Quantcast
larus

[Current Drama 2019] Vagabond, 배가본드 - Fri & Sat @ 22:00 KST

CDG's toughness and inhumane durability has been noted and stated by one of his killers yesterday as well.

Spoiler

vk.png

vk1.png

@lollyminx Don't do that to yourself. KTW and GHR are not and will not end up together.

This was during one of LSG's ASMR vlog's. He was holding the script for Episode 14 in his hands. Nothing is actually spoiled. He was just teasing and building anticipation.

Spoiler

00:01:50,300 --> 00:01:57,060
Well, recently I’ve finished shooting my new drama Vegabond

00:01:57,460 --> 00:01:59,620
that will go on air in September.

00:01:59,960 --> 00:02:01,440
If you see here...

00:02:05,220 --> 00:02:09,940
(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15)

00:02:11,820 --> 00:02:13,800
There’s a total 15,

00:02:14,720 --> 00:02:24,040
but if we take out the one that we took in Morocco,

00:02:24,080 --> 00:02:26,140
there’s 14 books.

00:02:27,420 --> 00:02:29,160
Episodes 15 and 16 weren’t published.

00:02:32,715 --> 00:02:35,665
Because of security issues.

00:02:35,665 --> 00:02:38,665
only actors/actresses received the script in print,

00:02:38,665 --> 00:02:41,955
so there’s nothing officially published.

00:02:43,135 --> 00:02:46,575
What I did most was reading the script,

00:02:48,775 --> 00:02:49,885
going through it and etc.,

00:02:53,560 --> 00:02:56,580
So...

00:02:57,440 --> 00:02:59,180
Episode 14 contains a lot of spoilers.

00:03:00,240 --> 00:03:06,040
I don’t think the production company will like it if I show it to you.

00:03:07,040 --> 00:03:10,080
What’s scene #50?

00:03:11,000 --> 00:03:13,080
Ah....

00:03:14,760 --> 00:03:22,260
This is the last scene we took.

00:03:23,720 --> 00:03:28,000
There’s not many scenes in which

00:03:30,640 --> 00:03:32,000
Ms. Suzy and I have this romantic mood,

00:03:33,040 --> 00:03:35,300
Not in the entire drama actually.

00:03:38,815 --> 00:03:41,845
But this scene is one of those few romantic scenes.

00:03:41,845 --> 00:03:43,945
We cheered after taking this last scene.

00:03:51,635 --> 00:03:52,635
And I’ll stop here.

00:03:53,515 --> 00:03:55,895
If I go on this might be a huge spoiler.

Last (romantic) scene they took. They cheered after taking it. That screams real kiss to me lol.

990-E54465-D70-E6-C921.gif

• Like 8
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

The story is getting better!

I have actually been liking the show as it goes on a lot more than the initial two eps, which were very flashy, but kind of shallow in terms of character substance for me. It's still in the first half of the series, but hopefully, the pace will keep up so the story will not drag too much. There is a lot of ground to cover plot-wise, so there should be minimal lag time really. The main protagonists have a lot of work to do! 

In terms of previous comments saying things like the story was too obvious or HR as an agent was too unbelievable in her lack of skills as a field agent, I wanted to share my thoughts. While there are definite plot holes and inconsistencies, I am so far okay with how things are going. Basically most of the things shown in the series trailers/teasers have been shown now in the first 6 eps. And now it feels like the second half of the story is unfolding. Clearly, things are lot more complex and the corruption is more deeply rooted than at first glance. It was no secret that M&J were involved in the terrorist plot of the plane, and that Chief Min was a high suspect for the mole in NIS. Also while it is not certain, it is highly implied that the President is not on the up&up and is corrupt/compromised by those around him. There is still the large Who Dunnit question that looms large (because there is likely a larger lever of power controlling in the shadows), and as this drama is clearly a spy thriller, the large focus should be on unraveling the conspiracy piece by piece as it has been so far. Now that the most obvious pieces are in place (thank goodness they did no drag out Chief Min as the mole. Also who says he is the only one?), how they expose the potential role of the President/his cronies and his corruption, and how they realize the existence of the Bigger Bad will be the daunting task at hand. And we still need to circle back around to the opening scene in the desert with HR and DG. What happens between them?

In terms of HR as an agent, I feel like the show has been steadily showing more of her character development and might be a more interesting story arc than even DG, who as a character is very simple and straight forward. Obviously, DG is the central figure of the story, but the more I get to know HR, the more I like her. Yes, she was a mess in the Morocco debacle, but honestly, despite the fact that she was acting as a field agent, it is now obvious that she has no interest/desire to be one. She clearly had no prior experience other than officer training (which is far from actual experience in the field) prior to her Morocco trip. HR did not even go there voluntarily. She  would have preferred to be a paper pusher. She is driven to support her family, and her initial commitment to her career at the NIS is based on financial necessity, not duty to country. But eventually, it's shown that her conscience prevails and she cannot just standby and watch injustice prevail. Her character could have been written a lot more consistently, but I feel like it's unfair to expect HR to be a super skilled and wholly competent field agent/fighter in all aspects right off the bat. The show has so far just shown that she generally can defend herself when necessary and that she's intelligent. In interviews, Suzy even points out that her character has an arc in which she grows as an agent. So this is all expected. I think it's fine that she shows moments of promise and moments of lacking within the story point at the moment. What I do have a problem is with the fact that the writers tended to utilize her shortcomings as simply a means for comic relief with an odd sense of comedic timing. Like there is a time and a place, and especially in the first 2-4 eps, the timing sometimes felt a bit off and jilted. There are also a lot of scenes written in a way to enable the plot to move along. If HR had caught Chief Min, not only would I have been impressed that she was able to overpower a man twice her size under a clearly rattled mental state (within a couple hours, she had learned her direct supervisor was a traitor that had tried to kill DG, which lead to her killing a man for the first time, and her colleagues had just been attacked), but then he wouldn't have gotten away for whatever the writers have in mind for his character to do/fight/whatever. 

And in fact, I sometimes feel that HR is actually a more believable and realistic character than DG. Sure, it's much easier to root for DG because they give LSG an overload of cool stunt and fight scenes. But really, how is a normal person, even if he is a trained stuntman, able to fight trained assassins and survive like THREE severe car accidents like it's nothing. But TW cannot make it out of ONE fully conscious? What??! There are comparisons to Jason Bourne and the Bourne Identity series, but Jason Bourne was a highly trained CIA assassin himself!  I understand in order to keep up the tension and action, the characters must be under attack constantly, but there is actually very minimal sense of danger for DG's life at this moment for me. For one thing, we know he's alive until we reach the opening scene of the series, and for another, he apparently is absolutely indestructible, much to even the annoyance of now two hired assassins lol. Also how is he so calm just carrying a dead body? Like clearly HR was shook that she had to actually kill someone out of defense, but DG was pretty unfazed. He should really consider a career change after all this is over. lol. 

Overall, while there are sometimes points where it is lacking, this drama has definitely been entertaining so far. The pacing of the lighter beats were also a bit more balanced in ep 5-6. And importantly, the growing relationship between DG and HR is so sweet to watch, particularly when everything else seems to be going wrong around them. The way you can see a growing sense of respect and camaraderie between the two of them is so satisfying. And you can clearly see why DG is starting to fall for HR: during moments where DG begins to feel despair over Hoon, HR is somehow there to help him through or keep him company in some way. The drunk kiss scenes were also so cute. TW and DG were affected in very different ways. lol. This story is definitely tilting DGxHR in terms of couple ships, but I cannot wait to see TW reluctantly pine over HR (though I can bet, it will be too late). TW might realize his feelings for HR when he sees she is actually a good and worthy agent, but it's DG who actually pushed her to be better in the first place, so there is only one way things can play out in terms of the romance department in my eyes. Just keeping my fingers crossed for a couple good romantic scenes and kisses. And yes, that's plural for kisseS. I don't want the only real kiss to be at the very end. I mean, it's 2019. I  don't even ask for heavy emphasis on the romance. But I think we all can handle an action drama with some good romance sprinkled that is not at glacial pace thankyouverymuch. 

• Like 8

I enjoyed this show and had fun. But ep 6 happened and I'm starting to pull my hair. The ineptness is just aggravating. The drunk scene was overplayed. Slow burn romance all they want but what did that drunk scene highlight? What did it showcase? Haeri's low alcohol tolerance? Her drunk kissing habit? It was okay the first time, it was a mistake, but even KTW wanted to fire her. In real life that is sexual harrassment. Being drunk does not make her actions okay. Being cute does not make it okay. And she repeated it with Dalgun! Gosh! Control your alcohol consumption! Unfortunately I don't see her drunk Dalgun scene has any character depth. It would have been better if she ranted about her day, how she killed someone, how she let Mr Mole get away and Dalgun was there to comfort her. That would be more believable. That would have gave us character development and a true OTP moment instead of drunk scene. Sigh.

Hae Ri not having field experience is one thing...but she could have shown more intelligence and think before she acts. As an agent she was trained for situations, but what she did in ep 6 just highlighted how inept she is. She had no strategy whatsoever. It's fine if Mr Mole got away for whatever future plot there is, but at least make Hae Ri more intelligent in the scene. She was rambling and totally unprepared..... 

37 minutes ago, smiletall said:

This story is definitely tilting DGxHR in terms of couple ships, but I cannot wait to see TW reluctantly pine over HR (though I can bet, it will be too late). 

I was shipping for fun and I'm fine with my Rock Candy aka Taewoong Haeri ship sinking...it is the fate of a supporting character :tears:. But I will never be fine if they make Taewoong go cray2 and pine for Haeri's affection...it goes against his character so far. I rather KTW be indifferent about Haeri's crush on him, makes more sense characterwise. But I'm all in if they decide to make Hae Ri more capable and pair her with Taewoong. Secret office romance. Wohooo. Hahahahaha!

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

@cherriesblue, here you go :)

[7th preview]
A task force leads by Kang Joo Chul is secretly formed in the NIS.
When the task force found a burner phone that Sang Mi used to speak to Wooki, they realize that Wooki is hiding in a slum in Morocco.
Task force immediately head to Morocco to catch Wooki, and Dalgun secretly follows the task force to Morocco...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

I enjoyed this show and had fun. But ep 6 happened and I'm starting to pull my hair. The ineptness is just aggravating. The drunk scene was overplayed. Slow burn romance all they want but what did that drunk scene highlight? What did it showcase? Haeri's low alcohol tolerance? Her drunk kissing habit? It was okay the first time, it was a mistake, but even KTW wanted to fire her. In real life that is sexual harrassment. Being drunk does not make her actions okay. Being cute does not make it okay. And she repeated it with Dalgun! Gosh! Control your alcohol consumption! Unfortunately I don't see her drunk Dalgun scene has any character depth. It would have been better if she ranted about her day, how she killed someone, how she let Mr Mole get away and Dalgun was there to comfort her. That would be more believable. That would have gave us character development and a true OTP moment instead of drunk scene. Sigh.

ha ha ditto. After 5 episodes i really wanted to believe that GHR is infact a double agent and she has been putting on an act to confuse people around her but now i'm almost convince she is something of an airhead. 

18 hours ago, lollyminx said:

Haha yes. This was one of the cringey scenes I was talking about. I was like, "Soooooo they're really sending Go Hae Ri ALONE to arrest a HIGH VALUE TARGET? And then Go Hae Ri rushes in and takes out her gun when he was not being a threat? No calling and waiting for backup before the arrest?" 

After HR shot that guy at the safe house she was obviously shaking and all. I believe Dir Kang knew she would fail to arrest him that's why he sent in HR to do the job when he can actually call hq for back up. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, imgreatgal said:

ha ha ditto. After 5 episodes i really wanted to believe that GHR is infact a double agent and she has been putting on an act to confuse people around her but now i'm almost convince she is something of an airhead. 

After HR shot that guy at the safe house she was obviously shaking and all. I believe Dir Kang knew she would fail to arrest him that's why he sent in HR to do the job when he can actually call hq for back up. 

Oh....that's an interesting theory. Dir. Kang is evil mastermind!! I can take that. That makes Haeri more tolerable. Haha.

Maybe both Haeri and Dir Kang are evil and just playing with everyone in NIS. *theory running wild*

Whatever happens...I hope Ki Tae Woong remains on the right path. 

See...SBS shared pics with this caption (google trans)

https://m.programs.sbs.co.kr/drama/vagabond/visualboard/60783/?cmd=view&page=1&board_no=418461

72159732_2510412562349529_54203876139094

Hahahaha! :lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

@bebebisous33 recap of the early ep is amazing. Yes come to think about it Edward Park seems remarkably calm as the rep of the company who is losing the bid for the government's fighter jet purchase.

Yes, everyone besides Haeri and CDG seems to have double roles and there are really no one to trust except 

@incoty may I know where can I view that Lee Seung Gi Vlog? Now that I look at that later kiss photo, it seems to be a setting in the hospital and on Haeri side is a wheelchair? and DG side is a walking aid? Now that's getting interesting. 

@smiletall Such a lovely long post you wrote. Yes they did mentioned the second part of the show will have more of Haeri, I mean there are only that many car crashes they can do. We seems to have one every ep and sometimes I got a feeling the director has a fetish for flipping cars. 

Yes DG seems indestructible, someone mentioned his stab wound in the leg, right they just conveniently ignore it. 

Still, the show is really entertaining for me this far. The director is good with editing, his previous work Romantic Doctor Kim was a breezy drama too. I hope by now, with the ratings and viewer's feedback, they will know what the viewers prefer and finetune the scenes editing for the other eps. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Seoulmemories said:

@incoty may I know where can I view that Lee Seung Gi Vlog? Now that I look at that later kiss photo, it seems to be a setting in the hospital and on Haeri side is a wheelchair? and DG side is a walking aid? Now that's getting interesting. 

I don't know if he was specifically referring to that scene. It could be another scene.

Spoiler

I hope by now, with the ratings and viewer's feedback, they will know what the viewers prefer and finetune the scenes editing for the other eps

This is entirely pre-produced. All the editing's been done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@incoty thanks for the link. Yes i understand its all pre-produced but the director can still edit the future eps to lengthened or shortened some scenes.

Even for netflix, I heatd, the reason why the latest ep is only available internationally, one hour after korean broadcast is because they only get to subbed it as it gets broadcast. Its scary how confidential they keep every ep.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Seoulmemories said:

@incoty thanks for the link. Yes i understand its all pre-produced but the director can still edit the future eps to lengthened or shortened some scenes.

Even for netflix, I heatd, the reason why the latest ep is only available internationally, one hour after korean broadcast is because they only get to subbed it as it gets broadcast. Its scary how confidential they keep every ep.

Isn't all eps only available an hour after the korean broadcast? I don't think it has anything to do with confidentiality though.

They need to get real-time ratings. IMO, releasing the episode on netflix the same time as it is aired on SBS would be detrimental to the realtime ratings. Kviewers are already complaining about the ads. And for the hype Vagabond got, the real time ratings is a big issue. 11-ish% ratings is quite good for current standards but nowhere close to The Fiery Priest ratings which aired in the same time slot earlier this year. I hope Vagabond lives up to its hype even more in the 2nd half and the ratings will be higher.

Vagabond fighting!

• Like 3

in the case of Kdrama shown in Netflix. Netflix usually had bought the exclusive license earlier. So they already had the raw video as soon as it had been edited in Korea and they will subbed it. The reason Netflix only be able to post an hour or few hours after broadcast is to respect the TV station airing the drama in South Korea. They need the real time ratings. That is why Netflix delayed the time to post the drama online. 

This is profesionalism. no wonder how early they already got the videos (since this is a pre produced drama), but the subbers of Netflix need to keep it to themselves. They cannot give out spoilers. 

• Like 3

워커홀릭 팀장님은 피피엘 열일중

Workaholic is working on PPL :lol:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

Isn't all eps only available an hour after the korean broadcast?

Is it really available after an hour? It seems like a few hours later. There are some kdrama that are available a few hours after the original airing, but others seem to take longer. Like you have to wait half a day for the new episodes. This is what I've experienced with Vagabond. It takes too long compared to other series on Netflix such as When the Camellia Blooms, which updates the episodes earlier. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, lollyminx said:

Is it really available after an hour? It seems like a few hours later. There are some kdrama that are available a few hours after the original airing, but others seem to take longer. Like you have to wait half a day for the new episodes. This is what I've experienced with Vagabond. It takes too long compared to other series on Netflix such as When the Camellia Blooms, which updates the episodes earlier. 

To be honest..I'm not sure about the schedule on netflix since I don't immediately watch Vagabond eps as soon as it is available, but I get updates on naver or IG as the ep airs in korea :lol:. I'm also not watching camelia. Heh.

But...a few hours later for subs isn't that long. There were times that subs took days, weeks, longer or never. Hahaha. I'm glad kdramas are easily acessible now. The days of downloading each ep, waiting for .srt sub files, hjsplit are long gone, the fansubs were great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I feel the PM as the bad guy is too easy. I feel it would be a SHOCKER if the President is really the guy pulling the strings? But even if not, the President is clearly inept and a shakedown is gonna happen in the end. I am still feeling the PM is the "good guy" even though all points him to be bad guy.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1