[Drama 2018] Thirty But Seventeen, 서른이지만열일곱입니다

meechuttso

Oh my.... what a great episode last night was... For me it was very very well written. We got so much in just that one episode yet everything progressed very naturally. The multiple revelation towards the end of the episode was also well done. I was so glad for WJ's first reaction to discovering who SR really is. Him going to hug her was so unexpected in kdramaland but that is such a natural reaction. I was happy that we won't have noble idiot in this drama, but then, the preview had to slam me down to earth immediately <_< *helloooo, you're watching kdrama!!*

Back to the episode, the first 10 minutes is so full of love and warmth...WJ shines a lot in this episode. I love how wise and mature he is in handling a lot of things, including giving encouragement to Jennifer because he experienced similar been-there-done-that thing. Also when he was interacting with KHT and holding off Chan from overreacting. And then also when he gave a choice for SR to approach SooMi's columbarium niche by herself or accompanied.

I teared again when KHT went to hug SR and was rather upset with Chan for breaking the hug almost immediately. Yes, spoiler pic yesterday didn't live up to my expectation. I thought it was going to be just a little longer, at least let SR be the one to push him away. Anyway, I was feeling upset for KHT, but it wasn't long before I got disappointed in him for impatiently taking over being in charge of SR without getting to know more about what she went through first and also for lying to her about the true situation. I guess I can't really blame him though, he's been waiting for 13 years after all and was worried about SR's well being. Anyway, I was glad to see WJ being calm and sure in setting things right. And thank writer-nim for not dragging this too long because we see that very quickly also KHT sees that SR is in good care.

Chan-kun... Yay!! For winning the race!! I'm so glad he won and he felt confident about confessing to SR. I would really rather see this than witness him feel deflated if he didn't come in champion. But again, writer-nim was great in writing off his confession effort in a light way, which also goes to show us that his is the puppy crush (:P sorry if I offend ChanSR shipper. Is there any here?)

So mystery remains, what exactly did the aunt do to warrant such guilt towards SR?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I was happy that we won't have noble idiot in this drama, but then, the preview had to slam me down to earth immediately <_< *helloooo, you're watching kdrama!!*

Noble idiocy to a kdrama writer is like a moth is to a light at night. They just can't resist it.

Hello All, Silent lurker here. I just came out from the shadows to give my two cents.

It seems that there is a lot of negative feelings towards Hyun Tae.  I can understand how he feels. He did not look over SR for a day or two; he did it for 13 years. He witnessed her aunt running away and abandoning her. He observed her being left alone in that hospital. He was the only person who visited her during those years. He changed the course of his life because of her and her medical condition. 

We, the audience, know that WJ and Chan have been good to SR. But he does not know that. To him they are strangers.  Chan lied to him when he went to the house looking for her; this is enough to create distrust.  

Yes, he lied to SR about her family and her best friend. As a doctor, he might have believed that hiding the truth from her was the best thing at that moment since he had seen her or examined her since she woke up from the coma. He might have wanted to gauge her state before revealing the truth. 

He felt protective over her because for 13 years he was all that she had. I don’t think it’s about possession, but more about concerns. Yes, he is jealous because he seems to have romantic feelings for SR, but I think his actions and reactions are out of genuine concerns. 

And putting myself in his shoes, I would have been hurt if the person that I waited for 13 years woke up and told me that I felt more like a stranger to them. It’s human to feel hurt and disappointed. SR has had 13/26 episodes to come to terms with her new reality; he is just now having to face the fact that the friend he so longs for has not come back as he would have hoped for.

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

Chan-kun... Yay!! For winning the race!! I'm so glad he won and he felt confident about confessing to SR. I would really rather see this than witness him feel deflated if he didn't come in champion. But again, writer-nim was great in writing off his confession effort in a light way, which also goes to show us that his is the puppy crush (:P sorry if I offend ChanSR shipper. Is there any here?)

Ya me! Raises hand not so sheepishly. But I love Chan so much, the girl with the bag over her head (LoL) would be fine for him too, I just want him to be appreciated without conflict for how awesome he is, even though he's not fully grown up yet - he's a bit above the people in the movie Wall-E, who can't do anything outside of their little life support cocoons - Chan can eat the food that's given him, like 24 corn dogs at a time, or row his butt off really fast! Other than that, gets confused if he has to think at all, like trying to follow navigation instructions in Korean, supposedly his native tongue.

But here's my continued tribute to Chan, who really brings one of the writer's themes of this story into focus.

tumblr_pevcrtLAHY1valxs7o3_r1_500.gif The Knight requests a favor from his Lady

tumblr_pevcrtLAHY1valxs7o4_r1_500.gif And with the strength from her beautiful hand,... slap, the boy Knight brings home the trophy for the Lady! :love::love: Never mind that his uncle's the one with the excalibur - he earned this hand holding moment.

EDIT

3 minutes ago, auroredawn said:

We, the audience, know that WJ and Chan have been good to SR. But he does not know that. To him they are strangers.  Chan lied to him when he went to the house looking for her; this is enough to create distrust. 

Thank you @auroredawn for speaking up for many, and welcome! I agree with all of your points - if I had a wish for this drama from the very beginning, it'd be a bit more nuanced interpretation of all the characters, but I don't think that's going to happen. So I've been trying to focus on the things the writer does well. But yea, I really really hope to see more of Yoon Sun-Woo the actor (for this Dr. Kim Hyung-Tae role) in many other dramas, especially because he got gypped big time here in 30b17.

Here's more links to Actor Yoon Sun-Woo, the good doctor. :innocent:

http://asianwiki.com/Yoon_Sun-Woo

https://www.instagram.com/yoonsxx/

https://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/윤선우

I really know better than this, because I know we're in kdrama land, But SM, SR, and HT, were all friends when they were 17 right? SR says that grown up HT is like a stranger to her. Would that mean that if SM didn't die, grown up SM would've felt like a stranger to SR too? Just sayin' ...

Okay "Suspend Disbelief" turned back on... ;)

I'm crying since Seo-ri cried in hospital park and Woo-jin found her 'my friend.. The bus..' and the hug when he finally knew it was Su-mi and the girl he feels guilty is Seo-ri.. Aaahh:bawling:

I'm kinda pity for the doc that he has this fate of one sided love because the timing never make his chance to. I admire his choice to stay believe in Seo-ri as his love (or kinda dumb..), anyway his time paused too, and he had that sincere reason. If only Seo-ri stayed much longer in rehab hospital, he will have a slight of. But thanks to Woo-jin, the complete stranger with crossed paths makes Seo-ri healed with all of the truth reveals naturally to her. I don't think with doc's mind she will face the real life as real as it is, because he hides so much, lie with the sake to 'protect' her. But what Woo-jin does, as he steady, he IS the real guardian and the doc just need to learn and face the truth.. The doc kinda trapped in 17 mind of his love to a friend and being greedy about that.. 

4 hours ago, j9sshi said:

I really know better than this, because I know we're in kdrama land, But SM, SR, and HT, were all friends when they were 17 right? SR says that grown up HT is like a stranger to her. Would that mean that if SM didn't die, grown up SM would've felt like a stranger to SR too? Just sayin' ...

Okay "Suspend Disbelief" turned back on... ;)

That’s exactly why I was so frustrated! SR and HT went to school together, they probably have known each since elementary school and yet she treats him as a stranger? I don’t condone HT’s possessive behaviour but the way SR treated him made me really mad. I bet if Soo Mi didn’t die, SR wouldn’t treat her like that after waking up from coma. Wasn’t SR searching for him before? Would she tell him the same thing if she found him? “Oh I was searching for you, but you feel like a stranger to me, back off. Oh but Soo Mi is OK,  she’s still my bestie.”

Did they change the writer or something? I think she treated HT really unfairly.

@j9sshi @aisling hhmmm I think it could be because in her head, HT was this fun dude who aspired to be a singer/hiphop artist. She asked for Jennifer to look up if there's a singer named Kim Hyung Tae, right? So I guess that's how she remembers him. Now that Present HT is different from her expectations, I guess she was surprised, too. He seemed like the sweet troublemaker kid so I guess she didn't see him as a doctor type. :)

Every time I see sbsnow_insta do an update about this drama, I get so tempted to ask them why they decided to cut this drama and give them a piece of my mind about it. :joy:

Laptop all set up for this afternoon's episode and pack of tissues at the ready. 

4 hours ago, meechuttso said:

Sorry for consecutive posts. Now that the fun's over, this looks like his goodbye kiss before his departure to the airport in the next Episode 14 (27/28). :confounded:

as i mention on my previous post Mr Gong will think it is his fault that SR got in that accident

I don't remember the last time a drama's preview absolutely terrified me "Mr Gong where are you going "Germany !!!!!!!i hope he will stay and become

27820541f13c597627022c1d80d407a3df8b015f

Ri-an is absolute scene stealer 

e75bc1a3ec18e65274a5968abfbd290f7ba811cd

Its so funny how we get one sweet little scene between our OTP last week and everyone goes spastic and the discussion/posts do not stop coming. It shows how excited and elated us followers of the drama were, that allowed such an outpour of joy.

Come this week and we have a mediocre episode, rushed and at times with poor editing or senseless scenes (like HT running out of nowhere to hug SR), and the posts slow down significantly.

Sorry guys, I know I have ranted plenty now, but I can't help feeling disappointed how our delicate story, with smooth editing, healing and calm acting just got hijacked to accomodate a new drama. If anything the revelations should have been done throughout the 1 hour duration of that episode. I mean, the angst built up over 12 episodes all just came unravelled in what, the last 12 minutes?!

Let's just hope that since most of the bombs have been dropped and there are 3 more episodes left, that we can return to the reasonable editing and fine storyline we have had. And please let us enjoy more moments and sweet times with our OTP as we watch WJ step out of his shadow and SR achieve her dream to perform again!

53 minutes ago, butwhatever said:

@j9sshi @aisling hhmmm I think it could be because in her head, HT was this fun dude who aspired to be a singer/hiphop artist. She asked for Jennifer to look up if there's a singer named Kim Hyung Tae, right? So I guess that's how she remembers him. Now that Present HT is different from her expectations, I guess she was surprised, too. He seemed like the sweet troublemaker kid so I guess she didn't see him as a doctor type. :)

Ya, his mistake was growing up while she was sleeping. If Dr HT remained a child at heart, like many of us in this room, maybe, by breaking out into a rap song and expressing his crush on her like he used to, Seo-Ri may have responded better. By luck, Mr Gong had the unfair advantage of adorable Fan the dog, child-hearted Chan for nephew at his house to befriend her first, all her stuff in the secret room, all that to relate to Seo-Ri the teenager, and he himself kind of stuck frozen at that age still. Hyung-Tae lives by himself and exists in an adult world, something Seo-Ri feels awkward about still. :confounded:

Spoiler

But here in my remark I am suspending my logic and ignoring the absolute 800 lb gorilla in the room - selective remembrance and lack of recognition of key individuals by  both Seo-Ri and Woo-Jin that does make one question if. the writer threw in the towel and is just making it up as she goes at this point. :crazy:

3 hours ago, butwhatever said:

This is very true and I myself have experienced it in real life. I moved to another country many years now and when I go back to visit my high school friends some of them are not that friendly even though I remember our friendships and shenanigans as if it was yesterday. The time apart can create distance and Soo Ri obviously feels it especially when the boy she knew turned into a grown man. Just like she woke up and had to get used to herself which frightened her, she has to get used to this person who is her friend but not as she remembered. Soo Ri had to get used to the world that changed so much while she was sleeping and we were there on the journey with her and saw how much she struggled in the beginning trying to adapt. All she needs is time to reconnect with this friend. 

7 hours ago, meechuttso said:

source

Sorry for consecutive posts. Now that the fun's over, this looks like his goodbye kiss before his departure to the airport in the next Episode 14 (27/28). :confounded:

Thanks for these great shots.  Is it my overactive imagination or is SR sleeping in WJ’s bed?  Did they spend the night together?  No...not what you are thinking but most likely WJ comforting SR, heartbroken over the loss of her friend.  If so, my heart goes out to WJ for doing that in the midst of probably having a serious PTSD episode.  I am over speculating again but I can’t help it with this show...

dammmn feel so bad for HT.... He went to school to become a doctor in hopes of helping her wake up and stayed by her side for 13 years but wasn't there when she woke up and basically lost his chance. As much as I love WJ and SR, I want HT to have a happy ending too!! I wish he and SR reconnected earlier!! It would have been hilarious to see jealous WJ for an episode before all this heart break happens. 

44 minutes ago, Dramanoona said:

So everything is revealed except for who paid the bills (most likely tonight episode)

Biggest possibility is the mystery man, seen in the preview when the nurse called HT. The mystery man is there.

Archived