[Drama 2019] Vagabond, 배가본드

larus

3 hours ago, Seoulmemories said:

@incoty may I know where can I view that Lee Seung Gi Vlog? Now that I look at that later kiss photo, it seems to be a setting in the hospital and on Haeri side is a wheelchair? and DG side is a walking aid? Now that's getting interesting. 

I don't know if he was specifically referring to that scene. It could be another scene.

Spoiler

I hope by now, with the ratings and viewer's feedback, they will know what the viewers prefer and finetune the scenes editing for the other eps

This is entirely pre-produced. All the editing's been done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@incoty thanks for the link. Yes i understand its all pre-produced but the director can still edit the future eps to lengthened or shortened some scenes.

Even for netflix, I heatd, the reason why the latest ep is only available internationally, one hour after korean broadcast is because they only get to subbed it as it gets broadcast. Its scary how confidential they keep every ep.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Seoulmemories said:

@incoty thanks for the link. Yes i understand its all pre-produced but the director can still edit the future eps to lengthened or shortened some scenes.

Even for netflix, I heatd, the reason why the latest ep is only available internationally, one hour after korean broadcast is because they only get to subbed it as it gets broadcast. Its scary how confidential they keep every ep.

Isn't all eps only available an hour after the korean broadcast? I don't think it has anything to do with confidentiality though.

They need to get real-time ratings. IMO, releasing the episode on netflix the same time as it is aired on SBS would be detrimental to the realtime ratings. Kviewers are already complaining about the ads. And for the hype Vagabond got, the real time ratings is a big issue. 11-ish% ratings is quite good for current standards but nowhere close to The Fiery Priest ratings which aired in the same time slot earlier this year. I hope Vagabond lives up to its hype even more in the 2nd half and the ratings will be higher.

Vagabond fighting!

• Like 3

in the case of Kdrama shown in Netflix. Netflix usually had bought the exclusive license earlier. So they already had the raw video as soon as it had been edited in Korea and they will subbed it. The reason Netflix only be able to post an hour or few hours after broadcast is to respect the TV station airing the drama in South Korea. They need the real time ratings. That is why Netflix delayed the time to post the drama online. 

This is profesionalism. no wonder how early they already got the videos (since this is a pre produced drama), but the subbers of Netflix need to keep it to themselves. They cannot give out spoilers. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

Isn't all eps only available an hour after the korean broadcast?

Is it really available after an hour? It seems like a few hours later. There are some kdrama that are available a few hours after the original airing, but others seem to take longer. Like you have to wait half a day for the new episodes. This is what I've experienced with Vagabond. It takes too long compared to other series on Netflix such as When the Camellia Blooms, which updates the episodes earlier. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, lollyminx said:

Is it really available after an hour? It seems like a few hours later. There are some kdrama that are available a few hours after the original airing, but others seem to take longer. Like you have to wait half a day for the new episodes. This is what I've experienced with Vagabond. It takes too long compared to other series on Netflix such as When the Camellia Blooms, which updates the episodes earlier. 

To be honest..I'm not sure about the schedule on netflix since I don't immediately watch Vagabond eps as soon as it is available, but I get updates on naver or IG as the ep airs in korea :lol:. I'm also not watching camelia. Heh.

But...a few hours later for subs isn't that long. There were times that subs took days, weeks, longer or never. Hahaha. I'm glad kdramas are easily acessible now. The days of downloading each ep, waiting for .srt sub files, hjsplit are long gone, the fansubs were great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I feel the PM as the bad guy is too easy. I feel it would be a SHOCKER if the President is really the guy pulling the strings? But even if not, the President is clearly inept and a shakedown is gonna happen in the end. I am still feeling the PM is the "good guy" even though all points him to be bad guy.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not too sure if this has been shared here but I was surprised when I chanced upon a translation.  So, here's my contribution for the day :)

Evaluation by the weapons instructor; Who is the Real Gunman in Vagabond?

Source: http://viewers.heraldcorp.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=44131#_enliple

The drama Vagabond which was released through SBS and Netflix on September 20, received a lot of attention since it was produced.  Apart from being a masterpiece, the company has made several new efforts in introducing this full-scale Korean spy drama, both domestically and internationally.  Previously, director Yoo In Sik revealed the reasons he chose Lee Seung Gi and Bae Suzy, namely LSG's military background of the special forces and final casting of Suzy.  Director Yoo even reportedly offered the role of Cha Dal Gun to Lee Seung Gi when the actor was still in military.  For the sake of the totality of the work, the actors underwent tactical training to enhance the deepening of their roles for several months before filming began.  Reporting from Military Professional Reporter Tae Sang Ho, let's find out who is the real shooter in Vagabond based on the evaluation results from instructors who trained the main actors.

84c01a50c8ad55a00b23c75da2777bdc

Lee Seung Gi (Cha Dal Gun): Trained Gunman

Lee Seung Gi who served in the ROK SWC Army Special Warfare Command, Black Panther, he completed his jump training very well and underwent close combat training without weapons, which is difficult even for ordinary soldiers.  His instructor in the military remembered him as a serious soldier who hardly gave up.  It was proven that he was known as a certified Military Warrior.  When preparing for Vagabond, this aspect of him was revealed to the media.  The training went very smoothly thanks to his extraordinary basic tactical knowledge and familiarity with other types of firearms.  The instructor said he was a well-trained armed man.  Instead of showing concern, the instructor told him "Your character in the drama is a stuntman.  Shouldn't you pretend to be a little amateurish?"

esgmcuef5op21.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=9a6b741decf930b8f6635d6663f1862d1557c7bf

Bae Suzy (Go Hae Ri): An unexpected lady who gets 100 points in martial arts

In terms of physical aspect and appearance, there are definitely no sharp objects or weapons that match her.  Therefore, the firing and tactics instructor for Vagabond was worried whether she could attend basic tactical education before undergoing full-scale training.  But on the field, even though there were many action scenes while filming in Morocco, she was able to do all the scenes without any problems and received a standing ovation from local Moroccan and Korean staff for her success.  The instructor shared his metaphorical impression of her, "The youngest child who was not expected to be better actually received a hundred in school."

shin-sung-rok.jpg
Shin Sung Rok (Ki Tae Woong): The Hard Worker

The role of Shin Sung Rok is Ki Tae Woong, head of NIS.  During shooting practice, he was the team leader.  Trained tactical personnel would feel tired when they have to shoot more than 400 shots a day.  But he impressed the instructor by voluntarily learning to shoot more even though he did not use any real weapons.  The results of not betraying his efforts were proven during the shooting process which went on smoothly.  Instructor's evaluation for him, "Gi Tae Woong, a young man from a rich family who really grew up as a leader."

Spoiler

2018051500957_0.jpg

Yu Tae Oh (Jeremy): "What can't you do?"

In Vagabond, Yu Tae Oh who plays an international mercenary named Jeremy, is fluent in English, German, and other languages.  He said he had never dealt with firearms and personally did not like weapons.  But when tactical training took place, he showed extraordinary talent in mastering weapons and tactics.  The instructor said to him, "What can't you do?" It was rumored that he spoke about this for a long time.

Spoiler

Vagabond-Lee-Ki-Young.jpg

Lee Ki Young (Kang Ju Cheol): The Hidden Master

Actor Lee Ki Young plays the role of Kang Ju Cheol, chief instructor of NIS.  He said he didn't often deal with firearms in Vagabond, but he surprised everyone in a shooting scene.  His knowledge of firearms and his abilities are just like an expert.  The staff and weapons instructors in the field were amazed by his shooting skills until he was dubbed the Hidden Master.

Spoiler

0004032694_001_20170712155638283.jpg

Choi Dae Cheol (Kim Do Su): Shooting King / Destructive King

He was the actor who did the most shooting scenes in Vagabond.  He appears as a defector from a North Korean special force named Kim Do Su who tried to kill Cha Dal Gun several times.  He underwent complete weapons and tactical training which includes North Korean dialect and various firearms to fulfill his role.  In particular, in order to match the character of the North Korean defector, he had to practice using special, rarely known firearms such as AK.  The instructor said, "One of his best efforts was that he even treated the instructors barbecue when they had to practice on their own, even on a Sunday."  The instructor called him the King of Shooting or King of Destruction because he has many shooting scenes and there were always explosive scenes in every appearance.

Spoiler

2139847729646571375-1569858992127-073c5999146d9db2d6ca032fc3d6f758_600x400.jpg

Park Ah In (Lily): Goddess of Death

In Vagabond, Park Ah In plays the serial killer named Lily.  As a murderer, she spends a lot of time training in basic tactics because she has to deal with various weapons.  When there is no regular training schedule, she will borrow a training gun and practice in a moving car.  Lily is a character that is very difficult to digest because she has both weak and strong appearances simultaneously, but she plays it perfectly.  The instructor regarded her as a wild lily.

Spoiler

rw2100-bwteivxhgwe-compress67-c7207838acef545caf99a43f6d9d0c45.jpg

Ryuwon (Mickey): The Sponge

Ryuwon is the youngest actress to undergo tactical training while filming Vagabond.  She said maybe she was born to use a firearm, but the instructor did not really believe her until she showed the ability behind her innocent face.  The instructor's nickname for her was The Sponge, because she was able to absorb everything well during the training .

PS. I am concluding that Mickey was the one who killed Michael.  Look at her build and those lips! ;)

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

6 hours ago, cadymcbronzie said:

Shin Sung Rok (Ki Tae Woong): The Hard Worker

The role of Shin Sung Rok is Ki Tae Woong, head of NIS.  During shooting practice, he was the team leader.  Trained tactical personnel would feel tired when they have to shoot more than 400 shots a day.  But he impressed the instructor by voluntarily learning to shoot more even though he did not use any real weapons.  The results of not betraying his efforts were proven during the shooting process which went on smoothly.  Instructor's evaluation for him, "Gi Tae Woong, a young man from a rich family who really grew up as a leader."

Thank you for the translation @cadymcbronzie. The description for Ki Tae Woong reminds me of this article.

This article made me root for SSR in kdramaland even more. Imo he's underrated~ 

https://channels.vlive.tv/C7A6F1/vtoday/1.11973952

Shin Sung Rok - from "unknown" actor to participation in 25-billion-won blockbuster "Vagabond"

Actor Shin Sung Rok is showing his solid position in "Vagabond" - the blockbuster that is receiving attention as the "terrific" project with an investment of 25 billion won. The public is increasingly expecting the future of Shin Sung Rok - the actor who does not appear spectacularly but brings reliability.

Shin Sung Rok has spent 16 years actively working as an actor. However, he could not shine for quite a long time since his debut in the acting career in 2003 through the drama "Shoot for the Stars" (SBS). As for why he couldn't receive the spotlight for so long, he said it was because he himself didn't have enough acting capability. As an actor, Shin Sung Rok has walked such a difficult path that he confided in the interview, "There were many times I thought I didn't have any talent at all."

Spoiler

Shin Sung Rok left an impression on the public thanks to the drama "My Love From the Star" as he received the nickname "KakaoTalk dog". Airing its first episode in December 2013, "My Love From the Star" has set a legendary viewership rating of 28.1% (Nielsen Korea, nationwide standard) and helped Kim Soo Hyun and Jun Ji Hyun become top stars.

In this drama, Shin Sung Rok takes on the role of Lee Jae Kyung - a scary villain. Each time he turns the ring, an extremely cruel action will happen. However, compared to that scary look, Lee Jae Kyung has lovely images with the nickname "KakaoTalk dog".

After getting attention thanks to the drama "My Love From The Star" in 2013, no longer playing supporting roles, Shin Sung Rok began to enter the rank of the leading actors. He has excitingly acted in a wide range of film genres, from comedy, thriller, historical drama, to romance. Not only in the drama field, he also polished his ability when appearing regularly on musical stages.

Above all, Shin Sung Rok is a sincere person. Although it may not be the most important virtue of an actor, his sincerity has eventually paid off. He often appears in front of the public with the appearance of an actor who works relentlessly.

In the drama "Perfume", Shin Sung Rok played the sensitive designer Seo Yi Do who suffers from various illnesses. The actor brought humor and "coolness" to the drama thanks to a role with a grumpy personality but cherishing a pure affection for the girl he once loved. Shin Sung Rok led the drama flow with his experienced and steady acting skills. And despite being not successful in terms of the viewership rating, "Perfume" is still a fresh and meaningful work to him.

Shin Sung Rok continued to shine in the "25-billion-won" drama "Vagabond". During the first phase of the drama, Lee Seung Gi and Suzy showcased dynamic acting in Morocco and are receiving full attention. Meanwhile, Shin Sung Rok is showing off his enthusiastic acting as Ki Tae Woong - an upright chief inspector in the corrupted National Intelligence Service. Despite always being calm without shedding a drop of blood, when accompanying Go Hae Ri (played by Bae Suzy), he brought humor and greatly romantic chemistry.

Shin Sung Rok is not the most brilliant and shining actor, but he is undeniably an "influential" actor that is more sincere than anyone else. Therefore, the viewers will love this actor who brings a sense of reliability for a long time. Besides, they are also curious about the dynamic acting activities that Shin Sung Rok will perform in" Vagabond".

201910031527778658_5d9595ce245f0.jpg

• Like 6

I like him a lot. His acting is so great that he can pull off any characters given to him. Not to mention he is the MVP and rating magnet. All of his drama with SBS recorded double digit ratings with Return as TOP 3 drama who had highest ratings in 2018. 

I read someone said, if there is SSR, the drama will do well. I think even as a villain, he manage to pull viewers to continuously watching him even though we are cursing his character at the same time

• Like 6

14 hours ago, liltash85 said:

I like him a lot. His acting is so great that he can pull off any characters given to him. Not to mention he is the MVP and rating magnet. All of his drama with SBS recorded double digit ratings with Return as TOP 3 drama who had highest ratings in 2018. 

I read someone said, if there is SSR, the drama will do well. I think even as a villain, he manage to pull viewers to continuously watching him even though we are cursing his character at the same time

He does have quite good luck with drama ratings. All his dramas from 2017 managed to consecutively earn top spot in ratings at one point. 

I hope I can see him more in Vagabond. 10 more episodes!

New stills! Excited B)

201910100843150982454_20191010084403_01_

• Like 8