[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Bloody Romance 媚者无疆

sugarplum892

On 8/29/2018 at 2:05 PM, enigmatic_zephy said:
  Hide contents

10 miles - i opened the poster, male lead doesn't look appealing.. lol yea shallow me.. does he grow on you over the course of drama..? (looks wise)

which one would you say is must go for super intense.. the first one :) .. it could be possessiveness, slap kiss genre whatever... as long as it is intense.. or good old deep in love but separated (but intense)

The ML absolutely grows on you in 10 miles. He's an actor that looks way better in motion than in pictures.

All three dramas have MLs that are so intensely in love with the FL that they can give up everything for them and they will do absolutely anything to protect them and to get them back when they lose them. All three are a must-watch in my opinion.

1- Wuji in Fuyao is uber powerful, super intelligent and manipulative and goes all out to create a world in which he can live with Fuyao. Despite everything being against them, he's ready to fight to the death for her. ML actor acts so raw in some emotional scenes that it makes the romance even more believable.

2- Xu Feng in Ashes is so head over heels in love with Jin Mi that even her hurting him as badly as anyone can hurt a person does not stop him from wanting her. This is one super angsty ride despite the seemingly fluffy beginning.

3- Ye Hua in 10 miles is so utterly devoted to Qian Qian that he spends 300 years trying to revive her when he believes she is dead. She's his whole world and he uses all his power and intelligence to try and protect her.

Sorry I couldn't help you choose !

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ending spoiler etc.. from dramalist.

Spoiler
    • This is the ULTIMATE spoiler, the ending in a 3:33 min 1080p video,
      fully English-subbed including the hidden message.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj91491ByM8
      I strongly recommend people not to watch this unless you have:
      1. Already watched all 36 episodes before hand
      2. Still have unanswered question about the ending after (1)

I'm not a fan of wuxia dramas (mainly because of the stunts and all of those flying/acrobatics) but started to give it a try with Bloody Romance then baam! All of a sudden, i'm totally hooked! Not to mention the great cast, plot and overall aesthetics.

I'm already at ep 20 and I watch at Youtube. And as you know, the CC there tends to skip some dialogues and such that made the story hard to follow/understand. I'm not new to chinese dramas (though I prefer watching modern ones) but to try to understand the lacking parts is hard. :(

So please can someone clarify these to me:

1. Prince Ning is the current emperor's half brother but resides to the Guihua city. Is the emperor knew that Prince Ning is a son of a concubine or not?

2. Was Prince Ning the son of Lanhe and the emperor's advisor? 

3. What's the purpose of the Blood Lotus group? Who is the Dingsha group? Is Lanhe included in the former or the latter?

4. Was Prince Ning's grandmother was sacrificed to Blood Lotus group? How about his mother Lanhe?

5. Who is the kungfu master? What's his relation with Prince Ning?

6. GUIHUA City is not magical right? Like it is a normal city with just assassins? Because i'm confused when Chang'an told Wanmei to swimmer deeper until she reached the different current in the lake which can make her leave the city. If it is magical and only assassins can enter, why does the kungfu master can enter it (when he's asking for clarification regarding the salt smuggler's death)?

7. Is Yueying a juesha(?) an assassin next to deisha(?) or is she a Chawu level?

8. Is Wan xiang already a deisha when she first encountered Wanmei or not yet? Because I remember her telling Wanmei that if Not for her, she can kill the general. But why does Liuguang (Puff) went to kill the general instead of Wan xiang if it was intended as a task?

9. Xifeng is Chalou's shadow right? But i thought having an intimate relationship with a shadow is a felony?

10. Who's born earlier Prince Ning or Chang'an? 

11. I don't know why everyone tell that Chang'an is the rightful owner of the throne. What is his lineage? Isn't Prince Ning's "father" the former emperor? Did he just die?

12. What is Princess Taiping's lineage?

13. In ep 18 (?) it is said that Lanhe needs to find the "stone without written letters". WHY???

14. Is it correct: Tingsha/Tinsha (Chawu) > Juesha (Yueying, Liuguang) > Deisha ( Wanmei, Wanxiang)

15. What is the punishment for the greatest crime in Guihua as discussed by Chang'an?

@jeppblackman

I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.

1. Not too sure, but Prince Ning addressed as the older brother, so I assume the emperor does know.

Spoiler

2. Spoiler alert! (If you didn't watch episode 32 or 33 yet) You can safely assume they are.

3. Don't know (sorry)

4. His mother was sacrificed to the Blood Lotus, but his grandmother was in the Xuanji Palace (if you remember that)

5. No relation

6. I don't think it is magical. It probably has tunnels in the lakes that go to rivers.

7. Yes she is a Juesha. I believe the rankings from lowest to highest are Disha, Tiansha, Juesha, Chief. The higher the rank you are, the less people there are.

8. Wan Xiang is not yet. It was probably her mission to become Disha before Wan Mei ruined it and Liu Guang had to finish it off.

9. Xing Feng is Cha Luo's shadow. Yes it is a felony, but rules are meant to be broken (like in real life). Plus, Cha Luo is the chief, so she can change the rules whenever she feels like it.

10. Don't know (sorry)

11. Chang An is a descendent of Princess Taiping, the daughter of Empress Wu Zetian. The so called throne is from the Tang Dynasty, but the date of this drama is set after Tang got overrun. Prince Ning is related to Chang An, because they are from the same family, but his father was the emperor of a kingdom in the years after Tang's abolishment. It gets really confusing, but it's the best I can explain it. Google may probably be your best friend.

12. Answered above, but you can google Princess Taiping. I'm sure you'll find a lot of useful history facts.

13. I don't really remember this part (sorry).

14. Answered in 7.

15. The greatest crime was running away right? That was to die.

On another note, I've been seeing a lot of comments that people are dropping the drama because Gong Zi (Prince Ning) and Wan Mei won't be together. Damn why can't they just enjoy the story? lol

Xuanji Palace is the zombie cave, but I never knew it was part of the Blood Lotus. All I really remember is the damn supervisor "killing" Prince Ning's mother in the Blood Lotus "hideout" on the mountain.

38 minutes ago, rhaps said:

that's why a lot of C-dramas have sweet sweet romance with many episodes, in order to attract viewers like that

The only problem I have with dramas that consist of a lot of romance is that they tend to overdose on it, and then forget about the actual story.

That's one of the reasons why I love the story of Bloody Romance. The romantic scenes are mostly intertwined within the main story, and each scene has purpose. None of it is used to fill time. Part of the reason is the budget, because they couldn't afford to waste time on unneeded scenes.

It's been a long time since I have seen the romance that grips your heart and emotions like the love between Wan Mei and Chang An.  So all the more I support their romance.  Even if Prince Ning made sacrifices for Wan Mei but it's who Wan Mei love that matters most.  Besides, he has not long to live right based on the episodes I have watched to-date.

I am so loving this drama! I watched 27 episodes in 4 days! I'm watching on YT but it only goes up to episode 30...how have you guys seen the ending already??

It's so refreshing to see a couple like Wan Mei & Chang An, so open and honest with their feelings. I also love the fact that Chang An isn't a typical pretty boy male lead. He's attractive and masculine but he exudes a very different aura.  

One thing I am not clear on is why are the assassin hits always good people for the most part? who is ordering the hits?

On 8/30/2018 at 6:48 PM, Wotad said:

ending spoiler etc.. from dramalist.

Hide contents
    • This is the ULTIMATE spoiler, the ending in a 3:33 min 1080p video,
      fully English-subbed including the hidden message.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj91491ByM8
      I strongly recommend people not to watch this unless you have:
      1. Already watched all 36 episodes before hand
      2. Still have unanswered question about the ending after (1)

•  

Hi @Wotad. I watched the link you mentioned but did not quite understand it.
What about An Ding City in Liang Province?  

On 9/9/2018 at 2:58 AM, dancingbee said:

Somebody please help clarify?

What was the purpose of the heart-eating witchcraft in Ep 23 that Xing Feng planted on Chang An?
What about the Anti-sex drug?  What was this for?

Heart-eating witchcraft is a bug that is planted in Wan Mei's body.  It prevents Chang An from getting too close to Wan Wei.  If he's too close to her, he will feel heart wrenching pain like his heart is on fire.  This punishment is meted against couple who became lovers though they should strictly stick to master and servant relationship only.  Anti-sex drug is I think a bug planted in a male.  This will stop lovers from having sexual relations and it has permanent effect.

Both are terrible punishments for couples in love.

On 8/27/2018 at 4:57 AM, loversbridge said:

I just finished watching episode 20 and I'm still very fond of this drama. I'm sad about Chang An and Wan Mei, I miss the good times they shared but I love the angst too. A kiss would be nice but I just want them to make up (Chang An I love you and I understand you but I hope you'll be able to explain everything to Wan Mei one day, and not just before you die like in some other dramas thank you).  

I like to think of Cha Luo and Xing Feng as a twisted version of Wan Mei and Chang An. To know Cha Luo was a good person at the beginning and seeing how terrible she is now, it's sad. I think Xing Feng isn't very fond of how cruel she is, and you can see him try to help other servants sometimes. Is he still in love with her or staying with her out of habit or pity? I still enjoy their interactions very much and I hope we'll get flashbacks.

PS: I wondered if someone knew other dramas like this one because I don't know many chinese dramas (I watched Sound of the desert, Princess Weiyoung, and I'm making my way through the Glamourous Imperial Concubine and Nirvana in Fire)? So I guess what I'm searching for is a historical drama with a main female character who has someone who watches over her (like a bodyguard or a servant). I watched many sageuk and I rarely found ones who match my description (or maybe I didn't watch enough dramas). 

The setting of master and servant is  very rare in Chinese traditional drama, that's why this drama is special.

On 8/27/2018 at 8:56 AM, enigmatic_zephy said:

So, Gong Zi and Chang An - are they from the same dynasty or separate kingdoms altogether?

But the truth will actually relieve him of the promise of marrying and being the only person to help xie clan repopulate earth

What is the difference between emperor and king? as in based on how much land is under you or kingdoms.. which metric decides you have become the emperor

i watched raw.. not sure what is happening.. but lets say acting is still top notch

Is this drama a hit in China?

Legend of Fuyao - how is this? recommend watching? don't want usual stupidity of the drama.. unlike bloody romance where script is taut.. this is good

Compared to other dramas in the same period, this is not a hit. But still it has attracted a lot of fans and it deserves it! In all web dramas, it has been exported to the highest amount of countries. It is a pity that it is not popular enough. Such a good drama should be known by more people.

On 8/27/2018 at 10:45 AM, rhaps said:

LOL thanks!

This drama got 7.3 in douban, last time I checked (yesterday :P ), so it should be considered good. I also didnt want to watch the raws since I didnt understand Chinese, but I couldnt help it, so yeah. I'm glad if it's over because I can concentrate on rewatching, coz I cant help myself watching the raws which I dont understand, coz I want to know what happen next . Well, but I'm sad too because I like Chang An - Wan Mei and the fighting scenes, and I'm gonna miss a wuxia like this (which is rare nowadays)

Thanks again!

Hey, I'm Chinese. If you have any question, feel free to ask me! The greatest attraction of the story lies in the romance between Chang An and Wan Mei, which we call Wan-An CP (Wan An means Goodnight). Indeed, a wuxia like this is  rare.

On 8/29/2018 at 2:51 AM, alimaexray said:

Just finished watching the ending. It was great. I originally thought it was sad when Chang An "died", but when I looked deeper, his body was nowhere to be found. There's hope that he's still alive. I can't read Chinese that well so I don't know what the words on the fan say, but I've seen someone say that it's some kind of code to his current location.

Overall, this is a pure example of quality over quantity. Although there were quite a few of plot holes, the pacing and the continuous story always made me quickly forget about them. Acting was superb, though there's still room for improvement. Cinematography was off the charts. I absolutely loved the narration parts with all the images, and the music was placed in the perfect parts. Still can't get over Tia Ray's song, it's just too good (and too short :tongue:).

Don't worry! The fan hints a place named Anding, where Chang An is staying. So they will definitely meet one day.

On 8/29/2018 at 10:47 AM, rhaps said:

I hate an open ending. But, because I've thought that it was going to be worse, I'm quite relieved right now ..phew.. 

Anyway, how I wish that I understood Chinese, coz I could only guess what was going on :

Reveal hidden contents

I agree with your analysis about Xing Feng. There have been several cases where he didnt agree about Chan Luo's evilness and protected her 'victims'. He even protected Chang An in epi 23, and only gave him lighter punishment, that is  planting a witchcraft on Wan Mei. Yes, I believe that he still has a heart. It makes sense if he fulfilled his promise to Chang An in the end by saving him, but hiding it from Wan Mei. He is still punishing her , while fulfilling his promise. 

Yes, I need a sequel too! 

Hey! The poem on the fan contains a hint of Anding, the place where Chang An is staying. Since Gong Zi wants to kill Chang An, Xing Feng can't tell Wan Mei the truth. But Wan Mei will find out the truth one day. At the same time, Chang An will come back to her when he has recovered! They will definitely reunite! The author has written two happy stories after the ending on Weibo (like Twitter).

I actually wished the author kept Chang An as a common person. He already had a legitimate reason to seek revenge (the Xie family murders) and justice, there really was no need to give him a hidden identity as a prince. What I loved about BR is that it stayed focused on the love story and brought in very modern ideas like feminism & meritocracy in a very believable way.

Chang An always gave Wan Mei the room to make her own decisions.  One of my favorite lines was him telling her she can wait or not wait for him but he will come find her if he's still alive :heart::wub::heartbreak:

Archived