Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2019] Vagabond, 배가본드

@katakwasabi , @lightbringer06 and @Ameera Ali  :D

Thanks for sharing the photo of the actor (Yoo Teo) , i was shocked too when comparing him in AC drama (Ragazeu). He is my fave Neanthal too. He is quite suitable in this killing role because of his swift action, same in AC drama. Thanks god, he has more screen time in this drama, unlike in AC, he died in first EP. :crazy:.

1. The Stunning act in EP1 reminded me of Jackie Chan movie.

2. The dynamic storytelling reminded me of the IRIS drama, designed to adapt to social-connected multi-platform world where story can relate widely to the audience.

3. The crush of the airplane reminded me of the MH370 plane crush and went missing. The conspiracy comes with many versions and still under investigation and unknown yet. 

I am not sure how the story heading to, but definitely involving the politics and focuses on the conspiracy theory that revolving the NIS agents and the international spy/agents. My favorite genre of drama. i hope it goes well as we move along. :)

• Like 13

“Vagabond” Pulls No. 1 Ratings For 2nd Episode; “Arthdal Chronicles” And “Mother Of Mine” Gear Up For Their Finales

Sep 22, 2019
by E. Cha
93d4bf691eb549fe9cdff3e86dabd0fb.jpeg?s=

The battle for weekend drama ratings continues to be as fierce as ever!

SBS’s new drama “Vagabond” appears to be off to a stable start: on September 21, the second episode of the action thriller starring Lee Seung Gi and Suzy maintained its position at first place in its time slot. According to Nielsen Korea, the drama’s second broadcast scored average nationwide ratings of 5.8 percent, 8.1 percent, and 10.3 percent for its three parts, performing similarly to the series premiere from the night before.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1353974wpp/vagabond-pulls-no-1-ratings-for-2nd-episode-arthdal-chronicles-and-mother-of-mine-gear-up-for-their-finales

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

Wow @Sarang21 , you make me spelled my coffee, was he that crazy :joy:

something special for you :mrgreen::joy: 

Yeah he was that kind of crazy :joy:

Thank you for the gif...but he is still making me so confused...I hate his character but also love that he survived past the second episode and that I will get to see him more compared to his previous drama... :persevere::joy: 

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

I'm still reeling by the fact that SSR aka Ki Tae Woong hasn't appeared. And I have to wait another week for him. I have yet to continue ep 2, will do it sometime soon hopefully.

Meanwhile...I digged a bit about Yoo Teo aka Jerome aka the bad guy. Here are some pics of him that I found~ heh

He looks so different. Softer and paler than Jerome. He reminds me of SSR outside of dramas. Hahahaha

This was from VB wrap up party.

0003559787_001_20190524195002778.jpg&typ

Some other photos

2019061901001293700089061_20190618141010

• Like 8

So far, the show is handling the espionage bit pretty well. It is very obvious who brought down the plane and for what reason but not too clear on who exactly is involved and what the chain of command is or how deeply corrupt the society.  But we can hazard a guess. I hope the revelation doesn’t disappoint... that would bomb the show. Pun intended heh. 

How does one earn 18 Martial arts degrees? Is that why LSG’s character can parkour, scale walls and leap like a gazelle? The only thing left for him to do is fly.

Does Suzy’s character fight? Or is she going to be like a modern archer with a gun? So LSG is somewhat her bodyguard while she’s the one with intelligence. I see where this might be going ... hmmm. 

I like how the dots are connected pretty quickly to determine that the crash was a terrorist act. I am amazed at how many languages a secret agent needs to know -  not sure why but it looked to me that the sunbae was sounding Spanish out? At the lab, it was a translation but the sunbae was too?

The pacing is fantastic - 1 hr flew right by. The subtitling is excellent this round. Phew, I hope they keep it up.

• Like 10

Am4uJHT.jpg

Hlg3zXE.jpg

2006/Aug/05

CDG and GHS had job interview/audition on the same day back in 2006. ;)

• Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

Just watched ep1.... aigooo... let his nephew survive!! Pleaseeeeeeee......

How the heck did that guy survive a plane crash!

I like LSG's haircut here... :)

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Seoulmemories said:

I like that they use an Arabic music as background, add to the exoticness of the whole show.

7 hours ago, findit said:

I love OST and BGMs too! 

<Vagabond> music director is Hyeseung Nam, one of the most successful MDs in the k-drama industry. She was the music director of <Goblin> as well.

I thought I'm the only one digging the BGM and OST .. ha ha.. Hope we can hear more lovely songs and BGMs as I see that the music director is the same with Goblin... niceu~!

7 hours ago, Ellander88 said:

Yo! Good to see you here too! I gotta move on from the previous drama, though I am still having the withdrawal syndrome with that drama (u know which drama, haha!).

Anyway, that's why I was wondering and curious if she is a double agent. I didn't point finger to her yet as the double agent. Too early to tell. Maybe for now she is on the good side, who knows what her character development will be.  Hehe.  :)

But, it's interesting to see they show the process she tried to piece together the conversation from the video and from the black box. 

HAHA... me too! Reason why I stopped visiting the thread for me to move on^^.

Wouldn't it be more interesting if we do have a double agent? That is why I am already very curious about that desert opening scene. Did CDG actually become a soldier? Assasin? And why was the target Haeri?.... hmmm.. juicy :lol: Bet the romance will be too.. kekeke

6 hours ago, thistle said:

I had to stop for a minute because I was laughing so hard when I saw the name on GHR's fake Japanese passport:  Nagasawa Masami.

I've watched a whole lot more JDoramas than I have KDramas, so I knew who she was right away: 

LOL.... i totally forgot to mention that. I thought I was the only one who noticed it. I even paused the vid when I was watching it to make sure I actually read Nagasawa Masami.. ha ha. One of the most versatile J-actress for me^^. Not sure if they deliberately used that name or just a coincidence but the name isn't that common so I guess it's intentional. Maybe the writer/director is a fan of her.. hehe

6 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

He is quite suitable in this killing role because of his swift action, same in AC drama. Thanks god, he has more screen time in this drama, unlike in AC, he died in first EP. :crazy:.

It's quite contradicting that you don't wanna see more of him here since he's a villain, while in that other drama, you were so upset that they killed him off in ep 1.. ha ha.. as you wanna see more of him^^. But glad to see him have more screentime here. This is his second drama after AC. I saw that he's also a filmmaker. Found his insta since Suzy is following him too.

4 hours ago, choiwj720 said:

I am so completely lost >.<

Why were those guys after Michael?? Why'd they kill him? Was it his own people (John & Mark)?

That would be one of the mysteries to be unraveled. 

• Like 9

R5bmLDr.jpg

So CDG digged GHR’s underwear box 

No wonder Haeri slapped him on the face hard :lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

6 hours ago, Sarang21 said:

Yeah he was that kind of crazy :joy:

Thank you for the gif...but he is still making me so confused...I hate his character but also love that he survived past the second episode and that I will get to see him more compared to his previous drama... :persevere::joy: 

I want him to stay too :yum: 

but sad oppa lost this beautiful nephew because of him  :persevere:

Watching their Memories was hard 

• Like 1
  • Sad 10

5d877b8668603529018224.gif?download

He spoke so soon , now he need to give him his bank account in heaven  :mrgreen::joy:

3b8d40.gif

• Like 5
  • LOL 10

22 hours ago, findit said:

I adore CGD and am already rooting for him but I have to agree with you. He should calm down a little bit. That action could put him in foreign jail for life. Understandable considering his situation, but still.

We all know GD is a stuntman but he should start using more of his brains and less of his muscle lol coz this people he's is dealing with are not a joke they will try to cover up at any cost. Maybe even the president is involved. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, choiwj720 said:

I am so completely lost >.<

Why were those guys after Michael?? Why'd they kill him? Was it his own people (John & Mark)?

Basically it's a matter of a push to win a very lucrative government arms contract, and the passenger plane was collateral damage.

I think that Michael's death was by own people.  J&M were willing to do absolutely anything to get the fighter plane contract.  The passenger airplane was blown up so that it would look like the operating systems from Dynamic were faulty.  That question about reliability could change the opinion of government for J&M (which had more expensive fighters) to get the deal instead of Dynamic which had better and cheaper fighters. 

But Michael intended to alert the authorities that the airplane was sabotaged.  He tried to report it but his cell phone was hacked and he couldn't make the call.  So he was killed to shut him up before he could tell the truth or give a warning. 

At the end of the day, at least Michael had a conscience.  Kinda sorry he's dead.

The question for me is who killed him.  It was a woman wearing a dark coat.  Could that have been his colleague from J&M?  Or was it GHR?  We clearly saw her throw a coat over the chair when she got home, and it looked like the same one the assassin was wearing.

• Like 6

Hello All! I just watched episode 1 and I gotta say, that was an experience. Cried the first episode already, as soon as I knew it was his nephew on the place my heart fell. And the lady with her baby names... 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, roxnilla7 said:

Cried the first episode already

Glad to know I wasn't the only one.  Poor little Hoon!  :tears:

• Like 5

Warning: These articles may contain some minor spoilers.

Netflix's 'Vagabond' Is Unlike Your Regular K-Drama

Political intrigue, espionage, and government conspiracies abound!
by Maggie Adan | 17 hours ago

k-drama-vagabond-1568959754.jpg

PHOTO: Lee Seunghee for Netflix

On a recent press junket in Seoul, South Korea, Bae Suzy, fair, long, and lean, and Lee Seung Gi, tall and dark oppa, sat down with Cosmopolitan to talk about Vagabond.

Very much in keeping with the show's themes of espionage and conspiracies, the latest K-drama on Netflix is so shrouded in mystery, very little was revealed even to the press who flew out to Seoul to interview its stars. And the little that we did know, we were sworn to secrecy.

At the press con, Bae Suzy admits, "When I was first offered a role and read the script, I was immediately very much intrigued. I [had] never done an espionage action genre, so I felt curious about what it [would] be like, and I felt excited. I was totally fascinated by the character of Go Hae-ri, so I wanted to play the role."

Meanwhile, Lee Seung Gi reveals he was on board the moment he heard about the show, "Slightly before I finished my military service, I was having dinner [and] drinks with director Yu and director of photography Lee. I heard that they were preparing for this series called Vagabond. At that time I was completely into anything military, so I said the series sounded so fun, and the rest is history."

190829-netflix0582-r1-1568959836.jpg

PHOTO: Lee Seunghee for Netflix

What We Know So Far

In Vagabond, Lee Seung Gi plays stuntman Cha Dael-geon, who uncovers a government conspiracy when a plane crashes in Morocco and kills everyone on board, including his young nephew. According to investigations into the incident, the crash was due to a technical malfunction, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Heartbroken and guilt-ridden, Cha Dael-gon continues to search for answers. As he does, he begins to unravel a plot that exposes government corruption up to the highest level. On his mission to find out what really happened, he crosses paths with Go Hae-ri, played by Bae Suzy, who was working at the Korean embassy in Morocco when the plane crashed…and is also an undercover agent for the National Intelligence Service (NIS). Is she friend or foe? Only time will tell.

Meanwhile, Cha Dael-gon needs to dodge government agents and hired assassins hot on his trail before they can stop him from uncovering the truth.

Unlike the K-dramas that Filipino fans usually get hooked on (i.e. the feel-good rom-com variety), this spy thriller is filled with action and political drama. But Lee Seung Gi and Bae Suzy reassure viewers that they still left a little room for romance. "Vagabond has many different genres mixed in it. We have a bit of romance, too," says Bae Suzy.

"About a spoonful," says Lee Seung Gi in jest.

"Maybe about two spoons, so stay tuned," counters Bae Suzy.

Seung Gi And Suzy Reunited

Spoiler

The two share an easy and obvious rapport, having worked together before in the 2013 romance fantasy Gu Family Book. Says Lee Seung Gi of their reunion, "I think many people are curious about how we felt working together again. [It] doesn't happen so often that you get to work with an actor that [you've] worked with [before]."

Aside from getting to skip the awkward getting-to-know-you stage, Lee Seung Gi appreciated how their growth as actors in the years since they've worked together paved the way for a more smooth-sailing working relationship this time around. He says, "It was so great. We already knew each other. For those years in between, both of our acting careers matured, so it was a lot easier to shoot a scene together."

Bae Suzy, so soft-spoken you have to physically lean in to hear her at times, adds, "We were able to meet up again, years later, for a great series. I was so happy to see him again. I felt way more comfortable on set, and we made a great team."

"They had great chemistry, perhaps because they had already built a relationship while filming Gu Family Book together," says Director Yu in a separate interview. He praises the pair for being likable, candid and not the type to put on airs. "When filming, the mood on set is determined not only by the crew but by the personalities of the lead actors, too. And in that sense, both Lee Seung Gi and Suzy are very down-to-earth, determined, and hard-working people. They managed to surprise me again and again," he adds.

Moroccan Flavor

It's a good thing they work well together, too, as filming took them from Seoul to Morocco, which brought with it its own set of challenges. Bae Suzy confesses it was not easy in the beginning, "We spent about [one and a half] months in Morocco. At first, it was a bit awkward, hard to adapt, and uncomfortable at times." But she was able to adjust eventually, revealing, "[As time went by], it felt more like home."

She also mentions how the location helped sharpen her focus and give her energy. "Anywhere you look was so picturesque, so I was able to immerse myself into acting even more."

Like Bae Suzy, Lee Seung Gi says that spending time on location in Morocco helped his performance, "This was the first time for me to go on an overseas [shoot] for such a long time. Since I was living there, eating there, and filming there, I was naturally able to focus better and engage in shooting in a different condition from when I was shooting in Korea."

According to Director Yu, they filmed in the same location as The Bourne Ultimatum and a season of 24 with Jack Bauer. "We wanted our Korean production to be on a similarly grand scale," Yu says, adding, "I found that Monaco was very exotic, and was a great place for filming."

Aside from the location, Vagabond shared a location manager with the Bourne series as well, "They didn't know what to expect from a Korean drama team at first. And then they saw our footage—its quality—and the way we work; and I can proudly say that we finished everything on schedule while shooting there. They were very surprised by that," reveals Lee Seung Gi.

He also recalls an amusing little anecdote: "When we were shooting at night in Morocco, some fans came along and gave us some snacks, which made the [location manager] think, 'Who are these people? This never even happened with Matt Damon.'"

Getting Physical

Aside from the inherent difficulties shooting in a far-flung and unfamiliar location entail, there was also the physical demands of their roles. When you have to do action scenes with a fellow actor, training and great teamwork come into play.

"Suzy and I trained at action school every day for about two to three months. Also, I wouldn't call this a huge preparation, but fundamentally, I had to get my body ready for action, so I prepared a lot in that regard," says Lee Seung Gi.

Bae Suzy recounts how training not only helped them prepare physically for everything they had to do while filming, it also boosted camaraderie. She says, "We practiced action scenes a lot all together before shooting. We would exercise and go hiking on a not-so-high mountain together, which brought us closer. I think such time created a good atmosphere and chemistry on set."

Director Yu says of the action scenes, "All the actors really went through a lot. The martial arts team took on the role of action coordinator. Dangerous stunts were done by stunt doubles, and the less dangerous ones were done by the actual actors themselves. But the scene in which the main character jumps off of a building and the scene in which he is hanging off a car were actually done by Lee Seung Gi himself."

He continues, "Because both Lee Seun Gi and Suzy attended stunt classes and trained regularly to stay fit and flexible, neither suffered any serious injuries during filming."

Going Global

For Yu, it's nerve-wracking enough to premiere Vagabond to a Korean audience, let alone to an international one, but he believes the show's universal themes will appeal even to viewers outside Korea: "This espionage action drama is not about international issues or inter-Korean relations. The setting may be in Korea, but the events could happen anywhere, and we believe that love of family, and the will and drive for uncovering the truth are themes that are relatable no matter what country you are watching from. It's a universal story, and I hope people will keep an open mind and approach it as such."

Lee Seung Gi thinks that Vagabond is a fun series that people will enjoy watching, and is excited that the opportunity to release the series on Netflix means more people around the world will see it. "I feel eternally proud that this excellent piece of work made in Korea can reach global audiences. I have high expectations for the viewers' reaction," he says.

Bae Suzy is equally hopeful fans will embrace the series, saying, "I feel very excited. Vagabond is a rich series, full of spectacles and charming characters."

Come September 20, you will be able to see the fruits of their labor on Netflix. There are more twists and turns to be revealed, and surprises in store. The show's creators promise thrilling action, political drama, romance, and humor—or as Lee Seung Gi put it, a mixture of genres.

https://www.cosmo.ph/entertainment/netflix-k-drama-vagabond-interview-bae-suzy-lee-seung-gi-a1204-20190922-lfrm

No drama like ‘Vagabond’

Ruth L. Navarra

SEOUL—It took 11 months to shoot the newest Netflix Original series “Vagabond.” It’s the same total of months that artists Lee Seung-gi and Suzy Bae had been teasing their fans about the series.

It’s all over their respective Instagram accounts. Suzy posted her staring contest with a cat in Morocco. We think she lost to the orange tabby because the cat did not budge while she broke into a smile. We also know that the actress spent her birthday shooting because she shared a video of her blowing out a cake’s candles after exploring the streets of the country.

Seung-gi, on the other hand, has been teasing about it most consistently. Not content with his regular “Vagabond” Instagram posts, he also talked about the series on his variety show “All the Butlers.” This is how Airens (Seung-gi’s fandom) were updated about the drama.

t0915super-vagabond12.jpg

“Vagabond” director Yu In-sik said that they have been eyeing the actor for the part of Cha Dal-geon as soon as he joined the Special Forces. The series is about a stunt man seeking answers as to why his nephew had to die in an airplane crash. His journey reveals an conspiracy and corruption.

“I told him I’d like to shoot an action drama with him. He said that he’d love to. We were very fortunate to cast him for the role,” In-sik said. He also said that the production team have been formulating this drama about four or five years ago.

The director described having Suzy in the series as icing on the cake. He added that the project took off because of her. Super interviewed Seung-gi and Suzy on Sept. 11 at the Imperial Palace Hotel, Seoul. We had to ask the actress about her thoughts on working in this drama.

“This was the first time for me to work on an espionage action drama genre, so every moment of shooting was exciting for me. I really enjoyed it. Every time that I went on set was full of fun. It was exciting to do gun-shooting scenes,” Suzy said while making heart- pounding gestures.

Chemistry on set

There are a lot of expectations about the chemistry of the two lead artists as the drama serves as a reunion of sorts for them. They worked together in the drama “Gu Family Book” six years ago.

Suzy promised that their chemistry for this action series is better than the first time. She had great memories from working with Seung-gi in the past which is why she was excited to work with him again.

“It is not so easy to work with the same actress for the second time, especially if the actress is a household name like Suzy. I was so happy to work with her again on ‘Vagabond.’ Her acting was great but I know this already from six years ago. There were many scenes that were physically demanding but she didn’t frown even once,” Seung-gi said.

During the press conference for the series on Sept. 16 at SBS Headquarters, a journalist asked the actor what sets his character Dal-geon apart from the other action genre character.

Seung-gi answered that the biggest difference is that his character is an ordinary person. He is not a trained, retired or amnesiac agent who is physically trained as a spy. He added the director Yu refrained from doing unnecessary scenes just for the sake of it.

“His motivation comes solely from his heart. When we were shooting in Morocco, my character would run on the roof, drive a car and was supposed to drive a motorcycle, too. On site, though, director Yu said we should completely remove motorcycle scenes because it is too fancy. An ordinary man would just run,” Seung-gi said.

He added that they made an effort to create action scenes from which the audience can feel the emotions. This is what sets “Vagabond” from the rest. He said that this is why he did not have much to refer to or take from other action characters.

Loving her role

On the same press conference, Suzy talked about how she fell in love with her character Hae-ri. She said that it was a love at first reading.

Suzy’s character Hae-ri is a National Intelligence Service agent. In the opening scene of the series, we see Seung-gi aiming a gun at her but hesitates when he sees that the target is her. How their lives intertwine is something everyone will find out as the drama progresses.

Super asked her if she could ever be friends with her character Hae-ri if she meets her.

“Hae-ri can be a good friend. I think she is a very passionate person. She has this wonderful personality inside her, which she isn’t even aware of. It can be completely different from what she thinks of herself; so yes, I think I can be friends with Hae-ri,” she said.

“She’s all good, but she has some bad drinking habits,” Seung-gi piped in.

“Hae-ri has some drinking habits but this is a spoiler!” said Suzy while laughing.

“This is a spoiler, yes. You can check that out on the show,” Seung-gi said.

https://lifestyle.inquirer.net/346247/no-drama-like-vagabond/amp/

(Contains ultra high resolution images)

Edited by triplem
Long post to go into spoiler
  • Like 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 4