, but degrading. I hated that JC (as well as the other male characters) didn't communicate with his wife and she accepted silently. OK that she loved him and like she said, she wouldn't leave someone just because things are tough. But I think at some point she should have questioned her husband and her husband should had opened up (even a bit) to her. The drama is called "Bad Papa" for a reason, but this doesn't mean the mothers or the daughters need to be casted aside and only endure whatever the men did.

To me this drama was enjoyable despite some predictable plots and the lack of female agency. I think with more balance between the characters, and if women had as much resonance as the bad papas, this could have been more appreciated. I've read many comments say that this was bad, and bla bla bla. It wasn't that bad. It was different. I think in terms of story and filming it wasn't like the usual drama viewers expect to watch. It had its k-drama cliques, but it was also original somehow. Maybe this won't be in my TOP dramas, but I don't feel like I've wasted my time watching it. I also liked the OST a lot.

Archived