[Drama 2019] Vagabond, 배가본드

larus

I was reading some reviews and found an interesting point that I've not noticed while I was watching Episode 1. 

All the action sequences and reckless terrorist chasing/fist fighting of CDG seem to be intentionally put together. Even though he was a civilian, he already experienced all similar actions during movie filming in his stuntman days - which was shown at the beginning of the episode. You can find 1-1 matching for most action scenes. 

Jumping off from a building (stunt action) - jumping off from a roof (Morocco),

Getting hit by a brick on the head (stunt action) - getting hit by a flowerpot (Morocco)

...and so on :o

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished episode 2, man what an emotional episode with the victims of the plane crash, I can’t help but cry, and the pilot was an accomplice, my gosh what a revaluation. I like the pace of the story now that HR is getting involve in the situation. DG is really quite a tough cookie, he is so sticky to the situation. Very hot headed and he is not going anywhere with his attitude, anyway can’t wait for their character development 

Vagabond: Episode 1

by LollyPip

Vagabond01-00438.jpg

Lee Seung-gi and Suzy are reunited in SBS and Netflix’s new action-thriller, Vagabond. This is more than just a show full of action sequences and intrigue – though there are plenty of those – it also threatens to break your heart from the very beginning. An uncle’s devastating loss leads to the discovery that there may be more to the tragedy than it seems, and one young woman could be the key to the truth… or the orchestrator of death.

EPISODE 1 RECAP

morehttp://www.dramabeans.com/2019/09/vagabond-episode-1/

In episode 2 at around the 47 minute mark,  when the man in black the one who crashed the plane received a message from his laptop,  the name of the sender is not in Arabic,  it is in Hebrew letters.    I also do not think of the man as a terrorist, but hired by the company to destroy the name of Dynamic System.  We'll see...

By the way recognized the actors who played Dr Song and Dr In Soo from Dr. Romantic Teacher Kim.  The nrgotiator is the actor who played the chairman of Hanjo in Stranger.  Prime Minister is the deputy hospital director in Life.

2 hours ago, cherriesblue said:

In episode 2 at around the 47 minute mark,  when the man in black the one who crashed the plane received a message from his laptop,  the name of the sender is not in Arabic,  it is in Hebrew letters.    I also do not think of the man as a terrorist, but hired by the company to destroy the name of Dynamic System.  We'll see...

Good catch in noticing that detail! 

I agree that this disaster was caused by Dynamic and that it is industrial sabotage rather than terrorism.  That's a lot sadder really because it means all those innocent people died for corporate greed.

I find this article interesting~~ https://www.cinemaescapist.com/2019/09/review-vagabond-kdrama-netflix-suzy/

Snippet: Vagabond’s premise also reinforces South Korea’s ascendant geopolitical clout. Along with other recent K-dramas like Designated Survivor: 60 Days, Vagabond hints at Korea’s own version of the military-industrial complex.

Early on in the show, we learn that a shadowy defense contractor called John and Mark (perhaps inspired by Lockheed Martin with its compound name) likely caused the plane crash, in an effort to discredit top rival Dynamic Systems (seemingly an amalgam of General Dynamics and Boeing) in a competition to provide South Korea’s next generation fighter jet. Vagabond also contains various scenes set in the Blue House (Korea’s presidential office), hinting at how high the conspiracy might reach.

Conspiracies of such juicy nature—involving global defense contractors—only happen when countries with enough geopolitical and economic clout come into play. The fact that South Korean TV writers can naturally craft these conspiracies perhaps reflects the country’s middle power status in the real world. In fact, allegations of influence peddling clouded South Korea’s decision to select the F-35 as its next generation fighter, and top aerospace contractor Korea Aerospace Industries made headlines in 2017and 2018 over corruption charges.

2 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

an effort to discredit top rival

This really made me think of the recent drama WWW and the current drama Graceful Family.  Both of those deal with how public perception and personal opinion can be altered by those in power by manipulation of key search terms and by spamming news content.  

The skewing of information about the fighters in this drama is very similar because of corporate manipulation.  The public is reacting to what they are lead to believe but it isn't true at all, and people have been killed one company to get this reaction so that they can sell a contract.  

Dramas reflect what goes on in the world.  What is reflected with Vagabond is quite worrying, especially as it is in regards to the military.

We rely so much on the web and we can be too easily swayed by what we see.  We don't really know the reality of anything that is going on at any level.  What information is being invented that we know nothing of?  What lies are we buying?  It's a scary world. 

.....and it kinda looks like I flew off topic there, possibly.  Apologies.

Back to the show: 

I have a feeling that the time jump between 2012 and 2019 is likely to take place midway through the drama.  Maybe we'll have a lead-up with the leads forming a relationship that is abruptly broken with one of them trying to save the other.  (The trouble with dramas is that I tend to see how I would write them.  :P )

@Ameera Ali I am here!!! and hello also to the others!

So I skipped the plane crash scene because I just can't handle such scenes now. Little nephew gone to soon :(    I think I would've really enjoy watching the uncle-nephew relationship for this show.

Like many others, I couldn't stand the shaky camera and too much of close-ups during the fighting scenes... Come on, we want to see some awesome moves clearly. Other than that, the chase and run, fighting scenes, are cool.

My guess for the first scene is that both of them had a fall-out as they're almost reaching the result of their investigation into the plane crash conspiracy. Fall out could be due to manipulated circumstances by the higher ups that caused misunderstanding between them. I hope that it wouldn't be long before we come back to present time. I'd rather not watch too much of 2006 timeline. Most importantly ~ when will SSR appear? I'm guessing the current 2019 timeline, another reason I need the show to move faster back to first scene.

Overall, I enjoyed the drama and of course will continue to watch! ;)

5 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Most importantly ~ when will SSR appear?

The most important question! I was sad he did not appear in ep 1-2~ if he doesn't appear in ep 3....I'll riot! Hahahah

Where is he hiding?!

yo7xjW.gif

Ki Tae Woong come out a lot in future eps please~

QnjBMY.gif

Kekeke :lol:

28 minutes ago, katakwasabi said:

if he doesn't appear in ep 3....I'll riot! Hahahah

Definitely he will. He appeared in the ep3 preview for sure. I'm looking forward to it too! 

They uploaded another BTS clip full of cuteness :) 

(it's longer than this but I couldn't find full version)

5 Things We Liked & 2 Things We Hated About The Premiere Of “Vagabond”

Sep 25, 2019
by kaityv

dc387a8b3f3f4575b5a11d3376d0d838.jpeg?s=

KBS 2TV has released more previews for their upcoming drama “Beautiful Love Wonderful Life”!

“Beautiful Love Wonderful Life” is about the romance between Kim Chung Ah (Seol In Ah), a self-assertive woman studying for the civil service exam, and Goo Jun Hwi (Kim Jae Young), a mean-spirited man who doesn’t believe in marriage.

The upcoming drama will be lead by a stellar cast including Jo Yoon Hee, Yoon Park, Oh Min Seok, Kim Mi Sook, Park Young Gyu, Na Young Hee, Park Hae Mi, Jung Won Joong, Jo Woo Ri, Ryu Ui Hyun, CLC’s Eunbin, Kim Jin Yeop, and Lee Tae Sun. In the newly released main poster, the 15 cast members are gathered together and happily enjoying a party.

LOVED: The opening scene

The opening scene of the drama is full of intrigue. It starts out in a desert in North Africa, where Dal Gun is poised with a sniper rifle waiting for his target to arrive. At first, I thought it would be revealed to be a movie that he is working on as a stuntman, but then Hae Ri appears as his target. Dal Gun seems shocked and overwhelmed and hesitates to pull the trigger. His partner keeps yelling at him to take the shot, and the screen goes black just as a gunshot sounds.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1354054wpp/5-things-we-liked-2-things-we-hated-about-the-premiere-of-vagabond

Archived