[Drama 2019] Vagabond, 배가본드

larus

I think this is the most action packed KDrama i have ever seen.. it is on par with some action American series. One thing is still funny is how they censor the knife but not the gun...so its ok to shoot people but stabbing is bad?

And how everyone can just be bought is insane. I know it is dramaland but it seems an "agent" or "cleaner" is on standby for every scene...especially fishy in the  aircontroller place.

It is interesting who the NIS spy is though and i felt weird why SSR didn't think about the comment from episode 3 on how him declaring the security confiscation cause the hack/video to be removed.  I mean if it is not him, he should know who told him about it ?

And man the main squad is so dumb to be so trusting of every stranger they meet. I mean the negotiator they met like one time and they willingly stay at his "safe house"? 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, shaselai said:

the main squad is so dumb to be so trusting of every stranger they meet. I mean the negotiator they met like one time and they willingly stay at his "safe house"? 

IKR!! It’s still acceptable for me if it were just CDG who went to him, but the two NIS agents went too?? When Park offered them his place, I am actually beginning to suspect him as being in cahoots with the whole plane crash thing ~ the sayings “keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer”

And I just want to say I love how ep.4 ended :glasses:

58 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

IKR!! It’s still acceptable for me if it were just CDG who went to him, but the two NIS agents went too?? When Park offered them his place, I am actually beginning to suspect him as being in cahoots with the whole plane crash thing ~ the sayings “keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer”

And I just want to say I love how ep.4 ended :glasses:

well the negotiator was in cahoots way before that? thought he was shown his colors the first/2nd episode? Yeah totally loved the ending of episode 4 - it wouldve been better if he had said something though.

and it is weird why CDG has to be killed "naturally" when they are killing other people left and right. They could easily off him and clean up the mess. 

You'' find me near the start of this thread being so hyped about this show but the start has been so disappointing.

Obvious plotholes, the FL being both annoying and just dumb (how is she any kind of agent), LSG overacting as he always does especially with his constant shouting (I feel like he has been doing this for years, how has he not realised?), cringe characters (the female assassin).

It's currently a much worse version of Iris with no Lee Byung-hun to carry it.

Kill It and now this. Not a good year for action dramas.

6 hours ago, shaselai said:

well the negotiator was in cahoots way before that? thought he was shown his colors the first/2nd episode? Yeah totally loved the ending of episode 4 - it wouldve been better if he had said something though.

and it is weird why CDG has to be killed "naturally" when they are killing other people left and right. They could easily off him and clean up the mess. 

It was suggested, but I wasn’t suspicious yet because it could be a red herring. But now I don’t trust him. 

Agree on this too. Why it has to be a natural death.... with his reckless way of handling things, it’s so easy to make up acceptable reasons for his death. And staging a car accident? That too can easily qualify and be investigated as foul play... :huh:

23 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

As mentioned in my earlier post, this drama is similar to Jackie Chan's movies, usually come with action and comedy genre, a typical entertaining storyline, we can't expect much with the substance storyline that we prefer. I like IRIS 1st drama, i tend to compare but i stopped it because i know they are different genre. There are a variety of reasons to tell stories — to inspire, to entertain, to sell, or to educate the audience. There may be pretty complicated topic to describe to the typical audience. 

I can accept that most drama stories have flaws and that one drama can't fit all type of audience.  I will simply sit back and relax watching the funny moment of this drama. Less expectation, less disappointment. Sometimes, life will give us surprises if we have the least expectation. :D

It's not my intention to keep bashing on Vagabond and take away anyone's joy of watching this if they're quite happy with the product thus far. ;)  I wouldn't say the drama is bad. Not at all. Personally I'm sufficiently entertained... but for a show that looks this good, has a decent budget and cast, it's clear why the expectations exist. (Personally I didn't have any)

You brought up the Jackie Chan movies as a form of comparison. Okay, I can see why you might. But I don't quite agree. I know when I watch Jackie Chan more or less what to expect. Except for Namiya. ;)Jackie does 2 hour flicks in many instances and no sooner does the story begin, it more or less ends. So its sins are easy to overlook and forgivable. However, Vagabond is a 16 episode drama and speaking for myself, I'm largely concerned that we'll be seeing 10 more episodes of the same o'l, same o'l. Besides I would also argue that Vagabond is tonally confusing in a way that Jackie's movies aren't. It wants us to take it seriously because a plane load of people died and the male lead is justifiably deadly serious and paranoid. The humour, on the other hand, doesn't land well considering the context and who is supposed to deliver the humour. 

I don't think anyone here is denying that generic differences exist. But what I will say is that there are good examples of the genre and bad ones. There are good reasons why, for instance, the first 2 Die Hard films  are classics (showing my age here) because they are tightly written action films containing a good story. They're also bleakly humorous as well but they are done in a witty, contextually appropriate way.

My impression is that people want to like the show and for a whole variety of reasons, it isn't doing it for them. 

2 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Agree on this too. Why it has to be a natural death.... with his reckless way of handling things, it’s so easy to make up acceptable reasons for his death. And staging a car accident? That too can easily qualify and be investigated as foul play... :huh:

It is really odd to me as well. 

They seem to be bringing more attention to the whole thing than they need to. Boggles the mind.

Thanks for sharing your opinion in a different light, my dear. :):wub:

Don't worry, my pretty chingu, each person has the every right to have different points of view especially when choosing drama to view.  Everyone has set their own classification in mind. As mentioned, one drama genre may not fit in to all. I agreed that this drama has flaws and the story written is not what we expect so far, but is there any twist or climax in the end, yet to find out......but since i have chosen this drama mainly for entertaining purpose, so I don't really care in details anymore. I agreed with you it may be sad and frustrated for someone who cares alot for this pre-produced drama, but once you zoom out your view and look into different light, you can do many things to this drama : Mindset fine-tuning is one of them. No need to be too serious when watching an entertaining drama.

I once disappointed with a drama story but this drama was so well received by many people , especially the lead couple may be receiving award soon. I still continue watching till the end although I don't really enjoy that drama much. But it's my choice.

Some friends once told me : I don't want to invest so much time on this type of drama. Yes, the choice is ours, we can drop it halfway or continue watching, everyone's opinion and decision are different and we need to respect that. 

God creates disparity for human to make the world wonderful as it complement each other because of different views. In many areas, we need divergent thinking to help generate creative ideas by exploring many possible solutions, otherwise we will look like robot, every opinion becomes the same. Perhaps you could wait and finish all the ep first and see whether there is any twist or surprise plot in the end....yet to find out:w00t: :D

Same, I wondered why Dal Geon and the two female NIS agents immediately trusted Edward Park.  It felt too careless, and sudden.  Why was Park suddenly part of their inner circle?  In fact I felt that the plane crash details for now should only he between DG and HR and maybe Mr Gang from NIS.  Also, Lily said that Park was going to be one of her clients, but it did not push through.  Forgot if it was because Jessica offered a higher pay.  So who was the person that Park was planning to have assassinated, if it were true?

I did think that they could easily killed Dalgun if they want to. The easiest would be if they just hijacked his ride from incheon airport instead of trying to tase him with ring taser in the airport. Hahaha!

I feel that this show is just being pure entertainment. It's as if the writer is having fun and lumping all sorts of action on stuntman Dalgun. Since stuntmen do ridiculous stunts for dramas, why not make a drama with a stuntman at the forefront and let him go against the world. Good thing is, Dalgun is kinda rootable. I don't like him running around creating havoc and not thinking about his actions...but he's just rootable, especially after he lost Hoon (might also be because it's LSG hahaha).

I think I've written this before...I like that I can see that this drama has a big budget. As of ep 4, the budget is translated on my screen with all the stunts, explosions, car flips, locations, accidents, fruit mash, veggie crush, shootings etc2. It's not usually seen in kdramas (or the dramas I watched). And Vagabond is streching it to a new level of over the topness. Lol. A safe house made out of glass with no curtains. A assassin lady spying and not actually killing and making a mess instead of being hidden. Kekekeke.

Bts for Dalgun's car accident. Cool beans!!

1 hour ago, cherriesblue said:

Same, I wondered why Dal Geon and the two female NIS agents immediately trusted Edward Park.  It felt too careless, and sudden.  Why was Park suddenly part of their inner circle?  In fact I felt that the plane crash details for now should only he between DG and HR and maybe Mr Gang from NIS.  Also, Lily said that Park was going to be one of her clients, but it did not push through.  Forgot if it was because Jessica offered a higher pay.  So who was the person that Park was planning to have assassinated, if it were true?

I need to check the English translation, but the impression I got from Chinese subs, the way she referred to Park is the same way she referred to CDG. So Park was the hit target, not the employer. And the reason she stated I think it that he is too much of a jerk? (I’ll come back to edit after checking the English subs)

Edit:

This is what Lily said ~ “He could’ve been my client, but I say no. He is a real SoB”

Anyway, if Park once wanted to engage Lily to do a job, then maybe that’s why he purposely put CDG at an all glass window curtain less safe house, knowing how she works, thus indirectly but deliberately trying to get CDG killed too. 

Vagabond: Episode 3

by LollyPip

Vagabond03-00004.jpg

Our grieving hero sure has managed to get himself into a whole lot of trouble, hasn’t he? He’s reckless with sorrow and anger, but if he doesn’t learn to manage his emotions, he’s going to make things a whole lot worse. The deeper our stuntman digs into his nephew’s death, the more dangerous the situation grows, and I’m worried he’s going to get himself or someone else killed before he accomplishes his goal.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/10/vagabond-episode-3/

I'm questioning if this character chart is legit. According to this chart KTW is Edward Park's son. But...his surname is different, unless Ki Tae Woong is a fake name. 

I know Ki Tae Woong is rich and possibly a chaebol...however according to his official character description his dad is a hospital chief and his mum is a university professor. Edward Park is a weapon lobbyist, he doesn't fit the description....well unless he's also working double duty, hospital chief by day, weapon lobbyist at night. Hahahaha!!!

https://m.programs.sbs.co.kr/drama/vagabond/cast/60779#0_2

I read some griming about the over the top characters and feels the need to chime in.

When I found out that the writers for Vagabond were Empress Ki's writers, I was surprised. Never knew historical drama writers can be action/thriller writers. They are a couple, so there is balance perspectives from both a man and a woman angle.

If you have watched Empress Ki, you will know how dramatic and over the top the palace plotting was. I think their style maybe too much for a modern action/drama. Fortunately there are only 16eps here, so they can't throw in more exaggeration.

My own grime is the stark contrast between the beautifully choreographed outdoor action scenes and the unusually dark indoor scenes. The director seems to be very fond of dark rooms, so even the presidential office is so freaking lack of light!. They just look like they are on a set, 100%! Looks like they spent the bulk of budget overseas n in action scenes. The indoor office setups are pretty pathetic looking.

It seems like they will be on the mode of some investigation, then end the ep with some action to improve the ratings. It may get too predictable in this sense.

I hope the love line between Dalgun n Haeri developed faster, there was so much emphasis between these two, I was just taken aback by the interception of Shin Sung Rok. Am quite fond of him but let the main loveline blossom!

4 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

I'm questioning if this character chart is legit. According to this chart KTW is Edward Park's son. But...his surname is different, unless Ki Tae Woong is a fake name. 

The charts says 'biological father'. Most logical explanation would be KTW's mom had him out of wedlock and given him her surname or he was adopted and raised by the hospital chief and the university professor. I wonder if KTW knows EP is his father. 

Suzy And Shin Sung Rok Have A Mysterious Library Encounter In “Vagabond”

Oct 2, 2019
by M. Dang

9c34eed5461942a49e524d404e5af8b2.jpeg?s=

Suzy and Shin Sung Rok are a duo shrouded in secrets in images for SBS’s “Vagabond”!

“Vagabond” tells the story of a stuntman named Cha Dal Gun (played by Lee Seung Gi) who stumbles upon a massive corruption scandal while trying to uncover the hidden truth behind a mysterious plane crash. He ends up investigating the case alongside National Intelligence Service (NIS) secret agent Go Hae Ri (played by Suzy).

The newly-released images pique viewers’ curiosity with the chilly atmosphere between Go Hae Ri and Ki Tae Woong (played by Shin Sung Rok) as they encounter each other in a dark library. Go Hae Ri is particularly suspicious with her all-black outfit, and when she discovers Ki Tae Woong among the shelves, the two share an intense conversation.

This library scene was shot at Kyunghee University Library in Seoul. The production team shared that Suzy brightened the mood on set as she chatted with the staff and made everyone laugh. Meanwhile, Shin Sung Rok contrasted his taciturn image in the drama by amiably approaching everyone on set and cheering them on.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1356255wpp/suzy-and-shin-sung-rok-have-a-mysterious-library-encounter-in-vagabond

3 hours ago, imgreatgal said:

The charts says 'biological father'. Most logical explanation would be KTW's mom had him out of wedlock and given him her surname or he was adopted and raised by the hospital chief and the university professor. I wonder if KTW knows EP is his father. 

Oh!!! This is makjang! Weekend drama material hahaha :lol: . But your explanation makes sense.

There are so many characters, I don't think making KTW related to Edward Park is beneficial or serves anything for Dalgun's plot since he is the main character and the drama revolves around Dalgun and his loss. I'm already speculating Dalgun's older bro is KTW's partner (possibly also his mentor and senior). Hehe

And...when will KTW meet Dalgun? I thought they will meet in Morocco to investigate the plane crash in the early eps but KTW never came and an investigation was never made. 

I wonder what will make KTW and his team go to Morocco. And how will Dalgun follow them there and how will they work together~~~ i also expect Dalgun to be banned from flying into Morocco after the mess he made during his first visit. Hahahaha!

Archived