[Drama 2018] Thirty But Seventeen, 서른이지만열일곱입니다

meechuttso

Hi everyone that can't seem to get over this drama!  I also wish they would do a special of some sort...they owe us that much after cutting so many scenes...at least compile all the deleted scenes right?!  I request a Season 2: Married life :D

I remember someone asked for the violin pieces...sorry I can't remember who and if anyone ever found it for you...hope you are reading this...but someone on youtube made a playlist:

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/18/2018 at 9:10 PM, Ni Wen said:

Choco pie, measuring tape, plunger, bridge and the word Crescendo will never be the same again without thinking of WJ and SR. 

The show may have ended but SR and WJ will stay in my heart forever. And 3017 will remain the best show and my most favourite and healing  romcom that i have ever watched for a long time to come.

I love all the these things and agree wholeheartedly! Of the forty plus korean dramas I've watched, this one is in my top three.

On 9/18/2018 at 9:16 PM, dftio said:

Did anyone else LOL at jennifer's over the top winter fashion as she strutted down the street with that blistering sun? :D

YES! And with that hilarious dramatic background music that they use every time she struts down the street?! Comedic gold.

@dftio and @anjuliet Thank you for your kind words. Glad you could relate to what I shared. Thank you too for all your lovely insights!

@sunshine92 Thank you for linking to the classical playlist! So great that this show even brought us more music appreciation. Listening to it now as I’m writing.

@Ni Wen OMG I was so giddy about the show ending I didn’t even realize that. You’re right. Some parts from the preview went missing! It’d be unconventional, but I wish that the DVD could include those deleted scenes… Probably result from live shoot plus change in episode count. That being said, I’m so impressed with how writer/PD/actors/editors rolled with the punches and put together such an amazing drama. Also, it sounds nutty, but I love the live shoot dramas so much more than the pre-produced? There’s something about the flaws and the rush that make it more natural. Pre-productions tend to be too glossy and pristine for me. (And I think you apologized for being an overly zealous fan? Haha, please no need to apologize!! I love all your thoughts and comments. I feel like I’m an over zealous fan too haha)

@meechuttso Wow, I really appreciate you writing out that entire segment that I was referring to, in both English and Korean, and with a transcript of the scenes shown. The words are really powerful paired with the imagery from the start of the show to its finish—so much character growth!! Yes, let’s collect the treasure that is glittering all around us… And of course, ohhh YSJ’s voice… Count me in on the audiobook order!!

@BlueNotes YSJ’s “I didn’t hear!!!” in the kiss BTS clip had me smiling in glee. Maybe director said “cut” very softly on purpose. I know I would have done that ;) 

I’d like to echo and add to @bonuibonui ’s beautiful lessons learned in response to:

On 9/18/2018 at 10:42 PM, meechuttso said:
And feel free to tell us why that moment or the words or the scene is special to you - for me, Woo-Jin's reply is so perfect here, and to see him mope and cry after saying the brave 'right thing' for his love, well, it was just too perfect but something I've longed to hear at times in my life - "choose what you feel is the best for you", but with such warmth and true selflessness.
  • As I am 27 this year and approaching 30, the themes around a person’s age and life stage in “30 but 17” are extremely applicable to me. I love what Heesoo shared when SR said, I wish/imagined that at 30 I’d be as capable and cool as you. The honest truth is that we are all learning to live our best, no matter the age. Sometimes I feel pressured to be at a certain point (dating/marriage, moving up in work), but I’d like to be like SR, WJ, and Chan who choose to focus on their own goals, in their own time.
  • One of my love languages is gifts, and we had beautiful examples of gift giving in this show. First part was when SR bought gifts when she thought she was moving out (still lol-ing just thinking about the scenario). Her house slippers for Jennifer, gloves for Chan, and earphones for WJ showed how much she had come to know each of them and cared for them. Then as @r047@mentioned were the second set of parting gifts, this time for Jennifer (tea, beautiful sparkly heels, tearful hugs, and an offer to drive). This reminded me to think of how I can continue to give creative and meaningful gifts to those around me. It’s not about how lavish they are or any singular, but the heart that these things can convey.
  • I work as a school counselor at a high school, and I adore the spotlight on unique, but real careers these characters had/were pursuing in 3017. From HT as a neurologist, to a florist aunt, businessman uncle, actively recruited rowing champ, high school students, professor/conductor, set designer, performance musician, overseas traveling surgeon, hospice care nurse, hard laborer, psychologist, and musical therapist… This sounds nerdy, but I love the realistic representation across career fields!
  • The concepts/analogies of “intermission” and “crescendo”. SR really believes in a growth mindset and that’s part of what makes her such a healing character. Instead of viewing pain or a setback as the end or a stop, she sees it as a time to get ready for the next set of music! Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/1207851-there-is-no-music-in-a-rest-but-there-is. As for crescendo, I’ll never forget how all my music/band teachers have stressed that a crescendo is meant to be gradual swell in both emphasis and volume! It’s not a change in tempo, it is not a staccato or an accent, it is a built over the small moments. This fits the story (and growing in life) so well :) 
  • The nicknames! If you know me, I have a thing for nicknames and terms of endearment. Another show that did this really well for me was Strong Woman Do Bongsoon. Instead of the usual "oppa/noona", which I admit is fun too, it made all the characters seem more real because they had nicknames for each other. And even for their pets... haha. 

I could go on and on forever wuah!!! One more thing. I loved WJ’s stuttering. And how he comes up with the worst excuses when SR teases him (the noodles aren’t spicy, I was just thirsty! i wasn’t crying a river, the wind was really strong!) HA! Oh. And his warnings (Just say no if someone asks you to eat ramen. if some guy says do you want a beer? don’t!). I LOVE HIM.

edit: @bairama !!!! So much love!! "It's okay to take it slowly and really live your moments" "I'll wait until you tell me you're ready" "I want to be the person you find most comfortable"!!

6 hours ago, dftio said:

Is anyone else kinda hoping for more articles about this drama? Even websites such a netizenbuzz isnt translating any korean audience reactions to the drama and its wrap up. Only outlet is really soompi.

:weary:

Ratings are good cause its obviously a good script but public reaction just seems so lacklustre, probably overridden by craze for Mr Sunshine? Sigh.

I hope at least SBS entertainment program next wk? Or is there an episode this week? Will cover the wrap up party. Please please please. I need a final dose of WJ and SR. 

http://gall.dcinside.com//board/lists?id=3017

is still the best place to go for the Korean fans. As you can see from the number of posts per day, it's going pretty strong. However if you read the comments there, the domestic fans aren't privy to any more of the couple than anyone else is. There hasn't been any post wrap interviews of the two mains, and certainly not of the pair together, beyond the token very short clips of their thanking everyone.

6 hours ago, r047 said:

@dftio there are sooo many articles in Korean, unfortunately no translation :(

There are a bunch of 'here is a picture of the group that will help us get over the loss of its ending' type photo articles, but very little substance worth translating.

But we do have some of Ahn Hyo-Seob, our beloved Chan, who's worthy of translation.

Here we go.

'30 But 17' Ahn Hyo-Seob "Acting with SHS, immersed thru one-sided crush experience"

IE002395372_PHT.jpg

From http://star.ohmynews.com/NWS_Web/OhmyStar/at_pg_w.aspx?CNTN_CD=A0002473655

[Interview] SBS <Thirty but Seventeen I Am> Yoo Chan role actor Ahn Hyo-Seob

18.09.20 09:43

'Burned with White Heat' - like that phrase, Ahn Hyo-Seob poured all his energy into '30But17' all summer long. Having finished the shooting 2 days ago and the wrap-up party the day before, still remaining fresh on Ahn Hyo-Seob's face was Yoo Chan's expressions and image.

On the 19th at Seoul Shin-Sa village at a cafe, actor Ahn Hyo-Seob's wrap-up interview is happening. Ahn Hyo-Seob acted in the role of high school student Yoo Chan in the SBS M/Tu drama 'Thirty But Seventeen I Am', which ended on the 18th.

"A drama precious in my life, an unforgettable time."

Spoiler

IE002395372_PHT.jpg

"From the hottest temperature summer to the time of refreshing autumn winds blowing a little I was doing shooting - it was a time of such happiness that I was unaware of how it all went by. It was truly a beautiful drama I think, and watching it, I, too, received much healing. I don't know that I would ever be able to do such a great work again."

Ahn Hyo-Seob expressed that he felt much joy and happiness from the congenial and harmonious atmosphere of the shooting scene. However just as this summer's severely high heat was a concern, we wondered if he suffered much in the role of 'sports genius' crew team star role.  At this question Ahn Hyo-Seob replied, "the heat was difficult (to deal with)", and "Yoo Chan is a kids who's always overflowing with energy, so a large amount of energy consumed in the shoots, I think."

To prepare for the crew team role, he actually went to Mi-Sa-Ri competition location and worked under the crew team coach for 2 months just like the real athletes, he explained. "To appear like a real rower athlete I worked out so much that in spite of eating much food, I lost weight," and "about 8-9 kilograms (~18-20 pounds) I lost, and now my waist is about 26-inches," he explained.

What were things he had to mind in particular in order for Ahn Hyo-Seob to act in the role of Yoo Chan? At this question, he stated, "I am currently 24 years old, but Yoo Chan being a high schooler, I had to try hard to recall my high school year emotions," and "the Yoo Chan I have in mind is freshness and simplicity personified."**
**simplicity = purity/innocence
**personified = crystallized

"Thanks to Yoo Chan, became more happy ('bright') in real life."

Spoiler

IE002395373_PHT.jpg

Yoo Chan, overflowing with energy, vs Ahn Hyo-Seob in real life, how are they similar? "In high school I was the opposite of Yoo Chan. Didn't talk much and went to school quietly," he stated. As such, Ahn Hyo-Seob had no choice but to try especially hard to work in Yoo Chan's role.

"From even before the shooting began I tried hard to laugh (smile) more. My temperament naturally tends to focus on the cons and on the negative side, but doing 'always positive' Yoo Chan role I had to smile much. After the shooting was done, in fact I laugh (smile) more, and the tips of my mouth seem to have curved up more."

How was working together with Shin Hye-Sun and Yang Se-Jong? Ahn Hyo-Seob said, "watching Shin Hye-Sun-nim's*** approach to partaking a role and her way of analyzing it, I learned much. Yang Se-Jong-nim's posture of taking on a role, of course, is unique, and his way of expressing seemed fresh to me, so I learned much," he stated.
*** sun-bae-nim = honorifics for senior member in the craft, more experienced

Ahn Hyo-Seob, who had to act in the role of suffering a one-sided crush, in real life, "during high school I have done one-sided crush," and, "at the time I was a passive personality, so I couldn't confess (to her) and just dealt with it on my own," he revealed. And "because of that (experience) I could immerse myself in the emotions of unrequited love well," he added.

"Direction, more than speed... Headed in the good direction."

Spoiler

IE002395377_PHT.jpg

"Life is not about velocity, but about direction."

That is what he chose, when asked to pick a line that was most memorable in the role. Ahn Hyo-Seob says he of course had been running straight looking only up ahead, but while doing this drama he gained a chance to look around him. At such a response, we asked if Ahn Hyo-Seob is in fact living life in that mode.

"I think that since I am doing work that I love, I am headed in a good direction. More than resting, I am happier when I am working. There's still a long way to go, I think, but the fact that I can continue is the important point. I am in fact the type to not pay much attention to the future or the past and focus on the present, so I don't know what's going to happen in the future, but I am doing my very best at the moment. I am satified in the present moment."

Ahn Hyo-Seob says he is happy because he can do acting which he loves to do, and that acting is becoming more and more fun. And saying, "in the past it was a mix of burden and nervousness which made it hard to enjoy while working, but while doing this work I found much more leisure and was also able to express myself in a way that I wanted to express them," he smiled.

Ahn Hyo-Seob said he really wants to do a movie. Saying, "I want to try a dark, noir genre role also," and "one who can make each moment to moment seem realistic is what a good actor is, I think," he added.

Spoiler

IE002395375_PHT.jpg

IE002395380_PHT.jpg

@meechuttso translator note. I enjoyed doing this bit because it reminded me so much of exactly 2 years ago when there were many such interviews of Shin Hye-Sun coming off of her much loved supporting role in '5 Children'. I also did some of Sung-Hoon at the time. It's pretty fun and exciting to read interviews of Supporting Actor/Actresses who are on the cusp of appearing in their own lead roles soon - how they made their important opportunities they got thru luck and hard work count for their longer term acting careers - it's all very heart-warming. I felt this was essentially a semi-lead role (much more than a supporting role) for AHS. Seeing what he gained from this experience and how he's gained a foothold in our hearts thru Chan, I know I'll be watching for more of, that's for sure. ;) Thank you AHS! You rocked Chan!

2 hours ago, m-sq said:

@meechuttso Wow, I really appreciate you writing out that entire segment that I was referring to, in both English and Korean, and with a transcript of the scenes shown. The words are really powerful paired with the imagery from the start of the show to its finish—so much character growth!! Yes, let’s collect the treasure that is glittering all around us… And of course, ohhh YSJ’s voice… Count me in on the audiobook order!!

When one door to happiness closes,
Another, different, door to happiness can open, it is said.

But many a people
Are busy staring only at the door that is already closed
That they go on living not even aware that there is another door.

It's possible, that another different door of happiness
May not be a particularly special or grandiose thing, we don't know.

It's possible, that a really small and trifling
Thing that doesn't even seem worthy of consideration
May be the other different door of happiness that is opened for us.

Not even realizing that it can be opened
That small ceiling window in my room that had always been closed,
After she taught me the know-how of opening it,
Just like how that window became for me another different door of happiness.

If only we were to not continue squatting in front of the closed door
Before it becomes too late,
If we would turn to see the different door of happiness wide open for us.

If we would muster up the courage to walk step by step towards that door once more,
Perhaps that which we had not even had a knowledge of,
Those brilliant happiness(es), can be discovered, you never know....

One more chance to hear that heartwarming voice of YSJ tell us what the story was about. Let's read along and watch and listen, with our hearts. :wub:

This one too good to pass up. Like 30 other ones.... :kiss_wink:  Well said, @bairama

3 hours ago, bairama said:

How to understanding your partner..

This is so love :heart:

Hi all,

If you are interested in the Director's Cut Blu-ray/DVDs, please register your interest using the Google form. As previously posted, they are conducting a survey now. These numbers will be a contributing factor whether or not SBS will indeed release the drama as DVDs.

Blu ray/DVD FAQs

Spoiler

- What is the difference between Blu-ray and DVD ? 

Blu-ray is a disc that has a 1080 resolution (1920x1080).
The price is expected to 220,000-230,000KRW. And you need a separate device or a ODD to play a disc.
DVD is a disc that has a 480 resolution (720x480). The price is expected to 120,000KRW. You can play the disc on your PC and laptop.

- What is the difference between director's cut, premium, making ?

Director's cut contains an edited version of the episodes, other bonus contents and special features.
Premium version contains the original episodes, other bonus contents and special features.
Making contains making video only.

-What are the bonus contents and special features that can be added ?

The bonus contents will include 
the writer/director/actors' commentaries and interviews, 
unpublished behind-the-scenes, 
bloopers and more. 
Special features will include
scripts( according to writer's decision, scripts can be every episodes or one episode.), 
photo book ( usually 100-120p),
drama poster,
unreleased OST,
props related to the drama,
numbering cards,
or other additional benefits.

- The manufacturing process of blu-ray / dvd 

Saffs recruitment  >>  survey imaginary demand  >>  negotiate with the production company after checking the amount of demands  >>  confirm‎ manufacturing  >> prepayment  >> negotiate contents and prepayment specials  >> manufacturing 
(It can take about 6 months to 1 year)

- Why do we need a imaginary demand survey? 

The higher imaginary demand, the more advantageous for buyers to negotiate on special features.
And a production company determines whether it's possible to start making Blu-ray discs after watching amounts of imaginary demands. Therefore, it's crucial that large amounts of imaginary demands are fullfilled for Blu-ray and DVD to be produced.
(Generally, 50% of demands are considered actual demands.)

There is no monetary cost to submitting the demand survey.
After submitting the imaginary demand survey, it does not mean you must purchase the Blu-ray/DVD.
Also, even if you don't submit your demand right now, you can still decide your purchase on actual purchase.

source: http://cafe.daum.net/still17DVD/kadu

7 minutes ago, mademoisellesia said:

Hi all,

If you are interested in the Director's Cut Blu-ray/DVDs, please register your interest using the Google form. As previously posted, they are conducting a survey now. These numbers will be a contributing factor whether or not SBS will indeed release the drama as DVDs.

Blu ray/DVD FAQs

Reveal hidden contents

- What is the difference between Blu-ray and DVD ? 

Blu-ray is a disc that has a 1080 resolution (1920x1080).
The price is expected to 220,000-230,000KRW. And you need a separate device or a ODD to play a disc.
DVD is a disc that has a 480 resolution (720x480). The price is expected to 120,000KRW. You can play the disc on your PC and laptop.

- What is the difference between director's cut, premium, making ?

Director's cut contains an edited version of the episodes, other bonus contents and special features.
Premium version contains the original episodes, other bonus contents and special features.
Making contains making video only.

-What are the bonus contents and special features that can be added ?

The bonus contents will include 
the writer/director/actors' commentaries and interviews, 
unpublished behind-the-scenes, 
bloopers and more. 
Special features will include
scripts( according to writer's decision, scripts can be every episodes or one episode.), 
photo book ( usually 100-120p),
drama poster,
unreleased OST,
props related to the drama,
numbering cards,
or other additional benefits.

- The manufacturing process of blu-ray / dvd 

Saffs recruitment  >>  survey imaginary demand  >>  negotiate with the production company after checking the amount of demands  >>  confirm‎ manufacturing  >> prepayment  >> negotiate contents and prepayment specials  >> manufacturing 
(It can take about 6 months to 1 year)

- Why do we need a imaginary demand survey? 

The higher imaginary demand, the more advantageous for buyers to negotiate on special features.
And a production company determines whether it's possible to start making Blu-ray discs after watching amounts of imaginary demands. Therefore, it's crucial that large amounts of imaginary demands are fullfilled for Blu-ray and DVD to be produced.
(Generally, 50% of demands are considered actual demands.)

There is no monetary cost to submitting the demand survey.
After submitting the imaginary demand survey, it does not mean you must purchase the Blu-ray/DVD.
Also, even if you don't submit your demand right now, you can still decide your purchase on actual purchase.

source: http://cafe.daum.net/still17DVD/kadu

@mademoisellesia Thank you for the translation. I managed to fill out the Google form earlier (they finally added an English translation on the actual link). I spent a week since signing up on the website trying to find the darn thing. :sweatingbullets:

1 hour ago, mademoisellesia said:

If you are interested in the Director's Cut Blu-ray/DVDs

If by director's cut they mean the story the director/writer wanted to tell but couldn't, I'm in. I felt like there were so many questions unanswered we should have gotten...

1. Why did they uncle lie about not being in Seoul that day? It is apparent he and the aunt loved each other very much until he died so why the lie?

2. Why was Jennifer estranged from her family?

3. After 3-4 episodes of the mystery lady in yellow shoes popping in and out of the episodes, we only saw her at the end of the last episode. How is she related to Jennifer? What was the significance of those scenes?

4. Why did the aunt suddenly leave? What happened that made her make such a drastic decision? She didn't spend the money she got for the house. What exactly happened to cause that chain of events other than the uncle dying? 

I could go on and on. I'm so disappointed in how this beautiful show ended.

So for the rest of us here who can't read Korean, I finally found some translated opinions of Knetz! Thought it'll be nice to share some of it. It was nice to see they thought really similarly to us, as @meechuttso had mentioned!

What I found really cute is that the korean fans call him King Gojong?? Lol. I noticed from their radio interview that fans were already kinda alluding to his name being "Sejong" (ref King Sejong from Korean history). He really is amazing at acting and yet so shy and humble!

Anyone here who would have preferred Hyung Tae over Woo Jin? For me, Woojin was a character that was too well played despite HT's unfortunate circumstances. Who can forget WJ's priceless expression(s) when he claimed SR as his girlfriend over multiple instances? :blush:

(credit to Nina @netizendrama wordpress)

Ep 27-28:

1.[+2336, -34] Today, Shin Hye Sun and Yang Se Jong’s tearful acting was daebak…the ending was a twist wow…I didn’t know Seo Ri liked him as well

2.[+1120, -18] Se Jong, You…with that voice and acting, I cried with him ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ 3017’s narrative is perfect ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ I like this drama it makes you feel better ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

3.[+600, -47] ㅠㅠㅠ Se Jong-ah Hye Sun-ah, your acting deserve a daesang

4.[+472, -16] Today’s ending was crazy…Seo Ri also liked Woo Jin…daebak

5.[+420, -16] Seriously their acting is so good~ they don’t exaggerate or understate..

6.[+254, -1] wow ㅠㅠ  I decided to watch this drama because it’s pure and bright but the story is solid ㅠㅠ On the bus, Seo Ri didn’t ask Woo Jin because she didn’t know but because she liked him!! She already knew the way anyway, so it wasn’t Woo Jin’s fault, daebak ㅠ

7.[+247, -7] Yang Se Jong, Shin Hye Sun, this is exactly what you call an actor…Wow rookie monster wasn’t just words, he didn’t become a star out of luck, he really showed us a difficult acting

8.[+175, -2] They were each other’s first love. today was a complete fairy tale, their acting was daebak. Woo Jin-ah, thank you for coming back rather than running away

9.[+164,-2] How can a man be this innocent?

Ep 31-32:

1.[+2101, -14] At the end, the twist was from she didn’t go study abroad till they got married, It was really fun ㅋㅋㅋ It was a warm and enjoyable drama without a villain, It was happy till the end~ All the actors and staff, you have worked hard!!~

2.[+1171, -14] This is the first happy and perfect drama I’ve watched that doesn’t have any villain ㅠㅜㅠ I was really happy till the ending ^^

3.[+671, -7] The ending was so pretty ㅠㅠ What will I watch now?

4.[+498, -8] It was a very warm and healing drama, I think I will always remember it every summer

5.[+174, -9] There are a lot of scenes that came out on the preview but they didn’t show

6.[+141, -1] Everybody, don’t you think the last scene were they kissed and showed the child actors was so pretty????? The ending was on another level ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ I’m so happy ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

7.[+136, -3] In My life, out of the dramas I’ve watched this was perfect till the end

8.[+126, -1] Mr. Gong’s last line was a beautiful composition…I realized that the door of happiness can be a small part of our life, Thank you for being a good actor and for showing us a good acting…! Shin Hye Sun and Yang Se Jong are both my favorite actors from now on

9.[+101, -1] I’m already looking forward to the year-end awards ceremony! Seriously give Thirty but Seventeen team a lot of awards! There is not a lot of nice dramas like this

Naver – Sports Seoul:

1.[+1069, -10] ㅠㅠ but still he didn’t abandon Seo Ri…I can’t believe this is the end ㅠ I will miss Gong-SeoRi ㅠㅠ

2.[+623, -6] It was a really pure drama with no villains, I truly liked it~~ I felt good while watching it~~~

3.[+600, -5] King Gojong

4.[+287, -5] King Gojong has succeeded ㅜㅜ

5.[+295, -69] If it was me I would date the one who took care of me for 10 years

6.[+100, -6] The content didn’t overlap with her (Shin Hye Sun) previous drama, she showed us a new concept…Jung Eum-ah, do you see this? this is what you call acting…that doesn’t make you remember previous work

10 minutes ago, rolisrntex said:

If by director's cut they mean the story the director/writer wanted to tell but couldn't, I'm in. I felt like there were so many questions unanswered we should have gotten...

1. Why did they uncle lie about not being in Seoul that day? It is apparent he and the aunt loved each other very much until he died so why the lie?

3. After 3-4 episodes of the mystery lady in yellow shoes popping in and out of the episodes, we only saw her at the end of the last episode. How is she related to Jennifer? What was the significance of those scenes?

4. Why did the aunt suddenly leave? What happened that made her make such a drastic decision? She didn't spend the money she got for the house. What exactly happened to cause that chain of events other than the uncle dying? 

I see where you are coming from, and if I were to analyze the show in depth, there are definitely loopholes and missing scenes/explanations of stories dropped, but not answered to its full potential. But I think, like many of us here, I am prepared to overlook the finer details and enjoy the overall heartwarming message that was delivered, as well as revel in WJ-SR's sweet love story we got in the end (which I must say had too many unbelievable coincidences that really would not sit well in real life but heck, why not live in fairy tale land while it lasted? :rolleyes:)

Uncle not in Seoul-- I would just leave it to imagination, maybe he went searching for his business partner or the friend who caused his bankruptcy? Naturally he had to lie, so as to not worry his family.

Mystery lady-- Sister of Jennifer's husband. As to why Jennifer became estranged from her in-laws, I can only guess by conservative Korean family standards, she probably felt responsible for the loss of their child and could not face her husband's family as she was unable to keep their one and only offspring, hence left and avoided them on her own accord.

SR herself said, her uncle and aunt should have sold the house and spent the money if life was that difficult to sustain with bankruptcy and her hospital bills, but I suppose the writer wanted to keep all her characters "good", thus the Aunt was shown not to have touched the money. As SR mentioned, her Aunt is not related by blood, so she had no responsibility so to speak, to look after someone in a comatose state. We probably also have to consider that Aunt was pregnant, her husband died trying to keep SR alive and divorced her to keep the house, so Aunt may have had some resentment towards SR too, so she left. I believe initially the Aunt sold the house with the intention to make ends meet, but probably felt guilt from leaving SR despite her husband who loved his niece dearly, and just could not bring herself to spend the money.

Just my 2 cents worth, in the end, yup our drama is not perfect and despite me initially protesting profusely how rushed all the truths got revealed at once, just witnessing our main couple get their happiness at the end of the day was enough of a consolation.

I can only say its inevitable that the side stories get overlooked to match live filming and a rushed schedule.

I choose to remember their heartwarming story rather than lament what could have made it perfect. :)

When a show that I really love ends, I am generally filled with a sense of loss and it may take days, weeks, or even longer to be satisfied by any other drama.  But my reaction to 3017 has been completely different:  I feel at peace.  And I feel ready to move on to watch other dramas with a full heart.  I have never felt that way with any show before, and that is amazing.

The characters, the pacing of the show, and the ending have all been ultimately satisfying and good.  I just feel glad to have walked through that "different door to happiness." 

35 minutes ago, dftio said:

But I think, like many of us here, I am prepared to overlook the finer details and enjoy the overall heartwarming message that was delivered, as well as revel in WJ-SR's sweet love story we got in the end

Oh I get that. I'm a romantic old man and love a good love story as the next person. My wife says she enjoyed the ending. Personally, I feel like I picked up a good novel, skipped over 4 or 5 chapters and put the book down never reading the chapters I skipped. Just my $02. I wanted the whole book not 80% of it.

1 hour ago, rolisrntex said:

I understand how you feel. It's like watching Harry Potter movies versus reading the books. So much details were left out due to time constraints. I don't know how much clarification we would get in the Director's Cut DVDs either. I'm of the opinion that it is the scripts that'd give us all the answers. Unfortunately, if they do print the scripts, it would only be in Korean *jeom jeom jeom*

You can express interest first and decide later when it's definite they will make it into DVDs. These DVDs are not cheap at all and take 0.5 to a year to be available for sale. Another point to consider is whether or not you will still be interested in the drama by then (esp. when during the course of a year, you may fall in love with other dramas).

1 hour ago, rolisrntex said:

I see where you coming from and agree some part is not answered. but for nr. 1. I don´t think that SR ever gonna get the answer... the person that could answer why he lied is gone, and to me it is like real life where we often those not get every answer about be past. I think that he aunt leaving have to do with her husbands dead and she herself was in mental pain so she could not take care of SR and also maybe forgetting to handle the money. Even Soo ri was wondering about this. 

regarding Jennifer. I guess she was estranged from her family because like woo jin she become closed off after losing her husband and child. the lady in yellow i think was her sister, she was at least in some way related to her as she was present at the fathers grave. 

I agree with you that it would be nice getting more details, as we we could see that the writer had more in her mind, but I think they at least manage to answer all the big stuff :) 

@thistle I have the same feeling!! I usually avoid to watch the drama for which I develop withdrawal syndrome, but this is not the situation here. I can even start watching something else now. But still, please scold me if I plan to watch any live broadcast drama on SBS because one trauma was enough and more than enough :tongue:

6 minutes ago, r047 said:

@thistle I have the same feeling!! I usually avoid to watch the drama for which I develop withdrawal syndrome, but this is not the situation here. I can even start watching something else now. But still, please scold me if I plan to watch any live broadcast drama on SBS because one trauma was enough and more than enough :tongue:

Following live broadcasts can be so painful, especially if something ends unexpectedly and traumatically (like Hwayugi--I'm still not over it and I refuse to watch the last two episodes; thank goodness for re-caps because at least I knew that I didn't want to see).

But watching stuff in real time can also be really fun--like the way we all cried here together during episode 14.  That was just the best!  And I guess that's the sort of rare experience that will keep bringing me back to live broadcasts.  Hopefully I'll see you here for some of those.  The great moments can be worth the pain and the trauma.

:wub:

@thistle Yup, can't agree more. The fun and the moments we'll remember always is worth it! I develop a special attachment with dramas that I watch live, it's a feeling that I'm part of the drama family and cast members. Will be around for sure, hope that we can all meet in another drama, soon. :love:

Archived