Quantcast
larus

[Current Drama 2019] Vagabond, 배가본드 - Fri & Sat @ 22:00 KST

So this drama is about not trusting anyone. Except for CDG, GHR, Bo Ra and KTW (maybe?), I will trust no one. Oh, maybe that Judo guy whose wife died, maybe I'll trust him going forward as well.

I really feel bad for DG coz it seems like wherever he goes, everyone's after him. This isn't just the government against him, but the world. I know this drama has its flaws just like any other drama, as most of you have already clearly pointed out. So I'm not gonna dwell more into it. And if I may borrow The8's, of SEVENTEEEN, phrase when he said, "I actually don't try to look at the bad side" , that's how I'll enjoy my dramas for now :D.

In that manner, I just wanna point out this scene which kinda struck me..

20190930-071156.gif 

CDG had been raising his nephew by himself, since we know from ep. 4 how Hoon's mother isn't actually the best mom in the world (which is why I always think Hoon should have never died, because he deserves better). So I can imagine how painful it must have been for Dal Gun, so when GHR mentioned to him about his dream of being a martial arts director and should start acting again, as she remembers Hoon's vid message, he was grateful that someone at least remembers Hoon. Also, during this scene...

20190930-071247.gif 

I think DG just needed someone to believe him and show him sympathy for what he's been going through. So I think this will probably what brings him and Hae Ri closer and where their romance starts to bloom. No one actually showed him that except for Hae Ri since everyone is so busy trying to kill him. Someone needs to give him a hug. So that he doesn't need to do this...

20190930-073402.gif 

.... hiding away his pain :tears:

@thistle .. I agree with everyone. Don't stop posting, don't let it bother you too much :blush:.. people are either black or white. 

• Like 12
  • Awesome 1

Before I launch into my critique of these early episodes, I would like to preface by saying that dumb action shoot-em up flicks are a guilty pleasure of mine. I'm a child of the 70s and 80s so I was practically raised on those. ;) I've even started enjoying the Gerard Butler "Fallen" franchise lately. It's all pure mindless escapism to me. Of course a certain amount of suspension of disbelief is required like in every genre but people might be surprised to note that these action flicks are usually much better thought out than one might think.

One of my biggest issues with the whole thing is how unnecessarily over-the-top everyone and everything is. I realise that this is K drama and they like a bit of theatre but it takes something away from the credibility of what's going on. I'm not unsympathetic about how DG is feeling. The entire situation is appalling and reprehensible. Crashing an entire aircraft to get a military contract. It is beyond corrupt. Moreover, he and his nephew didn't exactly part on good terms...  on top of that, he hasn't had much of a chance to grieve properly and yes he has an especially bad case of survivor's guilt. I can understand his need to be confrontational at the start as he's learning how to navigate his way through dodging bullets. LSG is fantastic in this... as he always is... bringing his A game and giving the character far more dimension than he has on paper. It's sort of the game Kdramaland likes to play: Make your characters continually do dumb things with good actors and hope the audience doesn't notice. 

I can tolerate this to some degree but after a while I want my leads to sharpen up. DG needs to be far more circumspect than he is because bulldozing through confrontations with the baddies won't get him very far. While I don't think Go Hae-ri is portrayed as a complete airhead... I think they're trying too hard with the comedy to the point that it comes across as being trite. 

I'm also not sure what I think of the villains at this stage. The women are hilarious on some level and Lily borders on camp but they're working far too hard for my liking and making too much noise in their attempts to keep DG quiet. The political stuff is okay... creating honey traps and getting their government cronies/stooges to stonewall the investigation etc... that's par for the course. My feeling is that they're going for a cat and mouse game in this... nothing wrong with that... but that tells me I should probably bail sooner rather than late and then come back closer to the end and marathon the whole thing. Cat and mouse games are hard to do well. The writer has to be super sharp and creative. Cliches can kill it instantly. I thought Doctor Prisoner was amazing because the primary protagonist was superbly written and the villains were no slouch either. With this show... I don't know... it feels at times like cheap theatre despite the slick camera work. It would help, I think, if the overacting toned down somewhat.

It's been a while since I've seen a drama where SSR isn't a bad guy... it's nice actually... I hope he stays on the straight and narrow even if the character is a bit stiff and boy scoutish.

• Like 13
  • Insightful 1

I'm new here. Just got disillusioned with how unrealistic this drama is so I decided to post something. 

I really wanna like this drama. Episode 1 & 2 were excellent but after that the writers chose to dumb everything down and decided to insult the viewers intelligence. 

1. They made the family members of the victims slow, passive individuals that will accept whatever they're told without questioning anything or wanting to hear anything beside grieving.

2. The NSI team, self absorbed, lack of anything intelligence, no urgency (bruh 200 people just died and you all are thinking about promotion and self interests), loud and fast talking for no reason without listening and lack of maturity it feels childish the entire organization.

3. Comedy, really? Not even subtle but a haha loud silly attempt to make me laugh by making the female lead an airhead? And her female NSI friend just mad annoying and ineffective? Over 100 people of your citizens died, I'm not looking to laugh bro. 

4. And the male lead, at some point he is gonna have to stop being the hunted and think without being driven by emotions all the damn time. He goes into everything 100 percent with feelings without using his head. Take a second and think. 

I get it this is kdrama but c'mon be realistic to the content you tryna produce without making it silly or just don't do it at all. 

End of rant. 

Edited by Muslim Bakr
  • Like 4

While most people are chasing after and enjoying the main lead couples, I like the villain role, that's her, Jessica Lee (played by Moon Jeong-Hee). I noticed this actress since her previous drama "Mama" (MBC / 2014). But in this drama, unlike her mama role, She played a well spoken english high corporate lady (CEO?) who is beautiful, confident, brainy, but a cunning villain role, sexy enough to seduce the minister that night...:D I like confident and smart women, that's why I pick her, a versatile actress who can transform herself from a motherly look (her previous drama) into this confident but cunning role.

In any thriller action storyline, whether in movie or drama, I like to see who is the actor in villain role because it serves as an obstacle the hero must struggle to overcome. Typical storyline will create a contrast distinguishing heroic traits from villainous ones.

As mentioned in my earlier post, this drama is similar to Jackie Chan's movies, usually come with action and comedy genre, a typical entertaining storyline, we can't expect much with the substance storyline that we prefer. I like IRIS 1st drama, i tend to compare but i stopped it because i know they are different genre. There are a variety of reasons to tell stories — to inspire, to entertain, to sell, or to educate the audience. There may be pretty complicated topic to describe to the typical audience. 

I can accept that most drama stories have flaws and that one drama can't fit all type of audience.  I will simply sit back and relax watching the funny moment of this drama. Less expectation, less disappointment. Sometimes, life will give us surprises if we have the least expectation. :D

• Like 9

I read a theory on DC gallery....and I find it interesting....

Is it possible that Dalgun's dead bro is Ki Tae Woong's dead partner?

I think it is possible. So everyone is tied. Hahahahaha

On another note...my dad says Ki Tae Woong seems trustworthy as of ep 4. I am on the Ki Tae Woong is the nice guy ship. Even if others say he is dubious and shady, I have no reason to think he is. I support his goody two shoes character. Hehehe

• Like 7
  • Love 3

11 hours ago, Sarang21 said:

For me my expectations were high because it´s a pre-produced drama with a high budget. So since they are not under the same time stress that live-shooting dramas are under..I expect the quality to be better.  But with all it´s flaws I´m still enjoying the show and hope that it will continue to get better until the end. 

I had no expectations at all... to be honest ;) ... hadn't heard anything one way or another and I only started watching this because of LSG and I thought that the storyline looked somewhat interesting. The show looks very slick but yeah... the characterization of the leads are a bit off. I suspect it's a case of Kdramaland wanting its cake and eating it too. What I mean is that it wants to be ambitious but it doesn't want to jettison tried and true tropes. 

It has potential but the silly aspects are a cause for concern.

6 hours ago, nrllee said:

Exactly.  It’s not the fault of the acting cast, it’s the writing.  How HR has been written makes it very hard for me to accept now that she’s suddenly going to move from where she is at now to becoming a super agent.  Her drunk kissing, her overconfidence.  It just makes her comedic when I desperately want to take her seriously.  

She's a rather schizophrenic character IMO. She has her moments when she has flashes of brilliance.  The stuff about the bolt action rifle, for instance. But they are just flashes at the moment. The problem is that they want to tie her to some kind of aegyo trope initially and it just doesn't work. It's also obvious that she's being exploited as comic relief and not in a good way.

I'm not against splashes of gallows humour now and again (the early bits of DG and Hoon were good) but it should come naturally from the characters and the situations that they're in, not inserted just to remind the audience that they're watching a Kdrama. 

11 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

But now, let's focus on the story itself. I have the impression that the real issue of this "incident" is not just J&M as such but the politicians and the NSI. Like the director Kang Joo Chul said it, the NSI's work has changed. The agents have become the errand boys for the government. Jessica would have never been able to organize such a plane accident, if the president and the Prime Minister hadn't already decided to support J&M. I have the feeling that there could be another person working at the NSI who has been helping them... the one who was smoking a big cigar. So the corruption is the real problem in reality which explains why CDG has to work outside the box in the end... he is forced to become a vagabond as he can no longer rely on the authorities. He will try to use the media and ask for the president's help, in the end he will fail. That's why he will leave GHR's side. GHR is definitely too naive, when it comes to NSI. She has not realized that agents in the NIS are traitors.

I don't think J & M are the beginning and end of the whole thing either. There's obviously someone much higher up than Jessica who is really calling the shots. Very well-funded undoubtedly. J & M is probably a front for some kind of James Bond villain, I imagine who wants to blow up N or S Korea and beyond.  :P

I just want DG to smarten up and give the confrontational style a rest. I'm fine with him and some others with the NSI going rogue as is necessary when there's so much evil and corruption but he needs to stop flying by the seat of his pants. 

• Like 11

I wonder who is the man who killed the Jerome.  He seemed to be with the military given his attire.  What is his connection with Jessica if any?

The PM sent Jessica and the NIS's kissing pictures to the president.  What is his goal?  Is it to show that thr NIS is being blackmailed, and that J&M is dead set to win thr contract even though Dynamic is better? Is it so that the President will choose Dynamic System?

I wasn't keen on Haeri and the scenes with her female friend.  In general i dislike comedy especially when it feels forced and contrived like theirs.  I find it annoying and do not like chick flicks.  I didn't watch Vagabond to see a chick flick, i am watching it for thr thriller and mystery.  But i am still interested in the story, so this I can just ignore.  In this regard, I like Stranger better because the was no contrived and unfunny comedy scenes.  If there was any, it felt natural.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, nrllee said:

How HR has been written makes it very hard for me to accept now that she’s suddenly going to move from where she is at now to becoming a super agent.  Her drunk kissing, her overconfidence.  It just makes her comedic when I desperately want to take her seriously.  

At this point i can't quiet put my finger on HR's character. At one point she come across as a nitwit especially at the beginning of ep1. That Ho Shik guy was telling her about the consul who's been arrested for taking bribes from a local drug gang and she tells him she isn't surprise because the consul's eyes often look drowsy huh?? In another scene she looks all serious talking on the phone with someone telling him/her she just returned from Lisbon and something about that suicide in Portugal. We were made to believe that she had something to do with it. I believe she may be a double agent and the NIS is just a cover. She acts foolish so as not to be taken seriously and in turn no one would suspect her. This takes me to that first scene in the middle of the desert from ep1. 

• Like 10

I think this is the most action packed KDrama i have ever seen.. it is on par with some action American series. One thing is still funny is how they censor the knife but not the gun...so its ok to shoot people but stabbing is bad?

And how everyone can just be bought is insane. I know it is dramaland but it seems an "agent" or "cleaner" is on standby for every scene...especially fishy in the  aircontroller place.

It is interesting who the NIS spy is though and i felt weird why SSR didn't think about the comment from episode 3 on how him declaring the security confiscation cause the hack/video to be removed.  I mean if it is not him, he should know who told him about it ?

And man the main squad is so dumb to be so trusting of every stranger they meet. I mean the negotiator they met like one time and they willingly stay at his "safe house"? 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

53 minutes ago, shaselai said:

the main squad is so dumb to be so trusting of every stranger they meet. I mean the negotiator they met like one time and they willingly stay at his "safe house"? 

IKR!! It’s still acceptable for me if it were just CDG who went to him, but the two NIS agents went too?? When Park offered them his place, I am actually beginning to suspect him as being in cahoots with the whole plane crash thing ~ the sayings “keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer”

And I just want to say I love how ep.4 ended :glasses:

• Like 4
  • Love 2

58 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

IKR!! It’s still acceptable for me if it were just CDG who went to him, but the two NIS agents went too?? When Park offered them his place, I am actually beginning to suspect him as being in cahoots with the whole plane crash thing ~ the sayings “keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer”

And I just want to say I love how ep.4 ended :glasses:

well the negotiator was in cahoots way before that? thought he was shown his colors the first/2nd episode? Yeah totally loved the ending of episode 4 - it wouldve been better if he had said something though.

and it is weird why CDG has to be killed "naturally" when they are killing other people left and right. They could easily off him and clean up the mess. 

• Like 7

You'' find me near the start of this thread being so hyped about this show but the start has been so disappointing.

Obvious plotholes, the FL being both annoying and just dumb (how is she any kind of agent), LSG overacting as he always does especially with his constant shouting (I feel like he has been doing this for years, how has he not realised?), cringe characters (the female assassin).

It's currently a much worse version of Iris with no Lee Byung-hun to carry it.

Kill It and now this. Not a good year for action dramas.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, shaselai said:

well the negotiator was in cahoots way before that? thought he was shown his colors the first/2nd episode? Yeah totally loved the ending of episode 4 - it wouldve been better if he had said something though.

and it is weird why CDG has to be killed "naturally" when they are killing other people left and right. They could easily off him and clean up the mess. 

It was suggested, but I wasn’t suspicious yet because it could be a red herring. But now I don’t trust him. 

Agree on this too. Why it has to be a natural death.... with his reckless way of handling things, it’s so easy to make up acceptable reasons for his death. And staging a car accident? That too can easily qualify and be investigated as foul play... :huh:

• Like 6
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

As mentioned in my earlier post, this drama is similar to Jackie Chan's movies, usually come with action and comedy genre, a typical entertaining storyline, we can't expect much with the substance storyline that we prefer. I like IRIS 1st drama, i tend to compare but i stopped it because i know they are different genre. There are a variety of reasons to tell stories — to inspire, to entertain, to sell, or to educate the audience. There may be pretty complicated topic to describe to the typical audience. 

I can accept that most drama stories have flaws and that one drama can't fit all type of audience.  I will simply sit back and relax watching the funny moment of this drama. Less expectation, less disappointment. Sometimes, life will give us surprises if we have the least expectation. :D

It's not my intention to keep bashing on Vagabond and take away anyone's joy of watching this if they're quite happy with the product thus far. ;)  I wouldn't say the drama is bad. Not at all. Personally I'm sufficiently entertained... but for a show that looks this good, has a decent budget and cast, it's clear why the expectations exist. (Personally I didn't have any)

You brought up the Jackie Chan movies as a form of comparison. Okay, I can see why you might. But I don't quite agree. I know when I watch Jackie Chan more or less what to expect. Except for Namiya. ;)Jackie does 2 hour flicks in many instances and no sooner does the story begin, it more or less ends. So its sins are easy to overlook and forgivable. However, Vagabond is a 16 episode drama and speaking for myself, I'm largely concerned that we'll be seeing 10 more episodes of the same o'l, same o'l. Besides I would also argue that Vagabond is tonally confusing in a way that Jackie's movies aren't. It wants us to take it seriously because a plane load of people died and the male lead is justifiably deadly serious and paranoid. The humour, on the other hand, doesn't land well considering the context and who is supposed to deliver the humour. 

I don't think anyone here is denying that generic differences exist. But what I will say is that there are good examples of the genre and bad ones. There are good reasons why, for instance, the first 2 Die Hard films  are classics (showing my age here) because they are tightly written action films containing a good story. They're also bleakly humorous as well but they are done in a witty, contextually appropriate way.

My impression is that people want to like the show and for a whole variety of reasons, it isn't doing it for them. 

2 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Agree on this too. Why it has to be a natural death.... with his reckless way of handling things, it’s so easy to make up acceptable reasons for his death. And staging a car accident? That too can easily qualify and be investigated as foul play... :huh:

It is really odd to me as well. 

They seem to be bringing more attention to the whole thing than they need to. Boggles the mind.

• Like 4

Thanks for sharing your opinion in a different light, my dear. :):wub:

Don't worry, my pretty chingu, each person has the every right to have different points of view especially when choosing drama to view.  Everyone has set their own classification in mind. As mentioned, one drama genre may not fit in to all. I agreed that this drama has flaws and the story written is not what we expect so far, but is there any twist or climax in the end, yet to find out......but since i have chosen this drama mainly for entertaining purpose, so I don't really care in details anymore. I agreed with you it may be sad and frustrated for someone who cares alot for this pre-produced drama, but once you zoom out your view and look into different light, you can do many things to this drama : Mindset fine-tuning is one of them. No need to be too serious when watching an entertaining drama.

I once disappointed with a drama story but this drama was so well received by many people , especially the lead couple may be receiving award soon. I still continue watching till the end although I don't really enjoy that drama much. But it's my choice.

Some friends once told me : I don't want to invest so much time on this type of drama. Yes, the choice is ours, we can drop it halfway or continue watching, everyone's opinion and decision are different and we need to respect that. 

God creates disparity for human to make the world wonderful as it complement each other because of different views. In many areas, we need divergent thinking to help generate creative ideas by exploring many possible solutions, otherwise we will look like robot, every opinion becomes the same. Perhaps you could wait and finish all the ep first and see whether there is any twist or surprise plot in the end....yet to find out:w00t: :D

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

(showing my age here)

I am sorry for laughing here... coz your username already told us your age :joy:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Same, I wondered why Dal Geon and the two female NIS agents immediately trusted Edward Park.  It felt too careless, and sudden.  Why was Park suddenly part of their inner circle?  In fact I felt that the plane crash details for now should only he between DG and HR and maybe Mr Gang from NIS.  Also, Lily said that Park was going to be one of her clients, but it did not push through.  Forgot if it was because Jessica offered a higher pay.  So who was the person that Park was planning to have assassinated, if it were true?

• Like 4

I did think that they could easily killed Dalgun if they want to. The easiest would be if they just hijacked his ride from incheon airport instead of trying to tase him with ring taser in the airport. Hahaha!

I feel that this show is just being pure entertainment. It's as if the writer is having fun and lumping all sorts of action on stuntman Dalgun. Since stuntmen do ridiculous stunts for dramas, why not make a drama with a stuntman at the forefront and let him go against the world. Good thing is, Dalgun is kinda rootable. I don't like him running around creating havoc and not thinking about his actions...but he's just rootable, especially after he lost Hoon (might also be because it's LSG hahaha).

I think I've written this before...I like that I can see that this drama has a big budget. As of ep 4, the budget is translated on my screen with all the stunts, explosions, car flips, locations, accidents, fruit mash, veggie crush, shootings etc2. It's not usually seen in kdramas (or the dramas I watched). And Vagabond is streching it to a new level of over the topness. Lol. A safe house made out of glass with no curtains. A assassin lady spying and not actually killing and making a mess instead of being hidden. Kekekeke.

Bts for Dalgun's car accident. Cool beans!!

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, cherriesblue said:

Same, I wondered why Dal Geon and the two female NIS agents immediately trusted Edward Park.  It felt too careless, and sudden.  Why was Park suddenly part of their inner circle?  In fact I felt that the plane crash details for now should only he between DG and HR and maybe Mr Gang from NIS.  Also, Lily said that Park was going to be one of her clients, but it did not push through.  Forgot if it was because Jessica offered a higher pay.  So who was the person that Park was planning to have assassinated, if it were true?

I need to check the English translation, but the impression I got from Chinese subs, the way she referred to Park is the same way she referred to CDG. So Park was the hit target, not the employer. And the reason she stated I think it that he is too much of a jerk? (I’ll come back to edit after checking the English subs)

Edit:

This is what Lily said ~ “He could’ve been my client, but I say no. He is a real SoB”

Anyway, if Park once wanted to engage Lily to do a job, then maybe that’s why he purposely put CDG at an all glass window curtain less safe house, knowing how she works, thus indirectly but deliberately trying to get CDG killed too. 

• Like 3