[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Bloody Romance 媚者无疆

sugarplum892

1 hour ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

what is douban

Hide contents

also, really need recommendations - romantic and passionate, intense with good buildups.. like this show or Addicted :P ..

not love O2O ,girl's acting was weird..

but if it has drop dead gorgeous cast like meteor garden, maybe :P ,

and most of the modern ones seem to be fairly stupid including recent one with janine ... and not as old as chinese version of scarlet heart (very difficult to watch low quality screen) .. 

looking for something really intense ( like i remember starting a drama with dilraba where she loves someone else but marries the king, he allows her to have her lover's child.. because he loved her since childhood.. anyway. .. got bored)

douban is like IMDB 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While waiting for tonight's episodes, I had a laugh when Prince Ning told Wan Mei that she needed to go back to Gui Hua City and save Chang An. He even told her that he had prepared a horse for her. In a flash ... she was gone. I just laughed at Prince Ning's stunned look. Well ... you did ask her to go.

Just finished watching the ending. It was great. I originally thought it was sad when Chang An "died", but when I looked deeper, his body was nowhere to be found. There's hope that he's still alive. I can't read Chinese that well so I don't know what the words on the fan say, but I've seen someone say that it's some kind of code to his current location.

Overall, this is a pure example of quality over quantity. Although there were quite a few of plot holes, the pacing and the continuous story always made me quickly forget about them. Acting was superb, though there's still room for improvement. Cinematography was off the charts. I absolutely loved the narration parts with all the images, and the music was placed in the perfect parts. Still can't get over Tia Ray's song, it's just too good (and too short :tongue:).

12 minutes ago, alimaexray said:

Just finished watching the ending. It was great. I originally thought it was sad when Chang An "died", but when I looked deeper, his body was nowhere to be found. There's hope that he's still alive. I can't read Chinese that well so I don't know what the words on the fan say, but I've seen someone say that it's some kind of code to his current location.

Overall, this is a pure example of quality over quantity. Although there were quite a few of plot holes, the pacing and the continuous story always made me quickly forget about them. Acting was superb, though there's still room for improvement. Cinematography was off the charts. I absolutely loved the narration parts with all the images, and the music was placed in the perfect parts. Still can't get over Tia Ray's song, it's just too good (and too short :tongue:).

So was it a bad ending???

30 minutes ago, Wotad said:

So was it a bad ending???

Spoiler

I don't think it is. I remembered in the last few minutes what Wan Mei was saying to her cat. I don't want to spoil it completely if you haven't watched it.

5 hours ago, rhaps said:

Reveal hidden contents

I read in other forum that someone said that he didn't die, but his location is written in the fan. And people are saying that there's a possibility that there's a sequel. I dunno, there's no subs so I don't understand, but I could go crazy if he dies although I've been expecting it :P . Oh I hope he lives. For me, he is a very loveable male lead, who'll do anything to protect his Wan Mei. I almost cried when I watched him transferring his inner energy to her in his wounded state, then I had this bad feeling that he would die after that. I was wondering how Wan Mei would be able to defeat Chan Luo, when Chang An couldn't even do it. It made more sense and was more believable  if she defeated her after getting additional strength from Chang An.

And now I'm wondering whether he dies or not. HHHHHHH .. I'm gonna hate the writer if he dies! I hate a sad ending, and it's gonna be hard for me to rewatch this if it has a sad ending :(

Yes, actually I don't feel that this drama is perfect, but the thing that draws me into it is the love between Chang An and Wan Mei.. plus other things , of course .. like the pacing, acting, fighting scenes, the wuxia/ancient feels, and the cinematography. Yes, I can't believe that the actor Chang An was just graduated from an acting academy last year. He is good. I can feel his emotions through his eyes. The other leads + main supporting characters are also good, including Xin Feng (? Chan Luo's shadow).

Oh yeah, I love the opening song and the new song (Chang An's theme song?). I havent found the full version of the 2nd one, though

Hi! In which episode is that?

Episode 33

Spoiler

Wait,

so does that mean , that woman lied and Chaner was not the king..

And chaner is dead

Prince's bodyguard is gone because king made some trade and she sacrificed herself..

prince still doesn't get Wan mei

and wan mei now is the head of the city but both love and friendship lost?

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tragic

6 hours ago, alimaexray said:
  Hide contents

I don't think it is. I remembered in the last few minutes what Wan Mei was saying to her cat. I don't want to spoil it completely if you haven't watched it.

Spoiler

What is she saying?

i thought its out an out a tragic ending..

they show some city and some plant growing up.. did she manage to send certain someone to a safe place.. or did she just grow a plant using the ashes or something

22 minutes ago, rhaps said:

I checked Bloody Romance thread in Mydramalist, and there is an explanation about the ending, posted by Erudite. In case somebody wants to read his explanation, you can read his post here ( warning, contains MAJOR SPOILER about the ending ) :

https://mydramalist.com/27510-bloody-romance

Reveal hidden contents

Basically he explained about how to decipher the writing in the fan and why Chang An was missing

Exactly what I was going to post! Perfect explanations!

I have another way of thinking that Chang An isn't dead.

Spoiler

Xing Feng promised Chang An that he'd let him and Wan Mei live if they loved each other to the very last second when Chang An first "escaped" to fight the Liang kingdom. Chang An reminded Xing Feng of that promise when his feet were given a beating. After Wan Mei was victorious against Cha Luo, she returned to "save" Chang An, but there was a lack of a body. You could say Xing Feng killed Chang An and told servants to get rid of him, but that's not his personality, and it would've broken the promise he made, leaving quite a major plot hole. On top of that, Xing Feng saw Chang An and Wan Mei as a younger version of himself and Cha Luo. It wouldn't even make sense that Xing Feng would kill Chang An, even if Wan Mei killed Cha Luo, because Xing Feng has a heart, and knows Cha Luo is beyond redemption.

I NEED A SEQUEL! The open ending (leaning towards good) was perfect for this drama. Open endings are generally not well-liked, but I felt it was perfect for this one.

What happened to prince's bodyguard, i didn't get that part..

and was ning never interested in killing the king?

What happened to Prince? What does going into the house alone mean..

I guess, the boy did escape. Is it a rule, anyone who escapes will be killed? its good if people think he died in that case.

Is his heart disease/ witchcraft dealt with?

was he even the king? i thought xie's lied to him

40 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

What happened to prince's bodyguard, i didn't get that part..

and was ning never interested in killing the king?

The king (now emperor) was interested in Yue Ying. I'm not sure what he said though. Going to have to wait for the English Subs to figure that out.

As for killing the king, that's the only question that remains unanswered for me. He either gave up, knowing that his brother was doing well, or he's still planning on it, but doesn't have the resources.

What happened to Prince? What does going into the house alone mean..

That's up to your imagination. What would you do if your longtime bodyguard left you for someone else and the person you love only treats you as a friend? My guess is he's secluding himself or doing the above; thinking about how to usurp the throne.

I guess, the boy did escape. Is it a rule, anyone who escapes will be killed? its good if people think he died in that case.

If you're referring to Chang An, let's not forget that rules can be altered, especially now that Wan Mei is leading the pack. By the way, if you already escaped, you can't die. It's like the saying "It's not illegal until you're caught."

Is his heart disease/ witchcraft dealt with?

Gong Zi is fully cured. Episodes 31-33 if you need a reference.

was he even the king? i thought xie's lied to him

The message from Cha Luo's dress box was never opened, so there is no way to confirm whether or not he is actually a descendant of Princess Taiping. Therefore, the answer to whether or not the Xie's lied to him will be a mystery until season 2.

You can say he was "king" for a brief period between episodes 32-35, as he did raise his own army under a new name in hopes of restoring the glory days of the Tang Empire.

I am all for Season 2. The new villain is Prince Ning. Remember, Chang An said it in the same line "Do Not trust Cha Luo, do not trust Prince Ning".

Currently, Prince Ning and his brother had called their dynasty Later Tang. This is an historical fact. Historically, Wu Zetian's dynasty only had her as Emperor.

Personally, Chang An's heart was never belonged to the cause ... Taiping descendant hence heir apparent. I find that the Xie family is just riding on that for their own personal glory. He is doing it because it was drummed into him that the death of a whole clan was because to protect him.

Look how he just dropped everything to be at Wan Mei's side once he heard she was in danger. 

On 8/27/2018 at 7:16 PM, enigmatic_zephy said:

Hide contents

also, really need recommendations - romantic and passionate, intense with good buildups.. like this show or Addicted :P ..

looking for something really intense ( like i remember starting a drama with dilraba where she loves someone else but marries the king, he allows her to have her lover's child.. because he loved her since childhood.. anyway. .. got bored)

Best romance build-up I've even seen is in te recently completed The Legend of Fuyao. It would also fit the bill when it comes to passion and intensity. I've never seen a love story so well-portrayed in a drama

The currently airing Ashes of Love also delivers some great romantic intensity and plot. Plus it's some serious eye-candy.

Last but not least, the excellent Eternel Love, 10 miles of Peach Blossoms, after the set-up episodes have concluded.

2 hours ago, missnymeria said:

Best romance build-up I've even seen is in te recently completed The Legend of Fuyao. It would also fit the bill when it comes to passion and intensity. I've never seen a love story so well-portrayed in a drama

The currently airing Ashes of Love also delivers some great romantic intensity and plot. Plus it's some serious eye-candy.

Last but not least, the excellent Eternel Love, 10 miles of Peach Blossoms, after the set-up episodes have concluded.

Spoiler

10 miles - i opened the poster, male lead doesn't look appealing.. lol yea shallow me.. does he grow on you over the course of drama..? (looks wise)

which one would you say is must go for super intense.. the first one :) .. it could be possessiveness, slap kiss genre whatever... as long as it is intense.. or good old deep in love but separated (but intense)

36 minutes ago, rhaps said:

Me too. Season 2 is a must!

I heard that the novel hasn't finished. The author  never finished it. So, perhaps that's why there are unfinished problems in the story. I really hope that Season 2 is confirmed. Not just  because I can't get enough of Chang An - Wan Mei, but also because I want to see the closures of all conflicts.

Yes, I also think that Chang An doesn't really want the throne. Although I was watching raws, I could see that all that he really wanted was actually just Wan Mei and how to get revenge for the Xie. I think he is a mature character who can adapt into a situation and do what he thinks he must do. If he feels that he has an obligation, then he is willing to accept his 'destiny' and do it right. Then again, Wan Mei is still number 1 in his heart, and he is willing to let go of everything to keep her safe.

And I think I have to read about the history of China. *LOL*

It's still not confirmed. I hope there will be s2

If the Novel is not finished would s2 be original script? i would be very nervous for that. 

30 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:
  Hide contents

10 miles - i opened the poster, male lead doesn't look appealing.. lol yea shallow me.. does he grow on you over the course of drama..? (looks wise)

which one would you say is must go for super intense.. the first one :) .. it could be possessiveness, slap kiss genre whatever... as long as it is intense.. or good old deep in love but separated (but intense)

Hes quite charming and you fall for him. 

I'm all in for season 2, even with an original script. I heard the author was the scriptwriter for season 1, so maybe season 2 will be the same person. I'm sure they'll follow what was completed from the second book up until the unfinished portions, then come up with new ideas. The script requires a team effort, but I'm certain the content will be there. The question is whether or not the pacing will be as good as this one.

I tend to find pacing of dramas usually linked to the budget, so I hope they don't go crazy with the budget because that's when things tend to go wrong. You add more episodes, but if there's nothing to talk about, there's no reason to add them. Just save the money for other things, like better editing. :smile:

In the end, Cha Luo sounded like a frustrated spinster with her desire there is death to all lovers.

Hah! Prince Ning finally have to hear from Wan Mei herself why she will never choose him. She said that she always felt that Prince Ning see her as a chess piece for his use because Prince Ning told her to get Gui Hua City so that he can return to it one day. His deal with his Emperor brother to give up Gui Hua City for the Generalship. Prince Ning asked why Chang An is different in her eyes when he is doing the same thing as he is (securing a kingship). Wan Mei said that Chang had never forced her to do anything and will have her on his mind in every consideration. Therefore, Chang An out beat Prince Ning for her affections. Another stunned look from Prince Ning. Lastly, Wan Mei said her decision to stay at Gui Hua City and take over the leadership is not for Prince Ning's sake but she did not want the women to suffered under Cha Luo's hands.

Xing Feng removed the Blood Gu from Wan Mei therefore her inner strength is greatly reduced. Although Xing Feng did it so she will not be seen as a threat to Cha Luo but Cha Luo did not fall for it. That is why Chang An donated his inner strength to Wan Mei to defeat Cha Luo. He told her that she was the woman he loved and who he will give up his life for. He told her to stay alive and forbid her to take poison as it was her earlier plan. Chang An told her never turn herself to be another Cha Luo as she is always be Wan Mei (perfect).

Based on what I have seen so far, there is a few unfinished business. There was that talk between Prince Ning and Chang An on joining forces to defeat the Liang dynasty. I think it is probably the second time the two men showed their qualification on who is the better man. When Prince Ning told Chang An that he won their fight before and that Chang An said he did not put his best effort in that fight.

I must say Chang An practiced great restraint with Wan Mei. He is so proper ... why he did not kiss her? Season 2 a kiss is a must.

Emperor brother asked for Yue Ying to be at his side and enter his inner palace. Stupid man just "hired" his brother's spy to his side. Yue Ying probably though she is doing Prince Ning a big favour.

I wander whether Prince Ning entering back into that cave of his is to revive Chang An. That pool of blood gu thingy maybe can do such a thing.

• sugarplum892 changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Bloody Romance 媚者无疆

Archived