[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Bloody Romance 媚者无疆

sugarplum892

On 8/30/2018 at 7:49 AM, rhaps said:

It think there should be some changes, like they've already changed the male lead's name. His name is not Chang An in the novel

The author should have focused on writing more stories , instead of adding too many erotic scenes :P

Yes, they should improve their editing, since it felt choppy sometimes. And I also hope the same thing about extending episodes for the sake of gaining profit, but forgeting the quality. Bloody Romance is fast-paced and straight-forward, although there are boring parts too. Still, I think it has a good quality and I wish to have the same one, or improved, in the sequel. Oh, I also wish they fix the costumes. Although the overall is nice (I particularly like Chang An and the Prince's costumes), but several ones looked 'meh', like one of the assasins costumes. 

Originally his name is no.three, which can also mean a person who intereferes with a couple, a very derogatory meaning, so... it is necessary to change his name. And he is not prince in the novel.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/14/2018 at 7:37 AM, scorpio1m said:

I actually wished the author kept Chang An as a common person. He already had a legitimate reason to seek revenge (the Xie family murders) and justice, there really was no need to give him a hidden identity as a prince. What I loved about BR is that it stayed focused on the love story and brought in very modern ideas like feminism & meritocracy in a very believable way.

Chang An always gave Wan Mei the room to make her own decisions.  One of my favorite lines was him telling her she can wait or not wait for him but he will come find her if he's still alive :heart::wub::heartbreak:

He is a common person in the novel but noble in spirit! Indeed, the newly added identity is not suitable for him. The author added it in order to increase his portion. However I can not see much difference. His scenes are still few in the last few episodes!

What BR attracts me is also its love story. Their pure love is the only light in that dark world and thus so precious and moving. But from the middle on, the story focuses on Gong Zi's revenge and dwells little on Chang An– Wan Mei, which is very frustrating! In the novel, Chang An is more resourceful, complicated as shown in his revenge plan, which is not fully elaborated in the drama and weakens his charisma.

Sigh...

On 9/14/2018 at 11:02 AM, rhaps said:

I also prefer him as a common guy. Perhaps the writers wanted to give him more conflicts, so they gave him a birth secret. Then again, it seemed that they didnt have time and budget to explore his story more. I read in other forum that they should have a scene of him leading his army, but the idea was shut down because it needed a lot of extras, while they only had small budget. Too bad, though.

I love that lines too, btw :wub:

Just speculations, so far. Fans have been asking for one, though. Let's just hope that there'll be news about it soon

They indeed are running out of budget in the end and cut some scenes. But the major problem lies in  the script. The writer has expanded too much on Gong Zi 's line. So some of the scenes where Chang An and Xie Ying busied in their cause are cut to preserve Gong Zi's story as they have to make no more than 36 episodes. On top of that thet are running out of time.. The director said it could have been better if they had 20 more days. But they did not plan well. They spent a month shooting the first 4 episodes....

The producer and director said they intend to make season 2. They made success in the production and might want to earn more profit. But I doubt if LI Yitong and Qu Chuxiao will join in. They will have more chances and better quality dramas to shoot, so it is not very likely that they will do. Also, if the season 2 continues to give lriority to Gong Zi, I would rather they do not join in. But I still long to see their cooperation in another drama!! They sais they want to cooperate with each other one more time:)

On 8/30/2018 at 9:36 AM, Jackie1048 said:

In the end, Cha Luo sounded like a frustrated spinster with her desire there is death to all lovers.

Hah! Prince Ning finally have to hear from Wan Mei herself why she will never choose him. She said that she always felt that Prince Ning see her as a chess piece for his use because Prince Ning told her to get Gui Hua City so that he can return to it one day. His deal with his Emperor brother to give up Gui Hua City for the Generalship. Prince Ning asked why Chang An is different in her eyes when he is doing the same thing as he is (securing a kingship). Wan Mei said that Chang had never forced her to do anything and will have her on his mind in every consideration. Therefore, Chang An out beat Prince Ning for her affections. Another stunned look from Prince Ning. Lastly, Wan Mei said her decision to stay at Gui Hua City and take over the leadership is not for Prince Ning's sake but she did not want the women to suffered under Cha Luo's hands.

Xing Feng removed the Blood Gu from Wan Mei therefore her inner strength is greatly reduced. Although Xing Feng did it so she will not be seen as a threat to Cha Luo but Cha Luo did not fall for it. That is why Chang An donated his inner strength to Wan Mei to defeat Cha Luo. He told her that she was the woman he loved and who he will give up his life for. He told her to stay alive and forbid her to take poison as it was her earlier plan. Chang An told her never turn herself to be another Cha Luo as she is always be Wan Mei (perfect).

Based on what I have seen so far, there is a few unfinished business. There was that talk between Prince Ning and Chang An on joining forces to defeat the Liang dynasty. I think it is probably the second time the two men showed their qualification on who is the better man. When Prince Ning told Chang An that he won their fight before and that Chang An said he did not put his best effort in that fight.

I must say Chang An practiced great restraint with Wan Mei. He is so proper ... why he did not kiss her? Season 2 a kiss is a must.

Emperor brother asked for Yue Ying to be at his side and enter his inner palace. Stupid man just "hired" his brother's spy to his side. Yue Ying probably though she is doing Prince Ning a big favour.

I wander whether Prince Ning entering back into that cave of his is to revive Chang An. That pool of blood gu thingy maybe can do such a thing.

hahaha We all are dying for a kiss! Since the novem is too erotic, the author avoided any erotic things in the drama. She also felt regretful for this.

On 9/13/2018 at 9:53 PM, rhaps said:

Thank youu!

I've been dying to talk about this drama *lol*. I've watched the raws until the end, then rewatching from the beginning with english subs. It indeed has flaws, some stories are not explored deeply enough. Still, I think that it's a very good show. For a low budget drama with mostly new/unknown casts, I think it's achievements (no of viewers, being sold to foreign countries) are pretty good, isnt it? Please cmiiw. Plus, fans have been asking about the sequel.

You know what, I've been reading the weibo using google chrome, so it is auto-translated to English. I kept on reading them saying 'Goodnight couple', and I've been wondering whether it was translation error. So now I know what that means :P . Thanks! Yeah, I really love Chang An - Wan Mei. If only they had more episodes *lol*. I want to see them more, and I think that Chang An's story is not explored well. 

Yeah I know, I've read spoilers here and there *lol*. 

Btw, where did the author write the happy stories ?? Do you have the link?? Oh I hope I can read them. Thanks a lot!

So am I ! The show has finished now and I don't want it to end!! I'll be more than happy to talk about the drama with other fans. Can't agree more! 

That's interesting! I was wondering the accuracy of Google translation xx. Their interactions are far too few!! Many fans, including me are yearning for more scenes of them. Yes! Chang An's story should be expanded. Gong Zi's story accounts for too much portion. That's a shame.

And some make amazing cuts from other dramas they starred. Have a look and you will definitely love it! https://www.bilibili.com/video/av30715235

As for the happy stories, they are written in Chinese and in the form of picture. But the author has deleted the weibo. I have saved the picture. Can you read? I'll try and translate for you guys. Here are two other stories written by the author: https://www.weibo.com/1940885260/GxNBash1C?type=comment#_rnd1536981713481

Hope that helps!

1 hour ago, rhaps said:

That's too bad. I think fans also realize that there are a lot of things to be improved, like the editing and Chang An's plot. Perhaps if they could do this better, it could get higher rating in Douban. 

Is Season 2 confirmed? It's something that fans have been expecting, but without Li Yitong and Qu Chuxiao, then there's no use to make a sequel at all. Seriously. The drama ends with mysteries over Chang An and how strong the love between him and Wan Mei, so of course people expect to see them next. It's better to wait until they are available before making one. IMHO, the strength of this drama lies on the 3 main leads, so they all have to appear together in the sequel

It was higher on Douban. But the weakened plot from the middle has harmed the score. 

No, it has not been confirmed yet. Someone has messaged the director on Weibo, who responded that they will definitely invest a lot of energy and effort to make a sequel. But I’m not certain of the creduality… (the speaker might have lied). I agree with you. I think they will try to keep the same cast but it is not that easy. Even without the three main leads, they will make a sequel regardless of objections from fans. Two years ago I was addicted to Remembering Lichuan. The couple had intense chemistry! Many fans as well as the team(the director, the producer, the main leads) asked for a sequel, since the ending was similarly “open” and sad. But the main leads, for some reason, could not join in (their time cannot fit in). The drama was also adapted by the same author from her novel. She wrote the sequel. But the cast has all been changed. Recently the sequel has been on but fans are all angry and unwilling to watch it. It is weird. It’s better not to have sequel than to have one with different cast. Yes!! They have to appear or I won’t watch it!

I really hate these open endings but at least BR's isn't as bad as Princess Agents'. I'm not sure why the scriptwriters and producers take this gamble. Why make only a partial story, hope that it will be well received, then try to figure out how to get the entire cast back together hopefully some time in the future (if ever). That's just crazy and unsatisfying to the fans! 

The Eternal Love (with Xing Zhaolin, not Ten MIles...) successfully managed to get their cast back together for the sequel and very quickly too. I think it was bc the cast was young and relatively unknown and not A-List type actors....hopefully BR can make it happen too. The scriptwriters owes Chang An a better storyline and the audience at least a KISS!! :P

BTW, where did everyone watch the series? I watched on YouTube w English subs but they weren't that great, some translations were totally wrong or in slang (so funny). Viki will be showing BR starting October 4th and I plan to rewatch with better quality subs. It's free just FYI to all. I cannot let go of BR yet :D

On 9/16/2018 at 3:25 PM, rhaps said:

Thanks a lot!!

I wonder how is BR doing in China? I heard that it has > 2 billion viewers, so I supposed it's doing pretty good?

Google translation is ..well..you have to use your imagination to understand *LOL*. It's quite helpful, though ..and it's better than nothing, hahaha

Awww..that's too bad. 

For the sequel, they have a lot of things to do. Most importantly are to gather the casts and to make a good storyline, because the novel hasnt finished. They should require quite sometime to do that, coz I heard that they need 3 years to write the script of BR (is that true?) . If it's true, then, does that mean we will have a sequel in at at most 3 yrs from now? *lol*. Well, it's better than never..although it's too long :p 

Yes, I agree that the plot is weaker from the middle. That's why the main leads are crucial for the sequel, coz their strong acting helped to keep the viewers continued watching. 

There are many dramas in the same period, for summer holiday is a very good period to attract lots of students. Story of Yanxi Palace is the most popular one. Almost all my friends were watching it and it has aroused heated discussion throughout the holiday. Even though those who didn’t watch it knows what happened. It had over 10 billion viewers. Then Ashes of Love is another popular drama. BR doesn’t have famous actors, nor has it been advertised well. So compared to others, it does not have many viewers. But it has earned good reputation, which, however, slides a little from the middle. It is a shame that such a good drama does not win more audience. But I thank myself that I clicked on it and watched it! But still, the record of 2 billion viewers is not bad. I can tell that the producers, directors are satisfied and have profited from the production. They care more for reputation than statistics.

Yeah! The most important thing is to make a good story. Yes, the writer spent 3 years revising the script, since, you know, there are many restrictions (like, the main characters must be kind, can not kill others too much…). I would love to wait, if they could produce high-quality sequel. Like we are all waiting for Sherlock. But if they change the cast, I might probably want to “kill” them!!

Yeah, it is the acting that keep me watching.

20 hours ago, scorpio1m said:

I really hate these open endings but at least BR's isn't as bad as Princess Agents'. I'm not sure why the scriptwriters and producers take this gamble. Why make only a partial story, hope that it will be well received, then try to figure out how to get the entire cast back together hopefully some time in the future (if ever). That's just crazy and unsatisfying to the fans! 

The Eternal Love (with Xing Zhaolin, not Ten MIles...) successfully managed to get their cast back together for the sequel and very quickly too. I think it was bc the cast was young and relatively unknown and not A-List type actors....hopefully BR can make it happen too. The scriptwriters owes Chang An a better storyline and the audience at least a KISS!! :P

But the main leads are more known now. They might prefer other dramas that can profit them more. Li Yitong actually is not new. She lowered her price in order to act in the drama. So I think if the story is good, they might probably join in!

The scriptwriter also feels regretful that she didn’t write a kiss scene! And she said if she could, she would give them a kiss! I hope she will do so in the sequel hahaha.

14 hours ago, rhaps said:

I heard that the novel consisted of 2 parts. The 1st part ended the same as the drama, while the 2nd part had not finished (it seemed that the author didnt intend to finish it?). I wonder whether that's the reason why BR had an open ending, because they followed the 1st part of the novel and found it hard to finish the story. 

Yeah, I also expect Chang An to have a better storyline later. I wonder whether his story is better in the novel. He should focus on his revenge plan toward Chan Luo there.

I've been watching from youtube and other site, but it seems that site uses the same subtitle. Yes, I'm also planning to rewatch it when it is aired on viiki *lol*. I do feel thankful for the current english subs. I can still enjoy the story, although the detail is sometimes off

The author only wrote the 1st part while the 2nd part was added by others and not recognized by her. Many readers hoped she could finish the story in the drama, but she kept the original ending…… Since she thought a explicit happy ending does not fit the melancholy tone of the drama, she set an implicit happy ending. And I guess this is also because that will leave room for a sequel.

I read that the original script went that he arranged everything well before he went back to Guihua City to save Wan Mei. But it was cut and changed because of the limited budget and time. The novel shows his revenge plan. Like, he designed to alienate the relationship between Liu Guang and Cha Luo in order to weaken the latter’s might.

2 hours ago, rhaps said:

Me too, especially the part of Wan Mei - Chang An being together :wub: . And I also want to see Chang An's arc vs Gong Zhi, and Yue Ying. Oh I like Yue Ying. I want to see her having a good ending too

I heard that Yanxi has a lot bigger budget than BR. Ashes of Love has well-known leads and a romance theme that is usually loved by many viewers. OTOH, BR is dark and serious. The main guys are unknown, and the budget is low too. Personally, I think that it doesnt look like a drama that will gain a good reputation.

I'm happy if the producers and directors are happy with the result, and it is profitable too. I hope that's a good sign for a sequel :D

Anyway, what's this condition about the leads have to be kind etc2? Personally, I prefer my leads to be kind..but I dont know that there are restrictions like that.

Oh, the acting is great! The 3 main leads are all good, and I particularly love Qu Chuxiao the best.  I always like it when an actor can act quite and calm without being stiff. Chang An is just quiet and calm and cool and ..frustrating because of his not-saying things *LOL*. Still, I watched Rule the World just for his parts :lol:

I think that the producers must increase their salary in the sequel. Personally, I think the producers would wait to see more reaction from the foreign countries. If the response is also good, then they would prepare for the sequel. If the reputation and the story are good, plus the salary increase, then I also believe that the leads will agree to film the sequel.

Ohh, so the 2nd part is a fanfic. I see . Thankfully, the author herself had confirmed about Chang An's ending

Otherwise, I wont rewatch it again :P

Regarding Liu Guang :

Hide contents

In the drama, isnt it Gong Zhi who made Liu Guang and Cha Luo fought? So it should be Chang An instead??? Is that because of that restriction that the leads should be kind?

Yes, but Yanxi also spent a lot on costume, setting, props instead of on expensive actors. BR should have more advertising! Actually Li Yitong is not unknown. She acted The Legend of the Condor Heroes. And the producer is famous.

Yeah, just that not sure whether they can gather the cast…

The censorship is very strict. That’s why Wan Mei couldn’t kill in the first few missions. Actually she hardly killed anyone in the drama. It is not allowed to set the main leads as cold-hearted killer.

Me tooooo! I love QU best! I particularly love his voice! I wish the author could written more dialogue for him! She responded that she should let him say more… I love to hear him speaking!

Oh, he also acted My Fair Lady. But… I don’t like the leading female role so…

Check out Besides Love Of The Imperial Marriage! He played a part. But his part hasn’t come out.

They should have more budget in the sequel given that the drama is a success. I think it is also a good idea to shoot a movie! Although it is sold to 13 countries… is it popular? How is it received in foreign countries?

Yes, in the drama, it is Gong Zi whereas in the novel, it is Chang An. I suppose it is because in the drama, Chang An has closer relationship with Liu Guang than in the novel. I mean, he also wants to help her, although his help is also for assisting Wan Mei.

5 hours ago, rhaps said:

I see, so that's why she becomes very kind in the drama. If her character is changed, then Chang An should change too, in order to fit into her characters.

I guess everyone loves his voice *LOL*. I'm fine with him not speaking much,  but they just have to give him a better story. I wonder, does the author say anything about his downgrading plot in the 2nd half?

I cant watch My Fair Lady coz there's no sub, but I checked some clips and I dont think his character is special there. And his next drama, do you mean Ruyi? I've been waiting for his parts too *LOL*. 

Yes, I've heard that there's also an idea to make the sequel as a movie. It is a lot shorter and easier to make a plot, while it's also easier to gather all the casts back. Then again, I prefer a drama coz it has more episodes and I can have more of them. Well, in the end, it's better to have a sequel instead of none...so if they can only make a movie, what can I say.

I dunno why they give Liu Guang a closer relationship w Chang An in the drama. Is she more evil in the novel? I dont hate her in the drama, coz I dont think that she is evil (despite she is trying to seduce Chang An, sigh). Still, I think she still have a heart. Anyway, I dont mind if the writers give this part (making Liu Gang going against Cha Luo) to Gong Zhi, but they should have give Chang An another plot . I guess they made him looking for that No-Word Edict, instead.

Anyway, I think all the assasins have a sad background / live that make me doesnt hate them that much. I dont even hate Cha Luo. In fact, I like her story and Xing Feng. They make a nice sad pair, and Xing Feng's feeling toward her in the end is really touching

She admitted that it was her fault and should have given him a better story.

I also checked some clips but I was not interested in the story. But still, he acted well there. Yeah, Ruyi :)

I prefer a drama too! But I just worry that they will add unnecessary scenes to extend the drama, or expand too much on Gong Zi and other minor characters. And a movie is more condensed. They will gain more popular through movies as well!

Actually I didn’t read carefully the novel because… you know… lol. She has few scenes in the novel. Hahaha I think that is a trial. She wants to test whether Chang An can resist temptation. I like her since she is pathetic. Yeah, the No-Word Edict part should be expanded.

I’m moved by Xing Feng! Cha Luo… She killed my Chang An!!

3 hours ago, rhaps said:

Thanks!

I read other forums and some people expressed the same worries. Yes, now is the days when dramas have a lot of episodes, in order to have more profit (pls cmiiw). They usually end up inserting fillers or unnecessary (romance?) stories of the supporting leads , and that could ruin the enjoyment of watching the drama as a whole. I also dont wish BR sequel to be like that. Better they make a movie, if they cant come up with a good plot. Still, can I have at least 15-20 episodes of drama series? It's better than just a 2-3 hours movie 

I understand *LOL*. I tried to read the novel while skipping the parts, then I became confused because I couldnt follow the story *LOL - I skipped too many*

Well, it's a trial and I think Liu Gang also liked Chang An too. I found it amusing when Cha Luo asked her why she defended him (epi 6), and she just casually said that 'he is handsome'. LOL ..Even Cha Luo could only laugh. 

Hahaha..Cha Luo was annoying but fun to watch *LOL*. I blame that to the actress. She acted well..although sometimes a bit too comical. But her relationship with Xing Feng is also interesting, because she is tortured and crazy while Xing Feng is loyal, but still has a heart. 

What other forums? A virtual voyage? 36 episodes is the shortest one in this summer. Many have 60, 70, 85…… It is okay if the story is well-delivered. But most of them insert fillers or expand the minor characters and the second main leads. 15-20 is a suitable length! But C-drama tend to be at least 30… which is annoying. In this sense, BR is not like the others. Since it is expensive to have those stars, they try to extend a drama to earn more money.  

Me too… I skipped too much so I couldn’t understand well. But many fans say Chang An is much more charming and ‘round’ in the novel.

Hahaha I think she liked his loyalty, not him. But it’s hard to tell. I feel like that is not the true reason. She knows such an answer will persuade Cha Luo.

I wish the author depicted Cha Luo more mysterious and complicated. Yes, she can be wicked. But I hope as a character she has other aspects.

On 9/19/2018 at 8:54 AM, rhaps said:

I think it was in Mydramalist, but it should bu buried somewhere in the older posts.

I'm still okay with a series of 30 episodes. But if it is more than that, then it should have a solid story. Yes, most C dramas has too many fillers. 

I actually wish Liu Guang had more scenes. She seemed to be an interesting character, but she didnt get too many parts here. And I like Cha Luo's background story, which is connected to Chang An's. Too bad they didnt explore that more. They have such good materials already

I think it was in Mydramalist, but it should bu buried somewhere in the older posts.

I'm still okay with a series of 30 episodes. But if it is more than that, then it should have a solid story. Yes, most C dramas has too many fillers. 

I actually wish Liu Guang had more scenes. She seemed to be an interesting character, but she didnt get too many parts here. And I like Cha Luo's background story, which is connected to Chang An's. Too bad they didnt explore that more. They have such good materials already

The author wrote a stand-alone short story for Liu Guang. But I agree with you! I wish she had more stories. Like her story with Yan Liu. And in the drama, some scenes of she and her slave Shi Yi have been cut. A lot of scenes of minor characters have been cut, unfortunately…

I'm a long time lurker to the forum, but hadn't been compelled to make an account so I can take part in a discussion, but Bloody Romance changed that! :D This is not the most active thread, but heck I'm excited to find another venue to talk about this drama! Thank you @Rebecca Zhang for the insights from the native speaker perspective. Like perhaps most here, I don't speak Chinese. It never stops me from watching Chinese dramas in raw though, especially if I really like it, or I really like the actors. 

I agree with you and @rhaps that Chang An's story needs to be more elaborated. We don't know much about his background. He is an introvert and quiet character, so he doesn't tell much about himself to Wan Mei, unlike Gongzi (the drunk rant and some other occasions). There's gotta be other avenues for the writers to do it. But this is something that I find many scriptwriters of Cdramas often do: they tend to flesh out secondary characters or the villain characters more than the lead roles, especially if the lead roles are the love interests. As if viewers will take it for granted that since a character is a leading character and the love interest of the other leading characters, he/she will get the viewers support whatsoever. No wonder second lead syndromme is quite rampant. I admit that in my Cdrama viewing, most often than not I get SLS. Bloody Romance is one of the few where I'm on the right track ;), and that's because Chang An from the start has been written as treating Wan Mei right, respecting her but is also someone with dignity (his response to Wan Mei in the earlier episodes when Wan Mei compares him to Wan Xiang's shadow who's totally obedient). That said, I can't blame many viewers who ship Wan Mei with Gongzi. While Wang Duo's prettiness may have been a major factor, but I think it's also because his character is very well written compared to Chang An's, and even Wan Mei's. 

On 9/23/2018 at 8:28 PM, rhaps said:

Hi there!

Yeah, BR is already over, but I'm still having withdrawals. Usually, with this kind of ending, I would stop rewatching a drama or discussing is because the ending ruined everything. Then again, BR is different, since there is a hope there for a better future. Plus, despite the flaws in the story, this drama is still good. It has a right balance of romance and non romance, and some couples in the story have a sad touching one.  I also dont care about no kisses :P . The way Chang An - Wan Mei hugging and looked at each other, or when Chang An ran toward Wan Mei before hugging her tightly,  and Wan Mei is crying in Chang An's embrace, are touching enough. 

Hiiiii!!!!!

Yeah, BR is one of a kind! It's a period love story, but for some reason it feels very wuxia-ish to me, which I love! Wuxia is actually my preferred genre (I'm kinda prudish in this regard. I'm often annoyed by people who can't tell wuxia apart from xian xia or merely period dramas. Many tend to lump all them together into "wuxia" or the so-called "historical". But it's just me, and it's only dramas anyway, so just forget my rants lol).

I like the no kissing too! It feels totally in line with the fact that it takes place in an ancient time. I never really get the kissing scenes in period dramas. I can tolerate them in xian xias, because, well, fantasy. And I agree with you, the way Wan Mei and Chang An interacts with each other are full of emotions only blinds can't see their love. (And even a blind Gongzi can tell Wan Mei loves Chang An,  Iolololol). I personally think it takes good acting skills to make actions speak louder than words -- although good scriptwriting and direction play an important role too. 

It's too bad, since the writers have a good materials for Chang An but failed to deliver them. Chang An is a smart and calculative character, but we dont get to see that much in the story. You're right about "As if viewers will take it for granted that since a character is a leading character and the love interest of the other leading characters, he/she will get the viewers support whatsoever".  The saving grace of Chang An's character is the great acting and charisma of Qu Chuxiao. If he was acted by a different actor, then he would be bland . I think Qu Chuxiao has done a very good job

Qu Chuxiao is very impressive. He successfully delivers subtle emotions -- it's all in his expressive eyes, lips micro movements, hand gestures. He's not conventionally good looking, but he becomes attractive with his acting -- I agree, great charisma. 

I wouldn't call Chang An "calculative", but he has good instincts. He's very intelligent and observant, but he was not experienced as a strategist yet. I'm sure the Xie family intended to groom him into a leader, unfortunately he was very young when the whole clan was slaughtered. The Xies are actually political, as you can see from Ruan Niang. 

And, In my case, Gong Zhi's in-depth writing does not make me ship Wan Mei and him for obvious reasons :P If people ask me who my favourite characters are, then I'll say they are Wan Mei, Chang An, and Gong Zhi . But in term of fave couple, it is deffinitely Wan Mei and Chang An.

Gong Zhi is someone whom I like to see in dramas / movies for his interesting story and brilliance. It's wonderful to see him making those plans and arranges people to make them come true. And it's heart-wrenching to see his arc and sad past. But I dont think he is someone who wants to protect Wan Mei with all his might. Like the part when he sent a letter in blood to Chang An, when he made advances to her, or when he was questioning why Chang An would do everything for her, those made me feel even sure that Wan Mei just had to choose Chang An over him. 

Gongzi is actually my favorite character in the drama for the exact reasons you mentioned above: highly intelligent, well educated, highly skilled in martial arts, cunning, strategic. Even if the role had not been played by someone as good looking as Wang Duo (who also happens to be a pretty good actor), I would've probably rooted for him too. But he's not one for Wan Mei because, well, they are not on the same wavelength. I've read comments in various forums (YT is the worst) that Wan Mei and Gongzi are more suitable because they are more equal, he's beautiful, he has sacrificed for Wan Mei, etc etc etc. And I was very puzzled because... whoa? You can force love out of indebtedness? As if Wan Mei is OBLIGED to love him back. As good as a character reader he is, Gongzi never really understands why Wan Mei can't reciprocate his feelings, even with Chang An being out of the picture. And that to me speaks volume about his little understanding of her. Chang An, on the other hand, totally understands Wan Mei. That's why he's also willing to set her free if she's not happy with him, but will be the first to arrive when she needs help. He's also become her conscience, stops her from doing things that she may regret in the future. 

On 9/23/2018 at 4:28 PM, rhaps said:

Hi there!

Yeah, BR is already over, but I'm still having withdrawals. Usually, with this kind of ending, I would stop rewatching a drama or discussing is because the ending ruined everything. Then again, BR is different, since there is a hope there for a better future. Plus, despite the flaws in the story, this drama is still good. It has a right balance of romance and non romance, and some couples in the story have a sad touching one.  I also dont care about no kisses :P . The way Chang An - Wan Mei hugging and looked at each other, or when Chang An ran toward Wan Mei before hugging her tightly,  and Wan Mei is crying in Chang An's embrace, are touching enough. 

Besides Chang An - Wan Mei, I also love the story of Cha Luo - Xing Feng. Cha Luo's pasts are intriguing. She and Xin Feng's dynamic are like the evil version of Wan Mei - Chang An. I love how Xin Feng has been trying to stay in the 'right' path while still being loyal to her. 

It's too bad, since the writers have a good materials for Chang An but failed to deliver them. Chang An is a smart and calculative character, but we dont get to see that much in the story. You're right about "As if viewers will take it for granted that since a character is a leading character and the love interest of the other leading characters, he/she will get the viewers support whatsoever".  The saving grace of Chang An's character is the great acting and charisma of Qu Chuxiao. If he was acted by a different actor, then he would be bland . I think Qu Chuxiao has done a very good job. 

And, In my case, Gong Zhi's in-depth writing does not make me ship Wan Mei and him for obvious reasons :P If people ask me who my favourite characters are, then I'll say they are Wan Mei, Chang An, and Gong Zhi . But in term of fave couple, it is deffinitely Wan Mei and Chang An.

Gong Zhi is someone whom I like to see in dramas / movies for his interesting story and brilliance. It's wonderful to see him making those plans and arranges people to make them come true. And it's heart-wrenching to see his arc and sad past. But I dont think he is someone who wants to protect Wan Mei with all his might. Like the part when he sent a letter in blood to Chang An, when he made advances to her, or when he was questioning why Chang An would do everything for her, those made me feel even sure that Wan Mei just had to choose Chang An over him. 

OTOH, Chang An is someone whom I'd like to see in dramas and meet in person. Seriously, where can you get a guy like that, who is willing to protect you without expecting anything in return, respecting you and doesnt force you to do what you dont want to do? And what's even better is he is not perfect. He lacks communications, frustrating, and fails too sometimes. Those imperfections just make him more realistic, IMHO, and make me wish to meet him in real life *LOL* . 

Sorry, is her slave Shi Yi the guy that she loved? I remember that she once told Chang An about some guy that she liked / loved.

The guy she told Chang An is called Yan Liu. Shi Yi is her last slave. I don't think she loves Shi Yi.

I find that I am influenced by you guys. Now I am totally fine with no kisses lol. I've watched some kiss scenes of Ashes of Love, which I found quite weird... And I do agree that their hugging is touching and expressive of their intense love!!

11 hours ago, caranita said:

Hiiiii!!!!!

Yeah, BR is one of a kind! It's a period love story, but for some reason it feels very wuxia-ish to me, which I love! Wuxia is actually my preferred genre (I'm kinda prudish in this regard. I'm often annoyed by people who can't tell wuxia apart from xian xia or merely period dramas. Many tend to lump all them together into "wuxia" or the so-called "historical". But it's just me, and it's only dramas anyway, so just forget my rants lol).

I like the no kissing too! It feels totally in line with the fact that it takes place in an ancient time. I never really get the kissing scenes in period dramas. I can tolerate them in xian xias, because, well, fantasy. And I agree with you, the way Wan Mei and Chang An interacts with each other are full of emotions only blinds can't see their love. (And even a blind Gongzi can tell Wan Mei loves Chang An,  Iolololol). I personally think it takes good acting skills to make actions speak louder than words -- although good scriptwriting and direction play an important role too. 

Qu Chuxiao is very impressive. He successfully delivers subtle emotions -- it's all in his expressive eyes, lips micro movements, hand gestures. He's not conventionally good looking, but he becomes attractive with his acting -- I agree, great charisma. 

I wouldn't call Chang An "calculative", but he has good instincts. He's very intelligent and observant, but he was not experienced as a strategist yet. I'm sure the Xie family intended to groom him into a leader, unfortunately he was very young when the whole clan was slaughtered. The Xies are actually political, as you can see from Ruan Niang. 

Gongzi is actually my favorite character in the drama for the exact reasons you mentioned above: highly intelligent, well educated, highly skilled in martial arts, cunning, strategic. Even if the role had not been played by someone as good looking as Wang Duo (who also happens to be a pretty good actor), I would've probably rooted for him too. But he's not one for Wan Mei because, well, they are not on the same wavelength. I've read comments in various forums (YT is the worst) that Wan Mei and Gongzi are more suitable because they are more equal, he's beautiful, he has sacrificed for Wan Mei, etc etc etc. And I was very puzzled because... whoa? You can force love out of indebtedness? As if Wan Mei is OBLIGED to love him back. As good as a character reader he is, Gongzi never really understands why Wan Mei can't reciprocate his feelings, even with Chang An being out of the picture. And that to me speaks volume about his little understanding of her. Chang An, on the other hand, totally understands Wan Mei. That's why he's also willing to set her free if she's not happy with him, but will be the first to arrive when she needs help. He's also become her conscience, stops her from doing things that she may regret in the future. 

Hi!!! Glad that you join in our discussion!!

I think he knows how to use those calculations, but he seldom uses them unless necessary, especially in issues related to Wan Mei. This is so precious! He intends to make revenge, so he needs to carry out his plan, to know Cha Luo, and find opportunities to defeat her. He tells Liu Guang the fact that Cha Luo is weakened by witchcraft in order to use her to weaken Cha Luo. And in the final scene, he makes a debt with Xing Feng. These are all his strategies, but he doesn’t want to involve Wan Mei in his plan, whereas Gong Zi constantly takes advantage of Wan Mei.

Exactly!! Only Chang An really understands Wan Mei. And they share a same wish: they don’t want to be leader; all they want is live a simple life with each other.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe that I didn't find this drama until now!! :angry:I wish I  found it sooner, it's so evenly paced and has a unique approach to telling the story that pulls at your heartstrings.:wub: I loved how they humanized Wan Mei by showing her inner turmoil with being an assassin and how it affects the people around her.  The reveal of her shadows true identity was a big curveball that I did not see coming and neither did he:P  I loved watching prince niang showed his sadness, pain and anger while he was being forced to torture her,  that scene was beautifully done.  He showed her his emotions while their enemy looked on thinking he was into it ! I'm on episode 20... must keep watching :huh:

Does anyone know who sings the opening song and its title?

that song draws you in:phew: It's so emotional:tears:

Archived