[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Bloody Romance 媚者无疆

sugarplum892

I finally finished the drama and still loved it. Wan Mei's character reminds me so much of La Femme Nikita. In that Drama Nikita was homeless, framed for a crime, put in jail, she was given a choice at a new life, her death was faked, she was taken out of jail then  trained to fight, learn multiple languages and dress beautifully then she discovered  the truth which was that she was trained by a government agency named section to be an assassin with no out and will be killed if she tried to leave and was disposable and could die on any mission. She did her best to live by her conscious and also had a male mentor name Michael who was just as stone-faced, who was hot and she loved, and he looked out for her when he could, protected her and tortured her to save her life when he had to.  

Wan Mei's character is so much like that, she did not know that she was going to be an assassin when she was taken there, She just wanted to live.  She was trained by her Shadow, he taught her how to be beautiful, some fighting skills, and protected her both in front and behind the scenes and abandoned her when necessary so that she can fend for herself/ become stronger. I loved when she transitioned to accept her fate, and change her destiny and it didn't take her long and was believable, she looked even more beautiful and was strong-willed.  I wish I could have seen her use her inter-power more.  But in the end Chang An knew she could never leave and he couldn't stay.  The way he parted with her was brillant.  He gave her the last of his inner power to give her the extra strength to fight and save herself in the final battle, while putting an end to there ill fated romance without one of them having to die in the others arms, making the choice for her and forcing her to accept things. This drama was never really about wan mei becoming a top assassin. :ph34r: It was about her will to live without blackening her heart,  her survival, and being able to live with the horrors she is seen without giving in completely to anger and resentment, and the efforts to try to make the city she lived in a better place without having to kill or force others to kill. She was finally able to make the place she despised a home to live her life. But most importantly it was about A prince who loved her but was not willing to give up everything for her and one who loved her and was willing to give his life so that she could live her own. :wub:

But did Chang An establish a new kingdom or did he just take up residence someplace else?

I have still yet to find the opening song, but the search continues:rolleyes:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time posting in the forum =)

This drama really did impress me, wasn't expecting it to be this great. :lol: The actors' performance was one of the best I've seen from the dramas I watched these few years.

BTW, saw many were looking for the opening theme song, so here are the links to the songs in this series:

Opening Theme Song --- by the original singer, Tia

Opening Theme Song --- by the ML, Qu Chu Xiao

Ending Theme Song --- by the FL, Li Yi Tong

Theme Song for ML --- by Gary Chaw

Theme Song for FL --- by Queena Cui

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/17/2018 at 12:22 PM, drama1302 said:

First time posting in the forum =)

This drama really did impress me, wasn't expecting it to be this great. :lol: The actors' performance was one of the best I've seen from the dramas I watched these few years.

BTW, saw many were looking for the opening theme song, so here are the links to the songs in this series:

Opening Theme Song --- by the original singer, Tia

Opening Theme Song --- by the ML, Qu Chu Xiao

Ending Theme Song --- by the FL, Li Yi Tong

Theme Song for ML --- by Gary Chaw

Theme Song for FL --- by Queena Cui

Thank you so much !!!!!:wub: I love the way Tia sings that song it is what drew me into this drama, her voice was so soulful and you could feel all the emotions she put into it, the deep hidden sadness, strength, and passion. My favorite lines of that song are when she says, "Use this lifetime, these moments of encounters to trade for just one short instant when you can be with me. These words, sentences, sentiments, and intentions contain hopes  that you and I can listen to the rain as we stand under the eave":rolleyes:

@rhaps  Thank you for the link... I'm still trying to locate the story that Euridite wrote can you please guide me to the posts. for September, so anxious to read them.   Does he ever become King of his kingdom or does he give it up completely?

Hi!! 

I finished BR a few days ago and loved it so much. 

What a nice thing sometimes is the internet, I could never watch this kind of series in Italy :-p

My favourite was indeed Gong Zi because that's just my kind of character and because it was very well played, but I never dreamed of pairing him with Wan Mei. Even though I never really felt for Chang An there's no doubt he was the one she loved, not just because he'd die for her, but because he understood her and she could be herself with him and she felt she could let her guard down only when she was with him. I've read bizarre things about 'who did most for her', but even if Gong Zi had done more for her, since when love became the same thing as gratitude? 

As a matter of fact, I'd love a sequel showing Gong Zi realising finally what he's lost without Yue Ying at his side. 

Maybe this is because I'm past my teenage years - way past :-(  but there's a difference between loving a character and a person. I love Gong Zi so much I have difficulty starting anything new now because I keep thinking of him, but I mean the character, I mean I want more stories with him in it, I don't want a manipulative bloody man in my life who couldn't even see how he was treating Yue Ying at the end...

About Wan Mei, I loved how they wrote her character. I think the way she changed/without-changing episode after episode was really good. She changed because she had to, she did things her old self never thought she would ever do, but she never changed who she is deep inside. 

• 2 months later...

Easily one of the best mainland dramas ive seen. The actress has portrayed two of my favorite female characters, Huang Rong and now Wan Mei. The last few episodes fell short but moreso due to production staging than writing/directing. I feel like the fight between Cha luo and Mei could’ve been more dramatic and epic and wished they had budgeted better for it—this goes for the fights between ChangAn/Xingfeng and ChangAn/Gonzhi as well—but whatevs. I don’t love the ending but I appreciate its hopeful, cryptic ness. Overall, this drama was one of a kind. My only complaint is I wish wan mei and Changan kissed because I am a pervert lol. Seriously tho! One of this dramas very few flaws is leaving its viewers sexually frustrated? Esp if you are watching Ashes of Love and experienced how gratuitous that one is...hmph. Bloody Romance is like the antisex compared to other mainland dramas nowadays. Tsk tsk

10 hours ago, OppasSlyFox said:

Sorry for double posting but I am rewatching/re-reading your posts and was hoping if someone can link me to the new chapters that follows the drama? Erudite’s postings seem to have disappeared off MDL as well:( I’m obsessed and just want more!

Here it goes @OppasSlyFox

Spoiler

Summary of spin-off chapters by Ban Ming Ban Mei (original author) of events after end of Bloody Romance drama:

Chapter 1: Apricot Wine

1a - There was a wheel-chair bound Mr Qi (a reference to Wan Mei's original name, Qi Xue) living in a courtyard house in the city of An Ding. Apparently he had stockpiled apricots from this year's harvest and made wine from them.

1b - He appeared to be a trader of information and people in the martial world called his place the Apricot Garden.

1c - One day, as chill is approaching, Mr Qi waited patiently in his courtyard with his Weiqi(Go) set. In the evening, a horse-drawn carriage approached.

1d - As Mr Qi poured out two cups of heated wine slowly - Gong Zi appeared seated facing him.

1e - They chatted, had a drink and a fight involving the Weiqi pieces. Gong Zi appeared to have the upper hand.

1f - In subsequent conversation, we learnt that Xing Feng has given his entire spy network outside Gui Hua city to Chang An as he was sent him to safety and the Wordless Edict is still in his posession.

1g - "You're a cripple, it's not possible they still acknowledge you as the King of Chu", sneered Gong Zhi as he attacked Chang An.

1h - Chang An's wheelchair was smashed and a sword menaced his neck - then we noticed Gong Zi is bleeding.

1i - The Emperor had made Gong Zi the Grand Marshal but it seemed that he has only two choices - died in battle or died by exhaustion, Chang An reasoned.

1j - Who informed Gong Zi of Chang An's whereabouts a few days ago? Gong Zi realized it was Chang An himself.

1k - Someone pushed out a new wheelchair - it was Xie Ying (Ruan Niang).

1l - A new Weiqi board was set-up and Chang An explained that he let Gong Zi thought Xie Ying is dead so he would made a truce (in Ep35).

1m - As they took turns placing the Weiqi pieces, Gong Zi asked "What do you want?"

1n - "Peace in the realms. If you can do it, I'll assist you", Chang An replied.

1o - They then understood each other. Chang An maybe a man of few words, but he know what's worth living for.

1p - Chang An said he needed time to heal even with "Bone Joining Poultice", to be able to walk again.

1q - "I have made sweet apricot wine for Wan Mei. There are buried underneath the ground", Chang An revealed at the end.

Chapter 2: Back Home

2a - After taking helm of Gui Hua city, Wan Mei kept herself busy on the well-being of its 218 inhabitants (assassins, shadows, artisans, laborers etc)

2b - She and Gong Zi had a tacit agreement. On occasions he appeared in Gui Hua to space out alone at Bie An Shrine. Wan Mei do not heed him nor allow him to meddle in anything regarding the city. Neither did she seek his help for anything.

2c - The death of Xing Feng apparently caused the external spy network of Gui Hua to collapse. Wan Mei had no means of communicating with them.

2d - Around 6 or 7 months later the network appeared to reconnect and recovered by itself, as reports started pouring in from outside. Wan Mei sensed that someone is helping her but had no idea who.

2e - New assignments for Gui Hua are screened by Wan Mei. Kill missions now are only for targets who deserved death.

2f - One day, an assignment involving 'Virgin Blood' appeared. Wan Mei decided to take the mission herself.

2g - She left her 'Mei Mansion' on the 3rd day of the 8th Lunar month and completed the mission successful in the capital.

2h - In her return journey she decided to pass through her home town.

2i - There she was ambushed by a strong group of assailants. It was the 15th night of the 8th Lunar Month.

2j - Wan Mei realized that they are using Ninjitsu, the deadly arts from Dong Ying (East Ocean - present day Japan)

2k - She vanquished the large group, but also sustained injuries in the fight. She noticed something unusual on her fan, dropped to the ground in the midst of the fight.

2l - Under the full-moon, she noticed that 4 characters are glowing in red: "An Ding City in Liang Province"

2m - Xing Feng has mixed in dormant Crimson Gu with the blood when he wrote those 4 characters. The Gu would reactivated after 200 days.

2n - Wan Mei stared at the fan blankly for a moment. Then she began to laugh, and continue to laugh as her tears dropped to the ground.

2o - She was interrupted by a man, the leader of the Ninjas who introduced himself as "The Shadow"

2p - Wan Mei fought valiantly in her weakened state and said to the Ninja Lord in contempt: "You're not worthy of using Shadow as your name!"

2q - Chang An joined in the midst of the fight, and in a dazed state, Wan Mei realized that they killed the Ninja leader together.

2r - The injured Wan Mei was carried away by Chang An, and before she passed out, she heard him saying "Chang An is bringing you back home".

2s - Sometime later, under an apricot tree, they opened up a fresh jar of apricot wine.

2t - "Will you ever...leave me again?" Wan Mei asked Chang An.

2u - "Our world will never be bounded to this courtyard alone [*]. But here is our home. Drink up. The moon is almost gone."

2v - Wan Mei reflected that it's true. She has also never seen a moon as big, as bright, as perfectly round as that night in mid-autumn.

[*] This is a counterpoint to what Gong Zi said to Wan Mei in Episode 36, "Follow me, and your world will expand"

I never knew this drama is even exists (?) (?) (?) I was bloody mad!!!!! Because I am waiting for great historical Mainland China dramas last year but lil did I've found which can satisfy my hungers. Now I am waiting for Season 2 BR.

Once I love Gongzi but then his feelings towards WanMei is toxic love. I am being honest here, this drama has superb line of actors and actress but why there are many loopholes. Sometimes I can feel the drama, but sometimes I watch because I want to see what's comes next. 

Please please, they don't deserved this. I love allllll the casts including the cat TT If there's sequel for season 2, please write with more sincere as far as you could author nim. 

I smile while reading all the comments here regarding "kiss moment". Hahahahahahahaha i wish i can have hand of god to transparent push their heads together so they can kiss XD

So hello everyone! I am new hereeeeeeeee

• 4 weeks later...

hihi! i was super exited to find this cuz bloody romance was the firat drama i ever watched, and oml it is amazing, especially cuz you guys say it had a low budget. i remember seeing ads for it and being like, nah, looks uninteresting. but then my gramma started watching it and i was like, this is amazing!

did you know that QCX x LYT might become an actual thing? i saw somewhere that QCX posted a video thing that went kind of like this

QCX : Ms. Li, where are you from?

李老师,请问你哪儿人?

LYT:I'm from Shan Dong

我山东人啊

QCX:Wrong, you're the person in my heart

错,你是我的心上人

(sorry the translations dont make that much sense, cuz they sorta used chinese slang thats weird when translated)

also while filming this QCX had a fan that said "晚媚最美", which means "wan mei ia the prettiest"

what would you guys think if they actually got together irl?

On 1/29/2019 at 2:34 AM, kimong8 said:

Hellooo!! Welcome to the forum, and sorry for taking so long to reply to you. Will give longer response later! :)

51 minutes ago, Angel Kitty said:

hihi! i was super exited to find this cuz bloody romance was the firat drama i ever watched, and oml it is amazing, especially cuz you guys say it had a low budget. i remember seeing ads for it and being like, nah, looks uninteresting. but then my gramma started watching it and i was like, this is amazing!

Welcome! Yes, it's an amazing drama, and I'm glad you enjoyed it, because frankly it's not for everyone :)

On 1/29/2019 at 2:34 AM, kimong8 said:

I never knew this drama is even exists (?) (?) (?) I was bloody mad!!!!! Because I am waiting for great historical Mainland China dramas last year but lil did I've found which can satisfy my hungers. Now I am waiting for Season 2 BR.

Once I love Gongzi but then his feelings towards WanMei is toxic love. I am being honest here, this drama has superb line of actors and actress but why there are many loopholes. Sometimes I can feel the drama, but sometimes I watch because I want to see what's comes next. 

Please please, they don't deserved this. I love allllll the casts including the cat TT If there's sequel for season 2, please write with more sincere as far as you could author nim. 

I smile while reading all the comments here regarding "kiss moment". Hahahahahahahaha i wish i can have hand of god to transparent push their heads together so they can kiss XD

The drama was quite underrated, but the majority who have watched it would vouch for it later. It certainly ignited conversation. I agree, it's got plotholes and editing isn't the best either. But for me, the superb acting, dialogues and OST, made up for it. This is one drama that I can watch for the acting alone, seriously. Also an opening song which is really a reflection of the drama's soul. 

Ha, I'm one of those who actually like the nonexistent kiss :))). It's a period drama, a time when people supposedly courted just by stealing glances, exchanging smiles, or holding hands. The leads have electrifying chemistry that you just can't not root for them. As for season 2, we all are hoping for it! At the moment we haven't heard any news about S2, but who knows? Meanwhile, you can check the 2 chapters written by the original author AFTER the drama ended. I've put it in a comment above.

3 hours ago, Angel Kitty said:

did you know that QCX x LYT might become an actual thing? i saw somewhere that QCX posted a video thing that went kind of like this

李老师,请问你哪儿人?

我山东人啊

错,你是我的心上人

(sorry the translations dont make that much sense, cuz they sorta used chinese slang thats weird when translated)

also while filming this QCX had a fan that said "晚媚最美", which means "wan mei ia the prettiest"

Wow, really? Never heard of that. Thank you for the translation! This is the first time I read about it. But I remember one thing: Qu Chuxiao always says that his favorite scene is when Wan Mei was practicing her martial art in the woods with Chang An. According to him, that was the time when they both (the characters) acknowledged their strong feelings towards each other. So... what gives? ;-)

I  actually  loved the series. I just wish  that it had more episodes  than 36. I  am  looking  forward  to seeing  season  2. May I  ask when does it plan on airing and can Chang An be brought  back in season  2 I'd  love to see those two actually  get together  cause she really  loved him. A Johnson  USA.

I am so obsessed with this drama! It was so well written and the cast was very dimensional.

I really hope there is a second season with the same main cast members.

I actually suspect that the writer deleted her stories because it will be used in the screenplay... just a theory though...

On 2/24/2019 at 2:01 PM, Angel Kitty said:

李老师,请问你哪儿人?

我山东人啊

错,你是我的心上人

OMG!!!! I hope this a thing.... they are so cute together!

10 hours ago, sunnysunday83 said:

I am so obsessed with this drama! It was so well written and the cast was very dimensional.

I really hope there is a second season with the same main cast members.

I actually suspect that the writer deleted her stories because it will be used in the screenplay... just a theory though...

Did the writer delete her stories? Do you mean the new chapters or the erotica? 

I certainly hope there will be second season, with all of the same cast (including Yue Ying!).

I am... also just finish this drama in 1 go.

I love Chang An. I love Wan Mei. but most of all (I might be the minority here), I love Cha Luo. I think she is funny (in her evil way). She deserve what she deserve. I just dislike Gong Zi since the beginning. I can feel his insincerity.

I have a few questions though.

- is chang an really die? but there is apricot tree at the end..

- is this based on novel? how the novel ends? Chang An really die?

- will there be Bloody Romance 2?

i hate this kind of ending.  No regret in watching the show though. just hoping there might be season 2.

• 3 months later...
On 3/6/2019 at 6:25 AM, kuuto said:

I am... also just finish this drama in 1 go.

I love Chang An. I love Wan Mei. but most of all (I might be the minority here), I love Cha Luo. I think she is funny (in her evil way). She deserve what she deserve. I just dislike Gong Zi since the beginning. I can feel his insincerity.

I have a few questions though.

- is chang an really die? but there is apricot tree at the end..

- is this based on novel? how the novel ends? Chang An really die?

- will there be Bloody Romance 2?

i hate this kind of ending.  No regret in watching the show though. just hoping there might be season 2.

hi! so um, about your questions:

-changan didnt really die. according to the fan xingfeng gave wanmei, changan is waiting for her somewhere (i forget where, i think it was AnDing. or maybe liang zhou?)

-yes this is based on a novel, and in the novel he doesnt die either. in the novel, im pretty sure theres a part in the end where it says that changan settled down somewhere and has a little house with a yard that contains a super tall tree, and theres a swing on the tree (reminecint of the one in wanmeis yard). he is waiting for wanmei there. also the novel is lot more non-PG so yeah... just sayin'

-i have no idea whether or not theres gonna be a BR 2

i hope this helped!

• 8 months later...

Archived