Quantcast
larus

[Current Drama 2019] Vagabond, 배가본드 - Fri & Sat @ 22:00 KST

@choilicious nothing in VB is believable. The plot is actually too thin. The stakes don't feel high enough. I don't really understand what is going on about the plane crash and why it had to happen...I also don't understand why is it so hard for them to kill Dalgun. Dalgun needs to be in jail from the moment he started wrecking havoc in Morocco. It's not only a miracle he is alive...it's a miracle he's actually walking around as if he didn't do anything wrong. Tsk3

Imo Dalgun, a stuntman as the main focal is just not pulling it in. It feels like a replication of 'Foreigner' the Jackie Chan movie. But in that movie it actually felt believable, his daughter died in a bomb attack, and he went around wanting revenge. He wasn't just running around fighting, he used his brain and manufactured opportunities for an attack. And the villains in that movie were smart as the protagonist....now I want to rewatch the movie. Haha.

Dalgun on the other hand does not use his brain much. He's looking for someone to blame and he is blaming everyone, including the NIS team who were trying to uncover the mystery too. I'm not feeling Dalgun as a character. He feels empty. I feel sad when he remembers Hoon, but that sadness quickly transitions into annoyance when he starts to run around in adrenaline junkie mode.

Anyways...this is me trying to choke some sense and logic into VB plot...

XLpnGg.gif

But...logic is long gone hahahaha. I'll continue watching, despite it's senseless plot, the explosions and gunfights albeit not realistic is fun to watch. Also Ki Tae Woong. I'll stay as long as he's alive and not a richard simmons. Hahaha

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

9 hours ago, shaselai said:

I am a bit confused about the reporter plot. So it seems the Arbitrator is the guy pulling the strings with the reporter but isn't he on same side with Jessica? Why stir the pot with reporter information? And if the reporter was bait to kill the hero why give real info and give him thumbdrive???

The most logical reason is he is working with another organization to bring down jessica or he wants to bring her down? I am just confused on this part.

And the NIS chief flip-flopping is just ridiculous... i think in the end the gang will just release all relevant info to the public so that the president and others has to answer to the public since the president is so focus on his image. 

The arbitrator is Edward Park from dynamic System,  he is not on the same side as Jessica.  They are competitors, Dynamic and J&M, vying for the govt contract.

Jessica used to be a mentee of Park, but she later transferred to work at J&M.  

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

oh I missed a few pages and now we are into bashing the drama?

Well, I think for a big budget drama which took so long to film, yes the plot could have been stronger but I think they have always meant for it to be an action thriller, not understanding that most people can watch car crashes and explosions elsewhere so a strong story is still important. 

Perhaps due to the diffculty of the action scenes, they got carried away and allocated much time to these. Yeah the last ep was unbelievable. All those machine guns, all those bullets, but the main team survived! haha

Anyway, it is still an entertaining watch and I am fully invested in the main leads. Perhaps the Korean viewers were too, hence the kiss scenes of the lead garnered 13.2% vs last ep's 11.3% for the elaborate shooting scene. 

Of course on hindsight, it is easy to say they could have done this and that, but they have chosen the path they want to take. I just say all the best and fortunately, they are making money.:)

• Like 7

I am okay with unrealistic ability/survivability of DG. That kinda comes with the genre (see. John Wick).

When it comes to movie/TV show plots, there is the rule of main plot driver suspension of belief. Writers/show/movie asks the viewers to suspend belief for the one major plot device (super heroes exists, body switches, time travel, etc.), but rest of the world needs to be rooted in reality so that there is weight to character decision making and we actually care about what is happening. If anything and everything is possible, then none of the plot matters and people quickly lose interest.

THE main plot driver for this show was the fact that because J&M was about to lose a contract and there was no other way to get that contract without crashing a plane. That is VERY far fetched, but sure, whatever, let's go with it. From that point on, the show needed to revolve around that very central plot device. Now they are abandoning that without even a second thought, which means that whole central tenet of the show did not matter at all, which makes rest of the story pointless.

This is REALLY REALLY poor writing. And I cannot believe that a show of this renown cast and big budget has such terrible plot line.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

14 hours ago, cherriesblue said:

The arbitrator is Edward Park from dynamic System,  he is not on the same side as Jessica.  They are competitors, Dynamic and J&M, vying for the govt contract.

Jessica used to be a mentee of Park, but she later transferred to work at J&M.  

Yes he works at Dynamic BUT i thought he was on same side with Jessica. It is my impression he invited the gang to safe house for easy surveillance, lead him to reporter for assassination etc  It is a hard sell for me to believe he knowingly let his company lose the bid to take her down? He couldve taken her down by foiling her plan. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Saw this article on Naver. TV Report made an analysis on the ratings.

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/213/0001135683

Snippet (google translate)

"The reason why viewer ratings are not rising is that the truth behind terror and the process of tracking it are not three-dimensional compared to scale and action. It was also regrettable that the charm of the characters was not well revealed."

0001135683_002_20191015161015393.jpg

-------

I wonder if the 3 part system is affecting the ratings. I see kviewer comments saying to change it back to 2 parts. I don't know how ratings are calculated and I find it weird that they have 3 ratings per episode but only take the highest rating as the overall episode rating. Shouldn't it be averaged out like other drama ratings are? If it's averaged out, the average ratings will be even lower than it currently is. Just wondering. I really want Vagabond to do well. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Just managed to watch ep8. Just like to say this, GTW makes a good doctor but he looks hopeless in combat sigh!

• LOL 2

1 hour ago, imgreatgal said:

Just managed to watch ep8. Just like to say this, GTW makes a good doctor but he looks hopeless in combat sigh!

Lololol. Is it the hand to hand combat with Dalgun? If so... KTW can't win against him. Everyone needs to be lesser than Dalgun. The blue house bodyguards, the unkillables, NIS...are all lesser than Dalgun which is just sigh.

:sweatingbullets::lol:

Come on now Taewoong. Don't fall in the 2nd lead trap! Writernim don't serve us a cliche love triangle hahahahaha

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

@katakwasabi not only the hand to hand combat with DG, it just unbearable to watch him right from the time he arrested OSM till that shooting scene towards end of ep8. A team leader and a highly trained NIS agent transporting a most wanted criminal and he just went about it like he was going shopping or something. Apparently he must have been struck by the stupidity bug when the truck of doom rammed his vehicle in ep6 smh

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

Suzy Goes From Skillful Agent To Star Chef In “Vagabond”

Oct 16, 2019
by L. Kim
e9ff81f6788c4e8eb339bbd1abd2c7b9.jpeg?s=

“Vagabond” dropped stills of Suzy as a chef!

“Vagabond” tells the story of a stuntman named Cha Dal Gun (Lee Seung Gi) who stumbles upon a massive corruption scandal while trying to uncover the truth behind a mysterious plane crash. He teams up with a National Intelligence Service (NIS) secret agent named Go Hae Ri (Suzy) to investigate the case.

The stills show Go Hae Ri serving a warm meal to her NIS team members Cha Dal Gun, Ki Tae Woong (Shin Sung Rok), and Kim Se Hoon (Shin Seung Hwan). With a bright smile, Go Hae Ri walks to the table with a stew, sits next to Cha Dal Gun, and puts meat on his spoon full of rice. Ki Tae Woong watches the two with a strange look in his eyes, while Kim Se Hoon enjoys the meal with a satisfied expression.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1359202wpp/suzy-goes-from-skillful-agent-to-star-chef-in-vagabond

• Like 3

4 hours ago, imgreatgal said:

@katakwasabi not only the hand to hand combat with DG, it just unbearable to watch him right from the time he arrested OSM till that shooting scene towards end of ep8. A team leader and a highly trained NIS agent transporting a most wanted criminal and he just went about it like he was going shopping or something. Apparently he must have been struck by the stupidity bug when the truck of doom rammed his vehicle in ep6 smh

Hahahaha. Agreed. So many questionable and not smart stuff KTW did and also his team. I was like...why are these supposedly important NIS agents travelling in one plane to Morocco, then they convoyed to the airport. That made themselves an easy target. I laughed when the team went around running with a gun....why even? :sweatingbullets:

5QKM9Y.gif

I want him and his team to be smarter, alas the NIS in general is just not smart. Writernim do something. Huhuhu

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

9 hours ago, hush puppy said:

I only have one Question.  How does a drama of this Calibre gets into NetFlix ??:rolleyes:

I'm glad it's on Netflix, it makes it easier for me to watch legally.

And tbh, it is entertaining, the bombs, gunfights etc. Even the political stuff appeal to some viewers too. I may have comments here and there and some wishful plot dreams...but I'm not complaining about Netflix airing Vagabond. And for it to be aired in about 190 countries, with multiple language subs and dubs is a feat for a kdrama. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

I'm glad it's on Netflix, it makes it easier for me to watch legally.

And tbh, it is entertaining, the bombs, gunfights etc. Even the political stuff appeal to some viewers too. I may have comments here and there and some wishful plot dreams...but I'm not complaining about Netflix airing Vagabond. And for it to be aired in about 190 countries, with multiple language subs and dubs is a feat for a kdrama. 

Thanks for answering my question, bro. :blush:   It is not meant to be critical.  But rather as a "Food for Thoughts" tickler - to start a discussion.  After all we are in K-Drama Land.  So we are here to be entertained.

On 10/15/2019 at 2:53 AM, katakwasabi said:

@choilicious nothing in VB is believable. The plot is actually too thin. The stakes don't feel high enough. I don't really understand what is going on about the plane crash and why it had to happen...I also don't understand why is it so hard for them to kill Dalgun. Dalgun needs to be in jail from the moment he started wrecking havoc in Morocco. It's not only a miracle he is alive...it's a miracle he's actually walking around as if he didn't do anything wrong. Tsk3

Imo Dalgun, a stuntman as the main focal is just not pulling it in. It feels like a replication of 'Foreigner' the Jackie Chan movie. But in that movie it actually felt believable, his daughter died in a bomb attack, and he went around wanting revenge. He wasn't just running around fighting, he used his brain and manufactured opportunities for an attack. And the villains in that movie were smart as the protagonist....now I want to rewatch the movie. Haha.

Dalgun on the other hand does not use his brain much. He's looking for someone to blame and he is blaming everyone, including the NIS team who were trying to uncover the mystery too. I'm not feeling Dalgun as a character. He feels empty. I feel sad when he remembers Hoon, but that sadness quickly transitions into annoyance when he starts to run around in adrenaline junkie mode.

Anyways...this is me trying to choke some sense and logic into VB plot...

But...logic is long gone hahahaha. I'll continue watching, despite it's senseless plot, the explosions and gunfights albeit not realistic is fun to watch. Also Ki Tae Woong. I'll stay as long as he's alive and not a richard simmons. Hahaha

Yeah this show has lost me and I'm now just waiting for it to end to hear if it gets any better and is worth a watch - other than production values nothing stands out or is unique in this show and the plot holes make it very hard to get into and root for people.

I don't want to compare it to Iris because there are only some similarities, but it's weaknesses are glaringly obvious when you do.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 1

Epic Action And Powerful Emotions: Lee Seung Gi’s Best Scenes From “Vagabond”

Oct 17, 2019
by hgordon

2952e8cd460347799052b9d398ea8a31.jpeg?s=

Who’s obsessed with “Vagabond” these days? The SBS drama has enough suspense and fast-paced action to keep us on the edge of our seats every episode, and that’s largely thanks to the incredible acting talent of Lee Seung Gi. He’s crushing it in his role as Cha Dal Gun: he’s broken our hearts with his tears, melted us with his cuteness, and impressed us with a never-ending slew of action sequences. Dal Gun is a bit hot-headed and doesn’t always think before he jumps off of buildings or into car chases, but we know he’s secretly a softy, and we love watching Lee Seung Gi bring this character to life. Want to re-live Lee Seung Gi’s acting brilliance once more? Here are his 10 best scenes from the first half of “Vagabond”!

Warning: spoilers for “Vagabond” Episodes 1-8 below.

1. When he was the cutest uncle

Dal Gun is the best uncle to his nephew Hoon (Moon Woo Jin), and the scenes of Dal Gun training Hoon and cheering him on, from his first days of taekwondo to his black belt, are so cute we can’t handle it. Lee Seung Gi plus kids is always a win.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1358759wpp/epic-action-powerful-emotions-lee-seung-gi-best-scenes-from-vagabond

• Like 2

i've been wondering how did the co pilot survived? we know the terrorist jumped from the plane. but nothing has been explain for the co pilot? did i miss something while watching?

1 hour ago, nitttss said:

i've been wondering how did the co pilot survived? we know the terrorist jumped from the plane. but nothing has been explain for the co pilot? did i miss something while watching?

He jumped too. It was shown in ep 8 during the interrogation scene :lol:

• Like 2

reading some comments here just make me think,

I glad that I don't have knowledge to think, their acting are not good enough, unbelievable unreal scenes, or bad plot.  

I do enjoy every episode, 

But, I also think, if all these comments are right, it possible that DG is dreaming and the only real thing is when Hoon trying to wake up DG (before DG go to GHR apartment) LOL

Edited by Arcbow
  • LOL 3