[Drama 2018-2019] Secrets and Lies, 비밀과 거짓말

0ly40

Haven't seen the subbed version yet, but I'm inclined to believe that it is Chairman who sent the "swat team/shake-down" folks in to round everybody up.  JB's office is cleaned out, crazy Mom is confronted, and HK is in some interrogation room.  Pres. Shin is leaving with his suitcase, so could he be cooperating as a whistleblower with authorities?  That would give him protection against Chairman.

As for avoiding certain writers, many of them only write one or two dramas and we get suckered into them every time!  I think this writer has only one other drama under her belt.  Oh well, we've had a good discussion all along.... :unsure:

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, marrez1 said:

it seems to me that we talked about it at the beginning of this drama that HK, who is the wicked, is also the main character of this drama. In general in this genre it is always the kind lead and who undergoes all kinds of bad things. Now, not only is HK mean and doing terrible things, but terrible things happen to her too.
This drama is very focused on HK and its actions

It is truly sick that the industry would want to depict such kind of trash as a daily drama.  Most of us want to have fun watching something light hearted and more or less in the line of ethics and integrity.  No body that I know enjoys this for a fun daily.  Shame on you #mbc for bringing such a drama to the masses.  The genre description is melodrama.  To me this much of evil is not melo drama.  I have to watch out from now on.  I hated how DB, WJ, and other good characters had no life in them.  Even the facial expression are not good.  NEither is HK who they want to portray as an actress.  

My question is how would I figure out if the drama is good or bad from the initial stages.  I would want to enjoy my time watching good ones.  But figuring out is difficult.  I don't want to watch at the end since I would not be able to chat with all the nice folks here.  

4 hours ago, whome said:

I need to avoid this writer and the actress portraying HK.

Tag me when you do that !!

In today's episode, for a moment I thought I had stepped into a historical drama. Grandfather was telling his secretary that he has to "be more agile like a leopard, straight like an arrow"---even the background music.  I almost started laughing. He's like a real gangster. I keep waiting for him to have a heart attack any moment.

8 hours ago, marrez1 said:

it seems to me that we talked about it at the beginning of this drama that HK, who is the wicked, is also the main character of this drama. In general in this genre it is always the kind lead and who undergoes all kinds of bad things. Now, not only is HK mean and doing terrible things, but terrible things happen to her too.
This drama is very focused on HK and its actions

In the drama "Come! Jang Bo RI!" and several other 50 plus dramas, the writer never loses focus as to who the leads are. The secondary characters have good prominent roles, but they don't take over. I can only recall 3 dramas that I've watched where the secondary characters started to take over and received more screen time than the actual leads. 

The Synopsis of this drama is as follows:

Han Woo Jung (Seo Hae Won) has a bright personality. She is betrayed by her best friend Shin Hwa Kyung (Oh Seung Ah). Because of the betrayal, her life is ruined. She keeps pursuing her dream and never loses hope. 

This synopsis sounds wrong for this drama--it only match a little. The primary theme of this drama is how JB and HK have faked their way to the top.

@angelwingssf, couldn't agree with you more about daily dramas.  I like them with the right amount of angst, but we still have smart leads who don't always come out on the losing end until the very last episode of the drama. Some of my favorite old daily dramas that were really good are, "A Good Day for the Wind to Blow" aka "Happiness in the Wind" -173 episodes and I've watched it about 5 times over the years, "As Much as Heaven and Earth" aka "By Land and Sea"--165, "I Love You Don't Cry"- (although it lost it's way a bit, but came back around),  "Ugly Alert" and a few others that I can't recall at the moment.

I use to really enjoy daily dramas - examples: A Tale of Two Sisters, Blow Breeze, Lady, Make a Wish. All the ones I've watched lately are the pits. Even with seasoned actors/actresses they are so disappointing. I've taken to watching Turkish dramas (which are usually remakes of Kdramas) - and I am flabbergasted at the difference in both the quality and the acting skills. I'm laying my hopes now on Gangnam Scandal - no, I'm "praying" it will be a good one. 

6 hours ago, Takingthehighroad said:

I use to really enjoy daily dramas - examples: A Tale of Two Sisters, Blow Breeze, Lady, Make a Wish. All the ones I've watched lately are the pits. Even with seasoned actors/actresses they are so disappointing. I've taken to watching Turkish dramas (which are usually remakes of Kdramas) - and I am flabbergasted at the difference in both the quality and the acting skills. I'm laying my hopes now on Gangnam Scandal - no, I'm "praying" it will be a good one. 

@Takingthehighroad, Thank you for mentioning some other daily dramas that I've haven't watched in a while. I think I'm going to marathon a couple of those one the next few days.

A lot of the daily dramas today seem they are only written one demential--over the top angst to the point it's ridiculous. 

Clarification in regards to the Turkish dramas, are they a good watch? By your statement I can't tell if they are better or worse when it comes to the quality. Also, can you PM me a link where you watch them?

3 hours ago, lclarakl said:

Clarification in regards to the Turkish dramas, are they a good watch? By your statement I can't tell if they are better or worse when it comes to the quality. Also, can you PM me a link where you watch them?

@Takingthehighroad  Can you pls Msgs Me the link also. I like to switch up and watch something different..

I guess the purpose of this episode was to give everybody more face time (bad acting and all) while Chairman confronts all the imposters.  DB and WJ spring into action to defend his parents, WJ whips out her cellphone to capture the action and engage Chairman in an interview (lame).  Funny how all the goon squad in the background didn't/couldn't/wouldn't stop it all.  By the end of the episode, Chairman is embracing DB and looks like he is ready to kowtow to DB as HK watches Gramps take DB into the Miseong mansion.

1 hour ago, msmy said:

I guess the purpose of this episode was to give everybody more face time (bad acting and all) while Chairman confronts all the imposters.  DB and WJ spring into action to defend his parents, WJ whips out her cellphone to capture the action and engage Chairman in an interview (lame).  Funny how all the goon squad in the background didn't/couldn't/wouldn't stop it all.  By the end of the episode, Chairman is embracing DB and looks like he is ready to kowtow to DB as HK watches Gramps take DB into the Miseong mansion.

@msmy  I think the old bat let them off to lightly.  But granted they did raise DB..JB wanting to kill himself blaming DB for G/pa finding out about who is real G/son, and still can't see that HK will use him to know end.. It's all about her and she don't care whom she hurts to get there in the process... Now that she seen first hand how G/pa is accepting his real G/son and wife which she thought she could use as a part of her back up plan to get crazy daughter to do her bidding because HK knows crazy daughter hatred of anything connected to her Ex husband that don;t have her involved in it.. Now that G/pa knows about the two that plan is out the door.. All to do her bidding it's either kill thats left is for her to use JB. It's going to be kill DB.. She can't have WJ living as the DIL of Miseong Group and she living in the dumps.. She feels Miseong Group owes her and if she  can't be apart of it no one else can period.. 

My next question is do greedy mama have any idea what she has done to her son at all.. ? How can they both sit there and beg and plead with the chairman blaming HK for everything as if they did no wrong when they had plenty of time to tell the truth..  

.I don't get how can WJ mom let her (HK) in her home is just beyond me.. I don't even want to get into all of this.. The more I think about it the more I could slap this women.. We talking about a girl that push you down the stairs to keep her lie going not caring if it kils you and yet you let her in your home.. SMH 

Now I'm thinking Chairman wants Shin to come back with the exception he train DB to take over.. Let's see what daughter has to say about this because the chairman knows she don;t want DB involved in the company because who is wife is and whats she to her Ex husband.. Chairman don't have time for her crazy notions and antics, He knows she's being ridiculous and needs to move on fro her stupidity..

DB's character is a complete miss by this writer.  The character should be a type "A" personality that is way more aggressive and loud than what is shown.  If his mission was to out the corruption in the corporate world, I would expect a lot more animation and assertiveness than what this mousy guy is showing.  Now that he is known to be the real heir, he has power to make a difference by telling his crazy aunt to take a back seat and bug off. He can start calling the shots as he puts Gramps in the palm of his hand.  And WJ,  my goodness.  She slinks to the back then appears to be assertive and it looks odd.  She has the personality of a dust mop.:tears:

8 hours ago, angelwingssf said:

I love today's episode with the grandpa giving back to Yoon family.  I must be out of my mind since I hate violence, but I felt they all deserved it.  I am surprised it was not more than what they dished out.  Will wait for the subs.  

What was HK recording now?

HK took the video that HJW recorded when Chairman punched in the numbers to open the safe.  HK will claim to have evidence that HJW had access to the safe and stole documents that were used in the charges brought against Miseong.  We've yet to see how far that goes because, as I predicted, the relationships have been revealed and HJW is grandson's MIL.  And Pres. Shin is back in to manage Miseong Apparel, there again, at the request of Chairman to protect grandson's interest (financial).  Notice the trend here of the shysters getting pushed out farther and farther....<_<

It looks like HK and JB are positioning themselves to be a big part of Miseong.  Today's series of events are forcing DB and his aunt to align, along with the help of Pres. Shin, whether they like it or not, to save the company.  DB is going to be forced to admit publicly that he is the grandson and expose his "ethics lacking" parents and brother.  He either steps up to the plate or loses what his grandfather built because he is a coward.  Funny how as a reporter he was ready to expose wrongdoings, but now the ball is in his court as to how "brave" he is to right the wrong.

I keep trying to classify this drama into a category - stupid, stupider, stupidest. I've decided it is stupider-er-er-est-est. If these young actors/actresses are trying to use this drama as a springboard for their careers,  well their agents picked a doozy. HK's  sole facial expression  aka "I love you. I hate you. I'm going to kill you! " will haunt me the rest of my life. Except for the eyes, this emoji looks just like her .......:astonished:

33 minutes ago, Takingthehighroad said:

I keep trying to classify this drama into a category - stupid, stupider, stupidest. I've decided it is stupider-er-er-est-est. If these young actors/actresses are trying to use this drama as a springboard for their careers,  well their agents picked a doozy. HK's  sole facial expression  aka "I love you. I hate you. I'm going to kill you! " will haunt me the rest of my life. Except for the eyes, this emoji looks just like her .......:astonished:

Good one.  Love it.  :mrgreen::star:

Since inquiring minds want to know...... I skipped to the END of the episode and DB walks into the director's meeting after HK and JB have created havoc, and DB has donned his tiger outfit and is ready to expose/confront the fakers.;)

Archived