[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] My True Friend 我的真朋友

sugarplum892

@bluesytb

I wonder if it's 'cause Angelababy is a wife & mom now that her roles are sort of more demure and..chaste LoL?:P But she did do steamy passionate scenes before so I don't know (shrug) It's just that the synopsis sets up Deng Lun & Angelababy as a pair so it's disappointing right now. I see she's more obsessed with the idea of Jing Ran instead of who he really is. Which is why he asked her. If only she were more honest! Her other recent drama Entrepreneurial Age (also airing) is a letdown... 

And most C-Dramas especially the contemporary ones have many social, slice-of-life kind of themes. I just don't like how materialistic and shallow they portray the men & women. Heck I'm Asian so it definitely irks me LoL.

Side note, Jing Ran's mom resembles Young-Ja of Hello Counselor:w00t::lol: 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Latte_Anyday said:

@bluesytb

I wonder if it's 'cause Angelababy is a wife & mom now that her roles are sort of more demure and..chaste LoL?:P But she did do steamy passionate scenes before so I don't know (shrug) It's just that the synopsis sets up Deng Lun & Angelababy as a pair so it's disappointing right now. I see she's more obsessed with the idea of Jing Ran instead of who he really is. Which is why he asked her. If only she were more honest! Her other recent drama Entrepreneurial Age (also airing) is a letdown... 

I don't know - I think I've only seen her in Tai Chi 0 (aside from this), so I really don't know much about her.  

Yes,  I feel that's one of the main points is that shes obsessed with the idea of JR.  And she's coming to realize he's not the person she thinks he is, and that they're not compatible.  She's beginning to speak her mind now that he made some major decisions for her. 

59 minutes ago, Latte_Anyday said:

And most C-Dramas especially the contemporary ones have many social, slice-of-life kind of themes. I just don't like how materialistic and shallow they portray the men & women. Heck I'm Asian so it definitely irks me LoL.

Side note, Jing Ran's mom resembles Young-Ja of Hello Counselor:w00t::lol: 

I think that's why I enjoy Cdramas so much.  :)  (I mean for the social themes part) though as for shallowness/being materialistic -  to be honest I kinda feel like a lot of people have their reasons, so I can kinda see where that side comes from.  I mean, it's a hard world to live in and a lot of people struggle to get by, and often money is a solution to that problem.  Not only that, but there's also cultural issues as well - like how men and women are perceived and socialized (and I mean this is a worldwide issue - not limited to any one country)    

I mean to me, examples would be Mei Li - always going on about beauty standards, and how she always steals away jobs, wanting to be the best - underneath it all,  I feel she's horribly insecure and needing to prove herself her value.

Or Fu Xiao Ning - His shallowness comes from feeling like he needs to provide for his gf

And even ZZ - her shallowness - is JR being her idol and her thinking she's in love with him when she barely knows him.  She's kinda constructed an elaborate fantasy around him (likewise he does the same to her -wanting her to be the perfect little housewife to raise his children)   These last few episodes show her seriously doubting him, and the veil coming off and seeing him as he really is.     

Those are just my thoughts on the subject anyways - not that I'm right or anything.      

11 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Immediately dropped this after 12 ep. I think? I used to think critics were harsh toward Angelababy's supposed bad acting, but nope they were right LoL! 

Surprisingly, she wasn't this bad in Love 020 (the movie) & General & I...hmm. Maybe she needs the right male co-star I guess? 

I'm not sure what they were trying to achieve with this drama, like it comes off kind of preachy at times? With it's filial piety undertones & there's like zero development between Deng Lun & Angelababy. 

I think another problem is she is working opposite Deng Lun and Zhu Yilong who are obviously far superior actors than she is. She's very beautiful to look at and it's obvious she's trying her best, but you quickly realize that she really only has one expression most of the time that is dependent on whether or not she widens her doll-like eyes, whereas her two male costars are doing different expressions like every second, even when they're not the focus of the scene. 

I'm still not sold on the drama...it's kind of boring...actually the premise doesn't even sound like something that can become all that interesting. Feels like a waste of the two solid male leads.

The previews looked jampacked and troublesome.. 

I am already feeling sad of what is yet to come. We have anticipated all these since the earlier episodes. Only now we are getting all the action with only 14 episodes left... Haaay... 

One thing for sure... Deng Lun is about to shine brighter with his acting chops in the coming episodes. I CANNOT WAIT! 

@Razberry

Right?! 

Like with Angelababy, I'm amazed she's still able to land gigs.. hey I'm a girl & even I admit she's easy on the eyes ha. But yea her acting? Eh. Honestly, when Dilraba was in a drama with Deng Lun previously & even she pull it off nicely. Dilraba get slam for her acting as well.. 

@bluesytb

I agree with your observations on the characters, there's just this really heavy tone of how a woman should never marry unless the man has 3 things. Car, House & Money of course. If the woman can deal with it I don't see why her parents have reason to object. Unless he's a criminal LoL! Like this was the case in an earlier ep. Eventhough the guy had a job (better than penniless/jobless, my opinion anyways) but nope not enough for mommy dearest. 

Also I get Zhen2 respects Jing Ran's mom but to be a doormat and let everything elders do to dictate is wrong. She should've taken a stance long ago.. It's dragging the narrative right now. Deng Lun is the clichéd male lead with mommy issues & resentment toward his dad - what's new LoL? 

The shallow issue for me is prevalent in China where I've read someplace a man 'sold' his gf just for an iPhone! If that's not materialistic/shallow, well Idk.. Or how the women are so into wearing designer logos on their chests or carrying bags with giant logos on them. So tacky & scream poseur to me. I know 'cause my neighbors are just like that. They were concerned on keeping up appearances until they couldn't anymore. 

Hello all, 

I am new to this forum but am glad I found it so that I can read all your most riveting comments. Here are some of my opinions: 

Angelababy:
Yea read a lot abt her bad acting before this show but I must say that I did not find her too bad. Honestly, her big eyes and beautiful looks does not help her as I think we end up expecting more from someone who looks good on screen in the first place (ie one less barrier) hence perhaps we might all be a bit biased ? I have seen a cut of Deng Lun actually giving her acting tips on one of her really early scenes and to have that actually documented on youtube is really quite humbling so I'm inclined to cut her some slack. I must also really place blame on story, writing and direction. And seriously, can they not give her that same straight "I'm a nice girl" hair style which is so passe and really an oversell on her character as being naive. Can she not have more personal style(s) and still be a nice kind girl? 

Deng Lun: 

Love his acting always and I think cos this script is so cliche that he has to almost act more than necessarily to make the character become more 'eye-catching' and more interesting because the script is not. 

YiLong: 

Goodness me, this guy is written like a 2-dimensional person. Almost like those old paper dolls where you just put on different clothing to reflect each season. The script does him no favours as he seems like a really a fairly self-absorbed person who only cares about himself and his mum and now his girlfriend and in contrast to the other 2 characters is not socially concerned it seems. I think this contrast is too stark and does his character a real disservice as someone like ZZ would have noticed his indifference to others after dating him even in a short time. Also, his character needn't be just excellent in everything and not care abt everything else. It's just too one dimensional to be realistic and gives him not much room to show off his acting or range of emotions. He is such a smart and brilliant man, it's sad that when he sits in a meeting (much later episodes you'll see) where ideas are presented that he cannot objectively participate to discuss or consider their merits?

Writing and script: 

Honestly, besides the fact that my fav DL is acting I think I might have dropped this real early as there's really too much uninteresting side stories and unrealistic scenarios that seem to always have a resolution but again life is not always a happy ending. Some good parts however is the family dramas that reflect the modern day asian cosmo city living issues esp prevalent in Asia cities like Shanghai, Tokyo, HK, Singapore, Seoul. I think that part hits home a lot and it's good to have it fleshed out in the drama. I think also the space saving archi drawings are interesting and might help give real life examples to make our small homes much more cost effective. I also think somehow this writer is better at writing lines for elder folks than for the younger ones as they make a lot of sense and also rather realistic but for the younger pple I assume in their mid twenties to early thirties, the language and style is so not current at all. 

That's all from me folks and it's nice for me to really hear your thoughts on the different subjects pertaining to this show or even just DL, so I hope you'll all keep em' coming! 

Ps

Sorry for the long rant as Im already at ep 36 and still hoping the script lines/plot gets better hahahaha

4 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

@bluesytb

I agree with your observations on the characters, there's just this really heavy tone of how a woman should never marry unless the man has 3 things. Car, House & Money of course. If the woman can deal with it I don't see why her parents have reason to object. Unless he's a criminal LoL! Like this was the case in an earlier ep. Eventhough the guy had a job (better than penniless/jobless, my opinion anyways) but nope not enough for mommy dearest. 

Also I get Zhen2 respects Jing Ran's mom but to be a doormat and let everything elders do to dictate is wrong. She should've taken a stance long ago.. It's dragging the narrative right now.

I see where you're coming from, and agree to a point - but do feel that the series does at least question this narrative (from my thoughts anyways.) To me, I kinda feel like the series poses questions from different sides (Not always well, tbh) Like, for example XiShan doesn't care whether her bf is rich or has a car or whatever, but he's hung up on the fact that he thinks he to provide for her. 

And I totally agree there are a lot of cliched moments and lots of not-so-great writing.  

WRT  ZZ,  I agree, but also there's a part of me that kinda understands where she's coming from.  I mean he's been her idol since high school/college or whatever and she's lost in the fantasy of him, and she thinks she's in love with him.   

Deng Lun is the clichéd male lead with mommy issues & resentment toward his dad - what's new LoL? 

I disagree here.  Have you lost a parent or loved one?  It is unbelievable heartbreaking and life changing.  one of the worst things that can happen.  I think he's quite an interesting character, personally.  Though at first glance he's obnoxious and seemingly selfish, he's actually quite generous and kind.  And he does change slowly, into a far more respectful person (though I do have something to say about his chauvinistic side lol) 

The shallow issue for me is prevalent in China where I've read someplace a man 'sold' his gf just for an iPhone! If that's not materialistic/shallow, well Idk.. Or how the women are so into wearing designer logos on their chests or carrying bags with giant logos on them. So tacky & scream poseur to me. I know 'cause my neighbors are just like that. They were concerned on keeping up appearances until they couldn't anymore. 

I get what you're saying - but for me, I don't feel comfortable as a westerner/non Asian person to have any sort of comment on this.  It's really not my lane.  Though I guess I've also seen a lot of that too here in the west?  Like influencers for example - I remember recently watching a woman who streamed herself saying to her baby "oh I'm sad you don't have pretty eyes"  or something.  Idk, I don't understand it personally. 

6 hours ago, PChu said:

Hello all, 

I am new to this forum but am glad I found it so that I can read all your most riveting comments. Here are some of my opinions: 

Angelababy:
Yea read a lot abt her bad acting before this show but I must say that I did not find her too bad. Honestly, her big eyes and beautiful looks does not help her as I think we end up expecting more from someone who looks good on screen in the first place (ie one less barrier) hence perhaps we might all be a bit biased ? I have seen a cut of Deng Lun actually giving her acting tips on one of her really early scenes and to have that actually documented on youtube is really quite humbling so I'm inclined to cut her some slack. I must also really place blame on story, writing and direction. And seriously, can they not give her that same straight "I'm a nice girl" hair style which is so passe and really an oversell on her character as being naive. Can she not have more personal style(s) and still be a nice kind girl? 

I can't speak for others but I personally never assume if someone is a good actor just based on their looks alone because that is not a good expectation to have. How one looks on the outside is meaningless when it comes to acting abilities. I've only been aware of Angelababy by name (cuz honestly, that name is hard to miss) but this actually is the first show I've watched of hers so I came in with really no idea of her as an actress or a person. She's not horrible by any means, because I do appreciate when people are at least giving an effort to their role, but I would say she's on the weak side?  Again, this might also be because her two acting partners are very good at microexpressions so maybe in comparison, she doesn't seem as good? Or it might also be the weak script and direction as you've pointed out. 

I actually never watched any of Deng Lun's works before this either and I came away impressed even though, as you mentioned, his character's a bit of a cliche. I actually was interested the show because of Zhu Yilong, and yeah, I wish they gave him a better character. Since you're so much further than I am, it's really disappointing that nothing improves even 36 episodes out. That's so sad. Again, a waste of two talented male leads, and even Angelababy since she probably brought a lot of prestige to the show due to her fame. 

@bluesytb

Yes.. I lost both my parents actually:unsure: so yea I do know how painful it is..

I'm just stating the fact that Deng Lun has been playin' the same stereotypical role for awhile now. I've watched him now in 3 dramas :- Sweet Dreams, Because I Met You & this, My True Friend. He consistently plays this male protagonist with "issues" but turns over a new leaf upon meeting female lead. So predictable & cliche:rolleyes:

For purpose of discussion, I was just pointing out the whole shallowness/materialistic issue pertaining to most Asian dramas I've watched. As I'm asian too I see it all around me so it's true. And it's not exclusive to just Asia but elsewhere too I'm sure. 

8 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

@bluesytb

Yes.. I lost both my parents actually:unsure: so yea I do know how painful it is..

I'm just stating the fact that Deng Lun has been playin' the same stereotypical role for awhile now. I've watched him now in 3 dramas :- Sweet Dreams, Because I Met You & this, My True Friend. He consistently plays this male protagonist with "issues" but turns over a new leaf upon meeting female lead. So predictable & cliche:rolleyes:

For purpose of discussion, I was just pointing out the whole shallowness/materialistic issue pertaining to most Asian dramas I've watched. As I'm asian too I see it all around me so it's true. And it's not exclusive to just Asia but elsewhere too I'm sure. 

So sorry to hear of your loss. 

Totally agree with you on Deng's roles in the 3 dramas you mentioned and I do hope he has more choices available to expand his acting range as I would love to see that. 

Just watched episode 37 and 38 and I think it's beginning to be a bit better so there's hope yet ?

SPC is ‘going to’ marry Luo ans ZZ loks like happy to hear it! OMG .. I just want to smack her head. This gorgeus man is falling in love deeply with her and wants to do everything to her but she blind enogh not to see it!!

16 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

@bluesytb

I'm so, so sorry.  I apologize - I should not have assumed anything.

Idk, for me they feel like different characters, but I get where you're coming from. 

16 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Yes, I see - it's just not in my lane. 

Why is this thread so quiet? I m now hooked to this drama. Up to episode 30, i do not mind all the side stories and fully enjoying the main story.

I like both the male leads so much esp. ZYL. Knowing the flaws of his character here but i m still so attracted by his look, his eyes and his every little expression. :wub:

As for DL fans, if you find him in similar roles again, you can try watching him in Ode to Joy 2 and 15 years to Migratory Bird. He is more reserved in these drama but equally good. 

As for AB, nothing to shout about but acceptable and quite likeable here. 

I’m too am surprised by how quiet it is here.  i’m addicted to the series despite a script that leaves much to be desired.  But for me, its all about the OTP.  i simply love how playful XPC and ZZ's relationship is - from the early beginnings and throughout their journey as it deepens. Examples include -

• XPC making fun and chiding ZZ as his way of showing his deep affections.  While some may think this is childish, I think it highlights his boylike nature and a sense of purity still in his heart.  
  • ZZ respecting XPC for being able to remain calm and take control of the situation when Bai Ah-Yee needed emergency surgery.  And then afterwards finding him kicking a can as he waited for her.  Finally, she could see that he wasn’t just all fun and games.  He was also decisive and brave too.  And it was like her eyes opened and finally saw him.  

Anyways, would love to hear some opinions on the following: 

1. At what point do you think XPC “fell” for ZZ and why?  
  2. At what point do you think ZZ develops romantic feelings for XPC and why? 
  3. Do you think JR volunteered to be on XPC's Youth Project because he
  • Really wants to work on the project because he finds it to be meaningful
  • Wants to thank XPC for saving his mother
  • Is doing it all for ZZ, with hopes of being able to win her back.  

Hey Cdramafan, 

Thanks for posting some discussion questions. It's really fun. Will attempt to answer them: 

My take on the following: 

1. At what point do you think XPC “fell” for ZZ and why?  I think he was somewhat attracted to her when they first got acquainted but I think he really started to 'fall' for her even before they joined the agency cos he insisted that she was hired by Hua Yuan store in order that he will stay there. I think the moment he started interacting with her and making her responsible for finding his diary on his mum is when he already started liking her. I think he was attracted to her sense of righteousness and responsibility which I think he himself possesses as well as we see in later episodes. 
  2. At what point do you think ZZ develops romantic feelings for XPC and why? I think she started to really like PC when everyone started telling her how he is being so nice to her and how much he really cares for her and I think deep down she already has an attraction to PC but cos she was still with JR, she couldn't see her real feelings. Remember that when she first started dating JR, she never let him kiss her even though she seemed so smitten by him. I think she fully realise her feelings when she broke up with JR and then started to see PC's vulnerable and yet brave side through his ordeals with his dad's illness and how he also cared for her after her breakup with JR. Must add that his appreciation for the roadside wanton store was a huge plus to her on compatibility as JR totally flunked that 'test'. haha
  3. Do you think JR volunteered to be on XPC's Youth Project because he
  • Really wants to work on the project because he finds it to be meaningful
  • Wants to thank XPC for saving his mother
  • Is doing it all for ZZ, with hopes of being able to win her back.  

I think I vote for your first 2 options. Actually this part is a turning point for me in his character development and also the script. Remember all this time I always felt that his character as flashed out in the earlier episodes seem very 2D cos he was portrayed as only to care for his work but now finally we see him come alive and is a real human with some feeling, thought for others and aspiration to help others/society. He is definitely grateful to PC and ZZ and wants to help them. He also is someone of integrity as he has witnessed how the senior shareholders of love and family tried to oust PC and his dad out of the company. He has kept the 'unfair' play in mind and thus feels the need to help. I am glad that the scriptwriter finally found it fit to redeem his character and make him more likeable, relatable and mostly more warm and human. I am also glad that he has a generous heart and seems to not be portrayed as being jealous or even petty when working around ZZ and PC cos their chemistry and proximity is so close. So yes, the last few episodes are certainly more rewarding for those of us who has stuck around to see a better turning point. 

I must add that although a lot of the scenario's resolutions are overly positive and slightly unbelievable as much as I like happy endings; the stories are very realistic esp the 6 person rental case and also the parents with the poor kid who's made to study with no play. That part is a big plus to me but it is of course DL's acting and main character in this show that stands out and make me wanna really watch this till the end as I want to see his character succeed as for certain he will :) I guess I'm a sucker for cliche happy endings so long as the 'winners' include my fav actor ? hahaha. Glad we are nearly reaching that end but also sad that I'll no longer be able to see my fav actor daily. 

^ Love the discussion questions. Although I want to answer in full detail, time constraint does not permit me LOL.

But I agree with @PChu answers. SPC was instantaneously attracted to ZZ, and fell in love as soon as he got to know her. As for ZZ, I feel like she never really loved JR. She was in love with the idea of being with JR due to their history. And when she was finally able to let go of that idea, she finally saw SPC in a different light. JR is a good man overall. He was just not the right man for ZZ. Maybe he can be with LZE in the long run? LMAO

I am just so happy that after 44 episodes, we finally see the main OTP together in love. I would've love to see them get together in earlier episodes.. and have more cutesy moments while dealing with the ongoing issues as a couple. DL and Angelababy actually have romantic chemistry. I can't help but smile and feel giddy when they finally kissed (although I had issues with the super bright background lighthing... too bright! LOL).

With 3 more episodes to go, hope there are still more cute moments together for our OTP. :wub: Of course, I really want their project to be as successful as can be and actually see the other company fail.. I love cliche happy endings too.

As for Deng Lun, hopefully they air his other dramas soon.. and then film new dramas for the future. I don't want to run out of Deng Lun stock. :lol:

I’m glad that finally we get the kiss. Actually I can’t really see when ZZ start to realize her fellings for SPC because her expression still the same as before. Yes, she sees that SPC grown up and mature but sje juat smile and encaurage him just like she always did. So I’m a bit confusw though. Is it the script writing or directing that makes me feels ods. Nevertheles I love they finally and officialy going out now.

We're almost at the end and all these sweet scenes between XPC and ZZ are making me wish, darn it, why couldn't they have got together earlier so we could have more of THIS! (Ep. 47 and the kiss in the rain.  Seriously?  I can't even.  Cuteness overload) Deng Lun of course is a rockstar and I find him enjoyable as XPC.  But, I also happen to like Angelababy here too.  She may not win any awards, but I find her suitable for ZZ's role - she plays the sweet and kind girl well.  This is the first drama that I've seen with her in it, but unlike others' opinions of her, I thought she has some good chemistry with DL. Anyway, excited for our OTP to cross the finish line together!

Archived